PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

Pages : [1] 2

30-03-2014, 03:13 PM
get the **** out the club you utterly useless waste of space! offers us absolutely nothing!

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 03:15 PM
His finishing is dreadful but I don't think he's helped by the back 4 launching it forward in his direction but not to him.

Still if we could afford Rooney (Adam) we'd have signed him.

CallumLaidlaw
30-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Pointless singling out one player, as we'll end up with about 11 different threads. One for each player.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Would have been better off spending the money on Griff ot Lyle Taylor.

Northernhibee
30-03-2014, 03:16 PM
get the **** out the club you utterly useless waste of space! offers us absolutely nothing!

That's the spirit.

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Believe it or not Dundee United wanted him pre-season - maybe Jackie Mac will have some sympathy and take him up the road.

He's on a big wage mate, unless someone comes in for him (highly unlikely) or we pay him off (costly), he's here for a bit yet.

Which is putting me off my soon to be expired cheesecake :greengrin

Awful player, maybe make a better centre half.

neil7908
30-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Was excited when he first joined but he looks more and more lost as time goes on. Part of me still thinks there is a player in there though - like Craig he has done well at other teams of a similar level than Hibs so I really do wonder why he looks so lost with us?

I do think it must be tough being a forward in this current Hibs team. Whoever plays looks completely isolated. How many times do we get the ball passed to feet? It always gets hoofed up and invariably he is playing by himself with no support from the midfield.

wynnie1875
30-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Why Butcher keeps persisting with him is beyond belief. Offers nothing. Doesn't seem capable of even jumping to try and win a header. And we've got a proven goal scorer sitting on the bench. I couldn't give a ***** if Butcher doesn't like Heffernan. He should be playing his strongest team. We all know Collins will be the first name on the team sheet next week though.

DarrenSQH
30-03-2014, 03:20 PM
He is just terrible

30-03-2014, 03:20 PM
That's the spirit.

Well i'm sorry but there is no point sugar coating it, the guy is utterly useless, apart from his goal against hearts in january he has done absolutely nothing to impress me. What a chance he had today to equalise, Watmore laid it on a plate for him!

I know he wasn't the only bad player for us today but I have said for months that he's useless and today he just confirmed it, he was absolutely rank.

emerald green
30-03-2014, 03:25 PM
No point in beating about the bush any more. He's f****** murder. What's the odds though, if he went to another club, he would start banging in the goals?

bigwheel
30-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Why Butcher keeps persisting with him is beyond belief. Offers nothing. Doesn't seem capable of even jumping to try and win a header. And we've got a proven goal scorer sitting on the bench. I couldn't give a ***** if Butcher doesn't like Heffernan. He should be playing his strongest team. We all know Collins will be the first name on the team sheet next week though.

When Butcher picks one up front, he can not start with Heffernan. He can't play that role. Frankly, Collins is the only forward we have who could give it a go...and he even he must hate it. He is clearly very low on confidence and it shows in how he snatches at chances. He gives everything he can for the team though - might not be good enough - but you can't ask any more.

Why the OP picked on Collins I have no idea....

Davy Mac
30-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Was excited when he first joined but he looks more and more lost as time goes on. Part of me still thinks there is a player in there though - like Craig he has done well at other teams of a similar level than Hibs so I really do wonder why he looks so lost with us?

I do think it must be tough being a forward in this current Hibs team. Whoever plays looks completely isolated. How many times do we get the ball passed to feet? It always gets hoofed up and invariably he is playing by himself with no support from the midfield.

But he can't seem to make the ball stick which is what he should be able to do as a striker, also he doesn't play on the shoulder of defenders and he certaintly doesn't run the channels. Also so one paced.

He is not a centre forward and to be fair I don't have an answer for it but like a lot of previous signings they have not been bought to be part of a master plan they were bought cause they had to, affordability and hoping they will fit into the system.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Keep trying to give him a chance but he's shown nothing.

He works hard but he seems most comfortable about 40 yards away from goal which is no good to anybody. He has zero goal threat and is a shocking finisher, not just the balloon over the bar today, he has missed a load of decent chances this season.

Shame it didn't work out but there must be better available.

30-03-2014, 03:29 PM
I've been saying Collins is murder for months, this is not just based solely on todays performance, as dire as it was.

Gustavo Fring
30-03-2014, 03:29 PM
No point in beating about the bush any more. He's f****** murder. What's the odds though, if he went to another club, he would start banging in the goals?

:top marks

dave62
30-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Collins' confidence is obviously shot, so why Butcher persists in playing him on his own up front when it seems our only attacking tactic is to punt the ball in his general direction beats me.

erin go bragh
30-03-2014, 03:38 PM
How he stayed on the park for 90 mins ill never know
Our entire team were honking today . Big big clear out required imho . The unwashed celebrating today was like a prisoner on death row getting a reprieve for a week . Message to all the puddle drinkers ! Your still going down !!

Ggtth

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2014, 03:39 PM
He's up there with Scott and fyffe Joe ward and Bobby Thompson, in regards of you just ask yourself why?

Greenblood70
30-03-2014, 03:42 PM
He is lacking all the basic abilities required for a decent striker, touch, pace, awareness, cool head when a chance presents itself, he has none of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobby's Cinema
30-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Put a zero next to Hibs when this mans name is on the team sheet. We have persisted with him and he continues to show us so so little. He cannot be the answer

Calum68
30-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Might not be the best but by no means the worst. What chance does he have when we just hoof the ball up the pitch? I think if we played proper football and gave him decent service he'd do a lot better.

Not sure why he was singles out by the OP. Could understand it if the post was about Maybury, Nelson or McGivern

sesoim
30-03-2014, 03:53 PM
To be fair to Collins, he had no support as usual - Handling didn't help him at all. The long deep balls from McGivern and Stevenson were pointless as it is clear he is useless in the air, but even if he had won headers Handling and co were never close enough to him for any knockdowns.

I'm fully behind Butcher but I think his tactics have been shocking lately - surely we would have been better off with Heffernan up front and Collins in the deeper position that Handling was occupying. I also think Thomson should have started in the centre and Craig should have played on the left instead of Stevenson. For me, Stevenson and Taewo are too slow and both want to just take the easy option all the time.

But frankly, apart from Harris, Stanton and Forster, I've more or less given up on all of the players playing today.

Sir David Gray
30-03-2014, 03:55 PM
He's not good enough for us. I've seen him time and time again this season and he looks extremely average on nearly every time I've seen him.

He doesn't look like a natural goalscorer.

Weststandwanab
30-03-2014, 03:55 PM
He is just terrible A bit harsh.

But difficult to disagree.

No point in beating about the bush any more. He's f****** murder. What's the odds though, if he went to another club, he would start banging in the goals?Probably because he would get ammunition there.

Bobby's Cinema
30-03-2014, 03:57 PM
To be fair to Collins, he had no support as usual - Handling didn't help him at all. The long deep balls from McGivern and Stevenson were pointless as it is clear he is useless in the air, but even if he had won headers Handling and co were never close enough to him for any knockdowns.

I'm fully behind Butcher but I think his tactics have been shocking lately - surely we would have been better off with Heffernan up front and Collins in the deeper position that Handling was occupying. I also think Thomson should have started in the centre and Craig should have played on the left instead of Stevenson. For me, Stevenson and Taewo are too slow and both want to just take the easy option all the time.

But frankly, apart from Harris, Stanton and Forster, I've more or less given up on all of the players playing today.
That's fair. But Collins doesn't appear to have ability to create the slightest opportunity for himself. He struggles badly in this league

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 04:01 PM
That's fair. But Collins doesn't appear to have ability to create the slightest opportunity for himself. He struggles badly in this league

He reminds me very much of Barry Lavety - and Barry was an overated tub of football lard. Similar style, similar technique, similar running style, similar goals tally.......in fact, is it Barry wearing a James Collins fat suit ? :cb

James, yer utter lilian gish - go and just leave in summer - mind your agent will need more tricks up his sleeve than Dynamo :aok:

wynnie1875
30-03-2014, 04:02 PM
When Butcher picks one up front, he can not start with Heffernan. He can't play that role. Frankly, Collins is the only forward we have who could give it a go...and he even he must hate it. He is clearly very low on confidence and it shows in how he snatches at chances. He gives everything he can for the team though - might not be good enough - but you can't ask any more.

Okay. Well let's just keep playing this so called football player. He can't jump, slow, can't control a ball, can't hold it up. Centre halves must love playing against him. Heffernan is a far more intelligent footballer, he'd at least give defenders sonething to think about. And he would've buried that chance Collins sent into row z. Giving your all isn't good enough. Give me a lazy goal scorer over a headless chicken everytime.

sesoim
30-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Keep trying to give him a chance but he's shown nothing.

He works hard but he seems most comfortable about 40 yards away from goal which is no good to anybody. He has zero goal threat and is a shocking finisher, not just the balloon over the bar today, he has missed a load of decent chances this season.

Shame it didn't work out but there must be better available.

That's why I think, if we are going to play Collins at all, we should play him behind the main striker. That way he wont have aimless balls pumped up to him, and he can maybe rebuild his confidence by having the main striker role taken away from him. He isn't bad receiving the ball and laying it off, but clearly he is so low in confidence now he isn't getting himself into the goalscoring positions a main striker should be.

It isn't Collins' fault Fenlon wasted so much money on him, and money aside, he is still better than, say Handling, who barely gets near the ball, is soft, falls down a lot and provides absolutely zero goal threat.

GodisaHibee
30-03-2014, 04:04 PM
waste of time, space and money

gegs70
30-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Too often in the first half the ball was lumped too far in front of him or was constantly up in the air. having said that he didn't chase many lost causes.

gegs70
30-03-2014, 04:06 PM
That said he couldn't hit a barn door!

Diclonius
30-03-2014, 04:06 PM

Amen to that.

neil7908
30-03-2014, 04:07 PM

I agree with a lot of this, especially the last line. There is a formation and team I have in my head that I think sounds pretty hopeful. The problem is that the players simply do not seem to be able to keep the ball on the deck, find a player in green and move for each other. Whether Butcher is telling them to play it long, they have just given up or there are enough lacking basic passing ability I'm not sure.

However, I heard a lot earlier when TB joined about the players not fitting into Butchers 'system' - my concern now is what is his system? How does he want his team to play? If Haynes, Watmore and Boateng cannot fit into it who's to say the players he brings in over the summer will?

The other concern I have is that although I do expect there to be a clear out, we still have a number of players under contract (Collins was mentioned earlier in the thread) who will not be going anywhere. We need to try and integrate them into the team or get rid as quickly as possible. IMO part of the problem in January was the core of players who we openly wanted rid of but had no takers - it stops us bringing in replacements and create uncertainty amongst the squad.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 04:10 PM
We say that players aren't good enough for us, when the reality is that they're just not good "with" us.

He'd be banging them home for any of the other clubs in the league.

fife hfc
30-03-2014, 04:14 PM
We say that players aren't good enough for us, when the reality is that they're just not good "with" us.

:top marks The balls he gets played forward to him are horrendous and the one thing I'll say is that he kept on trying. handling was utterly useless and I'm not sure what he is actually meant to bring to the team. Collins would score goals in the right set up.

Ronniekirk
30-03-2014, 04:17 PM
:top marks The balls he gets played forward to him are horrendous and the one thing I'll say is that he kept on trying. handling was utterly useless and I'm not sure what he is actually meant to bring to the team. Collins would score goals in the right set up.
Fed up hearing this He had one chance in first half and commentators said it was criminal he couldn't hit target, which you won't if you lean back it's basic stuff .He is never going to be a Natural goalscorer IMO

eastterrace
30-03-2014, 04:18 PM

collins is gash , he got set up by watmore and he ballooned it over the bar he couldnae hit a barn door. the guys a lump o wid, ive tried to like him and given him chances but he is a poor player get rid if we can.

TRC
30-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Believe it or not Dundee United wanted him pre-season - maybe Jackie Mac will have some sympathy and take him up the road.

He's on a big wage mate, unless someone comes in for him (highly unlikely) or we pay him off (costly), he's here for a bit yet.

Which is putting me off my soon to be expired cheesecake :greengrin

Awful player, maybe make a better centre half.
At least we know he wouldnt score an own goal

gegs70
30-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I hope we didn't pay 200k for this guy?

Yuillsy
30-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Garbage. God knows how he scored so many for Swindon last season?
You could put him in any team in the league and he wouldn't score. He's missed an absolute sitter today, it was laid on a plate and he couldn't finish it. He's clearly lacking confidence but unfortunately for him and us he's also lacking every attribute needed to be a professional footballer!

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Fed up hearing this He had one chance in first half and commentators said it was criminal he couldn't hit target, which you won't if you lean back it's basic stuff .He is never going to be a Natural goalscorer IMO

He's making the same kind of basic errors that just about every other player in the team makes. It's the kind of errors you'd expect players to work on avoiding through proper training.

But as i've pointed out before, these players don't look as if they're being trained properly. They're making the kind of errors that you train week in and week out for to avoid.

Players show some natural talent in very minor glimpses, but none of them are showing anything that you'd expect them to pick up on the training field.

Wotherspiniesta
30-03-2014, 04:26 PM
You can see why his former manager tried to convert him to a midfielder. The guy couldn't finish his dinner.

Love his attitude, but he's not a goalscorer.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Garbage. God knows how he scored so many for Swindon last season?
You could put him in any team in the league and he wouldn't score. He's missed an absolute sitter today, it was laid on a plate and he couldn't finish it. He's clearly lacking confidence but unfortunately for him and us he's also lacking every attribute needed to be a professional footballer!

He scored goals for Swindon before he came here, because he was a better player before he came here. Players seen to get worse the longer that they stay here.

I know people will try to deny this. But there's a pattern to this that can't simply be ignored.

Ronniekirk
30-03-2014, 04:36 PM
He's making the same kind of basic errors that just about every other player in the team makes. It's the kind of errors you'd expect players to work on avoiding through proper training.

But as i've pointed out before, these players don't look as if they're being trained properly. They're making the kind of errors that you train week in and week out for to avoid.

Players show some natural talent in very minor glimpses, but none of them are showing anything that you'd expect them to pick up on the training field.

Who won the recent prizes were they not invitations to training sessions and we can get a first hand account of what is going on as agree it's hard to see any impact on the field .I accept confidence being low can affect some players and cause mistakes they might otherwise not make but how do you instill confidence in this lot and is T B going about it the right way.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Who won the recent prizes were they not invitations to training sessions and we can get a first hand account of what is going on as agree it's hard to see any impact on the field .I accept confidence being low can affect some players and cause mistakes they might otherwise not make but how do you instill confidence in this lot and is T B going about it the right way.

For me, instilling confidence is all part and partial of the managing and the coaching. They should be insuring that the players are both physically and mentally prepared for each and every game.

Pray4Marc
30-03-2014, 04:44 PM

People verbally abusing him pre match at St Johnstone and at most game
Isn't going to help his confidence. The chance he had In the 1st half wasn't a guilt edge chance and the only service he received today was hopeless long balls. Worked the channels and linked up play all day.

The barrage of guff on this thread is breathtaking

No thread for Stanton and his wasteful use of set pieces?.

HH81
30-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Good player.

lucky
30-03-2014, 04:46 PM
I never generally pick on any Hibs player but he was awful today and has been most of the season. He's just not good enough

Yuillsy
30-03-2014, 04:50 PM
He scored goals for Swindon before he came here, because he was a better player before he came here. Players seen to get worse the longer that they stay here.

I know people will try to deny this. But there's a pattern to this that can't simply be ignored.
Sticking the ball in the net is instinctive for decent strikers though, when he's faced with any chance at Hibs he can't finish it. I never seen him play at Swindon so can't comment on his play there but his goal scoring record seemed good. He's now played under 2 managers with us but doesn't seem any different.
If he's not being trained properly or used correctly that's a major issue but the fact is a goalscorer will find the net no matter what. Collins is not a goalscorer and with him in the team we will continue to struggle.

LaMotta
30-03-2014, 05:24 PM
He is totally out his depth in this league and that has been clear since the first derby of the season.

The barry lavety comparison is totally unfair on lavety. Lavety was capable of scoring some very good goals.

Collins is ***n dreadful...not just because he cant score but his hold up play is ganting. He surrenders possesion 60 percent of the time he gets the ball. He ran the ball out of play so many times today it was unreal.

Ronniekirk
30-03-2014, 05:28 PM
For me, instilling confidence is all part and partial of the managing and the coaching. They should be insuring that the players are both physically and mentally prepared for each and every game.

I agree so begs the question he isn't able to do this but clearly did with ICT so it must be players who aren't responding or don't have that Resiliance But iether way it's a concern

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 05:33 PM
He is totally out his depth in this league and that has been clear since the first derby of the season.

The barry lavety comparison is totally unfair on lavety. Lavety was capable of scoring some very good goals.

Collins is ***n dreadful...not just because he cant score but his hold up play is ganting. He surrenders possesion 60 percent of the time he gets the ball. He ran the ball out of play so many times today it was unreal.

Just not for Hibs :aok:

You'll see more technical ability from a toddler thrown a football for the first time down your local park - compared to James Collins, not Lavety :greengrin

LaMotta
30-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Just not for Hibs :aok:

You'll see more technical ability from a toddler thrown a football for the first time down your local park - compared to James Collins, not Lavety :greengrin

He scored a couple of crackers. Collins will never.

And agreed!

Aldo
30-03-2014, 05:44 PM
When Watmore cut that ball back I was praying it fell to Stanton but it didn't.

Basics put your laces through the ball, done lean BAC and leather it.

Nope row z.

Criminal

30-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Might not be the best but by no means the worst. What chance does he have when we just hoof the ball up the pitch? I think if we played proper football and gave him decent service he'd do a lot better.

Not sure why he was singles out by the OP. Could understand it if the post was about Maybury, Nelson or McGivern

Like I say, I haven't singled him out based on todays game, he most certainly was not the only dire player in green today. This is something I have been saying for months.

30-03-2014, 05:56 PM
When Watmore cut that ball back I was praying it fell to Stanton but it didn't.

Basics put your laces through the ball, done lean BAC and leather it.

Nope row z.

Criminal

That was an absolute shocker, laid on a plate for him.

leggeto
30-03-2014, 06:01 PM
He was poor today as he has been all season,think terry will ship him out for sure

30-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Good player.

based on what? I've certainly never seen anything impressive from him.

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2014, 06:06 PM
He was poor today as he has been all season,think terry will ship him out for sure

with a contract till 2016(thanks for that Mr Fenlon) i can't see him going anywhere soon

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-03-2014, 06:07 PM
He's got another 2 years left on his contract so wont be going anywhere soon!

Aldo
30-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Unless he's swapped with someone else who is still under contract.

DaveF
30-03-2014, 06:09 PM
James Collins is just terrible. A defenders dream to play against.

And to think we could have had Griffiths if we had the balls to fork out a bit of dough at the right time.

Hibstrooper
30-03-2014, 06:10 PM
That miss in the first half :grr::brickwall

Paisley Hibby
30-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Spot on mate. Once he's playing in a half decent Hibs team he'll come good and then the same guys moaning about him now will be wringing their hands at rumours of him moving to Celtic. It's the Hibs net way :greengrin

LaMotta
30-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Spot on mate. Once he's playing in a half decent Hibs team he'll come good and then the same guys moaning about him now will be wringing their hands at rumours of him moving to Celtic. It's the Hibs net way :greengrin

I give up I really do. People are still defending him. Unbelievable.

Paisley Hibby
30-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I give up I really do. People are still defending him. Unbelievable.

He's a young lad who never hides despite the fact he gets rank rotten service from his team mates. For that he deserves our support and I really believe that once playing in a decent Hibs side he will repay that support.

basehibby
30-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Is that really true??? He played regularly for Swindon and Shrewsbury (third tier English sides) before Hibs - what we aspire to is a step up for him.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 06:35 PM
He's a young lad who never hides despite the fact he gets rank rotten service from his team mates. For that he deserves our support and I really believe that once playing in a decent Hibs side he will repay that support.

Disagree.

Someone like Claros was poor in his 1st half season in a poor team but you could see he had a bit class.

Collins does nothing to suggest he will come good.

30-03-2014, 06:36 PM

I hope your right mate, I really do but I really just can't see any positives from him at all. He's a big lad but he doesn't even use that physicality to his advantage, he was bullied today.

leggeto
30-03-2014, 06:37 PM

does anyone else think we got the wrong James Collins,the bloke who plays for Wales maybe slipped the net

Paisley Hibby
30-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Disagree.

Someone like Claros was poor in his 1st half season in a poor team but you could see he had a bit class.

Opinions eh :greengrin I think an important reason why Claros improved was he started playing in a settled midfield with some half decent players around him. Once Collins gets a similar chance I think he'll score goals for us.

wookie70
30-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Disagree.

Totally agree with this. Collins just doesn't look like a player to me. I like him and his attitude is pretty good but good strikers have an awareness of space. Collins gets in the way more often that getting into good positions. They also have the ability to make the keeper work. His shooting is woeful, not just in pressure situations either - watch him warming up. If we can get him off the wage bill and swallow the loss of whatever the fee was I would jump at the chance.

Hibstrooper
30-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Still thinking about that miss when he couldn't even get it on target :wtf:

snooky
30-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Disagree.

A decent striker will make something out of nothing.
A poor striker will make nothing out of something.
Draw your own conclusions. :coffee:

Franck Stanton
30-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Correct. Why this thread ? There were a lot of useless [censored] [sounds like runts], out there but lets all jump on the bandwagon and blame James Collins shall we.

Paisley Hibby
30-03-2014, 06:59 PM
A decent striker will make something out of nothing.
A poor striker will make nothing out of something.
Draw your own conclusions. :coffee:

Very good :greengrin

I'm not saying Collins is a brilliant striker - if he was he wouldn't be at Hibs I'm just concerned that he is being made a scapegoat when the real problems today were with more experienced players who are not being lambasted on here.

Onion
30-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Still thinking about that miss when he couldn't even get it on target :wtf:

It wasn't just the fact that he missed it. There was not even an attempt to put it smartly past MacDonald, he just side-footed it straight over his head. It was like a centre back's attempt. The guy is a donkey and a really poor signing.

rcarter1
30-03-2014, 07:09 PM
But he can't seem to make the ball stick which is what he should be able to do as a striker, also he doesn't play on the shoulder of defenders and he certaintly doesn't run the channels. Also so one paced.

He is not a centre forward and to be fair I don't have an answer for it but like a lot of previous signings they have not been bought to be part of a master plan they were bought cause they had to, affordability and hoping they will fit into the system.

This. I was frustrated by Collins again today. Yet something tells me he could be effective in a different system. We haven't had a system thats worked for years, and hopefully TB and co can actually build something with a bit of cohesion and logic to it…

Bring on the summer, and if we get relegated, OMG what a season of woe that could be.

30-03-2014, 07:12 PM
It wasn't just the fact that he missed it. There was not even an attempt to put it smartly past MacDonald, he just side-footed it straight over his head. It was like a centre back's attempt. The guy is a donkey and a really poor signing.

:agree: to not even hit the target was absolutely criminal and he's supposed to be our main striker?!

R'Albin
30-03-2014, 07:15 PM
James Collins is just terrible. A defenders dream to play against.

And to think we could have had Griffiths if we had the balls to fork out a bit of dough at the right time.

:agree:

Petrie just needed to find a set of balls and take the risk. Also, looking at Fenlon here, if we were to have avoided signing a couple of CMs then we might have been able to sign Griffiths without having to massively stretch our budget.

leithsansiro
30-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Currently, the way we play, Collins is not going to score loads of goals. He's not a target man. He can't hold the ball up if there are no runners off him.Our centre backs launching the ball long EVERY time is completely wasting him. No joke, but Messi would struggle with the passes that our defence aimlessly punt forward.

DH1875
30-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I was feeling sorry for him as he's had no help or support but that miss was shocking and I fear he really isnt the answer. I know we didn't pay the reported £200k for him but we did pay a fee which is unbelievable when you consider last season he was available on a free and had a trial at aberdeen who obviously didn't pick him up.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2014, 09:13 PM
He reminds me very much of Barry Lavety - and Barry was an overated tub of football lard. Similar style, similar technique, similar running style, similar goals tally.......in fact, is it Barry wearing a James Collins fat suit ? :cb

James, yer utter lilian gish - go and just leave in summer - mind your agent will need more tricks up his sleeve than Dynamo :aok:

Lavety appeared 72 times for Hibs, starting in 43 of those and he scored 12 goals including a peach against Hearts

Collins has played 34 times for Hibs, starting in 27 of those and has scored 6 goals, including one against Hearts

Uncanny :greengrin

Cod Boy
30-03-2014, 09:36 PM
My hands are up and i had a gó at Eion Doyle last season i wish we had him now instead of that waste of space

silverhibee
30-03-2014, 09:39 PM

C'mon eh, Watmore laid it on a plate for Collins today and he managed to blow it sky high again.

Poor striker.

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 09:44 PM
C'mon eh, Watmore laid it on a plate for Collins today and he managed to blow it sky high again.

Poor striker.

First game at Tynecastle, gets into scoring position and slices it wide.

Second game at ER where he scored, misses a sitter to make it 3-1 at the end, and loses cheap possession which allowed them to go up the pitch and score if I recall right.

Today misses a sitter and does nothing to show he is a big game player.

No pace, no strength, no composure, no finishing = get rid please.

Amit
30-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Not good enough. Said on another thread there's only 4 players I'd keep, he's not one of them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Heffernan would have burried the chance Collins missed the day.

wynnie1875
30-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Pretty sure Heffernan played up top by himself in the 1-1 draw with Celtic earlier in the season, which was one of our best performances. So saying Collins is the only option to play up front by himself is nonsense.

30-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Heffernan would have burried the chance Collins missed the day.

EdinMike
30-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Remember when he said he'll do his best to make us forget about Sparky ?! :faf:

I've spent the whole season thinking "If only that was Griffith's..."

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2014, 10:54 PM
I keep hearing that there is a player in there somewhere, is it a snooker player?

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I keep hearing that there is a player in there somewhere, is it a snooker player?

:greengrin i liked that one mate - a laugh out loud momento - thanks blackpool :aok:

LaMotta
30-03-2014, 11:00 PM

I've seen him play snooker at the Ballroom in Morningside. He didnt pot a single ball in the 90 minutes i was there. He was just unlucky though, nobody was leaving him any easy pots.

Sammy7nil
30-03-2014, 11:04 PM
There is far more wrong with Hibs than just James Collins and to single out a player in this manner is not helpful in anyway.

MontrealHibs
31-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Come on, the boy is in woeful form. I backed him most of the season for his work rate but even I have given up as he seems to have forgotten how to find the back of the net since he came up here!

Weststandwanab
31-03-2014, 02:27 AM
I keep hearing that there is a player in there somewhere, is it a snooker player? He has the touch of an elephant so it is unlikely he would be a good snooker player.

SouthamptonHibs
31-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Disgrace of a player, honking!

we are hibs
31-03-2014, 08:16 AM
The guy is honking. Worse than nish ever was IMO.

WestEndHibee
31-03-2014, 08:36 AM
The guy is honking. Worse than nish ever was IMO.

Nish wasn't a bad player until the Hibs fans got hold of him but people seem to forget this. Why are we focussing on the fact that Collins missed his one good chance rather than the fact that against supposedly the worst team in the league we only created ONE good chance. Of course he wasn't going to score it, he'd been working his ass off trying to reach one of the 50 long balls we'd launched to him, he's got no confidence and he's 23 getting pelters from fans both home and away, not conducive for composure in that situation.

The fact is that he's scored 1 in 3 for his past two clubs and if we had a team built to provide for him then he'll do the same for us. Why do we insist on a witch hunt for a player who puts in far more effort and has far more potential than many others in the team?

LALthehibeeGAL
31-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Nish wasn't a bad player until the Hibs fans got hold of him but people seem to forget this. Why are we focussing on the fact that Collins missed his one good chance rather than the fact that against supposedly the worst team in the league we only created ONE good chance. Of course he wasn't going to score it, he'd been working his ass off trying to reach one of the 50 long balls we'd launched to him, he's got no confidence and he's 23 getting pelters from fans both home and away, not conducive for composure in that situation.

The fact is that he's scored 1 in 3 for his past two clubs and if we had a team built to provide for him then he'll do the same for us. Why do we insist on a witch hunt for a player who puts in far more effort and has far more potential than many others in the team?

:agree::top marks

soproni1
31-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Anyone playing as the 'lone striker' for hibs would have to be a pretty spectacular player (Griffiths) to make a difference with that team. Combined easily the worst back 4 (plus taiwo) to play for Hibs. Collins is a decent player but needs guys to play beside him so his work actually leads to something, so far we haven't provided anything of the sort

Unseen work
31-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I do feel for him. He is a young lad who has had a tought start to his hibs career. He works hard and is a big guy who IMO has pace and stregnth and dont see how people say he gets bullied.

He needs more support though and can see him being a lot better next season in a settled team.

Half the problem IMO is he doesn't have a partner to work with, and when he does it's a different one every week.

No confidence and no partnership or understanding is something every striker needs to be succesful

CraigHibee
31-03-2014, 09:14 AM
1 player doesnt make a team, the team need a boot up the arse for turning this bad!

GreenPJ
31-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Anyone playing as the 'lone striker' for hibs would have to be a pretty spectacular player (Griffiths) to make a difference with that team. Combined easily the worst back 4 (plus taiwo) to play for Hibs. Collins is a decent player but needs guys to play beside him so his work actually leads to something, so far we haven't provided anything of the sort

Change 3 of the back 5 and I think we would be a lot different. McGivern, Nelson and Williams (he is a good keeper but his distribution and time to distribution does not help us in trying to make the most of when we do have a one on one or better). McGivern and Nelson need no explanation, they can't keep a ball and play aimless passes all the time that just hand back possession to the opposition. As for tackling McGivern is up there with Zemmama for tackling ability.

Cameron1875
31-03-2014, 09:20 AM
I do feel for him. He is a young lad who has had a tought start to his hibs career. He works hard and is a big guy who IMO has pace and strength and dont see how people say he gets bullied.

He needs more support though and can see him being a lot better next season in a settled team.

Half the problem IMO is he doesn't have a partner to work with, and when he does it's a different one every week.

No confidence and no partnership or understanding is something every striker needs to be succesful

Sorry I have to disagree with that. IMO he's chronically slow and gets bullied by every centre half he comes up against.

His 'performance' against Raith was abysmal and his form seems to have carried on since. :(

bigwheel
31-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Change 3 of the back 5 and I think we would be a lot different. McGivern, Nelson and Williams (he is a good keeper but his distribution and time to distribution does not help us in trying to make the most of when we do have a one on one or better). McGivern and Nelson need no explanation, they can't keep a ball and play aimless passes all the time that just hand back possession to the opposition. As for tackling McGivern is up there with Zemmama for tackling ability.

in order of player priority, I would say Williams is the last we have to worry about changing for now...give me a good player with slow distribution any day , over the alternatives we have had in recent years

emerald green
31-03-2014, 09:31 AM
based on what? I've certainly never seen anything impressive from him.

Me neither NumberSeven. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2014, 09:40 AM
When we bring a new player in, we want to see someone who WILL make a difference to the team. I certainly dont want to see a player come in who just contributes hard work and graft, especially one who is a forward. Yes there is a place in every team for their players to have a few grafters, but they also have to be able to play a bit, even at SPFL level.

Collins is not alone, we have way too many players who just lack the basic quality of being able to beat a player and go past them with a little skill and a bit of pace.

We have slumped so low now, we are discussing just where a poor player like Collins can fit in and how. :rolleyes:

Captain Trips
31-03-2014, 09:46 AM
When we bring a new player in, we want to see someone who WILL make a difference to the team. I certainly dont want to see a player come in who just contributes hard work and graft, especially one who is a forward. Yes there is a place in every team for their players to have a few grafters, but they also have to be able to play a bit, even at SPFL level.

Collins is not alone, we have way too many players who just lack the basic quality of being able to beat a player and go past them with a little skill and a bit of pace.

We have slumped so low now, we are discussing just where a poor player like Collins can fit in and how. :rolleyes:

We have slumped that low that it makes Paul Tosh look useful at his time here.

Bobby's Cinema
31-03-2014, 09:57 AM

I keep hearing this and yet in the last 9 months I have seen nothing to support this. He is a hard worker, just nowhere near good enough.

I have never seen him bully a centre half the way they seem to bully him. Not once.

Weir7
31-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Spot on. There lyes the crux of our problems standards on the pitch and the standards fans now appear to accept.

Bronson
31-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I've been as patient with him as I can possibly be, but he must be one of the least talented footballers I've seen at hibs, really does offer us nothing.

Tyler Durden
31-03-2014, 10:18 AM
The guys hopeless, as someone else pointed out he must have ran the ball out of play half a dozen times yesterday.

All this rubbish about "he would look better if we gave him good service"........ Harris put in a fantastic ball yesterday and Collins was nowhere, caught on his heels. His movement is awful and he has missed countless sitters now, the guy is just not good enough.

His signing highlights the Petrie way, supposedly play hardball on Lyle Taylor, miss out and end up with your 4th or 5th choice in Collins. Thanks Rod.

BSEJVT
31-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Sorry to say it but I se nothing in Collins that gives me any hope there is a player in there.

He might be a very hard working guy, who is nice to old people, children and animals, but he is never in a million years a Hibs centre forward.

Everything you would want in a player such as pace, movement, positional awareness, playing with the head up, composure, an ability to link play he does not have.

As many have said, he is not the only problem, far from it, but when you have a defence that ships goals you wouldn't want to see a primary school team losing and a midfield that couldn't create a chance, you need an instinctive finisher, someone who will try anything, shoot from anywhere and always be on the last defender's back.

He has absolutely none of these things and plays most of the game facing his own team, just inside the opposition half.

We simply cant play him again this season, and whether its Heffernan, Cummings or whoever they will offer far more of a goal threat.

Hibiza
31-03-2014, 10:49 AM

well don't play with one up front then. couldn't score in one of our cities finest

TRC
31-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Hes this years claros and robertson.boy will come good imho. Whole team has been rubish this year. Seem to remember also that higdon was murder in his first few seasons in the spl then he got better and was even touted to sign for us. Give him next season. He is still young only 23 being asked to play a system that is alien to him.

easty
31-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Hes this years claros and robertson.boy will come good imho. Whole team has been rubish this year. Seem to remember also that higdon was murder in his first few seasons in the spl then he got better and was even touted to sign for us. Give him next season. He is still young only 23 being asked to play a system that is alien to him.

I agree with you.

Look how many goals John Sutton has scored for Motherwell this season. If you put him in our team this season though, he'd have scored hardly any, and we'd be calling him sh*t.

southsider
31-03-2014, 01:42 PM

No mate he is THE worst i have ever seen in a Hibs shirt. Maybury was done 2 years ago, Nelson is as slow as a week in jail and McGivern is a train crash. I would only keep Harris, Thompson and Stanton and empty the rest INCLUDING Butcher.

easty
31-03-2014, 01:44 PM
No mate he is THE worst i have ever seen in a Hibs shirt. Maybury was done 2 years ago, Nelson is as slow as a week in jail and McGivern is a train crash. I would only keep Harris, Thompson and Stanton and empty the rest INCLUDING Butcher.

You obviously haven't seen much of Hibs then, if he's the worst ever.

leggeto
31-03-2014, 01:45 PM

he'll need to stick him out on loan then

southsider
31-03-2014, 01:59 PM
You obviously haven't seen much of Hibs then, if he's the worst ever.
50 years and counting....worse than Aly Scott, Martin Henderson, Joe Ward....might be on par with the Tank but omg he is really bad. Could not trap a bag of sand, second touch is a parachute jump and has an eye for goal like Admiral Nelson.

eggbamyasi
31-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Could it be at all possible with right players around him a balanced team with a solid game plan , players playing in there favoured positions . The right attitude the will to win . That next season he could have a good season . I defo think so . Imo people saying hes the worst ever in a hibs strip is nonsense . Seen many many worse . Also this missing out on rooney thing is doing my head in ! Do people honestly beleive that if we had signed rooney he would have single handedly saved our season and banged in loads of goals with the squad of players we have playing around him . I dont think any striker we could realistically afford or at spl level have an amazing season with the disjointed low morale and totally unbalanced squad we have this season . And before anyone says griffiths , theres a reason hes not at us anymore and on big wages and in scotland team . Hes good enough to be above our realistic level . Eg . Fletcher , brown , etc etc . I dont think singling collins out is fair . For me he is putting 100% in most games and as I said with 7/8other players not doing the same any striker would struggle and also in their first season too . But each to there own . Just my personal opinion .
Ggtth

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Franck Stanton
31-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Really? & just who would you replace him with then ?

Up The Bracket
31-03-2014, 02:56 PM
He's not an amazing player, no, but he gets into positions to score, more than you can say for the anonymous Danny Handling who apart from one goal in the cup, has contributed absolutely nothing to the club in a good 30 appearances, yet somehow seems exempt from criticism as he is only 20. James Collins is 23.

I'm not claiming Collins is good by any means, he's an average player and his 6 goals this season show that, 6 more goals than Danny Handling in the SPL though.

Could argue and slate individuals all you want, but James Collins isn't why we lost yesterday, nor is Danny Handling, the whole club isn't good enough, individual threads slating single players after that are pointless, especially when Collins wasn't our worst yesterday.

Weststandwanab
31-03-2014, 02:59 PM
He's not an amazing player, no, but he gets into positions to score, more than you can say for the anonymous Danny Handling who apart from one goal in the cup, has contributed absolutely nothing to the club in a good 30 appearances, yet somehow seems exempt from criticism as he is only 20. James Collins is 23.

I'm not claiming Collins is good by any means, he's an average player and his 6 goals this season show that, 6 more goals than Danny Handling in the SPL though. I would play Cummings ahead of Handling.

In fact I would have played him yesterday.

leggeto
31-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Could it be at all possible with right players around him a balanced team with a solid game plan , players playing in there favoured positions . The right attitude the will to win . That next season he could have a good season . I defo think so . Imo people saying hes the worst ever in a hibs strip is nonsense . Seen many many worse . Also this missing out on rooney thing is doing my head in ! Do people honestly beleive that if we had signed rooney he would have single handedly saved our season and banged in loads of goals with the squad of players we have playing around him . I dont think any striker we could realistically afford or at spl level have an amazing season with the disjointed low morale and totally unbalanced squad we have this season . And before anyone says griffiths , theres a reason hes not at us anymore and on big wages and in scotland team . Hes good enough to be above our realistic level . Eg . Fletcher , brown , etc etc . I dont think singling collins out is fair . For me he is putting 100% in most games and as I said with 7/8other players not doing the same any striker would struggle and also in their first season too . But each to there own . Just my personal opinion .
Ggtth

he does give 100% for effort but lacks ability,he got bullied by a young hearts defence,his first touch is like a volley clearance,can't hold up the ball,and can't win headers,good work rate is all he has in his locker

Up The Bracket
31-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I would play Cummings ahead of Handling.

In fact I would have played him yesterday.

Heffernan and Collins up front would surely be common sense, think they've played together something like 6 times and scored 4 goals between them in those games, not an amazing ratio, but better in comparison to different combinations up front.

For the record I'd have Cummings over Handling though, yes, U20 record speaks for itself and you've got to think a goal would bring confidence.

Onion
31-03-2014, 03:12 PM

I'm not claiming Collins is good by any means, he's an average player and his 6 goals this season show that, 6 more goals than Danny Handling in the SPL though.

Could argue and slate individuals all you want, but James Collins isn't why we lost yesterday, nor is Danny Handling, the whole club isn't good enough, individual threads slating single players after that are pointless, especially when Collins wasn't our worst yesterday.

Agree with that, but Collins is the perfect scapegoat. He was specifically brought in to replace our best goalscorer last summer; a player who breathes Hibs, wanted to stay at the club and who scored 30 brilliant goals in one season with no more support than Collins has been getting. In the big games, Griffiths delivered. When we were up against it, Griffith delivered.

No one was expecting someone of Griffiths calibre, but 6 goals is a pathetic return for any striker in any league.

Greencore
31-03-2014, 03:13 PM
No confidence, doesn't really have that something special IMO.

Up The Bracket
31-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Agree with that, but Collins is the perfect scapegoat. He was specifically brought in to replace our best goalscorer last summer; a player who breathes Hibs, wanted to stay at the club and who scored 30 brilliant goals in one season with no more support than Collins has been getting. In the big games, Griffiths delivered. When we were up against it, Griffith delivered.

No one was expecting someone of Griffiths calibre, but 6 goals is a pathetic return for any striker in any league.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't ever remember anything from the club saying he was a direct replacement for Griffiths, regardless of whether Griffiths wanted to sign, we weren't getting him back, we didn't have the money, I highly doubt we spent anywhere near £200k on Collins, and I've been told so by friends that I'd trust.

He is our top scoring striker, the abuse of Collins, IMO, is a bandwagon people are jumping on and many of our fans are using him as a blatant scapegoat. As you say, 6 goals in one season (or the majority of a season), isn't a good record by any means, but out of our strikers he has scored the most, why are our other strikers exempt from criticism as that's the case?

The_Horde
31-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Collins would turn out to be a decent striker for hibs if we actually got him playing to his strengths.

He's coming deep and trying to create stuff for us when he should just be hanging around up front. Think his work rate works against him at times.

If we had a confident, fast passing team who create plenty of chances Collins would score a good amount.

We are a shambles of a team who make decent players look terrible.

KeithTheHibby
31-03-2014, 03:25 PM
The lad scored goals last season so there is something there.

Next season with someone up top with him and better service should hopefully result in a decent return of goals.

S4uzee
31-03-2014, 03:26 PM
;3950985']Collins would turn out to be a decent striker for hibs if we actually got him playing to his strengths.

He's coming deep and trying to create stuff for us when he should just be hanging around up front. Think his work rate works against him at times.

If we had a confident, fast passing team who create plenty of chances Collins would score a good amount.

We are a shambles of a team who make decent players look terrible.
Tired of hearing this, he got a simple chance yesterday and had time to take a touch but the finish was woeful

eggbamyasi
31-03-2014, 03:27 PM
he does give 100% for effort but lacks ability,he got bullied by a young hearts defence,his first touch is like a volley clearance,can't hold up the ball,and can't win headers,good work rate is all he has in his locker

Fair enough . I just dont think he was worst player on pitch not by a long shot . Also hes only 22 and I think he should be given next season with better players / team / morale to see how he does . Then pap him if he has a **** season . Also imo he shouldnt be a lone striker . Needs to be played in a duo . And not heff . Think with another energetic young striker along side him fletcheresque would see better from him . Imo he should be given a second season to prove him self . Players like mcgivern and nelson dont get it quite as tight as him ( they do get a slagging ) and there both truly division 1 at best really really terrible . meh not saying hes amazing hes had poor season , but just through history especially strikers they mostly have a dodgey first season in a new country / league and in second season you can really see if there **** or not .

The_Horde
31-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Tired of hearing this, he got a simple chance yesterday and had time to take a touch but the finish was woeful

Player low on confidence misses decent chance. Shock.

James Collins is a far better striker than Colin Nish and he's in the top 10 SPL scorers.

We don't create chances at hibs. We just don't. The last game I remember us creating any decent chances and having a side on the back foot for a sustained period of time Collins scored 2.

The_Horde
31-03-2014, 03:31 PM
An example of what I'm saying. John Sutton - hearts vs John Sutton - Motherwell

Onion
31-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't ever remember anything from the club saying he was a direct replacement for Griffiths, regardless of whether Griffiths wanted to sign, we weren't getting him back, we didn't have the money, I highly doubt we spent anywhere near £200k on Collins, and I've been told so by friends that I'd trust.

He is our top scoring striker, the abuse of Collins, IMO, is a bandwagon people are jumping on and many of our fans are using him as a blatant scapegoat. As you say, 6 goals in one season (or the majority of a season), isn't a good record by any means, but out of our strikers he has scored the most, why are our other strikers exempt from criticism as that's the case?

So if Hibs don't come out and specifically state that our next goalkeeper is a replacement for Williams, then we shouldn't assume he's a goalkeeper :hmmm:

The stark comparison with Griffiths has not helped Collins. By contrast, Collins looks like a complete donkey in everything he does.

EH54
31-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't think he is good enough after seeing him this season we aren't a team who are going to create chance after chance so when they come along you have to take them at least hit the target and make the keeper work! Collins for me has missed to many chances this season and big ones as'well anyone can run about a pitch for 90mins but we need someone with a little bit quality Collins for me doesn't have that. He is nowhere near the worst though there is a lot more players i would be looking to chuck before i even got to Collins.

rcarter1
31-03-2014, 04:04 PM
;3950999']An example of what I'm saying. John Sutton - hearts vs John Sutton - Motherwell

This is a good point. Perhaps Hibs and Collins don't work, in fact theres no perhaps about it. For what it is worth most decent SPL teams have a bit of pace somewhere up front. Collins as a lone front man without really good support from midfield (which is Hibs at the moment) is a disaster and has been all season. With the right support I still think his confidence could grow and we might see another side to him. As he is on a contract it is worth seeing how things shape up end of season. Ive had the impression from the cringeworthy Hibs interactive interviews that squad harmony has been shaky all season. If there are enough changes this summer we might see a new side to many of our current 'duds'.

Lets get out of the playoff situation and welcome a summer of change!!!

leggeto
31-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Fair enough . I just dont think he was worst player on pitch not by a long shot . Also hes only 22 and I think he should be given next season with better players / team / morale to see how he does . Then pap him if he has a **** season . Also imo he shouldnt be a lone striker . Needs to be played in a duo . And not heff . Think with another energetic young striker along side him fletcheresque would see better from him . Imo he should be given a second season to prove him self . Players like mcgivern and nelson dont get it quite as tight as him ( they do get a slagging ) and there both truly division 1 at best really really terrible . meh not saying hes amazing hes had poor season , but just through history especially strikers they mostly have a dodgey first season in a new country / league and in second season you can really see if there **** or not .

he probably will get another season as he's on 3year contract and I hope he proves me wrong,im starting to think out wide maybe more suited to him,he seems to lose a lot of individual battles and his work rate could be better used,as for that chance he must hit the target at least,nelson on the other hand,im sure the ref had to pump the ball up at half time due to his persistent hoofing,I think mcgivern and maybury were worse yesterday

Up The Bracket
31-03-2014, 04:18 PM
So if Hibs don't come out and specifically state that our next goalkeeper is a replacement for Williams, then we shouldn't assume he's a goalkeeper :hmmm:

The stark comparison with Griffiths has not helped Collins. By contrast, Collins looks like a complete donkey in everything he does.

Yes, but possibly Heffernan (or even, dare I say it, Vine) was his replacement, and he has scored less than Collins, don't see him getting hounded with abuse, and I for one quite like Heffernan, I just find the Collins abuse an absolute joke, you cannot compare a replacement goalkeeper with a striker either.

eggbamyasi
31-03-2014, 04:18 PM
he probably will get another season as he's on 3year contract and I hope he proves me wrong,im starting to think out wide maybe more suited to him,he seems to lose a lot of individual battles and his work rate could be better used,as for that chance he must hit the target at least,nelson on the other hand,im sure the ref had to pump the ball up at half time due to his persistent hoofing,I think mcgivern and maybury were worse yesterday

Agree :-) and like the nelson comment haha . See where collins is at next season with a better squad and higher morale and a team focused on TB and MM philosophies . If hes **** then get rid :-) and I agree that mcgivern and maybury were worst . Mcgiverns distribution is just so so so so so so so so so so so bad .

Paisley Hibby
31-03-2014, 04:32 PM
:top marks
Ggtth

Spot on :top marks

Centre Hawf
31-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Really? & just who would you replace him with then ?

I don't like this argument when someone wants rid of a manager. I want rid of about 10 players from this squad and no ones asking me to identify 10 players to replace them. This job of finding a new manager is down to Petrie and if he unable to do that then he should leave himself... or do you want us to tell you who we'd replace Petrie with as well?

Franck Stanton
31-03-2014, 05:31 PM
I don't like this argument when someone wants rid of a manager. I want rid of about 10 players from this squad and no ones asking me to identify 10 players to replace them. This job of finding a new manager is down to Petrie and if he unable to do that then he should leave himself... or do you want us to tell you who we'd replace Petrie with as well?

You can dislike the argument all you want, that is after all, your right and opinion. However, the post made was in reply to someone stating Butcher should go and , which, in my opinion, is totally ludicrous. He is, after all working with one of/if not the worst squad of players we have ever had, [yes big statement and is open to debate], but to want the manager binned is just a knee-jerk reaction. Asking who the poster wanted to replace Butcher is not the sum-total of my argument/defence of him . Like yourself, there are a lot of players/imposters would bin, - quicker to name the ones I would keep --Forster, Stanton, Harris, Stevenson, Thomson and Robertson. Replace the rest, but again that is just my opinion.

Centre Hawf
31-03-2014, 05:37 PM
You can dislike the argument all you want, that is after all, your right and opinion. However, the post made was in reply to someone stating Butcher should go and , which, in my opinion, is totally ludicrous. He is, after all working with one of/if not the worst squad of players we have ever had, [yes big statement and is open to debate], but to want the manager binned is just a knee-jerk reaction. Asking who the poster wanted to replace Butcher is not the sum-total of my argument/defence of him . Like yourself, there are a lot of players/imposters would bin, - quicker to name the ones I would keep --Forster, Stanton, Harris, Stevenson, Thomson and Robertson. Replace the rest, but again that is just my opinion.

I think it's way to early to get rid of Butcher but I'm starting to question him an awful. My point I was making was more that just because someone can't name a manager to replace them of the top of their head doesn't mean we should keep him longer than necessary.

Agree with the list of players to keep add in Murdoch and Hanlon.

Franck Stanton
31-03-2014, 05:56 PM
I think it's way to early to get rid of Butcher but I'm starting to question him an awful. My point I was making was more that just because someone can't name a manager to replace them of the top of their head doesn't mean we should keep him longer than necessary.

Agree with the list of players to keep add in Murdoch and Hanlon.

CH - Get your point mate, really do, but just don't get the need for the poster to be calling for Butchers head at this stage. Butcher may/may not be the man to get us back to the top 3/4 teams in Scotland but, he sure does need more than half[ish] a season to do so, Christ, he hasn't even signed a player as yet. On the player list, have to disagree about Hanlon, feel he has been given his chance and time and again has been found wanting. IMO he just isn't good enough. Mute point perhaps, but just my opinion.

eastterrace
31-03-2014, 09:20 PM
collins is pish , one he hit against the post v motherwell and he tried to hit the rebound in , powder puff effort, hearts new year derby 6 yards out and he hits it wide, aberdeen langfield kicks ball straight to him and falls on his erky he has open goal and slots it wide , yesterday watmore sets him up and balloons it over the bar, the guy is just mince so we have given him a chance so lets bin him.

leggeto
31-03-2014, 09:24 PM
collins is pish , one he hit against the post v motherwell and he tried to hit the rebound in , powder puff effort, hearts new year derby 6 yards out and he hits it wide, aberdeen langfield kicks ball straight to him and falls on his erky he has open goal and slots it wide , yesterday watmore sets him up and balloons it over the bar, the guy is just mince so we have given him a chance so lets bin him.

can't get rid of him unless we sell him on but what's the chances of that happening with his form,only other option is to send him out on loan,a bit like what we done with de graff

eastterrace
31-03-2014, 09:30 PM
can't get rid of him unless we sell him on but what's the chances of that happening with his form,only other option is to send him out on loan,a bit like what we done with de graff

i just had to get that off my chest as i have just watched that miss again and im getting mad looking at it. the guys a donkey and i dont care if he is young he aint a goalscorer thats for sure.

Boyle89
31-03-2014, 09:34 PM
It's the 'wait till he gets service' stuff I don't get. When he does get clear cut chances he misses them. That's two clear cut chances he's had against hearts and he's missed them both. His goal he scored was 1000 times harder than those other two chances. He's just not good enough IMO. Maybe if we had persisted with him and heff they could've formed a partnership but on his own he just isn't going to do the business regularly enough.

NOLA
31-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Swindon getting us back big style for alan o'brien :agree:

31-03-2014, 09:51 PM
It's the 'wait till he gets service' stuff I don't get. When he does get clear cut chances he misses them. That's two clear cut chances he's had against hearts and he's missed them both. His goal he scored was 1000 times harder than those other two chances. He's just not good enough IMO. Maybe if we had persisted with him and heff they could've formed a partnership but on his own he just isn't going to do the business regularly enough.

:agree: should have hammered home that golden chance he had at new year to make it 3-1

wookie70
31-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I keep hearing judge him when he is in a decent side. He may well start scoring if Hibs start playing well and creating loads of chances but then most strikers score when they get loads of chances. I am judging him on when he gets a decent chance to contribute. When he gets a goal scoring opportunity or when he is involved in play through a reasonable pass to him. I think you can also judge a player by the runs they make and the space they can find. I am struggling to see many positives when he has the ball, a chance or when he moves off the ball.

I have seen him make more lung busting runs from the edge of the opposition's box to the half way line than the other way round. It may well be confidence but I think we have been sold a pup. I for one think there must be lots of free transfers out there that are at least as good.

Mikeystewart
01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Might get shot down for this but i firmly believe that a James Collins with decent support from the wings would easily be a 10-15 goal a season striker in this league.

The guy has to come back to the half way line to have a chance of getting the ball, when he does win it up front he has little or no support and the amount of running he has to do combined with low confidence explains the complete lack of composure in front of goal. The guy has scored goals at a similar level down south and hasn't replicated that here.

2 Wingers who attack full back and get crosses in + a decent Center midfielder to get the ball from defense to the wings without hoofing it would see a massive turn around in fortune for Collins IMO.

IFONLY
01-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Might get shot down for this but i firmly believe that a James Collins with decent support from the wings would easily be a 10-15 goal a season striker in this league.

The guy has to come back to the half way line to have a chance of getting the ball, when he does win it up front he has little or no support and the amount of running he has to do combined with low confidence explains the complete lack of composure in front of goal. The guy has scored goals at a similar level down south and hasn't replicated that here.

2 Wingers who attack full back and get crosses in + a decent Center midfielder to get the ball from defense to the wings without hoofing it would see a massive turn around in fortune for Collins IMO.

No you wont get shot down.....just sectioned

IFONLY
01-04-2014, 12:39 PM
;3950997']Player low on confidence misses decent chance. Shock.

James Collins is a far better striker than Colin Nish and he's in the top 10 SPL scorers.

We don't create chances at hibs. We just don't. The last game I remember us creating any decent chances and having a side on the back foot for a sustained period of time Collins scored 2.

How do you come to that conclusion????

The_Horde
01-04-2014, 12:56 PM
How do you come to that conclusion????

You serious? Collins can actually control a football.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Agreed.

The Sea-gull
01-04-2014, 01:08 PM

This may well be correct but a 10 - 15 goal a season striker is not good enough for me. If you want to do well in the league you need a striker who will hit 17-19 league goals minimum. A 10 - 15 goal striker is fine but only if you have someone else bagging close to 20.

collins may get 10 goals this season. He is on 6 and could get 4 goals in the last 7 games though his stats suggest he'll only get one more. Even if he got 10, that is not good enough for a striker who has played that many games and it would take him scoring 7 or 8 goals in the remaining games for me to consider his first season as being even close to an individual success. Just can't see that happening.

Diclonius
01-04-2014, 01:25 PM
;3952279']You serious? Collins can actually control a football.

Poor April Fool's joke mate.

jacomo
01-04-2014, 03:02 PM

I've got no idea whether Collins is good enough or not. My gut reaction says he'll come good, cos he's young, he's scored goals at a decent level down South and he works hard. Yes he misses chances but he gets so few during a typical 90 minutes that I feel its a bit harsh to judge him on them.

Has he got a striker's instinct though? Why is he foraging about near the halfway line? He should be obsessed with getting the ball and getting sight of the opposition goal... And make sure his team mates know what he wants.

Danderhall Hibs
01-04-2014, 03:06 PM

I think he's the 10 goal a season guy in a 25-30 goal partnership.

Mikeystewart
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
I've got no idea whether Collins is good enough or not. My gut reaction says he'll come good, cos he's young, he's scored goals at a decent level down South and he works hard. Yes he misses chances but he gets so few during a typical 90 minutes that I feel its a bit harsh to judge him on them.

Has he got a striker's instinct though? Why is he foraging about near the halfway line? He should be obsessed with getting the ball and getting sight of the opposition goal... And make sure his team mates know what he wants.

I agree he should be focusing on scoring goals, but i think that his hard working attitude is what forces him to try and get more involved in the build up play and coming deeper due to the lack off service he gets, this can be seen when Hefernan plays, he doesn't put in the same shift as JC and because he doesn't come back to get the ball he disappears for large chunks of the game. its a viscous cycle that will continue unless we get a decent forward thinking center mid a wingers with pace.

edit: Our defensive record is better than Motherwell's, its our complete lack of attacking threat that is keeping us out of the top 6 more than our defensive frailties.

Dinkydoo
01-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Collins said upon arrival "I'm not a target man" and I'm certain he suggested that he didn't like playing the lone striker role in one of his early interviews. Week after week the service he receives is a big punt up the park - frequently, not within 10 yards of where he is standing. I'm under no illusions that he's going to be the next Griffiths or Riordan but for ****s sake, lets play the ball into his feet for once and see how he does. One attempted lay off in how many games (?) is shocking and unless you're really above this league talent-wise (like Leigh) you're going to struggle to do it all yourself.

I don't doubt we can get better in the summer, but at least Collins keeps trying even with all the **** around him.

Mikeystewart
01-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Collins said upon arrival "I'm not a target man" and I'm certain he suggested that he didn't like playing the lone striker role in one of his early interviews. Week after week the service he receives is a big punt up the park - frequently, not within 10 yards of where he is standing. I'm under no illusions that he's going to be the next Griffiths or Riordan but for ****s sake, lets play the ball into his feet for once and see how he does. One attempted lay off in how many games (?) is shocking and unless you're really above this league talent-wise (like Leigh) you're going to struggle to do it all yourself.

I don't doubt we can get better in the summer, but at least Collins keeps trying even with all the **** around him.

This.

LaMotta
01-04-2014, 10:07 PM

This.

He got the ball into feet numerous times on Sunday, and I watched closely with growing frustation as he mainly surrendered posession by turning into a Hearts Player or simply ran the ball out of play. The one time in the whole game he did well with the ball into feet was when he played it out wide to Watmore who then set him up for his shambolic miss. He really is a poor player, we all wanted him to do well but he has shown nothing from day one.

I think people are sticking up for him and making up excuses for him because of the promise he came with. It was the same with O'Brien, and also De Graaf - we had posters on here making up all sorts of excuses and ifs and buts - O'Brien's crosses to no-one werent his fault, there should have been a striker there.... or De Graaf is playing passes to no-one cos his teammates aren't on the same special wavelength as him :rolleyes:

It was all really wishful thinking that these duds were going to come good. Its exactly the same with Collins, the fact he hasn't shown any quality is surely not the fault of everyone around him?

Stanton doesnt have much quality around him, but we can all see that he has a bit of ability, and is capable of creating and scoring goals. If Collins had ANY quality we would have seen it by now, and ive been praying for him to prove me wrong and show something since the first derby of the season, when he was woeful and looked out his depth against that young Hearts Team - but its just not happened.

Ronniekirk
01-04-2014, 10:11 PM
He got the ball into feet numerous times on Sunday, and I watched closely with growing frustation as he mainly surrendered posession by turning into a Hearts Player or simply ran the ball out of play. The one time in the whole game he did well with the ball into feet was when he played it out wide to Watmore who then set him up for his shambolic miss. He really is a poor player, we all wanted him to do well but he has shown nothing from day one.

I think people are sticking up for him and making up excuses for him because of the promise he came with. It was the same with O'Brien, and also De Graaf - we had posters on here making up all sorts of excuses and ifs and buts - O'Brien's crosses to no-one werent his fault, there should have been a striker there.... or De Graaf is playing passes to no-one cos his teammates aren't on the same special wavelength as him :rolleyes:

It was all really wishful thinking that these duds were going to come good. Its exactly the same with Collins, the fact he hasn't shown any quality is surely not the fault of everyone around him?

Stanton doesnt have much quality around him, but we can all see that he has a bit of ability, and is capable of creating and scoring goals. If Collins had ANY quality we would have seen it by now, and ive been praying for him to prove me wrong and show something since the first derby of the season, when he was woeful and looked out his depth against that young Hearts Team - but its just not happened.
Work rate apart the only thing he has done well with is getting on the end of crosses into box and directing headers on target .Think he has probably had more headers on target than shots .

Bayern Bru
01-04-2014, 10:31 PM
The best strikers in the world have all missed sitters.

Collins is clearly massively low on confidence. Any fool can see that.

It was hugely frustrating when he missed that chance, but people can't seriously say that Heffernan, or Stanton would have scored it for sure. Heff missed a similarly golden chance against Hearts back in January. Stanton's free kicks on Sunday were laughable. Handling isn't a goal threat. Cummings isn't ready yet. Haynes flatters to deceive.

The problem here is not James Collins; the problem here is the players at Hibernian and the system that they are being played in.

And I think that'll be addressed in the summer.

For all we know, Butcher has identified three or four players who could turn Collins into a 15-20 goals-a-season striker. And I'm prepared to sit tight and judge Terry only after he's been allowed to work his magic in the transfer market and ship out the deadwood and do what Fenlon couldn't - improve the team and improve the squad.

LaMotta
01-04-2014, 10:46 PM
The best strikers in the world have all missed sitters.

Collins is clearly massively low on confidence. Any fool can see that.

It was hugely frustrating when he missed that chance, but people can't seriously say that Heffernan, or Stanton would have scored it for sure. Heff missed a similarly golden chance against Hearts back in January. Stanton's free kicks on Sunday were laughable. Handling isn't a goal threat. Cummings isn't ready yet. Haynes flatters to deceive.

The problem here is not James Collins; the problem here is the players at Hibernian and the system that they are being played in.

And I think that'll be addressed in the summer.

For all we know, Butcher has identified three or four players who could turn Collins into a 15-20 goals-a-season striker. And I'm prepared to sit tight and judge Terry only after he's been allowed to work his magic in the transfer market and ship out the deadwood and do what Fenlon couldn't - improve the team and improve the squad.

More excuses ifs and buts and maybes........at what point does an eight month period of a lack of confidence actually get realised for a lack of ability?

The_Horde
02-04-2014, 12:50 AM
The guy has ability. If you can't see that you've got issues. His problem, much like heffernans, is that he doesn't create chances for himself and the teams final ball has been dire all season.

FitbaFolkKen
02-04-2014, 01:38 AM
;3953130']The guy has ability. If you can't see that you've got issues. His problem, much like heffernans, is that he doesn't create chances for himself and the teams final ball has been dire all season.

I agree with this, doesn't hide and with a bit of confidence will score goals. Still a young guy who works his arse off for us, he deserves to stay with us and prove himself. He's being asked to fill a role that he doesn't like but he hasn't let it affect his workrate and commitment as he never stops.

There are other players far more worthy of a hard time than Collins.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2014, 07:26 AM
;3953130']The guy has ability. If you can't see that you've got issues. His problem, much like heffernans, is that he doesn't create chances for himself and the teams final ball has been dire all season.

I must have issues then? He's a grafter i will give you that, but he's slow, has a pretty poor first touch and is technically poor on the ball. Perhaps he could be a 10 goal a season striker in a good season, but in my opinion he's never going to be a striker we can rely on to get enough goals that put us in a position to challenge at the right end of the league.

I'm not going to say he was a replacement for Griffiths, he was a one off. I would say he came in and took Doyles place though, and for the outlay and wages we have spent on Collins, im pretty sure we could have kept Doyle for much less and done no worse this season.

Its just another case of replacing a poor player with another poor player, but paying over the odds to do so. :rolleyes:

Moon unit
02-04-2014, 08:03 AM
I agree he should be focusing on scoring goals, but i think that his hard working attitude is what forces him to try and get more involved in the build up play and coming deeper due to the lack off service he gets, this can be seen when Hefernan plays, he doesn't put in the same shift as JC and because he doesn't come back to get the ball he disappears for large chunks of the game. its a viscous cycle that will continue unless we get a decent forward thinking center mid a wingers with pace.

edit: Our defensive record is better than Motherwell's, its our complete lack of attacking threat that is keeping us out of the top 6 more than our defensive frailties.
Sadly he's had all season to concentrate on scoring goals..just can't do it!...

eggbamyasi
03-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Agree .

HappyAsHellas
03-04-2014, 09:36 AM
His work rate is good, but never where it matters. I think it was Stevenson put a brilliant low ball right through the yams defence and our strikers watched from outside the box. Why he's not breaking his neck to get in there when someone hits the bye line is baffling to me. That's his job isn't it?

hibeemikey21
07-04-2014, 08:05 PM
What a thankless task this guy has.

Fully expect a standard "Collins gtf" thread as per, but he really does a better job than he is given credit for in what must be one of the most isolated centre forward roles in world football.

With a better team (and more support, let alone service) I'm sure he'll do just fine for us

ArmadaleHibs
07-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Not the best finisher. Not the best passer. Not the best holding up the ball.

If even half the team put in the shift this lad gives us then we wouldn't be half as bad as we are.

I feel sorry for him, I really do.

WestEndHibee
07-04-2014, 08:11 PM
What a thankless task this guy has.

Fully expect a standard "Collins gtf" thread as per, but he really does a better job than he is given credit for in what must be one of the most isolated centre forward roles in world football.

With a better team (and more support, let alone service) I'm sure he'll do just fine for us

Well said :agree:. He's crying out for someone to play off of him. His hold up play is getting better and work rate is amazing, the problem is that with him on his own and with his back to goal there's no-one near for him to play it to.

maximushibee
07-04-2014, 08:13 PM
What can the man do? He get terrible long punts up him, doesnt really get a chance to finish because there is no decent balls into the box for him to feed on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaMotta
07-04-2014, 08:22 PM
He cant even dive properly.

Two Halves
07-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Mcallister said it in the first half that he is coming back to link up the play and is then expected to be up front for the attack when it gets booted forward. He can't do both himself. The lack of support is so obvious.

WestEndHibee
07-04-2014, 08:27 PM
He cant even dive properly.

The annoying thing is that he shouldn't have had to! He gets booted in the calf right in front of the ref.

ArmadaleHibs
07-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Mcallister said it in the first half that he is coming back to link up the play and is then expected to be up front for the attack when it gets booted forward. He can't do both himself. The lack of support is so obvious.

This 100%

hibeemikey21
07-04-2014, 08:29 PM
The annoying thing is that he shouldn't have had to! He gets booted in the calf right in front of the ref.

He's had a number of stonewallers turned down this year iirc

yekimevol
07-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Felt sorry for the guy most of the season, he's got hellish service most of the season. Long balls pumped up it him that's it, with no-one around him.

FitbaFolkKen
07-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Decent young player needs some help up top and around.

Leitherhibs
07-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Would do well if he had some service. We have no creativity.

IberianHibernian
07-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Thought he put in a good shift tonight. We`re not getting the most out of him. Doubt he`ll ever be a 25 goals a season striker even at our level but he could be a 20 goals a season one who makes another 15 with decent tactics.

GreenLake
07-04-2014, 08:43 PM
He gave a lot of effort tonight.

Baader
07-04-2014, 08:45 PM
One up front at home. :brickwall

We do not have the midfield of Chelsea...

Gmack7
07-04-2014, 08:45 PM
We are making him look tom kite when he's prob a decent player
His only option is to try and hold up evey ball as he knows theres no point flicking it on because he's the only one up there to chase it
Fu££ing shambles

Nando™
07-04-2014, 08:48 PM
James Collins has a John Rankin situation written all over him.

The guy tries his heart out every second of every game and would thrive greatly with proper service.

I genuinely respect the guy far more than the whole squad bar Stevenson.

truehibernian
07-04-2014, 08:49 PM
We paid for him - I repeat, we paid for him. More suited to a fast food restaurant with Cairney running the drive thru.

WestEndHibee
07-04-2014, 08:51 PM
James Collins has a John Rankin situation written all over him.

The guy tries his heart out every second of every game and would thrive greatly with proper service.

I genuinely respect the guy far more than the whole squad bar Stevenson.

Mon Dieu4
07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
We paid for him - I repeat, we paid for him. More suited to a fast food restaurant with Cairney running the drive thru.

Absolute pish!! he may not be the best in the world and has missed some decent chances, he's probably shattered by the time he gets the ball after chasing down five players on his own with no help, he is far from being our worst player

hibee_girl
07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
One guy shouted to Collins to pass it 'forward' in the 2nd half, only problem with that is that there was no one in front of him to pass to!

He worked so hard tonight and did well but he had NO support, he cannot do it all himself.

Swedish hibee
07-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm not a fan. but come on the boy ran tonight.

Allan45
07-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Collins is one of a few I would have in this shambolic team next season...

Alex Trager
I'm not a big fan of his but the lack of support is glaring. That Aberdeen team were putting ball after ball on a plate for their forwards and we just get it and lump it.

Even when the ball goes through the midfield there is nothing looking to support them. It's dire it really is.

Lee
He done very little wrong tonight. Lack of service - again - was the problem. Someone already said it, the lone striker in a hibs 4-5-1 really is the most isolated role in football!

Our high and aimless punts are pointless, what's the point in having 5 in midfield if we bypass them or can't string more than 2 passes together without losing the ball??

danhibees1875
07-04-2014, 09:07 PM
If only we weren't banned from changing formation/gameplan or making a sub. That's a farsicle new rule they've introduced. Almost as bad as that one about not being allowed to make a sub until the game is beyond reach.

Don't even get me started on the rule about having a maximum of 2 players who look like they give a ****.

Nevi_SOL
07-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Sorry can't see what he has to offer. The boy either handles the ball or is offside. IMO he doesn't have the attributes like most of that team bar a few.

Cropley10
07-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Defenders throughout the Division high five each other when they get the Hibs team sheet with his name in the starting XI.

A complete absence of any characteristics required to be a striker; no pace, no touch, wins one header in 10. Carries no threat whatsoever.

He simply runs around getting about 4 yards from the ball, never getting a touch, never pressing, never tackling.

Let me up it this way, and to his fans on here, every team we play in the Split will be praying he starts for us.

and let's not forget THE CHAIRMAN picked this player. Maybe that's why he plays every week :dunno:

Cameron1875
07-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Not a fan and he's one of the worst divers i've seen. However, not his fault we lost tonight.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-04-2014, 09:15 PM
No service, no support, no confidence.

Mon Dieu4
07-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Defenders throughout the Division high five each other when they get the Hibs team sheet with his name in the starting XI.

A complete absence of any characteristics required to be a striker; no pace, no touch, wins one header in 10. Carries no threat whatsoever.

He simply runs around getting about 4 yards from the ball, never getting a touch, never pressing, never tackling.

Let me up it this way, and to his fans on here, every team we play in the Split will be praying he starts for us.

and let's not forget THE CHAIRMAN picked this player. Maybe that's why he plays every week :dunno:

im no fan, but he gets a raw deal, he was the ONLY player pressing tonight and chasing lost causes, its not his fault that when a player passes it past him none of his team mates step in to press the player with the ball

ehf
07-04-2014, 09:38 PM

:agree: astonished that Butcher did not change it at half-time. Craig was having the mother of all nightmares, on his arse most of the time, and could easily have been "sacrificed" for a second forward.

truehibernian
07-04-2014, 09:39 PM
im no fan, but he gets a raw deal, he was the ONLY player pressing tonight and chasing lost causes, its not his fault that when a player passes it past him none of his team mates step in to press the player with the ball

No he wasn't - Lewis and Stanton pressed more, won more battles and looked for the forward pass.

You clearly watch a different game to me. James Collins is a poor striker. His strike rate says it all. Thompson, De Lueew, Boyd and Doolan have more goals than him and they are our rival play off opponents. Says it all.

Eyrie
07-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Well said :agree:. He's crying out for someone to play off of him. His hold up play is getting better and work rate is amazing, the problem is that with him on his own and with his back to goal there's no-one near for him to play it to.

:agree: astonished that Butcher did not change it at half-time. Craig was having the mother of all nightmares, on his arse most of the time, and could easily have been "sacrificed" for a second forward.

Agree with the above because I don't understand this modern obsession with only having one striker. Collins needs support, which the midfield isn't giving him, so why not give him a partner?

07-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Once again shown he is not good enough. He's a big laddie but he doesn't use his physicality to his advantage at all, first touch of an elephant.

Butcher, you must be able to find better than this in the summer.

Calum68
07-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Disagree with you NumberSeven. Collins is on a hiding to nothing. He is left chasing long punts and has absolutely **** all support. Might not be the best player but he needs someone playing off him IMO.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Once again shown he is not good enough. He's a big laddie but he doesn't use his physicality to his advantage at all, first touch of an elephant.

Compared to who?

Rubbish.

One upfront at home, no support from midfield. What do you expect him to do?

Mon Dieu4
07-04-2014, 10:03 PM
No he wasn't - Lewis and Stanton pressed more, won more battles and looked for the forward pass.

You clearly watch a different game to me. James Collins is a poor striker. His strike rate says it all. Thompson, De Lueew, Boyd and Doolan have more goals than him and they are our rival play off opponents. Says it all.

the teams you mention play the ball into their strikers where they actually get a chance, not have them constantly chasing balls on their own

We will never know if he is good, half decent or totally crap as he never gets the chance or help to just be an out and out striker

can't think of too much more he could have done today

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2014, 10:05 PM
I think it would be a great idea to get rid of one the few enthusiastic young players we have, completely ignoring the fact that he's totally isolated and about the only person in the team who actually tries, and replace him with another no-hoper who doesn't give a toss.

Eyrie
07-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Compared to who?

Rubbish.

One upfront at home, no support from midfield. What do you expect him to do?

It's clear that Collins job is to receive the punt from our defence, lay it off to himself, then pass it back to where he's supporting from midfield, move the ball wide to where he's providing the overlap before crossing it for himself to score and, if he doesn't, then be in a position to tap home the rebound.

Where's the problem?

Jones28
07-04-2014, 10:06 PM
I think it would be a great idea to get rid of one the few enthusiastic young players we have, completely ignoring the fact that he's totally isolated and about the only person in the team who actually tries, and replace him with another no-hoper who doesn't give a toss.

Nutshell

500miles
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
James was on a hiding to nothing tonight. He was in wide areas, foraging around the midfield, ,making some nice touches, but getting very little service where it mattered. The problem is, when supply becomes so scarce, forwards can snatch at the few opportunities because they may not get another for the whole game.

DaveF
07-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I've been critical of Collins in the past but he worked his arse off tonight for absolutely no reward.

Why we didn't put someone further up to support him is beyond me and was a ridiculous call by Butcher. Perhaps we were keeping it tight to secure our goal difference :rolleyes:

H18Y GW
07-04-2014, 10:18 PM

I agree BUT

Im not sure why he cant knock on the 50 yard lumps,catch them round the other end and hold it up until the slowest and most shot shy midfield in the league make up the 20 yards they are behind...

I can accept lack of ability,if its not there thats it,but lack of effort ,there are 10 most weeks that lag well behind him,totally thankless task leading the line for Hibs

We played a 4-1-4-0-1..:wink:

GreenOnions
07-04-2014, 10:50 PM
No problem with James' commitment or work rate. My abiding memory of him after he leaves will be of him running really fast chasing the ball as opposition defenders pass it amongst themselves - to absolutely no avail. I will also remember his less than impressive ball control and the way he missed most chances that came his way (although there have not been that many I accept).

Just like most of the players brought to the club in recent years - he's simply not good enough for this level. I hope we can cut our losses and move him on in the summer. Others in that category would be McGivern, Nelson, Taiwo, Cairney, Heffernan and, I'm afraid, Handling and Caldwell too.

RIP Bestie
07-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Disagree. He isn't even feeding off scraps and constantly has to play with his back to goal or watch long punts whizz past him. He had one chance tonight, that he brought down and shot, that was blocked by a defender.

Cropley10
07-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Disagree. He isn't even feeding off scraps and constantly has to play with his back to goal or watch long punts whizz past him. He had one chance tonight, that he brought down and shot, that was blocked by a defender.

Ok, can you explain to me, in an ideal scenario, how you see him scoring goals. If this service materialised how should the ball be provided to him in order that he can score?

Please bear in mind he has no pace, a very poor first touch, doesn't win many headers, or beat a man with quick feet, and doesn't have either a rasping outside of the box drive, or the placed top corner curler.

i really don't understand how folk think he will score. So, please enlighten me. What am I missing?

FromTheCapital
07-04-2014, 11:06 PM
I thought Collins was decent yonighth

Emerald
07-04-2014, 11:10 PM

Not read all of this thread but agree with you. Collins never stops chasing lost causes but the service and support he gets going forward is shocking. He is clearly not the best forward we have ever had but he doesn't stand a chance with the service he gets. Leigh Griffiths was exceptional in that he could create and score from nothing, Collins will never do that but he is at least running his butt off despite getting very little help. We are simply not good enough to play with only one up front, our goals for tally kind of proves it.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Ok, can you explain to me, in an ideal scenario, how you see him scoring goals. If this service materialised how should the ball be provided to him in order that he can score?

Please bear in mind he has no pace, a very poor first touch, doesn't win many headers, or beat a man with quick feet, and doesn't have either a rasping outside of the box drive, or the placed top corner curler.

i really don't understand how folk think he will score. So, please enlighten me. What am I missing?

By putting balls into the box high and low. Corners that clear the first man and take the goalie out the game. Collins is penalty box striker but gets no service in the box. Wish folk would get off his back, there's far worse in that team than him.

Cropley10
07-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Balls into the box, high and low. I take it you're not expecting any defenders round about him then? High balls aren't his strength, he barely wins a header, in the box or elsewhere.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Balls into the box, high and low. I take it you're not expecting any defenders round about him then? High balls aren't his strength, he barely wins a header, in the box or elsewhere.

Hard to win headers if there are no crosses?

HFC 0-7
07-04-2014, 11:31 PM
He is not good enough, he runs about a lot but makes the wrong runs. Sprinting between defenders who have the ball is a waste of time and wastes energy. Some of his first touches took him into the path of defenders instead of a away from them.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2014, 11:31 PM
i do feel sorry for collins, having to run around daft like kenny millar had to do in craig Levain's Scotland teams must be pretty exhausting

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 11:33 PM

You know what pal disappear off the board if you're going single Collins out who was one of our better players tonight. Harsh criticism uncalled for.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 11:34 PM
He is not good enough, he runs about a lot but makes the wrong runs. Sprinting between defenders who have the ball is a waste of time and wastes energy. Some of his first touches took him into the path of defenders instead of a away from them.

But if he just stood there and showed no effort he'd get stick. He canny win. Runs about - gets stick. Stands still - gets stick. Chasing the ball down shows fight. I'm pleased he chases the ball down.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 11:36 PM
I thought Collins was decent yonighth

Agree. He was a brighter note from tonight's match. Ssssshhhhhh though, the Collins bashers will be along just now. Stay safe.

FromTheCapital
07-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Agree. He was a brighter note from tonight's match. Ssssshhhhhh though, the Collins bashers will be along just now. Stay safe.

100%. What is he meant to do with the traditional 150mph hoof to Collins' chin?

Cropley10
07-04-2014, 11:49 PM
You know what pal disappear off the board if you're going single Collins out who was one of our better players tonight. Harsh criticism uncalled for.

Ah a difference of opinion and I have to clear off? Is that right?

You said high crosses into the box. I said he doesn't win headers, in the box or elsewhere. He doesn't.

I asked for a player of his very limited ability how we were supposed to get goals out of him. I wasn't singling him out for criticism.

Don't forget the Chairman signed this guy.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2014, 11:59 PM

You said high crosses into the box. I said he doesn't win headers, in the box or elsewhere. He doesn't.

I asked for a player of his very limited ability how we were supposed to get goals out of him. I wasn't singling him out for criticism.

It's all negative. I can see the positives in Collins but I'm willing to give the guy a chance. He needs a partner. Not a lone striking role. That's not his game. Everyone but butcher can see that.

snooky
08-04-2014, 12:05 AM
I've been critical of Collins in the past but he worked his arse off tonight for absolutely no reward.

Why we didn't put someone further up to support him is beyond me and was a ridiculous call by Butcher. Perhaps we were keeping it tight to secure our goal difference :rolleyes:

James looks the part and has a work-rate second to none but he does has an unfortunate trait of nothing ever coming off for him.
You have to wonder if it's really just down to bad luck and/or bad service.

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 12:08 AM
James looks the part and has a work-rate second to none but he does has an unfortunate trait of nothing ever coming off for him.

Refer to billy McKay who had a honking first season. Now he's hot property with championship English clubs monitoring his progress

Hibercelona
08-04-2014, 12:09 AM

It's not bad luck. But he doesn't get anywhere near as much service as he should from the midfield.

But still, when he does occasionally get landed with a good opportunity, he seems to fluff it. But that could be down to a lack of confidence, which would be unstandable considering the situation he finds himself in at the club.

dmc1875
08-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I take it the boos at his substitution were not aimed at Collins?

Very harsh if so. Works hard chases everything with little to no help or service.

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 12:19 AM

Very harsh if so. Works hard chases everything with little no help or service.

I hope not but it was hard to tell. I applauded Collins and hope that butcher took note of the boos.

basehibby
08-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Agree with the above because I don't understand this modern obsession with only having one striker. Collins needs support, which the midfield isn't giving him, so why not give him a partner?

From listening to Butcher's post match interview, Heffernan was stripped to start but injured himself during warm up - resulting in a rethink of starting formation. Re the "one up front" I think it very much depends on the supporting midfield players - with Stanton, Cairney, Craig and Harris on the pitch there maybe could have been a bit better support for Collins tonight (who I agree worked hard and had one of his better outings).

basehibby
08-04-2014, 12:24 AM

Very harsh if so. Works hard chases everything with little to no help or service.

I think that was just because of the timing - already a minute into injury time IIRC so maybe helping the Dons run the clock down a bit - not that it was likely to make any odds at 2-0 down at that stage.

matty_f
08-04-2014, 12:29 AM

Where are you getting this about the Chairman signing the player? What was he supposed to do, tell Fenlon "nah, I dinnae rate him, so you'll need to pick someone else"?

Cropley10
08-04-2014, 06:13 AM
Where are you getting this about the Chairman signing the player? What was he supposed to do, tell Fenlon "nah, I dinnae rate him, so you'll need to pick someone else"?

Collins was not on any Fenlon list, wasn't his pick. Why would he be? We've zero pace and Collons needs it in the box.

We have a Chairman and part owner playing football manager. And we laughed at Romanov.

Cropley10
08-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Refer to billy McKay who had a honking first season. Now he's hot property with championship English clubs monitoring his progress

The difference is McKays got a first touch & has pace.

bawheid
08-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Collins was not on any Fenlon list, wasn't his pick. Why would he be? We've zero pace and Collons needs it in the box.

We have a Chairman and part owner playing football manager. And we laughed at Romanov.

Really?

JimBHibees
08-04-2014, 06:19 AM

Absolutely. Can see the point when the game was tight e.g 1-0? When it went to 2-0 with what 25/30 to go 3 subs should have come on with Cummings partnering Collins up front and then we may have seen how good Anderson actually was. He strolled through the game thinking he was Beckenbauer. In saying that once again Collins has a clear pen turned down? Must be about 3 or 4 he hasnt been given this season and I can only assume refs get together and decide he dives therefore is never going to get a pen.