PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

Pages : 1 [2]

JimBHibees
08-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Collins was not on any Fenlon list, wasn't his pick. Why would he be? We've zero pace and Collons needs it in the box.

We have a Chairman and part owner playing football manager. And we laughed at Romanov.

Proof?

easty
08-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Collins was not on any Fenlon list, wasn't his pick. Why would he be? We've zero pace and Collons needs it in the box.

We have a Chairman and part owner playing football manager. And we laughed at Romanov.

Bull ****.

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 08:28 AM

I'd love for you to prove that.

ColintonHibs
08-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Lol he needs service the guy couldnt score in a brothel

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Lol he needs service the guy couldnt score in a brothel

How many clear cut chances did he get last night ?

The Sea-gull
08-04-2014, 08:55 AM

I've suspected this for a while through just my own reading of the situation and one or two things I've been told but cannot prove it to be the case and others on here have robustly stated that categorically there is no chance anyone other than the Hibs manager signs players.

I think it is relatively common knowledge that John Collins left because he wasn't left to it to sign players on occasion. He stated that eh wanted Stevie Hammel, who was at Southend at the time, to replace David Murphy who was leaving but Rod told him that Hammel was not worth the money.

Collins also said that Rod was trying to get him to sign John Rankin and Colin Nish but he didn't want them. Collins leaves and then Rankin and Nish join a matter of weeks later.

There is also the perennial delays when we sign players, rumours of us often being out bid for players from the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts (though that comes with a huge caveat re there illicit spending) and even on occasions Motherwell and St Johnstone.

I don't know but I just suspect the board at Hibs get a bit more involved in transfers than boards of other clubs do.

Weir7
08-04-2014, 09:19 AM
I've suspected this for a while through just my own reading of the situation and one or two things I've been told but cannot prove it to be the case and others on here have robustly stated that categorically there is no chance anyone other than the Hibs manager signs players.

I think it is relatively common knowledge that John Collins left because he wasn't left to it to sign players on occasion. He stated that eh wanted Stevie Hammel, who was at Southend at the time, to replace David Murphy who was leaving but Rod told him that Hammel was not worth the money.

Collins also said that Rod was trying to get him to sign John Rankin and Colin Nish but he didn't want them. Collins leaves and then Rankin and Nish join a matter of weeks later.

There is also the perennial delays when we sign players, rumours of us often being out bid for players from the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts (though that comes with a huge caveat re there illicit spending) and even on occasions Motherwell and St Johnstone.

I don't know but I just suspect the board at Hibs get a bit more involved in transfers than boards of other clubs do.

Petrie decides who we sign. Managers put names to him but he decides. Many Hibs managers have told me this.

The_Sauz
08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Petrie decides who we sign. Managers put names to him but he decides. Many Hibs managers have told me this.

So you know that many former Hibs managers personally that they would tell you this?

ano hibby
08-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I take it the boos at his substitution were not aimed at Collins?

Very harsh if so. Works hard chases everything with little to no help or service.

I think the boos were for TB taking so long to make a change (IMO). Collins got an applause was the way I read it.

Hermit Crab
08-04-2014, 11:05 AM
I think the boos were for TB taking so long to make a change (IMO). Collins got an applause was the way I read it.

I applauded Collins along with others in the west. Boos I think aimed at butcher waiting so long to change as you point out.

What more should have been on before it went to 0-2. Too late after that and bringing him on after 83 minutes is just ridiculous.

The_Exile
08-04-2014, 11:15 AM

I'm sure Fenlon is on record as saying Collins was one of his targets whilst he was still playing for Shrewsbusry.

eggbamyasi
08-04-2014, 11:26 AM

?????? What ?????? Some people on here just make **** up and stick with it as fact . Its totally mental

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

10-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Once again another ****ing shocker! He offers us absolutely nothing!

Look at the likes of Boyd for them today, a big felly like Collin but he uses that physicality to muscle out defenders and make space for himself. Collins never does that! Never uses his weight to his advantage. For a big laddie, he is a complete lightweight and soft as ****.

Get out the club. Utterly utterly dire!

S4uzee
10-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Playing with 10 men when he plays. Absolutely hopeless

The_Exile
10-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Don't think he won a header all game, he jumps too early.

truehibernian
10-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Once again another ****ing shocker! He offers us absolutely nothing!

Look at the likes of Boyd for them today, a big felly like Collin but he uses that physicality to muscle out defenders and make space for himself. Collins never does that! Never uses his weight to his advantage. For a big laddie, he is a complete lightweight and soft as ****.

Get out the club. Utterly utterly dire!

Boyd is clever though and plays to his strength. Doesn't expend a lot of energy chasing balls down, and watch carefully, doesn't get close to his defender, always leaves him alone and gives himself a few yards - James latches himself like a limpet at times to a central defender where he should be offering himself in space. Yes balls are lumped up, but if he was canny and a far better striker, he'd watch and learn from the likes of Boyd.

Three or four times Boyd was running onto a ball because he is game aware and plays off defenders.

That and Collins is utterly honking and has been since first time I saw him.

mutley
10-05-2014, 02:50 PM
At least he never missed a sitter today....... Oh wait

10-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Thats if he even bothers to jump at all!

Looses every battle

Danderhall Hibs
10-05-2014, 02:51 PM

He did. You don't sit in the f5 lower by any chance do you?

iwasthere1972
10-05-2014, 03:00 PM
He did. You don't sit in the f5 lower by any chance do you?

If Warwick Davis was playing for Killie he would have won all the high balls against Collins. Seriously crap in the air and about as useful to Hibs as a beauty salon is to Gorgie.

Heisenberg
10-05-2014, 03:02 PM
He's pish. Has been all season.

bigwheel
10-05-2014, 03:04 PM
That's who you are choosing to pick on today is it ? Collins had a good first half today - his work rate was outstanding, won most of his headers and link up play was decent...quieter second half, probably now has a sore neck looking at the ball in the clouds all day....he is an easy target - today he was in no way our worse performer.

Gustavo Fring
10-05-2014, 03:05 PM

your too kind , he's as good as a man doon .

10-05-2014, 03:07 PM
That's who you are choosing to pick on today is it ? Collins had a good first half today - his work rate was outstanding, won most of his headers and link up play was decent...quieter second half, probably now has a sore neck looking at the ball in the clouds all day....he is an easy target - today he was in no way our worse performer.

I am not picking him out today as he certianly wasn't the only nightmare out there, I picked him out because all season long he has been utterly hopeless.

Pretty Boy
10-05-2014, 03:07 PM
He just never ever seems to be in the right position.

He never won a header all game then there was point in the 1st half where he ran about 30 yards to challenge for a ball that was dropping right on Heffernans head, Heff flicked it on then turned to see where Collins was only to look bemused because he was standing right next to him and the ball trickled through to the keeper.

He tries hard but he's just painful to watch.

Cropley10
10-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Hours and hours of pitch time and zero goals. And he's here next season. You could take him off the park and it wouldn't make any difference.

MyJo
10-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Hours and hours of pitch time and zero goals. And he's here next season. You could take him off the park and it wouldn't make any difference.

Taking him off the park would probably improve things

hibsbollah
10-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I thought he did better than recent weeks and was better than Heffernan. Still not good enough though. How he scored so many down south is a mystery...

Cameron1875
10-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Watching him makes me still have faith i'll make it as a pro. Might dust of the old boots after witnessing that performance, abomination of a footballer.

weonlywon6-2
10-05-2014, 03:47 PM
He is useless,has been all season,never won a header all day

bigwheel
10-05-2014, 04:08 PM
He is useless,has been all season,never won a header all day

For those with this "never won a header all day " view - do you actually watch the game, or just choose to see what you want to see....he won as many as anyone ...ok, so you don't rate him - that's your right - but don't let facts get in the way ....

Danderhall Hibs
10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
For those with this "never won a header all day " view - do you actually watch the game, or just choose to see what you want to see....he won as many as anyone ...ok, so you don't rate him - that's your right - but don't let facts get in the way ....

:agree: they talk pish all the time.

Onion
10-05-2014, 04:53 PM
They say better to be lucky than good. Today and all season long Collins has proved he's neither.

Up The Bracket
10-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Aye, it's all his fault we lost today eh?

At least he looked bothered unlike Heffernan.

He scored 18 goals last season for Swindon in League 1, Adam Rooney scored 9. Hibs fans keep banging on about how we should have signed Rooney instead when Collins beat his goal tally on an exactly equal playing field.

He's no been great for us, I'm not saying that at all, but he's our second top goalscorer and he runs himself into the ground every time he plays.

But aye, it's his fault we're in the play-off's eh?

snooky
10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Boyd is clever though and plays to his strength. Doesn't expend a lot of energy chasing balls down, and watch carefully, doesn't get close to his defender, always leaves him alone and gives himself a few yards - James latches himself like a limpet at times to a central defender where he should be offering himself in space. Yes balls are lumped up, but if he was canny and a far better striker, he'd watch and learn from the likes of Boyd.

Three or four times Boyd was running onto a ball because he is game aware and plays off defenders.

That and Collins is utterly honking and has been since first time I saw him.

:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
10-05-2014, 04:57 PM

He scored 18 goals last season for Swindon in League 1, Adam Rooney scored 9. Hibs fans keep banging on about how we should have signed Rooney instead when Collins beat his goal tally on an exactly equal playing field.

He's no been great for us, I'm not saying that at all, but he's our second top goalscorer and he runs himself into the ground every time he plays.

He's scored more than Heffernan, Cummings and Haynes added together!

Imagine how pish we could've made Rooney look if we'd got him in January?!

lapsedhibee
10-05-2014, 04:58 PM

And Stevie Crawford scored a barrowload of goals playing alongside Craig Brewster. It took a while for everyone to realise why.

conway1875
10-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Good post!! What is a striker meant to do with a lump up the park, fair enough if hers a target man but he clearly isn't!!

Hibiza
10-05-2014, 05:20 PM
about as much use as a banana flavoured baboon repellent. bye bye, you and Butch . Chesterfield with " top scorer " Eoin awaits.

Hibiza
10-05-2014, 05:22 PM

good on ye. A pure urinal cube .

Jdawg
10-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Good post!! What is a striker meant to do with a lump up the park, fair enough if hers a target man but he clearly isn't!!

If we actual got to the bye line in games and crossed maybe we would see the best of him. Floated balls from McGivern ad Maybury from 10 yards inside the opponents half isn't going to do much. Whilst he has missed a fair few decent chances you certainly cant load the blame on him.

LaMotta
10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
about as much use as a banana flavoured baboon repellent. bye bye, you and Butch . Chesterfield with " top scorer " Eoin awaits.

:rotflmao:

Hibby Bairn
10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I thought he did better than recent weeks and was better than Heffernan. Still not good enough though. How he scored so many down south is a mystery...

Maybe he played in a team that didn't constantly chuck balls high into the box?

clerriehibs
10-05-2014, 05:29 PM

What is he then? He has no pace, he can't jump, he can't hold the ball up. This season's mess isn't down to Collins, but you can't blame the tactics for his personal failures, when he can't meet any other criteria for being a striker.

The Harp
10-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Haven't had the chance to read all the posts on Collins but couldn't disagree more with most of the ones I've seen. For me, if the rest of the team had the same work rate today as James we'd not be in this situation. Unfortunately, his ability in front of goal isn't the best, but for me, he ran his socks off today.
Heff couldn't be expected to be at full fitness but maybe if he'd actually had a ball to feet instead of being lumped up to him in the air for the duration of the game, he might just have been able to do something.
Must say, in general I've no complaints about the determination today of the players ... as for the man in charge of them, I've lost all confidence.

MyJo
10-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Why is "running himself into the ground" a positive thing? It clearly doesnt do us any good otherwise we would sign Mo Farah for next season.

Kris Boyd mopes about scratching his erse for most of the game, has a couple of pies and a pint at half time by the looks of him but while Collins is working his socks off for us Boyd is actually scoring for Killie and winning them the game, thats what counts.

The Harp
10-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Why is "running himself into the ground" a positive thing? It clearly doesnt do us any good otherwise we would sign Mo Farah for next season.

Kris Boyd mopes about scratching his erse for most of the game, has a couple of pies and a pint at half time by the looks of him but while Collins is working his socks off for us Boyd is actually scoring for Killie and winning them the game, thats what counts.

Can't disagree with that but we didn't sign him, Killie did. We've got to work with what we've got.

Bayern Bru
10-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Why not go the whole hog and blame Collins for everything that's wrong with Hibs? Today was far from his worst game, I was impressed with his work rate in the first half even when nothing fell for him. Pick a scapegoat and blame him for everything. I'm ******* sick of some sections of our support. Collins won several headers today, by the way.

HibbyAndy
10-05-2014, 06:04 PM
See if i had a quid for everytime i read on here the guy tries id be a multi millionaire.

JC is judged on goals and he doesnt score any.Its that easy.

weonlywon6-2
10-05-2014, 06:06 PM

I hear what you say and i really want him to succeed but withoit splitting hairs every ball he went up for he lost that i saw,he really is a weak link in a very poor team

Dr Jimmy
10-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I just wish he would spend more time in and around the box. Let others track back and tackle.

truehibernian
10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I just wish he would spend more time in and around the box. Let others track back and tackle.

Did you see the way Craig, Stanton and Robbo 'tracked back' today ?

Up The Bracket
10-05-2014, 06:13 PM

What strikers do we have at the team that are better then? Who would you have played instead?

Dr Jimmy
10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Did you see the way Craig, Stanton and Robbo 'tracked back' today ?

Not sure of your point. Mine was Collins works too hard in the wrong areas of the pitch for a centre forward.

Pretty Boy
10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
See if i had a quid for everytime i read on here the guy tries id be a multi millionaire.

This.

Give me a Hibs top and stick me up front and I'd try my erse off as well.

Unfortunately I'd still be about a stone overweight, technically woeful, absolutely knackered after 20 minutes and unable to hit a cows backside with a banjo.

Trying is the absolute minimum that should be expected of any player at any level.

Up The Bracket
10-05-2014, 06:23 PM

He's scored more goals than any other Hibs striker this season, I don't see threads being started every week to berate Handling, Heffernan, Haynes and Cummings - who haven't equalled Collins' goal tally if you add up all their goals put together.

HibbyAndy
10-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Well you start a thread then?.

JC imo should have more goals than he has for sure.

MyJo
10-05-2014, 06:25 PM
What strikers do we have at the team that are better then? Who would you have played instead?

I would have stuck with Cummings up front alongside Heffernan, Cummings can actually control a pass and hold the ball up unlike Collins and having him doing that with Heffernan alongside him may have proven more fruitful than watching Collins run around waving his arms a lot.

Also jumping at a ball and it bouncing off you on its way to a kilmarnock player doesnt count as winning headers

truehibernian
10-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Not sure of your point. Mine was Collins works too hard in the wrong areas of the pitch for a centre forward.

I'd agree with you - but I'd go further to say that Collins is a very bad striker and not an intelligent footballer. He is neither mobile nor strong. He plays too close to the central player who marks him.....he's nearly always 'marking' the defender himself.

Today, along with Heffernan, they should have played between Pascali and the other player......instead they played too close and too tight. Wee Watmore would gather the ball and look up....with no one close to him......Heff and Collins had backs to goal and were not showing.

I know other disagree with me but he also looks unfit. Yes he is asked to work a lot up top, but that should be okay for a pro footballer his age. He was blowing today and for me, the adrenalin alone should be giving you an extra yard or two.

It's also a shame Robbo has had off days the last two games as he had been playing not too bad and made us look tidier in the middle. He was poor today, just don't know if the penalty up at Dingwall was praying on his mind, who knows.

Dr Jimmy
10-05-2014, 06:28 PM
I'd agree with you - but I'd go further to say that Collins is a very bad striker and not an intelligent footballer. He is neither mobile nor strong. He plays too close to the central player who marks him.....he's nearly always 'marking' the defender himself.

Today, along with Heffernan, they should have played between Pascali and the other player......instead they played too close and too tight. Wee Watmore would gather the ball and look up....with no one close to him......Heff and Collins had backs to goal and were not showing.

I know other disagree with me but he also looks unfit. Yes he is asked to work a lot up top, but that should be okay for a pro footballer his age. He was blowing today and for me, the adrenalin alone should be giving you an extra yard or two.

It's also a shame Robbo has had off days the last two games as he had been playing not too bad and made us look tidier in the middle. He was poor today, just don't know if the penalty up at Dingwall was praying on his mind, who knows.
I can't disagree with anything you have said and I wasn't defending Collins. I just feel if he is to improve he needs to be more selfish, but wether he can improve is debatable.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
He might not be a bad player in the championship

Kevinb
Would have been better off spending the money on Griff ot Lyle Taylor.

We we would be better off with Joan CollinsCollins:flag:

MyJo
He's scored more goals than any other Hibs striker this season, I don't see threads being started every week to berate Handling, Heffernan, Haynes and Cummings - who haven't equalled Collins' goal tally if you add up all their goals put together.

Handling and Cummings are kids with very little experience and can only have about 10 first team games each this season, Heffernan has been plagued with injuries and Haynes has only played about 3 games for us. Collins was our big summer signing last year to replace Leigh Griffiths and has had plenty of opportunity to score and win us games this season but has failed to do so and that is why its especially frustrating and depressing to watch inept performance after inept performance from him.

HibbyAndy
10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Handling and Cummings are kids with very little experience and can only have about 10 first team games each this season, Heffernan has been plagued with injuries and Haynes has only played about 3 games for us. Collins was our big summer signing last year to replace Leigh Griffiths and has had plenty of opportunity to score and win us games this season but has failed to do so and that is why its especially frustrating and depressing to watch inept performance after inept performance from him.

And he cant control a ball...For a striker thats a cardinal sin.

Up The Bracket
10-05-2014, 06:35 PM
I would have stuck with Cummings up front alongside Heffernan, Cummings can actually control a pass and hold the ball up unlike Collins and having him doing that with Heffernan alongside him may have proven more fruitful than watching Collins run around waving his arms a lot.

Also jumping at a ball and it bouncing off you on its way to a kilmarnock player doesnt count as winning headers

Cummings who hasn't scored a senior goal up front in the biggest game of the season ahead of someone who's scored 6?

Butcher out "MyJo" in

LaMotta
10-05-2014, 06:36 PM

:agree::agree:

And he cant control a ball...For a striker thats a cardinal sin.

:agree::agree::agree:

Sir David Gray
10-05-2014, 06:40 PM
I just don't see anything in him to be honest.

The galling thing is, he'll probably move on shortly and be a revelation at his new club.

MyJo
10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Cummings who hasn't scored a senior goal up front in the biggest game of the season ahead of someone who's scored 6?

Butcher out "MyJo" in

Cummings has shown more skill and ability as a striker in the few games he has been given this season than Collins has in the past year, he can hold the ball up and actually control a pass to him unlike Collins and that could have made all the difference playing with a striker alongside him rather than being up-front on his own like he has done before.

macd123
10-05-2014, 06:49 PM

Outscored adam rooney at swindon with 18 goals last season (rooney got 10). I can't explain that though.

Cropley10
10-05-2014, 06:54 PM
If you took James Collins off and played with 10 men it wouldn't make any difference.

Cropley10
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM

He doesn't win headers because he always jumps too early. The odd one he flukes goes straight up in the air.

silverhibee
10-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Pish poor striker who won't get any better, 6 goals.

You were right Fraz.

Ronniekirk
10-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Outscored adam rooney at swindon with 18 goals last season (rooney got 10). I can't explain that though.

He was obviously played in a system that suited his style of play and manager knew how to get the best out of him I don't particularly see a lot of potential in him but he clearly had something but we have destroyed that and his confidence is shot through He looks uncomfortable in his own skin just now .

Ronniekirk
10-05-2014, 07:19 PM
He doesn't win headers because he always jumps too early. The odd one he flukes goes straight up in the air.

Agree but he can get on the end of whipped in crosses and win glancing headers that's where he has scored a few goals and had a few efforts saved but we seem unable to get that type of service into him .These hoofed balls of just floated into box so everyone can see them coming is just point less

wookie70
10-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Comparing Boyd and Collins today was fascinating.

Boyd always gambles. He is waiting for a CH to make a mistake. He lives in the gap between the two CHs and always makes them wonder who should pick him up. When there is a chance of the ball going into the box he makes space and the timing of his run usually puts him in a goal scoring position. He uses nearly all his energy in trying to get a goal or create an attack. His energy is focused on making runs towards dangerous positions and knocking CHs about. A player who seems to understand everything about being a Centre Forward and what the role entails

Collins is practically the polar opposite. Huge amounts of energy wasted chasing totally lost causes. Even Jason Cummings at a tender age manages his energy far better. Collins seems to make runs towards opponents and rarely plays in the no mans land between the CHs. I don't think I can remember watching another forward whose must decisive runs are back towards his own goals to collect the ball in the centre circle. When he very occasionally gets in the box he doesn't try to get that yard of space and looks very easy to mark. A very poor footballer who has no idea how to play the Centre Forward role imo. Heffernan looks like a footballer when he plays even half fit.

One of the big differences(not just Collins) in Hibs and Killie today was marking in the box. Boyd had yards of space when he scored. Hibs had quite a few shots where there were two or three Killie players around the ball and blocking shots. Hibs shape is shocking and Butcher has to figure it out quick.

Cropley10
10-05-2014, 08:24 PM

Boyd always gambles. He is waiting for a CH to make a mistake. He lives in the gap between the two CHs and always makes them wonder who should pick him up. When there is a chance of the ball going into the box he makes space and the timing of his run usually puts him in a goal scoring position. He uses nearly all his energy in trying to get a goal or create an attack. His energy is focused on making runs towards dangerous positions and knocking CHs about. A player who seems to understand everything about being a Centre Forward and what the role entails

Collins is practically the polar opposite. Huge amounts of energy wasted chasing totally lost causes. Even Jason Cummings at a tender age manages his energy far better. Collins seems to make runs towards opponents and rarely plays in the no mans land between the CHs. I don't think I can remember watching another forward whose must decisive runs are back towards his own goals to collect the ball in the centre circle. When he very occasionally gets in the box he doesn't try to get that yard of space and looks very easy to mark. A very poor footballer who has no idea how to play the Centre Forward role imo. Heffernan looks like a footballer when he plays even half fit.

One of the big differences(not just Collins) in Hibs and Killie today was marking in the box. Boyd had yards of space when he scored. Hibs had quite a few shots where there were two or three Killie players around the ball and blocking shots. Hibs shape is shocking and Butcher has to figure it out quick.

Very intelligent post.

Collins fans &/or Jambos will be along in a minute.

We're stuck with this guy next season too.

Hiber-nation
10-05-2014, 08:27 PM

Very good assessment. Don't think many could argue with that.

trev the hat
10-05-2014, 08:32 PM
He'll be offloaded down south at OUR
cost next season regardless where we are.
Mind the.
Gap

gegs70
10-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Agree, he also never reacts fast enough to loose balls in the box til it's too late....I noticed that he and heffernan really didn't work off each other a few times Collins got in his way or they would go for the same ball...poor communication!!!

gegs70
10-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Very good assessment. Don't think many could argue with that.

Forster should have cleared the.ball but left it to Maybury.... It's not.the first time he's done this...

MADE IN LEITH
11-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Totally apathetic to the players who pick up a very healthy wage packet and are doing nothing in return to save the club right now.

macd123
11-05-2014, 01:05 AM
One of the big differences(not just Collins) in Hibs and Killie today was marking in the box. Boyd had yards of space when he scored. Hibs had quite a few shots where there were two or three Killie players around the ball and blocking shots. Hibs shape is shocking and Butcher has to figure it out quick.[/QUOTE]

The reason for that is when you lob a ball from 30 yards their back 4 can just stick together and it's easy headers all day. We never try to turn defences or pull them out of position. Our main play makers are nelson and mcgivern and even boyd would struggle with that.

wookie70
11-05-2014, 09:16 PM
The reason for that is when you lob a ball from 30 yards their back 4 can just stick together and it's easy headers all day. We never try to turn defences or pull them out of position. Our main play makers are nelson and mcgivern and even boyd would struggle with that.[/QUOTE]

Killie's goal came from a ball delivered, pretty poorly, from 30 yards out. We had two players, Maybury and Forster, who both could have marked Boyd. Neither did and the result was there for all to see. Forster gets caught out all the time ball watching and any Centre Forward with a bit of nowse will get space in the box. There are also huge communications problems in the defense probably because it changes so often. Imo Nelson and Forster seem to play the same role and get in the way of each other rather than complementing each other.

KWJ
11-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Worth remembering that he is 23, plenty of room for improvement.

And as others have pointed out Higdon, McKay, Rooney, Sutton & others didn't take the SPL by storm in their first season.

Onion
12-05-2014, 07:27 AM

And as others have pointed out Higdon, McKay, Rooney, Sutton & others didn't take the SPL by storm in their first season.

Unfortunately, seen nothing in Collins game to suggest he's capable of scoring 15-20 goals at SPL level. And somehow don't think Butcher will think James Collins is the man to lead his attacking line next season. IMO he'll be gone before the end of the summer, never to be seen in Scotland again, just like Fenlon.

12-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Agree with your post but to me he just doesn't show any signs of a decent player. For a big guy he's far too lightweight and I know he must be mega low on confidence but how many absolute sitters has he missed for us this season?!

I want to believe there is a decent striker for us in there somewhere but unfortunately I just don't and we should be getting rid and using the wages on someone else.

weonlywon6-2
12-05-2014, 04:37 PM

The only place collins will take by storm is george street

silverhibee
12-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Agree with your post but to me he just doesn't show any signs of a decent player. For a big guy he's far too lightweight and I know he must be mega low on confidence but how many absolute sitters has he missed for us this season?!

I want to believe there is a decent striker for us in there somewhere but unfortunately I just don't and we should be getting rid and using the wages on someone else.

Hopefully he can get a move back down South and we can get him of the wage bill, but who will pay £200k for him though. :wink::greengrin

southsider
12-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Hopefully he can get a move back down South and we can get him of the wage bill, but who will pay £200k for him though. :wink::greengrin
We paid nothing near that, although did pay a fee of between £60-£70 k. Still a hell of a lot of money for what is a bad junior.

MyJo
21-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Butcher out "MyJo" in

:smug: I'll let butcher keep my seat warm just now

GGTTH07
21-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Liked his reaction to cummings seconds goal.

Nutmegged
22-05-2014, 08:11 AM
We paid nothing near that, although did pay a fee of between £60-£70 k. Still a hell of a lot of money for what is a bad junior.

It was nearer £120k we paid for him...don't know where you plucked that figure from to be honest.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Liked his reaction to cummings seconds goal.

Me too:agree:

Nice one James!

Nutmegged
22-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Me too:agree:

Nice one James!

Me three, showed that despite all the guff, we're all in it together, there he was going mental for a kid who took his place, brilliant stuff

Alex Trager
22-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Me three, showed that despite all the guff, we're all in it together, there he was going mental for a kid who took his place, brilliant stuff

I am gutted someone else has pointed it out. Superb

NOLA
22-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Best reaction from him since the derby goal ;)

--------
22-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Butcher out "MyJo" in

Cummings has shown more skill and ability as a striker in the few games he has been given this season than Collins has in the past year, he can hold the ball up and actually control a pass to him unlike Collins and that could have made all the difference playing with a striker alongside him rather than being up-front on his own like he has done before.

:devil: 2-0 to MyJo? :wink:

A lot of players have to leave at the end of the month. Collins may well be one of them.

Collins had done well in the Football League, and IMO his signing made sense at the time. It hasn't worked out, but how much of that comes down to Collins' own shortcomings or to the general situation at the club this season isn't clear - to me, at least.

Intelligent and penetrating service from midfield to strikers hasn't been one of Hibs' strong-points this season, and playing up front alone with the ball whizzing past you ten feet off the ground doesn't help any centre-forward excel.

If he stays, I hope Butcher works out some way of getting the ball to him in positions where it's some use to him, and works out some other way of getting him into positions where he can actually use the ball to some purpose.

I do feel that Robertson's fitness and availability is a major factor in how the midfield operates. His absence has been a real loss to us. That doesn't excuse the dearth of ideas from the others, though.

Expecting Rain
22-05-2014, 09:44 AM
:devil: 2-0 to MyJo? :wink:

A lot of players have to leave at the end of the month. Collins may well be one of them.

Collins had done well in the Football League, and IMO his signing made sense at the time. It hasn't worked out, but how much of that comes down to Collins' own shortcomings or to the general situation at the club this season isn't clear - to me, at least.

Intelligent and penetrating service from midfield to strikers hasn't been one of Hibs' strong-points this season, and playing up front alone with the ball whizzing past you ten feet off the ground doesn't help any centre-forward excel.

If he stays, I hope Butcher works out some way of getting the ball to him in positions where it's some use to him, and works out some other way of getting him into positions where he can actually use the ball to some purpose.

I do feel that Robertson's fitness and availability is a major factor in how the midfield operates. His absence has been a real loss to us. That doesn't excuse the dearth of ideas from the others, though.

I agree we can only truly judge Collins in a better team with better service, perhaps next season will give us a better picture, providing of course that we finish the job we started with Hamilton.