PDA

View Full Version : Thomson

duffers
30-03-2014, 02:37 PM
I know I started a Thomson thread last week, and no, I'm not Kevin Thomson, but why he never started today is beyond me. Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch the last 20 minutes. If Butcher can't see he's the best player we have, then I'm worried.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 02:39 PM
I know I started a Thomson thread last week, and no, I'm not Kevin Thomson, but why he never started today is beyond me. Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch the last 20 minutes. If Butcher can't send he's the best player we have, then I'm worried.

Where was he for the 2nd goal though?

TheFamous1875
30-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Where was Alan Maybury? You can't blame their goal on Thomson, at least he tracked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Passed the ball to a Hibs player about 8 or 9 times which must have been about the best pass completion rate of any of our players.

R'Albin

Up attacking with the other eight Hibs players who were there. I don't see how the second was in any way his fault :confused:

Edit - Unless he was the one guy back, in which case he can be forgiven for losing out against four Hearts players.

J-C

Attacking trying to get an equaliser, we got caught on the counter and down to 10 men, don't tell me you're gonna have a go at Thomson for the 2nd, jeez :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Where was Alan Maybury? You can't blame their goal on Thomson, at least he tracked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ball drops in midfield in exactly the position he should've been/normally is in.

hibbysam
30-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Really? Down to ten men and chasing a goal... I don't think I'll blame anyone for that! Just one look at forster's 'goal' shows me what Kevin Thomson brings to the table! Miles and miles ahead of anyone in this side! Him and Stanton should be our middle two for next year!

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 02:43 PM
No positional discipline.

Boyle89
30-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Ball drops in midfield in exactly the position he should've been/normally is in.

Normally=11 men. We were down to 10 pushing for, what technically should've been a winner.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Normally=11 men. We were down to 10 pushing for, what technically should've been a winner.

So you just run about like a headless chicken in that situation?

Thecat23
30-03-2014, 02:45 PM
No positional discipline.

I think you are wrong. We went for it and Thomson was driving us on. To put any blame on him is frankly ridiculous.

Judas Iscariot
30-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Butcher cutting his nose off to spite us

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 02:47 PM
I think you are wrong. We went for it and Thomson was driving us on. To put any blame on him is frankly ridiculous.

I'm not blaming him for the loss just sick of hearing how he's the saviour.

He was posted missing for the 2nd (as were others). When we had our best run of results this season he wasn't in the team.

col02
30-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Would be the first pick for me when fit and available with the likes of Stanton and Harris benefiting more from his calm passing rather than the hoof up the park method currently being witnessed.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2014, 02:48 PM

:agree:

An absolute disgrace that he didn't start today. We only started playing when he came on. I'm really losing patience with this change 4 players every week stuff from Butcher.

And if the boy Boateng isn't good enough to handle the laddies that hearts up front had then I seriously wonder what's going on as playing Maybury was just ridiculous.

PeeJay
30-03-2014, 02:50 PM
I know I started a Thomson thread last week, and no, I'm not Kevin Thomson, but why he never started today is beyond me. Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch the last 20 minutes. If Butcher can't see he's the best player we have, then I'm worried.

Thought the team was much more composed and willing to PASS the ball when Thompson and Harris came on, we looked more purposeful - don't understand why it took Butcher long to get them on ... it was obvious early on the in the game that the "game plan" wasn't working and needed changing ... blaming Thompson for the 2nd goal is pretty pathetic really ...

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Aye apart from the bad things he done he was brilliant.

hibees 7062
30-03-2014, 02:51 PM

:agree:

churchie16
30-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Mental how one of the best footballers at the club can't get his game! Cause he doesn't get the ball 'forward' quick enough we now see where this is getting us!

Simkin911
30-03-2014, 03:01 PM
It's all about opinions on a forum but for me he was doing all the basics very well when he came on. Needs to be in the starting 11 next time and remain there for 2-3 games anyway as we are really really poor at the moment.

jeffers
30-03-2014, 03:02 PM
When he came on he was the one Hibs player who showed a bit of class and composure. His constant omission from the starting 11 amazes me, one of many poor decisions by TB & MM.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 03:05 PM
When he came on he was the one Hibs player who showed a bit of class and composure. His constant omission from the starting 11 amazes me, one of many poor decisions by TB & MM.

On the face of it you wonder why. Maybe he does too much in the background that pisses the management team off?

dchibs
30-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Hibs dominated the second half by playing football and not playing hoofball as in the first half .we should build the team around the team with the the likes of Thomson.

Davy Mac
30-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Correct in my opinion.

neil7908
30-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Needs to start next week. Big problem for us today was that Stanton had to keep coming back to pick the ball up. Before Thomson came on he was effectively trying to run the game from deep but had no one else in midfield or up front to link with.

I'd like to see Thomson dictating from his usual position sitting a bit deeper and have Stanton playing a bit further forward where his skill and movement can hurt teams. He's wasted picking it up on the half way line with a static forward line in front of him.

The Harp Awakes
30-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Thomson doesn't play hoof ball so he doesn't get a game.

churchie16
30-03-2014, 03:14 PM

Bang on!

Davy Mac

Correct but interestingly Thomson can ping a fifty yard pass into corners which is pretty much TB's strategy.

Thompson should be in the starting 11. Why Butcher prefers Taiwo instead is utterly beyond me.

dchibs
30-03-2014, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=NumberSeven;3948437]Thompson should be in the starting 11. Why Butcher prefers Taiwo instead is utterly beyond me.[/Q
I like Taiwo for his energy he was the best pairing with Claros and think he could be good with Thomson if Bucher plays though the midfield.

B.H.F.C
30-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Aye apart from the bad things he done he was brilliant.

Hi Terry

Golden Bear
30-03-2014, 03:41 PM

This comment hit the nail firmly on the head.

stu in nottingham
30-03-2014, 03:47 PM

Correct I'd say. He passes the ball way too much for the likes of this manager.

Fergus52
30-03-2014, 03:51 PM

All those amazing 5 yard side-way passes, really showed his class.

Fergus52
30-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Thompson should be in the starting 11. Why Butcher prefers Taiwo instead is utterly beyond me.

Taiwo is a better centre-mid than Thomson.

Thomson is a better passer but he has no other attributes stronger than Taiwo.

PeeJay
30-03-2014, 03:53 PM

A distance beyond most of the team in every direction, you simply have to admit it ... :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
30-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Never in a month of Sundays

yekimevol
30-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Ten out of ten !!!

Scooter
30-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Thommo should have started and we were much better when him and harris came on. And what was all this butcher saying he's taken harris out the team and won't see him until next season. Then the very next game he's back. Honestly think butcher has lost it

Blaster
30-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Thommo should have started and we were much better when him and harris came on. And what was all this butcher saying he's taken harris out the team and won't see him until next season. Then the very next game he's back. Honestly think butcher has lost it

I cant remember butcher actually saying that about Harris but taking him out the team worked as i thought he looked much better when he came on.

Agree that Thomson should have started

LaMotta
30-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Correct but interestingly Thomson can ping a fifty yard pass into corners which is pretty much TB's strategy.

Very good point

kentao
30-03-2014, 06:03 PM
We only started playing football when thompson came onto the pitch before that we resorted to hoof ball best midfielder in the squad

Jdawg
30-03-2014, 06:04 PM

Thomson is a better passer but he has no other attributes stronger than Taiwo. Behave. Taiwo is a terrible footballer. Taken off and rightly so. Thomson, when he came on, helped us retain the ball far better. We played far better as a team when Thomson (and Harris) came on as the ball started to get played on the GROUND! When hibs started to pass it when looks much better.

Beefster
30-03-2014, 06:11 PM

He was posted missing for the 2nd (as were others). When we had our best run of results this season he wasn't in the team.

Wasn't Thomson one of the only ones to actually try to get back?

AlbertK86
30-03-2014, 06:12 PM

Grow up

Barca dominate every game with these type of 5 yard passed

Stantons Angel
30-03-2014, 06:12 PM

Well blame the others too then.!!!

Hibs only started playing when Thomson came on!

He showed a calmness we were missing all first half, we went for the goal at the end and therefore got caught on the rebound because Maybury was in an early bath.

Thomson is NOT our saviour but he is a damned good player and can create and drive a team on from midfield, NO ONE did that in the first half NO ONE!

If Butcher cant see the skill in the player then he should stop harping on and play him!!!

He came on and gave a bit of guidance to a young forward line who where getting pushed off the ball and given no time what so ever on it either.

Its Thomsons commitment to the jersey we havent got in the rest of them that worrys me!!

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Wasn't Thomson one of the only ones to actually try to get back?

Yeah. It's all very well resolving (or trying to) a complaint but it'd be better if the complaint wasn't raised in the 1st place.

Dashing Bob S
30-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Thomson is not the answer. He doesn't fit in to how Butcher wants to play -with pace- and won't be here next season. Accept it and move on.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Because 75 yard hoofs were far more effective.

Stantons Angel
30-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Thomson is not the answer. He doesn't fit in to how Butcher wants to play -with pace- and won't be here next season. Accept it and move on.

Maybe your right that he wont be here next season.

But he was there today and showed the composure we were missing in the first half!

It should have been today we were concentrating on, today not last week, not next season, TODAY!

Beefster
30-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah. It's all very well resolving (or trying to) a complaint but it'd be better if the complaint wasn't raised in the 1st place.

So he wasn't posted missing. To be fair, every player loses possession (I saw Iniesta lose the ball last week) but not everyone has Nelson and co behind them.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 06:21 PM
So he wasn't posted missing. To be fair, every player loses possession (I saw Iniesta lose the ball last week) but not everyone has Nelson and co behind them.

He didn't lose possession. If he had been in position (ie not posted missing) when the ball dropped 35 yards out he wouldn't have had to run the length of the park with no hope of getting near the ball.

basehibby
30-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Got to say I agree that he's possibly the classiest player we have in the squad and I was perplexed when Thomson was named amongst those no longer required in January. I guessed at the time that maybe he was one of the higher paid central midfielders and because of Fenlon's seeming desire to fill the squad with players who could play defensive midfield he was told to find another club. All the same I don't think he lacks commitment to the cause and have been surprised he's not been used more - but has he not had some injuries that have kept him out for most of Butcher's tenure anyway?

Beefster
30-03-2014, 06:28 PM
He didn't lose possession. If he had been in position (ie not posted missing) when the ball dropped 35 yards out he wouldn't have had to run the length of the park with no hope of getting near the ball.

Bizarre. Forster makes a powder-puff challenge and Nelson is nowhere to be seen but it's Thomson's fault...

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Bizarre. Forster makes a powder-puff challenge and Nelson is nowhere to be seen but it's Thomson's fault...

Are you just reading selected posts?

keep the faith
30-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Laughable

R'Albin
30-03-2014, 07:24 PM

With a four man midfield and with him being the only CDM I'd agree, but surely he could fit into this five man midfield today? While Thomson may struggle for fitness and energy, with either Taiwo (preferably) or Stanton (I'd rather see him further forward) next to him they could do some of his legwork. There were times where we were crying out for someone with his skill and composure in the first half, and it certainly benefited us when he did come on.

Beefster
30-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Are you just reading selected posts?

Very probably!

J-C
30-03-2014, 07:28 PM

So when exactly did you catch Thomson sleeping with your missus, it's the only answer I can give for your seemingly hatred towards the guy.
Again I'll emphasise what other have said, we were down to 10 men with a few minutes to go, Thomson like nearly every other forward and midfielder was pushing forward to get a goal that would've at least saved some face, we got caught on the counter, it happens in these situations but to try to pin the blame on one single players is is incredibly petty and childish. :confused::rolleyes:

hibbill2002
30-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Best footballer we have, and he's ****ged dander hall hibbys burd

ballengeich
30-03-2014, 07:33 PM

While I agree that Butcher wants to play with pace, at Inverness he used Tudur-Jones in front of the defence to stop opponents' attacks, It's a role a fully fit Thomson could play better than either Tudur-Jones (who Butcher wanted to keep at ICT) or Taiwo. However, I suspect that Thomson's injuries have taken their toll and he'll leave in the summer as he can't get back to his previous level.

McLeod1875
30-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Thomson is the only decent passer of the ball in our squad. Couldn't believe he was on the bench. Always confuses me how he doesn't get a start and the full 90mins week in week out (when fit).

Head and shoulders above the rest of they clowns, imo.

happiehibbie
30-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Butcher as said before is "cutting his nose of to spite his face" this has to stop

GET THOMSON IN THE TEAM FFS

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:14 PM
So when exactly did you catch Thomson sleeping with your missus, it's the only answer I can give for your seemingly hatred towards the guy.
Again I'll emphasise what other have said, we were down to 10 men with a few minutes to go, Thomson like nearly every other forward and midfielder was pushing forward to get a goal that would've at least saved some face, we got caught on the counter, it happens in these situations but to try to pin the blame on one single players is is incredibly petty and childish. :confused::rolleyes:

FFS I give up.:rolleyes:

Judas Iscariot
30-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Yes he won't be here next season and most of the current squad won't be either but he should be playing..

Anyway, most the fans won't be around next season too so Terry won't have to worry about playing in front of reasonably big crowds at home

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Best footballer we have, and he's ****ged dander hall hibbys burd

Posts like this are made by folk not intelligent enough to have a debate.

3pm
30-03-2014, 08:22 PM
He should be in the team. There is no debate.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:26 PM
He should be in the team. There is no debate.

No doubt he's a decent footballer but he's not the saviour that some seem to be claiming. He did play last week and made no difference. As for today he played one good pass that I remember then as I've said left a gaping hole (along with the rest of the midfield) for their 2nd.

Dr Jimmy
30-03-2014, 08:27 PM

kt was head and shoulders above everyone on that park today.
the worrying thing for us is if butcher cant see that.

3pm
30-03-2014, 08:28 PM
No doubt he's a decent footballer but he's not the saviour that some seem to be claiming. He did play last week and made no difference. As for today he played one good pass that I remember then as I've said left a gaping hole (along with the rest of the midfield) for their 2nd.

Sober up.

They broke 3 or 4 times in the 2nd half when he wasn't on.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Sober up.

They broke 3 or 4 times in the 2nd half when he wasn't on.

Not as "memorable" due to them not scoring from said breaks.

3pm
30-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Not as "memorable" due to them not scoring from said breaks.

So is Thomson getting the blame for the 2nd goal? Is that what you are saying?

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:39 PM
So is Thomson getting the blame for the 2nd goal? Is that what you are saying?

No. Not now nor in my previous posts.

It's hard to get folk to listen though when they've made up their mind that getting KT in the team solves everything. Despite the fact that our best period of the season he wasn't in the team.

He played one good pass I recall today but we've to remember that and forget the mistake(s) he made, is that what you're saying?

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-03-2014, 08:44 PM

I'm certainly not Thomson's biggest fan and I was glad he wasn't involved today after watching the debacle at Perth. However he did vastly improve our midfield this afternoon.

I have no idea what our best team is but we need points. He needs to make his mind up and stick by it, same with the tactics. He started with 4.4.2 when he came in, tried his 4.2.3.1 and I've no idea what he's playing now.

He quickly needs to get his best players on the park.

My opinion would be Williams, Black, Forster, McGivern (CH), Stevenson, Watmore, Jones, Thomson, Stanton, Craig, Heffernan. 4,5,1 in defence, 4,2,3,1 in attack.

Get Robertson back as soon as possible and put him in for Jones. Cairney can replace Watmore, Cummings can replace Heffernan and Harris can replace Craig. The remaining imposters can stay on the bench.

3pm
30-03-2014, 08:45 PM

It's hard to get folk to listen though when they've made up their mind that getting KT in the team solves everything. Despite the fact that our best period of the season he wasn't in the team.

He played one good pass I recall today but we've to remember that and forget the mistake(s) he made, is that what you're saying?

I don't think getting Thomson solves everything at all. However, in my opinion, he brings more to the table than others.

I can't recall his mistakes today but I am sure you can.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't think getting Thomson solves everything at all. However, in my opinion, he brings more to the table than others.

I can't recall his mistakes today but I am sure you can.

Well I've been talking about it on this thread so I'd hope you can recall it!

And I agree he brings more than Taiwo to the table.

hibbill2002
31-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Posts like this are made by folk not intelligent enough to have a debate.

Especially with a master debater as yourself.:not worth

BSEJVT
31-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Right now he it utterly clueless as to what his best team is and how to get a result.

He's like a drunk man in a Casino, just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

Danderhall Hibs
31-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Especially with a master debater as yourself.:not worth

Are you trying to prove me right?

Unseen work
31-03-2014, 05:13 PM
People saying he has no clue what his best team is

Who does know the best hibs team right now? Their all terrible

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-04-2014, 09:55 PM
"Kevin Thomson, we want him to stay" should be belted out at the next few games:greengrin

greenlex
20-04-2014, 09:59 PM

I can't recall his mistakes today but I am sure you can.First goal the midfield scorer goes past him with him ball watching and not tracking back. 13 seconds in and sleeping.

Steve-O
20-04-2014, 10:03 PM
He does bugger all. To be honest I never thought he was particularly great first time round either. Overrated in a big way IMO just because he can do the basics and pass the ball 10 yards. Offers little else.

sleeping giant
20-04-2014, 10:36 PM
I personally though he was ok on Saturday.
We could do with 11 ok players just now.

I'm certainly not his biggest fan but I would drop a number of others before KT.

Bronson
20-04-2014, 11:08 PM
He does bugger all. To be honest I never thought he was particularly great first time round either. Overrated in a big way IMO just because he can do the basics and pass the ball 10 yards. Offers little else.

Absolute nonsense, just blatantly not true.

Callum_62
20-04-2014, 11:10 PM
I personally though he was ok on Saturday.
We could do with 11 ok players just now.

I'm certainly not his biggest fan but I would drop a number of others before KT.

:agree: Im not his biggest fan either - and he got caught cold with the 1st goal....along with Forster and Nelson btw

However, for the last 60 mins, he was nigh on the only one taking genuine responsibility and demanding the ball

Id defo have him in for the Derby.

I didn't think OTJ was as bad as made out either and id be tempted to drop Haynes from midfield and bring in Watmore for the weekend

Watmore OTJ Thomson Harris

Stanton

Cummings

Either that, or drop OTJ and go with 2 up....either way, have a go at the Jambos.

I think having OTJ in there makes sense though, as will be a bit of a battle....but we need to have pace alongside

boab1875
20-04-2014, 11:14 PM
should be startin every game. incredible that he doesn't

Jim44
20-04-2014, 11:24 PM
First goal the midfield scorer goes past him with him ball watching and not tracking back. 13 seconds in and sleeping.

Absolutely dreadful, but I had to laugh at some hack's comment that we did well to hang on for 13 seconds. Fair play, we've brought it all on to ourselves and it's open season for having a cheap go at Hibs. :rolleyes:

mon the cabbage
21-04-2014, 01:06 AM

I know, you wouldn't see Taiwo do that. Thomson is one of our best players and he is having to sit on the bench each week watching the dangerous, direct Taiwo. Its good to know when there is a chance of a defence splitting through ball that with Taiwo on the park he will try it and not turn back and play it to Nelsen for an aimless hoof up to the quality target man that is James Collins.

My team for the derby would be-

------------------------------Williams------------------------------

--Maybury-------Forster-------------McGivern---------Stevenson

Watmore--------Thomson-----------Stanton--------------Cairney

-----------------------------Zoubir----------------------------------

--------------------------Cummings--------------------------------

GreenLake
21-04-2014, 01:28 AM

He looks like he needs more game time and his range is a bit off but I would pick him before Craig, Taiwo and TJ. Ultimately, we need better players than him to play with Stanton and Robertson and his like should be on the bench next season.

DH1875
21-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure he's already signed a pre contract else where. Would still have him in the team though.

SMAXXA
21-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Pretty sure he's already signed a pre contract else where. Would still have him in the team though.

Hes not

andrew70
21-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Don't think so. I think he'll be at Hibs next season.

DH1875
21-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Hes not

Don't think so. I think he'll be at Hibs next season.

Are we sure? I have heard different but really not from a great source at all.

Billy Whizz
21-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Hes not

I'll take your word on this SMAXXA

Billychaotic182
21-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Hes not

You sure as all the Dundee utd fans I know say it's a done deal

mon the cabbage
21-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Our best spell was without Taiwo and with Cairney. When Butcher got the job he dropped Taiwo from his first game in charge picking up 13 points in 10 games and since the reintroduction of Taiwo we picked up 6 points in 8 games also when Cairney was dropped. If you ask me the our best spell wasn't because Thomson wasn't in the team. Thomson never played in the 8 games we picked up 6 points either so I don't feel that is a great point. Heffernan never played in our best spell but it doesn't mean he is worse than Collins does it?

eastmainsmsh
21-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Williams

Otd nelson mcgivern

Watmore cairney thomson craig stevenson

harris Collins

SMAXXA
21-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Are we sure? I have heard different but really not from a great source at all.

Im sure

J-C
21-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Williams

Otd nelson mcgivern

Watmore cairney thomson craig stevenson

harris Collins

Don't know why you've posted this but in all honesty that is the worst team I've seen for a long time, deffo one to get us relegated, still don't know what it has to do with this thread though????

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Don't know why you've posted this but in all honesty that is the worst team I've seen for a long time, deffo one to get us relegated, still don't know what it has to do with this thread though????

Harris up front and 3 at the back with the slowest defenders in the league :boo hoo:

Iceman1875
21-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Don't care what anyone says Kevin Thomson should be our club captain. If the players care half as much as he does we wouldn't be in this position.

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

PatHead
21-04-2014, 10:03 PM

Not true

007 Mickey Weir
21-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Cairney is a poor player but he does set up a lot of goals.

Maybe a midfield of

Watmore Taiwo Thomson Cairney
Stanton

(Swap Robertson for Taiwo if fit)

kaimendhibs
21-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Never read the she thread but can say this. Was at Paisley and thommo never hid, looked for the ball all the time, dropped deep, went forward, passed well. Best player by a mile and had bottle most of team mates didnt

Sent from my iphone

Billychaotic182
21-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Not true

Good. Hate to see Kev leave again

keep the faith
21-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Im sure

Any chance he could stay under this current regime?

SMAXXA
21-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Any chance he could stay under this current regime?

If I was a betting man I'd say no it's unlikely