PDA

View Full Version : Rod Petrie and Terry Butcher - Trust has to be earned

One Day Soon
30-03-2014, 02:20 PM
As it says in the title. I will not be buying a season ticket unless the club some way, some how manages to convey that things are going to change.

Talk is cheap and after having been fed a diet of utter mediocrity or even worse for years now we have more than reached the point where there is a crisis of confidence in the club. If Terry and Rod want our trust then they have to earn it.

I know the squad isn't strong enough, that Terry needs to make big changes and that it cannot be done overnight. However there is no way that the squad and players we do have should be performing as poorly as they are - individually and collectively.

So my position is this. Start playing the kind of attacking football we expect, sign the kind of players we need or find a way to persuade us that you have a coherent plan. Otherwise you can resign yourselves to catastrophic indifference from supporters - you will recognise it easily enough because it will look a lot like what we have come to expect on the pitch.

Incidentally the biggest problem I think we have at the club isn't a footballing one, its a mentality one. We clearly lack self belief, pride, hunger, strength, ambition and identity. You can't fix that with a marketing campaign. It doesn't originate with the fans, it lives or dies in the dressing room and the board room.

I wish those in charge at the club were able to demonstrate the passion and commitment of Leigh Griffiths. There are far too many people picking up wages at Easter Road for whom Hibernian FC is just the name on the direct debit they see in their bank accounts rather than something they live and breathe.

I don't care about not relegating Hearts today. I care a lot more about failing to turn up yet again in a derby. Losing a cup final 5 -1 to a Hearts side stuffed with players we now know they couldn't afford was a lot less humiliating than losing three times this season to the worst team they have had in decades. We finally get a level playing field and discover that the problem isn't them, its us.

Players carry a lot of responsibility but ultimately it is down to the Managers to get the best out of them. Otherwise we wouldn't employ a manager. So it is the managers - and the people who appoint them - that we must look to and ask the question: "What is your track record and why should we trust you with our club?"

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Terry's 'Green n White Army' should be replaced with 'Green n White Deserters' - and rightly so.

I'm not going back next season. I made the difficult decision midway this season. Until Rod goes or stands aside, no more money from me I'm afraid. Which makes me very sad indeed.

sven nil
30-03-2014, 02:33 PM
As it says in the title. I will not be buying a season ticket unless the club some way, some how manages to convey that things are going to change.

Talk is cheap and after having been fed a diet of utter mediocrity or even worse for years now we have more than reached the point where there is a crisis of confidence in the club. If Terry and Rod want our trust then they have to earn it.

I know the squad isn't strong enough, that Terry needs to make big changes and that it cannot be done overnight. However there is no way that the squad and players we do have should be performing as poorly as they are - individually and collectively.

So my position is this. Start playing the kind of attacking football we expect, sign the kind of players we need or find a way to persuade us that you have a coherent plan. Otherwise you can resign yourselves to catastrophic indifference from supporters - you will recognise it easily enough because it will look a lot like what we have come to expect on the pitch.

Incidentally the biggest problem I think we have at the club isn't a footballing one, its a mentality one. We clearly lack self belief, pride, hunger, strength, ambition and identity. You can't fix that with a marketing campaign. It doesn't originate with the fans, it lives or dies in the dressing room and the board room.

I wish those in charge at the club were able to demonstrate the passion and commitment of Leigh Griffiths. There are far too many people picking up wages at Easter Road for whom Hibernian FC is just the name on the direct debit they see in their bank accounts rather than something they live and breathe.

I don't care about not relegating Hearts today. I care a lot more about failing to turn up yet again in a derby. Losing a cup final 5 -1 to a Hearts side stuffed with players we now know they couldn't afford was a lot less humiliating than losing three times this season to the worst team they have had in decades. We finally get a level playing field and discover that the problem isn't them, its us.

Players carry a lot of responsibility but ultimately it is down to the Managers to get the best out of them. Otherwise we wouldn't employ a manager. So it is the managers - and the people who appoint them - that we must look to and ask the question: "What is your track record and why should we trust you with our club?" Its petries penny pinching that's causing this mess,hes just been outed on sportsound. .

Thecat23
30-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Its petries penny pinching that's causing this mess,hes just been outed on sportsound. .

Correct!

He is stopping us going forward as a club. Please someone tell me what his purpose at Hibs is? If it's to balance the books whoooopy ****ing do. How's that working out? How's the five year plan working out? How's next seasons season tickets going.

Petrie you are failing us along with the management and team. I for one want him as far away from Hibs as possible.

HibbyDave
30-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Maybe we build up our hopes too much pre match (relegation party etc etc)?

Sad to say I gave up going to matches over two years ago after 40 years as a regular!. I'm spoiled now by watching quality European/English football on TV regularly so probably not best placed to comment.

I don't see myself ever going back to being a regular et ER. I watch Hibs if they are on tele but the standard of Scottish Football is really shocking.

Another thought.................Is the club now looking towards a scene where "if we go down" we won't be any worse off on the balance sheet because we will have two home derbies and the huns to play? Really, we wouldn't lose a fortune in revenue and that will console the board no doubt.
If there is to be a clearout then maybe Tel can openly state who will be staying/going and take our chances with youths in the team for the run-in?

southsider
30-03-2014, 02:38 PM
I. must admit i did think Butcher was the right choice to take us forward but i not think we should just cut our losses and get shot. Collins is a nightmare and playing him should be a sacking offence. We have now lost to them 3 times this season (not all under Butcher) and the football has been dreadful. The club is rank from top to bottom and needs chance but i know longer think is the man to do so. Drastic change is needed to get the fans back onside. Having watched a lot of the lower league teams in the copa del rea, there are some really skillfull players crying out for a chance there so what about Steve Archibald as D O F and a Spanish coach ?

Greenblood70
30-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Its petries penny pinching that's causing this mess,hes just been outed on sportsound. .

What was said, I didn't hear it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I. must admit i did think Butcher was the right choice to take us forward but i not think we should just cut our losses and get shot. Collins is a nightmare and playing him should be a sacking offence. We have now lost to them 3 times this season (not all under Butcher) and the football has been dreadful. The club is rank from top to bottom and needs chance but i know longer think is the man to do so. Drastic change is needed to get the fans back onside. Having watched a lot of the lower league teams in the copa del rea, there are some really skillfull players crying out for a chance there so what about Steve Archibald as D O F and a Spanish coach ?

i would say it was a sacking offence for the manager that signed him(which he did get...sacked)in the first place, lord knows how the heck that one came around,...and got him a 3 year contract, yep...two more years for him to turn it around(pfftt)

One Day Soon
30-03-2014, 02:49 PM
If Butcher knows what he's doing and if we don't get relegated and if he is being given cash to spend in the summer then he may be doing the right thing now in a) not having spent fast in January when the better players aren't available b) waiting for the summer when he can bring both bring in better individual players and adjust those signings relative to the broader squad as individual targets are brought in or missed.

None of this explains the failure to get more out of the players we already have. None of it addresses the core problem of the club which is about its spirit and direction. Mr Petrie needs to go leadership shopping somewhere in the summer while Terry is buying players. At the moment we are nice buildings without purpose. Its a bit like buying a Bentley but not being able to drive.

bobbyhibs1983
30-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Players carry a lot of responsibility but ultimately it is down to the Managers to get the best out of them. Otherwise we wouldn't employ a manager. So it is the managers - and the people who appoint them - that we must look to and ask the question: "What is your track record and why should we trust you with our club?"

:top marks for your post sir

In regard your post about the problems we as a club have, and mentallity that is spot on.I like you think we need a load of new players but it coems down to mentality as well.i ll take an average football player with the dirve, the hunger, the will to will, that drive ove a world class player will little drive and little determanation any day of the week and twice on sunday!

I know alot of our players might not be the best footballers, but there is a sorta lack of deternation amonst our players, a lack of okay we are one down, lets get back to 1-1 and drive on,

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Petri is an erse, butcher needs time, but if he starts next season with football like this and team selections that baffle the he'll out of me, then folk will not stand for it very long.

Ronniekirk
30-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Terry's 'Green n White Army' should be replaced with 'Green n White Deserters' - and rightly so.

I'm not going back next season. I made the difficult decision midway this season. Until Rod goes or stands aside, no more money from me I'm afraid. Which makes me very sad indeed.
That performance makes me sad but if we all desert or go AWOL where is the money for new recruits coming from TB has made mistakes of that there is no doubt but he has shown he can spot a player with the right attributes and mental toughness ,but if we deny him the working capital to bring these players in then we are being shortsighted .
We have to give him the summer transfer window .

You also might need to change your Name from True Hibernian to Lapsed Hibernian :wink:

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 03:04 PM
I've said it on countless Petrie threads before. But Petrie is a highly skilled accountant and salesman. That's it. That's all he does. He balances the books and is able to successfully sell a very poor product just by talking the talk.

That's ok if you're running a standard business. But a football club is a whole different matter. There's far too much emotional involvement to treat it like its just another business.

Gerard
30-03-2014, 03:04 PM
I think that the issue with Hibs and the lack of success is also an issue with Scottish football. Scottish football with a few periods has been the private property of the 'Old Firm'. That does not justify Hibs in this period of poor results. It has been said that Rod Petrie is holding the club back by his financial management of the club. I can see the validity in this accusation. The defence to that accusation is perhaps he can only work with the funds that he has available to him.
Rod Petrie has been at Hibs a long time and perhaps he needs a fresh challenge? He will still have an interest in Hibs due to the shares that he owns.
Perhaps Hibs needs to look at employing a full time CEO. This person would be coming into Hibs and perhaps that will be to the benefit of Hibs. We are lucky to have Sir TF who owns our club and is a very successful entrepreneur. If only Hibs could be as successful a football team as he is in business; Hibs would have won a lot more silverware and played a lot more exciting football.
I hope that RP will get the promotion in Scottish football that he has worked so hard for.:wink:

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:06 PM
I've said it on countless Petrie threads before. But Petrie is a highly skilled accountant and salesman. That's it. That's all he does. He balances the books and is able to successfully sell a very poor product just by talking the talk.

That's ok if you're running a standard business. But a football club is a whole different matter. There's far too much emotional involvement to treat it like its just another business.

So buy the club and take over then. Show us how it should be done.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 03:07 PM

I'm not a highly skilled accountant or salesmen i'm afraid. Otherwise i'd put foward the cash to do so. :wink:

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 03:08 PM
That performance makes me sad but if we all desert or go AWOL where is the money for new recruits coming from TB has made mistakes of that there is no doubt but he has shown he can spot a player with the right attributes and mental toughness ,but if we deny him the working capital to bring these players in then we are being shortsighted .
We have to give him the summer transfer window .

You also might need to change your Name from True Hibernian to Lapsed Hibernian :wink:

Mate, I'm afraid I've poured money and love and emotion into Hibernian Football Club, a team who I support not for glory but because it's been in my family blood for generations. But I'm out until he goes - yes, perhaps I should change the username, that much is true.

The fans and supporters have kept the club afloat not only in money but in their passion for the club - but that 'bank' is now drained. It's really time for Sir Tom to step up - we've been let down enough and they remain totally unconcerned and unscathed.

I've simply seen enough and nowadays sadly have the Wee Gordon mentality after games of football.....I'm now more concerned about eating a cheesecake that's use by date is today than I am about the defeat today. I move on quick from defeats this last few years. But what I won't do is back a lame horse anymore. This horse needs a new owner, trainer and jockey - or put down.

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm not a highly skilled accountant or salesmen i'm afraid. Otherwise i'd put foward the cash to do so. :wink:

So you are waiting on some one else to buy it? Then you can continue to tell them where they are going wrong?

IWasThere2016
30-03-2014, 03:12 PM
So you are waiting on some one else to buy it? Then you can continue to tell them where they are going wrong?

Thanks Rod. Can you tell me what your vision for Hibs is? Any chance of sharing the 5-year plan anytime soon?

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks Rod. Can you tell me what your vision for Hibs is? Any chance of sharing the 5-year plan anytime soon?

:wink:

number 27
30-03-2014, 03:18 PM

That response was infantile the first hundred times you used it,it really is not improving with age.

Www1875hfc
30-03-2014, 03:18 PM

C'mon Petrie has ran his course. He needs to step down. we are going nowhere as a football club.

This club is rotten to the core,and its time for change.
We the fans can only take so much FFS how many more kicks in the teeth before we get a reaction?

Joe6-2
30-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Mate, I'm afraid I've poured money and love and emotion into Hibernian Football Club, a team who I support not for glory but because it's been in my family blood for generations. But I'm out until he goes - yes, perhaps I should change the username, that much is true.

The fans and supporters have kept the club afloat not only in money but in their passion for the club - but that 'bank' is now drained. It's really time for Sir Tom to step up - we've been let down enough and they remain totally unconcerned and unscathed.

I've simply seen enough and nowadays sadly have the Wee Gordon mentality after games of football.....I'm now more concerned about eating a cheesecake that's use by date is today than I am about the defeat today. I move on quick from defeats this last few years. But wohat I won't do is back a lame horse anymore. This horse needs a new owner, trainer and jockey - or put down.

Agree, fans can only take so much, but we are continually being let down, season after season, how much can we take before you say, enough is enough.
Don't know how much more my ticker can take!!!

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 03:23 PM

If somebody else comes in and does the job properly, I won't have have anything to whinge about. :agree:

But if they don't..... :greengrin

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:24 PM
That response was infantile the first hundred times you used it,it really is not improving with age.

C'mon Petrie has ran his course. He needs to step down. we are going nowhere as a football club.

This club is rotten to the core,and its time for change.
We the fans can only take so much FFS how many more kicks in the teeth before we get a reaction?

What do you think is going to happen? Farmer owns the club and Farmer puts his man in charge to look after his interests. What is infantile is thinking that Farmer will remove Petrie, or even wants to, and allow his successor to spend untold amounts on players. He has tried that already and it failed miserably.

The only way to change that would be to buy him out and put your own man in charge.

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:27 PM
If somebody else comes in and does the job properly, I won't have have anything to whinge about. :agree:

But if they don't..... :greengrin

You'll find something I'm sure.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 03:27 PM
What do you think is going to happen? Farmer owns the club and Farmer puts his man in charge to look after his interests. What is infantile is thinking that Farmer will remove Petrie, or even wants to, and allow his successor to spend untold amounts on players. He has tried that already and it failed miserably.

The only way to change that would be to buy him out and put your own man in charge.

If fans stop going and there's a massive dip in cashflow, Farmer will get rid of Petrie.

The only thing keeping Petrie in a job at the moment is the attendance figures. If they drop below a certain point, Farmer will be forced to make changes.

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:30 PM
If fans stop going and there's a massive dip in cashflow, Farmer will get rid of Petrie.

The only thing keeping Petrie in a job at the moment is the attendance figures. If they drop below a certain point, Farmer will be forced to make changes.

Farmer has never been forced to do anything in his life. Remember the AGM in the mid 90's? 94-95 ish?

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Farmer has never been forced to do anything in his life. Remember the AGM in the mid 90's? 94-95 ish?

Nope, I was only 4-5 ish at the time. :wink:

Farmers a man of business. If he has any doubt in his mind that he'll never be able to claim back the money that he puts in, he'll either make changes or he'll move us on.

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Not true mate, STF thinks RP is the safest pair of hands at the club sadly. And Rod owns a percentage too. They will sadly be around a good while, the fans however won't.

His thoughts back in 2011 are the same now.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059207/Rod-Petrie-best-chairman-Hibernian-claims-Sir-Rod-Farmer.html

Davy Mac
30-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Falcon, I like reading a number of your posts but in my opinion it's not just about money - there is no leadership within the footballing side of the business, oh yes the marketing machine is on full flow to capture fans money etc but RP is about as approachable and warm as the current Easterly wind we have. No direction and no plan.

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Falcon, I like reading a number of your posts but in my opinion it's not just about money - there is no leadership within the footballing side of the business, oh yes the marketing machine is on full flow to capture fans money etc but RP is about as approachable and warm as the current Easterly wind we have. No direction and no plan.

We made a great effort to get Butcher and his team in so lets give them time. We have changed manager so often now we always end up back at the same place so lets try something different and ride this one out.

The Falcon
30-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Nope, I was only 4-5 ish at the time. :wink:

Farmers a man of business. If he has any doubt in his mind that he'll never be able to claim back the money that he puts in, he'll either make changes or he'll move us on.

He passed that point some years ago my friend.

Hibercelona
30-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Not true mate, STF thinks RP is the safest pair of hands at the club sadly. And Rod owns a percentage too. They will sadly be around a good while, the fans however won't.

His thoughts back in 2011 are the same now.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059207/Rod-Petrie-best-chairman-Hibernian-claims-Sir-Rod-Farmer.html

His confidence in RP is based on figures. As long as the figures can be balanced out, RP has his job security.

But RP has relied on 2 SC finals lately to help boost ST sales to a reasonable level. He doesn't have that to help boost sales this time and it will show in the accounts next season.

Calum68
30-03-2014, 04:00 PM
To all the posters who say I'm not going to renew my ST or go along to support Hibs until they spend money I have one question. Where exactly do you think the money will come from? Surely we need to support TB and give him the chance to bring in his own players. We know what happens when clubs live out with their means and debt is clearly not the answer.

I agree it's painful to watch but I say we give him our support, and some cash through ST's and PATG punters and put some trust in TB that he will turn it around.

mcfly
30-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Mr petries penny pinching over the years has now caught up with us.

As a journalist said those players (if we can call them that) are squatters in a mansion and are not fit for purpose.

We are a team in free fall heading for relegation and I can't see us winning again this season.

Ship out the losers terry. Only play who you intend to keep and play the u20"s

Also no season ticket for me until I know what league we are in.

truehibernian
30-03-2014, 04:18 PM
To all the posters who say I'm not going to renew my ST or go along to support Hibs until they spend money I have one question. Where exactly do you think the money will come from? Surely we need to support TB and give him the chance to bring in his own players. We know what happens when clubs live out with their means and debt is clearly not the answer.

I agree it's painful to watch but I say we give him our support, and some cash through ST's and PATG punters and put some trust in TB that he will turn it around.

Sir Tom Farmer - simple as that. He owns Hibernian Football Club - Hibernian Football Club are failing. Hibernian Football Club do not offer value for money. Hibernian Football Club have demotivated supporters who are turning their back on attending games. Hence investment and a positive football strategy is needed urgently in summer. Three marquee signings followed by 5 other signings, well before the deadline day, and hitting pre-season running.

He has the money. If he wants out, come out and be absolutely clear, straightforward and face the supporters concerns. Do an interview for Hibs TV outlining his thoughts and strategy - lead for a change. The club is dying on it's feet Calum.

Houchy
30-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Another thought.................Is the club now looking towards a scene where "if we go down" we won't be any worse off on the balance sheet because we will have two home derbies and the huns to play? Really, we wouldn't lose a fortune in revenue and that will console the board no doubt.
If there is to be a clearout then maybe Tel can openly state who will be staying/going and take our chances with youths in the team for the run-in?

I called that some time ago, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this is all part of Petries master plan, relegation then play the u20's next season. I may be being overly cinical but it sure would explain why we've been so bad the last 3 months or more.

147lothian
30-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Sir Tom Farmer - simple as that. He owns Hibernian Football Club - Hibernian Football Club are failing. Hibernian Football Club do not offer value for money. Hibernian Football Club have demotivated supporters who are turning their back on attending games. Hence investment and a positive football strategy is needed urgently in summer. Three marquee signings followed by 5 other signings, well before the deadline day, and hitting pre-season running.

He has the money. If he wants out, come out and be absolutely clear, straightforward and face the supporters concerns. Do an interview for Hibs TV outlining his thoughts and strategy - lead for a change. The club is dying on it's feet Calum.

I renewed my season ticket, but I don't have any faith in the way the football side of the club are being run with Farmer & Petrie

Keith_M
30-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Drats, I was going to post that!

Maybe someone should create a banner with those very words on it for the next home game.

fife hfc
30-03-2014, 06:20 PM

It's easy to say back the team but it costs me £400 for season tickets and sorry I'm not willing to part to what is a large amount for me to watch such a sub standard product. Football is very expensive and all I want is to be entertained something that has not happened very often at easter road for a good few season. I do not mean winning every week but a team giving it a go and trying to score goals ( I actually enjoyed the motherwell game a few weeks ago even if we lost a last minute goal). I am not renewing my ticket or my sons, to his dismay and will pick and choose games next year as I have not enjoyed going to the football for a long time now.