PDA

View Full Version : NHC Neil Lemon

theonlywayisup
28-03-2014, 09:25 PM
I personally think he could be a great football manager, but he needs to leave Celtic.

Discuss. Leave aside the fact that he can be a detestable person at times.

HappyAsHellas
28-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Doubt it very much. He's lucky there's no real opposition here just now. Would have to prove himself somewhere else for me. (think I could manage sellik to the title these days)

Saorsa
28-03-2014, 09:31 PM
I personally think he could be a great football manager, but he needs to leave Celtic.

Discuss. Leave aside the fact that he can be a detestable person at times.Based on what? The fact that he can win a one horse race with a team with 10 times the spending power of their rivals?

That I can agree with but it's the only bit so why leave it aside?

Jim44
28-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Based on what? The fact that he can win a one horse race with a team with 10 times the spending power of their rivals?

Exactly. I can't understand all the media love-in of the past few days. I think Lennon would be a less than mediocre manager in a competitive , high standard league.

Tinribs
28-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Exactly. I can't understand all the media love-in of the past few days. I think Lennon would be a less than mediocre manager in a competitive , high standard league.

The media love stuff is pish boiling aye, but i suspect his personality will hold him in good stead for scaring players into doing what he wants...not ideal, but like wee Strachan, it may work for him at the mid to lower end of the English Prem. As annoying as he is, he talks fairly well and gives ok interviews.

Sir David Gray
28-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Joe Bloggs could manage Celtic to the Scottish league title.

Saorsa
28-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Exactly. I can't understand all the media love-in of the past few days. I think Lennon would be a less than mediocre manager in a competitive , high standard league.He wouldnae win this league if he was managing St.Mirren, whoever was managing smellsick would still win it.

iwasthere1972
28-03-2014, 09:54 PM

He's going to leave Celtic at some point but can't see any of the top English clubs queuing for his services. We all know what most of them think about our top league and as a previous poster has already said it's not difficult to win leagues and trophies when you have their spending power. He's had an easy ride in the Scottish Premiership with no Rangers and their dominance will be continue for a few years to come.

English Championship is about his level. Can only see Premiership teams like Norwich, WBA, Fulham and Sunderland wanting him.

Proved nothing yet as far as being a good manager. Time will tell.

FRes Hibbie
28-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Despite being in charge of the side with ten times the resources of everyone else Aberdeen might end up with more trophies than them this season. Not all that impressive really.

He might make a great manager, he might not. Just like everyone else that's untested.

28-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Tbh it really doesn't take a particularly great manger to win the league with celtic atm, they are absolutely streets ahead of everybody else.

Jones28
28-03-2014, 11:20 PM
With the budget of every other SPL team combined and then some anyone could manage Celtic to the title.

EdinMike
28-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Not. A. Chance.

Anyone could manage Sellick to a league title, by the by. He put out a team that got knocked out the league and Scottish cup..

For them that's a failure !

edinburghhibee
29-03-2014, 01:24 AM
As much as everyone and there dug hates Lennon in person he's a nice guy and very funny.... Not that that matters much

Dashing Bob S
29-03-2014, 02:35 AM
As much as everyone and there dug hates Lennon in person he's a nice guy and very funny.... Not that that matters much

Agreed. He's a very decent and fun chap away from football.

Trouble is he's not a great manager. As has been stated the resources at their disposal would mean that Gary Locke with a tab of LSD dropped into his cuppa every day at 2.30 would be hard pressed to blow the title for Celtic.

His myriad of cup failures amount to far more than simply dozing off at the wheel once in a while. In one-off games his big money teams have been dispatched by journeymen once too often. He's had a few punch-above-your-weight successes in Europe, but they now seem to have sussed him out there.

Low level premiership or championship is the highest he can expect.

.Sean.
29-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Pish. I could've managed Celtic to the league this year, and I'd have bought better players. The amount of money he has *****ed on absolute ***** is unreal.

Weststandwanab
29-03-2014, 06:36 AM

Discuss. Leave aside the fact that he can be a detestable person at times. You will only see how average he is if he dares to manage in a competitive league.

Personally I think he will fail as he is to much of a hothead to be a manager.

J-C
29-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Winning the title with Celtic is a dawdle, anyone can do it but his cup record with them is deplorable, this for me questions his managerial ability.

bigwheel
29-03-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm going to go with the OP on this one...I'm not saying he will be the next Fergie...but I think he is trying into an impressive manager. Ofcourse, he can win the league at a canter, but in addition to that he has done pretty well in Europe. The biggest pint for me though, is that he improves players. They come to Celtic and they get better. A sign of a good manager and great coaching team. I also feel he is one of the few managers that sticks up for scottish football in the media. So against popular opinion - as a manager, I'm a fan.

macca70
29-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Anyone would win the league with Celtic.

He should be judged on his season, which is not good.

- Worse Champs league record than last season
- Knocked out League Cup
- Knocked out Scottish Cup

I wouldn't say that's not a good season by Celtics standards.

Rangers and Celtic were always certainties for the Leagues at start of the season. Rangers will probably end up with Ramsdens Cup and further than Celtic in League Cup still with a chance of winning it.

That would be great wind up for for Celtic fans - Rangers have had a more successful season.

bigwheel
29-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Anyone would win the league with Celtic.

He should be judged on his season, which is not good.

- Worse Champs league record than last season
- Knocked out League Cup
- Knocked out Scottish Cup

I wouldn't say that's not a good season by Celtics standards.

Rangers and Celtic were always certainties for the Leagues at start of the season. Rangers will probably end up with Ramsdens Cup and further than Celtic in League Cup still with a chance of winning it.

That would be great wind up for for Celtic fans - Rangers have had a more successful season.

Not quite the full story though...in the League this year...1 defeat against 7 in whole of last season...only 15 goals conceded and goal difference already of 64, compared to 57 last season. Also, the champs league record last season was exceptional, and a credit to Lennon.

Anyway, I realise he isn't a popular character - a decent manager though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-03-2014, 08:40 AM
It's not that I don't like Lennon it is more that I don't like Celtc and right now you can't really separate the two.

jdships
29-03-2014, 08:55 AM
He would have to be "tried" in a truly competitive league before I would pass judgement
Also his temperment would play a big factor in situations where things weren't going well
If I was pushed to answer I would say bottom half Championship/First Division , in England

:rolleyes:

Michael
29-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Neil Lennon has easiest, most secure job in Britain. I bet the pay's not too bad either.

chinaman
29-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Be about as useful as "squeeky clean" walt was at the toffees. After being a flop he can always come back up here and get his arse licked by unwashed hordes and the cowardly media