PDA

View Full Version : Best Save You've Seen From a Hibs Goalkeeper

R'Albin
28-03-2014, 05:50 PM
I saw this cracker of a save from Williams recently (2:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYSCYdJgEE ) and it got me wondering, what would Hibs.net say is the best ever save from a Hibs goalkeeper?

Mibbes Aye
28-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Hibs v Rangers 1996.

The Rangers side of the early to mid-90s was probably up there as one of the strongest in the history of the league and gave us a few cuffings. We went behind to a Jorg Albertz piledriver (by law all his shots were described thus) but then incredibly took the lead, first through a penalty that unimaginably was won by Jacksona diving outside the box and then goal machine Graeme Donald appearing from nowhere to slot in a second.

With minutes to go Rangers broke with Laudrup heading for the box. Geebsie practically mounted him and Laudrup kept going for about ten yards before falling on the edge of the box.

Cue chaos and bedlam and Geebsie getting booked. Ref goes over to speak to the linesman and gives the penalty. Cue delirium in the away end and despair in our stands. Laudrup steps up, smashes it off the bar and the follow-up goes nowhere.

Cue delirium for the Hibs fans and despair in the away end. Then the referee decides it's to be retaken! Cue delirium in the away end and despair for us, surely Laudrup won't spurn a second chance.......

Laudrup steps up and hits it and Leighton gets down and palms it away!!!!! Cue delirium etc etc :greengrin

I've seen us score many goals from the East Terracing but there's maybe only a couple I can remember that we celebrated more than that save :flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I was in the pub with Robin Rae and he managed to catch two pints without spilling a drop!

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I was in the pub with Robin Rae and he managed to catch two pints without spilling a drop!

Either that or Jason Gardner making a world class touch round the post save in the playground at Drummond School, I'm sure he never even made a hole in his school trousers.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I might even have to chuck Budgies double save at either end of his goal against the huns in the keith, keith, keith semi, not the best, but, hugely significant.

Speedway
28-03-2014, 07:16 PM
McNeill versus Falkirk drew a gasp from both sets of fans.

GoldenEagle
28-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Easy for me, in the flesh Andy Goram at Liege, I can still see it clear as day and to this day no idea how he done it.

And the one that I didn't see from the same keeper was V Hearts (Scott Crabbe) when we got beat 3-1 (Torto scored), Jambo mates to this day cannot believe it.

Broken Gnome
28-03-2014, 07:20 PM
The only real ones that I would never have expected a Hibs keeper to save were Mark Brown at Aberdeen a few seasons ago from a close range volley, and number one was a Daniel Andersson save from Paul Hartley v Hearts at Easter Road. Think it was a 1-1 draw in 2003/04, tipped a free kick on to the post.

His penalty save that kept us in the shoot out against Rangers was up there too.

500miles
28-03-2014, 07:22 PM

Hands down this. He seemed to change direction in mid air and claw it out from behind him. Point blank header too.

Jonnyboy
28-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Hibs v Rangers 1996.

I've seen us score many goals from the East Terracing but there's maybe only a couple I can remember that we celebrated more than that save :flag:

Right. Get James Collins in the East for the Aberdeen game and we'll see if he can score from there :greengrin

Spot on. Stunning save

Mr White
28-03-2014, 07:27 PM
And the one that I didn't see from the same keeper was V Hearts (Scott Crabbe) when we got beat 3-1 (Torto scored), Jambo mates to this day cannot believe it.

I remember that game, if it wasn't for goram I hate to think what the score would have been. Even the hearts fans were singing his name.

Edit: that would have been one of gorams last games for us IIRC

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 07:28 PM
In all seriousness Andy Goram put up so many heroic performances at Tynie it was embarassing, unfortunately due to the ravages of time and bevvy they have pretty much merged into each other. I do remember the Hearts fans singing his name at one game, but, cannae mind which one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I remember that game, if it wasn't for goram I hate to think what the score would have been. Even the hearts fans were singing his name.

Thats an amazing coincidence SS!

Mr White
28-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Thats an amazing coincidence SS!

Spooky :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 07:43 PM
He also made an astonishing save in a Scotland shirt in a game at Ibrox v Sweden when John McGinlay scored. I'm sure he was still a Hibs man then.

Smartie
28-03-2014, 07:45 PM
I remember being totally underwhelmed when we signed Leighton. After a steady if unspectacular start he really came onto a game and there was one game in particular against Motherwell at home when he was phenomenal. There was a save from a free-kick up at the Dunbar End, iirc late in the game that is probably the most memorable save I remember a Hibs keeper making and it won us the points at a time when we were challenging at the right end of the table so it was significant.

Funny because I can remember plenty from opposition keepers.

Mr White
28-03-2014, 07:49 PM
He also made an astonishing save in a Scotland shirt in a game at Ibrox v Sweden when John McGinlay scored. I'm sure he was still a Hibs man then.

5 years a hun by then mate. You've been hitting the bevvy hard for a few decades eh?:greengrin

DH1875
28-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Hibs v Rangers 1996.

The Rangers side of the early to mid-90s was probably up there as one of the strongest in the history of the league and gave us a few cuffings. We went behind to a Jorg Albertz piledriver (by law all his shots were described thus) but then incredibly took the lead, first through a penalty that unimaginably was won by Jacksona diving outside the box and then goal machine Graeme Donald appearing from nowhere to slot in a second.

With minutes to go Rangers broke with Laudrup heading for the box. Geebsie practically mounted him and Laudrup kept going for about ten yards before falling on the edge of the box.

Cue chaos and bedlam and Geebsie getting booked. Ref goes over to speak to the linesman and gives the penalty. Cue delirium in the away end and despair in our stands. Laudrup steps up, smashes it off the bar and the follow-up goes nowhere.

Cue delirium for the Hibs fans and despair in the away end. Then the referee decides it's to be retaken! Cue delirium in the away end and despair for us, surely Laudrup won't spurn a second chance.......

Laudrup steps up and hits it and Leighton gets down and palms it away!!!!! Cue delirium etc etc :greengrin

Was in the Rangers end that day. Hardest thing I've had to do. Actually remember having to hold on to my seat with both hands to stop myself from going mental. Lesson learnt and will never go in the oppositions end ever again.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2014, 08:11 PM
5 years a hun by then mate. You've been hitting the bevvy hard for a few decades eh?:greengrin

2.5 anyway!

CropleyWasGod
28-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Whoever it was that saved a Tommy Burns penalty at ER, then saved the rebound. 1981 or 2.

Jeez... I want to say McArthur... was it?

See age?

Oh, and Simon Brown at Ibrox??

Paperboy
28-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Easy for me, in the flesh Andy Goram at Liege, I can still see it clear as day and to this day no idea how he done it.

I think I remember that one from the telly. Did Liege not score with an absolute screamer but before than Goram kept out another long range shot that Archie McPherson shouted "goal" at before Goram saved it?

slightly off topic but Goram is probably my favourite Hibs player in my time of supporting the club. he saved us so many times and often pulled off world class saves. I'm sure he only went for £1 million. If he was playing nowadays he'd be worth twenty times that.

heretoday
28-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Poor old goalies don't get much credit and one forgets the saves they made that probably kept Hibs in games or even in the league itself.

Over 50 years I reckon Goram and Leighton were the ones who put their lives on the line and flung themselves about the most.

As a kid I used to like watching Ronnie Simpson who never seemed to put a foot wrong. We were all into the Lev Yashin "black cat" thing regarding goalies in the early 60s.

DarrenSQH
28-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Anderson in the shoot out for me. Was convinced we were done for.

From any goalie it's Borucs from Wotherspoon I think. I was right behind it in FF stand and still can't believe he got that.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Ben Williams made some fantastic saves on his debut vs Dundee United last season.

craigmounthibby
28-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Simon Brown made a superb save in the first half of the 2006 Scottish Cup game we won 3-0 at Ibrox. Score was 0-0 at the time, he twisted to tip a 20 yarder on to the top of the bar.

Think it was a shot from that legend Bob Malcolm.

degenerated
28-03-2014, 09:28 PM

That's the best save I've ever seen, not just from a hibs keeper. Truly a piece of world class goalkeeping.

I remember being at a dunfermline hibs game and seeing a master class in goalkeeping with goram and andy Rhodes trying to outdo each other with save after save at either end of the pitch.

erin go bragh
28-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Simon Browns save at Ipox was a bit special but i can remember Goram saving one at Tannadice in front of the hibs end ( which is now the Utd end ) the ball was flying into the bottom right corner with Goram in flight to save it but it took a deflection which changed the flight of the ball to the left of the goal . How he managed to twist his body to save a certain goal ill never know . Im sure we beat them 2-1 ( late 80s)

Ggtth

Thecat23
28-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Goram made a cracking double save against St. Mirren that got us into Europe. We needed to win and was at the end of the game the first was unreal second just world class. Goram for me was the best.

Forza Fred
28-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Too many to mention from Ronnie Simpson back in the 60'sp

G-Reg
28-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Hibs v Rangers 1996.

Have to agree this was an absolutely mental couple of minutes.

delbert
28-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I might even have to chuck Budgies double save at either end of his goal against the huns in the keith, keith, keith semi, not the best, but, hugely significant.

I've mentioned this before but the save which kept us in the League Cup semi against Aberdeen at Dens Park in the early 80's from Mike McDonald was just outstanding. Cross from the left wing had 3 Aberdeen forwards converging on the ball, think McGhee bulleted the ball back with a header into far corner, McDonald took off and was completely horizontal when he tipped it past right hand post one handed, the power in the header and reflexes in the save were just outstanding, remember all 3 Aberdeen players just hitting the deck in total disbelief !

madabouthibs
28-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Goram's debut, Pars at Easter Road, he had nowt to do for most of the game, we were 3 or 4 up, then pulled off a stunning "for the telly" diving save from a long range effort from that big ginger lad with the mouser. (Watson maybe?)
I knew then we'd made a fine signing. :greengrin

Jones28
28-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Simon Brown made a superb save in the first half of the 2006 Scottish Cup game we won 3-0 at Ibrox. Score was 0-0 at the time, he twisted to tip a 20 yarder on to the top of the bar.

Yepp, I was right behind that and was convinced it was going in. Terrific save.

eggbamyasi
28-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Was at the hibs rangers game 1996 and leighton was superb penalty save retake was brilliant . For some reason I thought it was a cup replay at ibrox or mabey that happened there too , or I convinced my self all these years it was lol . Best bit of goal keeping I ever seen was when I was at valencia vs inter milan at mestalla 2001/2002 champions league quaterfinals . Was 2-2 on the night and the inter goalie toldo was getting battered , save after save . He made a triple save at one point from aimar and carew which I could not beleive, never seen better goal keeping since . Valencia went out on away goals . Very memorable match was so exciting but gutted when final whistle went . I paid equivalent of £25 to get into thst game , then came home following year and paid pretty much same to see hibs v partick . Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wotherspiniesta
29-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Not a save as such, but does anybody remember Makalambay in the 1-0 Casper victory at Tynie?

Hearts were piling on the pressure in the last few minutes and it got into injury time. Hearts got a throw in in line with the penalty box and just about every player was inside the box bar the huddy that hurled it in. I was watching the game on TV and as the jambo hurled it in towards the 18 yard box, I seen Makalambay stood almost at the edge of the box! he just grabbed it off some laddies heid and the game was won. I'd never seen anything like it. My first thought was "WTF is he doing that far oot!" And then I was like " That giant genius!"... I would take the big fella back in a heartbeat :greengrin Do Do Do Do!

Mon Dieu4
29-03-2014, 02:11 AM

It was Jim Leighton that pulled off the heroics for Scotland in that game, not Goram

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international_fixture_details.cfm?page=1921&matchID=57901

Pretty Boy
29-03-2014, 05:09 AM
It was Jim Leighton that pulled off the heroics for Scotland in that game, not Goram

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international_fixture_details.cfm?page=1921&matchID=57901

That was one of the best goalkeeeping performances I have ever seen.

It wasn't so much Scotland v Sweden more Leighton v Sweden.

lyonhibs
29-03-2014, 07:29 AM

That's the one for me. A fat waster for most of his time with us, but that was class.

Ronniekirk
29-03-2014, 08:45 AM
We haven't seen it yet but any save made on Sunday that results in a clean sheet will be a contender for me.

Deek01
29-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Not a save as such, but does anybody remember Makalambay in the 1-0 Casper victory at Tynie?

Hearts were piling on the pressure in the last few minutes and it got into injury time. Hearts got a throw in in line with the penalty box and just about every player was inside the box bar the huddy that hurled it in. I was watching the game on TV and as the jambo hurled it in towards the 18 yard box, I seen Makalambay stood almost at the edge of the box! he just grabbed it off some laddies heid and the game was won. I'd never seen anything like it. My first thought was "WTF is he doing that far oot!" And then I was like " That giant genius!"... I would take the big fella back in a heartbeat :greengrin Do Do Do Do!

If you're at the derby you might be happy to see my sporting my old strip with "Ma-Kalambay 50" on the back !

Deek01
29-03-2014, 08:53 AM
In terms of best goal keeping performance, one that stands out for me was Andy McNeil vs St Mirren. I'm sure we scored two early goals through Nish and Zemamma before the game became shooty in vs McNeil !

Billychaotic182
29-03-2014, 11:22 AM

That's the one for me as well. Always sticks out in my mind. Remember Maka having a really good game for us against rangers one year when it finished 0-0

Billychaotic182
29-03-2014, 11:23 AM
If you're at the derby you might be happy to see my sporting my old strip with "Ma-Kalambay 50" on the back !

I loved the big guy

GreenArmyyy!
29-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Anderson in the shoot out for me. Was convinced we were done for.

From any goalie it's Borucs from Wotherspoon I think. I was right behind it in FF stand and still can't believe he got that.

Agree with this, Wotherspoon also had his deflected shot saved the next week at Tynecastle by Balogh. That was another great save.

GreenArmyyy!
29-03-2014, 12:09 PM
The best 90 minute performance I have seen from a Hibs keeper was when we best St Mirren 2-0 at home (Nish and Zouma) both excellent goals. We had Andy McNeil in goals that day and some of the saves he pulled off were mind blowing. If I remember correctly there was a fire in the flats behind the south stand that day as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-03-2014, 12:43 PM

I knew it was a Hibby of some sort! :-)

Hibercelona
29-03-2014, 12:48 PM

I remember that. I also remember some tit on Sky Sports saying it was a good save, but not a great one. :confused:

It was magnificent.

Mr White
29-03-2014, 12:54 PM
I knew it was a Hibby of some sort! :-)

Hutchyhibby 1 - alcohol induced amnesia 0.

hibsbollah
29-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Thats mine too :agree: I firmly believe we would have lost that game without that save; we were getting battered first half.

andyhibs
29-03-2014, 02:06 PM
:top marks:top marks
I've mentioned this before but the save which kept us in the League Cup semi against Aberdeen at Dens Park in the early 80's from Mike McDonald was just outstanding. Cross from the left wing had 3 Aberdeen forwards converging on the ball, think McGhee bulleted the ball back with a header into far corner, McDonald took off and was completely horizontal when he tipped it past right hand post one handed, the power in the header and reflexes in the save were just outstanding, remember all 3 Aberdeen players just hitting the deck in total disbelief !

i was going to post that one, unbelievable jeff

Paperboy
29-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Goram's debut, Pars at Easter Road, he had nowt to do for most of the game, we were 3 or 4 up, then pulled off a stunning "for the telly" diving save from a long range effort from that big ginger lad with the mouser. (Watson maybe?)
I knew then we'd made a fine signing. :greengrin

I can't remember that but I remember his debut well. at 4-0 up a Pars player fired a shot past the post. Goram stood and watched it and it wasn't as wide ash e thought it was going to be.

I was in the Cowshed when someone else shouted "What about that Andy?" Goram replied "I had it covered." Queue laughter from the Cowshed and the birth of a legend

AngusHibby
29-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Hibs v Rangers 1996.

Highlights of that game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iInKs5CUPYY :wink:

Mibbes Aye
29-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Highlights of that game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iInKs5CUPYY :wink:

That's quality :aok:

Had forgotten how much the retake decision was a stick-on. Andy Millen was nearly in front of the ball when Laudrup struck it :greengrin

Also forgot that that the linesman was in front of that wee section in the West that they used to get - no wonder he confirmed the penalty :rolleyes:

And what's McGinlay doing, ball still in play and they've got possession and he's trying to get a collie buckie of Leighton.......