PDA

View Full Version : League of Nations Tournament ! (NHC)

worcesterhibby
26-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Looks like Platini is going to turn International Friendlies into a Euro league ! Pity Scotland will no doubt start in Div 3 !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

Viva_Palmeiras
26-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Can I take a wild stab in the dark and suggest that the tournament is spread over a number of countries rather than a nation or nations and that the criteria be a convenient EUFA compliant stadium with a capacity of 20k+ ?

edinburghhibee
26-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I like the idea, international friendlies are a bit boring but if it meant something then great. Not sure the big clubs in the globe will agree right enough with their players being involved in matches and more risk of injury

Sean1875
26-03-2014, 06:32 PM
on the face of it, good idea! :agree: although I have full faith in UEFA to balls it up :aok:

Jack Hackett
26-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Not seeing how they'd get all the games played. 4 leagues would mean a minimum of 13 teams playing each other. Even if it was a one-legged tie, that's a lot of games to try and fit into the current 'friendly' structure, and doesn't include qualifying tournaments for the World Cup and Euros, which take up dates every year. We could end up like cricket where all the best players sod off on tour leaving the dross to play the actual league matches

macca70
26-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Not seeing how they'd get all the games played. 4 leagues would mean a minimum of 13 teams playing each other. Even if it was a one-legged tie, that's a lot of games to try and fit into the current 'friendly' structure, and doesn't include qualifying tournaments for the World Cup and Euros, which take up dates every year. We could end up like cricket where all the best players sod off on tour leaving the dross to play the actual league matches

I think each division would then be divided into smaller groups eg top 16 teams split into 4 groups of 4 with the winners going into a Semi then a Final.

You'd also have 4 groups in 2nd division, same in 3rd .

Seems a decent idea to make friendlies more competitive asInternational friendlies are becoming a waste of time.

My only concern would be that we would be getting friendlies against 3rd division countries and not many, if any at all, amour friendlies against the top countries.

Jack Hackett
26-03-2014, 07:54 PM
I think each division would then be divided into smaller groups eg top 16 teams split into 4 groups of 4 with the winners going into a Semi then a Final.

You'd also have 4 groups in 2nd division, same in 3rd .

Seems a decent idea to make friendlies more competitive asInternational friendlies are becoming a waste of time.

My only concern would be that we would be getting friendlies against 3rd division countries and not many, if any at all, amour friendlies against the top countries.

Look on the bright side. If WGS continues to drag us out of the doldrums, our coefficient should be a lot higher by the time this kicks off...at least into the second division

H18sry
27-03-2014, 07:52 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26762899

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-03-2014, 07:59 AM

At least it wouldnae have an adverse effect on Hibs! :-)

frazeHFC
27-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I think it's a great idea, just hope it works!

(((Fergus)))
27-03-2014, 10:20 AM
How about if you use all the currently available international dates (qualification and friendlies) for the League of Nations, which would then become the basis for qualification - just as domestic league position is the basis for qualification to Champions League/Europa Cup. The top 13/14 UEFA teams would qualify for the world cup finals with league position determining their seeding for the draw (top 24 or whatever for the Euros). Actually it might end up eclipsing the Euros, which would become a sort of intermittent FA Cup.

MartinfaePorty
27-03-2014, 10:26 AM
I have certain sympathy with them over this, as they need to try new things to fight the ever-increasing influence of club football (well, those in the elite European clubs, that is). There's still a place for them both, in my opinion.

Seveno
27-03-2014, 01:00 PM
How about if you use all the currently available international dates (qualification and friendlies) for the League of Nations, which would then become the basis for qualification - just as domestic league position is the basis for qualification to Champions League/Europa Cup. The top 13/14 UEFA teams would qualify for the world cup finals with league position determining their seeding for the draw (top 24 or whatever for the Euros). Actually it might end up eclipsing the Euros, which would become a sort of intermittent FA Cup.

Sounds a good idea to me.

PeeJay
27-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Think there will no longer be any friendlies, they'll be replaced by this LONs; apparently it's the "boring" friendlies that are the "problem" behind this move, but then they could have stopped forcing countries to play them so often, surely?

Seems to me that this is probably all about boosting revenues - and ultimately making more money for the larger footballing associations -