PDA

View Full Version : Double Figures (top scorer)

Ronniekirk
25-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Unless Liam Craig finds some form we could end the Season without one player getting into double figures for goals scored in the LeagueWhen was the last time this happened .? I find this an embarrassing prospect .Even worse our strikers might not get 20 goals between them .No wonder we are not being entertained .

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 11:38 PM
If Heff got more of a game in general (not just since butcher came in) and good service he would get double figures easily.

Ronniekirk
25-03-2014, 11:43 PM
If Heff got more of a game in general (not just since butcher came in) and good service he would get double figures easily.
I thought that as well but he didn't have a shot on target against Saints but then we aren't creating many chances .

Sir David Gray
25-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Unless Liam Craig finds some form we could end the Season without one player getting into double figures for goals scored in the LeagueWhen was the last time this happened .? I find this an embarrassing prospect .Even worse our strikers might not get 20 goals between them .No wonder we are not being entertained .

2001-02 was the last time our top goalscorer in the league failed to reach double figures.

Garry O'Connor scored 9 SPL goals that season.

1997-98 was the last time that our top goalscorer in all competitions failed to reach double figures.

Stevie Crawford and Barry Lavety both scored 9 goals in all competitions that season.

We were also relegated that year!

Liam Craig is our top goalscorer so far, with 9 goals in all competitions to his name.

Ronniekirk
25-03-2014, 11:55 PM
2001-02 was the last time our top goalscorer in the league failed to reach double figures.

Garry O'Connor scored 9 SPL goals that season.

1997-98 was the last time that our top goalscorer in all competitions failed to reach double figures.

Stevie Crawford and Barry Lavety both scored 9 goals in all competitions that season.

We were also relegated that year!

Liam Craig is our top goalscorer so far, with 9 goals in all competitions to his name.
Barry Lavety I remember him and Kevin Harper scored two of the best goals I have seen scored against Hearts I think at Easter road in the same game .Both were scored from same area and both ended up in bottom corner of net We have no one that could do that now Sadly

hibeemikey21
26-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Barry Lavety I remember him and Kevin Harper scored two of the best goals I have seen scored against Hearts I think at Easter road in the same game .Both were scored from same area and both ended up in bottom corner of net We have no one that could do that now Sadly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VILslJNB0

:thumbsup:

Liberal Hibby
26-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Unless Liam Craig finds some form .

Collins is on six - it is not out of the question he can pick up four more - starting on Sunday.

Ozyhibby
26-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Collins is on six - it is not out of the question he can pick up four more - starting on Sunday.

Scary that he has scored less than Adam Rooney.
:-(

Ronniekirk
26-03-2014, 08:23 AM
And they didn't need to pay a transfer fee just offer him a permanent contract but we didn't think he was worth that .Never bought that story at the time Bottom line Petrie wouldn't sanction the money needed This is what he does wrong Jhelum compounds one mistake forking out the money for Collins and giving him a three year contract by not then backing next manager with the player who has scored for that manager before and who had proven record in spl and wasn't the wrong side of 30 like Heff .That one signing instead of the three we made could of been difference between 6th and where we are now No wonder T B is Frustrated .To get back to thread heading ,yes he could of got double figures for us .

Ronniekirk
26-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks for that great memories T B should make them watch it might give them doomed inspiration for Sunday :rolleyes:

The Sea-gull
26-03-2014, 09:00 AM
There's a decent chance we'll get a penalty between now and the end of the season thus likely giving Craig a chance to net his 10th of the season. It is not beyond Collins to get 4 more goals in 7 games though stats across the season suggest this is unlikely.

Perhaps Heffernan or even Collins would score around 18-20 goals over the course of a season if they remained fit and played in a team that created more chances but I doubt it and don't really want either of them to be our number 1 striking options when the new season kicks off in August.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season it has been one to forget for all of our players (with the exception of Stanton who can look at it as a decent break through season) individually and collectively.

easty
26-03-2014, 09:10 AM
And they didn't need to pay a transfer fee just offer him a permanent contract but we didn't think he was worth that .Never bought that story at the time Bottom line Petrie wouldn't sanction the money needed This is what he does wrong Jhelum compounds one mistake forking out the money for Collins and giving him a three year contract by not then backing next manager with the player who has scored for that manager before and who had proven record in spl and wasn't the wrong side of 30 like Heff .That one signing instead of the three we made could of been difference between 6th and where we are now No wonder T B is Frustrated .To get back to thread heading ,yes he could of got double figures for us .

Oh is that the bottom line is it? So you know that Petrie wouldn't sanction the deal Butcher wanted to give him? And that Adam Rooney wanted to reject Aberdeen and come to us? PETRIE!!!!

erin go bragh
26-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Sure that goal was in a new year derby game .
Lavety and Harper ( scored the winner ) was after the new year game .
The goal you showed was the best mind , just .

Ggttg

leggeto
26-03-2014, 10:15 AM
There's a decent chance we'll get a penalty between now and the end of the season thus likely giving Craig a chance to net his 10th of the season. It is not beyond Collins to get 4 more goals in 7 games though stats across the season suggest this is unlikely.

Perhaps Heffernan or even Collins would score around 18-20 goals over the course of a season if they remained fit and played in a team that created more chances but I doubt it and don't really want either of them to be our number 1 striking options when the new season kicks off in August.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season it has been one to forget for all of our players (with the exception of Stanton who can look at it as a decent break through season) individually and collectively.

will we get into the opposition box though hmmmm

Coco Bryce
26-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Craig shouldn't even be in the team never mind hitting a bit form. He has been absolute gash for months now and is one of the reasons we find ourselves in the mess we are in. Never a captain either!

PeterboroHibee
26-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Thats ultimately the problem. Most weeks our best chances for goals seem to come from set pieces (especially corners), but we really struggle to create anything in open play. None of the strikers are really suitable for dealing with long balls, which means they inevitable end up snatching at the one or two chances they get per game.

we are hibs
26-03-2014, 12:22 PM
embarrassing tha we haven't got a goalscorer

The Sea-gull
26-03-2014, 12:36 PM
embarrassing tha we haven't got a goalscorer

I know, for all our faults over the years I have followed Hibs, one thing we have had more often than not is at least one striker who puts the ball in the back of the net 12, 15 or even in a good few cases around 20 times per season.

KeithTheHibby
26-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Scary that he has scored more than our 'strikers'.

.Sean.
26-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Zero doubt in my mind Riordan would've banged in at least ten goals this season.

KeithTheHibby
26-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Craig shouldn't even be in the team never mind hitting a bit form. He has been absolute gash for months now and is one of the reasons we find ourselves in the mess we are in. Never a captain either!

Craig ain't been the only one who has been poor however our strikers have to take a serious look at themselves. It is easy to defend them saying that no-one is creating for them however what about creating chances for themselves? Or perhaps taking a shot at goal? Pathetic.

leggeto
26-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Zero doubt in my mind Riordan would've banged in at least ten goals this season.

your right

Coco Bryce
26-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Craig ain't been the only one who has been poor however our strikers have to take a serious look at themselves. It is easy to defend them saying that no-one is creating for them however what about creating chances for themselves? Or perhaps taking a shot at goal? Pathetic.

I know that full well, that's why I said one of the reasons...

But his job is to create/score goals, none of which he seems capable of at the moment.

KeithTheHibby
26-03-2014, 01:00 PM
I know that full well, that's why I said one of the reasons...

But his job is to create/score goals, none of which he seems capable of at the moment.

None of the midfielders have done that. I would wager Craig has scored more than the rest of the midfielders put together. Probably.:greengrin

silverhibee
26-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Don't you worry Ronnie, pretty sure the chat on here was that TB only wanted Rooney on loan as he would be looking at better players than him in the summer to sign on long term contracts.

Think that's the plan anyway.

BenjiOscar
26-03-2014, 01:04 PM
O'Connor managed to get 10 SPL goals in 2001/02. Was looking at this recently and Hibs are the only side outwith Celtic and Rangers to have a player reach double figures for league goals in every season of the SPL in which they've played (we missed the first SPL season). Motherwell only missed out in season 98/99.

Of the others teams that have played in every SPL season, Kilmarnock have failed 8 times to have a player hit double figures, Aberdeen and Dundee United 5 times and Hearts 4 times.

sesoim
26-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Probably, and he wouldn't have even needed to have been upfront. Much as the forwards Fenlon lumbered us with this season have failed, we really should have about four or five players knocking in 10+ goals a season if we want to be challenging for 2nd.

Sir David Gray
26-03-2014, 04:38 PM
O'Connor managed to get 10 SPL goals in 2001/02. Was looking at this recently and Hibs are the only side outwith Celtic and Rangers to have a player reach double figures for league goals in every season of the SPL in which they've played (we missed the first SPL season). Motherwell only missed out in season 98/99.

Of the others teams that have played in every SPL season, Kilmarnock have failed 8 times to have a player hit double figures, Aberdeen and Dundee United 5 times and Hearts 4 times.

Garry O'Connor scored 9 SPL goals in season 01/02.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_Hibernian_F.C._season#Player_stats
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=16926&season_id=131

BenjiOscar
26-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately the accuracy of Wikipedia is not quite up to scratch. They are missing his first league goal against Kilmarnock on 19/1/02. I think some records suggest this was an own goal but it was credited to Garry.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6427

Northernhibee
26-03-2014, 06:32 PM

He's not scored a goal in three years. He wouldn't even make the bench nowadays.

easty
26-03-2014, 06:45 PM

I highly doubt that.

SouthamptonHibs
26-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I'd try Riorden out rather than Collins (if that was an option but sadly it is not). As a striker I think he has been awful this season. Deeks half fit would do better.
I fully expect that Collins will run about and work hard adding no real value or goal threat in our next 7 games and at best he'll get 2 goals. (Optimistic view)
Our strikers have been awful this season, there either too young, to slow, not good enough or haven't any spl experience. Let's hope our midfield can get us some goals........

easty
26-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Watching the Aberdeen cup final the other week, Adam Rooney played a lot like Collins has for us almost all season. Aberdeen created nowt for him, and he ended up coming deep to get the ball with no options to make something happen.

I can't say that I think Collins should be happy with his first season here but I do still believe that in an SPL team playing some better football he'd score goals.

patch1875
26-03-2014, 06:59 PM

How many has he got for his current top team?

Ronniekirk
26-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Don't you worry Ronnie, pretty sure the chat on here was that TB only wanted Rooney on loan as he would be looking at better players than him in the summer to sign on long term contracts.

Think that's the plan anyway.

Nae use telling me not to worry , I am a natural born worrier . hope the chat is right ,but to be honest I would of been happy with Rooney as am sure he could of scored for us in short term and been an asset next season . Goal scorers are not that easy to come by .

emerald green
26-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I know it's a long time ago, but how about Joe Baker's 102 goals in 117 appearances in the famous green & white shirt? This included 4 goals against yams in a Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle. What a player.

Ronniekirk
26-03-2014, 08:24 PM
I know it's a long time ago, but how about Joe Baker's 102 goals in 117 appearances in the famous green & white shirt? This included 4 goals against yams in a Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle. What a player.
Now your talking that was a player Remember him on his second stint Didn't score as many then .Also remember him at Hands off Hibs Rally at Easter Rd getting down on his knees kissing the Hallowed Turf

emerald green
26-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Now your talking that was a player Remember him on his second stint Didn't score as many then .Also remember him at Hands off Hibs Rally at Easter Rd getting down on his knees kissing the Hallowed Turf

Joe Baker = legend mate. :agree:

Sir David Gray
26-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately the accuracy of Wikipedia is not quite up to scratch. They are missing his first league goal against Kilmarnock on 19/1/02. I think some records suggest this was an own goal but it was credited to Garry.

:hmmm: I think we need a Hibs.net dubious goals panel to decide this!

Anyone got a replay of the goal anywhere?

Ronniekirk
26-03-2014, 11:09 PM
:hmmm: I think we need a Hibs.net dubious goals panel to decide this!

Anyone got a replay of the goal anywhere?
Yes in my memory but it's a bit hazy and the rewind neurone isn't working as good as it used to :wink:

Iggy Pope
26-03-2014, 11:21 PM

Garry O'Connor scored 9 SPL goals in season 01/02.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_Hibernian_F.C._season#Player_stats
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=16926&season_id=131

Fitbastats is reliable on all fronts.

I could update Wikipedia tomorrow suggesting that none of Garry's goals count as they were actually scored by Elvis Presley's maw.

Sir David Gray
26-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Fitbastats is reliable on all fronts.

I could update Wikipedia tomorrow suggesting that none of Garry's goals count as they were actually scored by Elvis Presley's maw.

Can you update Soccerbase.com as well?