PDA

View Full Version : Would Hibs have went down last season if we didn't have Leigh Griffiths?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 06:29 PM
What are peoples thoughts on this? Do you think we would have went down?

lord bunberry
25-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Who cares we did have him and we didn't go down. The level of doom and gloom on here just now is getting me down.

Eyrie
25-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Depends on who we'd have signed instead.

Northernhibee
25-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Who cares we did have him and we didn't go down. The level of doom and gloom on here just now is getting me down.

Yep, it's beyond a joke.

Kato
25-03-2014, 06:39 PM

Why ask for people's thoughts? Don't you have any of your own?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Why ask for people's thoughts? Don't you have any of your own?

Because maybe I want to see what other peoples opinions are other than my own?

Kato
25-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Because maybe I want to see what other peoples opinions are other than my own?

Wouldn't it then be polite to offer your own first. [canny wait]

Gus Fring
25-03-2014, 06:45 PM
No. If we didn't have Leigh Griffiths we would have signed an even more prolific striker, finished 2nd and beat Celtic in the final.

Shore Thing
25-03-2014, 06:49 PM
no, because if leigh griffiths hadn't been in the team, this would've definitely caused a rip in the space-time continuum, causing Edinburgh to fold in on itself and re-emerge at hampden in an eternal loop of hibs forever winning the Scottish cup.
Fact. end of.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't it then be polite to offer your own first. [canny wait]

I would say it is even more polite to let other people have their say before I have mine. Not gonna bother arguing with you over this because the thread will go off topic. :aok:

Hibercelona
25-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Perhaps not last season. But he played a vital role in keeping us up during the 2011/12 season. As did the signing of James McPake.

Mikey
25-03-2014, 07:22 PM

Well if St Mirren get anything from tonight's game (which will set us up nicely for Sunday) you might as well log off for 5 days :greengrin

leggeto
25-03-2014, 07:26 PM

definitely and we wouldn't have got to two cut finals

Iggy Pope
25-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Perhaps not last season. But he played a vital role in keeping us up during the 2011/12 season. As did the signing of James McPake.

As did Garry O'Connor. Probably more so than Leigh.

Kato
25-03-2014, 07:48 PM
definitely and we wouldn't have got to two cut finals

So we would have played with ten men?

Saorsa
25-03-2014, 07:51 PM
What are peoples thoughts on this? Do you think we would have went down?Maybe but does it really matter now? We did and we didnae. What worries me is that we didnae come close tae replacing him (we have half a dozen strikers who couldnae score his total between them) and where we are now. My gut feeling is we'll scrape enough points tae avoid trouble again but I ain't foolish enough tae discount it altogether and I certainly hope naebody at ER is until it's impossible. Either way things at this club simply ain't good enough and havnae been for far too long.

Forza Fred
25-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Maybe but does it really matter now? We did and we didnae. What worries me is that we didnae come close tae replacing him (we have half a dozen strikers who couldnae score his total between them) and were we are now. My gut feeling is we'll scrape enough points tae avoid trouble again but I ain't foolish enough tae discount it altogether and I certainly hope naebody at ER is until it's impossible. Either way things at this club simply ain't good enough and havnae been for far too long.

Spot on

Hibernia Na Eir
25-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Probably.

lord bunberry
25-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Well if St Mirren get anything from tonight's game (which will set us up nicely for Sunday) you might as well log off for 5 days :greengrin

Panic over for another few days

RIP
25-03-2014, 09:55 PM

No but we may have gone down

Yours sincerely
The grammar police

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 10:02 PM
No but we may have gone down

Yours sincerely
The grammar police

The grammer police? Where is the punctuation in your reply?! :wink:

Jonnyboy
25-03-2014, 10:04 PM

:tee hee:

Hibercelona
25-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Maybe but does it really matter now? We did and we didnae. What worries me is that we didnae come close tae replacing him (we have half a dozen strikers who couldnae score his total between them) and where we are now. My gut feeling is we'll scrape enough points tae avoid trouble again but I ain't foolish enough tae discount it altogether and I certainly hope naebody at ER is until it's impossible. Either way things at this club simply ain't good enough and havnae been for far too long.

I'm thinking across the same lines. I think we'll manage to stay in the league, but certainly not as comfortably as some are making out.

Whatever the problems are, they have to be resolved next season. Or we could very much be facing another close call again.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 10:05 PM
:tee hee:

:greengrin

FranckSuzy
25-03-2014, 10:32 PM

It's grammar but other than that :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
25-03-2014, 10:33 PM

"But it's all about opinions..."

and Im with ya!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 10:40 PM
It's grammar but other than that :greengrin

I meant that, I swear! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
25-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I meant that, I swear! :greengrin

:fibber: :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
25-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Muphrys Law apparently...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry's_law

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-03-2014, 11:40 PM
:fibber: :greengrin

I was looking for that big nose smiley! :greengrin

Ronniekirk
25-03-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm thinking across the same lines. I think we'll manage to stay in the league, but certainly not as comfortably as some are making out.

Whatever the problems are, they have to be resolved next season. Or we could very much be facing another close call again.
Better watch out Goggs will be pulling you up for thinking across the same lines .But I was Thinking along those same Lines.:wink:

Swedish hibee
26-03-2014, 12:49 AM
But we did and we didn't.

Look forward (god I know it's hard!) rather than back.

The_Horde
26-03-2014, 09:00 AM
No. We had Doyle and Wotherspoon..

GreenLake
26-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm sure it will already be considered within the boardroom at ER but discussions elsewhere may help in acknowledging the impact one player made on the team.
One player, the right player, may be the difference between dog fight and comfortable.
Two players may mean the difference between top and bottom six.

If's but's and maybe's.

So the OP may not be negative, it may be encouraging people to look at the positive outcome then set a clear focus on what needs to be done to achieve any target set by the board and management.

I would rather see 2 exceptional new players signed in the summer than 8 good players better than what we have.

sesoim
26-03-2014, 04:02 PM

YES. Griffiths scored almost 30 goals, and made most of them for himself. Would Fenlon have been able to find a replacement? Well, looking at the forwards he signed after Griffiths left, I doubt it.

sesoim
26-03-2014, 04:02 PM
;3943057']No. We had Doyle and Wotherspoon..

:faf:

sesoim
26-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I would rather see 2 exceptional new players signed in the summer than 8 good players better than what we have.

Well, if we could find another Sauzee for defence, Latapy for midfield, and a Griffiths up front, that would be great. But realistically, we can't take that risk in case they get injured. I think we would be better with 8 or 9 good value £2000 a week type players. If we could find them, there is no reason why we shouldn't leapfrog at least three teams next season.

Having said all that, I think the fans are feeling so low now that it is almost a necessity that Hibs pull out a couple of "big", or at least interesting signings, to get fans buying season tickets.

chrisski33
26-03-2014, 04:23 PM

Dont see the point on this we had em and we didnt go down!

heretoday
26-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes I reckon we would have GONE down! And perhaps not have returned right away.

VivaHiberña
26-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Well, if we could find another Sauzee for defence, Latapy for midfield, and a Griffiths up front, that would be great. But realistically, we can't take that risk in case they get injured. I think we would be better with 8 or 9 good value £2000 a week type players. If we could find them, there is no reason why we shouldn't leapfrog at least three teams next season.

Having said all that, I think the fans are feeling so low now that it is almost a necessity that Hibs pull out a couple of "big", or at least interesting signings, to get fans buying season tickets.

The problem, in my view, from that perspective is that apart from Rodders not being the speculate to accumulate type is that while I have every faith in Butcher to bring in good players on a Rod-friendly budget, like he did at Caley, I can't see him bringing anyone we've heard of, never mind any big names.

Spike Mandela
26-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Would we have went down if we didn't have Leigh, would Dundee have stayed up if they had Leigh, would Hearts have avoided administration if Vlad wasn't mad and would yer auntie be yer uncle if she had baws?

All interesting questions but why waste time on hypotheticals? I'm just glad I had the pleasure of seeing Leigh in a Hibs jersey and the many happy memories it brought.

GreenLake
26-03-2014, 04:36 PM

We need the guys in your avatar for walls at free kicks. :greengrin

heretoday
26-03-2014, 05:00 PM
If Terry can unearth one or two charismatic types to shine amid the chaff I'll be happy and Hibs will be all right.

Sergio sledge
26-03-2014, 05:35 PM

I'm bored, so I went through last seasons results and took out the top scorer in the league in each team, revised all the results and the final table.

Hibs finished joint bottom with Aberdeen on 36 points, getting relegated because of a goal difference of -17, compared to Aberdeen's -14. ICT were 10th with 40 points and a goal difference of -7.

Hibs lost out on 15 points without Griffiths, the next biggest losers were ICT, losing 14 points without Billy McKay.

The biggest winners out of all this were Dundee, gaining 11 extra points, moving up 3 places in the table and conceding a massive 29 less goals.

So now we know. That's an hour of my life I won't get back.... :greengrin

RIP
27-03-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm sure it will already be considered within the boardroom at ER but discussions elsewhere may help in acknowledging the impact one player made on the team.
One player, the right player, may be the difference between dog fight and comfortable.
Two players may mean the difference between top and bottom six.

If's but's and maybe's.

So the OP may not be negative, it may be encouraging people to look at the positive outcome then set a clear focus on what needs to be done to achieve any target set by the board and management.

Good post Sloop but please lose the apostrophes.

Stonewall
27-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Good post Sloop but please lose the apostrophes.

Why stop with the apostrophes when there's a clanger in the title of the thread.

Ronniekirk
27-03-2014, 07:46 AM

I think you are underestimating how poor we currently are and it's unlikely IMO we will be able to afford or attract exceptional players

Geo_1875
27-03-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm bored, so I went through last seasons results and took out the top scorer in the league in each team, revised all the results and the final table.

Hibs finished joint bottom with Aberdeen on 36 points, getting relegated because of a goal difference of -17, compared to Aberdeen's -14. ICT were 10th with 40 points and a goal difference of -7.

Hibs lost out on 15 points without Griffiths, the next biggest losers were ICT, losing 14 points without Billy McKay.

The biggest winners out of all this were Dundee, gaining 11 extra points, moving up 3 places in the table and conceding a massive 29 less goals.

So now we know. That's an hour of my life I won't get back.... :greengrin

Can you recalculate that removing penalties from top scorers totals as they would probably have been scored by others.