PDA

View Full Version : "Successive Hibs sides have resembled squatters in a mansion" (Tom English)

davidw
25-03-2014, 12:05 PM
"With Petrie, every penny is a prisoner. He has created a fantastic infrastructure but the simple truth is that he has a team that's not worthy of it. Successive Hibs sides have resembled squatters in a mansion"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26732007

NeilOrrSquareBa
25-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Succinctly put!

khib70
25-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Succinctly put!
:agree:...and frighteningly accurate too:boo hoo::brickwall

Thecat23
25-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Well put may I add. Glad it's not just us who can clearly see there is something wrong at ER. A lot of pressure is on Petrie this summer. It's clear the fans have had enough so he must produce and get Butchers targets in first time. Or risk this club going into a real free fall worse than now.

KeithTheHibby
25-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Decent article and pretty much bang on.

craigmounthibby
25-03-2014, 12:32 PM
This is a well overdue article, and spot on.

Golden Bear
25-03-2014, 12:33 PM
The article sums things up perfectly.

The problem is easy to identify but finding an effective and sustainable solution could prove to be difficult.

greenpaper55
25-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Pretty good i'd say now lets have a response from RP !, what's the chances ?.

jeffers
25-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Well put may I add. Glad it's not just us who can clearly see there is something wrong at ER. A lot of pressure is on Petrie this summer. It's clear the fans have had enough so he must produce and get Butchers targets in first time. Or risk this club going into a real free fall worse than now.

Do you have info on who any of his targets are F, and how realistic they are ? I'm assuming he will need to move on some of the players currently under contract, although I wouldn't imagine he'd be too upset at losing some of them

silverhibee
25-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Can't argue with any of what Mr English said in that article.

Butcher has made it clear to a few about what he wants to happen in the summer, he has a shopping list for new players and he wants them in on the first day of pre-season.

Over to you Rod, don't let us down.

The Sea-gull
25-03-2014, 12:52 PM
It is a really good article and can't argue with any of it. We can see we are a mess, other football fans can see it, the media can all see it but can Petrie.

Tom English states that we need 6 first team players at least. I'd agree, make that 7 if Williams leaves.

Not sure if the Hibs board do football signing strategies but I am sure TB will have one and the board better pull out all of the stops to allow him to put it in place.

Personally I think the strategy needs to involve shipping a lot of players out and making about 8 signings this summer. About 6 of them should be ready to step right into the first XI right away with at least 3 or 4 of them being proven players, known names to the fans. These known players should be signed up by the end of June latest in order to try and boost season ticket sales. We should parade about 5 new signings by the end of June and make it clear to fans that any additional season tickets bought over the summer will determine the quality of players TB can sign before the summer window closes on 31st Aug.

If we avoid the play off this season (which I think we will just about do by virtue of too many teams being behind us rather than our own qualities - in itself disgusting) then we will be in it next year or worse if we carry on with the same quality and character of signings we have had in recent years.

Keith_M
25-03-2014, 01:15 PM
If everybody goes out and buys a Season Ticket, we'll be fine.

:offski:

Don Giovanni
25-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Decent article and unfortunately, its hard to argue against the content.
This season will go down as further underacheivement (& it could still get worse).
We really are in a sorry state.

I agree with those posters above laying down the gauntlet to Petrie & Butcher.
It's time for them to stand up an be counted.

sven nil
25-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Nothing in the article that has not been written on here .

loanheadhibby
25-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Absolutely agree. Anyone could have written that if we were afforded the platform.

A decent journalist would have for once taken a different view. A bit disappointing he did not do an article on the under performing players and which ones are not up to the task. Maybe he is pals with the squad and did not want to upset his mates?

He thinks we need 6 new players? Which of the current squad would he retain?

Viva_Palmeiras
25-03-2014, 04:22 PM
If we have squatters in a mansion what about the yams?

DC_Hibs
25-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Absolutely agree. Anyone could have written that if we were afforded the platform.

A decent journalist would have for once taken a different view. A bit disappointing he did not do an article on the under performing players and which ones are not up to the task. Maybe he is pals with the squad and did not want to upset his mates?

Yes its been said on here many a time but this is a forum for Hibs fans. This article is on the BBC and open to a much wider audience and will definitely have got Rodders attention.

I don't recall many respected journalists going through a whole squad saying who is good enough very often. He's hit the nail on the head that we need a serious overhaul. That's not rocket science, we know it and Butcher knows it. It's a big summer for Rodders.

Robbie Savage did it on Man U players but who would listen to that total ph@nny? Note, I said respected and journalist.

DarlingtonHibee
25-03-2014, 04:26 PM
"With Petrie, every penny is a prisoner. He has created a fantastic infrastructure but the simple truth is that he has a team that's not worthy of it. Successive Hibs sides have resembled squatters in a mansion"

How many SPFL clubs with a mulit million pound turnover has Tom English run ?

loanheadhibby
25-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes its been said on here many a time but this is a forum for Hibs fans. This article is on the BBC and open to a much wider audience and will definitely have got Rodders attention.

I don't recall many respected journalists going through a whole squad saying who is good enough very often. He's hit the nail on the head that we need a serious overhaul. That's not rocket science, we know it and Butcher knows it. It's a big summer for Rodders.

Robbie Savage did it on Man U players but who would listen to that total ph@nny? Note, I said respected and journalist.

But why do journalists not give an opinion about individual players? I know they rely on these players as contacts etc but surely someone has to grow a pair and tell it like it is? The problem in the press is that they want to be everyone's friend.

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2014, 04:34 PM

congrats on being the first

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2014, 04:40 PM
But why do journalists not give an opinion about individual players? I know they rely on these players as contacts etc but surely someone has to grow a pair and tell it like it is? The problem in the press is that they want to be everyone's friend.

because it then becomes a bit personal, would a football player really like to see his name in a paper article judging him as ermm..just not up to standard for the top flight ? i could name one player right now who has been at ER quite a few years but in my opinion is just simply not of the quality a club of our stature should have in our first team, i'm not going to name him though

jacomo
25-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Thieves in a skip.

Hibstrooper
25-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Thieves in a skip.

Turds in a toilet

Saorsa
25-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Thieves in a skip.***** in a bucket

DarlingtonHibee
25-03-2014, 04:51 PM
because it then becomes a bit personal, would a football player really like to see his name in a paper article judging him as ermm..just not up to standard for the top flight ? i could name one player right now who has been at ER quite a few years but in my opinion is just simply not of the quality a club of our stature should have in our first team, i'm not going to name him though

Shall we leave that to TB - unless you can give us a view of your management skills - not going to name him - lol !!

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Shall we leave that to TB - unless you can give us a view of your management skills - not going to name him - lol !!

aye, lol

Eyrie
25-03-2014, 05:27 PM
***** in a bucket

Corpses in a freezer.

lord bunberry
25-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Rats in the basement

Ozyhibby
25-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Corpses in a freezer.

Thought that was the shares?

jonty
25-03-2014, 05:37 PM

yams in the vegetable plot

Smartie
25-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Botters in a bus shelter?

Northernhibee
25-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Interesting timing of the article, a few days before a derby that could see Hibs relegate Hearts. Bet if it was the other way around it wouldn't be seen as a sad thing to take glory from.

leggeto
25-03-2014, 06:20 PM

don't mind listening to him on the radio seems to talk a lot of sense and he gets stuck in to the old firm

Onceinawhile
25-03-2014, 06:22 PM
The whole Petrie is a penny pincher thing is a bit daft. So you're saying he cut operating costs so he could spend more on players?

How terrible.

Heedersnvolleys
25-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Interesting timing of the article, a few days before a derby that could see Hibs relegate Hearts. Bet if it was the other way around it wouldn't be seen as a sad thing to take glory from.

Just re-hash of what he said on sports sound last night.

Onion
25-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Sometimes only a journalist can boil things down to the basic level. Squatters in a Mansion is rapier sharp and describes many of the huddies we've had at the club over the last few years, and certainly many of the current transients.

If I was lucky enough to be a footballing pro, the accusation that I was a squatter in a mansion would be enough in itself to motivate me. With this Hibs lot, everything else has been tried.

Northernhibee
25-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Surprised more people don't think this article is highly disrespectful to the club. Not long ago we were defeating that lot in front of a sold out Easter Road and looking a good team. A bad run of form doesn't equate to this article, IMO Tom English can **** right off.

Beefster
25-03-2014, 07:23 PM

I've never made a chicken pie but I can tell when one tastes like *****.

Surprised more people don't think this article is highly disrespectful to the club. Not long ago we were defeating that lot in front of a sold out Easter Road and looking a good team. A bad run of form doesn't equate to this article, IMO Tom English can **** right off.

I think you take any criticism of Hibs to heart too much. There's nothing controversial, disrespectful or even really worth arguing with in English's article.

We've finished in the bottom six for the past four years. We haven't looked good on any consistent basis in a long time.

Kato
25-03-2014, 07:29 PM

It's how he sees us. He's not far wrong.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2014, 07:30 PM
It's how he sees us. He's not far wrong.

:agree: And its how most of us see it too.

hibsbollah
25-03-2014, 07:33 PM
I don't see how anyone can have an issue with what he's written. An excellent analysis.

smurf
25-03-2014, 07:39 PM
You've got to laugh at some within us that are such sensitive souls who take exception to constructive criticism of our club. You would have thought that after the utter humiliation two year's ago v that lot the club would seriously address our abject failures and mediocrity. Unfortunately not. This summer the foundations are either set for a huge improvement next season or it really is game over. The ball is in the court of our custodian Sir Tom Farmer and our Chairman Rod Petrie. They have to deliver on TB's shopping list.

matty_f
25-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't see how anyone can have an issue with what he's written. An excellent analysis.

:agree:

Bostonhibby
25-03-2014, 08:06 PM

It hurts to say it but it needed someone less emotionally involved to do it, and he is spot on.

I am feeling a bit more optimistic now because we all know what happens to squatters eventually, even if they sometimes crap all over the place before leaving.

Ozyhibby
25-03-2014, 08:07 PM
The whole article is bang on the money.

Glory Lurker
25-03-2014, 08:11 PM
The whole article is bang on the money.

And that's what most annoying about it. If it had simply been a rant - just coming out with "the Hibs players are rubbish", or something like that - it could be put up on the changing room wall on Sunday.

weonlywon6-2
25-03-2014, 08:43 PM

thieves in a pig sty?

Jonnyboy
25-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Write away.

Saorsa
25-03-2014, 08:59 PM
The whole article is bang on the money.:agree:

Nail, hammer, heid http://i58.tinypic.com/w8xmop.gif

NAE NOOKIE
25-03-2014, 09:22 PM

We didn't look like a good team that night .... we shipped a bloody stupid goal and won with a penalty given away by an inexperienced player with a stupid tackle. The truth is we beat a crap team in a tight game.

Any club who have underperformed as badly as us for so long deserves a shoeing from the press ..... Tom English is bang on.

I intend to renew my ST on Saturday and then change my seat when the time comes to be able to do that ... unfortunately I don't see any problem getting the seat I want.

Capt Mainwaring
25-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Good article - spot on the money for me. Would like to think that the Board have a re-vamp strategy agreed with TB for the close season which yet again needs to start with a clean out of the under performers. Then construction of the spine of a team from back to front and pace out wide and up front

Hibernia Na Eir
25-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Spot on. Who's REALLY the squatter though?
Petrie or the players.......?

sven nil
25-03-2014, 09:33 PM
write away.eh !

Jonnyboy
25-03-2014, 09:39 PM
eh !

Apologies. Just realised it was only loanheadhibby who felt anyone could have written that article, given the platform. My 'write away' was an attempt to indicate this thread is his/her platform!

davhibby
25-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I like English. Whenever I've heard him talk about Hibs on the radio he's normally spot on. Doesn't get involved with the usual Dons/Hearts love in on sportsound

Ronniekirk
25-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Good article - spot on the money for me. Would like to think that the Board have a re-vamp strategy agreed with TB for the close season which yet again needs to start with a clean out of the under performers. Then construction of the spine of a team from back to front and pace out wide and up front
You make it sound so easy But we haven't had a spine in the team for ages and a lot of players seem Spineless May e we need to hear Marsella s views on how his scouting is going as Hayes for me is not worth trying to keep and Watmore is so slight that he seems to be getting injured so easily and Boateng is no better than what we have ,so it's been a disappointing window and doesn't appear to have enhanced us as a Team Roll on the Summer one

The Harp Awakes
25-03-2014, 10:02 PM
A very good article from one of the better football pundits out there.

There has never been a more important close season for the Club. I get the feeling that this is last chance saloon for Petrie and the current regime. The supporters have had enough of endless mediocrity.

Close season after close season (and in repeated January transfer windows), we have farted around trying to get players on the cheap, then don't succeed, and end up signing journeymen on loan deals. No wonder we have been so cr@p for years.

Clubs like Dundee United, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Inverness etc, who have a fraction of our support and infrastructure, have been turning us over for years. Why has this been allowed to happen for so long?

Having said that, we need to rally round and buy season tickets to give the Manager a chance to turn around Hibs fortunes.

clerriehibs
25-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Maybe, probably, English is right.

Such a shame that where there's a real story, MSM can't be bothered digging much, ie the lying, cheating, thieving gimps o' gorgie. So far as I can make out, any and all of the info available in the media re that shower originated on hibs.net.

Maybe, probably, if English and the others could do real journalism, none of the charities would have been ripped off.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2014, 11:25 PM

Yep.

He's said nothing many on here haven't said before. Truth hurts sometimes.

Boyle89
26-03-2014, 02:13 AM
I think this is possibly the best analogy I've heard used to describe hibs. Can only hope it motivates some of them for, what may be, their last few games for the club.