PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

Unseen work
23-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Just from the highlights looked like he had a very good game and cause us lots of problems

Could do a lot worse than him in our team.

Yes I remember how inconsistent and frustrating he was for us but, would still get a game imo

Michael
23-03-2014, 09:07 PM
People say he was inconsistent, but to me that's not a bad thing.

It's better to be good inconsistently than consistently *****.

Jim44
23-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Just from the highlights looked like he had a very good game and cause us lots of problems

Could do a lot worse than him in our team.

Yes I remember how inconsistent and frustrating he was for us but, would still get a game imo

'Water under the bridge', I'm afraid, but IMHO, not one of Hibby management's better decisions to punt him.

Hibercelona
23-03-2014, 09:13 PM
It was the same when Sproule left us. He ran circles around us for Ross County and suddenly gained those extra 10 yards he had lost while he was here.

PatHead
23-03-2014, 09:18 PM
It was the same when Sproule left us. He ran circles around us for Ross County and suddenly gained those extra 10 yards he had lost while he was here.

Right enough as you were at the game you will know.

Wotherspiniesta
23-03-2014, 09:18 PM

.... For about five games.

Well done to Spoony for moving. Probbaly the best thing for his career and now he's playing for a manager who sees his worth. He's played in Europe, albeit briefly, is playing in his preferred position, playing for a top six team and I'm sure wont be shunned by their manager if the Saints reach a major cup final.

Hibercelona
23-03-2014, 09:20 PM

He scored 8 goals in 24 games for them. Not a bad return for a player that (according to you) only performed well about 5 times.

Wotherspiniesta
23-03-2014, 09:30 PM
He scored 8 goals in 24 games for them. Not a bad return for a player that (according to you) only performed well about 5 times.

Didn't realise he'd scored that many. God love wee Ivan he was a cult hero and we'll always remember THAT game at Ibrox. :not worth

He certainly had a purple patch for a spell at Ross County, but I was never of the opinion we shouldn't have let him go the second time around, he was pretty woeful mate.

Big_Franck
23-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Wasn't at the game yesterday so not sure how Wotherspoon played. I'm still convinced that letting him go was the right decision though as he was brutal the last 2 seasons he was with us (being generous saying the last 2). He wasn't just inconsistent he was just crap IMO.

I've noticed a good few times that he's been on the bench for St Johnstone so he's obviously not been great for them either.

paul_hfc3
23-03-2014, 09:57 PM
He wasnt performing well for us for a period of time before we let him go and still I think it was the right decision to let him leave. He simply wasn't good enough, no offense to him.

B.H.F.C
23-03-2014, 10:09 PM
He wasnt performing well for us for a period of time before we let him go and still I think it was the right decision to let him leave. He simply wasn't good enough, no offense to him.

I agree with that. He had some good games but the four or five poor games in between was an issue.

Played well yesterday but he didn't do anything the previous two times we played them. And he was only playing against McGivern!

Weststandwanab
24-03-2014, 05:53 AM
'Water under the bridge', I'm afraid, but IMHO, not one of Hibby management's better decisions to punt him. One of the worst in my opinion.

Onion
24-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Correct. Wotherspoon, Sproule, Rankin etc were very average players who were never going to move on to a bigger club than Hibs. When they left, they had points to prove - mainly to themselves. It's the same with many of the players we have signed and let go in the last few years. LG is an example of a player who knew he could play at a higher level and had great self motivation/belief at Hibs, and we got great performances out of him.

RIP
24-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Players perform better in the same position, in a settled line up, with a supportive, motivating manager, good team spirit in a well run club

We don't have bad players - we just don't tick enough of the boxes needed for winning games

LancsHibs
24-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Would swap Wotherspoon for any 9 of our starting 11 on Saturday right now!

Josh 01
24-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Would swap Wotherspoon for any 9 of our starting 11 on Saturday right now!

Exactly, i was never his biggest fan, but i would rather of had him playing on the right on saturday instead of a cm in taiwo.

The Sea-gull
24-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Would I have Wotherspoon ahead of any of the players we have right now? Yes.

Would things have been different this season had we kept him?No, not a chance. DW alone would not have changed the way this season has gone. Not one bit.

Would I want Wotherspoon back at Easter road in the summer? No, we need to aim for better than that otherwise we'll not progress.

Was it a mistake to let Wotherspoon go? Sort of. Short term I now think it was actually as we have lacked a proper wide midfielder and an inconsistent DW would be better than nobody or Zoubir. Though the decision in letting DW go was not wrong really it was more the decisions made in signing replacements that were flawed. Suspect Pat had thrown all his eggs in Harris's basket hence getting rid of DW and then he paniced when AH got injured, laboured over making a signing and Zoubir was the ultimate panic signing. Longer term the decision to move DW on was right. It was not happening for him at Hibs so it was time for him to go. As I said at the time he may go on and have a good career but it was over for him at Hibs. We had given him enough chances and he had given us enough time too.

Mikey09
24-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Huge mistake letting the lad go. He was to forward thinking to get anywhere near fenlon's 4 defensive mids. Spoony or Taiwo?? Spoony every single time for me. But he wasn't a fenlon signing and Taiwo was. If yer face fits eh......

Onion
24-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Huge mistake letting the lad go. He was to forward thinking to get anywhere near fenlon's 4 defensive mids. Spoony or Taiwo?? Spoony every single time for me. But he wasn't a fenlon signing and Taiwo was. If yer face fits eh......

Huge mistake ? St J are punching above their weight at the mo (and on their way down). DW will not play for a better/bigger club than St J. If TB does what we hope/expect, we will not be looking back in 2 years time regretting letting DW go.

lord bunberry
24-03-2014, 10:38 AM

I don't see how letting a player who isn't even a first pick at st Johnstone leave can be looked at as a huge mistake. Spoony was good when things were going well but posted missing all to often.

Beefster
24-03-2014, 10:38 AM
This happens all the time when folk start getting hysterical about our form. Folk either begin calling for the return of some player out of the team (it's been Heffernan and Thomson recently) or bang on about how we shouldn't have let X, Y or Z leave.

Wotherspoon was ineffectual in over half of the games he played for Hibs (and that's me being kind). He consistently failed to stand out in Hibs teams just as bad as the current one and couldn't even get into two cup final squads. It was right then that he was leaving and its still right now that he left.

hibbyhabit
24-03-2014, 10:41 AM
This happens all the time when folk start getting hysterical about our form. Folk either begin calling for the return of some player out of the team (it's been Heffernan and Thomson recently) or bang on about how we shouldn't have let X, Y or Z leave.

Wotherspoon was ineffectual in over half of the games he played for Hibs (and that's me being kind). He consistently failed to stand out in Hibs teams just as bad as the current one and couldn't even get into two cup final squads. It was right then that he was leaving and its still right now that he left.

Yip, the strive for mediocrity astounds me. :agree:

jdships
24-03-2014, 10:47 AM

10/10 :agree:
Wotherspoon was one of those players who you always felt he just didn't have that little something to make him a "really good" player .
Will always make a living BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Never have been a " fan" of players coming back to a club for a second spell and certainly feel we could do an awful lot better than him

Bobby's Cinema
24-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Correct. Having spoken to a couple of St.Johnstone season ticket holders, they are not that impressed. He was rightly let go imo, but there are worse performers still at the club.

The Sea-gull
24-03-2014, 12:40 PM

:agree: The fact of the matter is there are not really any players who we have let go in recent times who are anywhere near the standard we all think we should be hitting as we have not been good enough for years now. I don't include the likes of Griffiths and Claros in this as they were not let go; we wanted them but couldn't do deals with their clubs.

Also, to follow up your point about Thomson and Heffernan, we don't have any players in the current squad who are not getting a game whose inclusion will go anywhere near solving our issues. We have a poor squad of players and when I try to think of anyone who I regard as decent those that spring to mind don't really convince me and labelling them decent is charitable.

If I could I would let near enough the whole lot go aside from Harris, Stanton, Forster, Cummings, Handling and perhaps a couple of other youngsters who have either shown promise or have yet to get an opportunity. Even then, I would not put my house on any of them being the standard we are looking for but we have to give them at least the opportnity to make it. Part of that opportnuity and duty we have to them as a club is signing quality experienced players with good character so they can learn from them and get a little bit of help.

We can't unfortunately get rid of the lot in the summer and start again due to contracts but as I have said before, I would genuinely only keep the aforementioned youngsters, the sub goalies and then maybe the likes of Robertson, Craig and Stevenson who I think could all be useful with better players around them as they are all proven players. I may include Paul Hanlon in that group but I am starting to wonder if he has just been around too long now and whether a change would benefit him and us. I know Setvenson has been around even longer but he hasn't been the regular that Hanlon has been.

this means we have to try and get rid of a lot of players and a lot in but I really think it is what the club needs. We have a new look management team, give them the chance to mould their own squad almost from scratch or as close to scratch as possible and see where this takes us.

It needs to be a very different Hibernian next season in terms of personnel otherwise (if we manage to avoid relegation this season which, on balance I think we will) then it is very, very possible that one way or another, we'll go down next season.

craigmounthibby
24-03-2014, 04:10 PM
The fact remains, the guy looked full of confidence on Sat. Composed when he had the ball, his crosses were consistently excellent and only a brilliant point-blank save stopped him from scoring.

A totally different Wotherspoon played away to Kilmarnock in the replayed match at the end of last season.

Won't argue that we were wrong to let him go, but he had a great game on Sat.

Speedy
25-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Worth remembering he's a St Johnstone fan, you'd expect him to be more up for it.

For whatever reason it wasn't working out for him at hibs.

Jones28
25-03-2014, 08:26 AM
He was pish for us a lot of the time. If he has moved away and found a new lease of life then good luck to him. Hibs.net in ex player thread shocker

ballengeich
25-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Technically, we didn't let him go. He was offered a contract on reduced terms, but preferred the alternative offer from St Johnstone. I'd have liked him to stay.

Winston Ingram
25-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Very talented boy. He was probably hindered by the quality and number of managers we had as well as the number of donkeys that lined up beside him. Pissing about with his position never helped either. He was a CM. Can't ever remember him playing there for us

TheFamous1875
25-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Very talented boy. He was probably hindered by the quality and number of managers we had as well as the number of donkeys that lined up beside him. Pissing about with his position never helped either. He was a CM. Can't ever remember him playing there for us

He's been playing on the left wing for St Johnstone all season, I'm sure. Wears #10 jersey as well.

I would've kept him on the same deal. He's extremely frustrating, but has quality to be utilised.

We aren't any better off with him gone, we're worse. We haven't brought in anyone better. I think Craig was meant to be that man, but that really hasn't worked out which is a shame because he showed consistent quality for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Voice Of Reason
25-03-2014, 11:35 AM
This thread just highlights how bad we are at the moment!

Wotherspoon was mostly very poor (I am being kind) when he played for us - if you don't believe me have a trawl through the old "Player Ratings" threads.

Good luck to him at St J as he is a nice lad...........but we need (and don't currently have sadly) much better.

Ronniekirk
25-03-2014, 09:44 PM
He's been playing on the left wing for St Johnstone all season, I'm sure. Wears #10 jersey as well.

I would've kept him on the same deal. He's extremely frustrating, but has quality to be utilised.

We aren't any better off with him gone, we're worse. We haven't brought in anyone better. I think Craig was meant to be that man, but that really hasn't worked out which is a shame because he showed consistent quality for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
He played well against St Mirren tonight and was going by players out wide and dragging ball back and cutting Did that consistently throughout game .

sven nil
25-03-2014, 10:09 PM

Well done to Spoony for moving. Probbaly the best thing for his career and now he's playing for a manager who sees his worth. He's played in Europe, albeit briefly, is playing in his preferred position, playing for a top six team and I'm sure wont be shunned by their manager if the Saints reach a major cup final. Yes bud spot on, Only hibs could get rid of a Scotland u21 who on a poor game would standout in this team and all for the crime of wanting wanting a extra few quid a month.