PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Next Chairman?

Waxy
23-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Not as easy as Hibs next manager huh? Or Hibs next goalkeeper.
who do you want as our next Chairman/woman/person?

I haven't a clue myself.

TRC
23-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Mad Valor Vim Iron,might be a struggle though.

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Chairmen can only make a club a success if they are backed by an owner with a burning passion to see the club succeed. Without that it doesn't matter who the chairman is. It might as well be me.

jdships
23-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Chairmen can only make a club a success if they are backed by an owner with a burning passion to see the club succeed. Without that it doesn't matter who the chairman is. It might as well be me.

Serious question !
Your point is ? :confused:

Viva_Palmeiras
23-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Serious question !
Your point is ? :confused:

I think he's saying the wrong question is being asked here.

matty_f
23-03-2014, 07:36 PM

I disagree, in fact I think a "dis-interested" owner gives the chairman carte-blanche to be as ambitious as he/she likes, they just have to be able to fund the ambition through income generated.

If you have someone at the top (not the owner) who can get their finance people to bring in more money and cut the right costs, and get their customer service people to get more people to enjoy better service,and in doing so fund their football people to deliver better football results, then they will (eventually) realise their ambition.

The owner can just sit back and watch in that scenario.

sleeping giant
23-03-2014, 07:44 PM
I disagree, in fact I think a "dis-interested" owner gives the chairman carte-blanche to be as ambitious as he/she likes, they just have to be able to fund the ambition through income generated.

If you have someone at the top (not the owner) who can get their finance people to bring in more money and cut the right costs, and get their customer service people to get more people to enjoy better service,and in doing so fund their football people to deliver better football results, then they will (eventually) realise their ambition.

Word of the week :greengrin

jdships
23-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Agree with what you write
For so many football club "owners" the club is a play thing /ego trip .
The buck stops totally with the Chairman .
I know the owner of a Conference League team who are dong very well at this time . He bought the club for around £30,000 has little or no money to put into it but the Chairman/Board , who own between them 19% of the shares, has worked wonders with raising sponsorship/funding based on the " community club " take .
The owner seriously looks on the club as somewhere nice to go on a Saturday afternoon and it helps to lift his profile locally !!!

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2014, 07:57 PM

I haven't a clue myself.

If it's going to make as much difference as replacing the manager I don't really care! Christ with a new chairman we'll be expecting Champions League.

Ronniekirk
23-03-2014, 09:57 PM

I haven't a clue myself.

Chairman of the Board Give me just a little more time .Great single from 70 s :rolleyes:

sleeping giant
23-03-2014, 10:08 PM

I haven't a clue myself.

Had anyone ever heard of any of our chairman before they took the helm at Hibs ?

RIP
23-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I personally believe the right candidate is already at the club - if Rod could but see it.

Jonnyboy
23-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I personally believe the right candidate is already at the club - if Rod could but see it.

Maybe you should give Rod a hint G? :greengrin

FifeHibernian
24-03-2014, 02:06 AM

Who's that and why...?

Nailrod
24-03-2014, 04:32 AM

The owner can just sit back and watch in that scenario.Agreed x 1000.

If Hibs were playing good entertaining football, sitting near the top of the league, threatening to win trophies, playing in front of crowds of 14 or 15 thousand, and signing or bringing through quality players who were moving up in the game and could be sold on at a profit, we wouldn't need 'bailing out' and we'd have no need of a sugar daddy to dip into his own pocket to do it.

In answer to the OP, (IMHO of course) the issue about the next chairman is one of the worst indictments of Rod's tenure. After twenty years at the helm, there appears to be a total vacuum as far as the succession is concerned.

HibeesLA
24-03-2014, 04:48 AM
Had anyone ever heard of any of our chairman before they took the helm at Hibs ?

Yep, Tom O'Malley. He was my Head Teacher at school.

Weststandwanab
24-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Serious question !
Your point is ? :confused:There is not one.

The owner can just sit back and watch in that scenario. That seems to have worked in the last twenty years.

I personally believe the right candidate is already at the club - if Rod could but see it. Who is that ?

Waxy
24-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Do we have to reach complete failure before a chairman steps aside?
I think it's maybe gone stale a while ago and we're now seeing the effects.Just a guess.

oregonhibby
24-03-2014, 07:03 AM
I think it's maybe gone stale a while ago and we're now seeing the effects.Just a guess.

Like most things in life there needs to be recognition of the issue before the incumbent can make it better. The character of the Club reflects the leader and the staff who work there. Rod needs help and challenge from his board, there is at least one organisational expert there. He needs to listen and make positive changes. Everyone I have talked to who have left talks about the negative culture within the Club. Ultimately if there is continued failure then the only way to change the culture is to change the people.

Another bottom six finish and a manager telling us we are in a relegation fight. If that is not a clear signal to the Chairman and the Board, nothing is.

Nailrod
24-03-2014, 07:12 AM
I think it's maybe gone stale a while ago and we're now seeing the effects.Just a guess.Rod's role as a billy big boots in the SFA is obviously dependent on his position as Chairman at Hibs. He ain't going anywhere soon.

The Falcon
24-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Rod's role as a billy big boots in the SFA is obviously dependent on his position as Chairman at Hibs. He ain't going anywhere soon.

He isnt going anywhere because Tom Farmer dosent want him to. Simple as that and diddly squat to do with the SFA or anyone else.

Waxy
24-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Well the conclusion i'm coming to(imo) is that it has to be the peope running the club draining something(confidence or whatever) from the Employees.These are all players/managers who seem to have hit their lowest form whilst at Us, and it seems to have happened to a great number of people.
So time for a change at the top.

Nailrod
24-03-2014, 07:36 AM
He isnt going anywhere because Tom Farmer dosent want him to. Simple as that and diddly squat to with the SFA or anyone else.Farmer can't force him into staying, any more than he can force me into turning up to watch a match.

Petrie stays because he chooses to stay. And IMHO he chooses to stay not for any benefit that he brings to Hibs, but because he likes being a big shot in the SFA. Any man of integrity who had presided over seven years of abject failure, as he has done, wouldn't need to be forced out.

oregonhibby
24-03-2014, 07:38 AM
He isnt going anywhere because Tom Farmer dosent want him to. Simple as that and diddly squat to with the SFA or anyone else.

He is protecting the major shareholders investment - or put another way keeping the coat off an expensive shoogly nail - and you can't blame him for that as he has done a great job. The one fundamental difference here is that the other businesses in the portfolio aim for customer delight as well as being well run. Football is an emotional as well as a rational business. The emotional intelligence here is non existent.

As to the SFA, one of the key criteria appears to be that only officials from smaller teams appear to gain high office. Perhaps there is a connection here! I am also being told (and no it is not my brother who knows the cleaner of someone who works in the garage that services the Chief Executive's car) that his stock is reducing among key teams in the Association.

The Falcon
24-03-2014, 08:14 AM
He is protecting the major shareholders investment - or put another way keeping the coat off an expensive shoogly nail - and you can't blame him for that as he has done a great job. The one fundamental difference here is that the other businesses in the portfolio aim for customer delight as well as being well run. Football is an emotional as well as a rational business. The emotional intelligence here is non existent.

He is very unlikely to get back what he has put in IMO so protectng him from further losses may be more accurate.

oregonhibby
24-03-2014, 08:35 AM
I think the next Chairman is sitting on the Board now.

Weststandwanab
24-03-2014, 09:07 AM
I think it's maybe gone stale a while ago and we're now seeing the effects.Just a guess. What circumstances would complete failure be ?

He isnt going anywhere because Tom Farmer dosent want him to. Simple as that and diddly squat to do with the SFA or anyone else. Nail on the head.

Well the conclusion i'm coming to(imo) is that it has to be the peope running the club draining something(confidence or whatever) from the Employees.These are all players/managers who seem to have hit their lowest form whilst at Us, and it seems to have happened to a great number of people.
So time for a change at the top. Could you bell Sir Tom an tell him please ?

ekhibee
24-03-2014, 09:39 AM

I haven't a clue myself.
I nominate Nae Bovril as the next chairman, he kind o volunteered!

Finbar
24-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Don't know who would replace Rod but for me it's definitely time for a change. He has his strengths and weaknesses like anyone, I just think when you've been there as long as he has you need to change it to keep it fresh. Trouble is I don't think he can see that.

Waxy
24-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Complete failure to me would be finishing 11th this year or fighting relegatation for the next couple of seasons.
Imo

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Anybody mentioned Pat Nevin yet, or have we moved on from all that?

bigwheel
24-03-2014, 11:08 AM
I think the likelihood of Rod stepping down before he can turn his 10 percent holding into cash is unlikely ...

Hibercelona
24-03-2014, 11:11 AM
The emotional intelligence here is non existent.

And therein lies the problem.

It's just a numbers game to Petrie and the board. They don't go through the kind of motions that we do.

We could get hammered in our next home game. But as long as there are enough fans there to pay the bills, Rod can walk away with a wry smile on his face.

Mikeystewart
24-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Leeann Dempster from Motherwell, seems to have good relationship with the media, finances and a good record of managerial appointments.

--------
24-03-2014, 11:25 AM

It's quite normal in football these days for a club to be owned by a businessman but not run by him - he appoints a chairman/CEO who runs the club on his behalf. It makes sense - the owner has a number of other business interests, all run by chairmen and boards responsible to the owner.

The problem at Easter Road seems to me to be that the present chairman/CEO has been here too long. He's achieved a great deal - the complete renewal of the club's stadium and training facilities while maintaining the club's financial stability. I'm not denying Rod the credit for this, but I do think it's time for him and Hibs to part company and move on. We need a genuinely new vision, and a chairman who can communicate that vision and get the fans onside and behind the team and manager.

The club's in a repetitive pattern of appointing a manager, financing him in clearing out the last manager's players and bringing in the first draft of his own, those players under-performing, the fans becoming resentful and hostile, the manager leaving, a new manager appointed, and so on and so on, apparently ad infinitum.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, it seems that the chairman is content with this situation. The owner too.

Hibs are in a cycle of slow decline which in its own way seems to me to be as potentially lethal to the fortunes and continuing existence of the club in the Scottish Premiership as any of the machinations of cowboy owners like Green and Romanov. It's just taking longer.

This is NOT to suggest that either Sir Tom Farmer or Rod Petrie are in any way similar to the aforesaid cowboys - far from it. The one thing we can say about them both is that they've conducted Hibs' business with integrity and honesty throughout.

But the in my opinion club needs a change of leadership and direction NOW. Too long we've heard the message - buy your season tickets and finance next year's transfer business. This couples investment in the team to the fans' willingness to fork out increasingly large sums of money on trust in the willingness of the board and chairman (and owner) to provide a team to watch.

It's a bit like me going to Tesco and finding loads of empty shelves, and Tesco asking me to shell out up front before they put any goods on those shelves, because they can't be expected to invest in stock unless they're assured of a known income to budget for their investment. I'm not going to do that - I'm going to go to Morrisons, or ASDA, or Waitrose, or Sainsbury, or whoever isn't Tesco.

There's no leadership at ER, folks. When did we last hear someone say something like, hey, guys, get your STs quick, we're signing these guys and they're good players well worth paying to see - and actually signing players who are good and well-worth paying to see. For all the criticism he got, at least the much-maligned Pat Fenlon brought us Jorge Claros and Leigh Griffiths, both class acts. The last one before them was probably Sol Bamba.

I'm sorry to say it, but I no longer trust the "vision" of Sir Tom and Rod to lead Hibs forward. I honestly don't know what their "vision" is - if they have one at all, that is. And I will not pay money, hard-earned BTW, to finance the process of watching Hibs mimicking the ever-decreasing death-spiral of the late-lamented Oozlum Bird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oozlum_bird

One final additional thought - if Terry and Mo leave within the usual time-scale, around this time next year if not before, we really will be right up Ordure Creek in a leaky canoe and no paddles.

Stantons Angel
24-03-2014, 11:48 AM
If it's going to make as much difference as replacing the manager I don't really care! Christ with a new chairman we'll be expecting Champions League.

Here lies the answer!

The expectations of the supporters always pushes on ahead of what can be achieved and us Hibs supporters are always way way up there above team chairman owner and club!

I think the question is really irrelevant in the circumstances that Farmer owns the club and any new chairman would need to be appointed by him. he is not going to give carte blanche to anyone that may bring the club to its knees as it was when he took over.

Im not saying that money doesnt have to be spent on the field of play, not at all. We have a sound financial base, own our own stadium, training ground and not too much a deficit in footballing terms on the accounts.

Like you all i ve sat for a good few seasons watching poor poor Hibs teams play and getting more and more frustrated each season as we fail to reach any potential1

The time has now come to sort out the playing staff and we all know that takes money, we have a large support out there that turn out in numbers each time we go to Hampden for cup finals etc If we are not playing attractive football they wont come and spend their hard earned money.

Farmer and Petrie need to realise they will have to take their chances in the transfer market for two or three tried and tested players of an acceptable standard. Im sure Butcher is not the type of man who will sit and take the crap Petrie gives him about purse strings etc. He is a winner (even though he is English and a Hun) he will i believe stand up to the owner and his chairman and look to them to support him in his efforts.

Too long have Hibs sat in the shadows waiting for time to turn its time to go out there and make it happen, stop being sheep and become lions fighting for the club and its supporters!

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Farmer and Petrie need to realise they will have to take their chances in the transfer market for two or three tried and tested players of an acceptable standard. Im sure Butcher is not the type of man who will sit and take the crap Petrie gives him about purse strings etc. He is a winner (even though he is English and a Hun) he will i believe stand up to the owner and his chairman and look to them to support him in his efforts.

Too long have Hibs sat in the shadows waiting for time to turn its time to go out there and make it happen, stop being sheep and become lions fighting for the club and its supporters!

Farmer doesn't need to realise anything. The deal was: I save your club (which you are begging me to do); you never get in debt again; I have nothing to do with running the club, I'm not really interested in football.

The fans need to realise that, unless they find someone better, all their bleating about Farmer is just the grumblings of the terminally inadequate. You want power, then take it, he's not standing in anyone's way.

As for the bit in bold, it's a wee bit too Yammish for me. (Not saying you're a Yam by the way, I think that would be going too far).

Sorry to go off on one, but having gone through Hibs almost shutting once, I'm very cautious about fan led initiatives.

greenpaper55
24-03-2014, 12:31 PM
It's quite normal in football these days for a club to be owned by a businessman but not run by him - he appoints a chairman/CEO who runs the club on his behalf. It makes sense - the owner has a number of other business interests, all run by chairmen and boards responsible to the owner.

The problem at Easter Road seems to me to be that the present chairman/CEO has been here too long. He's achieved a great deal - the complete renewal of the club's stadium and training facilities while maintaining the club's financial stability. I'm not denying Rod the credit for this, but I do think it's time for him and Hibs to part company and move on. We need a genuinely new vision, and a chairman who can communicate that vision and get the fans onside and behind the team and manager.

The club's in a repetitive pattern of appointing a manager, financing him in clearing out the last manager's players and bringing in the first draft of his own, those players under-performing, the fans becoming resentful and hostile, the manager leaving, a new manager appointed, and so on and so on, apparently ad infinitum.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, it seems that the chairman is content with this situation. The owner too.

Hibs are in a cycle of slow decline which in its own way seems to me to be as potentially lethal to the fortunes and continuing existence of the club in the Scottish Premiership as any of the machinations of cowboy owners like Green and Romanov. It's just taking longer.

This is NOT to suggest that either Sir Tom Farmer or Rod Petrie are in any way similar to the aforesaid cowboys - far from it. The one thing we can say about them both is that they've conducted Hibs' business with integrity and honesty throughout.

But the in my opinion club needs a change of leadership and direction NOW. Too long we've heard the message - buy your season tickets and finance next year's transfer business. This couples investment in the team to the fans' willingness to fork out increasingly large sums of money on trust in the willingness of the board and chairman (and owner) to provide a team to watch.

It's a bit like me going to Tesco and finding loads of empty shelves, and Tesco asking me to shell out up front before they put any goods on those shelves, because they can't be expected to invest in stock unless they're assured of a known income to budget for their investment. I'm not going to do that - I'm going to go to Morrisons, or ASDA, or Waitrose, or Sainsbury, or whoever isn't Tesco.

There's no leadership at ER, folks. When did we last hear someone say something like, hey, guys, get your STs quick, we're signing these guys and they're good players well worth paying to see - and actually signing players who are good and well-worth paying to see. For all the criticism he got, at least the much-maligned Pat Fenlon brought us Jorge Claros and Leigh Griffiths, both class acts. The last one before them was probably Sol Bamba.

I'm sorry to say it, but I no longer trust the "vision" of Sir Tom and Rod to lead Hibs forward. I honestly don't know what their "vision" is - if they have one at all, that is. And I will not pay money, hard-earned BTW, to finance the process of watching Hibs mimicking the ever-decreasing death-spiral of the late-lamented Oozlum Bird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oozlum_bird

One final additional thought - if Terry and Mo leave within the usual time-scale, around this time next year if not before, we really will be right up Ordure Creek in a leaky canoe and no paddles.

:top marksAgree with everything you have said but the big question is how do we change things for the better ?, it would seem the twosome are there for ever and only something cataclysmic like ill health or relegation even is going to make them change their tack. The way we are going is like death by a thousand cuts but you can bet your boots we will not make a loss even then, if ST's are way down we will just cut the cloth again accordingly and what's on display can only be imagined !. Every year some more of the core support is lost, maybe not in huge numbers but it is being chipped away nevertheless and i think we could all name supporters who have turned their backs on the team in the last few years.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2014, 12:37 PM
:top marksAgree with everything you have said but the big question is how do we change things for the better ?, it would seem the twosome are there for ever and only something cataclysmic like ill health or relegation even is going to make them change their tack. The way we are going is like death by a thousand cuts but you can bet your boots we will not make a loss even then, if ST's are way down we will just cut the cloth again accordingly and what's on display can only be imagined !. Every year some more of the core support is lost, maybe not in huge numbers but it is being chipped away nevertheless and i think we could all name supporters who have turned their backs on the team in the last few years.

It would be great if somebody could do graphs that show the fluctuation in the core support season by season. That way we could discuss whether there really is a problem there, or whether it is just a perception.

Otherwise, how can we tell whether a wee bit more gets chipped away every season?

--------
24-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Farmer doesn't need to realise anything. The deal was: I save your club (which you are begging me to do); you never get in debt again; I have nothing to do with running the club, I'm not really interested in football.

The fans need to realise that, unless they find someone better, all their bleating about Farmer is just the grumblings of the terminally inadequate. You want power, then take it, he's not standing in anyone's way.

Like I said - it's now perfectly normal for the owner of a football club to appoint a chairman/CEO to run the club, leaving the owner free to take care of his other interests, or even just to enjoy retirement or semi-retirement with his/her family and friends. Or head off on his yacht to the Caribbean to live the sweet life.

Rod Petrie has done a fine job of renewing the entire material infrastructure of Hibernian FC. New training-ground, new stadium one of the best in Scotland if not Britain, and financial stability and financial probity preserved throughout.

I have no arguments about that. But I ma becoming increasingly frustrated and angry at the way Hibs have repeatedly failed to use the opportunities these improvements represent to advance the cause of the team on the pitch, which (unless I've been completely misled for the past 50 years) is the whole point of a football club.

The Team On The Pitch.

There are too many recurring themes here.

Managers who come in, show promise, then fail to deliver on that promise. Or come in and just fail.

Players who arrive, show promise, then fail to deliver on that promise. Or come in and just fail.

Money spent in transfer deals for no improvement discernible whatsoever.

And I have to say it - a great big gaping space at the top of the club, where the leadership and vision and purpose should be.

All my opinion, but I'm increasingly not alone in saying these things.

I've been a big critic of our owner and his chairman, and truthfully, I don't want to be. I know well what STF did for the club and supporters back in the day, and what he continues to provide. Financial backing, stability, and probity.

What I am concerned about is the repeating spiral of promise and failure we've been in for about 7 years now, which is in its own way lethally dangerous to the life of the club as we know it and love it.

We need to break that spiral, because a spiral leads nowhere - or worse than nowhere - see "Oozlum Bird" above.

IMO the fans need to become less demanding, more supportive, maybe even more forgiving. It can't be easy playing at ER in front of some of the Foghorn Leghorns who adorn the stands there.

But right now the only feedback I get for being a Hibee is heartache and frustration, and I've got enough of that already. I'm not paying £25 a time for another two-hour dose, plus highlights on TV and the argy-bargy on here.

easty
24-03-2014, 12:38 PM
I want the next chairman to not back the managers we have financially. Petrie has been backing the managers and that's clearly not working. We should give the managers no money to spend. That's got to be the way forward. The next chairman should pick the players the manager is allowed to sign.

I also want the next chairman to interfere with team matters. Petrie has been too lazy to interfere. If we arent getting results on the pitch then why isnt the chairman along at East Mains, in a trackie, encouraging the players to be better. I want a chairman who doesn't let the manager get on with his job.

I also want the next chairman to not care about the finances, at all. Petrie has cared too much on that front, but what's the point. Good training facilities, pfft...get them training at Leith Links, it's too easy for them at East Mains. We should definitely spend loads of money, on 3 or 4 really good players, that we could quite clearly bring in from someone. Not STF obviously, cos he's a rubbish owner (I hate it when rich people don't want to waste their money, I'm poor and I waste mines, they should obv do the same) so we should get a new one of those too. The next chairman should easily be able to find some savvy businessman looking to invest some of their hard-earned money in a Scottish football team. You don't get anywhere in the business world without knowing you'll get a healthy return on your investment in a Scottish football team.

And I want the next chairman to not have a moustache. Petrie has a moustache and he's just rubbish.

Peevemor
24-03-2014, 12:39 PM
I want the next chairman to not back the managers we have financially. Petrie has been backing the managers and that's clearly not working. We should give the managers no money to spend. That's got to be the way forward. The next chairman should pick the players the manager is allowed to sign.

I also want the next chairman to interfere with team matters. Petrie has been too lazy to interfere. If we arent getting results on the pitch then why isnt the chairman along at East Mains, in a trackie, encouraging the players to be better. I want a chairman who doesn't let the manager get on with his job.

I also want the next chairman to not care about the finances, at all. Petrie has cared too much on that front, but what's the point. Good training facilities, pfft...get them training at Leith Links, it's too easy for them at East Mains. We should definitely spend loads of money, on 3 or 4 really good players, that we could quite clearly bring in from someone. Not STF obviously, cos he's a rubbish owner (I hate it when rich people don't want to waste their money, I'm poor and I waste mines, they should obv do the same) so we should get a new one of those too. The next chairman should easily be able to find some savvy businessman looking to invest some of their hard-earned money in a Scottish football team. You don't get anywhere in the business world without knowing you'll get a healthy return on your investment in a Scottish football team.

And I want the next chairman to not have a moustache. Petrie has a moustache and he's just rubbish.

All makes ense to me. :agree:

easty
24-03-2014, 12:40 PM
There are too many recurring themes here.

Managers who come in, show promise, then fail to deliver on that promise. Or come in and just fail.

Players who arrive, show promise, then fail to deliver on that promise. Or come in and just fail.

Money spent in transfer deals for no improvement discernible whatsoever.

And I have to say it - a great big gaping space at the top of the club, where the leadership and vision and purpose should be.

I wonder Doddie, with a different chairman, how would any of the above be different?

--------
24-03-2014, 12:47 PM
I wonder Doddie, with a different chairman, how would any of the above be different?

So we're what, caught in a time-warp where we're doomed to go on and on repeating and repeating the same mistakes?

If RP can lead change at Hibs, then fine. If he can break us out of the pattern of 18-month managers and constant changes of personnel on the pitch, fine. I'm not convinced he can.

But if I were to be convinced, he would have my complete support. It's not about personalities; it's about the principles of good club management and directorship.

Collins. Paatelainen. Hughes. Calderwood. Fenlon. Now Butcher. Who'll be next, and when?

easty
24-03-2014, 12:52 PM
So we're what, caught in a time-warp where we're doomed to go on and on repeating and repeating the same mistakes?

If RP can lead change at Hibs, then fine. If he can break us out of the pattern of 18-month managers and constant changes of personnel on the pitch, fine. I'm not convinced he can.

But if I were to be convinced, he would have my complete support. It's not about personalities; it's about the principles of good club management and directorship.

Collins. Paatelainen. Hughes. Calderwood. Fenlon. Now Butcher. Who'll be next, and when?

It's not his job to sign the players and pick the team though. That's the job of the managers, and they've failed at it miserably. If Petrie had consistently picked awful managers then gave them no money to do the job, then I could understand they fervour to get rid of him.

As far as I'm concerned though, he's backed the managers, and the only appointment I wasn't sure about was Fenlon.

stantonhibby
24-03-2014, 12:57 PM
And therein lies the problem.

It's just a numbers game to Petrie and the board. They don't go through the kind of motions that we do.

We could get hammered in our next home game. But as long as there are enough fans there to pay the bills, Rod can walk away with a wry smile on his face.

Even by your own high standards you really have cranked up the drivelometer this weekend.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Even by your own high standards you really have cranked up the drivelometer this weekend.

:hibees

Stantons Angel
24-03-2014, 01:56 PM

As for the bit in bold, it's a wee bit too Yammish for me. (Not saying you're a Yam by the way, I think that would be going too far).

Sorry to go off on one, but having gone through Hibs almost shutting once, I'm very cautious about fan led initiatives.

Yes i think that would be far to much an insult on the 50+ years ive supported Hibs if you dared call me a "yam".

Im not advocating fan led initiatives and i agree with the things you refer back to Farmer.

All i want is some one at the Chairman level who knows about football, Petrie tried this when he made Lindsay chairman responsible for the footballing side of the business.

That didnt work at all well and he took back the position in another shake up of the board.

All i want is for Hibs to remain solvent in this high charged atmosphere of clubs going out of business. BUT i also want a team who know what it means to pull that jersey over their heads. Who know the hopes of the support paying every week to see them doing their jobs!

We are on a never ending circle of disappointment at the moment and have been for too long.

Just what the answer is i just dont know but i do know that even i am getting so fed up with it!!!

--------
24-03-2014, 01:59 PM
It's not his job to sign the players and pick the team though. That's the job of the managers, and they've failed at it miserably. If Petrie had consistently picked awful managers then gave them no money to do the job, then I could understand they fervour to get rid of him.

As far as I'm concerned though, he's backed the managers, and the only appointment I wasn't sure about was Fenlon.

Last time I looked, football was a result-driven industry.

Petrie may well have done everything right according to the manual of business practice. The results have been dire, though, and to apply the Lady Bracknell Principle - "To appoint one unsuccessful manager might be considered misfortune; to appoint five one after the other (with the jury out on #6) looks very much like carelessness (or incompetence?) ...

RIP
24-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure we need to be discussing the chairman role.

What we actually need is a full-time CEO or MD. Rod started succession planning in 2008 when he appointed Scott Lindsay then Fife Hyland. They both handed in their notice which when you look at their decision in hindsight adds to our plight.

5 managers and 2 CEO's lost in 7 years. Add to that several dozen players.

If a company has a high staff turnover over such a short space of time they end up with a poor reputation.

In the same time frame Motherwell recruited Leeann Dempster. If anyone needs a single example of the value add of a good CEO it's there for all to see.

We cut our cloth too tight and have paid the price.

J-C
24-03-2014, 02:54 PM

The problem you have is a chairman who's happy to sit mid table and balance the books, there is no drive and determination from above, which then shows in how we play. Aberdeen have decided to invest in the team with a good proven manager, their results speak for themselves, the chairman was fed up with mediocrity, said so in an interview I heard.

jakeshibs
24-03-2014, 03:25 PM
The problem you have is a chairman who's happy to sit mid table and balance the books, there is no drive and determination from above, which then shows in how we play. Aberdeen have decided to invest in the team with a good proven manager, their results speak for themselves, the chairman was fed up with mediocrity, said so in an interview I heard.

I am assuming that you have heard RP say he is happy with mid table and poor performances on the pitch. I have never ever heard him say that and as some one else stated if you turn this question on its head and look at what is right with our club, its a lot down to RP!

--------
24-03-2014, 04:09 PM

What we actually need is a full-time CEO or MD. Rod started succession planning in 2008 when he appointed Scott Lindsay then Fife Hyland. They both handed in their notice which when you look at their decision in hindsight adds to our plight.

If a company has a high staff turnover over such a short space of time they end up with a poor reputation.

In the same time frame Motherwell recruited Leeann Dempster. If anyone needs a single example of the value add of a good CEO it's there for all to see.

Now an appointment like that one ....

LD's sorted out a whole lot of things at Fir Park, as well as lifting a lot of peripheral responsibilities from McCall's shoulders, freeing him to concentrate on the team. They have a very good positive working relationship too, I've been told.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2014, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;3941410]

Yes i think that would be far to much an insult on the 50+ years ive supported Hibs if you dared call me a "yam".

Im not advocating fan led initiatives and i agree with the things you refer back to Farmer.

All i want is some one at the Chairman level who knows about football, Petrie tried this when he made Lindsay chairman responsible for the footballing side of the business.

That didnt work at all well and he took back the position in another shake up of the board.

All i want is for Hibs to remain solvent in this high charged atmosphere of clubs going out of business. BUT i also want a team who know what it means to pull that jersey over their heads. Who know the hopes of the support paying every week to see them doing their jobs!

We are on a never ending circle of disappointment at the moment and have been for too long.

Just what the answer is i just dont know but i do know that even i am getting so fed up with it!!!

Honestly, I wasn't calling you a Yam. I agree with everything you say, and wish we weren't in such a rut.

Kaiser1962
24-03-2014, 08:30 PM

It is also worth remembering that in 2003 Hibs and Hearts were in very similar financial positions.

Kaiser1962
24-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Aberdeen have had losses of £28.5m between their last LC win in 1996 and this one. It may be that Milne is picking that up and if he is good luck to him but the only thing that has changed at Aberdeen is the personnel. There has been no calculated master plan.

Jonnyboy
24-03-2014, 08:39 PM

You have to wonder why? Is it perhaps because their vision for Hibs didn't meet Rod's approval?

smurf
24-03-2014, 10:20 PM
You have to wonder why? Is it perhaps because their vision for Hibs didn't meet Rod's approval?

Am I correct in saying Rod only works part time now for the club? It begs the question just what were Scott and Fyfe doing?

Jonnyboy
24-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Am I correct in saying Rod only works part time now for the club? It begs the question just what were Scott and Fyfe doing?

Not sure K. Others may know?

sleeping giant
24-03-2014, 10:24 PM

***** Smurfy :greengrin Where the **** have you been ? In the jail ?:flag:

smurf
24-03-2014, 10:30 PM

If I was persuaded to adopt a starving child I wouldn't do so on the condition that my side of the deal was to just ensure that child was fed. I would be duty bound to ensure that I created the best conditions within my means that were conducive to enabling that child to fulfil all their potential.

smurf
24-03-2014, 10:32 PM
***** Smurfy :greengrin Where the **** have you been ? In the jail ?:flag:

Unfortunately suffering like the rest of us...

RIP
24-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Their duties have been spread around the rest of the directors.

Renfrew_Hibby
24-03-2014, 10:45 PM

Did nobody see recently on SSN there was some meeting at FIFA HQ and there was the bold Rodders in his SFA blazer smirking with Blatter and co.
He doesn't give a flying what's going on at Hibs, he's now a suit at FIFA. We gave him his passport to the top and now we are redundant.

easty
24-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Did nobody see recently on SSN there was some meeting at FIFA HQ and there was the bold Rodders in his SFA blazer smirking with Blatter and co.
He doesn't give a flying what's going on at Hibs, he's now a suit at FIFA. We gave him his passport to the top and now we are redundant.

:faf:

smurf
24-03-2014, 11:51 PM

Most are non executive? We are lacking proper leadership off the park.

Nailrod
25-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Did nobody see recently on SSN there was some meeting at FIFA HQ and there was the bold Rodders in his SFA blazer smirking with Blatter and co. He doesn't give a flying what's going on at Hibs, he's now a suit at FIFA. This.

We gave him his passport to the top and now we are redundant.Unfortunately, not this. Rod's suit at FIFA is dependent on his suit at the SFA, which in turn is dependent on his position as Chairman at Hibs. We are stuck with him for the duration.

jakeshibs
25-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Most are non executive? We are lacking proper leadership off the park.

think we are lacking leadership on the park! off the park we are in good position probably the best out with the OF.....

smurf
25-03-2014, 01:01 AM
think we are lacking leadership on the park! off the park we are in good position probably the best out with the OF.....

Well it's obvious that we are bereft of leadership on the park. However, I think there's a correlation between that and off the park. There's an established trend...

Mikeystewart
25-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Am I correct in saying Rod only works part time now for the club? It begs the question just what were Scott and Fyfe doing?.

Must have spent the working week playing long bangers at ER, would partially explain the dire state of the pitch.

RIP
25-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Sorry Jake but that is not my definition of leadership. Leadership, man-management, motivation, team working, culture, performance, hard work, energy and fitness starts at the top of an organisation and filters down.

Many of our rivals have this to lesser or greater degrees but the majority are much more successful than Hibs. Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone are all examples of clubs run by talented businessmen / CEO's with strong track records at building up customer/product centered businesses.

We have these talents on the board but not in the key role that wields the power. It's the worst-kept secret in Scottish Football. We need a new Chief Executive in order to compete with our rivals in the top six.

This link says everything more succinctly than I

http://blog.grow-your-business.co.uk/performance-lessons-from-a-scottish-cup-humiliation/

jakeshibs
26-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Sorry Jake but that is without doubt the most naive comment of the week. Leadership, man-management, motivation, team working, culture, performance, hard work, energy and fitness starts at the top of an organisation and filters down.

Many of our rivals have this to lesser or greater degrees but the majority are much more successful than Hibs. Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone are all examples of clubs run by talented businessmen / CEO's with strong track records at building up customer/product centered businesses.

We have these talents on the board but not in the key role that wields the power. It's the worst-kept secret in Scottish Football. We need a new Chief Executive in order to compete with our rivals in the top six.

This link says everything more succinctly than I

http://blog.grow-your-business.co.uk/performance-lessons-from-a-scottish-cup-humiliation/

Gogs I am not saying there is not a concern, but off the pitch we are leading the way and the envy of many.
As someone who has spent the last 26 years teaching leadership and management, motivation, hard work fitness in a environment where you life depends on it and I have witnessed a few good and bad practises and was solely responsible for 570 individuals. The Queen was head of my organisation and had nothing to do with its ethos or day to day running (example)

Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein , etc did what they do best and instilled the winning mentality from the bottom up, they made their success from their hard work, there is as many stories from sport and industry of examples of this, however responsibility lies at all levels (in my humble opinion)

Hibs as a business is ok(healthy) as a competitive football club we are poor(frustratingly poor) and below the standard, I would never disagree with that, its the team that matters to me I want to see winning team winning matches, being inspired, getting off my seat to see entertaining football and hard working football players that I am proud of.

I have supported hibs for 40 years, however will support them till I die(born a Hibby die a Hibby), I have trust and faith in TB to get this right

sorry for the long post, like many frustrated and only want the best for our club, sorry if you think I come cross naive just my opinion ..

J-C
26-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Gogs I am not saying there is not a concern, but off the pitch we are leading the way and the envy of many.
As someone who has spent the last 26 years teaching leadership and management, motivation, hard work fitness in a environment where you life depends on it and I have witnessed a few good and bad practises and was solely responsible for 570 individuals. The Queen was head of my organisation and had nothing to do with its ethos or day to day running (example)

Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein , etc did what they do best and instilled the winning mentality from the bottom up, they made their success from their hard work, there is as many stories from sport and industry of examples of this, however responsibility lies at all levels (in my humble opinion)

Hibs as a business is ok(healthy) as a competitive football club we are poor(frustratingly poor) and below the standard, I would never disagree with that, its the team that matters to me I want to see winning team winning matches, being inspired, getting off my seat to see entertaining football and hard working football players that I am proud of.

I have supported hibs for 40 years, however will support them till I die(born a Hibby die a Hibby), I have trust and faith in TB to get this right

sorry for the long post, like many frustrated and only want the best for our club, sorry if you think I come cross naive just my opinion ..

They also achieved their success because the club and boards were brave enough to back them, a strong board and chairman will make a strong club, Look at Aberdeens chairman this year, fed up with mediocrity, he got a good manager and backed him in the market, they sit 2nd, with 1 cup win and a chance of another, strength from the top.

jakeshibs
26-03-2014, 05:03 PM
They also achieved their success because the club and boards were brave enough to back them, a strong board and chairman will make a strong club, Look at Aberdeens chairman this year, fed up with mediocrity, he got a good manager and backed him in the market, they sit 2nd, with 1 cup win and a chance of another, strength from the top.

are you saying our managers have not been backed by the board as I disagree?

J-C
26-03-2014, 08:41 PM
are you saying our managers have not been backed by the board as I disagree?

They have been backed yes, but our wage structure has been such that we lose out many times to clubs like Aberdeen etc
The guys in the know will have more details about this but losing out to Adam Rooney because he wanted a longer deal than what we were offering says it all about our chairman's lack of leadership and drive.

RIP
26-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Brill post Jake another oldie like myself. By quoting Alex and Jock you have selected two managerial superstars. If you are an Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes or Steve Lomas you need more than financial backing from your chairman.

You need managed, coached, mentored, given targets and inspired to achieve them. You point out your first picks and your boss moves quickly to secure them.

As a Chairman, you are not judged by how well you choose your manager or CEO. The real skill is in how you develop them in role. If you do your job right they will go on to better things as did the 3 Saints managers above.

Our Chairman has lost 5 managers and 2 CEO's in 6 years. Not one of them left for a better job.

jakeshibs
26-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Brill post Jake another oldie like myself. By quoting Alex and Jock you have selected two managerial superstars. If you are an Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes or Steve Lomas you need more than financial backing.

You need managed, coached, mentored, given targets and inspired to achieve them. You point out your first picks and your boss moves quickly to secure them.

It's not about picking your manager or CEO. The real skill is in how you develop them in role. If you do your job right you will go on to better things as did the 3 Saints managers above.

Our Chairman has lost 5 managers and 2 CEO's in 6 years. Not one of them left for a better job.

Cheers Gogs and like you I have had to endure much worse than this before although am not happy with our current on the pitch performances.

can I ask if you were STF what would you do, don't say plough your own millions in, deal with what we have got?? and please am only asking as I don't have the answer but interested in your views, as only want the team on the park to love Hibs as much as I do!

The Falcon
26-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Am I the only person wondering why, with the problems identified by those on this thread, none of them are stepping forward to take over the club and rectify those issues whilst making themselves rich(er) in the process?

RIP
26-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Cheers Gogs and like you I have had to endure much worse than this before although am not happy with our current on the pitch performances.

Can I ask if you were STF what would you do?

I am only asking as I don't have the answer but interested in your views, as only want the team on the park to love Hibs as much as I do!

Sir Tom in his prime was a fantastic entrepreneur in a business selling a product to customers. His success was all about building a brand and customer satisfaction. So in selecting someone to lead the club I would be looking for a Chief Executive with a good track record in this type of business.

However in order to start looking for a CEO I would have to step back and look at the track record over the past 7 years. From there I would then have to acknowledge that there's a problem. I may focus on the cause behind the high turnover in staff - CEO's, managers, coaching teams and players. I will know intuitively that to build a successful business a business needs a strong core team and continuity as staff move in and out.

If however there was no sign that I was going to change anything, you would not be surprised to see a delegation of supporters groups asking for a face to face meeting with me, as they did in 1990. As custodians of the club, these groups should feel confident to approach me seeking a step change in the leadership at Easter Road and seek the appointment of an energetic, talented CEO to work with Rod and the Board to take the club forward.

GGTTH

Nailrod
26-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Am I the only person wondering why, with the problems identified by those on this thread, none of them are stepping forward to take over the club and rectify those issues whilst making themselves rich(er) in the process?Why should I put my own money at risk?

Petrie's never risked a penny of his.

Saorsa
26-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Why should I put my own money at risk?

Petrie's never risked a penny of his.:agree: It's only ours that's been squandered paying for his mistakes.

The Falcon
27-03-2014, 07:17 AM

What risk?

easty
27-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Rubbish point.

Nailrod
27-03-2014, 12:51 PM
What risk?
The risk that I might appoint five dud managers in a row, end up getting relegated, and lose all my money.

I wouldn't be starting with a £12 million windfall, you see.

Nailrod
27-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Rubbish point.In response to a rubbish post.

The Falcon
27-03-2014, 05:24 PM
The risk that I might appoint five dud managers in a row, end up getting relegated, and lose all my money.

I wouldn't be starting with a £12 million windfall, you see.

Who had a £12m windfall?

My original point was to raise the question with all the answers proposed on this board I was surprised no one had stepped forward to take over, making themselves lots of money in the process.

Mikeystewart
29-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Leeann Dempster from Motherwell, seems to have good relationship with the media, finances and a good record of managerial appointments.

I called it :cb

greenpaper55
29-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I called it :cb

Ha, but you said chairman and she's a wummin so she will be a chairwoman :greengrin

greenpaper55
29-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Ha, but you said chairman and she's a wummin so she will be a chairwoman :greengrin

Or a chairwummin !.

CropleyWasGod
29-04-2014, 10:52 AM

A Pedant writes:-

She will be neither. Rod will remain as chair. She will be Chief Executive.

greenpaper55
29-04-2014, 11:02 AM

:thumbsup:Fair enough,

southsider
29-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Yep, Tom O'Malley. He was my Head Teacher at school.
What about MY old teacher Martin (now Lord) O'Neill. Was on the board for a while. Good Hibs man.

Just Alf
29-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I see there's still some wrangling over Rod still being around... On one hand I get the impression out new Chief Exec is quite a strong person, the other bit is that Rod is in a "non executive" position.... I thought that was quite limited in how hands on he could be? I've seen some people with 5 or 6 non exec posts on the go at the one time (as well as a "proper" job!)?

Jonnyboy
29-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Another pedant agrees :greengrin

Beefster
30-04-2014, 07:36 AM
I see there's still some wrangling over Rod still being around... On one hand I get the impression out new Chief Exec is quite a strong person, the other bit is that Rod is in a "non executive" position.... I thought that was quite limited in how hands on he could be? I've seen some people with 5 or 6 non exec posts on the go at the one time (as well as a "proper" job!)?

That's the point. In theory, Rodders should just become a normal Chairman now. He's just appointed a new (and effective) CEO and the club are presumably paying for here services. There's no need for Rodders to be hand-on (in a day-to-day management sense) any longer.