PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time To Drop The Players Who Are Leaving?

Mikey
22-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I kinda touched on this on the PM board, but surely a team made up of players who will be here next season, and youth players who want to be in the team next season, would give us a better chance of picking up some wins before the end of the campaign.

The manager knows who's likely to be leaving, and no doubt the players do too, so get them on the sidelines and let guys like Black and Baptie into the team and see how they get on. In terms of effort they won't be any worse than we have now.

We'll need to match Hearts for drive and effort on Sunday before we can beat them and at the moment I can't see that happening. And that means there's only one winner.....

CraigHibee
22-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes

we need a change in the team to happen now, i would have hoped terry would have thrown a few of the younger guys into the the team today but i guess he thought that the first teamer's might have stepped up to the plate and at least tried given the warnings last week!

surely be an improvement of what we have at the moment?

Joe6-2
22-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I kinda touched on this on the PM board, but surely a team made up of players who will be here next season, and youth players who want to be in the team next season, would give us a better chance of picking up some wins before the end of the campaign.

The manager knows who's likely to be leaving, and no doubt the players do too, so get them on the sidelines and let guys like Black and Baptie into the team and see how they get on. In terms of effort they won't be any worse than we have now.

We'll need to match Hearts for drive and effort on Sunday before we can beat them and at the moment I can't see that happening. And that means there's only one winner.....

Think this is a good idea, with top six gone it would also give these guys, who could be involved in first team next season, an early run in the side, what do we have to lose?!!!!

Pretty Boy
22-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Get the youngsters in.

Baptie can't be worse than McGivern, get Forster back to the middle and get Black into right back, get a wide player in as playing centre midfielders wide doesn't work.

Butcher threatened it last week and backed down, I fail to see what we have to lose? Fans will be far more forgiving of youngsters, in the short term, than a bunch of below average journeymen.

CraigHibee
22-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Butcher threatened it last week and backed down

i think he was hoping for some kind of positive reaction from the team but needless to say never happened

Itsnoteasy
22-03-2014, 09:29 PM
i think he was hoping for some kind of positive reaction from the team but needless to say never happened

He threatened a few week ago and made 1 change the following week. Talk is cheap.

Eyrie
22-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Other than the two Yams games there is nothing to lose by giving the kids a chance.

And given how poorly the experienced players are performing, there's probably nothing to lose in those derbies either.

sleeping giant
22-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Yes !!

Here is my post from the PM board ...

Butcher needs to decide who is going at the end of the season and not play them again this season.
We are meant to have decent youngsters. I would use them to replace the players who are leaving.
I feel the fans would have patience with this method.
Blood the youngsters Terry.

sleeping giant
22-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Other than the two Yams games there is nothing to lose by giving the kids a chance.

And given how poorly the experienced players are performing, there's probably nothing to lose in those derbies either.

**** the yams. They are irrelevant now.
Blood the kids for OUR benefit.:flag:

Eyrie
22-03-2014, 10:33 PM
**** the yams. They are irrelevant now.
Blood the kids for OUR benefit.:flag:

They'll be irrelevant next season, but not when we still have to play them. Do you really want them relegated/liquidated when they can cling to the knowledge that they beat us in the last two derbies for however many years? I want us to have those bragging rights - about all that can be salvaged from this season.

Agree about the kids though.

hibbybob
22-03-2014, 10:37 PM

We're in a fight to avoid the play off place and need to play our strongest 11 until we're assured of at least 10th.

I'd play Kevin Thomson, if fit, irrespective of where he'll be next season - he's far better than anything else we have!

sleeping giant
22-03-2014, 10:37 PM
They'll be irrelevant next season, but not when we still have to play them. Do you really want them relegated/liquidated when they can cling to the knowledge that they beat us in the last two derbies for however many years? I want us to have those bragging rights - about all that can be salvaged from this season.

Agree about the kids though.

Mate , of course i want us to hump them but if it means our kids get big game experience and flourish next season.......then yes , Hertz are irrelevant as we wont see them again for a while.
I love Hibs more than i hate Hertz:flag:

Ronniekirk
22-03-2014, 11:08 PM

Well T B seems to have run out of ideas so worth a try in my book

sleeping giant
22-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Well T B seems to have run out of ideas so worth a try in my book

Ouch !! Is it not a case of TB giving the current players a chance to prove their worth as experienced football players.

Folk are saying drop Nelson etc. Is he not our second top scorer ? How many poins has he secured this season.
I know for a fact he has won me a few bob:thumbsup:

Boyle89
23-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Ouch !! Is it not a case of TB giving the current players a chance to prove their worth as experienced football players.

Folk are saying drop Nelson etc. Is he not our second top scorer ? How many poins has he secured this season.
I know for a fact he has won me a few bob:thumbsup:
If that is true that shows what a sad state we are in when our defenders are almost our top scorers. Nothing wrong with defenders scoring ofcourse but we seem to be relying on corners and free kicks for goals these days.

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-03-2014, 08:29 AM
We're in a fight to avoid the play off place and need to play our strongest 11 until we're assured of at least 10th.

I'd play Kevin Thomson, if fit, irrespective of where he'll be next season - he's far better than anything else we have!

Did you watch the master class he gave yesterday?

Hardly the Xavi-esque performance many folk predicted. As humpty as the rest of them.

BH Hibs
23-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Did he not already try this only to have to bring them back in?

Weststandwanab
23-03-2014, 09:04 AM
If the club knows they are going, because they have decided so or the player has advised the club so then yes, subject to :

Think this is a good idea, with top six gone it would also give these guys, who could be involved in first team next season, an early run in the side, what do we have to lose?!!!! Agree.

Get the youngsters in.

Baptie can't be worse than McGivern, get Forster back to the middle and get Black into right back, get a wide player in as playing centre midfielders wide doesn't work.

Butcher threatened it last week and backed down, I fail to see what we have to lose? Fans will be far more forgiving of youngsters, in the short term, than a bunch of below average journeymen. I reckon he has not yet made wholesale changes because winning yesterday would have kept a faint hope of top six now that that has gone I think TB will act.

I'd play Kevin Thomson, if fit, irrespective of where he'll be next season - he's far better than anything else we have! I would also agree with this.

Ronniekirk
23-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Hardly the Xavi-esque performance many folk predicted. As humpty as the rest of them.
First game in ages for first team who are playing poorly and lacking confidence He isn't a miracle worker.But T B now has no idea what to do and that's why we are all over the place Adrenalin alone won't get us a derby win .

happiehibbie
23-03-2014, 09:39 AM
I dont disagree with the OP but we need to finish as high as possible to raise income.

on a different note I believe season tickets etc will be at an all time low. Hibs board need to sign some good players to encourage sales. Not ask us to fund it first

coldingham hibs
23-03-2014, 10:16 AM

If we play the young players then we are basically handing the initiative to Hearts as their youngsters will be more experienced than ours. The only way we win this game (or not lose) is by playing the experienced guys, maybe one or two less experienced to surprise them a bit. Hearts are not nearly as bad as they are being portrayed and from what I've seen have a few players capable of giving our powderpuff backline a hard time. I would prefer the likes of Maybury getting back in, not the greatest player but does give his all.

Weststandwanab
23-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I dont disagree with the OP but we need to finish as high as possible to raise income.

on a different note I believe season tickets etc will be at an all time low. Hibs board need to sign some good players to encourage sales. Not ask us to fund it firstYou are asking the Tache to speculate there.

I think we all now were that is going.

neil7908
23-03-2014, 11:09 AM
I think its a good idea in principle but I wonder who would be left to choose from? I mean how many of this current squad will Butcher want at ER next season? The only player getting a game recently who Terry has had positive things to say about and is also under contract for next season is Stanton. There are plenty of players at the club who will probably have to stay as they have a least another year on their contracts and I cant see us being able to shift then given current form.

Although I expect their to be a big clear out (not sure about all these names) I believe guys like Nelson, McGivern, Collins, Craig, Heffernan etc are all still under contact for at least a year so we might need to accept that there will be some players still at ER next season who we might want to shift but wont be able to.

I guess my point is that the only players we can guarantee leaving are ones out of contract in the summer which is still a fair few but also leaves a large core of the squad who have been under performing badly and if we remove them from the equation due to general poor form we really would be choosing a team of under 20s.

Hibercelona
23-03-2014, 11:11 AM
I felt they should have been dropped the moment they were telt that they were leaving.

Pretty Boy
23-03-2014, 11:18 AM
If we play the young players then we are basically handing the initiative to Hearts as their youngsters will be more experienced than ours. The only way we win this game (or not lose) is by playing the experienced guys, maybe one or two less experienced to surprise them a bit. Hearts are not nearly as bad as they are being portrayed and from what I've seen have a few players capable of giving our powderpuff backline a hard time. I would prefer the likes of Maybury getting back in, not the greatest player but does give his all.

I don't really see how playing the experienced guys makes it more likely we will win this game.

The experienced guys have lost to Hearts twice this season already, the experienced guys have been beaten by St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, St Mirren and Dundee Utd recently. The experienced guys just aren't very good and look like they couldn't care less. We have some talented youngsters who will show a bit enthusiasm and fight. Get them in.

cabbage_88
23-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Our experienced guys have done nothing for weeks, hardly lead by example. I would definitely give at least one of the young full backs a try. Look at Forster when he was thrown in at the deep end at tynecaslte and he strolled through the game.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
23-03-2014, 11:23 AM

No one said he was going to be brilliant, he's one of our best players and he should at least be in contention for a place, that's hardly unreasonable.

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Many folk did assume he would make a difference. Probably the large absence heightened this!! It certainly did for me.

I watched the game yesterday and we created absolutely nothing. Kevin played as part of the midfield tasked with creating chances, he created none.

I agree though, he should be in contention for a place like all the others up until the end of the season. I just don't think he merits a place.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

Hibercelona
23-03-2014, 11:35 AM
No one said he was going to be brilliant, he's one of our best players and he should at least be in contention for a place, that's hardly unreasonable.

Is he?

I would say that he's pretty much on par with the rest of them and offers nothing, just like the rest of them.

Replacing any midfielder at Hibs with any other midfielder just now, is like replacing an orange traffic cone with a yellow one.