PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we play like this?

hibsbollah
22-03-2014, 05:39 PM
It can't be that difficult, surely? :dunno:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26225803

hibsbollah
22-03-2014, 05:42 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26225797

In fact, I'd take this as well

leithsansiro
22-03-2014, 09:39 PM
That goal by Cambiasso is one of my favourites ever. Patient, pass, move, look to slowly build. Beautiful.

However, in Scotland, very few fans would give players the time to do anything like that. First couple of passes about at the back and guys in the stand are shouting for the players to "get it forward!!!!!". Scottish (indeed British) mentality. A few years ago, I described typical Scottish tactics to a friend in Uruguay and he laughed, enquiring, "Do teams only ever score from other's mistakes?"

SmashinGlass
22-03-2014, 10:05 PM
That goal by Cambiasso is one of my favourites ever. Patient, pass, move, look to slowly build. Beautiful.

However, in Scotland, very few fans would give players the time to do anything like that. First couple of passes about at the back and guys in the stand are shouting for the players to "get it forward!!!!!". Scottish (indeed British) mentality. A few years ago, I described typical Scottish tactics to a friend in Uruguay and he laughed, enquiring, "Do teams only ever score from other's mistakes?"

It upsets me immensely the attitude a lot of fans in this country have. This attitude you have so eloquently described above is, I would argue, partially responsible for what's wrong with the game in this country. This is a fantastic example of how a goal is crafted through patient build up and, when it eventually comes to the business end of the pitch, incisive ruthless finishing. An absolutely stunning goal.

I sincerely wish we would take a leaf out of some of these country's books over here. It would make the game much more of a spectacle and would refute the Bobby Williamson idea of football not being for entertainment purposes.

HappyAsHellas
22-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Many years ago I watched the Scotland under 21's play Brazil at Hampden in a friendly. Scotland won 1 - 0 and literally kicked them off the park to achieve this, as they were technically far superior. After the game the Brazilian coach was asked if he was upset at getting beat. No he replied, this young team are only learning to play football, once they mature and learn the game then we will teach them to score goals.
Wonder what the result would be today from the same sets of players? wouldn't bet on a Scotland win and until the fans realise that we have to change from the ground up, starting with kids as they did in Spain then the "get it up the park" brigade will, I fear, win the day.

Spike Mandela
22-03-2014, 11:43 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26225797

In fact, I'd take this as well

Haha never watched that before. Flying kicks, left hooks, sneaky digs it's got the lot.:aok:

Spike Mandela
22-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I'd settle for this next week. Still the best.:wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26225804

Springbank
23-03-2014, 06:22 AM
If Tony Mowbray showed anything, he showed us that 14000 Hibees will turn up on a regular basis if we play good football with decent footballers

Peevemor
23-03-2014, 08:52 AM
If Tony Mowbray showed anything, he showed us that 14000 Hibees will turn up on a regular basis if we play good football with decent footballers

Attendances were higher but not to that extent.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_games.php?id=174&page=2

weonlywon6-2
23-03-2014, 09:04 AM

was that not under mcleish,anyways,if only we could play like tonys teams

wearethehibs
23-03-2014, 09:09 AM
As I watched that I thought "oh Ill make a joke about fans moaning about a backwards pass". The fact Ive been beaten to it says a lot about Scottish football fans.

Scottie
23-03-2014, 09:20 AM

TM was a lucky lad that inherited a fantastic group of youngsters and that's the reason he was able to play the football we did. As he has gone on to show at West Brom and Middlesbrough when expectations with decent squads he's been found wanting.

As as a matter of interest what type of football would he achieve or be playing with the players we have at the moment ? I doubt the 14000 you quote would be turning up every week.

Tyler Durden
23-03-2014, 10:22 AM
TM was a lucky lad that inherited a fantastic group of youngsters and that's the reason he was able to play the football we did. As he has gone on to show at West Brom and Middlesbrough when expectations with decent squads he's been found wanting.

As as a matter of interest what type of football would he achieve or be playing with the players we have at the moment ? I doubt the 14000 you quote would be turning up every week.

Did he inherit Boozy, Murphy, Shiels, Jones, Sproule, Killen, Benji and Zemmama to name a few?

Mowbray had his team playing passing football within 2 weeks, that was before he managed to move on the likes of Nicol, McManus and Alan Reid. He had an ethos which players bought into.

It's also daft to suggest he failed at WBA, he got them promoted in the first place.

Scottie
23-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Did he inherit Boozy, Murphy, Shiels, Jones, Sproule, Killen, Benji and Zemmama to name a few?

Mowbray had his team playing passing football within 2 weeks, that was before he managed to move on the likes of Nicol, McManus and Alan Reid. He had an ethos which players bought into.

It's also daft to suggest he failed at WBA, he got them promoted in the first place.

And got WBA relegated the next season if I'm not mistaken :confused:

Tyler Durden
23-03-2014, 02:49 PM
And got WBA relegated the next season if I'm not mistaken :confused:

Yes they got relegated and still their support backed Mowbray. Hardly a major failure to get WBA relegated.

Anyway back to your point that we only played good football cos he inherited some good young players. Total nonsense.

If it was that easy why were we so poor with previous manager? The one who couldn't get much out of GOC and wanted to trade Riordan and Whittaker?

And did the good football not stem partly from the many excellent players Mowbray signed?

Whether any manager could do more with the current crop is another matter of course....

hibsbollah
23-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Attendances were higher but not to that extent.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_games.php?id=174&page=2

We were regularly getting 12k for run of the mill fixtures against teams fighting relegation, and 14k for your Aberdeens. 3k more per week than we're getting now for a team that never won anything but who you knew were going to at least go out and entertain(thats approx an extra £50, 000 per week assuming an average ticket cost of £17, source scott lindsay...or over £1million in extra sales over the course of a season).

Obviously hoping for us to play like the Cambiasso goal is rank silliness on my part, but we could at least TRY. Cast your minds back to Murphy, Zemmama, wee Lewis playing keep ball at Ibrox under Collins with the 'oles' ringing out :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Uruguay are quite adept at kicking teams off the park. Wouldnae be getting too misty eyed about them as an example.

Scottie
23-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Yes they got relegated and still their support backed Mowbray. Hardly a major failure to get WBA relegated.

Anyway back to your point that we only played good football cos he inherited some good young players. Total nonsense.

If it was that easy why were we so poor with previous manager? The one who couldn't get much out of GOC and wanted to trade Riordan and Whittaker?

And did the good football not stem partly from the many excellent players Mowbray signed?

Whether any manager could do more with the current crop is another matter of course....

Think you've been on the gear like your avatar. Calm down Calm down
the manager before TM was as rank as the last 5 or 6 and couldn'y pick his nose or arse never mind a football team.
Yes TM signed what turned out to be some excellent signing's but the point being raised was he was lucky to inherit a good young side hungry for success.
He did well at our club granted but IMO took us as far as he could and since has done poorly at WBA,MIDDLESBROUGH and the Sellick

Hope you do the same with Butcher as the WBA fans did with TM when he took them down. :cb

hibsbollah
23-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Haha never watched that before. Flying kicks, left hooks, sneaky digs it's got the lot.:aok:

David Coleman's finest hour in my opinion. His moral outrage at the start never fails to make me laugh.

bobbyhibs1983
23-03-2014, 05:20 PM
I tihnk what the clips show is a team who has worked and worked and worked and worked on things.I do wonder how hard the hisb players do train,Im sure alot of us have moaned about one thing or another on here,pace,fitness,throws ins etc.

We have a fantastic training centre so why has that not helped?
have we had the wrong people doing the training?do the players work hard enough?

Im sure if an average player walks into eastmains and was coached properly they would be fitter and would be better a player for it right?

Bottom line is i do not think as a team we do enough,whatever we do is not working,Im sure our manager needs the summer and a good spane of the summer/pre season to get things done, well atleast training wise to get things started

SmashinGlass
24-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Barcelona's first goal tonight was a 24 pass goal. Identical in number to cambiasso. A lesson for our country in what needs to happen

--------
24-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Uruguay are quite adept at kicking teams off the park. Wouldnae be getting too misty eyed about them as an example.

South American football is different - they're all capable of playing skilful passing football, and they're all capable of turning nasty and kicking the opposition to bits, or falling over to get penalties and opponents sent off. Just seems to be a fact of life over there. Even Brazil, on occasion. Look at Argentina - they produced Messi; they also produced Rattin. And Maradona.

And remember this from Rivaldo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiW0IPrv1Ro

FWIW, if Scotland played exactly like Uruguay and thereby achieved exactly what Uruguay have achieved in world football, you wouldn't hear a cheep of complaint from me. Three names - Suarez, Cavani, and Forlan.

And I would just like to say (before anyone brings up the subject of biting) I wish Terry B would get Suarez to come up to ER and bite some of the present Hibs squad - he might pass on some of his passion and ability to them.

I know who I'll be supporting at 2000 hours on Thursday the 19th of June, and they won't be wearing three slinky creepy leopards on their shirts. :devil:

Ronniekirk
24-03-2014, 09:28 AM
It can't be that difficult, surely? :dunno:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26225803
It's tucked away somewhere in that five year plan ,just be patient :wink:

Ronniekirk
24-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I tihnk what the clips show is a team who has worked and worked and worked and worked on things.I do wonder how hard the hisb players do train,Im sure alot of us have moaned about one thing or another on here,pace,fitness,throws ins etc.

We have a fantastic training centre so why has that not helped?
have we had the wrong people doing the training?do the players work hard enough?

Im sure if an average player walks into eastmains and was coached properly they would be fitter and would be better a player for it right?

Bottom line is i do not think as a team we do enough,whatever we do is not working,Im sure our manager needs the summer and a good spane of the summer/pre season to get things done, well atleast training wise to get things started
I am sure TB will have his own players working hard next season but hard work only takes you so far scouting young players with natural ability and then coaching them to express that and instill that close control one touch and know where to pass it to and where to run into space .The dribbling skills is something we lost when kids Stoppard play with tennis balls in playground as that's where you honed your skills practising every day But the most skilfully players rarely get kept in the game as coaches to pass Thier talent on unless that changes or we unearth super scouts not a lot will change

bobbyhibs1983
24-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I am sure TB will have his own players working hard next season but hard work only takes you so far scouting young players with natural ability and then coaching them to express that and instill that close control one touch and know where to pass it to and where to run into space .The dribbling skills is something we lost when kids Stoppard play with tennis balls in playground as that's where you honed your skills practising every day But the most skilfully players rarely get kept in the game as coaches to pass Thier talent on unless that changes or we unearth super scouts not a lot will change

i do agree with most of your post, though i dont think Tb having his own players working hard next season will help us THIS season though! :greengrin

i so agree with your statement regarding dribbling though, It seems like alot of games i watch, not just hibs, you rarely see players take the defenders on.How many times i have seen a game and the left(or right ) midfeilder getting the ball half way up the feild and then passing instead of taking the defender on.

I think TB can install atleast fitness in our players though, or he should.I know as you said itmll only takes us so far and i think thats true, but i guess i d rather have one real;ly really fit average player than one fantastic player who can only last 15mins a game