PDA

View Full Version : Another question

Waxy
22-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Anyone know if in the history of Edinburgh football, either team has relegated the other.
I sure hope not, and if we send them down we can't let them forget it.

Hiber-nation
22-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Anyone know if in the history of Edinburgh football, either team has relegated the other.
I sure hope not, and if we send them down we can't let them forget it.

This game sticks in the memory but maybe didn't technically put them down. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17180

Hopefully Jonnyboy or someone else will confirm. I remember a late goal from Ralph Callachan, absolute bedlam in the Hibs end (and in Gorgie Road after) and the chants of "you're goin down again" but I don't know if this was the game than finally put the nail in the coffin. Probably not as there were probably about 10 games to go.

lapsedhibee
22-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Hearts very nearly sent us down in May 1963. If they and Clyde had won that day, we'd almost certainly have been relegated. (Their team included three players who later joined us and it ended 3-3.)

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/196305041.html

If they had sent us down, I don't think there'd have been quite the same glee as now.

lapsedhibee
22-03-2014, 09:34 AM
This game sticks in the memory but maybe didn't technically put them down. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=17180

Hopefully Jonnyboy or someone else will confirm. I remember a late goal from Ralph Callachan, absolute bedlam in the Hibs end (and in Gorgie Road after) and the chants of "you're goin down again" but I don't know if this was the game than finally put the nail in the coffin. Probably not as there were probably about 10 games to go.

More details here:
http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197903281.html
Jumbo Jim on the pitch :greengrin

Waxy
22-03-2014, 09:45 AM
If someone asked me.If you had the choice would you rather, your team lost in the cup final to your rivals or your team were relegated by your rivals, i'd most definetly take the cup final loss.

#FromTheCapital
22-03-2014, 09:53 AM
If someone asked me.If you had the choice would you rather, your team lost in the cup final to your rivals or your team were relegated by your rivals, i'd most definetly take the cup final loss.

Won't be the same, we shouldn't kid ourselves on. Hearts are relegated either way whether we beat them or not. Would agree with you if it was the last game of the season or something and hearts only needed a point to stay up.

Waxy
22-03-2014, 10:02 AM
The consequences of relegation are far worse than losing a cup final.

#FromTheCapital
22-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes they are but rivalry doesn't really come into that. Don't get me wrong I'll love it if we're the ones who have the honour of relegating them, but it's more like disconnecting someone's life support machine than playing a major part in their death.

rcarter1
22-03-2014, 10:30 AM

True but, winning a Cup is far better than being the team that relegated another team.

Waxy
22-03-2014, 10:39 AM
True but, winning a Cup is far better than being the team that relegated another team.

Dunno. We dunno how it feels to win that cup.

Diclonius
22-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Not for me.

It will be the best game I've ever been to if we send them down though.

emerald green
22-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I agree, and I hope that they stay down in the lower leagues for several seasons, at least. Then we will see if they still call themselves the "big team".

rcarter1
22-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Dunno. We dunno how it feels to win that cup.

Either way there will be some fond memories made if we send them down…

Hiber-nation
22-03-2014, 11:47 AM
More details here:
http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197903281.html
Jumbo Jim on the pitch :greengrin

Alexander Hector McMillan MacLeod :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2014, 12:07 PM
5-1 in the relegation match would be poetic justice.

snooky
22-03-2014, 12:44 PM
5-1 in the relegation match would be poetic justice.

Shirley you mean 1-5? :eek:

Hibs7
22-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I am sorry, but I do not see where all the optimism is that we will beat them at Tynecastle... I actually think they will beat us, as we have been playing crap except for the second half against Motherwell. So I fear we will lose to these ****bags and give them something to be happy about when they do get relegated .. It is the Hibs way but I really hope TB can change that with a win today and a decent win next week but confident I am not..

Viva_Palmeiras
22-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Got draw written all over this game IMO. Maybe even the unthinkable...

Go on Hibs - surprise us...

Michael
22-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Yes, but I'd take relegation if it meant winning the cup.

Killiehibbie
22-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Hopefully Jonnyboy or someone else will confirm. I remember a late goal from Ralph Callachan, absolute bedlam in the Hibs end (and in Gorgie Road after) and the chants of "you're goin down again" but I don't know if this was the game than finally put the nail in the coffin. Probably not as there were probably about 10 games to go.Was that the game Callachan scored from wide on the right into the Gorgie Road goal? Maybe even the postponed New Year game.

Hiber-nation
22-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Was that the game Callachan scored from wide on the right into the Gorgie Road goal? Maybe even the postponed New Year game.

I thought it was into the school end but yeah sure it was from wide right. I was at the other end and half pished so couldn't say 100% which end!

Killiehibbie
24-03-2014, 10:35 AM
I thought it was into the school end but yeah sure it was from wide right. I was at the other end and half pished so couldn't say 100% which end!It was before strict segregation so every chance of me being in the opposite end to where I thought. Can't blame drink as I didn't start until the following year.

cleanyman
24-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't see Hibs winning this game.

A draw.

Argylehibby
24-03-2014, 12:06 PM
There is as much chance that they will beat us in the final derby and ensure we are in the play off position than there is that we will beat them on Sunday and relegate them unfortunately.

Spike Mandela
24-03-2014, 12:21 PM
There is as much chance that they will beat us in the final derby and ensure we are in the play off position than there is that we will beat them on Sunday and relegate them unfortunately.

For me everything points to a dire 0-0. The worst team in the league all year vs the team with the worst current league form. Hopefully results go our way in other games so we can relegate them with a draw.

ancient hibee
24-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Back in 1964/65 Hearts beat us 5-3 at ER.Our 3rd goal was miles offside but there were some patronising remarks about a consolation goal.If that goal had been chalked off Hearts would have won the league.

We won't be relegating Hearts -they've been relegated all season.

weonlywon6-2
24-03-2014, 07:51 PM

id take relegation,cup final is a one off game where relegation is over a season,we wont relegate hearts by beating them once,they have relegated themselves through poor results