PDA

View Full Version : NHC Aberdeen this, Aberdeen that

Hibercelona
17-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Looks like it's already started. Aberdeen are going to be a "major force" in Scottish football again.

I'll believe it when they start taking 30-40,000 fans to games on a regular basis.

Keith_M
17-03-2014, 06:42 PM
:singing:

You are my sunshine,
my only sunshine,
you make me hap-py,
when skies are grey

:singing:

Betty Boop
17-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Looks like it's already started. Aberdeen are going to be a "major force" in Scottish football again.

I'll believe it when they start taking 30-40,000 fans to games on a regular basis.

Just like it was Hibs this, and Hibs that in 2007.

Hibercelona
17-03-2014, 06:51 PM

We got a pat on the back for winning it and rightfully so. As did St Mirren last season.

But because "Aberdeen" have had their turn now, they're on their way to being a dominant force again in Scottish football. What a load of pish.

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2014, 07:07 PM
We got a pat on the back for winning it and rightfully so. As did St Mirren last season.

But because "Aberdeen" have had their turn now, they're on their way to being a dominant force again in Scottish football. What a load of pish.

Come on tell us just who it is who's working you from the behind?

Technofob
17-03-2014, 07:18 PM
The wheels will come of the push to be Scotland's second force when McInnes goes to Sevco - Xmas 2014 at the latest.

Golden Bear
17-03-2014, 07:19 PM
They're a good team with a good Manager and an excellent example of what can be done in a relatively short period of time.

I've no problem with the rightful praise that is being lavished upon them.

I just wish it was us.

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2014, 07:22 PM
They're a good team with a good Manager and an excellent example of what can be done in a relatively short period of time.

I just wish it was us.

:agree: Would folk rather it was Celtic or The Rangers who won yesterday?:confused:

Frazerbob
17-03-2014, 07:22 PM

I just wish it was us.

The scenes in Aberdeen last night just made me jealous as hell. Reminded me of Leith on 27th October 1991. Also made me look forward to the Derby so we can have our party!

Ronniekirk
17-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Doesn't bother me one way or the other but I will be interested to see if Stewart Milne starts to dismantle the Team and sell off it's best players like Petrie did in the wake of our win and deprive Collins of Transfer Funds or if he doesn't sell anyone and tries to push on by Strengthening it .that will tell us something and we will see where they are next Season .If they Finish second in Leauge and win two cups ,or win one and get to the other cup final ,it will heap pressure on McIness to do the same next season so it may be how some of these players handle that pressure as it clearly seemed to get to them in Final .But keep Team Together and Strengthen and they may get better at handling the pressure Let's face it who is going to be able to match them so my guess is Milne will look to Strenthen with both Sevco and hear7s out the way ,and us in yet another period of Transition .No one else has same crowd potential to get gates up by three or four thousand so in theory they should be able to cement second place again if they are Ambitious .

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Doesn't bother me one way or the other but I will be interested to see if Stewart Milne starts to dismantle the Team and sell off it's best players like Petrie did in the wake of our win and deprive Collins of Transfer Funds or if he doesn't sell anyone and tries to push on by Strengthening it .that will tell us something and we will see where they are next Season .If they Finish second in Leauge and win two cups ,or win one and get to the other cup final ,it will heap pressure on McIness to do the same next season so it may be how some of these players handle that pressure as it clearly seemed to get to them in Final .But keep Team Together and Strengthen and they may get better at handling the pressure Let's face it who is going to be able to match them so my guess is Milne will look to Strenthen with both Sevco and hear7s out the way ,and us in yet another period of Transition .No one else has same crowd potential to get gates up by three or four thousand so in theory they should be able to cement second place again if they are Ambitious .

Not going to happen, this Aberdeen side is based on older heads, good experienced players sprinkled with a few younger ones. They dont have any players who are worth the kind of money we got.

Saorsa
17-03-2014, 07:30 PM
We'll get our headline if we make it in tae the top 6 :flag: and Petrie will be out celebrating the great achievement.

bigwheel
17-03-2014, 07:31 PM
..... I'm delighted that any team is taking positive press over Celtic and The Rangers.....

Good luck to them and I hope they go on and improve...just because we are struggling, doesn't really make me wish other teams do. They are a decent side this year. I'd rather anyone wins the Scottish Cup other than the sevco mob.

bod
17-03-2014, 07:35 PM

I just wish it was us.

:agree:

scoopyboy

Who are they going to sell?

Jamie Langfield, Russell Anderson, Willo Flood, Barry Robson. Some of their best players but none of them have any sell on value.

Tyler Durden
Not going to happen, this Aberdeen side is based on older heads, good experienced players sprinkled with a few younger ones. They dont have any players who are worth the kind of money we got.

That Hibs team would wipe the floor with this Aberdeen side. Jimmy Calderwoods team were a better side.

Aberdeen sitting in 2nd at the moment just shows scottish football at an all time low. Only Dundee Utd have much in the way of quality at the moment IMO

silverhibee
17-03-2014, 07:36 PM
We'll get our headline if we make it in tae the top 6 :flag: and Petrie will be out celebrating the great achievement.

The balance sheet.

Hibercelona
17-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm not grudging Aberdeens turn at some success. It's the crap the media are coming out with, simply because it's Aberdeen.

They've won a cup and suddenly they're on their way to world domination. Simply because they're Aberdeen.

SMAXXA
17-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Fair play to them and congratulations on winning the cup is what I say. Let's no start having pop shots and appreciate a team similar to our own who's went through some crap years and brought in a new manager who's done a Great job so far.

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm not grudging Aberdeens turn at some success. It's the crap the media are coming out with, simply because it's Aberdeen.

They've won a cup and suddenly they're on their way to world domination. Simply because they're Aberdeen.

Just stop it, that hole is getting bigger by the post.:rolleyes:

Michael
17-03-2014, 07:48 PM
I don't think anyone really believes they'll be a "major force" in Scottish football...not even Aberdeen fans.

They've got a good team and a good manager. They've won a cup and they might just win another. But realistically, it won't amount to much more.

Hibercelona
17-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Just stop it, that hole is getting bigger by the post.:rolleyes:

The only hole getting bigger is the one in peoples heads, as they continue to misinterpret the meaning behind a post, just so they can take a cheap dig.

Saorsa
17-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Just stop it, that hole is getting bigger by the post.:rolleyes:I think this smilie is needed :greengrin

http://i61.tinypic.com/24eolg5.gif

Pete
17-03-2014, 07:52 PM
An Aberdeen fan I know was saying that they deserved a cup final more than a lot of the diddy teams who have been in them recently.

I remimded him who most of these diddy teams beat to get there, usually in semi finals. :greengrin:

Leithenhibby
17-03-2014, 07:53 PM
They have done ok, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind who won it and good luck to them. They are still 12m in the red, they have an ageing stadium and no training facility. Like I said, good luck to them :-p

Broken Gnome
17-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Hibercelona's cause would be helped a great deal if people had Liam McLeod's voice in their head. Eg. "Sleeping giant".

Or were listening to Sportsound at the time.

They've been full of it for weeks and loads on here have been saying that.

Ronniekirk
17-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't think anyone really believes they'll be a "major force" in Scottish football...not even Aberdeen fans.

They've got a good team and a good manager. They've won a cup and they might just win another. But realistically, it won't amount to much more.
If they were to win both cups in one year when was the last time a team out with the old firm achieved this .They would have to be considered as a force all be it diluted one given state of Scottish football just now imo .

Mr White
17-03-2014, 08:04 PM
If they were to win both cups in one year when was the last time a team out with the old firm achieved this

Aberdeen season 89/90.

blackpoolhibs

No misinterpretation here.

Or here

SunshineOnLeith

That can't be right, I read on Hibs.net that all the media hate Hibs? :confused:

Must have imagined Sportscene having a weekly circle jerk over us when Mowbray was manager, and the Scotsman's sports sections resembling a Hibs fanzine. When we started a season well under Yogi there definitely wasn't a big segment on Football Focus on a Saturday lunchtime about us potentially splitting the Old Firm or even winning the league.

Nope, none of that happened. The media hate Hibs, always have, and it's just because it's Aberdeen who are now the exciting team that everyone's sitting up and paying attention.

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2014, 08:05 PM
I think this smilie is needed :greengrin

http://i61.tinypic.com/24eolg5.gif

:tee hee:

Ronniekirk
17-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Cut out the world domination bit that's just ridiculous .Agree there are too many dons sympathisers in media and they have gone over the top with all this I was drinking with two die hard Aberdeen fans on Friday in Glasgow They were organising the card display the next day They refused to take a victory for granted and were complimentary about section 43 and the work they were doing for us till the William Hill Scandal ripped them apart .

Michael
17-03-2014, 08:15 PM
If they were to win both cups in one year when was the last time a team out with the old firm achieved this .They would have to be considered as a force all be it diluted one given state of Scottish football just now imo .

To me a major force is a team that is successful over a sustained period (certainly for longer than one season!). IMO that means at the very least regularly winning domestic cups and finishing consistently in the top 2/3.

SunshineOnLeith
17-03-2014, 08:17 PM
To me a major force is a team that is successful over a sustained period (certainly for longer than one season!). IMO that means at the very least regularly winning domestic cups and finishing consistently in the top 2/3.

Like (pre-financial crash) Hearts were? :stirrer:

Mr White
17-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Like (financially doped) Hearts were? :stirrer:

Fixed.

Phil D. Rolls
17-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Outside of the OF, I'm not aware of any team - other than Fergies sheep, that have done that. Even then it only lasted about 10 years.

Kato
17-03-2014, 08:24 PM
deprive Collins of Transfer Funds.

Collins had a transfer fund. Not giving him all 5 million he wanted is a different thing and in retrospect I'm glad he wasn't given it as he couldn't spot a measle, never mind a player.

There will be huge pressure now on Aberdeen to deliver the double. There'll be even bigger pressure on them next season to sustain their revival. The better players are all getting on and the level of competency amongst the rest was there for everyone to see yesterday in that there was very little quality elsewhere, Rooney and Pawlett aside.

Ronniekirk
17-03-2014, 08:25 PM
If that's your definition then there is no major force just now apart from Celtic .Its hard to see them not doing well again next season but on your definition I will concede they are not currently a major force I am just making the point they are currently the best of the rest and think they probably will be again next season but I won't be losing any sleep over it ,and would not bother me if they slumped next season iether.

Kato
17-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Like (pre-financial crash) Hearts were? :stirrer:

They were never that consistent in the League considering the sponds they had/stole/acquired/were funded illegally with.

TheFamous1875
17-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Who are they going to sell?

Jamie Langfield, Russell Anderson, Willo Flood, Barry Robson. Some of their best players but none of them have any sell on value.

Counter that with McGinn, Rooney, Pawlett, Jack and Hayes. Perhaps even Reynolds..

They're a well balanced and properly set up team. Robson and Anderson are in their winter years, so they're on their way out. Flood has quite a few years in him alongside Jack, who'll become even better around these experienced players.

Pawlett didn't even look half the player he has looked in previous seasons because he didn't have the quality around him. That's the difference: young guys like him and Jack are being educated by the elder statesmen, whereas Hanlon's never had an adequate CB partner and Stevenson's never been a cog in a good Hibs team - remember how good he looked next to Brown and Boozy?

Aberdeen had the foundations set last season with Reynolds, Anderson, Considine, Hayes, Jack and McGinn. They added Flood and Robson and now with Rooney up top they're hands down the second best team in Scotland. It makes you wonder where Hibs would be now with those 3 players signed up. Something like:

Williams.

Forster. Nelson. Hanlon. McGivern.

Flood. Robson.

Harris. Stanton. Stevenson.

Rooney.

We wouldn't be as good as them as their back four are better, but I do think we'd be in a MUCH better place than we are today.

I have every faith in the management. I can't say the same about the board, but if Butcher & Co could polish turds in the highlands, they should be even more successful here.

With the squad we have just now, we need the following supplements:

A proper right back.
A proper CB to pair with Hanlon with Forster as understudy.
A proper left back if McGivern and Booth aren't good enough.
An inspirational CM.
An inspirational CF.
A proper winger.

Ideally, we could see a squad like this:

Goalie.

RB. CB. Hanlon. LB/McGivern/Booth.

Robertson. CM.

Winger. Stanton. Harris.

CF.

I think if we have these players above supplemented by good players that will compliment each other and be balanced the way Butcher's ICT squad were we could be on to something.

We're in reaching distance of reaching distance. We're closer now with this management. Let's hope it all works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eastterrace
17-03-2014, 08:32 PM
The wheels will come of the push to be Scotland's second force when McInnes goes to Sevco - Xmas 2014 at the latest.

i thought butcher was getting that post, sure i heard some jambos say that ,he wont stay with us when The rangers call.

chorley_fm
17-03-2014, 08:43 PM

I just wish it was us.

this

scoopyboy
17-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Counter that with McGinn, Rooney, Pawlett, Jack and Hayes. Perhaps even Reynolds..

They're a well balanced and properly set up team. Robson and Anderson are in their winter years, so they're on their way out. Flood has quite a few years in him alongside Jack, who'll become even better around these experienced players.

Pawlett didn't even look half the player he has looked in previous seasons because he didn't have the quality around him. That's the difference: young guys like him and Jack are being educated by the elder statesmen, whereas Hanlon's never had an adequate CB partner and Stevenson's never been a cog in a good Hibs team - remember how good he looked next to Brown and Boozy?

Aberdeen had the foundations set last season with Reynolds, Anderson, Considine, Hayes, Jack and McGinn. They added Flood and Robson and now with Rooney up top they're hands down the second best team in Scotland. It makes you wonder where Hibs would be now with those 3 players signed up. Something like:

Williams.

Flood. Robson.

Rooney.

We wouldn't be as good as them as their back four are better, but I do think we'd be in a MUCH better place than we are today.

I have every faith in the management. I can't say the same about the board, but if Butcher & Co could polish turds in the highlands, they should be even more successful here.

A proper right back.
An inspirational CM.
An inspirational CF.
A proper winger.

Goalie.

Robertson. CM.

Winger. Stanton. Harris.

CF.

I think if we have these players above supplemented by good players that will compliment each other and be balanced the way Butcher's ICT squad were we could be on to something.

We're in reaching distance of reaching distance. We're closer now with this management. Let's hope it all works out.

A good well structured response.

However, the players you have listed in your first sentence will not bring in good money for Aberdeen.

Don't think any would get Ģ500,000 and certainly not a million.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-03-2014, 08:55 PM
They've emulated what St Mirren achieved last season by winning the League Cup, well done, enjoy it but the reaction has been well over the top.
I know a lot of Aberdeen fans & talk about carried away :rolleyes:

Oh, and their display which they are all so proud of was crap as well.

weonlywon6-2
17-03-2014, 09:01 PM

they have a decent squad and will no doubt push on from now.
they will also get good crowds as well so have some money to.

scotland needs stronger aberdeens,dundee utd and we now have them,something i have felt for a long time now.
if i was an aberdeen fan i would be shouting from the roof tops,we would be the same.

weonlywon6-2
17-03-2014, 09:07 PM
i thought butcher was getting that post, sure i heard some jambos say that ,he wont stay with us when The rangers call.

rangers will go for a bigger named manager than terry butcher should they give up with sally.

ALF TUPPER
17-03-2014, 09:10 PM

I just wish it was us.

Spot on Bear.

weonlywon6-2
17-03-2014, 09:12 PM

they have a decent squad and will no doubt push on from now.
they will also get good crowds as well so have some money to.

scotland needs stronger aberdeens,dundee utd and we now have them,something i have felt for a long time now.
if i was an aberdeen fan i would be shouting from the roof tops,we would be the same.

Scottie
17-03-2014, 09:18 PM

I just wish it was us.

Spot on. Fair play to the sheep.

We would all be the same if it was us. It was us in 2007 and we f@@ked it up ourselves. :rolleyes:

snooky
17-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Wouldn't take much to be a dominant force in Scotland these days.
A half decent side could easily do it as the whole game up here is on life support.
I can barely think of one Scottish player who I would pay money to watch - Sparky being about the only one (when he had our jersey on, I should add)

shetlandhibee
18-03-2014, 12:22 AM
A good well structured response.

However, the players you have listed in your first sentence will not bring in good money for Aberdeen.

Don't think any would get Ģ500,000 and certainly not a million.
Not even Pawlett? :O

The Sea-gull
18-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Williams.

Flood. Robson.

Rooney.

A proper right back.
An inspirational CM.
An inspirational CF.
A proper winger.

Goalie.

Robertson. CM.

Winger. Stanton. Harris.

CF.

Good post and your suggestions on how to improve Hibs are exactly how I feel. Solid CB, full backs, centre mid, winger and a striker then plug the gaps with what we have. Really isn't rocket science and I am sure TB knows this too.

There still seem to be one or two people on here who believe we have good players but I don't think we do and wasting time persevering with them is not going to work. We have a new management team. A good, proven management team unlike the last couple of sets of jokers so we need to give them the chance to work with their players. That's players they pick for the long haul not a couple of January loanees.

Aberdeen are doing well because they finally have a good manager who has picked out a few good players who have brought those that were already there on a wee bit. I think we have the good manager bit now so it is over to him and the board to do all they can to get the good players bit.

As an aside to what is posted above, has anyone else thought that if we had gone for Butcher instead of Fenlon back in 2011 or even sacked Fenlon a wee bit earlier, we could maybe be sitting with this sort of team now and looking in a much better shape:-

Reguero

Raven - Warren - Hanlon - Shinnie

Hayes - Vincent - Draper - Doran

McKay - Rooney

sven nil
19-03-2014, 01:48 AM
They've emulated what St Mirren achieved last season by winning the League Cup, well done, enjoy it but the reaction has been well over the top.

They are also second in the league,and semi final of scottish cup and last five home games 4,000 extra home fans, All because he took a gamble on flood and Robson and lesser extent Rooney, As apposed to our bargain buys.

still the petrie fellow is a dons fan as we all know! How did you celebrate Roderick?

Hannah_hfc
19-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Living in Aberdeen when Aberdeen win a cup- nightmare. Working in a bar in Aberdeen when they win the cup- unbearable. Really hope their success this season doesn't carry onto next year, all of a sudden everyone in the city is a lifelong dons fan..:sairhead:

GreenLake
19-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Other teams who gain success through hard work, innovation or investing their own money deserve admiration and respect. Cheats will never get respect and that is why their victories ring hollow.

Ronniekirk
19-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Good post and your suggestions on how to improve Hibs are exactly how I feel. Solid CB, full backs, centre mid, winger and a striker then plug the gaps with what we have. Really isn't rocket science and I am sure TB knows this too.

There still seem to be one or two people on here who believe we have good players but I don't think we do and wasting time persevering with them is not going to work. We have a new management team. A good, proven management team unlike the last couple of sets of jokers so we need to give them the chance to work with their players. That's players they pick for the long haul not a couple of January loanees.

Aberdeen are doing well because they finally have a good manager who has picked out a few good players who have brought those that were already there on a wee bit. I think we have the good manager bit now so it is over to him and the board to do all they can to get the good players bit.

As an aside to what is posted above, has anyone else thought that if we had gone for Butcher instead of Fenlon back in 2011 or even sacked Fenlon a wee bit earlier, we could maybe be sitting with this sort of team now and looking in a much better shape:-

Reguero

Raven - Warren - Hanlon - Shinnie

Hayes - Vincent - Draper - Doran

McKay - Rooney

Draper signed a new two year contract yesterday so that's him and Vincent tied up so we won't have money to buy them in the summer.My point however is that the established teams in the top four and we need to add Aberdeen will now find it easier to keep good players and attract new talent with Hear7s and Sevco not in Leauge next season .We now have to hope Butcher can Persuade the right players to come to us so we can play catch up .If we are still seen as a team and club floundering as mr Brown in the evening news put it We don't know if players t b has identified will come to us and we don't know if Petrie will get deals done any quicker .I think the board need to be coming out with some sort of Statement of intent as if they don't it could mean T B has a vision of what and where he wants to take us but that might not be matched at boardroom level .If targets think that ,it could be difference between them taking the chance we are now on the way up or playing safe and going with those clubs that already have the proven track record.This next Season is crucial for us as a Club as we can't afford for Fan Base to keep being eroded because the product on the park isn't good enough to get us out Bottom Six .

The Sea-gull
19-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Draper signed a new two year contract yesterday so that's him and Vincent tied up so we won't have money to buy them in the summer.My point however is that the established teams in the top four and we need to add Aberdeen will now find it easier to keep good players and attract new talent with Hear7s and Sevco not in Leauge next season .We now have to hope Butcher can Persuade the right players to come to us so we can play catch up .If we are still seen as a team and club floundering as mr Brown in the evening news put it We don't know if players t b has identified will come to us and we don't know if Petrie will get deals done any quicker .I think the board need to be coming out with some sort of Statement of intent as if they don't it could mean T B has a vision of what and where he wants to take us but that might not be matched at boardroom level .If targets think that ,it could be difference between them taking the chance we are now on the way up or playing safe and going with those clubs that already have the proven track record.This next Season is crucial for us as a Club as we can't afford for Fan Base to keep being eroded because the product on the park isn't good enough to get us out Bottom Six .
Wasn't suggesting we would or should have signed Draper or any of the players listed. That part of my post was aimed at how key a manager is to club success by showing a team based on players Butcher may have signed for Hibs had he been installed a year or two earlier compared to those Pat signed.

Ronniekirk
19-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Wasn't suggesting we would or should have signed Draper or any of the players listed. That part of my post was aimed at how key a manager is to club success by showing a team based on players Butcher may have signed for Hibs had he been installed a year or two earlier compared to those Pat signed.
Ok I see that now so this is where we will be in two three years time with players TB brings in Still think that most managers usually like to bring in a few players they have worked with at previous club and the more that sign new contracts cuts that option pout for us

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Mark my words, when fat Sally gets the boot if der hun don't get back into the premier league McInnes will be there number one target and he will go, watch out for sly references in the future from both camps, this is hype for a reason IMO

crewetollhibee
19-03-2014, 09:43 AM

In the 7 years since we won the LC, I have watched the second half of that Killie game dozens of times with a glass of something and a warm glow in my heart. Then watching the best rendition ever of Sunshine on Leith to complete the glorious memories. What will Aberdeen supporters do ? I'll tell you - straight to watching a penalty shoot out.

chrisski33
19-03-2014, 09:44 AM
They have done ok, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind who won it and good luck to them. They are still 12m in the red, they have an ageing stadium and no training facility. Like I said, good luck to them :-p

We maybe have a great stadium amd a great training facility but it isnt achieving anything. Were better before EM came. Id rather win games than boast about stadium and training ground tbh

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Mark my words, when fat Sally gets the boot if der hun don't get back into the premier league McInnes will be there number one target and he will go, watch out for sly references in the future from both camps, this is hype for a reason IMO

You could be right, but thats not happening any time soon, so while we wait for your guess to come through, Aberdeen will still be 2nd in the league, in a semi final of the Scottish cup, and have the League cup safely tucked away.

What have we got to look forward to, Ally McCoist leaving ibrox?

cabbageandribs1875
19-03-2014, 12:32 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26644617

A social media campaign by Aberdeen FC fans has propelled a 1980s hit by The Human League into the iTunes top 5.
Dons fans have embraced Don't You Want Me - a number one in 1981 - by changing the lyrics to "Peter Pawlett Baby".

yep, lets immortalise a proven cheat into the words of a great song :rolleyes:

allezsauzee
19-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Good on them. Hopefully we'll show the same level of ambition next season.

VivaHiberņa
20-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Living in Aberdeen when Aberdeen win a cup- nightmare. Working in a bar in Aberdeen when they win the cup- unbearable. Really hope their success this season doesn't carry onto next year, all of a sudden everyone in the city is a lifelong dons fan..:sairhead:

They've come out the woodwork big-style haven't they? Had to go in to Union St last Friday, was cringing like anything. Have been avoiding town/STV Grampian etc since.

I agree completely with Hibercelona; the fauning over them has been unbelievable. Don't get me wrong; they've got a decent side but because it's "The Famous Aberdeen" they're probably going to win the Champions League next year.

When it comes to sheer delusion/'big team' nonsense etc I've thought for some time that 'The Dandies' are perhaps worse than our maroon-clad neighbours, not to mention that they really do think that they're still in the 1980s.

VivaHiberņa
20-03-2014, 01:49 AM
If you want a laugh, read this: http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731

Back in October/November 2012 when it was us, them and Celtc switching places in the top three every week we enjoyed it (and our crowds saw a wee lift) but were realistic about our chances of keeping that up all season. Not so in the Granite City...

Fannies.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2014, 09:26 AM
They've come out the woodwork big-style haven't they? Had to go in to Union St last Friday, was cringing like anything. Have been avoiding town/STV Grampian etc since.

I agree completely with Hibercelona; the fauning over them has been unbelievable. Don't get me wrong; they've got a decent side but because it's "The Famous Aberdeen" they're probably going to win the Champions League next year.

When it comes to sheer delusion/'big team' nonsense etc I've thought for some time that 'The Dandies' are perhaps worse than our maroon-clad neighbours, not to mention that they really do think that they're still in the 1980s.

The only person i have seen say that is you? :confused:

Jealousy is a terrible thing, i know that because i wish it was Hibs who were in their position.

TheFamous1875
20-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I for one hope Aberdeen sustain their success. I hope all teams are successful, creating a competitive and more successful league. Ideally, it would be us at the helm, but the Don's deserve their success for being remotely ambitious. Anyone's success should drive us on to be as good as the better teams, and with our resources we should be better than all of them, including Aberdeen.

I think the Hibs fans' frustration is at our board. Someone else has done what we should've. We've played fair, built our infrastructure, played the game, and so far it seems we've received none of benefits of it.

Aberdeen don't have this. They're on a tight rope which has beard immediate success. If we were on a tightrope, it'd be a lot thicker than Aberdeen's..

I hope they sustain and build on their success, as it's good for Scottish football to have successful clubs outside the OF. Their success should be a kick in the teeth to Petrie et al to speculate - just a bit, mind.

We've got a good manager who should be backed in the summer. I think next season will be a much different story. We have some good youths, and they need to be supplemented with fit, experienced pros who want to play football. This is EXACTLY what McInnes did and look at them.

Onion
20-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Hope they're successful if only to have some other team in the league hump The Rangers when they arrive. Nothing better than seeing the Son's of Hun getting a regular horsing by some provincial club :greengrin

Speedway
20-03-2014, 12:32 PM
They've played well all season and won a cup.

We should try that sometime.

Hibercelona
20-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Once again, i'm not lamenting Aberdeens success. Good on them.

It's the delusions that they're somehow going to hit 80's status and win another European Cup that gets my goat.

There was nowhere near as much hype when we won it. Were we "sleeping giants" when we won the cup?

It's a total nonsense.

CropleyWasGod
20-03-2014, 02:06 PM

It's the delusions that they're somehow going to hit 80's status and win another European Cup that gets my goat.

There was nowhere near as much hype when we won it. Were we "sleeping giants" when we won the cup?

It's a total nonsense.

Who has said that?

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Who has said that?

He did, i also think he hears voices?

VivaHiberņa
20-03-2014, 07:25 PM

It's a total nonsense.

:agree: You're not alone mate, but try living here :bitchy:.

The one thing I will say is that it's nice to see plenty children about wearing Aberdeen shirts for a change instead of the usual Man Utd, Chelsea etc. Could do with more of that about Leith.

Nonetheless, the are more delusional than the Jambos. Trust me. I repeat myself now, but seriously? (http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731)

Hibercelona
20-03-2014, 07:28 PM
He did, i also think he hears voices?

I suppose non-Aberdeen fans living in Aberdeen are all hearing voices as well?.... Most likely from Aberdeen fans?

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2014, 08:16 PM
I suppose non-Aberdeen fans living in Aberdeen are all hearing voices as well?.... Most likely from Aberdeen fans?

Give me one person who supports the dons, who thinks that they're somehow are going to hit 80's status and win another European Cup, YOUR WORDS?

Mr White
20-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Give me one person who supports the dons, who thinks that they're somehow are going to hit 80's status and win another European Cup, YOUR WORDS?

Willie Miller:devil:

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Willie Miller:devil:

:greengrin There's only one person who's saying this and he's a Hibs fan.:faf:

VivaHiberņa
20-03-2014, 10:09 PM

I imagine that Hibercelona, like Hannah_hfc and myself, lives or has lived in Aberdeen. Like the vast majority of non-Aberdeen fans that live in Aberdeen that I know (this includes supporters of Hibs, Hearts, County, Celtc ans Partick Thistle) and a lot of folk who don't, we all agree that Dons fans tend to have ideas about their club that are very far removed from reality (eg. title chances, 'big team' chat etc). That so many people have arrived, independently, at the same conclusion does not appear to me to be a coincidence.

Again, no one has referred to that thread on AFC Chat (http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731) that I've now posted a link to thrice. Is it because it maybe suggests that we might be right?

CropleyWasGod
20-03-2014, 11:34 PM
I imagine that Hibercelona, like Hannah_hfc and myself, lives or has lived in Aberdeen. Like the vast majority of non-Aberdeen fans that live in Aberdeen that I know (this includes supporters of Hibs, Hearts, County, Celtc ans Partick Thistle) and a lot of folk who don't, we all agree that Dons fans tend to have ideas about their club that are very far removed from reality (eg. title chances, 'big team' chat etc). That so many people have arrived, independently, at the same conclusion does not appear to me to be a coincidence.

Again, no one has referred to that thread on AFC Chat (http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31731) that I've now posted a link to thrice. Is it because it maybe suggests that we might be right?

Okay, I'll refer to it.

It's from, mainly, 2012/13. They talk about winning the league. Not a European trophy, which is what we're talking about.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2014, 11:36 PM

Aberdeen win a cup, Aberdeen 2nd in the league, Aberdeen in the semi final of the Scottish cup. All things that Aberdeen fans will be excited about, and of course they will be getting a little loud.

Just as we did when Mowbray was in charge and we were going through to Glasgow and kicking their *****, but i will bet not one pissed up Dons fan who is the most arrogant Dons fan on the planet, thinks they are going back to the 80s and are about to dominate Scottish football again, and i'd bet my last penny none think they will win a European trophy anytime soon.

Bitter jealousy, thats the problem here.

Pete
21-03-2014, 01:53 AM
You have to remember that Aberdeen did actually dominate Scottish football at one stage so it is a very real memory for their fans, not just fantasy like when cheats fans talk about their ambitions.

They appear to have a wee pet on AFC chat

Some cheats fan: Relegation looms for us, nae question, but even if it is the Hobos that put us down, it will never hurt us as much as the pain they went through at the "Broon Sauce" final.

Aye, keep telling yourselves that. Aberdeen know what you are.

VivaHiberņa
21-03-2014, 04:07 AM
Okay, I'll refer to it.

It's from, mainly, 2012/13. They talk about winning the league. Not a European trophy, which is what we're talking about.

Aberdeen win a cup, Aberdeen 2nd in the league, Aberdeen in the semi final of the Scottish cup. All things that Aberdeen fans will be excited about, and of course they will be getting a little loud.

Just as we did when Mowbray was in charge and we were going through to Glasgow and kicking their *****, but i will bet not one pissed up Dons fan who is the most arrogant Dons fan on the planet, thinks they are going back to the 80s and are about to dominate Scottish football again, and i'd bet my last penny none think they will win a European trophy anytime soon.

Bitter jealousy, thats the problem here.

I'm enjoying this now, but I'll be honest; I was really just trying to illustrate how delusional they can be with my Champions League comment, maybe I should have said that and thrown in the towel earlier instead of digging more :greengrin. My point however, stands; they really are an annoying, arrogant bunch. I mean winning the league, seriously? They weren't even that good last season (finished below us ffs).

Obviously, having just won a trophy they're more than entitled to enjoy it and they're quite rightly favourites for the SC too but even before the Aberdeen-media love-in started I've been saying they're pretty yammish in their outlook and for that reason I really can't stand them.

BH, win a European trophy no, but dominating Scottish football is really something they think they're capable of :yawn:, probably as has been pointed out already because it's in recentish memory for a lot of their supporters. Nonetheless, this really is delusion of Yam-like proportions.

At the risk of coming across as really bitter I would offer some other food for thought:

Mowbray's team stuffed both of the OF, this season Aberdeen have only had to deal with Celtc and have beaten them by one-goal margins (good on them nonetheless),
Mowbray's team played some really good football and while I admit I haven't seen a lot of Aberdeen this season what I have seen hasn't been great: getting results but not the entertaining performance that you'd expect to go with them (even discounting the LC final; you can't blame McInnes for being cautious then)

Compare with Dundee Utd, perhaps not getting as many points but certainly playing the more entertaining football (this is not to say that the performance counts more than the result, I'm trying to illustrate that the "the Dons are amazun" fauning is excessive)

Overall, I really don't like Aberdeen and haven't done for some time (well before there was any reason for me to be jealous of them) and maybe I've been a little dramatic in saying why. That this sentiment is shared by many others tells me there's got to be something in it.

(That said, the fact that Aberdeen have won more European trophies than either of the gruesome twosome and that this will forever grate with our countrymen in the West really brings a special warmth to my bitter, hateful heart. :greengrin)

Pete
21-03-2014, 05:08 AM
I'm enjoying this now, but I'll be honest; I was really just trying to illustrate how delusional they can be with my Champions League comment, maybe I should have said that and thrown in the towel earlier instead of digging more :greengrin. My point however, stands; they really are an annoying, arrogant bunch. I mean winning the league, seriously? They weren't even that good last season (finished below us ffs).

Obviously, having just won a trophy they're more than entitled to enjoy it and they're quite rightly favourites for the SC too but even before the Aberdeen-media love-in started I've been saying they're pretty yammish in their outlook and for that reason I really can't stand them.

BH, win a European trophy no, but dominating Scottish football is really something they think they're capable of :yawn:, probably as has been pointed out already because it's in recentish memory for a lot of their supporters. Nonetheless, this really is delusion of Yam-like proportions.

At the risk of coming across as really bitter I would offer some other food for thought:

Mowbray's team stuffed both of the OF, this season Aberdeen have only had to deal with Celtc and have beaten them by one-goal margins (good on them nonetheless),
Mowbray's team played some really good football and while I admit I haven't seen a lot of Aberdeen this season what I have seen hasn't been great: getting results but not the entertaining performance that you'd expect to go with them (even discounting the LC final; you can't blame McInnes for being cautious then)

Compare with Dundee Utd, perhaps not getting as many points but certainly playing the more entertaining football (this is not to say that the performance counts more than the result, I'm trying to illustrate that the "the Dons are amazun" fauning is excessive)

Overall, I really don't like Aberdeen and haven't done for some time (well before there was any reason for me to be jealous of them) and maybe I've been a little dramatic in saying why. That this sentiment is shared by many others tells me there's got to be something in it.

(That said, the fact that Aberdeen have won more European trophies than either of the gruesome twosome and that this will forever grate with our countrymen in the West really brings a special warmth to my bitter, hateful heart. :greengrin)

With respect, Rangers dominance was in it's full swing when you were born and you've seen nothing but old firm dominance through cash since then.

I grew up watching football when Aberdeen and Celtic were ruling the roost and were the teams to beat. I was never allowed to go to Hibs Aberdeen games as a youngsters but I was taken to Hearts ones and Aberdeen took 5-6000 fans minimum every time.

Comparing them in any way to Hearts is wrong, especially when talking about delusion. A lot of them have been there, seen it and done it. If not then their dads have. Hearts just think they're big because Romanov appeared on the scene in 2004. I really, really don't want to sound patronising but you simply don't understand. Celtic were there for the taking...they really were, and I reckon this seasons Aberdeen or even Motherwell might have ran them close.

They have still held onto their fan base through years of uncertainty which makes them the third force in Scotland in my opinion and the ones with the most potential right now outwith the Glasgow two. It might change when they have to start thinking about their infrastructure and stadium but right now they are building a quality team.

Don't worry, it might be us basking in glory in a few years time when they wake up and realise that they have to divert energies and funds towards the things they have been neglecting.

mjhibby
21-03-2014, 09:02 AM
That can't be right, I read on Hibs.net that all the media hate Hibs? :confused:

Must have imagined Sportscene having a weekly circle jerk over us when Mowbray was manager, and the Scotsman's sports sections resembling a Hibs fanzine. When we started a season well under Yogi there definitely wasn't a big segment on Football Focus on a Saturday lunchtime about us potentially splitting the Old Firm or even winning the league.

Nope, none of that happened. The media hate Hibs, always have, and it's just because it's Aberdeen who are now the exciting team that everyone's sitting up and paying attention.

I've had to stop listening to sportsound due to the Aberdeen love in. They have won the league cup as have killie,set mirren,ourselves etc etc. Scottish football it's the poorest it's been for many a year and our winning team of 2007 I'm sure we're much better than the current Aberdeen team. D utd to me look a much more promising team than the dons and I wouldn't mind a wee bet on them being second next year. Good luck to the dons they have won a trophy but to think it will get any better is just dreaming. They have the huge debt and unless they get some big investment that will be a problem. Btw sportsound love to commentate on hibs losing and are less than fulsome with their praise when we play well. Not paranoia,just the way it is. Oh and of course the unbelievable amount of coverage given to the second div champions stopped being funny a long time ago.

bigwheel
21-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Honestly guys, these negative posts just come over as "green eyed monsters". They've been the stand out team (outside Celtic) since the start of the season...personally, it's great to hear some team outside the old firm being discussed in positive terms...As for us, frankly it's been about 6-7 years since we have held any sort of form to be discussed positively in the media - we've not deserved it.

Let them enjoy their time in the sun - that's the benchmark we should currently be aiming for.

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Honestly guys, these negative posts just come over as "green eyed monsters". They've been the stand out team (outside Celtic) since the start of the season...personally, it's great to hear some team outside the old firm being discussed in positive terms...As for us, frankly it's been about 6-7 years since we have held any sort of form to be discussed positively in the media - we've not deserved it.

Let them enjoy their time in the sun - that's the benchmark we should currently be aiming for.

100% spot on. :top marks

shagpile
21-03-2014, 11:16 AM

They are not Ģ12m in the red. The figure is now over Ģ15m.

emerald green
21-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Agreed. They're only sheep s******* bar stewards. :wink: