PDA

View Full Version : Scottish football's life if...

TRC
16-03-2014, 09:32 PM
We become a independent.
Does the sky deal still work, does it mean change or does it stay the same?

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Can't think of any reason why it would change.

It's crap now and would still be crap, regardless of how the votes go.

lord bunberry
16-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Can't think of any reason why it would change.

It's crap now and would still be crap, regardless of how the votes go.

You really are a wee ray of sunshine

R'Albin
16-03-2014, 09:54 PM
The fact that this could have an effect on how I vote shows exactly why 16-17 year olds shouldn't be voting.

It probably won't have any effect anyway, though.

Phil D. Rolls
16-03-2014, 10:03 PM
I think, if Cameron could offer entry into the English Leagues, to our clubs, he could secure the Union.

matty_f
16-03-2014, 10:21 PM

:agree:

Steven_Hibs
16-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Off topic slightly, but I really hope we get independence. Would be smashing :greengrin

Eyrie
16-03-2014, 10:25 PM
The contract is with the SPFL, so there is no reason for it to change.

Of course, if you ask the two sides in the "debate" one will tell you that the TV money will quadruple and a Scottish club will win the Champions League within five years under independence, whilst the other will tell you that separation means the TV money will stop immediately and Scottish teams will be banned from international competition.

Speedy
16-03-2014, 10:27 PM
The fact that this could have an effect on how I vote shows exactly why 16-17 year olds shouldn't be voting.

I know what you're saying but people of all ages vote for a variety of stupid reasons. I wouldn't worry about it.

Saorsa
16-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I know what you're saying but people of all ages vote for a variety of stupid reasons. I wouldn't worry about it.indeed :agree:

Personally I'd vote for the person standing at the back looking stupid and dressed stupidly of the standing at the back looking stupid and dressed stupidly party (if we had one :greengrin )

jacomo
16-03-2014, 10:40 PM
If Scotland votes yes, Doncaster and Regan will be summarily executed and their heads displayed on pikes. Sure I read that somewhere.

It's a dilemma - I'm not in favour of capital punishment, but on the other hand...

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 10:50 PM

Oh i'm sorry. The Sky Sports deal is superb in Scotland.

I hope you can sleep better now.

lord bunberry
16-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Oh i'm sorry. The Sky Sports deal is superb in Scotland.

I hope you can sleep better now.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ScottB
17-03-2014, 05:37 AM
It depends, do we become a separate broadcast market from England? So like other countries a Scottish broadcaster would pay much less for the right to show English games?

HibeeEmma
17-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Not on the Sky deal but movement of players...

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/9172450/

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2014, 04:14 PM

Sorry, I disagree.

People vote in elections for a variety of reasons. They're all valid, because they matter to the individual.

If you want to vote a certain way because of the possible football consequences, you go for it. That's democracy.

Spike Mandela
17-03-2014, 04:48 PM
On a slightly different issue if Scotland vote to remain as part of the UK I think some countries in FIFA will bring forward a motion that states the UK should have a football team and not four individual teams.

If Scotland votes to not be an independent country then I think this would be a legitimate case. With limited openings at major championships I'm sure many countries would ask why the UK gets 4 cracks at qualifying.

sauzee_4
17-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Really hope the Yes side can allay people's fears over the negative (but unfounded) headlines the media/No campaign have been coming out with:

RBS are leaving - they haven't actually said that
Standard Life are leaving - they haven't said that
Lloyds are leaving - again, haven't said that
EC Commissioner states Scotland will not be allowed to join the EU - he has no say in who joins and has been roundly criticised, no member states have said they would veto us, even Spain
Salmond has no plan B on Currency - think he's said a million times it's A) a currency union B) the Pound with no debt taken on or C) a Scottish Currency or D) the Euro, that's more than a plan B

Hopefully Yes voters can explain these things to their friends etc.

Anyone who looks at this debate in detail will see there's not much of a choice to be made

Keith_M
17-03-2014, 05:06 PM
The contract is with the SPFL, so there is no reason for it to change.

Of course, if you ask the two sides in the "debate" one will tell you that the TV money will quadruple and a Scottish club will win the Champions League within five years under independence, whilst the other will tell you that separation means the TV money will stop immediately and Scottish teams will be banned from international competition.

Eh, haven't you got that back to front?

:wink:

I think if FIFA announced now that the UK 'nations' were no longed allowed to field four teams but had to merge into one, that would be enough to provide a Yes vote in September.

greenpaper55
17-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Really hope the Yes side can allay people's fears over the negative (but unfounded) headlines the media/No campaign have been coming out with:

RBS are leaving - they haven't actually said that
Standard Life are leaving - they haven't said that
Lloyds are leaving - again, haven't said that
EC Commissioner states Scotland will not be allowed to join the EU - he has no say in who joins and has been roundly criticised, no member states have said they would veto us, even Spain
Salmond has no plan B on Currency - think he's said a million times it's A) a currency union B) the Pound with no debt taken on or C) a Scottish Currency or D) the Euro, that's more than a plan B

Hopefully Yes voters can explain these things to their friends etc.

Anyone who looks at this debate in detail will see there's not much of a choice to be made

Maybe we should just stick to football matters and forget the SNP political broadcast as this will just fuel a political debate on a fans website, there are many other places to debate this topic other than here.

Keith_M
17-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Maybe we should just stick to football matters and forget the SNP political broadcast as this will just fuel a political debate on a fans website, there are many other places to debate this topic other than here.

Despite being an SNP supporter, and in favour of independence, I fully agree. I'd hate political debates to start breaking out on here....there are already enough arguments as it is :wink:

DarlingtonHibee
17-03-2014, 05:48 PM
We become a independent.
Does the sky deal still work, does it mean change or does it stay the same?

SKY wont be losing a wink of sleep over this.

All they want in terms of SPFL is the Old Firm game back - why ?

For all the wrong reasons it is about a global brand -in this case a bigoted brand - but guess what, it is watched around the world.

Look at yesterday, Man Utd v Lpool, Spurs v Arsenal, you could have watched those games in any major town anywhere on the planet .

SKY earn fortunes selling the global right's, major sponsors all want in, image rights etc....

Sheep v ICT (major final) - would have struggled to watch it in Darlo !!

The SPL contract is "crumbs" to SKY /BT - they do it mainly to keep the weagies happy -nothing else.

Also meant to add, don't forget (think it was Lex Gold and co, that made a decision to go with a broadcaster with no track record for something like 5-10 per cent less than SKY, then had to go back to SKY begging for a deal after said broad caster went bust- who do you think was the winner there ?

Bobby's Cinema
17-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Not on the Sky deal but movement of players...

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/9172450/
without getting too political, what utter s****.

The guys video interviews actually not bad, without the spin that's put on it in the article

SunshineOnLeith
17-03-2014, 07:08 PM
On a slightly different issue if Scotland vote to remain as part of the UK I think some countries in FIFA will bring forward a motion that states the UK should have a football team and not four individual teams.

If Scotland votes to not be an independent country then I think this would be a legitimate case. With limited openings at major championships I'm sure many countries would ask why the UK gets 4 cracks at qualifying.

If that happened the IAFB would boot it into touch so it's a non starter.

Phil D. Rolls
17-03-2014, 07:16 PM

In the event of a no vote, I think we should just lay Scottish nationality to rest for good, and get right behind the UK. We don't get it both ways, and any pretence at nationhood such as a national team, would just reinforce the silliness of the situation.

I don't see how we could argue with FIFA. Particularly as they are having to fight off the likes of Catalunya and Palestine, as they bid to be accepted as members.

sauzee_4
17-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Point taken, there are other places to discuss this the sub-forums of Hibs.net being one :agree:

For the record though never voted SNP in my life.

monktonharp
17-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Despite being an SNP supporter, and in favour of independence, I fully agree. I'd hate political debates to start breaking out on here....there are already enough arguments as it is :wink:despite not being an SNP supporter, and in favour of independence , I disagree. If people come on here and try to get there point over, in a sly way to denounce the yes campaign, then yes supporters have the right to condradict any trivial slant to the no campaign.

Eyrie
17-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Eh, haven't you got that back to front?

:wink:
Nope - it was a dig at those No campaigners who think we'll be frozen out by the international community just as the first part was a dig at the separatists who claim everything will be perfect because they have said so.

This is the football board and not The Holy Ground, so it's important to be an equal opportunity insulter.

I think if FIFA announced now that the UK 'nations' were no longed allowed to field four teams but had to merge into one, that would be enough to provide a Yes vote in September.
Anyone whose vote can be swayed that easily shouldn't be allowed near a ballot box.

yekimevol
17-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Dont Sky show the Irish leagues ? Cant see it affecting the game at all TBH.