PDA

View Full Version : Jay Shields

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Has retired through injury, only 29 aswell.

jacomo
16-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Has retired through injury, only 29 aswell.

Good luck to the guy with the next chapter of his life.

3pm
16-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Can still mind him crunching the jambo (Hartley?) in the run up to Deek scoring against the filth. Must be about 10 year ago. Think it was the game Benji scored the winner.

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Can still mind him crunching the jambo (Hartley?) in the run up to Deek scoring against the filth. Must be about 10 year ago. Think it was the game Benji scored the winner.

Think you might mean this game in 2006 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4929718.stm

Malkowski didn't half like a blunder. :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Looked a player when he first came into the team, a full-bloodied tough tackling full back. Probably too uncompromising for his own good and picked up a few injuries along the way. Nice chap and very much one of us, wish him well.

3pm
16-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Think you might mean this game in 2006 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4929718.stm

That's the one!

Centre Hawf
16-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Could he do a job?

In all seriousness sorry to hear this, but if we had a team that was willing to chuck themselves about as much as he was willing to we wouldn't have half the problems we do now.

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Could he do a job?

In all seriousness sorry to hear this, but if we had a team that was willing to chuck themselves about as much as he was willing to we wouldn't have half the problems we do now.

:agree:

At only 5ft 5, he was the biggest player on the pitch at times and never shrugged out of a challenge. Was a bit gutted when he left us.

ehf
16-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Was that the game when Benji ran all the way down to the yams end like a demented chicken after he score the winner? Could have sworn that was a midweek evening match, not early Saturday KO.

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Was that the game when Benji ran all the way down to the yams end like a demented chicken after he score the winner? Could have sworn that was a midweek evening match, not early Saturday KO.

Nope. Defo a 3pm Saturday KO. His celebration was most intriguing to say the least. :greengrin

erin go bragh
16-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Could he do a job?

Aye cause we would be top of the league if we had 11 Lewis Stevensons .
Effort is not the problem . Its the lack of skill and craft .
All the best to Jay .

Ggtth

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Great wee player. Loved his attitude.

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Aye cause we would be top of the league if we had 11 Lewis Stevensons .
Effort is not the problem . Its the lack of skill and craft .
All the best to Jay .

Ggtth

You don't need skill and craft to string a few passes together. We struggle to do even that, which would suggest that we do in fact, lack effort.

jdships
16-03-2014, 10:35 PM
You don't need skill and craft to string a few passes together. We struggle to do even that, which would suggest that we do in fact, lack effort.

:thumbsup::agree:

Billychaotic182
16-03-2014, 11:02 PM
I thought he looks like a real star when he broke through

frazeHFC
16-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Look at the Hibs and Hearts line-ups from that game, and compare them to now....

Shrekko
16-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Very sorry to hear this.

Remember an article in the EEN after that Hearts game when he said how proud he was when the whole ground was singing his name- he deserved it as well.

There will be a few go mental when I say this but I honestly think if he'd been a few inches taller he would have had a good career at SPL level.

yekimevol
17-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Look at the Hibs and Hearts line-ups from that game, and compare them to now....

:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

PerfectlyFranck
17-03-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm fairly confident that erin go bragh is correct…

Otherwise, it's news to me that you just need to put a lot of effort in order to play a decent pass…
Stanton has been a recent example of providing the effort whilst having the skill/craft to pass the ball about well.

I'd play out of my skin for Hibs, but I don't have the skill/craft to play a precise (or accurate) pass no matter how hard I try to, at least not without plenty of awful attempts.

Hibercelona
17-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm fairly confident that erin go bragh is correct…

Otherwise, it's news to me that you just need to put a lot of effort in order to play a decent pass…
Stanton has been a recent example of providing the effort whilst having the skill/craft to pass the ball about well.

I'd play out of my skin for Hibs, but I don't have the skill/craft to play a precise (or accurate) pass no matter how hard I try to, at least not without plenty of awful attempts.

Really? So you need to have skill to make an accurate pass to your team mate 5 yards away?

I must be a very highly skilled player then. I can manage this effortlessly.

hibeemikey21
17-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Really? So you need to have skill to make an accurate pass to your team mate 5 yards away?

Think there is a bit more to it than that. Drop you into an SPL game and you'd be chasing shadows and scuffing everything.

The better the level, the harder it is to do the simple stuff.

snooky
17-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Best wishes, Jay.
Harley's looking over his shoulder to this day :greengrin

Nailrod
18-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Very sorry to hear this... Remember an article in the EEN after that Hearts game when he said how proud he was when the whole ground was singing his name- he deserved it as well... There will be a few go mental when I say this but I honestly think if he'd been a few inches taller he would have had a good career at SPL level.I loved the guy. Had the heart of a lion and pretty good skills as well. Was sorry to see him go.

We might have struggled a bit with Shields at right back and Stevenson at left back though... :wink:

Cabbage East
18-03-2014, 08:33 AM
For that tackle on Hartley alone...:not worth

Haymaker
19-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Technique: Ability to perform an action e.g a short pass correctly
Skill: Ability to perform said action correctly in a game situation.

So yes, it does take skill.