PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

hibsbollah
15-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Absolutely dire from most of them, against a very average side.

Williams 7 MOTM. One outstanding save and a couple of good blocks.

McGivern 4 when did he last have a good game?
Hanlon 5 Nothing obviously shocking but part of a collective defence who can't organise themselves.
Nelson 4 See above
Forster 5

Cairney 5 surprised he was subbed.
Taiwo 3 I normally like him but poor today
Stanton 6 great assist
Watmore 5 first half like a ginger alan obrien. Second half better.

Collins 3
Cummings 4

Subs
Haynes nothing of note
Craig nothing of note

Another nail in the coffin of entertainment.

Crab apple
15-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Hanlon 5 Nothing obviously shocking but part of a collective defence who can't organise themselves.
Nelson 4 See above
Forster 5

Stanton 6 great assist

Collins 3
Cummings 4

Subs
Haynes nothing of note
Craig nothing of note

I'd agree with this. Only minor quibble would be that I actually thought Craig gave a bit of drive when he came on. I thought our fans were superb today. I assume the Berlin fans in the Thistle end are over for the Dons game tomorrow.

Hiber-nation
15-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Nelson 4 See above
Forster 5

Stanton 6 great assist

Collins 3
Cummings 4

Subs
Haynes nothing of note
Craig nothing of note

Agree mostly, although the McGivern and Collins marks are generous. Watmore was stuck on the left in the first half and was much better when moved to the right.

I've defended McGivern before on here but today his performance today was abysmal.

The back 4 consistently hoof the ball skywards due mainly to having no-one in midfield they can trust with the ball, the forwards are inept and our defending is shocking.

Having said that we could have sneaked an ill-deserved draw if Haynes had stuck away either of these 2 chances.

I'm backing TB all the way - he's inherited some poor players and if he thinks youth is the way to go next week go I'm all for it.

Benny Brazil
15-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Nelson 4 See above
Forster 5

Stanton 6 great assist

Collins 3
Cummings 4

Subs
Haynes nothing of note
Craig nothing of note

Think a 7 is a bit generous for Ben - rooted to his line again for the 2nd goal - he could have come and punched it or collected it, you can tell the defence have no confidence in him when a cross comes in like that.
Both full backs are poor in that position - I would drop Nelson and put Forster in there and bring in the RB from the U20s
Stanton played far too deep so wasnt effective in the way he can be.
Collins - dear oh dear - poor control and first touch, cant win anything in the air, not the quickest and that "attempt" he had in the first half would have been funny if he wasnt a Hibs player

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Think a 7 is a bit generous for Ben - rooted to his line again for the 2nd goal - he could have come and punched it or collected it, you can tell the defence have no confidence in him when a cross comes in like that.
Both full backs are poor in that position - I would drop Nelson and put Forster in there and bring in the RB from the U20s
Stanton played far too deep so wasnt effective in the way he can be.
Collins - dear oh dear - poor control and first touch, cant win anything in the air, not the quickest and that "attempt" he had in the first half would have been funny if he wasnt a Hibs player

Agreed. Good shot stopper, no doubt but like Dracula when it comes to crosses

As for McGivern .......... words fail me

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Agreed. Good shot stopper, no doubt but like Dracula when it comes to crosses

As for McGivern .......... words fail me

Wow ! For you to say that Jb, he must have been bad! :grr:

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Wow ! For you to say that Jb, he must have been bad! :grr:

It's so annoying. The ball came in and no-one was in Ben's path. He could easily have come and claimed it or even punched it clear. Poor goalkeeping and costly

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2014, 09:40 PM
It's so annoying. The ball came in and no-one was in Ben's path. He could easily have come and claimed it or even punched it clear. Poor goalkeeping and costly

Not good.........I was more referring to McGivern though (who I used to think was a great player!)

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Not good.........I was more referring to McGivern though (who I used to think was a great player!)

Dunno what's wrong with him although I always felt he got off lightly in the good old player ratings threads! As you know, I said of him after the Motherwell game that if I had a £1 for every time he gave the ball away it would cover the cost of my season ticket. After today I'm upgrading to the Executive suite :greengrin

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Dunno what's wrong with him although I always felt he got off lightly in the good old player ratings threads! As you know, I said of him after the Motherwell game that if I had a £1 for every time he gave the ball away it would cover the cost of my season ticket. After today I'm upgrading to the Executive suite :greengrin

:tee hee:

Nothing to do with him playing left back instead of your "love child" Lewis is it ?!?! :devil::greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 09:45 PM

Nothing to do with him playing left back instead of your "love child" Lewis is it ?!?! :devil::greengrin

Nope although at least Lewis would have tackled the guy for the first goal :wink:

hibsbollah
15-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Id have Lewis at leftback at the moment. Some of his best performances have been in that position, although if you believe all you read on here you'd never know.

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Id have Lewis at leftback at the moment. Some of his best performances have been in that position, although if you believe all you read on here you'd never know.

I honestly think that McGivern is a better option at left back than Lewis.

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 09:52 PM

What a surprise :greengrin

Benny Brazil
15-03-2014, 09:55 PM

Disagree. McGivern cant defend, stands off and lets a player run at him every time and rarely puts a tackle in. Gets caught too far up the pitch at times as well. Not saying Lewis is the answer in the long term but he is a better defender than McGivern. So I would put Lewis in at LB until we find a better option.

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 09:57 PM

I posted the following on the PM board earlier (proof that I am not saying Lewis should depose Ryan) :greengrin

I'd bring Andy Black in a right back. He's pacy, tenacious and very good going forward. I'd bring Ryan Baptie in at left back. Tall, athletic and gets up and down the wing with pace. Bringing in those two means we could move Forster into the middle with Hanlon, drop Nelson and McGivern, both of whom are hoofball merchants and have no pace whatsoever. We leak goals far too easily down the flanks so something has to change. Oh and I'd give Murdoch the keepers jersey. Whether the Williams/Marsella rumours are true or not, Ben has made a few costly errors recently

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I posted the following on the PM board earlier (proof that I am not saying Lewis should depose Ryan) :greengrin

I'd bring Andy Black in a right back. He's pacy, tenacious and very good going forward. I'd bring Ryan Baptie in at left back. Tall, athletic and gets up and down the wing with pace. Bringing in those two means we could move Forster into the middle with Hanlon, drop Nelson and McGivern, both of whom are hoofball merchants and have no pace whatsoever. We leak goals far too easily down the flanks so something has to change. Oh and I'd give Murdoch the keepers jersey. Whether the Williams/Marsella rumours are true or not, Ben has made a few costly errors recently

Anything is worth a try mate ! :agree:

It's a tricky one though.........with every game that passes the pressure mounts........not an ideal environment for blooding youngsters IMHO.

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2014, 10:01 PM

It's a tricky one though.........with every game that passes the pressure mounts........not an ideal environment for blooding youngsters IMHO.

Despite what butcher said in his post match interview today !!!!! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 10:01 PM

I agree it would be a risk but anything to get the hoofballers out of the starting eleven :greengrin

Hedlund12
15-03-2014, 10:05 PM

with you on that one JB.... glad I'm not alone with my desire to have BW dropped!

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Williams ......... 6 ...... Made some smart blocks and was quick off his line, exposed time and again by poor defenders.

McGivern .... 3 .... defending was terrible and time and again punted it up the line when the ball inside was on.

Nelson ... 3 .... Hoooooooofffffff

Hanlon .... 4 ... part of a piss poor defence, but played a couple of passes.

Foster .... 3 .... offered nothing going forward and as bad as everybody else at the back.

Taiwo ... 4 .... strted off OK but then just got worse.

Stanton ... 5 ... great play to set up the goal, but faded in and out a bit too much.

Cairney .... 3 .... offered nothing.

Watmore ... 4 .... did his best to screw up the goal, but a nice finish in the end ... lost count of the number of times the ball bounced off his shin and went to a Partick defender ... he needs to learn close control.

Collins .... 2 .... WTF?

Cummins .... 2 .... the poor lad just cant get a break ... he needs one badly and soon.

Subs ... comment aint worth the bother.

When the hell are we going to see a Hibs team on the park that can play football. It was hoof, punt, hoof, punt ... not a passing movement to be seen anywhere and its been like that for years now. The only difference between what Hibs put on and a pub team is that Hibs pay more to their players.

Why cant our team play passing intelligent football .... is it too much to bloody ask !!!!

calumhibee1
15-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Williams - 5 - poor for second goal.

Forster - 4 - part of a shamboljc defence
Nelson - 3 - awful
Hanlon - 3 - awful
McGivern - 3 - awful

Cairney - 5 - one of our better players but still poor
Stanton - 6 - tried hard but not much came off. Set up goal
Taiwo - 4 - offered nothing
Watmore - 5 - tired very easily although I think he will be a good player

Cummings - 5 - got about but didn't offer much
Collins - 1 - ****ing shambolic, absolutely awful player

FJG28
16-03-2014, 12:28 AM
Williams ......... 6 ...... Made some smart blocks and was quick off his line, exposed time and again by poor defenders.

McGivern .... 3 .... defending was terrible and time and again punted it up the line when the ball inside was on.

Nelson ... 3 .... Hoooooooofffffff

Hanlon .... 4 ... part of a piss poor defence, but played a couple of passes.

Foster .... 3 .... offered nothing going forward and as bad as everybody else at the back.

Taiwo ... 4 .... strted off OK but then just got worse.

Stanton ... 5 ... great play to set up the goal, but faded in and out a bit too much.

Cairney .... 3 .... offered nothing.

Watmore ... 4 .... did his best to screw up the goal, but a nice finish in the end ... lost count of the number of times the ball bounced off his shin and went to a Partick defender ... he needs to learn close control.

Collins .... 2 .... WTF?

Cummins .... 2 .... the poor lad just cant get a break ... he needs one badly and soon.

Subs ... comment aint worth the bother.

When the hell are we going to see a Hibs team on the park that can play football. It was hoof, punt, hoof, punt ... not a passing movement to be seen anywhere and its been like that for years now. The only difference between what Hibs put on and a pub team is that Hibs pay more to their players.

Why cant our team play passing intelligent football .... is it too much to bloody ask !!!!

Would agree with most this except cummings getting a 2

Feel bad for the guy scoring 30+ goals for the U20s must mean he has some potential. Seems daft to punt 30 yard balls to his head when he's sub 6 foot. Thought he was involved in our few good moves like playing in collins for a shooting opportunity. Just nothing to work with.

Thought Stanton looked tired maybe a wee break to get him fresh for the hearts game might help looked to be playing too deep to be effective today

cabbage_1982
16-03-2014, 12:31 PM
I've been looking at this and just want the fans to know the truth behind Terry Butcher and Kev T situation. Butcher stated to KT that he should get fit and quite rightly so after coming back from injury, every player needs to get back to speed. Now a month ago KT was as fit as the rest of the squad but still TB persisted in playing him in U20's. Now about 2 weeks ago TB told KT he would be back in the team as the players had been poor and as KT had been training well he'd be given his chance again. Now he just takes the piss by constantly snubbing him and saying he is not fit. TB is lying to the fans putting a player out of the game for no apparent reason. This is a personal thing that TB has with KT for some reason or another. Now if Hibs had been great in central mid and KT not playing, then fair enough but that has not been the case. If TB had Hibs best intentions at heart why not play an experienced player who would show the desire required to win.

Just thought I'd let everyone know the real truth behind this and talk of a fallout with Malpas etc is total rubbish.

Hib17
16-03-2014, 01:21 PM
I've been looking at this and just want the fans to know the truth behind Terry Butcher and Kev T situation. Butcher stated to KT that he should get fit and quite rightly so after coming back from injury, every player needs to get back to speed. Now a month ago KT was as fit as the rest of the squad but still TB persisted in playing him in U20's. Now about 2 weeks ago TB told KT he would be back in the team as the players had been poor and as KT had been training well he'd be given his chance again. Now he just takes the piss by constantly snubbing him and saying he is not fit. TB is lying to the fans putting a player out of the game for no apparent reason. This is a personal thing that TB has with KT for some reason or another. Now if Hibs had been great in central mid and KT not playing, then fair enough but that has not been the case. If TB had Hibs best intentions at heart why not play an experienced player who would show the desire required to win.

Just thought I'd let everyone know the real truth behind this and talk of a fallout with Malpas etc is total rubbish.

Needs to swallow his pride and get KT in middle of park. Absolutely shambolic yesterday

OsloHibs
16-03-2014, 11:20 PM

Really?

easty
16-03-2014, 11:31 PM

How is this "the truth" exactly? Who told you?

For me, KT is good enough to get in this team (christ...KT Tunstall is good enough to get in our team just now!) but I don't believe there's not a legitimate reason for not playing him. If KT has been disrespectful to the management then they should stick to their guns and leave him out. The fact that KT is a good player doesn't mean he can say or do whatever he wants. I'm not saying that's definitely whats happened, but it just has to be that, or an issue with his fitness or the level/standard of his training.

easty
16-03-2014, 11:34 PM
the marking (or lack of) by McGivern for that second goal was horrible. It was only Lee Mair, he's about the smallest, least aggressive centre back the SPL has ever seen, and he didn't even have to work for that goal. McGivern just watched.

ehf
17-03-2014, 12:04 AM
the marking (or lack of) by McGivern for that second goal was horrible. It was only Lee Mair, he's about the smallest, least aggressive centre back the SPL has ever seen, and he didn't even have to work for that goal. McGivern just watched.

Just seeing McGivern in a Hibs jersey, stealing a wage that I have contributed to, makes my blood boil, even more that Doherty or O'Donovan, and that saying something...

easty
17-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Just seeing McGivern in a Hibs jersey, stealing a wage that I have contributed to, makes my blood boil, even more that Doherty or O'Donovan, and that saying something...

I actually think McGivern has the ability to do well. He's not showing it though. I'd certainly not put him in the same class as that grade-A fud Doherty.

ehf
17-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I actually think McGivern has the ability to do well.

Extremely charitable of you.

GreenOnions
17-03-2014, 07:37 AM

I think this is where changes should start. I'm also really hoping that two overlapping full-backs are amongst Terry's first priorities in the summer. I think it also makes sense to give our own youngsters first bite at the cherry to see if they can make the step up. Over the last twelve months - and apart from Robertson - it's really been players who've come up through the ranks who've been our most impressive performers (Hanlon, Forster, Stanton, Stevenson and Harris).

We always struggle defensively against teams with pacey, direct wingers - particularly on big pitches like Easter Road. Equally important is the attacking aspect of having good overlapping full-backs. None of the players we've played at fullback has the sort of pace going forward that we need. I think that is crucial as part of giving our selves more passing options and "making the pitch bigger" when we are attacking.