PDA

View Full Version : Kallum Higgenbotham

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Sign him up for next season:agree:

SaulGoodman
15-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Probably wouldn't offer him enough wages.

The Gorf
15-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Why on earth would he want to come to Hibs?

Weststandwanab
15-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Why on earth would he want to come to Hibs? Took the words out of my mouth, however yes please Mr. Butcher.

Hibercelona
15-03-2014, 04:41 PM
We'd be calling him crap after 3 months when he doesn't get on the score sheet for us. That seems to be the way things are going at the moment.

The problems lie at the core of the club, not with the players themselves.

MSK
15-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Sign him up for next season:agree:Nah ..we just ruin good players ye know ..

Nailrod
15-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Sign him up for next season:agree:We've already nicked some other smaller club's management team because we're too useless to build our own. And that hasn't exactly worked out for us. I bet TB and MM are wishing to **** they'd stayed where they were.

Still, by all means let's flail around trying to solve our problems by nicking some smaller club's players as well. Like some useless parody of an Old Firm.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Ask him:wink:

banchoryhibs
15-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Could it be that fairly mediocre players look like world beaters when they play against us - because we are so poor it makes them look good?

We should be setting our sights higher.

Mind you he would do a good job for us in the Championship ....................

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Could it be that fairly mediocre players look like world beaters when they play against us - because we are so poor it makes them look good?

We should be setting our sights higher.

Mind you he would do a good job for us in the Championship ....................

He has looked good in just about every game he has played this season. Especially against Well, scoring twice. Hardly 'mediocre'. If we sign players from the lower english leagues in the summer like TB did at ICT, I take it they will be medicore aswell?

CallumLaidlaw
15-03-2014, 05:10 PM
same reason the likes of Liam Craig and Terry Butcher left teams that we're performing better than us

Michael
15-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I think he's just having a decent season. He has moments when he looks really good, but I don't think he'd do so well for us.

The squad is quite large this season, and I don't think he'd be a massive upgrade. I'd like to see us roll the dice a bit next year and opt for a smaller squad but try and attract 3 or 4 quality players with a decent wage. If we had injury problems we'd struggle, but we're doing that with a large squad as it is.

Scònaldò
15-03-2014, 05:22 PM
We've already nicked some other smaller club's management team because we're too useless to build our own. And that hasn't exactly worked out for us. I bet TB and MM are wishing to **** they'd stayed where they were.

Still, by all means let's flail around trying to solve our problems by nicking some smaller club's players as well. Like some useless parody of an Old Firm.

Here was me thinking signing good players is part and parcel of football. Obviously not?

Hibercelona
15-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Here was me thinking signing good players is part and parcel of football. Obviously not?

The 2nd part is getting good players to play good. If we can't do that, then there's really no point signing them in the first place.

cabbage_88
15-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Absolutely ripped us to shreds today from start to finish. Would take him any day

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

brog
15-03-2014, 09:58 PM

I posted similar about 3 years ago after he played against us for Falkirk in pre season. TBF I think until this season he's been too inconsistent but he's now really making the most of his undoubted talent. Hopefully our mgt can find us players of similar talent in the next window.

Bostonhibby
15-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Signs for Hibs next transfer window and crashes never to achieve again 2 games later, like most potentially decent players who were doing well before the bright lights of ER drew them in, we are not the attraction we were for talented SPL players and the further we decline the harder it will become. Frustrating.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Said this last summer. Not that he would have made any difference to our pathetic season to be honest

number9dream
16-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Best player on the park yesterday. He's got another year on his Thistle contract.

Centre Hawf
16-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Cracking player, would be willing to give a wee bit money plus a pick of any of the players we have left in the summer.

So just the money then.

Bostonhibby
16-03-2014, 06:02 PM
:faf:
Cracking player, would be willing to give a wee bit money plus a pick of any of the players we have left in the summer.

So just the money then.

:faf: We could offer them a training centre? Pity we don't still have Kuqi to tempt them. The 2 times I have seen us against Thistle they were better than us so it'd have to be cash, so no deal there then. Good player though, the type we don't seem to find.

Hibercelona
16-03-2014, 06:04 PM

:faf: We could offer them a training centre? Pity we don't still have Kuqi to tempt them. The 2 times I have seen us against Thistle they were better than us so it'd have to be cash, so no deal there then. Good player though, the type we don't seem to find.

We could offer them a grand spanking new stand to sweetin the deal.

Piqué
16-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Great left peg on the boy

Centre Hawf
16-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Surely our new 200 grand striker has doubled in price by now?!

Also I'm sure they'd feel obligated to let him talk to us after hearing Petries 5 year plan last year.

Jim44
16-03-2014, 06:32 PM
[QmUOTE=salinehibs;3932937]Why on earth would he want to come to Hibs?
same reason the likes of Liam Craig and Terry Butcher left teams that we're performing better than us[/QUOTE]

Strange as it may seem, our reputation as a big club with a proud history with potential for success has not quite dwindled in the eyes of some. Personally, if I had no allegiance to or connection with Hibs, I would consider Hibs as a club in irreversible ( in the short term ), or even permanent decline. If I were a player with a choice of where I could play, I would think twice about coming to ER. However, if Butcher's street cred and ability is as good as is it believed to be, and the clear out and replacement of dross is clinical, there is light at the end of this season's dark tunnel.

Twa Cairpets
16-03-2014, 06:44 PM
We've already nicked some other smaller club's management team because we're too useless to build our own. And that hasn't exactly worked out for us. I bet TB and MM are wishing to **** they'd stayed where they were.

So you suggest we only sign players from bigger clubs? The ones who haven't made to with them? Or do we only sign players form identical clubs?

Prize for least thought out post of 2014.

Fergus52
16-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Signing an SPL proven player who has caused us problems every time we've been against him, what a silly idea.

Northernhibee
16-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Signing an SPL proven player who has caused us problems every time we've been against him, what a silly idea.

We did that with Rowan Vine but he was branded as pish before he even kicked a ball.

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2014, 07:41 PM
We did that with Rowan Vine but he was branded as pish before he even kicked a ball.

He was. Even pish players can cause pish team's problems. KH however, is a different matter. Looks a player.

Daresay we'll stand back open-mouthed as he puts pen to paper for A'deen or Dundee United.

Northernhibee
16-03-2014, 07:44 PM
He was. Even pish players can cause pish team's problems. KH however, is a different matter. Looks a player.

Daresay we'll stand back open-mouthed as he puts pen to paper for A'deen or Dundee United.

If we sign Higgenbotham I bet we'll get the usual "cheap option", "****s sake Petrie why didn't we get Boyd" and all that kind of pish. We're stuck in a rut and it's the easiest thing to do.

The Voice Of Reason
16-03-2014, 07:54 PM

I only branded him as "pish" once I saw him "play" !

Do you concede that his performances for us were dreadful when he played?!

Northernhibee
16-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I only branded him as "pish" once I saw him "play" !

Do you concede that his performances for us were dreadful when he played?!

He wasn't the best but he was never given a chance. Our treatment of Vine shines badly on us as a club - it could well put off a player who is just needing a bit of extra confidence in signing for us.

Centre Hawf
16-03-2014, 08:04 PM
He wasn't the best but he was never given a chance. Our treatment of Vine shines badly on us as a club - it could well put off a player who is just needing a bit of extra confidence in signing for us.

He was pish for St Johnstone and he was pish for us. I was gutted we signed him as it was our only striker at that point. Bare in mind who we signed after him wasn't much better.

Jim44
16-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Rohan Vine may very well indeed have been a player who caused us problems before we signed him but since when did that constitute a player of quality? Our defence has a unique ability of making mediocre players look Madonna-esque. :-)

RIP Bestie
17-03-2014, 04:47 PM
There is already a thread about knee jerks on this forum. Play well against us and we should sign him. His record isn't all that great and he's played well against a team that has obviously chucked it. Afraid I want better than him. He wouldn't take us out of the mediocrity we find ourselves in at present. It does seem that a lot of fans have really lowered their expectation of the quality of player we should bring in and that's really sad

truehibernian
17-03-2014, 04:58 PM
There is already a thread about knee jerks on this forum. Play well against us and we should sign him. His record isn't all that great and he's played well against a team that has obviously chucked it. Afraid I want better than him. He wouldn't take us out of the mediocrity we find ourselves in at present. It does seem that a lot of fans have really lowered their expectation of the quality of player we should bring in and that's really sad

Not just against us, although he has a wee habit of scoring against us already ('Well and now the Magyars).

He's been a standout for Thistle all season, great wee player, would love him at Hibs - won't happen though.

RIP Bestie
17-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Not just against us, although he has a wee habit of scoring against us already ('Well and now the Magyars).

He's been a standout for Thistle all season, great wee player, would love him at Hibs - won't happen though.
His only goal for Motherwell.

truehibernian
17-03-2014, 05:16 PM
His only goal for Motherwell.

It's not his scoring ratio that impresses me - it's his pace, directness, close control and I've watched him in games not including Hibs this year - he's their player of the year, no doubt in my mind, and he'd improve our frontline - again, without doubt.

Centre Hawf
17-03-2014, 05:21 PM
It's not his scoring ratio that impresses me - it's his pace, directness, close control and I've watched him in games not including Hibs this year - he's their player of the year, no doubt in my mind, and he'd improve our frontline - again, without doubt.

God forbid we sign a player with actual talent on the ball.

RIP Bestie
17-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Same sort of thing was said about Cairney and Erskine from Thistle. Higginbothem isn't back in Scotland playing for Thistle because he's a top player.

truehibernian
17-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Same sort of thing was said about Cairney and Erskine from Thistle. Higginbothem isn't back in Scotland playing for Thistle because he's a top player.

There's a whole list of variables that mean a player can suddenly 'turn it on' at a club - ask Liverpool fans last season if they rated Jordan Henderson, then compare to this season - absolute chalk and cheese. I only comment on what I see with my own eyes, and this season, in games I've watched involving Partick Thistle, KH has been consistently good. Not a 'top player', but a very good player. I wouldn't describe Andrew Shinnie as a top player, yet I would love him at Hibs - KH reminds me of Shinnie last season with ICT. Very direct, wants on the ball, makes things happen and seems to have a really good attitude.

Hibs are not going to attract 'top players' - we need to start recruiting players who want to use Hibs to propel them to the next level with hard work and showcasing their skills. We've went down the journeyman route for too long and now we are paying the price for a horribly 'safe' signing policy. You can however substitute 'safe' for 'really poor'.

I only ask for a wee bit of debate Bestie - if KH was offered to Hibs on a 2 year deal, would you take him ? Or who in the SPFL, out of our competition would you sign realistically ?

SMAXXA
17-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I know Kallum he actually stays in Edinburgh and I agree he would be a decent signing. Direct with pace and good technique

truehibernian
17-03-2014, 06:11 PM
I know Kallum he actually stays in Edinburgh and I agree he would be a decent signing. Direct with pace and good technique

Sound him out mate :greengrin:aok: in all seriousness, Thistle and him look a good fit, but he's a really good player. Love the fact he is so direct, but plays with his head up and isn't a player who only has one string to his bow. Tell him he's been good to watch mate and all the best to Thistle, have a wee soft spot for them. He'd command a fee though so Rod would offer buttons - probably quite literally :greengrin

RIP Bestie
17-03-2014, 06:53 PM
There's a whole list of variables that mean a player can suddenly 'turn it on' at a club - ask Liverpool fans last season if they rated Jordan Henderson, then compare to this season - absolute chalk and cheese. I only comment on what I see with my own eyes, and this season, in games I've watched involving Partick Thistle, KH has been consistently good. Not a 'top player', but a very good player. I wouldn't describe Andrew Shinnie as a top player, yet I would love him at Hibs - KH reminds me of Shinnie last season with ICT. Very direct, wants on the ball, makes things happen and seems to have a really good attitude.

Hibs are not going to attract 'top players' - we need to start recruiting players who want to use Hibs to propel them to the next level with hard work and showcasing their skills. We've went down the journeyman route for too long and now we are paying the price for a horribly 'safe' signing policy. You can however substitute 'safe' for 'really poor'.

I only ask for a wee bit of debate Bestie - if KH was offered to Hibs on a 2 year deal, would you take him ? Or who in the SPFL, out of our competition would you sign realistically ?
I hope that if we were to sign him he turns out as you say, I really do. I just think that he has had opportunities at other clubs whether it be on permanent deals or loans and hasn't really set the heather alight. These haven't really been at any higher a level than we are at just now. I agree we won't sign top players and also agree that it would be great to find another Gordon Durie or the likes. I honestly think that Partick Thistle is his level as it is probably Cairney and Erskines. I'm not sure that Butcher will necessarily be looking at players from the SPFL but I don't see why we shouldn't be looking at players who would make a difference not just to the team but to our prospects. If you want me to name some players I would like to think that we could compete with Aberdeen Dundee Utd and ICT for the likes of Reynolds, Gunning and Shinnie. We seem to be prepared to accept that we won't sign these sort of players and that's really not good enough.

Famous Fiver
17-03-2014, 08:41 PM
If Higginbotham had been playing for us on Saturday we would have walked it. I would have swapped any one of Cairney, Collins, Haynes, Heffernan for him. If he had been laying on the chances for Cummings we would have had a field day.

RIP Bestie
17-03-2014, 09:19 PM
If Higginbotham had been playing for us on Saturday we would have walked it. I would have swapped any one of Cairney, Collins, Haynes, Heffernan for him. If he had been laying on the chances for Cummings we would have had a field day.
If my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle

kaimendhibs
18-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Would love Hibs to sign him, stood out like a sore thumb on Saturday and any other time I've seen him this season

Sent from my iphone

bigwheel
18-03-2014, 07:42 AM
I think Higgenbotham looks a "decent player" but he could easily become another John Rankin (Hibs version) or worse Rowan Vine if he moved to us....He is a player that will make mistakes. With players like that we seem to get on their backs quickly.

ekhibee
18-03-2014, 04:23 PM
There's always the possibility that Butcher ends up having to keep most of the dross that we can't sell on and Higgenbotham takes a "I'm no playing beside that pish" kind of attitude. Hope I'm wrong though.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-03-2014, 04:29 PM
There's always the possibility that Butcher ends up having to keep most of the dross that we can't sell on and Higgenbotham takes a "I'm no playing beside that pish" kind of attitude. Hope I'm wrong though.

Wouldn't blame him, I'd say the same:greengrin

number9dream
19-03-2014, 01:54 PM
The guy is under contract - as are almost all of the players at Inverness; Shinnie, Doran, Meekings etc - that get mentioned regularly as targets. He's not coming to ER any time soon unless Thistle manage to get themselves relegated.
Can't see Rod sanctioning a fee for a long while after coming a cropper with Collins...