PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher and patience

H18sry
15-03-2014, 03:22 PM
we seem to be in free fall at the moment heading to that dreaded play off spot, and I cannot see where our next win is coming from.

Is anybody else worried about this.

Give Butcher his due he knows how to get teams out of div 1.

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Wanted to get this in before the hysteria kicks in tonight.

Our main problem is that we've not been playing as a team for quite some time but as a bunch of individuals. For me this is something that has been fundamentally wrong with the club for some time; I'd love to know the reasons for it but it's something we probably never will.

Butcher is the right man for the job. He has a clear ethos about how he likes to get his team playing (quick, counter attacking football - get the ball up front, into the box and convert from there) and builds players to play in a certain way to match this.

The rest of this season isn't going to be that exciting, it's still a team not set up to play TB's football and it'd take time to turn that around.

We need to patient of Butcher and supportive of whatever changes he makes. Whether he signs an unknown from the lower leagues in England a'la Billy McKay and wants to get them playing his style of football or getting rid of players we'd not expect him to, I want us to build a team rather than eleven individuals and I want us to have a clear, defined style of play as that's what we've really lacked for some time.

Anything we gain from this season is a bonus for us IMO but the real work is yet to come.

DaveF
15-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Away to **** ya bam.

is my considered opinion.

Keith_M
15-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Go away

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 03:24 PM
we seem to be in free fall at the moment heading to that dreaded play off spot, and I cannot see where our next win is coming from.

Get ****ed.

Keith_M
15-03-2014, 03:24 PM
You're too late, they're already here

:greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?280191-Terry-Butcher-how-long-do-we-give-him

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I'd get rid of him now, and bring back a management dream team of Pat Fenlon and Colin Calderwood.

matty_f
15-03-2014, 03:26 PM
He had until 5 minutes ago and if he doesn't resign before full time I'll punch a goat.

MSK
15-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Give Butcher his due he knows how to get teams out of div 1.Behave yersel ffs ..

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Butcher out, H18sry in.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2014, 03:27 PM
He had until 5 minutes ago and if he doesn't resign before full time I'll punch a goat.

:faf: :top marks

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Butcher out, H18sry in.

I might manage Hibs as part of a gap year. Could be like the guest hosts on Have I Got News For You.

H18sry
15-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Away to **** ya bam.

is my considered opinion.

Go away

Get ****ed.

So we are all happy the way the team is playing and with the managers lackluster performances ?

Going out the cup to a team who had not won in 6 and not scored in 5.
Loads of incentives to renew our season tickets now.

SouthamptonHibs
15-03-2014, 03:29 PM
The squad Fenlon left us is guff, Sir Alex would toil with this bunch of players. Hope Butcher is the right man, he'll need to get a new team for next year on 2/3 year deals (unlikely to happen)

MontrealHibs
15-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Get a grip!

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 03:31 PM
So we are all happy the way the team is playing and with the managers lackluster performances ?

You do know that he only joined the club in November or so? And that it takes time to turn around a football club where things have been fundamentally wrong for a while like ours?

GGTTHibees
Butcher out, H18sry in.
:faf:

Northernhibee
Did we have to merge the threads? Would rather not have my post associated with such bed wetting.

GGTTHibees
15-03-2014, 03:39 PM

A manager can only do so much, its the players that are on the pitch

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Butchers using FENLONS "team". Judge Butcher this time next year when he has his own players.

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 03:42 PM

The amazing thing is that you seem so delighted by it you couldn't even wait to the end of the game before getting the boot in on our manager.

QMU-1875
15-03-2014, 03:57 PM
This club is in free fall and in my opinion would deserve its spot in the play-offs. We are an embarrassment.

OsloHibs
15-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I of course don't want him to go- but I am very worried. He doesn't seem to know his team as he chops & changes every week, and players haven't responded to him at all with some playing worse and I'm fed up with hearing 'wait till next season' - he should be getting the best outta all players now. That's Mr Butchers job.

Onion
15-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Look on the bright side, this just makes TB/MM's job easier in the summer. They will be able to go to Petrie with a whole team list of players we need to get us out of this hole - and our chief accountant will be in no position to argue.

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 04:01 PM
You know something, you're all right. Let's sack Butcher, let's sack Malpas, let's have the fans picking the team every week (why isn't Heffernan/KT/whoever getting a game before turning on them three games later), that makes perfect sense.

Nailrod
The squad Fenlon left us is guff, Sir Alex would toil with this bunch of players. Hope Butcher is the right man, he'll need to get a new team for next year on 2/3 year deals (unlikely to happen)We haven't any money. And we'll have even less money with fewer renewals next season. Where are we going to find some 'new team' that's any different from the team we already have when we're shopping in the same market with even less money? Why is it going to be any different from the last seven years?

HappyAsHellas
Ferguson took 10 years to turn round Utd but Butcher is expected to turn our motley crew around in 4 months? A bit of reality required methinks.

QMU-1875
15-03-2014, 04:03 PM
By the sounds of things Butcher really isn't happy with the standard of player within our football club, I hope he gets rid of the lot of them other than the young lads.

gillythehibby

Our main problem is that we've not been playing as a team for quite some time but as a bunch of individuals. For me this is something that has been fundamentally wrong with the club for some time; I'd love to know the reasons for it but it's something we probably never will.

Butcher is the right man for the job. He has a clear ethos about how he likes to get his team playing (quick, counter attacking football - get the ball up front, into the box and convert from there) and builds players to play in a certain way to match this.

The rest of this season isn't going to be that exciting, it's still a team not set up to play TB's football and it'd take time to turn that around.

We need to patient of Butcher and supportive of whatever changes he makes. Whether he signs an unknown from the lower leagues in England a'la Billy McKay and wants to get them playing his style of football or getting rid of players we'd not expect him to, I want us to build a team rather than eleven individuals and I want us to have a clear, defined style of play as that's what we've really lacked for some time.

Anything we gain from this season is a bonus for us IMO but the real work is yet to come.

You kidding? His football is rank and he's not exactly showing any major turn around. Possibbly has players not suite to his style but should be doing better with what he's got. Every week chopping and changing. If this was Yogi he would be getting slaughtered.

Onion
This club is in free fall and in my opinion would deserve its spot in the play-offs. We are an embarrassment.

Now, that's what you call a knee jerk. The last thing we need, want or deserve is to be in the play-offs as we'd be strong favourites to lose those games. Most of our players know they're out the door in the summer and wouldn't be too bothered if we went down.

It's now imperative that TB/MM find a way (any way) to get us over the line.

weonlywon6-2
15-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Butchers using FENLONS "team". Judge Butcher this time next year when he has his own players.

We have a team of players most knowing they are getting punted soon,also they are not very good either,put that together and its a lose lose situation:rolleyes:

Northernhibee
15-03-2014, 04:07 PM
You *** kidding? His football is rank and he's not exactly showing any major turn around. Possibbly has players not suite to his style but should be doing better with what he's got. Every week chopping and changing. If this was Yogi he would be getting slaughtered.

Nope, you've convinced me, let's sack him, Malpas, Marsella, Craig, Petrie, the pie stand staff. Let's repeat the same cycle over and over again. Let's sack his replacement, bring back Calderwood so we can sack him again.

H18sry
15-03-2014, 04:09 PM
The amazing thing is that you seem so delighted by it you couldn't even wait to the end of the game before getting the boot in on our manager.He is lucky I have waited this long .

woodyloon
15-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Many more Jekyll and Hyde performances and Butcher might walk away, you can almost see how baffled and disillusioned he looks and sounds.

He showed if stayed where he was, he had a good things going in Inverness.

Totally pissed off myself, almost 50 and I could burst into tears, it's unbelievable how easy beat we are and have been for the past few seasons. To many lows, it's becoming a chore with every passing week it harder to lift your optimism.

Swedish hibee
15-03-2014, 04:12 PM
You *** kidding? His football is rank and he's not exactly showing any major turn around. Possibbly has players not suite to his style but should be doing better with what he's got. Every week chopping and changing. If this was Yogi he would be getting slaughtered.

Completely agree with the part in bold.

Allan45
15-03-2014, 04:14 PM
A manager can only do so much, its the players that are on the pitch
Agree....

Steven_Hibs
15-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't rate Butcher and I'm not afraid to say it. You can say it's not his team etc, but he's still putting the same crap out every week. Tactics are just appalling and team selections are baffling, he's under pressure, and I don't think he will cope, he didn't have that kind of pressure at caley. The back four is a disgrace surely there are better players in the u20's. We have a Scottish internationalist that cannot get a game. I was absolutely furious after the Raith game. I will not be renewing my season ticket under these conditions. They'll have to drop the prices.

Yeah we can all say he needs his own players, but is he still going to persist with some of the utter dross currently in the squad. I could mention names but I'll probably just get shot down for it. What on earth is going on down at Easter Road.

gillythehibby
15-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Nope, you've convinced me, let's sack him, Malpas, Marsella, Craig, Petrie, the pie stand staff. Let's repeat the same cycle over and over again. Let's sack his replacement, bring back Calderwood so we can sack him again.

Do I say anywhere in my post about sacking TB ?

steakbake
15-03-2014, 04:19 PM
A rank rotten team seeing out the end of a pointless season with many of them expecting that they will get booted in the summer. TB must be given well into next season to turn this around. I think he'll do it. This is something we're just going to have to ensure for a bit longer.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Exactly, just as Collins won the cup with Mowbrays team. :timebomb:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Exactly, just as Collins won the cup with Mowbrays team. :timebomb:

Atleast he left behind a good team though:timebomb:

Jim44
15-03-2014, 04:30 PM
A rank rotten team seeing out the end of a pointless season with many of them expecting that they will get booted in the summer. TB must be given well into next season to turn this around. I think he'll do it. This is something we're just going to have to ensure for a bit longer.

I don't think Butcher will have any problem 'ensuring' that we have to 'endure' it till the end of the season. :greengrin

Swedish hibee
15-03-2014, 04:41 PM
His tactics are appalling. That's what I am astonished by. And making Nelson the captain....??

MSK
15-03-2014, 04:49 PM
His tactics are appalling. That's what I am astonished by. And making Nelson the captain....??Who would you have named Captain ..& why ?

LaMotta
15-03-2014, 04:50 PM
His tactics are appalling. That's what I am astonished by. And making Nelson the captain....??

I've read on here that John Collins Tactics were appalling, Mixups were appalling, Yogi's? , well they were appalling too as were Calderwoods and so were Fenlons.

This cant all be true.

jeffers
15-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Who would you have named Captain ..& why ?

Kevin Thomson, one of the few players in the squad with a bit of class. A player who won't stand by and watch while his team mates fanny about not trying a leg.

MSK
15-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Kevin Thomson, one of the few players in the squad with a bit of class. A player who won't stand by and watch while his team mates fanny about not trying a leg.Today ?...on the pitch today ..

Nailrod
15-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Kevin Thomson, one of the few players in the squad with a bit of class. A player who won't stand by and watch while his team mates fanny about not trying a leg.Yeah...

Well, apart from him?

jeffers
15-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Today ?...on the pitch today ..

Yes today. The fact he wasn't on the pitch was down to TB.

Radium
15-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Yes today. The fact he wasn't on the pitch was down to TB.

The manager does get to pick the team - and he was at Livi on Tuesday. The performance from Thomson that I saw was no better than when he was in the team. Maybe needs better players around him ...

Swedish hibee
15-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I've read on here that John Collins Tactics were appalling, Mixups were appalling, Yogi's? , well they were appalling too as were Calderwoods and so were Fenlons.

This cant all be true.

Where in my post do I mention former managers?
Terry is the manager, and now is all I care about, and his tactics are appalling.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Haven't read the thread but Butcher must be praying for this season to end. Deadwood out, Messi in.

jeffers
15-03-2014, 05:13 PM
The manager does get to pick the team - and he was at Livi on Tuesday. The performance from Thomson that I saw was no better than when he was in the team. Maybe needs better players around him ...

I'll admit I'm like a broken record when it comes to KT. He's definitely not been as consistent as I'd like, but imo when he's good he's by far and away our best holding/defensive midfielder. Maybe his injuries mean he can't sustain a consistent level of performance, but I just can't understand why TB is not giving him a chance, it's not as if our other midfielders are particularly good (Stanton excepted.)

wills
15-03-2014, 05:13 PM
With every new manager we all say he needs time to get his plans across and bring in players he wants, but if you look at guys like Derek Innes and McNamara they have changed the fortunes of Aberdeen and Dundeen Utd in the last year. What are we doing wrong? Does the blame lie with the board not backing the managers signing target? All these managers can't be bad we have to look at the board

Kaiser1962
15-03-2014, 05:15 PM
You kidding? His football is rank and he's not exactly showing any major turn around. Possibbly has players not suite to his style but should be doing better with what he's got. Every week chopping and changing. If this was Yogi he would be getting slaughtered.

TB took 3 and a bit seasons to get ICT playing decent stuff and took them to fourth 12-13 and they were going well this season when we got him here.

OsloHibs
15-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Where are we going to get all this money for a new team next season??

There's not many here not renewing season tickets (not me, I'll get mine) so less money there, and no hearts games...(maybe)

eggbamyasi
15-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Best post for couple weeks imo . Well said NH . Totally agree

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

LaMotta
15-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Where in my post do I mention former managers?
Terry is the manager, and now is all I care about, and his tactics are appalling.

Where did i say you had mentioned former managers?

My point is that every manager since Mowbray is apparently clueless on the tactic front according to some and Im just not having it that we've employed 6 managers, three of whom have played in world cups, and they all have poor tactics. I think our tactics have got very little to do with it, its far more about the terrible signing policy in place at Easter Road that has been going on for years.

JCHibby
15-03-2014, 05:39 PM

How certain are you the players are using the tactics that TB/MM are asking for?

Speedway
15-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Where did i say you had mentioned former managers?

My point is that every manager since Mowbray is apparently clueless on the tactic front according to some and Im just not having it that we've employed 6 managers, three of whom have played in world cups, and they all have poor tactics. I think our tactics have got very little to do with it, its far more about the terrible signing policy in place at Easter Road that has been going on for years.

Mowbray 'had no plan b', remember?

OsloHibs
15-03-2014, 05:44 PM
How certain are you the players are using the tactics that TB/MM are asking for?

Eh??

Is that not a manager's job ??????

(((Fergus)))
15-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Terry Butcher should be given carte blanche to turn this around. Do you think that Hibs could attract a better manager, with a better recent SPL record, than Terry Butcher? Changing the manager every 18 months has been tried and is clearly not the answer. Something else has to change. The stadium is in place, the training centre is in place, the manager is in place - that just leaves the players and the board in question. (Oh, and the fans too.)

LaMotta
15-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Mowbray 'had no plan b', remember?

haha id forgotten about that, so make that 7, Blobby def makes it 8 in a row then, and poor Franck must be 9. Was McLeish exempt? I cant remember that far back :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2014, 07:15 PM
I watched the bench closely Today, and TB sat back and never really got animated until about ten minutes from the end. If that was me I would have been out shouting, cajoling, instructing....... Seemed to me to be devoid of ideas, as for getting the ball up the park quicker, this hoofball is torture to watch......

3pm
15-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I watched the bench closely Today, and TB sat back and never really got animated until about ten minutes from the end. If that was me I would have been out shouting, cajoling, instructing....... Seemed to me to be devoid of ideas, as for getting the ball up the park quicker, this hoofball is torture to watch......

You have a bit passion and wouldn't go through the motions.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Doesn't Malpas do most of the standing up and talking? Wasn't at the game today (glad I never went too. Fairplay and well done for going through btw.)

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2014, 07:20 PM
You have a bit passion and wouldn't go through the motions.

You offering me the gig R?:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Doesn't Malpas do most of the standing up and talking? Wasn't at the game today (glad I never went too. Fairplay and well done for going through btw.)

Malpas was out shouting but to little effect, and spent most of second half slumped against dug-out ala Sauzee at Hampden

3pm
15-03-2014, 07:22 PM
You offering me the gig R?:wink:

Best o 21 at pool...winner gets the gig? Loser the assistant? :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Malpas was out shouting but to little effect, and spent most of second half slumped against dug-out ala Sauzee at Hampden

Hmmm. Would like to see what goes on in training.

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Best o 21 at pool...winner gets the gig? Loser the assistant? :greengrin

Not sure I want you as my assistant:greengrin

Weir7
15-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Hahahahah

Tawio. Craig. Cairney. All junk today. Thomson done fine on Tuesday.

MSK
15-03-2014, 07:25 PM
I watched the bench closely Today, and TB sat back and never really got animated until about ten minutes from the end. If that was me I would have been out shouting, cajoling, instructing....... Seemed to me to be devoid of ideas, as for getting the ball up the park quicker, this hoofball is torture to watch......Baldy, loads o managers sit wi arms folded etc ..some are animated some aint, he can whistle, wave arms, shout, scream ..its the players he has at his disposal ..they could be superstars in training but flumps on the park ..believe me, he will know by now the job he has on his hands & Im confident he will get the right players in & the right balance ..Butcher like the rest of us cant wait on this season ending ..

3pm
15-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Not sure I want you as my assistant:greengrin

I won the last one....why do you think I have not been back for 5 months!!! :greengrin

Lost 12, won 1....but the last one counts!!! Ha Ha!!

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Baldy, loads o managers sit wi arms folded etc ..some are animated some aint, he can whistle, wave arms, shout, scream ..its the players he has at his disposal ..they could be superstars in training but flumps on the park ..believe me, he will know by now the job he has on his hands & Im confident he will get the right players in & the right balance ..Butcher like the rest of us cant wait on this season ending ..

He has a hell of a job rebuilding the squad, but one of the main concerns for me at present, is our hoofball approach to games......I'm all for getting ball forward quickly, but would rather see it through one touch, give and go, pacy football...

IberianHibernian
15-03-2014, 07:28 PM
A manager can only do so much, its the players that are on the pitchOf course but in 8 repeated fixtures so far we have got 6 points less than with PF despite having transfer window and return of Harris , Cairney and Nelson .

Heisenberg
15-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Of course but in 8 repeated fixtures so far we have got 6 points less than with PF despite having transfer window and return of Harris , Cairney and Nelson .

So are you saying Butcher out, Fenlon in? :confused:

hibbymick
15-03-2014, 07:36 PM
He's going to need some pot of cash to change this team.

Billy Whizz
15-03-2014, 07:41 PM
He has a hell of a job rebuilding the squad, but one of the main concerns for me at present, is our hoofball approach to games......I'm all for getting ball forward quickly, but would rather see it through one touch, give and go, pacy football...

I agree, terrible way to play football, apart from the 1st 20 mins today. Don't know why we play midfield players, as we play it beyond them.
Felt really sorry for Jason Cummings today, not his best game, but what chance has he got with the type of service he was getting. The under 20's don't play this way

IberianHibernian
15-03-2014, 07:51 PM
So are you saying Butcher out, Fenlon in? :confused:No but I`m saying that maybe the squad isn`t as bad as some are saying . We seemed to appoint TB without having a full selection process because he had a very good knowledge of the league and so could be expected to improve results and performances in a short time . He also mentioned in interviews that his contacts and fame in England do sometimes help attract players . Do you think Petrie paid compensation etc for a new manager to get worse league. results and a cup exit against a lower league team while crowds didn`t increase at all except in New Year Derby ? I actually think we could still make top 6 ( will depend on how much St J want it ) but wouldn`t rule out playoff either though presumably we have an advantage over rivals with such an experienced manager .

calmac12000
15-03-2014, 07:54 PM
To be honest Hibs were rank rotten today and tbh Thistle probably deserved their win. We'll need to get our finger out or we'll be fighting for our Premiership survival.
Looking at our potential rivals I'd say only Thistle are a better team than we are. However depressing that May or may not be we'll have to start winning or we'll be in a scrap that we don't seem to have the bottle or indeed the ability at times for.

CraigHibee
15-03-2014, 08:14 PM
The squad Fenlon left us is guff, Sir Alex would toil with this bunch of players.

and this is what some folk can't quite seam to understand!

we need (at the very least) the summer window and the winter window to get the players in that are required to turn the team around, i expect the majority of the team to be emptied at the end of the season

Hibercelona
15-03-2014, 08:19 PM
and this is what some folk can't quite seam to understand!

we need (at the very least) the summer window and the winter window to get the players in that are required to turn the team around, i expect the majority of the team to be emptied at the end of the season

But we've been playing the same kind of dross for several years, despite managers and players. I keep saying this.

I'm not convinced that yet another overhaul will change anything. It can't just be pure coincidence that every player and manager that comes to the club, turns out to be far more dire than expected.

By all means, lets give Butcher time. But what will we do if yet again, it doesn't change anything? Do we bring in yet another managerial team and give them time, only for the exact same outcome yet again?

There seems to be deep rooted problems at the club that are just not being addressed.

ronaldo7
15-03-2014, 08:22 PM

He's been like that since he started. He sits and watches the games and only when their's a flare up does he get agitated. He has Malpas out on the touchline for most of the game.

stevejordan
15-03-2014, 08:45 PM
The facts are we have had NO IMPROVEMENT UNDER TERRY. we should have stuck withe paddy he brought the players in and understood them

Hibercelona
15-03-2014, 08:47 PM
The facts are we have had NO IMPROVEMENT UNDER TERRY. we should have stuck withe paddy he brought the players in and understood them

You did your best Paddy, but you have to let it go. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Wow

Edit: Is that because they were mostly Irish? :greengrin

stevejordan
15-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow

Edit: Is that because they were mostly Irish? :greengrin

results please facts please show Paddy v Terry prove your case please ? results :confused:

Jonnyboy
15-03-2014, 08:53 PM
results please facts please show Paddy v Terry prove your case please ? results :confused:

Let me ask you a question. Do you really believe Pat Fenlon should have kept the job?

ronaldo7
15-03-2014, 08:54 PM

I take it your were on the sauce today R.

Poor post.

DaveF
15-03-2014, 09:05 PM

I've got this far and not bothered with the rest of the replies.

What's your solution?

Whataball
15-03-2014, 09:40 PM
For over 40 years I've watched Hibs and in that time I've enjoyed McLeish and Moybray. The rest, despite the Skol cup has been gash. Keep going though. Today is another set back. What the **** is wrong with our club? Simples. Bad managers and crap players. Who allows this to go on? Make your own mind up but I sit with 11 season ticket holders who have lost interest and our kids have lost interest. I trust and hope Butcher turns it around but bloody hell if history is anything to go by its going to be be a long crap journey. Sorry, I love Hibs but I plus many others have paid for and are due better.

Thecat23
15-03-2014, 09:50 PM

You need to clear some of your pm's mate. Can't reply to you until you do.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 10:05 PM
You need to clear some of your pm's mate. Can't reply to you until you do.

Will do that now bud.

IberianHibernian
15-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Let me ask you a question. Do you really believe Pat Fenlon should have kept the job?Steve will answer for himself but league results clearly show that we are doing worse resultswise under TB than before he arrived . Better not to mention the cup . Performancewise ? I`ll leave that for fans who see all / most of our matches to judge - I was lucky enough to be at the matches in our good run at Christmas and was only impressed by results . Merits or otherwise of PF , CC and others before have all been debated here before but I definitely think it`s a mistake to change managers in November ( thought the same with Yogi and Fenlon and maybe even with CC though he seemed to want out anyway ) or any other time mid season unless there`s a big reason for it eg manager leaving like McLeish or some scandal . If a manager leaves midseason cause of bad results then have your Director of Football to fill in or appoint a manager with record of making a quick impact for a few months . Another example of more need for D of Football / extra help for manager - we were playing pre season friendlies less than a month after cup final , less than 3 weeks for 3 players who were in Scotland Under 20 team , lots of examples of teams struggling after long season ( we were relegated in 1980 after 3 cup finals in 1979 for example ) so manager was left to run pre season without knowing if Griffiths or Claros would continue and with almost no time to let new players settle in . Anyway , priority now is to get players performing like they were before TB arrived ( or better ) and to try to forget about relegation . As I`ve said before , someone to be Director of Football would help but rushed decisión ( though I`m sure it wasn`t that rushed a decisión - maybe made in summer ? ) may make it difficult - would TB and MM accept advice from others ?

ehf
15-03-2014, 10:17 PM

We've heard that mantra for seven years now, with six different managers names in the Butcher and Fenlon slot...

IberianHibernian
15-03-2014, 10:30 PM
For over 40 years I've watched Hibs and in that time I've enjoyed McLeish and Moybray. The rest, despite the Skol cup has been gash. Keep going though. Today is another set back. What the **** is wrong with our club? Simples. Bad managers and crap players. Who allows this to go on? Make your own mind up but I sit with 11 season ticket holders who have lost interest and our kids have lost interest. I trust and hope Butcher turns it around but bloody hell if history is anything to go by its going to be be a long crap journey. Sorry, I love Hibs but I plus many others have paid for and are due better.Been watching Hibs for 47 years so more or less the same but also old enough to have enjoyed teams with MacFarlane and Turnbull and other managers . Don`t agree entirely about crap managers and players . Managers like Yogi and Fenlon had very good records before they joined us and both took us to Europe which I presume is our mínimum target each year . Neither were given the chance to repeat a European place and noone knows if they would have succeeded if given time . Players ? With almost no decent players in Scotland and English clubs paying mediocre players huge wages ,we`re forced to look at players who may have been good but have fallen away for some reason ( injury , attitude , other problem...) so , whoever is in charge , signings will be a gamble . Solution ? More youth players and look elsewhere for signings ( we signed a couple of good Irish youngsters when Fenlon was with us but Cody got injured , what about Scandinavians ? , have we ever tried to build on links with other countries of ex players ? )

Emerald
15-03-2014, 10:51 PM
We've heard that mantra for seven years now, with six different managers names in the Butcher and Fenlon slot...

Fenlon was a rotten part time manager with no real experience and TB is now having to work with an unbalanced team of rubbish. Fenlon was given more time than he deserved, signing I believe 30 or so players. Butcher hasn't had that opportunity yet but he is being downed already by some folk. People really think "The Heff" is the answer,a slow 33 year old FFS is that what we're crying out for??. Give Butcher the chance to butcher Fenlons pish and try to build a balanced team after the summer.

I do also agree that the problems at Hibs go deeper but its not Petrie's fault as he's only an employee of the owner and carrying out his instructions.

P.S. This is not a direct reply to your post BTW just tagging on my views.

ehf
15-03-2014, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Emerald;3933542]Fenlon was a rotten part time manager with no real experience and TB is now having to work with an unbalanced team of rubbish. Fenlon was given more time than he deserved, signing I believe 30 or so players. Butcher hasn't had that opportunity yet but he is being downed already by some folk. People really think "The Heff" is the answer,a slow 33 year old FFS is that what we're crying out for??. Give Butcher the chance to butcher Fenlons pish and try to build a balanced team after the summer.

I do also agree that the problems at Hibs go deeper but its not Petrie's fault as he's only an employee of the owner and carrying out his instructions.

P.S. This is not a direct reply to your post BTW just tagging on my views.[/QUOTEy]

I have played and coached football at a reasonably high level for many years and I know that coaching is key to success. At any given level, the players of any one team will be, by and large, roughly of similar technical ability as the players of those teams with whom they are competing. But that is only about 20% of the picture. The other 80% or so is down to coaching/management: tactics, organisation, motivation, confidence, discipline and, most of all, team spirit and harmony. I will repeat that, because it is so important - team spirit and harmony. Watch the 6-2 game again and you will see that in spades. Or the CIS cup final from 2007. We haven't had it since then, save for a little bit under Fenlon that was totally down to Sparky, and it is sadly all too clear that we are not going to have it under Butcher and Malpas.

Emerald
15-03-2014, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=Emerald;3933542]Fenlon was a rotten part time manager with no real experience and TB is now having to work with an unbalanced team of rubbish. Fenlon was given more time than he deserved, signing I believe 30 or so players. Butcher hasn't had that opportunity yet but he is being downed already by some folk. People really think "The Heff" is the answer,a slow 33 year old FFS is that what we're crying out for??. Give Butcher the chance to butcher Fenlons pish and try to build a balanced team after the summer.

P.S. This is not a direct reply to your post BTW just tagging on my views.[/QUOTEy]

I have played and coached football at a reasonably high level for many years and I know that coaching is key to success. At any given level, the players of any one team will be, by and large, roughly of similar technical ability as the players of those teams with whom they are competing. But that is only about 20% of the picture. The other 80% or so is down to coaching/management: tactics, organisation, motivation, confidence, discipline and, most of all, team spirit and harmony. I will repeat that, because it is so important - team spirit and harmony. Watch the 6-2 game again and you will see that in spades. Or the CIS cup final from 2007. We haven't had it since then, save for a little bit under Fenlon that was totally down to Sparky, and it is sadly all too clear that we are not going to have it under Butcher and Malpas.

Agree with most of that but you can't say that about TB & MM at this stage, there is something way not right. They need to be given a chance and at least one summer transfer window.

johnrebus
15-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Can only say that for the first time in my life am just utterly ****ing speechless.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Can only say that for the first time in my life am just utterly ****ing speechless.

About todays game or some of the comments on this thread? (Not a dig at anyone)

The_Horde
15-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Did Thomson not get injured midweek?

Chibs
16-03-2014, 12:44 AM
For over 40 years I've watched Hibs and in that time I've enjoyed McLeish and Moybray. The rest, despite the Skol cup has been gash. Keep going though. Today is another set back. What the **** is wrong with our club? Simples. Bad managers and crap players. Who allows this to go on? Make your own mind up but I sit with 11 season ticket holders who have lost interest and our kids have lost interest. I trust and hope Butcher turns it around but bloody hell if history is anything to go by its going to be be a long crap journey. Sorry, I love Hibs but I plus many others have paid for and are due better.
Moybray? Fair enough spelling error on your part.
so since the Skol cup win 1991 (seriously doubt you can tell me who we beat or who scored)you say it has been gash. Does the numbers six two ring any bells in your deluded mind,perhaps you and your eleven mates boycotted the game that night.there was also another league cup victory in 2007.
my advice to you and your mates is to go and buy season tickets for hearts next season.
oops not sure if that will be possible.

HoboHarry
16-03-2014, 12:55 AM
To the Saturday afternoon drama Queens - listen to the Paul Lambert interview and particularly around the 1:48 mark talking about time required to build a team. Of course he is highly regarded as a manager and won the European Cup as a player so he probably deosn't know as much a the iphone warriors on this forum....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26493266

Moon unit
16-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Well said.it's tempting to launch into an hysterical outburst after another poor performance..but it won't get us anywhere.
The worrying aspect was how weak we looked and how Partick outplayed us in the 2nd half, whilst we continued to play Hoofball!
Once safety in the league is guaranteed(!)...I would be tempted to give the young lads a game,I would prefer watching them than some of the current lot!

Jim44
16-03-2014, 09:36 AM
"Once safety in the league is guaranteed(!)...I would be tempted to give the young lads a game,I would prefer watching them than some of the current lot!"

Unfortunately, the way we are playing and the results we are getting, guaranteed safety seems a long way away.

Whataball
16-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Moybray? Fair enough spelling error on your part.
so since the Skol cup win 1991 (seriously doubt you can tell me who we beat or who scored)you say it has been gash. Does the numbers six two ring any bells in your deluded mind,perhaps you and your eleven mates boycotted the game that night.there was also another league cup victory in 2007.
my advice to you and your mates is to go and buy season tickets for hearts next season.
oops not sure if that will be possible.

So a spelling mistake makes me a jambo? You should hand your user name back pal. Yes I've seen some good wins and cups but we have underachieved in the league for too long. Plenty other clubs seem to move forward. Hopefully Butcher gets us there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Did we have to merge the threads? Would rather not have my post associated with such bed wetting.

Get over yersel man

johnrebus
16-03-2014, 01:53 PM
About todays game or some of the comments on this thread? (Not a dig at anyone)

Everything.

:boo hoo:

Beefster
16-03-2014, 04:02 PM
This place is ****ing nuts.

Chibs
16-03-2014, 04:43 PM
This place is ****ing nuts.
Coco or brazil :greengrin