PDA

View Full Version : Tony Benn, Hibs Supporter?

McPhisto2
14-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Someone on the EEN comments page has claimed the late, great Tony Benn as on of our own?
Anyone aware of this? If so, proof!?

Paisley Hibby
14-03-2014, 11:20 AM
someone on the een comments page has claimed the late, great tony benn as on of our own?
Anyone aware of this? If so, proof!?

lol

Saturdays Hero
14-03-2014, 11:28 AM
It's true he had a season ticket for the East,u would often see him conducting Section 43 into a singsong.

Clarence
14-03-2014, 11:38 AM
His Dad William Wedgwood Benn "served as MP for Leith from 1918 to 1927, following a distinguished war service. He supported the call for Leith to remian independent from Edinburgh in the "Lightning plebiscite" of 1920." taken from the council website.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Aye he was but stopped going when they banned baccy from the grounds...:cb

The Green Goblin
14-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Isn't he still alive?

givescotlandfreedom
14-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Isn't he still alive?

Died today mate.

wookie70
14-03-2014, 01:53 PM
I can't think of anyone I would rather sit next to in a football stadium than Tony Benn. A true legend.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2014, 01:55 PM
His Dad William Wedgwood Benn "served as MP for Leith from 1918 to 1927, following a distinguished war service. He supported the call for Leith to remian independent from Edinburgh in the "Lightning plebiscite" of 1920." taken from the council website.

Was about to say that. My Leither granda used to talk fondly of him.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Died today mate.

Absolutely gutted. He was really the last of the anti-establishment politicians who spoke out seriously about injustice, war, privatization. A great figure gone.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Sad to hear of his passing...One of the few politicians that actually had the balls to say out loud what he thought...I have worked on his country pile out near Linlithgow, The House of Binns, on quite a few occasions and he was always happy to talk to the plebs....Nice guy and a Hibby... RIP

Isn't that Tam Dalyell?

hibsbollah
14-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I can't think of anyone I would rather sit next to in a football stadium than Tony Benn. A true legend.

He attended Chesterfield games quite regularly, I remember him talking about their famous cup semi final against Juninho's Middlesbrough a few years back. Almost a historic upset.

fat freddy
14-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Isn't that Tam Dalyell?

ooops...i always got those two maverik left wingers mixed up....your right of course, tony was the diaries and tam was the belgrano...better delete my previous post.

The Green Goblin
14-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Died today mate.

Ah, I just saw on the BBC app. Thanks for telling me. I agree with the comments on here, the last of his kind and a legend. I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

One Day Soon
14-03-2014, 03:52 PM

I can. Lots and lots of people in fact.

Not a legend for me. Central figure in making and keeping the Labour Party unelectable during Thatcher's time, extending her destructive reign in doing so. Interesting guy from a very privileged background who could afford to see successive Tory governments - because he didn't have to live the consequences of those governments. His pursuit of political purity and defence of Militant meant others paid the price.

Anyway, not a Hibee and not a thread for the main board in my view.

ehf
14-03-2014, 04:00 PM
It's true he had a season ticket for the East,u would often see him conducting Section 43 into a singsong.

Remember seeing him up Cockburn Street tanning shop windows and chanting "Eddie Turnbull's Soccer Hooligans" the night we lost the Scottish Cup replay to Arbroath.

portycabbage
14-03-2014, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=One Day Soon;3931476]I can. Lots and lots of people in fact.

Not a legend for me. Central figure in making and keeping the Labour Party unelectable during Thatcher's time, extending her destructive reign in doing so. Interesting guy from a very privileged background who could afford to see successive Tory governments - because he didn't have to live the consequences of those governments. His pursuit of political purity and defence of Militant meant others paid the price.

Anyway, not a Hibee and not a thread for the main board in my view.[/QUOTE

He wasn't from an overly privileged background in as much as he wasn't from the aristocracy as some have claimed. And Tony Blair made Labour electable and that didn't do much to halt Thatcherism! If the world had more like Benn we'd be better off.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2014, 04:18 PM

He wasn't from an overly privileged background in as much as he wasn't from the aristocracy as some have claimed. And Tony Blair made Labour electable and that didn't do much to halt Thatcherism! If the world had more like Benn we'd be better off.

How would you define the aristocracy?

He was Viscount Stansgate, as was his father.

portycabbage
14-03-2014, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=portycabbage;3931492]

How would you define the aristocracy?

He was Viscount Stansgate, as was his father.

His father was made a lord which transferred to him, but he was from a middle class background. That's what was said on radio scotland this morning anyway. The labelling of him as some kind of gentry tends to be clung to by Tory grandees more than the workers he campaigned on behalf of.

lucky
14-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Got agree if more off our politicians had been like Tony Benn rather than Tony Blair I'm sure the UK and the rest of the world would be a better place

Liberal Hibby
14-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Anyway surely he was a red?

ancient hibee
14-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Sat in a Labour Cabinet that closed twice as many pits than Thatcher ever did.Not something he liked being questioned about when he became a man of the people.

Golden Bear
14-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Just because he's deid will not alter my opinion - he was a mischievous argumentative auld rogue!

#hibee
14-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Speaking of famous polititians has anyone heard the Saddam Hussein was a hibee rumour? Genuinely serious too!

Saorsa
14-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Speaking of famous polititians has anyone heard the Saddam Hussein was a hibee rumour? Genuinely serious too!Really! :hilarious

#hibee
14-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Really! :hilarious

Apparently so. It was George Galloway who got into Scottish Football apparently, during the McLeish era too.

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Gengis Khan and Alexander the Great were both Hibby's, but I'm not sure about Attila, I think he might have been a Hun.

MKHIBEE
14-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Sat in a Labour Cabinet that closed twice as many pits than Thatcher ever did.Not something he liked being questioned about when he became a man of the people.

Care to provide evidence of the pit closure claim? Not saying you are wrong, just find it hard to figure out.

hibsbollah
14-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Care to provide evidence of the pit closure claim? Not saying you are wrong, just find it hard to figure out.

Its true, but isnt particularly relevant. Under Harold Wilsons government in the 60s, the bloated and inefficient coal industry was still operating as if it were wartime, (king coal literally powered the production of the war against Hitler)so strictly speaking there were more closures than under Thatcher. But the post war Labour party didnt close entire communities, employ a corrupt and politicised arm of the police force as a quasi military body, and declare war on an 'enemy within', so there is no sensible, objective comparison to be made between 1960s economic reconstruction on one hand and 1980s economic vandalism on the other.

MKHIBEE
14-03-2014, 06:59 PM

Apologies, between 64 and 87 labour closed 70% of all pits closed, will have to look a the situation in greater depth before I comment further