PDA

View Full Version : Malpas Gets It Out And Lays It On The Table

Speedway
13-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Fair assessment?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-need-to-be-mentally-stronger-malpas-1-3337336

The big thing with me and Terry is that we’re really strong mentally and sometimes we take it for granted that we’ve been here for a long time and that the players will have the same mental attitude as us, but obviously that isn’t the case,” said Malpas. “We’ve only been here four months so we’re still trying to get our ways across to them and getting them to buy into what we’re doing. Technically and physically they are good enough but it’s the mental side we need to work on.

“For example, in the Dundee United game we deserved a lot of criticism and we got a lot of criticism. We had to accept that criticism and we were at the players throughout the following week telling them that we’ve got to accept the criticism but not let it affect us in games.”

After a week of trying to “get into the players’ psyche”, Malpas saw hints of a collective strength of character in the way Hibs fought back from 2-0 down in last weekend’s 3-3 draw with Motherwell. He hopes they can again show their mettle in what he expects to be a “blood and snotters” battle on a poor playing surface at Caledonian Stadium.

“I thought they were mentally strong against Motherwell last Saturday,” he explained. “At 2-0 down, the fans were, quite rightly, getting a bit agitated but the players were strong enough to come back and get 3-2 ahead. That’s what we want from them mentally. We want them to be so strong in their heads that nothing affects them.

“The crowd can do whatever they want. We want them to be behind us, but it’s up to us to get them off their seats, not the other way about. The players need to understand that if they’re playing poorly, they’re not against them. They’re just moaning because they’re not enjoying what they’re seeing.

“It’s not just the crowd, though, it’s about dealing with everything. When we were at Inverness, teams used to turn up and if the pitch or the weather wasn’t great we could tell that the other team didn’t fancy it and they’d switch off. We want to make sure that isn’t the case with this Hibs team.

“We want to be in a position where, regardless of whether we’re playing a team that plays tippy-tappy football on a beautiful pitch at Hampden or playing on a bog against a team that shells it up the park, we’ll be able to handle it. Having seen the pitch on Sunday [when Inverness lost 5-0 to Dundee United], it’ll not be a technical game up there tonight. It’ll probably be blood and snotters – we’ve got to handle it.”

Chump
13-03-2014, 08:12 PM
same chat, different day....boring!!

JimBHibees
13-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Good insight that.

SquashedFrogg
13-03-2014, 08:38 PM

:rolleyes:

Jack
13-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I long for the time I'm not agitated :-)

weonlywon6-2
13-03-2014, 08:42 PM
decent assesment from malpas.

edwards
13-03-2014, 08:42 PM
The records broken we need to change it. :wink:

SquashedFrogg
13-03-2014, 08:43 PM
No frills or fancy PR on how we want to play the game as Barcelona play it. Just how it is.

Good enough for me.

eastterrace
13-03-2014, 08:43 PM
i was wondering what he got out and laid on the table, but he does talk a good game.

Gatecrasher
13-03-2014, 08:55 PM
A bit like some chat on here I suppose.

RIP
13-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Mo - we don't pay you to make these observations.

We pay you to change it.

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 09:02 PM

We pay you to change it.

He's a coach not a sports psychologist - you either have strong mentality or you don't - of course you can develop resilience with experience.

They are working with some very weak minded individuals who crack under minimal pressure. Folk shouting at you from terraces may be off putting, it shouldn't make you go completely into your shell though - it should get you fired up and into the game.

He's merely pointing out, rightly, what we are all saying - and giving you hints as to what's going to happen in summer and what kind of player to look forward to watching.

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 09:08 PM

We pay you to change it.

What do you expect him to say?

Every word uttered by TB/MM/SM is dissected and analysed on here and invariably folk will moan at what they are reading.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't

cabbageandribs1875
13-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Fair assessment?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-need-to-be-mentally-stronger-malpas-1-3337336

The big thing with me and Terry is that we’re really strong mentally and sometimes we take it for granted that we’ve been here for a long time and that the players will have the same mental attitude as us, but obviously that isn’t the case,” said Malpas. “We’ve only been here four months so we’re still trying to get our ways across to them and getting them to buy into what we’re doing. Technically and physically they are good enough but it’s the mental side we need to work on.

i disagree

“The crowd can do whatever they want. We want them to be behind us, but it’s up to us to get them off their seats, not the other way about. The players need to understand that if they’re playing poorly, they’re not against them. They’re just moaning because they’re not enjoying what they’re seeing.

i agree, so it's not the fans fault after all :aok: still, it's a two-way street

Onion
13-03-2014, 09:10 PM
He's a coach not a sports psychologist - you either have strong mentality or you don't - of course you can develop resilience with experience.

They are working with some very weak minded individuals who crack under minimal pressure. Folk shouting at you from terraces may be off putting, it shouldn't make you go completely into your shell though - it should get you fired up and into the game.

He's merely pointing out, rightly, what we are all saying - and giving you hints as to what's going to happen in summer and what kind of player to look forward to watching.

:top marks We just got to hope he can walk the talk, get some strong minded players in who thrive under pressure and enjoy sticking it to the Hibs fans who moan. Griffiths was like that. 11 guys who have the same attitude as LG would do for me. Means none of the current mob will survive the summer though.

RIP
13-03-2014, 09:21 PM
One article doesn't make Malpas a bad man.

But when you've been reading the same analysis for the past 7 seasons you long for the day that we get a manager or coach who can motivate players and improve them in less than half a season.

Guess I'm just old fashioned. Can't remember the Tornadoes era talking about mental weakness.

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 09:22 PM

But when you've been reading the same analysis for the past 7 seasons you long for the day that we get a manager or coach who can motivate players and improve them in less than half a season.

Guess I'm just old fashioned. Can't remember the Tornadoes era talking about mental weakness.

Probably did but it wasn't plastered all over the internet for fans to criticise :wink:

Purple & Green
13-03-2014, 09:29 PM

I hate to say it, but I tend to agree.

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 09:30 PM

Gogs, did you ever meet Eddie and talk football ? (That wasn't a dig, just curious if you had or not).

He didn't suffer fools and even in his old age walking in Inverleith Park he'd scare you with his stories. The players wouldn't have dared taking him on - but he thrived on that and liked a player to have the bottle to stand up to him if he thought he had the cahoonas and whose bite matched the bark.

Stax
13-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Chuckling like Finbar Saunders at this thread title :greengrin

Purple & Green
13-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Every word uttered by TB/MM/SM is dissected and analysed on here and invariably folk will moan at what they are reading.

I think that's fair comment JC, but I think many - myself included - are now wearying of talk and want to see action on the pitch.

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 09:47 PM
I think that's fair comment JC, but I think many - myself included - are now wearying of talk and want to see action on the pitch.

Time and patience buddy, time and patience.

He's playing with the cards he was dealt and it was/is a pretty rubbish hand :wink:

SaulGoodman
13-03-2014, 09:51 PM

I'm wearying of the same sayings getting posted again and again whenever the management says anything.

Kato
13-03-2014, 09:58 PM
It's not the same chat at all, he's identified exactly what is wrong. Having a "strong mentality" is showing some character, whether that's reacting to going behind or staying in charge when going ahead. The reason Turnbull's team wasn't surrounded by such chat is because they had strong characters all over the pitch, anyone slacking was told so.

Jim44
14-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Slight change of emphasis, but looking at this thread about Malpas's comments (I like them) made me think of some of Butcher's recent pre match comments in the Scotsman which irritated me a bit ( yes I'm an over sensitive grumpy git ) Before the D. Utd. game all he seemed to talk about was the quality of the opposition. Before the Motherwell game all he talked about was his admiration for McFadden and other Motherwell worthies. The same slant was given to his comments before the game against ICT on Wednesday. Lo and behold, this morning there's more about his 'difficulty' in escaping the ghost of ICT. He 's talking about wearing his ICT hat for the cup final and refers back to Wednesday where he admits to daydreaming about what he was watching in front of him. - " I felt we were in a Twilight Zone watching our players on Wednesday night. I thought, 'What team am I meant to be watching here?'
They'd do a passing move and I'd think, 'Well played'. Then I'd think 'Oh sh** , we're meant to be stopping that.' It was the weirdest sensation - like an out-of-body experience."

I accept that reporters will select,edit and prioritise things he says to the media but, as I've said before, you can't help feeling he's distracted by by things outwith Hibs and effectively given up on this season as far as we are concerned. You're a media- man's dream Terry but stop slavering about other teams and focus on what you're priorities are now.

MB62
14-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Fair assessment?

“We’ve only been here four months so we’re still trying to get our ways across to them and getting them to buy into what we’re doing. Technically and physically they are good enough but it’s the mental side we need to work on.”

Probably agree with most of what he says except for the bit in bold.
I think physically we are one of the softest touches in the league, and that goes back a few years. I said after the first cup final debacle against the 'dodgers' that they were not only far better than us but far stronger too, their upper body strength was huge in comparison to our lot and they just shoved us off the ball. In my opinion, nothing has changed since that day and the 'nudge' that Hanlon got against Dundee Utd for their first goal recently just knocked him off the ball. I really wonder if our guys actually do any weight training or is it just pillow fights?

Anyway, apart from that, M.M. said it as it is.

Hibbyradge
14-03-2014, 08:24 AM
I think physically we are one of the softest touches in the league, and that goes back a few years. I said after the first cup final debacle against the 'dodgers' that they were not only far better than us but far stronger too, their upper body strength was huge in comparison to our lot and they just shoved us off the ball. In my opinion, nothing has changed since that day and the 'nudge' that Hanlon got against Dundee Utd for their first goal recently just knocked him off the ball. I really wonder if our guys actually do any weight training or is it just pillow fights?

Remember, the strongest person can be easily knocked over if they're off balance. I've seen Puyol floored by tiny forwards and he could never be accused of being a soft touch.

Contrary to what I've read on here recently, Paul is as strong as the majority of SPL defenders.

Hibs90
14-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Just me that took the thread title the wrong way then? :greengrin

MB62
14-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Remember, the strongest person can be easily knocked over if they're off balance. I've seen Puyol floored by tiny forwards and he could never be accused of being a soft touch.

Contrary to what I've read on here recently, Paul is as strong as the majority of SPL defenders.

opinions eh! :greengrin

GlenrothesHibee
14-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Somebody needs to tell Mo about the ****** bib and the naked chicken dance. If that doesn't improve things nothing will.

J-C
14-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Is he not just saying exactly the same as the Spurs manager, stop feeling sorry for yourselves, get your fingers out go and show everyone what You've got.

The Gorf
14-03-2014, 09:41 AM
:agree:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/2014-middle-east-prom-dresses-v-neck-beaded/171626586.html#s8-15-1%7C3606436951

:agree:

Baker9
14-03-2014, 09:41 AM

:top marks
For example, a stone of muscle would turn Hanlon into the player some think he already is. Butcher in a recent HTV interview says that ICT looked on Hibs as a soft touch - a team they could bully. Roll on the good times.

--------
14-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Turnbull didn't understand what he had inherited from Willie Mac. He had us top of the league on the 2nd of January 1973, and decided the team needed to train harder to be ready for everyone else coming after them. Result? He over-trained them and took the edge right off their play.

The "good old days" didn't exist. Turnbull thought the answer to what he perceived as "mental weakness" was to run the legs off them. The result was he ruined the best team in Scotland.

I prefer Butcher's and Malpas' approach.

And with seven seasons, five managers, and goodness knows' how many players all come, failed, and gone down the tubes, how long WOULD you expect it to take Terry and Mo to change things? From Collins till now each successive team boss has had a harder and harder job to do to turn it around.

Hibs have nurtured a negative, unfocussed loser-culture in the club for years now. I'm not holding my breath that anything's going to change radically yet, but if it doesn't, it won't be Butcher and Malpas I'll hold responsible.

Heedersnvolleys
14-03-2014, 10:06 AM
i was wondering what he got out and laid on the table, but he does talk a good game.

Yeah I thought it was another John Collins moment :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
14-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Turnbull didn't understand what he had inherited from Willie Mac. He had us top of the league on the 2nd of January 1973, and decided the team needed to train harder to be ready for everyone else coming after them. Result? He over-trained them and took the edge right off their play.

The "good old days" didn't exist. Turnbull thought the answer to what he perceived as "mental weakness" was to run the legs off them. The result was he ruined the best team in Scotland.

I prefer Butcher's and Malpas' approach.

And with seven seasons, five managers, and goodness knows' how many players all come, failed, and gone down the tubes, how long WOULD you expect it to take Terry and Mo to change things? From Collins till now each successive team boss has had a harder and harder job to do to turn it around.

Hibs have nurtured a negative, unfocussed loser-culture in the club for years now. I'm not holding my breath that anything's going to change radically yet, but if it doesn't, it won't be Butcher and Malpas I'll hold responsible.

Correct.

Thecat23
14-03-2014, 10:15 AM

What would you like him to say?

"Don't renew, don't turn up, we won't ever get any better, why waste your money watching us. We won't sign anyone worth watching this summer.

Some folk on here really do look for anything negative to write. Yes we know it's crap right now if you read it he's telling us they are trying to get it across to the players. Maybe the players will never get it and be punted in the summer. But with this "Heard it all before" ***** well no we haven't. Not from this management team. They are open and honest. If we can't get fans to believe in them then we're doomed as a club and may as well just give up now.

Heedersnvolleys
14-03-2014, 10:15 AM

He is not using it effectively enough then. He maybe looks as strong as any CB in the SPL but the Utd goal was not the first time he has been knocked off the ball this season. I would say for some reason it's like he is not expecting the physical contact and is caught out, where if anything he should be initiating it.

Hainan Hibs
14-03-2014, 10:30 AM
“The crowd can do whatever they want. We want them to be behind us, but it’s up to us to get them off their seats, not the other way about. The players need to understand that if they’re playing poorly, they’re not against them. They’re just moaning because they’re not enjoying what they’re seeing.""

Spot on Malpas.

Kato
14-03-2014, 11:06 AM

Never heard that before, Doddie. Where does that story come from?

Cropley10
14-03-2014, 12:20 PM

Motivate and improve players in less than half a season?

So take an unmotivated player or even a poorly coached professional footballer and turn them round, quite quickly into something quite different.

RIP
14-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Gogs, did you ever meet Eddie and talk football ? (That wasn't a dig, just curious if you had or not).

He didn't suffer fools and even in his old age walking in Inverleith Park he'd scare you with his stories. The players wouldn't have dared taking him on - but he thrived on that and liked a player to have the bottle to stand up to him if he thought he had the cahoonas and whose bite matched the bark.

At East Mains opening day. He was sat on his lonesome. Was not long out of hospital. Said Eddie you were my dad Hugh's favourite player. He said that's good son how's Hughie doing. I had to admit he had died in '97 at the age of 88.

Eddie said what's your name son. Gordon I said. Awright son, so it was Gordon Smith that was your dad's favourite player.

Naw said I. He was my mum's favourite. She said he was the good lookin' one!

Made the great man laugh.

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I'd like to see us sign more cultured ponces; players who appreciate gourmet food, vintage wines, fine clothes and highbrow literature, and who baulk at playing on muddy surfaces and will only deploy that defence splitting pass if the management ask nicely.

Kato
14-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see us sign more cultured ponces; players who appreciate gourmet food, vintage wines, fine clothes and highbrow literature, and who baulk at playing on muddy surfaces and will only deploy that defence splitting pass if the management ask nicely.

Why? What's wrong with the Scottish youth, Bob?

truehibernian
14-03-2014, 07:15 PM
At East Mains opening day. He was sat on his lonesome. Was not long out of hospital. Said Eddie you were my dad Hugh's favourite player. He said that's good son how's Hughie doing. I had to admit he had died in '97 at the age of 88.

Eddie said what's your name son. Gordon I said. Awright son, so it was Gordon Smith that was your dad's favourite player.

Naw said I. He was my mum's favourite. She said he was the good lookin' one!

Made the great man laugh.

Nice wee anecdote mate :aok: Eddie would indeed have liked that. Thanks for sharing that bud.

One thing about him (on a serious football note) was that he still had a sharp eye and was not afraid to give an opinion on a player or manager. I know he rated Derek highly, not his workrate, but his natural instinct and love of scoring goals - that is what he said about Derek when we last talked about John Hughes. Eddie was dismayed that Derek wasn't getting played up top - 'he's a goal scorer son, not a midfielder - he's a striker'.

Eddie was rarely wrong, and if he was, you wouldn't argue :greengrin don't put square pegs in round holes :aok: