PDA

View Full Version : Question 4-3-3: are we capable?

TheFamous1875
13-03-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm taking a look at our squad and thinking from an uneducated outsider's view (like most of us) about what can be done with he boys we have? What needs changed? What can we do with an unbalanced squad like ours?

Our best players are currently Sam Stanton, Paul Hanlon, Tom Taiwo and Duncan Watmore. A box-to-box midfielder, a composed and intelligent centre half who likes to play it out from the back, a 'terrier-esque' defensive midfielder, and a pacey, tricky winger who likes to go at full backs. These are our best players right now, hands down.

When looking at our squad, the immediate concern arises that we've got an abundance of un-dynamic midfielders. The 'cloggers', the 'crabs', so to speak. Say what you like about these guys, the Tom Taiwos, the Lewis Stevensons - but they're grafters. They hassle and nip at the opposing midfielders for 90mins+. You need that in your team. Maybe not in the abundance that Pat Fenlon believed, but you need that engine room, that dogged tenacity in the middle of the park that protects the centre backs.

In Watmore, Harris and Haynes we have 3 players with pace and the ability to take the ball past a full back. I've not yet seen Haynes as a winger, but I've been told he's more than adept on the flank. I think it would be worth investigating, as I'm sure his pace could be used well from the side of the park.

The thing about a 4-3-3 formation is you have to have full-backs able to get up and down on the wing as an attacking threat. McGivern likes to get forward, and from what I've seen from Forster he seems comfortable getting forward too. With help covering from Taiwo and Stevenson, it can give the full backs the freedom to get forward. I think we could safely trust that TT and LS would be able to do this with success. As a squad, everyone would have to work extremely hard, but that should go without saying.

The reason I've came to this conclusion is because I think you need your players to play in the position/set up that suits their style, and, I think this could be ideal for our current starting XI. I think this is worth a go, especially if we miss the top 6 which is looking increasingly likely. If it was me, I'd pick the following:

Williams.

Forster. Nelson. Hanlon. McGivern.

Taiwo. Stanton. Stevenson.

Haynes. Collins/Heff. Watmore.

Kato
13-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Recipe to get swamped in midfied.

ancient hibee
13-03-2014, 05:26 PM
As midfield is the worst part of the team-not protecting the defence-not creating any chances and scoring few goals I would have to say that playing only 3 of them would be a complete disaster.

AlbertK86
13-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Could use that formation going forward and drop to a 4 231 with Taiwo and Stevenson as the 2 when defending

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Probably not but if we did...

Williams

Forster
Nelson
Hanlon
McGivern

Stevenson
Thomsom
Stanton

Harris
Heffernan
Watmore

GreenArmy1875
13-03-2014, 09:56 PM
I would like us to try before the end of the season something a bit different. Clearly our strikers are not up to it

Williams

Black - Forster- Hanlon-Mcgivern

Thomson - Robertson

Harris Stanton Watmore

Handling

Go youth in attacking areas and players that can play football and show they can create. On their day i reckon this would work getting the ball down and playing football. All capable of beating a man and keeping the ball and creating chances. Harris stanton handling all played with each other at Youth level so know how each other well and also taught to play football.