PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell - a wee bit angry?

jodjam
13-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Ross Caldwell just tweeted a pic of his goal at the PBS with a comment "here's a throwback to when I gave a &@&@ "

Guess he's a bit frustrated at the mo

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Ross Caldwell just tweeted a pic of his goal at the PBS with a comment "here's a throwback to when I gave a &@&@ "

As I posted a few days ago, his off field immaturity is really really poor at present. He's actually making a decision on his future really easy which is a crying shame, he's a talent without doubt.

SMAXXA
13-03-2014, 04:53 PM
He's a dingle that will never make it IMO.

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 04:55 PM
He's a dingle that will never make it IMO.

The Venga Bus boys are going down like flies !

Billychaotic182
13-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Such a waste

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Won't be many on that next season

Centre Hawf
13-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Shame.

Mr White
13-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Another example of twitter giving young footballers the perfect platform to be their own worst enemies.

QMU-1875
13-03-2014, 05:03 PM
@rossycee1: @StevenLeeHMFC I wouldn't worry about I'm sure you have plenty pictures from a different score line

This reply to a jambo. Good bye Ross, your another clubs problem now.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 05:04 PM
I'd give him another year's contract

macca70
13-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Collins has been given more than long enough run in the team.

Caldwell should be given a 5/6 game run of starting for Butcher to assess him.

Seems to me that Butcher has made up his mind.

Caldwell is at the age where he needs to breakthrough into 1st team or move on and make a career at another club.

Seems a waste that he showed some promise eg scoring that goal at tincastle now he's frozen out.

His attitude isn't great but I can understand his frustration. Watching Collins week in week out not scoring and keeping his place in the team.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2014, 05:06 PM
I assume he's banging them in at his loan club? If not, then it's time to get rid.

Pete
13-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Cairney and Heff would disagree. :-)

Daft comments but people mature at different rates and he's still very young. Time is on his side and if he screws the nut he can be some player.

ancient hibee
13-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Isn 't he out on loan-in which case he should try scoring a few goals.

H18sry
13-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I assume he's banging them in at his loan club? If not, then it's time to get rid.

Did he not score for the wee team on Tuesday night against the lesser greens?

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Jason Cummings scored for the Hibs under 20's

ancient hibee
13-03-2014, 05:12 PM

No that was Jason Cummings

H18sry
13-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Jason Cummings scored for the Hibs under 20's

No that was Jason Cummings

Oooops player mix up cheers peeps,

Ozyhibby
13-03-2014, 05:19 PM

Caldwell is at the age where he needs to breakthrough into 1st team or move on and make a career at another club.

Seems a waste that he showed some promise eg scoring that goal at tincastle now he's frozen out.

His attitude isn't great but I can understand his frustration. Watching Collins week in week out not scoring and keeping his place in the team.

Any other failing first division forwards you think deserve a run in our first team?

steviehibsleith
13-03-2014, 05:29 PM

He has played only one game for Alloa in January and has been playing in thier reserves, If he cant break into the Alloa first team and have a run of 5/6 games then no way should Hibs be giving him a run in the first team.

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Any other failing first division forwards you think deserve a run in our first team?

Kenny Deuchar should be our no. 1 target.

The_Exile
13-03-2014, 05:31 PM
**** him, he's not a child, sounds like he's not right in the head with comments like that, send him on his way. I've no time for molly-coddling young laddies with an attitude problem these days, maybe a decade ago before the **** hit the fan but I'm not in the mood for this pash these days.

HFC_NYC
13-03-2014, 05:32 PM
An absolute shocker of a tweet. Maybe it's just that he's as thick as the proverbial?

macca70
13-03-2014, 05:36 PM

We'll just persist with a huddy that cannae score in a Brothel then.

So you don't think he deserves a chance in the 1st team to be judged rather than judging him in Alloa reserves?

Elephant Stone
13-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Looks like an "I'm too good for Alloa" tweet rather than an "I can't be bothered trying to win my Hibs place" tweet, which is probably not quite as bad. I'd like to see him given a chance as I think he showed more promise than Handling. Hopefully he can keep his head down and earn it, tweets like that won't help too much.

frazeHFC
13-03-2014, 05:42 PM
He gave me one of my favourite moments as a Hibee with that winner, but some of his comments on twitter just make himself seem like a bit of a twat.

macca70
13-03-2014, 05:43 PM
He has played only one game for Alloa in January and has been playing in thier reserves, If he cant break into the Alloa first team and have a run of 5/6 games then no way should Hibs be giving him a run in the first team.

Do you think Alloa reserves is an environment to judge 1 of our youth players?

Just don't see the point bringing someone through the youth then sending him to play Alloa reserves while we persist with a Cart Horse upfront.

Leishy1995
13-03-2014, 05:44 PM
He's not even that good. That's all that needs to be said. I grew up watching better than Ross Caldwell and I will watch far better in the future. Even at Alloa he can't get a game.

lucky
13-03-2014, 06:02 PM
He tweeted a copy of one of his bets from Cheltenham earlier this week. He had £485 on a money on shot that won. At the time I thought a young footballer should not be bragging about size of bets in twitter

Hainan Hibs
13-03-2014, 06:07 PM
I'd ban every Hibs player from Twitter. It depresses the hell out of me that we have fallen from the flair, romance, and intelligence of the days of Sauzee, Zitelli and co to the "oot tae nandos wae the lads:thumbsup:" style tweets.

WeAreHibs
13-03-2014, 06:08 PM
He tweeted a copy of one of his bets from Cheltenham earlier this week. He had £485 on a money on shot that won. At the time I thought a young footballer should not be bragging about size of bets in twitter

I saw it and promptly stopped following.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
13-03-2014, 06:11 PM
the problem with ross appears to be his attitude, his body language for starters when he got hooked @ ross county, he has been loaned out for a reason and he needs to screw the nut, if he keeps up like that then he will see himself plying his trade for good in lower leagues

cabbageandribs1875
13-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Cairney and Heff would disagree. :-)

Daft comments but people mature at different rates and he's still very young. Time is on his side and if he screws the nut he can be some player.

totally agree with this :agree: must be a lot of guys on here that were very mature when they were young laddies, and that's without being in the spotlight like footballers are, thank gawd that twitter thing wasn't on the go 30 years ago.

QMU-1875
13-03-2014, 06:14 PM
The game time he did have after that goal proved everything for me. Very poor.

Chump
13-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Such a waste

Based on what - take away that goal and what has he ever done for Hibs??

Watching him at U20's games and it is easy to see why he has ended up being offloaded....inflated ego is all I can say

kentao
13-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Seen him playing for hibs u19/20 against killie before the hearts goal and didnt really think he was good enough on that showing and not really been impressed with him since. But his goal against hearts was a peach.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Might be going against the grain here but him and Handling have never impressed me in a Hibs strip, I can't see either of them making it. I think it's safe to say we can file Ross Caldwell alongside Damon Gray.

All imo of course.

Jamesie
13-03-2014, 06:20 PM
I'd ban every Hibs player from Twitter. It depresses the hell out of me that we have fallen from the flair, romance, and intelligence of the days of Sauzee, Zitelli and co to the "oot tae nandos wae the lads:thumbsup:" style tweets.

That pretty much sums it up for me and it really saps my enthusiasm for watching football. Even leaving aside the Sauzee era we have no cult heroes ala Tortolano or Boco.

Weststandwanab
13-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Another example of twitter giving young footballers the perfect platform to be their own worst enemies. Footballers, in general, have their brains in their feet.

An absolute shocker of a tweet. Maybe it's just that he's as thick as the proverbial? Indeed.

He gave me one of my favourite moments as a Hibee with that winner, but some of his comments on twitter just make himself seem like a bit of a twat. That is a bit harsh on twats.

Might be going against the grain here but him and Handling have never impressed me in a Hibs strip, I can't see either of them making it. I think it's safe to say we can file Ross Caldwell alongside Damon Gray.

All imo of course. I agree.

Frogga
13-03-2014, 06:36 PM

All imo of course.

Totally agree! I think Handling has a chance of making it as he's decent in a wide range of areas (shooting, passing, etc) whereas Caldwell's first touch and general ball control are poor and could cost him a top-level football career.

Waxy
13-03-2014, 06:37 PM
I reckon younger players should be given a bit leeway.Far to young to have learnt to always do the right thing or what the right thing to do is.
Give him a break.

Mark79
13-03-2014, 06:44 PM

There is a big tall guy at dumbarton. Stands about a lot with hands on hips every 5 mins.

Jim_in_Canada
13-03-2014, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Weststandwanab;3930896]Footballers, in general, have their brains in their feet.

Except for, according to Eddie Turnbull, Alan Gordon !

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2014, 06:47 PM
What a silly boy.

sleeping giant
13-03-2014, 06:49 PM
What an erse ! That will do him no good at all. WTF was he thinking?

MrRobot
13-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I'd just empty him. Don't rate him and he appears to be a fanny.

Northernhibee
13-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Has previous for being an arse on twitter and got another chance.

Made an arse of himself when Butcher gave him a shot to impress - got another chance at Alloa. Now this.

Punt him, dinnae let the door hit your arse on the way out Ross. No room for troublemakers in our team.

Lang Toun Hibs
13-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Kenny Deuchar should be our no. 1 target.

Could we match or better his GP wages to prize him away from Doune Health Centre though? I anticipated a counter offer being made by Doune Castle in any case!

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-03-2014, 07:01 PM
I saw it and promptly stopped following.

What for?

Weststandwanab
13-03-2014, 07:06 PM
There is a big tall guy at dumbarton. Stands about a lot with hands on hips every 5 mins. Is that where Nish went ?

[QUOTE=Weststandwanab;3930896]Footballers, in general, have their brains in their feet.

Except for, according to Eddie Turnbull, Alan Gordon ! Really ? I did not know that any idea why he said so ?

What an erse ! That will do him no good at all. WTF was he thinking? Thinking ? Think about that.

I'd just empty him. Don't rate him and he appears to be a fanny. So tempted to respond to that but.....

Jones28
13-03-2014, 07:09 PM
That'll be the end of his Hibs career then.

ManBearPig
13-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I remember another youngster getting in trouble on twitter......

Coco Bryce
13-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Aye, but he was good though.

silverhibee
13-03-2014, 07:25 PM

That one was doing the business on the pitch though.

rcarter1
13-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I can't wait for summer :pray:

If the big clear out happens, we might have less of these bams, spams, yams?, and the general no one really cares, players pulling in different directions, can't compete with ordinary SPL sides rubbish.

:pray::pray:

Bishop Hibee
13-03-2014, 07:27 PM
All Caldwell has done is the winner v Hertz. Great memory but not enough to make it at Hibs. Let's hope Cummings looks at Caldwell's failures and keeps the heid and makes it as a first team regular.

Mr White
13-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Really ? I did not know that any idea why he said so ?

"The problem with you son is your brains are in your head"

Or words to that effect, probably with some expletives thrown in for good measure.

RickyS
13-03-2014, 07:34 PM

hope his parents or his agent take him aside and advise him, that he AINT made it, he AINT good enough to have an attitude problem and he can kiss goodbye to well paid career in the top flight, enjoy bonnyrigg rose ross!!

SunshineOnLeith
13-03-2014, 07:36 PM
It's about time there was a young striker who scored in the derby then went on to achieve absolutely nothing who was a Hibs player rather than the procession of Graeme Weirs, Gary Glens and Gordon Smiths who've done it for them!

Ronniekirk
13-03-2014, 07:38 PM
That'll be the end of his Hibs career then.
The writing has been on the wall for a while he knows that but if he wants picked up by another club he isn't doing himself any favours .

delbert
13-03-2014, 07:40 PM
The writing has been on the wall for a while he knows that but if he wants picked up by another club he isn't doing himself any favours .

Ross Caldwell - a wee bit angry and a big bit thick !

Calum68
13-03-2014, 08:12 PM
If he can't make it into the Alloa team then that speaks volumes. Nothing against the lad personally but we should be setting our sights higher IMO

greenlex
13-03-2014, 08:27 PM
He's not good enough. He has not kicked on from his chance. I remember a few of our youngsters going to the lower divisions and coming back to break through to the first team. He wont be added to the list. Sadly his seems all wrong too. His performance and subsequent substitution by Butcher earlier in the season and his reaction to it sealed his fate.

The Green Goblin
13-03-2014, 08:35 PM
There's lots of ways to get attention. One is by tweeting something petulant, another is to knuckle down and deliver performances and goals so good that it makes it almost impossible for the manager to overlook you. A bit of patience, humility and hard work required here. It doesn't look like it's going to work out for him if this kind of reaction continues.

lord bunberry
13-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I wonder if he can see his chance is slipping away and is just frustrated that he can't do anything about it or maybe he's just arrogant.

The Green Goblin
13-03-2014, 08:42 PM
I wonder if he can see his chance is slipping away and is just frustrated that he can't do anything about it or maybe he's just arrogant.

He could do something about it though. He could show the right attitude, stick in and prove he's worth a punt. Maybe your second idea is the right one...

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 08:58 PM
He could do something about it though. He could show the right attitude, stick in and prove he's worth a punt. Maybe your second idea is the right one...

Sadly I think Ross has signed his own football death warrant once this gets back - he'd already mucked up recently anyway. The lad may be frustrated but his reactions are simply idiotic regardless of age. Really didn't think he'd be like that.

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Sadly, Ross seems to be his own worst enemy

Hibs90
13-03-2014, 09:30 PM
From what I hear he doesn't like football and only sees it as a job. He may just be fishing but it's not funny in the slightest

Swedish hibee
13-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Why do they reply? Leigh is still the same.. surely clubs have a duty to give them lessons in social media?

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Why do they reply? Leigh is still the same.. surely clubs have a duty to give them lessons in social media?

They got social media inputs at the start of the season - all SPFL clubs did. From agencies such as the police, etc.

silverhibee
13-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Sadly, Ross seems to be his own worst enemy

I get the feeling he is hurting a we bit and has stupidly went on to twitter and showed his frustration that thing's aren't happening for him just now, from what i hear he is a decent lad and no billy big time attitude at training with Alloa, since the new manager came in it seems that the lad is struggling to get a game for them and yet he started well under Hartley in the first few games, i think the new man is more defence thinking and looks to grind out results with the man upfront on his own and he has to work very hard for the team, i don't think that suits the lad Caldwell and he has fell down the pecking order because of it.

Paisley Hibby
13-03-2014, 09:40 PM

I was at a match last season where I got to sit in the ex players box at ER. Those there didn't rate Caldwell. Apart from the PBS goal nothing he's done since has suggested they were wrong.

lord bunberry
13-03-2014, 09:41 PM

I think it's to late for him turn things around at hibs

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Handling and Cummings are better anyway.

Hibercelona
13-03-2014, 09:44 PM
His inability to shut his mouth and get on with it will be his downfall.

If you aint getting a game, you've only got yourself to blame, because you have all that time in training to show managers why you should be first pick week in week out. Running off at the mouth doesn't get you into the first team anywhere.

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 09:45 PM
I was at a match last season where I got to sit in the ex players box at ER. Those there didn't rate Caldwell. Apart from the PBS goal nothing he's done since has suggested they were wrong.

Billy Dodds didn't rate Leigh at Dundee - Alan Preston didn't think Robert Snodgrass had the right temperament to succeed in the game.

Life is full of opinions, it's up to Ross to prove people wrong - including himself at present by the sounds of it. He's a good player with a good future, if, and only if, he works harder and acts far more mature.

silverhibee
13-03-2014, 09:51 PM
I take it he still trains with Hibs through the week.

Stax
13-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Billy Dodds didn't rate Leigh at Dundee - Alan Preston didn't think Robert Snodgrass had the right temperament to succeed in the game.

Life is full of opinions, it's up to Ross to prove people wrong - including himself at present by the sounds of it. He's a good player with a good future, if, and only if, he works harder and acts far more mature.
Top post, hopefully the penny drops and he screws the nut. IMO he's a good player, but how many have we seen fail to live up to potential? Tony Watt frozen out in Belgium because his manager thinks his attitude is poor springs to mind.

Leishy1995
13-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Let's not forget not long after Lawrie Reilly passed away Ross tweeted someone

"What kind of name is Lawrie like you poof"

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Top post, hopefully the penny drops and he screws the nut. IMO he's a good player, but how many have we seen fail to live up to potential? Tony Watt frozen out in Belgium because his manager thinks his attitude is poor springs to mind.

I'll guarantee Lennon has contacted Watt this week to clarify quotes he's allegedly made against Menzo and Celtic too.

Manager is the top man at the club, players need to know their place and often bite their tongue. Sadly some Scottish young players have champions league attitudes on irn bru wages.

DTS
13-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Caldwell couldn't handle not starting for Alloa a couple of weeks back and phoned in sick as he refused to take a place on the bench at a club like them. That sums up his attitude I think on and off the park he believes he is something that just now he is not. Two goals at the back end of last season albeit one against hearts doesn't make you a fully fledged hibs player he will be away in summer

silverhibee
13-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Tony Watt was frozen out for more than a poor attitude.

Stax
13-03-2014, 10:40 PM
What for?

WeAreHibs
14-03-2014, 04:56 AM
What for?

Came across as a crass tit!

Pete
14-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Let's not forget not long after Lawrie Reilly passed away Ross tweeted someone

"What kind of name is Lawrie like you poof"

What do you mean "let's not forget"?

It was an unfortunate comment from a daft, forgetful boy and a pure coincidence.

Maybe you should forget.

GlenrothesHibee
14-03-2014, 06:25 AM

When did he move to Hearts???

McKenzie
14-03-2014, 06:55 AM
From his comments it doesn't seem like he likes football at all, but it earns him money so he sticks at it. He's still scored more goals than Cummings let's not forget so why should he be further up the pecking order than Caldwell?

The Gorf
14-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Agreed. It's too easy to access. One or two glasses of vino ( or whatever) too much and you may tweet something that in the morning you regret. You can't ban the players from using social media sites so these tweets will always happen. It's a sign of the times. Posted by an older Hibee who quite honestly is a techno phobe.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Came across as a crass tit!

Young lad posts details of a chunky bet at Cheltenham, hardly a scandal in the grand scheme of things. Imagine the uproar if it had been a football punt.

number 27
14-03-2014, 08:21 AM

Seems to have changed his attitude and knuckled down in Belgium now though, he is playing and scoring goals.

He cost me a few quid by scoring against Anderlecht:rolleyes:

The Sea-gull
14-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Caldwell can go for me. He maybe hasn't had a fair crack of the whip but in any walk of life you have to respect your manager's decisions. You may not agree with them and there are ways of articulating this but you have to respect them.

He might "come back to haunt us" but I doubt it. I class a player as coming back to haunt you if he goes to another club and plays consistently well in the SPL. Going to a lower SPL or lower league team being in and out of the team and scoring one of his four goals in the a season as a winner against Hibs is not a player coming back to haunt. That's my prediction on where he is headed.

If I had my way the departure lounge at easter road would be very busy this summer matched by a busy arrivals corridor.

truehibernian
14-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Seems to have changed his attitude and knuckled down in Belgium now though, he is playing and scoring goals.

You've obviously not read his comments on Menzo and the 'Tic this week then mate - far from knuckled down.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2014, 08:55 AM

He's been kicked down to the B team now.

hibeemikey21
14-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Caldwell can go for me. He maybe hasn't had a fair crack of the whip but in any walk of life you have to respect your manager's decisions. You may not agree with them and there are ways of articulating this but you have to respect them.

He might "come back to haunt us" but I doubt it. I class a player as coming back to haunt you if he goes to another club and plays consistently well in the SPL. Going to a lower SPL or lower league team being in and out of the team and scoring one of his four goals in the a season as a winner against Hibs is not a player coming back to haunt. That's my prediction on where he is headed.

If I had my way the departure lounge at easter road would be very busy this summer matched by a busy arrivals corridor.

You will have your way. Squad overhaul in the summer.

number 27
14-03-2014, 09:03 AM
He's been kicked down to the B team now.

Really? that's a shame, it would have been nice to see a young scottish guy breaking the stereotype for once.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Really? that's a shame, it would have been nice to see a young scottish guy breaking the stereotype for once.

Yup... perm any 2 from attitude/booze/drugs/fitness/diet and fit them into this story:-

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/tony-watt-demoted-to-lierse-b-team-1-3339785

The Sea-gull
14-03-2014, 10:28 AM
You will have your way. Squad overhaul in the summer.

I hope so hibeemikey21. I don't know the contractural situation of all the players but I'd only keep the following:-

Hanlon, Harris, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Handling, Forster, Stanton and Cummings.

We won't get rid of all the rest due to contracts etc so expect a few still to be around but I would try and move on as many as possible, partly down to their quality (or lack of it) and partly down to the fact that I think we need to completely break the group up as much as possible so that there are as few reminders of the gutless, paceless and uncreative squad they have been this season.

If we add a new keeper, two first choice full backs, a centre half, a commanding centre mid, a pacy winger and at least one striker - a proven goalscorer - to those players named above supplemented by one or two of the existing squad I haven't mentioned and promote some young players then we may be good to go. The new players need to be first XI ready, some of them ideally having a decent amount of SPL experience and posses the sort of character traits that will create good squad bonding, a belief in themselves as individuals and a team and a fighting, never say die attitude.

Baader
14-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Sounding like a big time Charlie.

silverhibee
14-03-2014, 10:45 AM
What for?

Don't you think it's a bit strange that Watt was sent abroad, Lennon had no option as sending him to a other Scottish/English club would still have seen him have access to things that he shouldn't be doing, celtc tried to help him but nothing was working so they took drastic action and sent him to Belgium for 12 months to get his head sorted.

Caldwell may think his goal at tynie should see him getting his chance with Hibs, Watt's goal against Barca thought he was a super star and it went to his head thinking he should be a 1st team starter as well, Watt was also making a fortune at that time with bonuses and appearances for celtc and it went to his head and he got in to the wrong company.

He was then deported to Belgium. :greengrin

.Sean.
14-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I know exactly what you're alluding to. I've heard he's a big time Charlie.

:wink:

Waxy
14-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Yup... perm any 2 from attitude/booze/drugs/fitness/diet and fit them into this story:-

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/tony-watt-demoted-to-lierse-b-team-1-3339785
Least he has a timeline. Whats Caldwells?
Sept joins Alloa on loan.
Oct doesnt score any goals
Nov demoted to Alloa reserves
Dec claims no one likes him
Jan hits the post in the Berwick res v Alloa res match
Feb misses training because he's got an elastoplast on his knee
March remenisces about when he played bigtime football.

Gatecrasher
14-03-2014, 11:45 AM
From his comments it doesn't seem like he likes football at all, but it earns him money so he sticks at it. He's still scored more goals than Cummings let's not forget so why should he be further up the pecking order than Caldwell?

Because Cummings is showing the commitment, promise and desire to be in the starting line up while Caldwell is spending half his time on twitter moaning about not being in it?

The_Exile
14-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Don't get the comparisons between Caldwell and Cummings, it's like chalk and cheese.

Steven Fletcher was, IMO, one of the least naturally gifted bunch out of the golden generation (that sounds ridiculous but remember we had Deek, Gaz, Brown, Thommo, Murray, Whittaker etc), he's playing for Sunderland now down to hard work, perseverance and a fantastic attitude to the game. That's why I'd have Cummings in front of Caldewell on every single one of my team sheets. In other words, if you're attitude is positive and you're hungry and ambitious, you'll learn more quickly, you'll play more regularly and you'll become a better football player.

In 10 years time, if we look back on both guys careers, I know which one I'd put money on as being most successful, and that's without Cummings having made any headway or major impact in the first team at all.

Cameron1875
14-03-2014, 12:02 PM
There is a real problem with West of Scotland young footballers especially the ones that come through the ranks at Celtic or did at Rangers (RIP).

Any time it looks like Scotland could have a player on their hands then they p**s it all away on the bevvy and/or believe their own hype.

Leishy1995
14-03-2014, 12:05 PM
What do you mean "let's not forget"?

It was an unfortunate comment from a daft, forgetful boy and a pure coincidence.

Maybe you should forget.

I'll forget once our club no longer pay him.

Brooster
14-03-2014, 12:14 PM
I think Caldwell sealed his fate when he came on a sub during the Scottish Cup tie at Ross County when he didnt try a leg and was promptly substituted.

silverhibee
14-03-2014, 12:34 PM
I know exactly what you're alluding to. I've heard he's a big time Charlie.

:wink:

Would have been funny if he had been sent to Charlerio in Belgium. :wink: :greengrin

jacomo
14-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Don't get the comparisons between Caldwell and Cummings, it's like chalk and cheese.

Steven Fletcher was, IMO, one of the least naturally gifted bunch out of the golden generation (that sounds ridiculous but remember we had Deek, Gaz, Brown, Thommo, Murray, Whittaker etc), he's playing for Sunderland now down to hard work, perseverance and a fantastic attitude to the game. That's why I'd have Cummings in front of Caldewell on every single one of my team sheets. In other words, if you're attitude is positive and you're hungry and ambitious, you'll learn more quickly, you'll play more regularly and you'll become a better football player.

In 10 years time, if we look back on both guys careers, I know which one I'd put money on as being most successful, and that's without Cummings having made any headway or major impact in the first team at all.

You're entitled to your opinion. I remember that the chat from the coaches was that Steven Fletcher was the stand out prospect, even at 17. But of course his attitude went a long, long way.

ancient hibee
14-03-2014, 05:09 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. I remember that the chat from the coaches was that Steven Fletcher was the stand out prospect, even at 17. But of course his attitude went a long, long way.

Fletcher was exactly the type of players coaches love-hard working,athletic,respectful etc.What they don't like is lazy devils who don't listen and stand around scoring 30 goals a season.

Baader
14-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Twitter and footballers don't mix... If Caldwell actually spend more time knuckling down and less time being bothered about tweeting nonsense or what others think about him he might get somewhere.

Would be suprised if he makes anything of his career. His attitude stinks.

14-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Just read down his twitter feed, comes aross as a bit of a spoilt brat. Obviously thinks he's a big time when really he's still got a hell of a lot to learn. Lot of respect lost for him TBH.

Obviously there is some talent there but this kind of thing is doing him no favours at all. The moment young footballers just entering the game start getting too big for there boots and get and over inflated ego thats when problems start.

14-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Twitter and footballers don't mix... If Caldwell actually spend more time knuckling down and less time being bothered about tweeting nonsense or what others think about him he might get somewhere.

I agree, twitter can just be a nightmare. Leaves footballers open to terrible abuse as we seen with Griffiths and footballers in the heat of the moment dont think and tweet things that later get them into bother. He's got a bad attitude, instead of getting his head down and working hard to win back a first team place hes spitting the dummy out and acting like a bratty child because things aren't quite going his way.

Sorry Ross, not good enough son, time to grow up.

The_Exile
14-03-2014, 06:48 PM

IIRC the reason he was so coveted by the coaching staff was his willingness to learn and the pace he would pick up new skills and of course, he was a cracking player also.

truehibernian
14-03-2014, 07:02 PM

He's actually a really decent young guy, which makes this all the more frustrating mate - his cousins and family come to ER to support him (and Hibs) albeit their allegiance lie elsewhere. Really really depresses me this social media thing - and easy and reckless way to vent without thinking - but once they hit 'send' it's out there and the vultures commence ripping the carcass.

He's a player who is like McCoist - can play utter crap for 70 minutes but then pop up with an excellent finish and 'right place right time' - sometimes teams need these players. I rate him, not his attitude this year - it's come from nowhere (the bad attitude).

truehibernian
14-03-2014, 07:05 PM
IIRC the reason he was so coveted by the coaching staff was his willingness to learn and the pace he would pick up new skills and of course, he was a cracking player also.

Fletch has had his off field problems too (not just the recent stuff in the press - or his hairline :greengrin).

hibbydog
14-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I used to like wee Caldwell. Promising young footballer and has they physique - reminds me of a young Garry O Connor.

In common with O Connor, sadly, is the Bertie big bollocks attitude.

On that note, caldwells a bit of a bell end and wee better without him.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2014, 08:17 PM
He's actually a really decent young guy, which makes this all the more frustrating mate - his cousins and family come to ER to support him (and Hibs) albeit their allegiance lie elsewhere. Really really depresses me this social media thing - and easy and reckless way to vent without thinking - but once they hit 'send' it's out there and the vultures commence ripping the carcass.

He's a player who is like McCoist - can play utter crap for 70 minutes but then pop up with an excellent finish and 'right place right time' - sometimes teams need these players. I rate him, not his attitude this year - it's come from nowhere (the bad attitude).

No he's not, he's someone who's played a handful of games for our first team. He did score a cracker against the gimps, but until he's played a few hundred games at that level, and been capped for his country 50 odd times, i'd personally leave the comparisons alone.

He may have been able to score at a low level, but when asked to make the step up he's been severely lacking except one obvious time.

He does seem to have a right attitude, we saw it against Ross County, and again with his twitter post.

He needs to stop thinking he's made it and buckle down and work hard, whether thats at Hibs or not. If not he will be playing junior football quicker than he can imagine.

14-03-2014, 08:48 PM
No he's not, he's someone who's played a handful of games for our first team. He did score a cracker against the gimps, but until he's played a few hundred games at that level, and been capped for his country 50 odd times, i'd personally leave the comparisons alone.

He may have been able to score at a low level, but when asked to make the step up he's been severely lacking except one obvious time.

He does seem to have a right attitude, we saw it against Ross County, and again with his twitter post.

He needs to stop thinking he's made it and buckle down and work hard, whether thats at Hibs or not. If not he will be playing junior football quicker than he can imagine.

This post 100%

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Yes, we've all seen what happens to guys who think they are a lot better than they are/have made it. Kurtis Byrne springs to mind. Sadly for young players now, social media casts a harsh glare and there's no real hiding place. If they don't tweet/post nonsense, there are plenty 'fans in the know' who will happily do it on their behalf.

14-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Yes, we've all seen what happens to guys who think they are a lot better than they are/have made it. Kurtis Byrne springs to mind. Sadly for young players now, social media casts a harsh glare and there's no real hiding place. If they don't tweet/post nonsense, there are plenty 'fans in the know' who will happily do it on their behalf.

What actually happened with Kurtis Byrne actually?

A successfull player in the under 20's squad a few years back but has seemed to go completely off the radar?

Peevemor
14-03-2014, 09:25 PM
What actually happened with Kurtis Byrne actually?

A successfull player in the under 20's squad a few years back but has seemed to go completely off the radar?

He used the word actually twice in the same sentence so somebody shot him.

Nah, he actually disappeared up his dad's hoop.

truehibernian
14-03-2014, 09:27 PM

I'd like to think I have decent knowledge of youth football DBS and don't 'post nonsense' when it comes to comparisons - my comparison with McCoist was not comparing a career, but comparing what I've seen of Ross since he was 16/17 and his ability to be in the right place at the right time, scoring goals, but not being the best player on the pitch - I wouldn't dream of saying Ross is 'Ally McCoist'.

Ross had a great attitude, however in very very recent months it has dipped alarmingly - compounded by a recent incident at Alloa which is quite frankly unprofessional in the extreme. Those that know of it will no doubt agree. But it is not the lad I know, and he is a very very good footballer - Kurtis had an attitude from day one, I posted it at the time and was consistent - he had an arrogance that he could have actually used to his advantage, yet he didn't. Damon Gray had workrate and ability, not the real belief and was quite a quiet lad.

Each youngster is different - I'm just incredibly sad that Ross tweets and acts the way he does of late, because he didn't do it previously. And where possible I'd encourage BlackpoolHibs to watch some old 19's clips, games and maybe watch Ross in action - then he would see what I mean.

snooky
14-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Would have been funny if he had been sent to Charlerio in Belgium. :wink: :greengrin

... and we could have sung "Charlerio, Charlerio, Charlerio" (a-la "Cheerio, cheerio, etc")

madabouthibs
14-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Scored a great goal at the PBS yes, which actually left me quite embarrassed. I had declared to my mates that he should have been subbed at half time coz he was bloody awful!! :agree:

jodjam
14-03-2014, 11:56 PM
I've no idea about the lads attitude but as things stand he won't make it. I reckon he seems to play the game on his heels. He looks a joy for even the slowest defenders to play against

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2014, 01:19 PM
I'd like to think I have decent knowledge of youth football DBS and don't 'post nonsense' when it comes to comparisons - my comparison with McCoist was not comparing a career, but comparing what I've seen of Ross since he was 16/17 and his ability to be in the right place at the right time, scoring goals, but not being the best player on the pitch - I wouldn't dream of saying Ross is 'Ally McCoist'.

Ross had a great attitude, however in very very recent months it has dipped alarmingly - compounded by a recent incident at Alloa which is quite frankly unprofessional in the extreme. Those that know of it will no doubt agree. But it is not the lad I know, and he is a very very good footballer - Kurtis had an attitude from day one, I posted it at the time and was consistent - he had an arrogance that he could have actually used to his advantage, yet he didn't. Damon Gray had workrate and ability, not the real belief and was quite a quiet lad.

Each youngster is different - I'm just incredibly sad that Ross tweets and acts the way he does of late, because he didn't do it previously. And where possible I'd encourage BlackpoolHibs to watch some old 19's clips, games and maybe watch Ross in action - then he would see what I mean.

I'm sorry. and i actually know what you meant when comparing him to McCoist. What i should have said is those comparisons mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I remember playing in a county cup final and in the programme someone was giving their views on the players on each team. I was said to have the touch of Kenny Dalglish and the strength of Mark Hughes, and to be fair in that standard i probably did.

Yet when we played teams in higher leagues, i had the touch of Garry O'Connor and the strength of Alan O'Brien. I couldn't make the step up to a better standard of football.

Ross Caldwell in my opinion looks to be exactly the same, men against boys comes to mind.

seven nowt
15-03-2014, 02:44 PM

I think he's a knob. Living on one goal.

MrRobot
15-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Is that where Nish went ?

[QUOTE=Jim_in_Canada;3930904] Really ? I did not know that any idea why he said so ?

Thinking ? Think about that.

So tempted to respond to that but.....

Respond in what way? Guy is an arse. From people who know him and from the way he portrays himself.

15-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I think he's a knob. Living on one goal.

If he is gonna think he's made it to the big time based on one goal (albeit an important goal) then like I said, he is gonna fail big time. He needs to grow up, sounding like a spoilt brat and if I was the manager I would be having serious words with him and telling him to buck up his ideas. Really quite sad when young talent is wasted simply because they get far too ahead of themselves and start thinking their Mr big shot. The likes of Harris, keep modest, their feet on the ground and understand that they need to get their heads down and keep learning and listening to others if they are gonna make a successful career. Caldwell would do well to follow that example.

Greencore
15-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Keep him here for Movember, his mustache is hilarious

Greencore
15-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Caldwell couldn't handle not starting for Alloa a couple of weeks back and phoned in sick as he refused to take a place on the bench at a club like them. That sums up his attitude I think on and off the park he believes he is something that just now he is not. Two goals at the back end of last season albeit one against hearts doesn't make you a fully fledged hibs player he will be away in summer
Proof or it didn't happen