:flag:

cmcd
13-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Now on the Hibernian Historical Trust Website

Player Profile for Jim Black

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/182-jim-black

Check it out and please leave your memories of Jim below

:flag:
As i have said on another thread Jim Black was always the fall guy when things went wrong His team mates had nothing but good things to say about his ability He was no world beater but gave his all in every game A bit like Paul Hanlon Not appreciated by lots of fans but appreciated by his team mates and his manager

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Never booked? :confused:

I have to admit to having slagged him off a few times. I was a bairn, though, and he appeared to be a carthorse amongst a team of thoroughbreds. Now, of course, I understand his worth to that team.

I also remember him galloping upfield at Elland Road, with the ball at his feet, and Barry Davies exclaiming... That's Jim Black, the centre half!!

Oh for a CH that could do that these days......

Jack
13-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Never booked? :confused:

I have to admit to having slagged him off a few times. I was a bairn, though, and he appeared to be a carthorse amongst a team of thoroughbreds. Now, of course, I understand his worth to that team.

I also remember him galloping upfield at Elland Road, with the ball at his feet, and Barry Davies exclaiming... That's Jim Black, the centre half!!

Oh for a CH that could do that these days......

My thoughts [almost] exactly. A dependable player who got the basics right most of the time and let others around him showboat a bit.

I can vaguely remember Barry Davies wasn't the only one exclaiming although maybe not in these words.

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2014, 04:02 PM
My thoughts [almost] exactly. A dependable player who got the basics right most of the time and let others around him showboat a bit.

I can vaguely remember Barry Davies wasn't the only one exclaiming although maybe not in these words.

Ned maybe? "***ake, Cilla, whitye***kindoin?"

Sanger
13-03-2014, 04:11 PM

He was my landlord in the late 70s and regularly threatened me and made up stories about the other tennants. A bit like his on field antics!

Jack
13-03-2014, 04:14 PM

No. I was thinking me and my mates ... but the same sentiments :-)

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-03-2014, 04:15 PM
As i have said on another thread Jim Black was always the fall guy when things went wrong His team mates had nothing but good things to say about his ability He was no world beater but gave his all in every game A bit like Paul Hanlon Not appreciated by lots of fans but appreciated by his team mates and his manager

Spot on, saved me typing that out...:wink:

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2014, 04:18 PM
He was my landlord in the late 70s and regularly threatened me and made up stories about the other tennants. A bit like his on field antics!

Think you have the wrong Black, no?

According to that article, our Cilla was never booked. Hardly a thug.

Are you thinking about Kenny?

Bostonhibby
13-03-2014, 04:42 PM

:agree: It was a team game and reflecting now on what I enjoyed seeing then that team needed a Jim Black because he was part of the whole team and would we have been as good without him? No - a very good defender who sat back and enable Brownlie and Schaedler to go on the forward runs they were renowned for. The legends in that team knew his value, Alan Gordon said he was the hardest defender to get past that he played against.

ancient hibee
13-03-2014, 06:17 PM
That must have been when he got in Gordon's road at corners A steady player who was tormented by Deans practically every time we played Celtic.If we had signed Geoge Stewart at the time I'm pretty sure we would have won the league.

Bostonhibby
13-03-2014, 06:27 PM
That must have been when he got in Gordon's road at corners A steady player who was tormented by Deans practically every time we played Celtic.If we had signed Geoge Stewart at the time I'm pretty sure we would have won the league.

I can see why you say that and also agree about what Stewart might have brought to the party. I liked him a lot.
Thread was about recognising the guy and if I recall correctly we won more cup finals than we lost against celtc in that magical spell. Deans was a bit of a pain in the erse though!

Kojock
13-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Although I was only young at the time I remember folk saying at the time that the only reason he looked ok was because John Blackley covered up all his mistakes.

Joe6-2
13-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Wonder if Jim fancies getting back into the excavator and making another trip to tincastle!!! :-)

Tom Hart RIP
14-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Met him recently and he looks great. Not an ounce of fat on him and just turned 70.
I remember his only goal against Keflavik of Iceland at Easter Road. Big Tony got the other one.

--------
14-03-2014, 10:53 AM

I think you must have the wrong guy here. He lives in the next village to me, and that isn't the guy I know.

Course, if he comes from Airdrie he MUST be a thug? As Tom Hart RIP says - looks as fit as he did when he was playing. A grossly under-rated player.