PDA

View Full Version : Butchers Post Match Comments

The Harp Awakes
13-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26555295

A very downbeat assessment of Hibs performance tonight from TB.

We didn't offer enough going forward. Defensively, we were strong, which was fine, but we've got to do better up the other end of the pitch.

Maybe playing your best forward might have helped Terry:hmmm:

Jones28
13-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Food for thought for Saturday then tel. Heffernan is surely in with a shout

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Maybe if you played Heffernan things would have been a lot different. SURELY he will start on Saturday? Surely. If he does I hope he bangs in a couple to cement his place in the team and sends a clear message to Butcher that he is our best striker and should be playing.

Northernhibee
13-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Ah, so Heffernan is the new KT then.

CentreLine
13-03-2014, 07:27 AM

Looks like it. It seems our manager could not possibly have good reasons for his team choices

Viva_Palmeiras
13-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Seems odd but I suppose the thing about being manager is you can see the big picture.

Has Heff been historically poor against ICT, is he out of the long term plans (must move on to get Terry's target in for the summer?) injury still not 100%, whole host of reasons.

easty
13-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Usually we wait until we've sold a player before banging on about how good he was, and how we should have kept them and played them more.

Heffernan is a decent player but he's hardly been on fire for us this season.

Tyler Durden
13-03-2014, 07:36 AM
The Heffernan love in is seriously boring already. Yes he deserved a chance after good cameo on Saturday but he started plenty games earlier in the season contributing very little. His last start at Pittodrie for example.

I'd rather give Cummings games.

oneone73
13-03-2014, 07:49 AM
The Heffernan love in is seriously boring already. Yes he deserved a chance after good cameo on Saturday but he started plenty games earlier in the season contributing very little. His last start at Pittodrie for example.

This.

Ronniekirk
13-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Usually we wait until we've sold a player before banging on about how good he was, and how we should have kept them and played them more.

No striker has been on form long enough to cement there place in team ,that has been one of our problems .But Heff looked sharp when he came on against Motherwell and took his goal well T B said so himself and indicated Heff was in his thoughts for next game .If he was carring a knock and he didn't want to risk him why not just say that .
Instead some of us who thought he should at least of got on for last 20 minutes possibly longer are left perplexed .He is 33 I think so isn't possibly in longer term plans but for a game we needed to win to achieve T B s stated aim of top six finish surely he had to be worth a punt when he himself admits we didn't offer enough going forward .To place his trust in watmore who isn't proven at this level and has been out injured and may not be with us next season just seemed a strange one to me

matty_f
13-03-2014, 07:50 AM

You make a fair point. Heffernan is being made out to be some goal machine however the stats will show that Liam Craig is a bigger goal threat than Heffernan at Hibs.

GlenrothesHibee
13-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Just a wild guess but maybe 3 games in 7 days is too much for Heffernan at the moment?

craigmounthibby
13-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Heffernan was brought on last night, with 40 seconds of injury time left to play.

Embarrassing to do that to any player.

bawheid
13-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Really?

Peevemor
13-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Heffernan was brought on last night, with 40 seconds of injury time left to play.

Nonsense.

Eaststand
13-03-2014, 08:03 AM

I dont know any of the Heffs contract details, but i do know that some Managers have been known to bring on late subs to ensure that the sub will benefit by collecting an appearance fee which they wouldnt have received if they'd stayed on the bench

GGTTH

matty_f
13-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Ffs.

hibsbollah
13-03-2014, 08:05 AM
I like Heffernan but he's hardly the messiah. An intelligent, good finisher but painfully slow and is not going to be as effective playing on the counter attack away from home. From that point of view I can understand Butchers thinking.

I expected a draw last night, and its hardly a pitchfork-sharpening result surely?

Hiber-nation
13-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I know he's been hot and cold this season but he scored on Saturday, a great finish, and when you take a look at the rivals for the 2 striking berths it all looks very strange to me.

Weststandwanab
13-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Did the players walk home last night ?

Craig_in_Prague
13-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Did the players walk home last night ?

They were allowed on the coach back; but no fish n chips.

Billychaotic182
13-03-2014, 09:45 AM

This

Onion
13-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Putting the detail to one side, that's two draws against top 6 sides and we were 30 secs away from beating Motherwell. Both games disappointing for different reasons but definitely small steps in right direction.

DanHFC1875
13-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Heffernan scored a good goal against Well and I think seeing as he was the only striker that found the net on that occasion, calls to start him were/are merited. Top 6 chances look all but gone. Still possible, so hopefully, as I do not like the idea of getting dragged into the scrap to avoid the play off spot.
I'm still right behind butcher, but he does have his work cut out for next season.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 09:51 AM
They were allowed on the coach back; but no fish n chips.

They had Pizza's delivered to their bus

Speedway
13-03-2014, 09:56 AM
When you support a side where any win comes as a surprise, things are grim.

Terry is either keeping his mouth shut about what is actually wrong and what his plans are to fix it or worse; he doesn't know.

I'm hoping for relegation via the playoffs which should mean that 4-5 home wins could be a realistic target for next season.

HibbyRod
13-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I like Heffernan but he's hardly the messiah. An intelligent, good finisher but painfully slow and is not going to be as effective playing on the counter attack away from home. From that point of view I can understand Butchers thinking.

I expected a draw last night, and its hardly a pitchfork-sharpening result surely?

:hilarious Thanks mate, that really made me laugh! :aok:

GreenLake
13-03-2014, 10:04 AM
They had Pizza's delivered to their bus

No wonder they run around sluggish on the park if they are alternating between fish n chips and pizza.

Bobby's Cinema
13-03-2014, 10:16 AM
The only assumption I can make is that Collins is a special player in training.

number 27
13-03-2014, 10:28 AM
I am not convinced that Heffernan is the answer but surely TB has learned that starting James Collins is never going to give us a goal threat?

Ozyhibby
13-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Putting the detail to one side, that's two draws against top 6 sides and we were 30 secs away from beating Motherwell. Both games disappointing for different reasons but definitely small steps in right direction.

It's two draws against sides with a fraction of our budget.

ehf
13-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Probably failed to salute when Malpas walked past him at the Training Centre...

GreenLake
13-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I am not convinced that Heffernan is the answer but surely TB has learned that starting James Collins is never going to give us a goal threat?

The position he was in when he scored a goal against the slime is where he needs more opportunities to pose a threat. I think Heff is more likely to score from further out.

Bobby's Cinema
13-03-2014, 10:40 AM
I've been trying to look at it that way aswell but equally It is 1 win in 10. The real change will be seen in the summer

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I'd rather give Cummings games.Heff has 4 goals in 11 stats and should have had a clear pen in that Aberdeen game only to be denied by Thomson.

number 27
13-03-2014, 10:51 AM
The position he was in when he scored a goal against the slime is where he needs more opportunities to pose a threat. I think Heff is more likely to score from further out.

Surely if we could keep creating chances less than 10 yards out in front of goal then it wouldn't matter who we played. The only argument for Collins now seems to be that if the rest of the team somehow turn into Brazil then at some point he might score the odd goal.

Liberal Hibby
13-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Surely if we could keep creating chances less than 10 yards out in front of goal then it wouldn't matter who we played. The only argument for Collins now seems to be that if the rest of the team somehow turn into Brazil then at some point he might score the odd goal.

Or perhaps that Collins has scored more goals than any other forward at the club? And that he is also a handful for defenders which allows others to get chances?

bigwheel
13-03-2014, 10:59 AM

I'd pick Collins before Haynes thats for sure

number 27
13-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Or perhaps that Collins has scored more goals than any other forward at the club? And that he is also a handful for defenders which allows others to get chances?

He has played more than any other forward and scored only 6 goals, only 1 against top 6 opponents.

As for being a handful for defenders, it certainly doesn't look that way. He is a defenders dream opponent in my opinion, match him for workrate and he has nothing else to trouble you.

bigwheel
13-03-2014, 11:08 AM
we are harsh critics us Hibs fans....Most seem to have consigned Collins to the "get rid" pile. He is a relatively young guy. Maybe we should give him his contract term and see how he does. Adam Rooney and McKay had poor first 18 months (almost emptied) and then haven't topped scoring since - most on here would love either of them at our club.

Confidence is king for players. We seem to turn on players very quick if they don't hit the ground running. I'm sure Collins will mature into a decent forward.

number 27
13-03-2014, 11:21 AM
we are harsh critics us Hibs fans....Most seem to have consigned Collins to the "get rid" pile. He is a relatively young guy. Maybe we should give him his contract term and see how he does. Adam Rooney and McKay had poor first 18 months (almost emptied) and then haven't topped scoring since - most on here would love either of them at our club.

Confidence is king for players. We seem to turn on players very quick if they don't hit the ground running. I'm sure Collins will mature into a decent forward.

I did not say we should "get rid", although I would be quite happy if we did. What I am saying is he is not currently good enough and if he has improvement in him then he has to show it before he gets back in the team.

The comparison with Mckay is becoming tiresome, just because one player took time to settle does not make an awful first season a recommendation. Most players who do very poorly in their first season go on to be very poor all over again in their second. Kuqi,Trakys,Gow etc all had poor first seasons, were we wrong to let them go?

RIP
13-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Terry - you are the manager. Leave the commentary to us supporters - we can see the failings

You are the man we pay to make it happen on the pitch

Not picking on TB but after 6 managers in 7 years I'm fed up listening to their post-match comments - it's like they are embarassingly bereft of ideas to do more with what they have. The standard get out is 'he has to build his own team' :brickwall

Pray4Marc
13-03-2014, 12:03 PM
This

Cummings has had plenty of game time and chances to break his duck, looks out of his depth ATM and could do with a loan move for more experience.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Cummings has had plenty of game time and chances to break his duck, looks out of his depth ATM and could do with a loan move for more experience.

Out of his depth, are you having a laugh

bigwheel
13-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I did not say we should "get rid", although I would be quite happy if we did. What I am saying is he is not currently good enough and if he has improvement in him then he has to show it before he gets back in the team.

The comparison with Mckay is becoming tiresome, just because one player took time to settle does not make an awful first season a recommendation. Most players who do very poorly in their first season go on to be very poor all over again in their second. Kuqi,Trakys,Gow etc all had poor first seasons, were we wrong to let them go?

Those others you quote had past their best form...Collins is a young guy still maturing ...

Who else would you play instead of Collins - as Heffernan isn't a straight replacement ..

My point is simply that maybe we should support a player through their first season - even when they are struggling to find form - especially when they work hard like Collins - give them a chance to find form

The Hibs way seems to be to hammer them

Waxy
13-03-2014, 12:31 PM
We should have a moaning amnesty. No moaning till next season. I realise this will make a handfull of us spontaniously combust but the effect might be good.

Big Frank
13-03-2014, 12:38 PM

now now Onion !

Positivity about the Cabbage ?

How very dare you!

SaulGoodman
13-03-2014, 12:52 PM

That's a bit rich considering your post about Haynes 10 minutes before the one I'm quoting.

Jones28
13-03-2014, 12:57 PM

One start and that's plenty of time? FFS, it's little wonder our youngsters seem to loose confidence so quickly.

bigwheel
13-03-2014, 01:05 PM
That's a bit rich considering your post about Haynes 10 minutes before the one I'm quoting.

Eh ? I simply said I'd start Collins before Haynes.

Alfred E Newman
13-03-2014, 01:16 PM
I've been trying to look at it that way aswell but equally It is 1 win in 10. The real change will be seen in the summer

:hmmm: once again we look forward to the summer window.
It's an annual event for us which usually results in us looking forward to the January window.

Bobby's Cinema
13-03-2014, 01:20 PM
:hmmm: once again we look forward to the summer window.
It's an annual event for us which usually results in us looking forward to the January window.
:agree: Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane

allezsauzee
13-03-2014, 01:25 PM
I just don't understand why Tel is persisting with Haynes. He is murder

The Sea-gull
13-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Butcher's comments to me sound like they have come from a man who does not rate his squad of players as footballers or as characters. He just cannot come out and say that as bluntly as I have put it.

This is not bad thing. A real proper mass clearout is required so that we are left with hardly any of the current bunch in contention for a first team slot next season

I see people clamouring for Heffernan to start, Collins, Haynes, Thomson. None of them are the answer. OK, they are not the answer long term but maybe Butcher should have been using some of them a bit more or differently to what he has. I hope he finds the answers in the summer as if he has a good few of his own signed players and things are still the same next year then he cannot make comments like he did last night. If things are the smae then maybe Butcher is not the answer. The board then is definitely not the answer and we'll be so far away from the answer that I think I'll have even forgotten what the question is!

oconnors_strip
13-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Terry - you are the manager. Leave the commentary to us supporters - we can see the failings

You are the man we pay to make it happen on the pitch

Not picking on TB but after 6 managers in 7 years I'm fed up listening to their post-match comments - it's like they are embarassingly bereft of ideas to do more with what they have. The standard get out is 'he has to build his own team' :brickwall

Will you be raising this point/feeling with butcher at a future LWT meeting?

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Ffs.

If he only got 40 seconds I'm tempted to agree. Embarrassing may have been the wrong word but definitely a pointless sub.

hibby13
13-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Really?

Yes!

hibby13
13-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I'd pick Collins before Haynes thats for sure

Really?

eggbamyasi
13-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Agree totally with this .
Its collins first season . Hes 22 ! Give him proper time to get sorted .. imo hes showing some good attributes and will hopefully kick on next season and start banging them in .if you look over all football how many strikers struggle a bit first season then really do well as they get used to league , style of play etc etc . One example that springs to mind ( not saying hes anything as good or like this player just situation wise ) is drogba for chelsea . I remember he was absolutely slated like really ripped apart his first season not good enough etc etc . Theres many many more also. Imo give the player a chance . New set up manegment wise , mid season . Lets try being just a wee bit more positive about some of our player . Just a little bit ..........

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The Sea-gull
13-03-2014, 03:36 PM

In theory we should not be looking at draws against these sides as good results but in practice and in context against where the clubs concerned are compared to Hibs now and in the last three or four seasons then the two points are not too bad.

jacomo
13-03-2014, 03:50 PM
We should have a moaning amnesty. No moaning till next season. I realise this will make a handfull of us spontaniously combust but the effect might be good.

Would prefer it if we went for all-out moan this season and started next season with a fresh slate.

Onion
13-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Didn't say it was acceptable, just that it was small steps having lost to both sides twice already this season.

bigwheel
13-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Butcher's comments to me sound like they have come from a man who does not rate his squad of players as footballers or as characters. He just cannot come out and say that as bluntly as I have put it.

This is not bad thing. A real proper mass clearout is required so that we are left with hardly any of the current bunch in contention for a first team slot next season

I see people clamouring for Heffernan to start, Collins, Haynes, Thomson. None of them are the answer. OK, they are not the answer long term but maybe Butcher should have been using some of them a bit more or differently to what he has. I hope he finds the answers in the summer as if he has a good few of his own signed players and things are still the same next year then he cannot make comments like he did last night. If things are the smae then maybe Butcher is not the answer. The board then is definitely not the answer and we'll be so far away from the answer that I think I'll have even forgotten what the question is!

I suspect you are right - and you're also right - he can't say it. So he is being very supportive in public, being loyal to this players - which is the right thing to do. I'm guessing we will see significant changes in the summer.

Pete
13-03-2014, 04:48 PM

I agree that the comments suggest he isn't entirely happy with what he has and isn't worried as a lot of players simply won't be here next season.

However, Butcher is one who says it how he sees it and similar comments might come next year after performances from "his" players. I think that's just his style.

I think your last paragraph is totally wrong. So what you're saying is that he has one window to get it right or he isn't the answer and as a result the board aren't the answer? Maybe a dose of tolerance is required as he might make mistakes in the window, players might not perform all the time and it might take time for a player to settle. Butcher has proved he can do the business but it might take a few seasons...and I for one have had enough of giving the bullet to proven managers because some experts on the terraces say he isn't good enough. I suspect our board feel the same.

It's slowly becoming a FACT that managers don't need time to form a decent side. Look a little closer and you will realise that in most cases they actually do.

jakeshibs
13-03-2014, 04:48 PM

This!

The Sea-gull
13-03-2014, 05:23 PM
I agree that the comments suggest he isn't entirely happy with what he has and isn't worried as a lot of players simply won't be here next season.

However, Butcher is one who says it how he sees it and similar comments might come next year after performances from "his" players. I think that's just his style.

I think your last paragraph is totally wrong. So what you're saying is that he has one window to get it right or he isn't the answer and as a result the board aren't the answer? Maybe a dose of tolerance is required as he might make mistakes in the window, players might not perform all the time and it might take time for a player to settle. Butcher has proved he can do the business but it might take a few seasons...and I for one have had enough of giving the bullet to proven managers because some experts on the terraces say he isn't good enough. I suspect our board feel the same.

It's slowly becoming a FACT that managers don't need time to form a decent side. Look a little closer and you will realise that in most cases they actually do.

As you point out nothing is cut and dried, black and white, set in stone but in general, if TB can't have us in the top 6 and ideally challenging the top then yes he goes well down in my estimations of him as a manager.

A season with no Rangers and no Hearts in the league with a summer to sign a few players and a January window to top up after two thirds of this season too. Is it really that big an ask? I don't think anyone is saying that managers don't need time but 18 months (which is what it will be by the end of next season) is enough time to turn Hibs from a top of the bottom 6 side to a bottom of the top 6 side minimum.

patch1875
13-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Thought when Collins and hef played together earlier in the season it looked more promising.

Thecat23
13-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Maybe just me but I don't think Heff has 90 mins in him. He also doesn't chase the ball down. Where Collins does. Saying that I'd still play him even for 60 mins on sat. Collins needs to start scoring as well because the pressure is on him going into next season. (If he's still here)

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Maybe just me but I don't think Heff has 90 mins in him. He also doesn't chase the ball down. Where Collins does. Saying that I'd still play him even for 60 mins on sat. Collins needs to start scoring as well because the pressure is on him going into next season. (If he's still here)
I agree I don't think he is a 90 min man. However last night we never looked like scoring, and he should have been introduced much earlier.

I think also it about time Jason Cummings got another chance

Thecat23
13-03-2014, 05:58 PM
I agree I don't think he is a 90 min man. However last night we never looked like scoring, and he should have been introduced much earlier.

I think also it about time Jason Cummings got another chance

Yep same here. He's scoring again in the u 20's so he'll have a bit confidence. Heff defo should have been brought on a lot quicker than he was.

SMAXXA
13-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Just a wild guess but maybe 3 games in 7 days is too much for Heffernan at the moment?

Sub against hearts, played against United then played against Aberdeen. Both starts were premature as he looked like he was weeks away from fitness.

really pinning my hopes on the summer as the new revaluation management team are failing to deliver for me. Aye it's great to come out and give an honest view of a performance but doing something about it is a different matter. TB still doesn't know his best team which he should at this point IMO, he's killing time till the summer, proving a few points in his mind in the process but leaving all the fans still feeling the same, disheartened.

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Sub against hearts, played against United then played against Aberdeen. Both starts were premature as he looked like he was weeks away from fitness.

really pinning my hopes on the summer as the new revaluation management team are failing to deliver for me. Aye it's great to come out and give an honest view of a performance but doing something about it is a different matter. TB still doesn't know his best team which he should at this point IMO, he's killing time till the summer, proving a few points in his mind in the process but leaving all the fans still feeling the same, disheartened.

A good team's midfield and attack picks itself, week in, week out. This is where the problem lies, in these areas.

Aberdeen have not had many injuries or suspensions, however even me, a Hibs fan, could name their midfield - same with Dundee United, same with 'Well.

Hibs have had more perms than Alan Rough in terms of selections, and I certainly don't blame Terry. It's Pat who brought in far far too many 'same' midfielders, not one offering a creativity we so fundamentally lacked. Who would you rather have - Collins or Lyle Taylor ? That one, blame Rod for lack of ambition. Width and pace - Terry came in and two of his three loans were what we wanted.

We have a manager who is experienced, well known, lives football, already buys into Hibs and our history, goes to games, has a great rapport with the press, and raises our profile. Only in the door and there are doubters.

I'm incredulous and sad when I read such negative posts about someone we know can turn it around, given time, given full backing.

The_Horde
13-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Our midfield don't offer enough in terms of movement, creativity and keeping possession. Until such a time as they can on a consistent basis, the forwards will struggle. No matter who they are.

Speedway
13-03-2014, 08:51 PM
A good team's midfield and attack picks itself, week in, week out. This is where the problem lies, in these areas.

Aberdeen have not had many injuries or suspensions, however even me, a Hibs fan, could name their midfield - same with Dundee United, same with 'Well.

Hibs have had more perms than Alan Rough in terms of selections, and I certainly don't blame Terry. It's Pat who brought in far far too many 'same' midfielders, not one offering a creativity we so fundamentally lacked. Who would you rather have - Collins or Lyle Taylor ? That one, blame Rod for lack of ambition. Width and pace - Terry came in and two of his three loans were what we wanted.

We have a manager who is experienced, well known, lives football, already buys into Hibs and our history, goes to games, has a great rapport with the press, and raises our profile. Only in the door and there are doubters.

I'm incredulous and sad when I read such negative posts about someone we know can turn it around, given time, given full backing.

I'll have to stop you there. Blame Fenlon for Taylor not coming to Hibs. He's the one who called Petrie off the chase.

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 08:59 PM
I'll have to stop you there. Blame Fenlon for Taylor not coming to Hibs. He's the one who called Petrie off the chase.

Sorry speedway I beg to differ - Hibs made three derisory offers, one after the other, which peed off Falkirk. Bids went up £25,000 at a time. We also could have got him for a fee plus player the window before - again, few wasn't at all decent. From someone very close to Lyle and I posted at the time if I recall. Pat only 'called off' after Sheffield and another club came into the mix and said straight away they'd meet Falkirk's valuation. In fact Pat only declared our interest after it was silly not to - I think Falkirk also played a blinder but he wanted to come to Hibs, I know that for sure.