PDA

View Full Version : Players you loved to hate but admired

weonlywon6-2
12-03-2014, 07:51 PM
moving on from the biggest cheat thread,what about any player you really hated/disliked but actually admired cause they were decent

RoyAitken,not the best player but a big player for celtic

Hibercelona
12-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Henrik Larsson

O'Rourke3
12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Roy Keane

Sent from my brain via Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
John Robertson, I had a very grudging respect for him as a player.

Saorsa
12-03-2014, 07:57 PM
I dislike anybody while they play for the stickies but Brian Laudrup was a fantastic player.

weonlywon6-2
12-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I dislike anybody while they play for the stickies but Brian Laudrup was a fantastic player.

never really minded him to be fair, crap at penalties though !!

weonlywon6-2
12-03-2014, 07:59 PM
miller and mcleish at aberdeen

Pretty Boy
12-03-2014, 07:59 PM
John Robertson. He loved getting it up us but who could blame him? I didn't like him but he didn't provoke anything like the revulsion a mercenary little runt like Skacel did.

Gazza. What a player and he was really nice to me when I asked him for an autograph when I was about 6 or 7. Even complimented me on my Hibs top.

matty_f
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Craig Bellamy. Put in one of the best performances I've seen at easter road.

Mr White
12-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Craig brewster. Every time he came back he seemed to score with the pars ict and aberdeen. Hard not to respect a man of 42 giving a master class on hold up play and poaching.

Aldo
12-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Craig brewster. Every time he came back he seemed to score with the pars ict and aberdeen. Hard not to respect a man of 42 giving a master class on hold up play and poaching.

There was a thread sometime last year bout players who didn't get the credit they deserved or something like that and I mentioned Brewster.

Thought he was excellent for us. Like you say brilliant hold up play and took up some very very good positions. Very intelligent footballer

Mon Dieu4
12-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Agreed, he's was far and away the best player I've seen in Scotland

Peevemor
12-03-2014, 08:14 PM
miller and mcleish at aberdeen

My first thoughts too.

SteveHFC
12-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Klos

The_Horde
12-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Craig Gordon

The_Exile
12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Neil Lennon, Jorg Albertz, Rod Wallace, Rino (sp?) Gattuso, Paolo Di Canio, Patrick Viera. Can you tell what type of football I love watching? :greengrin

.Sean.
12-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Paul Hartley.

Without a doubt a little Hearts *****, but night and day when you compare him to the likes of Skacel. Took the banter the right way and dished it back. Great player.

TowerHibs
12-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Agree 100%

The Green Goblin
12-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Paul Hartley.

Without a doubt a little Hearts *****, but night and day when you compare him to the likes of SKACELSKACEL. Took the banter the right way and dished it back. Great player.

I remember the "unbeatable" derby, the one where the East stand shook when boozy and o connor scored late and Hartley almost kept us at bay for much of the match single-handedly. Couldn't really stand him but I remember respecting him (just a wee bit mind! :greengrin) that day.

The Green Goblin
12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
To answer the op, I always thought Brian Laudrup was a great player. Always thought he seemed too decent a guy to play for 'them'.

Greencore
12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
John Hartson

AlbertK86
12-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Tom Forsyth

PPZPOL
12-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Agree 100%

I'll third that, mvmt was dynamite and if any youngster watching wanted to be a striker then that was the man to watch. The Hibs defence at times never knew where he was, they'd look away a split second and he was about 20 yards away. Intelligent.

le bill
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Agreed, he's was far and away the best player I've seen in Scotland

him and larrson on a par for me

heretoday
12-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Wee Tommy McLean of Rangers. He was a smart and tricky player who fashioned some late Rangers goals usually crossing to Stein , Johnstone or Parlane.

nonshinyfinish
12-03-2014, 09:04 PM

Paul Hartley.

Without a doubt a little Hearts *****, but night and day when you compare him to the likes of Skacel. Took the banter the right way and dished it back. Great player.

These are the two that immediately came to mind.

WWFTWTG
12-03-2014, 09:13 PM
moving on from the biggest cheat thread,what about any player you really hated/disliked but actually admired cause they were decent

RoyAitken,not the best player but a big player for celtic

admiration for aitken I'm a frayed knot - he was was a dirty bully with limited ability - no admiration.....sorry

Cameron1875
12-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Not sure how anyone could dislike Henrik Larsson tbh. Best player i've seen in Scotland.

Hate anyone who players for Hearts but Niemi was an outstanding goalie. We would have won THAT derby 10-2 if it wasn't for him!

jacomo
12-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Good shouts on here - and the makings of a very good (if chippy) team.

In the interests of balancing with more defensive players, I'll throw the following into the mix:

Steven Pressley - did his job every week
Paul Lambert - hard to like, but niggly, useful midfielder who seemed to love the dirty work
Gary Neville - very unlikeable player but, again, put in the graft every single time

silverhibee
12-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Neil Lennon

Pedantic_Hibee
13-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Jamie Hamill. I admire his brass neck masquerading as a footballer.

heretoday
13-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Aitken was a horror right enough but the sort you'd want on your team. Like Keown of Arsenal.

#FromTheCapital
13-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Craig Gordon. Although most of that respect was lost after the Dean Shiels incident at tynecastle.

sambajustice
13-03-2014, 01:12 PM
I always thought Lorenzo Amoruso was a player. But he played for the huns so instantly discounts him from acquiring any likeability!!

13-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Paul Hartley.

Have to agree with you tbh. Couldn't stand him but like you say, he took the banter in a good way and wasn't as classless and pathetic as Skacel is.

As for Roy Keane, who someone mentioned above, can't stand him, good player but a thug who liked to throw his weight about and play Mr hard man. I know it was his toughness that made him a solid player but just thought he came across as classless a lot of the time. Especially when he wrote in his autobiography that he deliberatly went out to snap someone. No proffesional footballer should ever wish to end the career of a fellow proffesional.

BH Hibs
13-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Couldn't stand Darren Jackson then he signed for us. :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
13-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Couldn't stand Darren Jackson then he signed for us. :greengrin

Went full circle and we got to hate him again when he played for the jamboids:greengrin

stu in nottingham
13-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Graham Souness and Billy Bremner.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2014, 06:18 PM
John Robertson has to be up there. Hated him because he always did the business against us.

Souness - an animal but a great player

Gerrard - Uber Scouse, loves a dive, but a brilliant midfielder.

3pm
13-03-2014, 06:21 PM

He took the absolute pish out of Caldwell that day.

snooky
13-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Alex "Doddie" MacDonald :tin hat:

weonlywon6-2
13-03-2014, 08:56 PM
andy goram,loved him at hibs,became a twat at rangers but was brilliant.

should have been sponsored by colgate though

Bishop Hibee
13-03-2014, 09:10 PM
John Robertson and Neil Lennon spring to mind. Lennon strolled through the Scottish Cup Final against us.

Willie Miller was another. Always trying to bully the ref and gotdogs abuse from Hibs fans but a fantastic centre half.

Leithenhibby
13-03-2014, 09:18 PM
For me, it's got to be, Peter Grant... Hated him with a passion :agree:

The type of player we could do with now.....

truehibernian
13-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Bryan Robson - went through my youth thinking he was an over rated little Englander, however it was me that was the ignorant mug when I learned to appreciate midfield prowess and leadership. A wonderful footballer, always reliable on the big occasion, heart of a lion, passionate and what a player for the likes of Giggs, Beckham and Co to aspire to. Might have liked the high life but shows you what a player he was that he could even fit that in.

Plus he could be a right dirty **** in the tackle when he wanted to.

nonshinyfinish
13-03-2014, 11:31 PM
I always thought Lorenzo Amoruso was a player. But he played for the huns so instantly discounts him from acquiring any likeability!!

Say what?

He was gash.

edinburghhibee
14-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Have to agree with you tbh. Couldn't stand him but like you say, he took the banter in a good way and wasn't as classless and pathetic as Skacel is. As for Roy Keane, who someone mentioned above, can't stand him, good player but a thug who liked to throw his weight about and play Mr hard man. I know it was his toughness that made him a solid player but just thought he came across as classless a lot of the time. Especially when he wrote in his autobiography that he deliberatly went out to snap someone. No proffesional footballer should ever wish to end the career of a fellow proffesional.

See I'm not so sure about that, had I been playing and done serious knee ligament damage during a game and someone stand over the top of me and shout and laugh. I'd use that as my ammo to get back fit and prob not very nice but I'd be gunning for that player the next time I played him.

But the fact that the man city player was the first to do that to keane gets overlook because people want to make it look like he's the worst human on the planet.

I'm sure that will upset folk on here but that's my view on that matter and thought it worth pointing out.