PDA

View Full Version : Let's Work Together Survey - TV Scheduling / Match KO Times

down-the-slope
12-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Supporters Direct http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/what-we-do/scotland have taken up some of the issues that were highlighted in our large LWT survey completed last year by many of you.
As we said in the results we issued from our survey - our intention was to take the issue of Match re-scheduling for TV / KO times to SD to try and get a wide campaign across all SPFL clubs that could put pressure of Clubs / TV when contracts come up for negotiation. The very short survey below is the start of that wider campaign - please complete and feel free to passs the link by any means to other supporters :aok:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YBZM3SS (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YBZM3SS)

Mikey
12-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Good work chaps.

Let's get as many of these filled in as possible and get the message across.

down-the-slope
12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Good work chaps.

Let's get as many of these filled in as possible and get the message across.

:aok: the wheels are turning at last - but you are right critical mass of responses is required to ensure it can't be ignored - Twitter / Facebook / other fan sites - please stick it up if you are able.

Pete
12-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Done.

Friday evening..it's the way forward!

Down with lunchtime. :-D

O'Rourke3
12-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Done and I'll share on FB later.

Mikey
12-03-2014, 05:08 PM
:aok: the wheels are turning at last - but you are right critical mass of responses is required to ensure it can't be ignored - Twitter / Facebook / other fan sites - please stick it up if you are able.

hibs.net has Tweeted it.

Saorsa
12-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Done. :aok:

Pity you cannae rank other days as joint preferences though. Efter 1 & 2 the rest make nae odds tae me, they're all crap as far as I'm concerned.

1. Saturday 3pm
2. Saturday (other)
7. Everything else

joe breezy
12-03-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm glad it allowed flexibility in the 'how early you think match dates / times should be altered' question.

Other than that couldn't answer it fully but I support the sentiment. I live in London so the more televised games the better for me.

However, I have missed a game recently due to a late date change and again my pals have traveled from Wales only to be disappointed due to a date change for a match.

down-the-slope
12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
good stuff from those who have completed / shared else where :aok:

lucky
12-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Saturday 3pm then Friday nights for me

PatHead
13-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Done, any idea how many have been completed

Eric
13-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Done, any idea how many have been completed

Was over 700 before DTS started this thread. Expect to have an update tomorrow from Supporters Direct Scotland on number of responses. :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Done

marinello59
13-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Done.

down-the-slope
13-03-2014, 07:44 PM
this survey is now up on other club fan sites - momentum building

:aok: to those who have already completed

bobbyhibs1983
13-03-2014, 09:26 PM
done

any idea if the tv,clubs,whoever will listen? not a dig or anything a geuniue question

DavieRoy
13-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Can I throw it back, what benefits do fans think we get from TV?

It seems TV gets battered all the time. Everything is TV's fault. Look at some of our Saturday 3pm crowds, they haven't been that good.

Give me a good team and fans would go whenever the kick off.

I used to love when Hibernian were on live throughout the UK, my club shown across the UK.

Problem is that 58 Scottish Premiership games are shown live each season over three broadcasters (25 Sky, 30 BT and 3 BBC Alba), no Rangers in the Premiership but still 58 games means games that previously wouldn't be shown, will be. Also no consistent kick off times.

I used to enjoy Saturday at 5.35pm in 2001/02 or 6.05pm between 1999-2001. We played a Semi-Final at Hampden at 6.05pm v Aberdeen in 2000.

The nonsense argument is, if we had every game at 3pm on a Saturday, we would get bigger crowds and make up the shortfall. Rubbish. Clubs get a guaranteed income from TV and smaller clubs have to take it as their crowds would not stem any shortfall.

Give me Saturday night, Friday night or Sunday 2pm.

Eric
14-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Was over 700 before DTS started this thread. Expect to have an update tomorrow from Supporters Direct Scotland on number of responses. :thumbsup:

The number of responses now stands at 928 with a significant proportion of those being from Hibs and Aberdeen fans. The involvement of fans of all the other SPFL clubs is essential to the success of the Survey so please also encourage your mates who do not support Hibs to respond.

down-the-slope
14-03-2014, 01:42 PM

It seems TV gets battered all the time. Everything is TV's fault. Look at some of our Saturday 3pm crowds, they haven't been that good.

I used to love when Hibernian were on live throughout the UK, my club shown across the UK.

Problem is that 58 Scottish Premiership games are shown live each season over three broadcasters (25 Sky, 30 BT and 3 BBC Alba), no Rangers in the Premiership but still 58 games means games that previously wouldn't be shown, will be. Also no consistent kick off times.

I used to enjoy Saturday at 5.35pm in 2001/02 or 6.05pm between 1999-2001. We played a Semi-Final at Hampden at 6.05pm v Aberdeen in 2000.

The nonsense argument is, if we had every game at 3pm on a Saturday, we would get bigger crowds and make up the shortfall. Rubbish. Clubs get a guaranteed income from TV and smaller clubs have to take it as their crowds would not stem any shortfall.

To an extent I agree with some of what you say - my biggest bugbear is the short notice rearrangement of fixtures where supporters make arrangements / incur costs and then are left with nothing in return..the result is people stop making arrangements to go. I also hate Sunday football. Like you I actually loved the early sat evening games either to watch with a pint after being at a game...or in being at one at that time as it was much less of an inconvenience / massive change of arrangements

OsloHibs
14-03-2014, 02:29 PM
I hate Sunday lunch time kick off.

green&left
14-03-2014, 02:37 PM

No-ones denying there are some very slight advantages to televised games such as exposure of our game and money. Likewise no-one seems to be under any allusion that Sky & BT are just going to vanish, there is obviously a profit for them hence there continued interest in the Scottish football.

The thing that annoys most is the random, often horrific kick-off times and the notice we are given. Someone will have the correct stats but I think this is the second season running we have played on all 7 days, at a range of kick-off times? Thats alot of f****ng about for the fans who put in FAR much more money into our clubs than TV companies (Same can't be said down south were often the TV companies contribute more to some clubs than the fans).

Hopefully what the survey will achieve is some sort of structured, realistic kick-off times that the fans prefer (Who as mentioned above are the lifeblood of our game - take the TV cameras away and we'll survive with one or two hiccups, take the punters away and the clubs are donald ducked) and get us notice. I won't be the only one who has booked rail tickets and hotels that are more often than not non-refundable for a game that's kick-off has been changed a few weeks before. The times you mention above would be ideal, you still get the social aspect of Saturday games, few pints etc. However Sunday 12.30pm and Monday nights are horrific. The Aberdeen game coming up in a couple of weeks is a prime example. Could've been a good day, had the chance of a bumper crowd (due to their travelling support granted), good game and what have you. Now as a season ticket holder I'll be lucky to make it, as a field engineer I could be put anywhere in the UK or Ireland with no notice, likewise on the Tuesday I could be up at 5am for a job. All the fun taking completely out of it.

Joe6-2
14-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Done. :aok:

Pity you cannae rank other days as joint preferences though. Efter 1 & 2 the rest make nae odds tae me, they're all crap as far as I'm concerned.

1. Saturday 3pm
2. Saturday (other)
7. Everything else
This

down-the-slope
14-03-2014, 08:40 PM
keep them coming :aok:

craigmounthibby
14-03-2014, 10:58 PM
No-ones denying there are some very slight advantages to televised games such as exposure of our game and money. Likewise no-one seems to be under any allusion that Sky & BT are just going to vanish, there is obviously a profit for them hence there continued interest in the Scottish football.

The thing that annoys most is the random, often horrific kick-off times and the notice we are given. Someone will have the correct stats but I think this is the second season running we have played on all 7 days, at a range of kick-off times? Thats alot of f****ng about for the fans who put in FAR much more money into our clubs than TV companies (Same can't be said down south were often the TV companies contribute more to some clubs than the fans).

Hopefully what the survey will achieve is some sort of structured, realistic kick-off times that the fans prefer (Who as mentioned above are the lifeblood of our game - take the TV cameras away and we'll survive with one or two hiccups, take the punters away and the clubs are donald ducked) and get us notice. I won't be the only one who has booked rail tickets and hotels that are more often than not non-refundable for a game that's kick-off has been changed a few weeks before. The times you mention above would be ideal, you still get the social aspect of Saturday games, few pints etc. However Sunday 12.30pm and Monday nights are horrific. The Aberdeen game coming up in a couple of weeks is a prime example. Could've been a good day, had the chance of a bumper crowd (due to their travelling support granted), good game and what have you. Now as a season ticket holder I'll be lucky to make it, as a field engineer I could be put anywhere in the UK or Ireland with no notice, likewise on the Tuesday I could be up at 5am for a job. All the fun taking completely out of it.
Completely agree. Insist fixture changes are made a minimum of 3 months in advance, which minimises impact on costs incurred through booking travel etc. No consideration given to the people that actually go to games at the moment, with Friday, Sunday lunchtime and Monday games all arranged at 3/4 weeks notice.

Eyrie
15-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Said it before and it's worth repeating - the clubs should have insisted on set kick off times, a decent notice period and a set fee for being the home team befoe signing any contracts with the TV companies. We may need their money, but they need our games.

PISTOL1875
15-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Friday night games are brilliant but they have to be TV free.. Them being on the box is just encouraging guys who go to the after there work on a friday to stay there and not go to the game.

DavieRoy
15-03-2014, 07:29 PM

I think it is a really interesting debate.

The league probably sell to many games for broadcast. Two channels are battling against each other with coverage of other leagues, so kick off times will always be different.

Looking at both sides of the argument. How many times have we as Hibernian fans complained when TV companies would always show Rangers and Celtic away and we would feel our games should be on, now they are and we don't like that.

If you are a TV scheduler, it must be difficult to pick some Scottish Premiership games when, certainly at the start of the season, the league is so unpredictable, nobody knows who will have a good season. You can pick a game two months or a month in advance and all of a sudden it is not the game you thought it would be.

When Rangers were in the League basically you have around 38 games involving the Old Firm and 22 non Old Firm but now you get about 22 Celtic games and the rest non Celtic.

Sky visited every Premiership ground by Boxing Day to show live games this season, as the other argument is they don't care about some teams and only show certain teams.

The clubs (not the fans, who are caught in the middle) only have themselves to blame. They knocked back the Sky bid in 2002, effectively ending the SPL project there and then.

Between 1998-2002, the SPL had, a set kick off time, a reasonable amount of live games, more flexibility in what games they could pick. BBC and STV had good highlights packages and preview shows while Sky had live games and Inside Scottish Football magazine programme. Plenty of outlets for the SPL to promote their product.

The clubs knocked back the deal, Sky used the money to buy Spanish football, no turning back. I always look to blame the idiots running the clubs and league rather than bite the hands that feed i.e the fans and TV companies.

Eric
17-03-2014, 02:54 PM
The Survey has now received 1147 responses.

Supporters Direct Scotland had intended to close the Survey this weekend but with the continuing flow of responses are keeping it open until Friday 28th March. So if you haven't responded here's the link and it only takes 2 mins max. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YBZM3SS :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
17-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Some of them havent you are right however if we were playing a derby or a home game v Dundee United or Aberdeen then we would get markedly increased crowds at 3pm. These last two have been moved to a Friday and Monday night at short notice which is a joke.

down-the-slope
25-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Roll up - roll up

SD have indicated Survey is scheduled to end on Friday so get those responses in :aok:

Eric
31-03-2014, 10:47 AM
The Survey, which is now closed, received a total of 1353 responses.

A focus group being set up by Supporters Direct Scotland (SDS) will involve Hibs LWT together with fans from as many as possible of the other SPFL teams. Would hope to have more news following the SDS Conference which is scheduled for mid-June. :thumbsup: