PDA

View Full Version : NHC Who is the worst football cheat you have seen?

theonlywayisup
11-03-2014, 09:30 PM
..........NHC obviously!

Watching Robben diving made me wonder "who do you think is the worst football cheat you have seen"?

There will be many! Lafferty for his numerous dives, the non-head butt being the worst. What about Maradona for the 'hand of God' goal? There must be ones from the Leeds United team from the 70's that few liked.

Go on, name football's worst cheat.

Try and avoid saying "anyone who plays for Hertz". Or naming someone like Rudi, just because he is a vile creature. They need to be a football cheat.

Onceinawhile
11-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Craig thompson.

O'Rourke3
11-03-2014, 09:32 PM
John Macdonald

Hibercelona
Allan McGregor. Never have I seen a player try so pitifully to get a player sent off.

theonlywayisup
Craig thompson.

Funny, forgot about him. I did mean players, not refs. Good call though.

theonlywayisup
11-03-2014, 09:35 PM
John Macdonald

That is the player I thought about. If you looked at him, he would fall over. A bit like Robben, for that pen!

Oscar T Grouch
11-03-2014, 09:36 PM
While a great footballer that German fella that played for Tottenham was a bit of a cheat, Juergen whatshianame klingfilm or summat. Loved a wee dive to himself. Worst I've seen is probably Ian black, wee kickie divie ned, with nae skill and a shan attitude too.

TRC
11-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Rivaldo world cup 2002 v china, Kyle lafferty v Aberdeen. Drogba v someone in the champions league. That's some of them

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Robben is right up there. He and Drogba in the same team was an appalling sight for cheating.

Busquets at Barca and Pepe at Real Madrid are ****.

matty_f
11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Craig thompson.

Correct answer.

johncrobertson@
11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Thierry Henry

wazoo1875
11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Peter Pawlett is up there. Wee scrotum that he is, I hope someone snaps him in half one day.
Stephane Paillé springs to mind

Edit, just noticed it was football cheat and not a footballer. Defo that bam Thomson

Jonnyboy
11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
John McDonald

John Colquhoun

Piqué
11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Pepe

Kato
11-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Alex Diddy McDonald

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2014, 09:45 PM
The Rangers 2012 and Heart of Liquidation FC. Institutional cheating.

nonshinyfinish
11-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Thierry Henry

Que?

lapsedhibee
11-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Allan McGregor. Never have I seen a player try so pitifully to get a player sent off.
Later on in the thread when it comes time to pick a Cheaters' XI, it's going to be hard to choose between him and the spotty lesbian.
Robben, Drogba and Ashley Young in attack, Cole J, Gerard and Bale in midfield. What about a back four though? Caveman's the only defender I can think of that liked a dive, and he's retired. Possibly Zaliukas for the shirt-pulling, but that's relatively lame.

wick hibby
BLACK:agree::agree:

Agreed, he even got straight back up coz even HE felt embarresed after doing it!

Mikolounas - diving, cheating wee hearts *****!
Drogba
Craig Thompson
Suarez
Hamill - his time wasting in the new years derby before we scored was unbelievable!

Viva_Palmeiras
11-03-2014, 09:58 PM
McGeady.

Berry.

lapsedhibee
11-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Que?

Handball incident for Franceland. Shirley harsh to include a player for a single incident when there's so many serial offenders to choose from.

nonshinyfinish
11-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Handball incident for Franceland. Shirley harsh to include a player for a single incident when there's so many serial offenders to choose from.

Indeed.

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2014, 10:04 PM
How did I forget Suarez!! The way he curls into a ball, screams, clutches his chest and jumps in the air whenever tackled is disgraceful.

weonlywon6-2
11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
That is the player I thought about. If you looked at him, he would fall over. A bit like Robben, for that pen!

john macdonald,first i thought of as well,he practised diving while the rest practised football,diving cheating wee hun basa

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2014, 10:15 PM
John McDonald, McCoist, Ian Black, Pawlett. All conived to pull the wool over the refs eyes. Not that some of the refs needed any encouragement.

Green Reaper
11-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I remember that French guy that played for the yams getting yogi sent off. Think yogi rubbed his hair/head as he passed him and the guy went down like yogi had hit him with a brick. Long time ago but think that's how it went

Purple & Green
11-03-2014, 10:19 PM
John Macdonald

Brilliant - exactly what I thought.

Cheat then, cheat now, cheat forever.

and a hun, obviously.

Purple & Green
11-03-2014, 10:21 PM
I remember that French guy that played for the yams getting yogi sent off. Think yogi rubbed his hair/head as he passed him and the guy went down like yogi had hit him with a brick. Long time ago but think that's how it went

Stephen Paillie? Was that him?

Green Reaper
11-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Stephen Paillie? Was that him?

Aye' think so, pronounced 'stefan pie', well remembered

whiskyhibby
11-03-2014, 10:28 PM
How about that HoMOFC a??e at Hampden a few years ago when we played Lithuania

Jones28
11-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Kyle ****ing Lafferty

macca70
11-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Mikolooneytunes, dive against Scotland was outrageous.

Alan McGregor, horrible cheat. Trying to antagonise niggle opposition players at every opportunity.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-03-2014, 10:39 PM
THAT Lithuanian Twat for the THAT dive vs Scotland. Just incredibly devious.

skipster7
11-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Craig Gordon. No doubt we would have won that game but for him being " knocked out " with a shove in the chest.

Eyrie
11-03-2014, 10:44 PM
John Macdonald

Polaris was the first one that came to mind, with dishonourable mentions to Suarez and Craig Thomson.

Chibs
11-03-2014, 10:49 PM
john macdonald,first i thought of as well,he practised diving while the rest practised football,diving cheating wee hun basa
Erich used to have a poster on the wall in shades which read diving a sport for all with a picture of
john McDonald. :greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
11-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Davie Weir got away with murder every week, probably a lot worse than him but he was a horrible unprofessional ****wit.

JoeT_WasTheBest
11-03-2014, 10:55 PM
John Colquhoun and Craig Levein. Colquhoun was more blatant but Levein was a sly one, any time the 'cultured defender' tried strolling out and was tackled, he just crumpled in a heap and the ref blew the whistle.

Jones28
Steven Presley was always pretty good at winning free kicks in his own penalty area when hearts were hanging on for a win or draw.

hibees 7062
Craig Gordon. No doubt we would have won that game but for him being " knocked out " with a shove in the chest.

:agree:

Hibby-Nessie
11-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Andrei Kanchelskis in Hibs v rangers, for the most awful dive I can remember seeing. a lot of celtc players including Petrov and Namikaze Nakamura and lots of other names seen in this thread.

nonshinyfinish
11-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Namikaze Nakamura

Classy.

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Names that came to mind -
Suarez
Bale
Mackay-Steven
Pawlett
Mikalounas
Lafferty

joebakerforever
11-03-2014, 11:30 PM
John McDonald set the benchmark for future divers to follow.

Pressley obviously had read the manual and adapted it for dispossessed defenders.

LaMotta
11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
The Anderlecht team of 1993 that knocked us oot the Uefa cup.

--------
11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Don Revie.

truehibernian
12-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Peter Pawlett - still dives even when playing well - the worst kind of player, can't stand him. Hugely talented player (which makes it worse), taught/encouraged to dive in my opinion, four managers have failed to curb it or stop him doing it, quite literally a professional cheat on a football pitch!

monktonharp
12-03-2014, 01:43 AM
John Macdonaldthat wee welt! sure he learnt his trade of another divin' hun Doddsie McD. the current ones that get ma goat are the young ****bag at Dutd with the double barrelled name, and Pawlett at the dons who is a professional diver. let's hope he gets fund oot next week at the final, the little scroat.:cb

Boyle89
12-03-2014, 03:07 AM
Lee 'elbows' mcculloch. Dishes it out something rotten but crumples to the turf if someone so much as glances him.

Forza Fred
12-03-2014, 03:25 AM
Dunno about the worst, but the best was Eric Stevenson.

If fouled on the half way line, his dive would ensure he ended up in the penalty box!:wink:

givescotlandfreedom
12-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Good topic with many to choose from in no particular order:

Petrov
Mackay Stevens
Pawlett (media love boy after the same lot crucified GOC)
Gerrard
Laffarty
Novo
Black
McGeady

For us, Nish liked a dive and that was normally just embarrassing.

Biggie
12-03-2014, 07:04 AM
John macdonald.....

#FromTheCapital
12-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Jamie Hamill

Northernhibee
12-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Rory Fallon was all elbows.

O'Rourke3
12-03-2014, 07:51 AM
The Lee McC quip reminded me also of Sandy Clark. If he hacked you it was all smiles and hand shakes, if he was hacked it was fighting. Biggest coward on the pitch.

stu in nottingham
12-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Don Revie.

Beat me to it.

Bostonhibby
12-03-2014, 09:09 AM
John McDonald by some way, followed by his heir apparent Lee McCulloch with an honourable mention to Kyle Lafferty.

AngusHibby
12-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Mourinho's whole Porto team

Pretty Boy
12-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Or any team Mourinho has been involved with really.

connerg
12-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Andrei Kanchelskis in Hibs v rangers, for the most awful dive I can remember seeing. a lot of celtc players including Petrov and Namikaze Nakamura and lots of other names seen in this thread.

Henrik Larson never won a penalty without sticking one of his legs in between the defender's legs then diving and sprawling in the box.

--------
12-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Beat me to it.

Hi, Stu. Folks whae dinnae like Leeds United ken what's what, eh? :wink:

The Daily Mirror had a file of more than 300 pages of evidence from all over English football, which they presented to the FA. (this was before the Murdoch era, when even red-tops were proper newspapers from time to time, and proper investigative journalism hadn't yet died out from the land.)

Revie's departure from the England job and flight to Saudi Arabia (dressed as an Arab, btw) coincided with the arrival of the Mirror's file at Lancaster Gate.

Some say that's all it was - a great big coincidence. :devil:

The mandarins in the FA decided to kill the story and did him for "bringing the game into disrepute" (because he had told the Daily Mail he was leaving the England job before he told the FA) while ignoring all the rest of the corruption. The chairman of the FA was Sir Harold Thompson, who hated Revie's guts. He is alleged to have killed the story because he didn't want the press sniffing scandal in the FA - there were widespread rumours going about at the time about Sir Harold's nasty habit of groping air stewardesses' bottoms. (I've always wondered whether Benny Hill's "Professor" character in "The Italian Job" was a side-swipe at Thompson - Thompson was a professor of physical chemistry. Noel Coward's "Mr Bridger" seems obviously - to me anyway - to be a take-off of Alf Ramsey.)

A quote which may bring a schadenfreudian smile to your lips: "The only good thing to come out of it was that life with the Arabs for Revie was, by all accounts, pretty dreadful. It started OK, as he was entertained lavishly - until he signed terms. Then he was just another employee with the kind of respect that goes with it. For a man who put great store by being treated properly ... it was a total humiliation, a judgement of the gods. At Leeds, the board stuck their heads in the sand and pretended nothing had happened. Now the memorial to the club's moral bankruptcy is there for all to see. The corrupt, disgraced Revie and his messenger boy Bremner are commemorated with a stand named after the former and a statue erected to the latter."

That was written by Richard Stott, the journalist who compiled the file the FA buried.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Classy.

Are you morally outraged?

LeithBoozy
12-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Going back a bit, Millar and Brand of the Rangers. A bigger pair of diving bastas there never was, ask your dads. :rolleyes:

Waxy
12-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Surely Thierry henry blatently keeping the ball in play with his hand and the ref and linesman turning a blind eye? Must be the worst cheating i've ever seen.

.Sean.
12-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Pepe is a horrible ****

poolman
12-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Arjen Robben was a diving bassa last night

Great player, it really annoys me he resorts to that nonsense

brian6-2
12-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Suarez for me.

Geo_1875
12-03-2014, 01:22 PM
I can't believe there's only one mention of Steve Gerrard so far.

He's been a massive cheat for a number of years and has been aided and abetted by a lot of referees and the media who have never had the balls to have a go at him.

cabbageandribs1875
12-03-2014, 01:28 PM

He's been a massive cheat for a number of years and has been aided and abetted by a lot of referees and the media who have never had the balls to have a go at him.

i'l second that :agree:

Spudster
12-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Bobo Balde, seen him in double figures for fouls at ER and not even a yellow card. Could easily have had 6/7 yellows

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi, Stu. Folks whae dinnae like Leeds United ken what's what, eh? :wink:

The Daily Mirror had a file of more than 300 pages of evidence from all over English football, which they presented to the FA. (this was before the Murdoch era, when even red-tops were proper newspapers from time to time, and proper investigative journalism hadn't yet died out from the land.)

Revie's departure from the England job and flight to Saudi Arabia (dressed as an Arab, btw) coincided with the arrival of the Mirror's file at Lancaster Gate.

Some say that's all it was - a great big coincidence. :devil:

The mandarins in the FA decided to kill the story and did him for "bringing the game into disrepute" (because he had told the Daily Mail he was leaving the England job before he told the FA) while ignoring all the rest of the corruption. The chairman of the FA was Sir Harold Thompson, who hated Revie's guts. He is alleged to have killed the story because he didn't want the press sniffing scandal in the FA - there were widespread rumours going about at the time about Sir Harold's nasty habit of groping air stewardesses' bottoms. (I've always wondered whether Benny Hill's "Professor" character in "The Italian Job" was a side-swipe at Thompson - Thompson was a professor of physical chemistry. Noel Coward's "Mr Bridger" seems obviously - to me anyway - to be a take-off of Alf Ramsey.)

A quote which may bring a schadenfreudian smile to your lips: "The only good thing to come out of it was that life with the Arabs for Revie was, by all accounts, pretty dreadful. It started OK, as he was entertained lavishly - until he signed terms. Then he was just another employee with the kind of respect that goes with it. For a man who put great store by being treated properly ... it was a total humiliation, a judgement of the gods. At Leeds, the board stuck their heads in the sand and pretended nothing had happened. Now the memorial to the club's moral bankruptcy is there for all to see. The corrupt, disgraced Revie and his messenger boy Bremner are commemorated with a stand named after the former and a statue erected to the latter."

That was written by Richard Stott, the journalist who compiled the file the FA buried.

Doddie, was there any evidence of teams/players accepting the bribes offered to throw the game? I watched a documentary about it on You Tube recently. Gary Sprake went public with it when Revie was England manager and has been persona non grata with his former team-mates ever since. The poor guy has been made a pariah for telling the truth about what Revie did. It's strange the scandal is still relatively unknown.

12-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Kyle ****ing Lafferty

Aww that big lanky useless galoot was an embarrassment! A ***** player who believed he was big time. The way he threw himself down to the ground clutching his face against Mulgrew, when the cameras clearly show Mulgrew never touched him was an absolute disgrace. Cheating *******, trying to con the ref into sending Mulgrew off. I have some pals who are (decent) rangers supporters and even they said they were embarassed by his actions.

12-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Bobo Balde, seen him in double figures for fouls at ER and not even a yellow card. Could easily have had 6/7 yellows

Was it not him who stuck the elbow in Paul Fenwicks face one night at ER and not a thing was done about it? Could be thinking of someone else but im pretty sure it was him.

Pretty Boy
12-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Good shout.

Ended a young Leicester players career with a horrific tackle in a friendly if I remember correctly.

GlenrothesHibee
12-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Who was the wee Yam? Mikalounus? Diving little welt

Mon Dieu4
12-03-2014, 05:17 PM

That was my first thought too, especially that Derlei chap who got stretchered off twice and still scored the winner against Celtc, loved his style in that game

Groathillgrump
12-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Henrik Larson never won a penalty without sticking one of his legs in between the defender's legs then diving and sprawling in the box.

Agreed. Great player but he was a master at getting a dodgy penalty award. Remember one at Easter Road in particular which was an outrageous dive but surprise, surprise the ref blew the whistle before he even hit the deck!

John McDonald was definitely the worst I've ever seen though.

PeeJay
12-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Anyone remember this pretty awful "cheating" from Jordan?

http://youtu.be/foXf3n1Mv0I

KuqiKuqiCoo
12-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Peter Pawlett..would happily two foot him right in the face, so he actually knows what contact is

--------
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Doddie, was there any evidence of teams/players accepting the bribes offered to throw the game? I watched a documentary about it on You Tube recently. Gary Sprake went public with it when Revie was England manager and has been persona non grata with his former team-mates ever since. The poor guy has been made a pariah for telling the truth about what Revie did. It's strange the scandal is still relatively unknown.

Yes, there was, 315 pages of the Mirror dossier for a start, and a lot more dirt after Revie went off to Saudi.

Richard Stott, "Dogs and Lampposts", pp. 173-181. The Sun did a story with Mike O'Grady about a Wolves-Leeds match that O'Grady alleged Revie tried to fix.

I'd rather not go into details; I don't want to end up in the dock with the admins of the forum if someone takes exception to what I post. :devil:

lapsedhibee
12-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Later on in the thread when it comes time to pick a Cheaters' XI, it's going to be hard to choose between him and the spotty lesbian.
Robben, Drogba and Ashley Young in attack, Cole J, Gerrard and Bale in midfield. What about a back four though? Caveman's the only defender I can think of that liked a dive, and he's retired. Possibly Zaliukas for the shirt-pulling, but that's relatively lame.

Good topic with many to choose from in no particular order:

Petrov
Mackay Stevens
Pawlett (media love boy after the same lot crucified GOC)
Gerrard
Laffarty
Novo
Black
McGeady

For us, Nish liked a dive and that was normally just embarrassing.

Can't believe it either :na na:

Frazerbob
12-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Gordon Strachan........Joe T never touched him! :wink:

Bronson
12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Gilardino's dive v Celtic at Darkheid puts him up there, hilariously bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCX9Q8e76nA

Always hated Luca Toni as well.

12-03-2014, 06:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTeqDGeQEY

Embarrassingly bad cheating especially since he had a wee peak up to make sure the ref had noticed. Great player but let himself down very badly with his blatent cheating antics.

Keith_M
12-03-2014, 07:12 PM
John MacDonald, as others have pointed out already, is always worth a dishonourable mention. We even had a song specially for him.

Unfortunately, cheating is so pervasive in football now that it's impossible to say who's the worst. In most countries, it's now just part of the game for players from a young age. Here in Germany, they even roll about he pitch in local amatuer matches.

Oh and I really hate the word 'simulation'. If you mean diving, say diving.

nonshinyfinish
12-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Are you morally outraged?

Nope.

Hibercelona
12-03-2014, 07:35 PM

:agree:

I also hate the over use of the word "controversial". There's nothing to debate when you can see that the player has blatantly cheated.

Geo_1875
12-03-2014, 07:40 PM

That makes him a dirty ******* and the referee a cheating ****.

weonlywon6-2
12-03-2014, 08:47 PM
did i already mention John McDonald ????

edinburghhibee
12-03-2014, 09:58 PM
For me it's:

Suarez
Ramos
Busquets (spelling)
Pawlett

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2014, 10:13 PM
John MacDonald, as others have pointed out already, is always worth a dishonourable mention. We even had a song specially for him.

Unfortunately, cheating is so pervasive in football now that it's impossible to say who's the worst. In most countries, it's now just part of the game for players from a young age. Here in Germany, they even roll about he pitch in local amatuer matches.

I totally agree. We're on the road to football being a non contact sport and tackling will be outlawed. The diving accompanied by screaming and feigned injuries is now so widespread that it's accepted.

The Green Goblin
12-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Steven Pressley for me. Used to do my nut in whenever he was chasing a ball back - shields ball - opponent closes him down - sack of spuds steven's legs crumple - hits the deck without any contact - ref awards free kick. Utterly mental.

Eyrie
12-03-2014, 10:58 PM
did i already mention John McDonald ????

The only people that haven't mentioned him are too young to remember him. Went down faster than a crack whore shown a twenty dollar bill.

Mr White
13-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Steven Pressley for me. Used to do my nut in whenever he was chasing a ball back - shields ball - opponent closes him down - sack of spuds steven's legs crumple - hits the deck without any contact - ref awards free kick. Utterly mental.

:agree: often described by pundits as "using his experience". Cheating in other words.

craigmounthibby
13-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Peter Pawlett - still dives even when playing well - the worst kind of player, can't stand him. Hugely talented player (which makes it worse), taught/encouraged to dive in my opinion, four managers have failed to curb it or stop him doing it, quite literally a professional cheat on a football pitch!
:top marksI agree with your opinion too.

craigmounthibby
13-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Stilian Petrov. Sack o tatties.

Frogga
13-03-2014, 07:40 PM
The whole Dundee FC team in the Bonetti years (~2003). Absolute embarassment of a team.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Pepe is the worst/best serial offender, depending on which way you want to look at it.

Alex Trager
13-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Surprised noones mentioned CR yet! He has the tendency to go down easily

Scott Allan Key
13-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Suarez for me, this impartial video detailing both cheating and unsporting behaviour. A fine example of a genuine talent that has gone to his head very wrongly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzp9YM2b3DM

heretoday
13-03-2014, 10:10 PM
I remember Rivaldo going down like a sack of spuds clutching the wrong part of his anatomy! A more obvious case of cheating I've yet to see.

wookie70
13-03-2014, 10:17 PM
John Macdonald

That was who came to my mind first