PDA

View Full Version : New team

Hibiza
10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
New goalie. (getting stale). couple of full backs. new central defenders, a complete new midfield. a winger and a decent centre forward. that's all we need .:flag:

Waxy
10-03-2014, 03:14 PM
What we need is to start getting 100% from the players we've given contracts to.

Steven_Hibs
10-03-2014, 06:17 PM
New goalie. (getting stale). couple of full backs. new central defenders, a complete new midfield. a winger and a decent centre forward. that's all we need .:flag:

So yeah, a whole new team.

Magnifique
10-03-2014, 06:20 PM
What we need is to start getting 100% from the players we've given contracts to.

<start rant>. They were giving 100% first few games of Terry's tenure, then they stopped. There is obviously a lack of desire or ambition in this squad one or two apart. Empty 80% of the squad and build again <rant over>

eastterrace
10-03-2014, 07:47 PM
yes build team round stanton and forster, so just nine more players to get

Jones28
10-03-2014, 09:55 PM
So a totally new team? If we can build a team around our youngsters I'll be happy.

GreenOnions
11-03-2014, 09:57 AM
I understand the frustration but, although I think we need much more quality, I like quite a few of our players: Forster, Hanlon, Robertson, Thomson, Stanton, Craig, Harris and Stevenson. I also rate Ben Williams but I am assuming he's leaving in the summer.

It's interesting that most of the "quality" we have (6 out of 8 above) have come through our youth ranks - and there may be more waiting to come through. It shows what we could maybe do if we added to that with quality additions from other clubs. That's exactly what we've been missing these last few years.

number9dream
11-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Do we bring in another 8 or 9 new faces on the current wage structure, which has been the pattern in recent years or do we go after three or four players on higher salaries?
Obviously there are risks attached to the latter strategy but imagine the difference Latapy, Sauzee and Laursen for example would make to the current side.
Two full-backs should be top of the shopping list...

RIP
11-03-2014, 09:55 PM
How many years. 6 managers. Out with the old. In with the new. New is worse than old. Team goes backwards. New manager in. Another new squad. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

truehibernian
11-03-2014, 10:21 PM
How many years. 6 managers. Out with the old. In with the new. New is worse than old. Team goes backwards. New manager in. Another new squad. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Be prepared to for the 'worst' then Gogs - it's my understanding they'll be a huge influx this summer and to be honest it's long overdue. I actually trust TB and Mo to bring in a team of players who can perform.

What you must remember is that Hibs, for the first time in years, have a very high profile manager. What I'm hearing is incredibly positive - and I simply can't wait for 1) getting safe and 2) summer.

There will be a lot of new players at Hibs pre-season - absolutely certain mate.

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Be prepared to for the 'worst' then Gogs - it's my understanding they'll be a huge influx this summer and to be honest it's long overdue. I actually trust TB and Mo to bring in a team of players who can perform.

What you must remember is that Hibs, for the first time in years, have a very high profile manager. What I'm hearing is incredibly positive - and I simply can't wait for 1) getting safe and 2) summer.

There will be a lot of new players at Hibs pre-season - absolutely certain mate.
There has been a huge turnover of players over the last few years and to be honest not a lot of improvement. The big problem is that unless there is going to be a big change in the budget, we will just be bringing in the same standard of player. You are not going to try to tell me that Butcher is going to be able to bring 7 or 8 quality players to the club on the budget we have. Like it or not the budget is driven by the amount of season tickets we sell and unfortunately people aren't prepared to buy season tickets unless they see improvement on the park. I really don't want to sound negative but with every change of manager there has been a steady stream of players coming and going and, apart from one or two loan players (Griffiths and Claros), there has not been much in terms of quality. This makes it difficult for people to keep on believing as there have been so many let downs. The classic catch 22 situation.

GreenOnions
12-03-2014, 09:49 AM
There has been a huge turnover of players over the last few years and to be honest not a lot of improvement. The big problem is that unless there is going to be a big change in the budget, we will just be bringing in the same standard of player. You are not going to try to tell me that Butcher is going to be able to bring 7 or 8 quality players to the club on the budget we have. Like it or not the budget is driven by the amount of season tickets we sell and unfortunately people aren't prepared to buy season tickets unless they see improvement on the park. I really don't want to sound negative but with every change of manager there has been a steady stream of players coming and going and, apart from one or two loan players (Griffiths and Claros), there has not been much in terms of quality. This makes it difficult for people to keep on believing as there have been so many let downs. The classic catch 22 situation.

I know what you're saying but I do think the extremely poor signings we've made in general over the last few years show just what even one successful transfer window could do for us.

Last summer the only player brought in who has imroved us/has the potential to improve us (depending on your point of view) was Liam Craig.

The likes of Vine, Nelson, Heffernan, Collins, Mullen and Tudur-Jones have not improved us at all.

The club have been producing youngsters of quality (Hanlon, Stanton, Forster, Harris). It's the managers' signings that have let us down.

If even four out of the above eight summer signings had been high quality instead of just one then what a difference that could have made. We could have had a goalscorer, a pacey winger and a right back for example.

If the manager is the right guy in terms of motivation, organisation, tactics etc (which most of us believe he is) I think the difference between success and failure is quite small in the SPFL. If Terry can get even just four or five of his summer signings exactly right I really believe that would make a huge difference next season.

Two overlapping full-backs, a centre back, a winger and a striker .................

Onion
12-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Agree that the future this time looks a lot brighter with TB/MM in charge. Pretty sure TB/MM will bring in guys that will play for THEM. Over the last 4 or 5 years, many of the players Hibs have signed have not been sufficiently motivated by playing for the club itself or the manager. Every second week, most of the current bunch have also shown that they are not that interested in playing for TB/MM or the club - so it's bye bye in the summer.

Frankly, don't care what motivates Hibs players to give their best and 100% effort, as long as they do.

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I know what you're saying but I do think the extremely poor signings we've made in general over the last few years show just what even one successful transfer window could do for us.

Last summer the only player brought in who has imroved us/has the potential to improve us (depending on your point of view) was Liam Craig.

The likes of Vine, Nelson, Heffernan, Collins, Mullen and Tudur-Jones have not improved us at all.

The club have been producing youngsters of quality (Hanlon, Stanton, Forster, Harris). It's the managers' signings that have let us down.

If even four out of the above eight summer signings had been high quality instead of just one then what a difference that could have made. We could have had a goalscorer, a pacey winger and a right back for example.

If the manager is the right guy in terms of motivation, organisation, tactics etc (which most of us believe he is) I think the difference between success and failure is quite small in the SPFL. If Terry can get even just four or five of his summer signings exactly right I really believe that would make a huge difference next season.

Two overlapping full-backs, a centre back, a winger and a striker .................
I'm totally with you on this. There is a lot of talk of mass clear outs and that scares me because we would have to dilute the budget to bring in too many new faces like we have before. For me it has to be quality over quantity.

Onion
12-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Maybe the difference this time, is we might actually have a manager who knows what he's doing and can motivate players. We have a whole bunch of players at Hibs who have done well at their previous clubs (eg OTJ) but who have failed miserably at Hibs - for whatever reason. We have to hope that TB is capable of replacing (eg OTJ) with someone of similar pedigree/wages but who IS able to perform at a bigger club like Hibs, is driven to succeed and might even have the ambition/ability to perform at a higher level than Hibs.

Not one single player at Hibs looks like he could play at a higher level - not one. In all my years of watching Hibs, that's almost unique and shows as much as anything the very average to below average quality of player we have at the club. Most of these guys are getting paid more than they are worth. I hope that TB is able to use the wages that are freed up MUCH more effectively than our previous dud managers. If he isn't then we're ****ed.

Billy Whizz
12-03-2014, 10:31 AM
TB said when he came in that we had too many players. If we release 7/8, surely on with these comment we will only bring in 4/5 max

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Maybe the difference this time, is we might actually have a manager who knows what he's doing and can motivate players. We have a whole bunch of players at Hibs who have done well at their previous clubs (eg OTJ) but who have failed miserably at Hibs - for whatever reason. We have to hope that TB is capable of replacing (eg OTJ) with someone of similar pedigree/wages but who IS able to perform at a bigger club like Hibs, is driven to succeed and might even have the ambition/ability to perform at a higher level than Hibs.

Not one single player at Hibs looks like he could play at a higher level - not one. In all my years of watching Hibs, that's almost unique and shows as much as anything the very average to below average quality of player we have at the club. Most of these guys are getting paid more than they are worth. I hope that TB is able to use the wages that are freed up MUCH more effectively than our previous dud managers. If he isn't then we're ****ed.
This is a great point. There is nobody who is going to command a transfer fee which could be used to improve the squad. Apart from a couple of youngsters who have just broken into the team, Stanton and possibly Harris and Forster, who would we actually be really sick about leaving the club?

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Personally i hope you are right, i cant wait to get rid of most of these losers. We just have to hope Terry does a much better job than the previous lot who have said the same things.

:pray:

hibbydog
12-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Some good points on this thread - for years we've been bringing in ~ 8 or so players each summer. Most of them have been guff.

So maybe it is time we tried a smaller number of better quality players. Say like 4 or so players you'd definitely start in every game if fit, then fill in the rest with youngsters.

Bigger risk if one or more of your signings gets injured, but with the quantity over quality policy clearly not working, we have to try a different approach?!

J-C
12-03-2014, 06:21 PM
I've nothing against 8-9 changes as long as you get them in early and have a full pre season to allow the m to gel, please this time tho let us have players who improve us.

hibbydog
12-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I've nothing against 8-9 changes as long as you get them in early and have a full pre season to allow the m to gel, please this time tho let us have players who improve us.

Me neither mate. But The last 7 or so years have shown us that if we spread the budget over 8 players the quality isn't so good. Perhaps we'd be better with 4 gid yins.

Just a thought like, ken.

J-C
12-03-2014, 06:50 PM
We need Butcher and co tp work their magic and get some wee gems down south

TRC
12-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Just for fun but if we could take a player from every team in the spfl who would we take. And yes before you ask you have to take a yam.

weonlywon6-2
12-03-2014, 07:45 PM

i presume you hold the cheque book for all these signings ??

edinburghhibee
12-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Just for fun but if we could take a player from every team in the spfl who would we take. And yes before you ask you have to take a yam.

St Mirren: kello
ICT: shinnie
Celtic: van dyke
Aberdeen: Reynolds
Dundee Utd: mackay-Stevens
Killie: Boyd
Hearts: smith
Partick: higgenbottom
Ross county: kiss
St Johnstone: May
Motherwell: McFadden

Unseen work
12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I think once otj gets properly fit and injury free, with a good pre season we will see him feature a lot next season under butcher

IberianHibernian
12-03-2014, 10:40 PM
We need Butcher and co tp work their magic and get some wee gems down southThere are a lot of very ordinary players in top league in England so why focus on " gems " in England presumably from lower leagues there ? Why not in Scandinavia for example ? We signed 2 promising young Irish players with Fenlon ( was disappointing that we didn`t sign more and both had good reputations in Ireland , hopefully Cody will make an impact on return ) but if scouting is limited to England i doubt we`ll progress much .

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
There are too many mediocrities taking a good wage from the club. In the summer Butcher needs a big clear out. A club of Hibs' size should always be looking to develop its own talent, and it looks like we have a good batch of kids coming through now. We have great facilities to develop young players and should be looking to scout and recruit the best kids in Scotland. I really hope Butcher will make this the top priority of his tenure, then he can add a few good signings, rather than being forced to signing a large number of very average players. This policy would have added bonus of generating income for the club when bigger clubs come calling for our top youngsters, who would hopefully be replaced in turn by other youngsters. This should be the future of Scottish football. It requires years of hard graft in development, but is much preferable to yearly quick fixes.

Jack
12-03-2014, 10:50 PM
16 players, including the loans, will be leaving in the summer out of around 28 in the squad.

I assume we'd like to keep Handling and Cummings.

I suspect TB will be looking for around 22/23 in the squad.

That's still a lot of players to bring in but a hugely increased capacity to pay more.

Billy Whizz
12-03-2014, 10:52 PM
16 players, including the loans, will be leaving in the summer out of around 28 in the squad.

I assume we'd like to keep Handling and Cummings.

I suspect TB will be looking for around 22/23 in the squad.

That's still a lot of players to bring in but a hugely increased capacity to pay more.
Jack, who are the 16

Hero76
12-03-2014, 10:55 PM
TB has built 2 teams at ICT he will not fail I just hope we are patient and give him the same time he haf up thr road.

hibeemikey21
12-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Jack, who are the 16

IMO off the top of my head:

Williams
Murdoch
Maybury
McPake
Boateng
Nelson
Booth
Cairney