PDA

View Full Version : 104 yr old Hibby on sponsored walk for Childrens Cancer Charity - Do you want to help

Stantons Angel
10-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Our legend SAMMI MARTINEZ is showing us all up!

At 104yrs old he is undertaking a sponsored walk in aid of CCLASP the childrens cancer charity.

Like me most of you know Sammi as a GREAT HIBBIE who has supported the Hibs since he landed on our shores some 60odd years ago.

I want to help Sammi raise as much as he can for this great charity and hope you will join in and give generously.

If there is enough interest i will set up a justgiving page for him and you can give direct in to this on his behalf.

I know there are thousands of great charities needing help out there but non of them have our Sammi at the helm!

So come on and help him by donating to the justgiving page i will set up if i get enough pledges.

below is the link to the story about him and his quest.

[url]http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/unstoppable-104-year-old-embarks-charity-walk

Sammy's just giving page details
http://www.justgiving.com/SammyMartinez
:

GGTTH!

Scònaldò
10-03-2014, 08:39 AM
I'd be interested in giving.

Peevemor
10-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Brilliant story. I'm up for donating.

Pretty Boy
10-03-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm sure I could spare a few pounds.

cabbageandribs1875
10-03-2014, 09:00 AM
grand old man :agree: i'm sure sam used to travel on the late Maude McFarlanes hawkhill bus ? set a link up for donations

Fife-Hibee
10-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Count me in :-)

Thecat23
10-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm in mate.

Scònaldò
10-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Surely more would contribute?

ronaldo7
10-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm in:aok:

Stantons Angel
10-03-2014, 03:51 PM
grand old man :agree: i'm sure sam used to travel on the late Maude McFarlanes hawkhill bus ? set a link up for donations

yes you are quite correct Sammi did travel on Maudes bus regularly and still attends the odd game with family.

He visits the Hibs club too and continues to be treated as special as he is!

I have spread this around the Facebook pages of the Hibs club and many of my Hibs supporting friends and it looks as if i will be setting up the justgiving page shortly.

Thanks to all of you who have said they would donate but there are more of you out there who i know will want to help so please let me know so i can get the page set up as soon as possible.

This is a wee smiling, cheery, positive, thinking wee Hibby who is also a lovely wee man, he deserves our support so come on and spread the word around for me!!!

Boyle89
10-03-2014, 04:15 PM
I remember a story about him before the 2012 final. It was a fantastic story about how he came to support hibs and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I'm in:flag:.

whiskyhibby
10-03-2014, 04:18 PM
I'd be very happy to donate

:aok:

TRC
10-03-2014, 06:06 PM
This is my mates granddad. Hope we can all give a little support to Sammy.

Wighty76
10-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Not a problem. To have his level of motivation at his grand old age is just class. :not worth

Houchy
10-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Great story and a great cause. I'll donate.

Malthibby
10-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Me too.:flag:

Ronniekirk
10-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I'd be very happy to donate

:aok:
This Plus this deserves as wide a coverage as possible ,at 104 years of age it's Sutch a positive inspiring story

Iggy Pope
10-03-2014, 07:53 PM
In. Remember Sammy on the bus and how I was intrigued about how he came here, never mind came to be a Hibby.

Hibernia&Alba
10-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Perhaps we could do a big sponsorship on behalf of .net users? If everyone here even just managed a couple of quid each, that would be a good sum.

As I type there are over three hundred .net members online, which could be a fair wedge!

Jonnyboy
10-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm definitely in. Haven't seen Sammi in years but fondly recall the man who loves Hibs. Pretty sure he once walked home from Montrose when he missed his bus and on an occasion when we were all in London for the Wembley weekend, Sammi approached one of the railway staff to ask directions. He was giggling like mad when he came back saying "that guy said he'd never met a black Scotsman before' Lovely man/great cause :agree:

TRC
10-03-2014, 08:26 PM
In. Remember Sammy on the bus and how I was intrigued about how he came here, never mind came to be a Hibby.

Think the story was in the paper a while back, story goes that he was walking up easter Road saw a big group of people followed them stood in the same queue. Got a free ticket went in fell in love with the football he saw. Don't forget that this was probably in the 50 so probably quite a good team

Stantons Angel
10-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Perhaps we could do a big sponsorship on behalf of .net users? If everyone here even just managed a couple of quid each, that would be a good sum.

As I type there are over three hundred .net members online, which could be a fair wedge!

I would love to see this coming off but at the time we have had 559 viewers with only 17 committing themselves to help out. Cant see many more being interested in a 104 year old Hibby putting them all to shame by taking this on himself? He is such a fantastic wee man and always has a smile on his face.

This is one of the reasons i put it on here to see if any good Hibbies wanted to help, im not suggesting you give a huge amount to help him but just a few pounds each would make all the difference to his total amount raised.

He would be so proud of himself knowing people wanted to help him and them all being Hibs supporters.

PLEASE spread the word if you think it is a good idea. I need to get some more commitment before i put up the just giving page.

So come on and spppprrreeeaaadd the word to all your pals on here.

thanks

GGTTH!

Hibernia&Alba
10-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I would love to see this coming off but at the time we have had 559 viewers with only 17 committing themselves to help out. Cant see many more being interested in a 104 year old Hibby putting them all to shame by taking this on himself? He is such a fantastic wee man and always has a smile on his face.

This is one of the reasons i put it on here to see if any good Hibbies wanted to help, im not suggesting you give a huge amount to help him but just a few pounds each would make all the difference to his total amount raised.

He would be so proud of himself knowing people wanted to help him and them all being Hibs supporters.

PLEASE spread the word if you think it is a good idea. I need to get some more commitment before i put up the just giving page.

So come on and spppprrreeeaaadd the word to all your pals on here.

thanks

GGTTH!

Admin, how about making this a sticky and advertising it as a .net joint sponsorship?

Either way I'd be happy to donate to such a remarkable thing.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Admin, how about making this a sticky and advertising it as a .net joint sponsorship?

Either way I'd be happy to donate to such a remarkable thing.

I may be wrong but I believe making it a sticky might actually reduce the numbers reading it. Best we just keep it high on the page by bumping it now and again (if I'm right that is :greengrin)

Stantons Angel
10-03-2014, 08:52 PM
I'm definitely in. Haven't seen Sammi in years but fondly recall the man who loves Hibs. Pretty sure he once walked home from Montrose when he missed his bus and on an occasion when we were all in London for the Wembley weekend, Sammi approached one of the railway staff to ask directions. He was giggling like mad when he came back saying "that guy said he'd never met a black Scotsman before' Lovely man/great cause :agree:

Sammi and his pal did indeed walk all the way home from Montrose as they didnt know where the bus was parked after the game.

Maude thought they had gone on another branch's bus and left without them.

They didnt catch a lift till next morning just before they crossed the Forth Road Bridge!

Many years later i met up with one of his sons at University who asked me if this was true or was his dad exaggerating? The family had thought he was pulling their legs as he often told them the story.

Sammi's family had paid for him to come on the trip to Wembley with us that year and i remember well meeting him standing in a shop doorway eating a bag of chips. He's spent the day in an Irish club watching the game and had a brilliant time, making new friends and enjoying the hospitality.

The smile on his face when he came over to tell what those railway workers had said to him has never left me, he was beaming from ear to ear.

A fantastic character and a good friend of many years.

Ive set up the following justgiving page with a target of £100 and im sure we will smash this with kindness.
http://www.justgiving.com/SammyMartinez

Scònaldò
10-03-2014, 09:34 PM
EDIT: Sorted and donated.

Stantons Angel
10-03-2014, 09:47 PM
EDIT: Sorted and donated.

Many thanks.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Donation made :aok:

Stantons Angel
10-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Donation made :aok:

Thanks.

Hibernia&Alba
10-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Donation made. Remember folks, just a pound or two each from everyone who reads this thread would do so much good. It's a wonderful thing Sammy is doing.

Peevemor
11-03-2014, 05:53 AM
Done :aok:

Mr White
11-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Donated.

whiskyhibby
11-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Donated....

Peevemor
11-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Sitting at £100 now. Well done folks - keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

Stantons Angel
11-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Sitting at £100 now. Well done folks - keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:#

Wow!

That target will have to be changed now.

Thank you all so much but keep it coming in.

Just give what you can afford every little amount helps make the amout this incredible man raises, more and more!

All of you who said you wanted to give can give now on the justgiving site.

Ive even had a Thank You text from the Charity thanking us for helping Sammy so come on lets get him some more money!

Thanks though to all who have already contributed its fantastic!!

Stantons Angel
11-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Sitting at £100 now. Well done folks - keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

Taken from the justgiving page target beaten another £100 donation from Sykes Global Services given to Sammy's cause.

The UNSTOPPABLE 104yr old Sammy Martinez

pageEvent: The UNSTOPPABLE 104yr old Sammy Martinez