PDA

View Full Version : how to sell more season tickets!!!

hugo boss
09-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Just thought and probably wont happen, but why dont the board or chairman entice us fans to buy more season tickets. If you fans commit to buying season tickets next season we will guarantee every ticket bought £200 goes to new players?? or the board will match the ticket price on new players...

GreenPJ
09-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Just thought and probably wont happen, but why dont the board or chairman entice us fans to buy more season tickets. If you fans commit to buying season tickets next season we will guarantee every ticket bought £200 goes to new players?? or the board will match the ticket price on new players...

I thought the vast majority of season ticket money already went on transfer budget. As for the matching bit where do the board get money from to match?

Michael
09-03-2014, 03:54 PM
They've tried it before:

"Every penny from Season Tickets will be spent on the playing squad." (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/TV/ExtendedHighlightsDetail/0,,10290~2722711,00.html)

Mikey
09-03-2014, 03:57 PM
They've tried it before:

"Every penny from Season Tickets will be spent on the playing squad." (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/TV/ExtendedHighlightsDetail/0,,10290~2722711,00.html)

It's what they still do.

Alfred E Newman
09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Should be " every penny of season ticket money will be frittered away on bad buys and second rate loan players"

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
The days of the rigid ST working for fans have long since gone, innovative ideas that suit the circumstances and demand are required if a committed fan base is ever to be achieved with regard to paying up front.

Heedersnvolleys
09-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Play better football
Win more games
sorry but it as simple as that

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 04:12 PM

So, on a £380 East Stand ticket, you're suggesting that £200 goes to new players?

What happens to the other £180?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
We should be getting paid to go.

hugo boss
09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
So, on a £380 East Stand ticket, you're suggesting that £200 goes to new players?

What happens to the other £180? the day to day running of the club?

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 04:21 PM
the day to day running of the club?

Given that, in the past, all of the ST money has gone on the playing squad, I'm not sure how this is going to help us. If anything, that would be an incentive NOT to buy an ST, no?

hugo boss
09-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Given that, in the past, all of the ST money has gone on the playing squad, I'm not sure how this is going to help us. If anything, that would be an incentive NOT to buy an ST, no? maybe so... i just think the board need to entice the supporters back, i know its all about the style and play/results but the last 5 seasons have been murder.

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 04:25 PM
maybe so... i just think the board need to entice the supporters back, i know its all about the style and play/results but the last 5 seasons have been murder.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see your logic.

As things stand, of that £380 ticket money, £380 goes to the playing budget.

Under your scheme, only £200 goes to the playing budget.

How does that entice the supporters back?

hugo boss
09-03-2014, 04:26 PM
We should be getting paid to go. I have already bought mines must be of my head...

Elephant Stone
09-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Beat Hear7s, finish top six, sign decent players.

Pete
09-03-2014, 04:32 PM
We should be getting paid to go.

Do fans of other clubs constantly speak like this, even in jest?

The joke is wearing thin.

oregonhibby
09-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Win

Pete
09-03-2014, 04:33 PM
I have already bought mines must be of my head...

Why? Would you have preferred to buy one for another team?

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 04:35 PM

So you're happy for half of your money to go to new players? :greengrin

hugo boss
09-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Why? Would you have preferred to buy one for another team? This.

The Utility Man
09-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Bring all season tickets down to £150

As an alternative for all ST holders at each home game show your ST for a free pie and bovril?

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Which means that we have to sell more than twice as many as we currently have to give the manager the same budget :-)

And the catering income isn't Hibs'

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 04:53 PM
People seem to be brilliant at coming up with ideas that would cost Hibs money whilst still demanding we spend the same or more on players.

Gerard
09-03-2014, 04:53 PM

me too:devil:

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
People seem to be brilliant at coming up with ideas that would cost Hibs money whilst still demanding we spend the same or more on players.

At times like this I'm glad RP has his hands on the bank account :)

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 05:22 PM
People seem to be brilliant at coming up with ideasWhereas the people who run the club have nae ideas or imagination at all. All they can come up with is give us your money again. Must have taken all of two minutes tae come up with their one size fits all pricing plan as it must have the year before and the year before that and then they try tae blame it on the fans by coming out with lines like "Following positive supporter feedback our simple pricing structure remains in place". I wonder who they must be asking as most of I've seen is complaints about the rigid unimaginative pricing structure.

Mark79
09-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Here is a thought. Debenture seats. Say a 10 year season ticket. Say 5% of our season ticket holders bought these be a big whack of cash into the pot. If we were to invest in our playing staff for a change the extra cash we make here we could build something decent.

Would anyone on here buy a debenture for say £3000 if they chucked in free cup top ups and had your name on your seat.

Just a thought.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I've been going to a restaurant for years, it has some very loyal regular customers who constantly complain about the food on offer yet continue to dine there hoping it might get better.
We're not expecting Michelin Star standards but considering their prices are high compared to other similar establishments we do expect the fayre to be of a reasonably high standard. It constantly falls below the standard we expect, the manager though reassures us that a busy restaurant will enable him to invest in and attract chefs of a much higher standard, without the income from a busy restaurant we will have to except that the food will never be any better than the average pub food on offer in Wetherspoons.

Should we stop eating there.........................?

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Whereas the people who run the club have nae ideas or imagination at all. All they can come up with is give us your money again. Must have taken all of two minutes tae come up with their one size fits all pricing plan as it must have the year before and the year before that and then they try tae blame it on the fans by coming out with lines like "Following positive supporter feedback our simple pricing structure remains in place". I wonder who they must be asking as most of I've seen is complaints about the rigid unimaginative pricing structure.

I've no issue with different ideas DD.

I think a flexible shorter term ST, for say 5 or 10 game packages, is a great idea. I wouldn't be against offering discounts to the unemployed, especially those on long term sick, I thought the voucher for a cheap strip a few years back was decent.

But all tickets £150? A free pie and bovril every week if you buy a ST? Seems like a surefire way to get into financial bother in double quick time.

Beefster
09-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Which means that we have to sell more than twice as many as we currently have to give the manager the same budget :-)

And the catering income isn't Hibs'

Aren't you missing the distinction between playing budget and new players? The OP's idea was to spend half the ST money on new players. Presumably the existing players would be paid from the other half.

Still wouldn't work, mind you.

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I've no issue with different ideas DD.

I think a flexible shorter term ST, for say 5 or 10 game packages, is a great idea. I wouldn't be against offering discounts to the unemployed, especially those on long term sick, I thought the voucher for a cheap strip a few years back was decent.

But all tickets £150? A free pie and bovril every week if you buy a ST? Seems like a surefire way to get into financial bother in double quick time.I agree that is nonsense but what would it take tae come up with something a bit mair imaginative than what we currently have? Obviously mair than those currently running the club are capable of or can be bothered their erses tae come up with, they just think they'll churn out the same auld ***** and people will keep buying it.

I agree with your idea of shorter flexible tickets at the start of the season, maybe at a slightly less discounted rate than a full ST, that might encourage those who winnae commit tae a full season ticket (and who would instead just PATG) and get mair money in before the start of the season. Those who can and want tae commit tae a full ST would do so anyway.

I dinnae ken what % discount a ST actually offers over WU price and I cannae be ersed trying tae work it out (so I'm just going tae make up figures for an example :greengrin ).

Full ST = 20% discount on WU price
Part ST = 15% discount on WU price

Then if part ST holders can make any mair games than they have initially paid for they can have each game added tae their card at say 10% discount.

And remember (before anybody goes on about costs) the figures are just made up as an example and in reality may need tae be different but they must be able tae come up with something better than same auld crap they do come out with.

GreenCastle
09-03-2014, 06:09 PM
In order to sell more - any of the following may help...

1 - win more games
2 - win more home games
3 - be entertaining to watch
4 - sign some decent players
5 - reduce prices and provide decent catering
6 - reduce prices
7 - more dynamic pricing - cheaper to watch from side of stand etc
8 - make ER more interesting to come to - fans sports bar underneath the East Stand etc

Ricky Bobby
09-03-2014, 06:11 PM
My thoughts exactly.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I dont think a 5-10 game season ticket can work, who would buy a full one if you can just buy one of these and see how good or bad the seasons going?

If we are as bad as normal, then some wont bother going after their 5 or 10 games are up. The club wouldnt be able to plan any kind of future with that.

Just get STF to put the money for 10k season books in up front, then take it back once the season tickets are in. That would show real leadership, and give the whole club a boost at the same time.

So what if we don't actually sell 10k season tickets, he can afford it and by doing it we'd not be a kick in the arse off it.

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
I dont think a 5-10 game season ticket can work, who would buy a full one if you can just buy one of these and see how good or bad the seasons going?

If we are as bad as normal, then some wont bother going after their 5 or 10 games are up. The club wouldnt be able to plan any kind of future with that.

Just get STF to put the money for 10k season books in up front, then take it back once the season tickets are in. That would show real leadership, and give the whole club a boost at the same time.

So what if we don't actually sell 10k season tickets, he can afford it and by doing it we'd not be a kick in the arse off it.

Why bother with a season ticket if Farmer has already injected the cash? Much easier to pay as you go and then if the season is poor, stop going. He's out of pocket rather than you.

I like a variant on the idea of the dynamic pricing where the cost of the season ticket falls when certain threshholds are reached. Keeping figures simple, pitch a standard adult ticket at £400, but if 7000 are sold take £20 off the cost for the following season's renewals, take £30 off if 8000 are sold, £40 off for 9000 sold etc. The club gains in the first season of the scheme as all tickets are full price but the fans benefit the next season from the discount when they renew. New purchasers still have to pay full price. The club has the advantage when setting its budget for year two of knowing how big the discount will be.

Could even take a further £5 off for each televised game where the season ticket wasn't used, but with a maximum of three games.

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Why bother with a season ticket if Farmer has already injected the cash? Much easier to pay as you go and then if the season is poor, stop going. He's out of pocket rather than you.

I like a variant on the idea of the dynamic pricing where the cost of the season ticket falls when certain threshholds are reached. Keeping figures simple, pitch a standard adult ticket at £400, but if 7000 are sold take £20 off the cost for the following season's renewals, take £30 off if 8000 are sold, £40 off for 9000 sold etc. The club gains in the first season of the scheme as all tickets are full price but the fans benefit the next season from the discount when they renew. New purchasers still have to pay full price. The club has the advantage when setting its budget for year two of knowing how big the discount will be.

Could even take a further £5 off for each televised game where the season ticket wasn't used, but with a maximum of three games.More ideas :aok: Now why isn't there anybody at the club that could come up with something like that or other ideas tae suit our club & fan base, instead we get, you will pay this if you sit here, you will pay that if you sit there and that's it. Is it that they're incapable or is it that they just cannae be ersed, in either case it's time for them tae move on.

Weststandwanab
09-03-2014, 06:34 PM

And the catering income isn't Hibs' I would be amazed of there was any catering income/profit !

I've been going to a restaurant for years, it has some very loyal regular customers who constantly complain about the food on offer yet continue to dine there hoping it might get better.
We're not expecting Michelin Star standards but considering their prices are high compared to other similar establishments we do expect the fayre to be of a reasonably high standard. It constantly falls below the standard we expect, the manager though reassures us that a busy restaurant will enable him to invest in and attract chefs of a much higher standard, without the income from a busy restaurant we will have to except that the food will never be any better than the average pub food on offer in Wetherspoons.

Should we stop eating there.........................? Absolutely yes, which restaurant is it ?

The_Horde
09-03-2014, 06:37 PM
150 is a bit drastic but could certainly reduce the prices. Or even put a wee offer on for a limited period.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2014, 06:37 PM

Could even take a further £5 off for each televised game where the season ticket wasn't used, but with a maximum of three games.

The reason i want our owner to put the money up is because he can afford it, the club needs a boost and he's in a position to do it.

As for your other bit, i said this a couple of seasons ago, Hartlepool did it and sold their ground out with record sales doing it. :agree:

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 06:38 PM
More ideas :aok: Now why isn't there anybody at the club that could come up with something like that or other ideas tae suit our club & fan base, instead we get, you will pay this if you sit here, you will pay that if you sit there and that's it. Is it that they're incapable or is it that they just cannae be ersed, in either case it's time for them tae move on.

I have no background in marketing but can come up with an idea like that in less time than it took to type. I'm sure there will be some wrinkles to be ironed out, but it's a starting point that both rewards the returning fans and reflects the frustration of being mucked around over kick off times.

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 06:41 PM
The reason i want our owner to put the money up is because he can afford it, the club needs a boost and he's in a position to do it.

As for your other bit, i said this a couple of seasons ago, Hartlepool did it and sold their ground out with record sales doing it. :agree:

We could get the same boost from Butcher spending the existing budget more wisely than his predecessors managed.

From memory, the Hartlepool one was slightly different in that it affected the price for the current season rather than the next season. I could see that working if everyone was on a payment plan as the final payments are reduced as the ticket price falls, but it's a hassle to organise refunds for those who pay in full up front.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2014, 06:49 PM
We could get the same boost from Butcher spending the existing budget more wisely than his predecessors managed.

From memory, the Hartlepool one was slightly different in that it affected the price for the current season rather than the next season. I could see that working if everyone was on a payment plan as the final payments are reduced as the ticket price falls, but it's a hassle to organise refunds for those who pay in full up front.

I dont think we will get any kind of boost this coming season, we won't know how we will go on until the new season starts.

If STF were to put the money up now, and gave Terry the best chance to bring in who he needs early then that would cause interest to rise in my opinion. He'd also be likely to get more folk buy a season ticket BECAUSE he'd shown some proper leadership from the top.

And bare in mind whatever we did bring in with season ticket sales, it would all go back to him. Its not such a great gamble in the grand scheme of things.

Jonnyboy
09-03-2014, 08:00 PM
I think loyalty could be rewarded a bit more. For every fan that continues to buy an ST a discount could be applied. For example - three years a regular buyer = 10% discount. Four years = 12% discount etc etc

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I think loyalty could be rewarded a bit more. For every fan that continues to buy an ST a discount could be applied. For example - three years a regular buyer = 10% discount. Four years = 12% discount etc etcstarting 7 seasons ago :greengrin

anybody still around efter that lot should get a 50% discount (and certified :greengrin )

Jonnyboy
09-03-2014, 08:07 PM
starting 7 seasons ago :greengrin

anybody still around efter that lot should get a 50% discount (and certified :greengrin )

:greengrin :aok:

down-the-slope
09-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Its this kind of thing that makes me do my own accounts and never outsource to the 'professionals' ..... I think customs & excise may have an issue with you're 'numbers'

:wink:

down-the-slope
09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
starting 7 seasons ago :greengrin

I thought you had been?

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
I thought you had been?Aye, years ago but I want another opinion now and a 50 % discount.

down-the-slope
09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Aye, years ago but I want another opinion now and a 50 % discount.

:greengrin - maybe a few of us could club together and get a box - with addition of stand seats. If the footie is good we meet up have a few beers and grub before heading to out seats in the stand....

If footie is guff we meet up have a few beers and grub before watching a decent match on our sat link wide screen TV / posting on .net on our high speed Wi-Fi link... while having a few more beers and some more grub

SunshineOnLeith
09-03-2014, 09:42 PM
We have 19 home games a season. Next season, to be a walk up fan would cost ~£447 (17 x £23, 2 games vs Celtic @ £28). So, if you're going to go to every home game, a season ticket is a decent saving (about 18%).

But there's quite a lot of people like me who pick and choose games based largely on kick off time. I tend not to go to lunchtime games for example, as I just don't enjoy going to a game that early, and will inevitably miss the odd other game here and there. So I'd probably make it to about 15 of the home games, costing me approx. £345, therefore a ST isn't value for someone with my attendance pattern.

However, what if the club offered the chance to purchase the right to buy discounted tickets throughout the season, say £110 at the start of the season and then games cost £15 to get in (£20 for Celtic). Then if I attended 15 Cat B home games my total spend would be £335, a small saving over walking up every game (and could throw in a cheap strip voucher/friendly tickets, big game ticket priority behind STs etc as a sweetener), but Hibs get the benefit of having a decent chunk of my cash upfront. If I attended every game I'd spend £405, so not as good value as a season ticket, which is fair.

I'm making this up as I go along so I'm sure there's a huge flaw I've missed!

CropleyWasGod
09-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Aren't you missing the distinction between playing budget and new players? The OP's idea was to spend half the ST money on new players. Presumably the existing players would be paid from the other half.

Still wouldn't work, mind you.

:agree:

Even sillier, IMO.

If you mean/he means paying transfer fees, that's not going to work. We'll be paying less than we already do in wages.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2014, 10:16 PM
It's good to see the discussion in this thread. With so many empty seats at ER something imaginative needs to happen. The loyalty discount is a good idea IMO. Debenture tickets could be a goer, as could a sports bar for fans. The club needs to combine such incentives with a more successful team of course. By getting it right on and off the pitch there's scope to increase attendances considerably. The Hibs fans are out there.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I think loyalty could be rewarded a bit more. For every fan that continues to buy an ST a discount could be applied. For example - three years a regular buyer = 10% discount. Four years = 12% discount etc etc

You will only end paying a couple of shillings. :greengrin

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 10:42 PM
You will only end paying a couple of shillings. :greengrin:greengrin

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
I dont think we will get any kind of boost this coming season, we won't know how we will go on until the new season starts.

If STF were to put the money up now, and gave Terry the best chance to bring in who he needs early then that would cause interest to rise in my opinion. He'd also be likely to get more folk buy a season ticket BECAUSE he'd shown some proper leadership from the top.

And bare in mind whatever we did bring in with season ticket sales, it would all go back to him. Its not such a great gamble in the grand scheme of things.

Fair enough, especially the bit about the need to get players in early.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
When you buy an adult season ticket get another ticket adult/senior/student/child for FREE.

Also reduce the prices by a wee bit.

Mikey
09-03-2014, 10:49 PM
When you buy an adult season ticket get another ticket adult/senior/student/child for FREE.

Also reduce the prices by a wee bit.

Have you thought that through at all? Even slightly?

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Also reduce the prices by a wee bit.I thought we having a serious discussion here about a creative pricing structure and initiatives. Lets no be silly now.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Have you thought that through at all? Even slightly?

It was a joke....

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 10:59 PM
I thought we having a serious discussion here about a creative pricing structure and initiatives. Lets no be silly now.

I was kidding on.

IberianHibernian
09-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Think it would be a good idea to sell some tickets ( seasons and walk up ) which don`t go with a numbered seat . We`ve got loads of empty seats and still would even if top of the league and playing geat football so could have zones without numbered seats ( in South and corners of other stands at least ) . Some people won`t buy a season cause they prefer to change seat or to sit with friends who only go to odd game ( friend might even support opposition but that`s another discussion ) . And group tickets ( season and walk up ) ? In general I think obsession with selling more seasons is wrong and more should be done to sell more walk ups - some walkups will become season ticket holders and others ( tourists etc ) will buy merchandise .

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Why not entice the fans by saying if we sell 10,000 ST,s we will return a further 10-20 quid back to your account or give you a voucher to spend in the club shop.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2014, 09:34 PM
You will only end paying a couple of shillings. :greengrin

:greengrin

Surely you mean groats? :greengrin

Saorsa
10-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Surely you mean groats? :greengrin:greengrin

BVB Hibs
10-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Most people that are potential season ticket holders will buy one if they have a reason to believe that the season is going to hold something exciting. For that reason we need to try get the current base of season ticket holders in to renew or buy early so that squad changes can be made earlier in the summer and hopefully entice more people to buy tickets throughout July and August that wouldn't have otherwise.

I'd suggest a reduced price for the month of March with a free financing option (let's say £355 for this period, with free financing). Mid april I'd remove the financing option but leave the tickets at the same price. Then come mid may towards the start of June ramp the price up to £395-400 ish. Hopefully that should bring in more early adopters so we have the bulk of the season ticket money before the start of the transfer window. Do business early and hopefully convince further people to buy at the higher price because this season will be worth it with our "brilliant new players". If people decide to to take the discount, for whatever reason, Hibs don't really miss out as the loss from the lower price will essentially be cancelled out by the gain from the higher pricing. Hopefully more people would be enticed by the lower prices, which would hopefully get the ball rolling for a few others to join them too. Couldn't see Hibs losing out massively financially unless we get the same number of ST holders who all buy at the lower price, so it would be a relatively low risk manoeuvre.

GreenCastle
10-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Any news with improving catering ? Still overpriced and rubbish? Complete daylight robbery! :rolleyes:

Have bought anything at ER for about 10 years.