PDA

View Full Version : NHC Yogi

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
I like the boy, but what is he playing at with ICT? Wonder how long it'll be before he comes favoured for the axe - to make a bad team good takes time but to take a good team and turn them into a team so poor you've got to ask questions.

Nowt to do with class or anything like that before anyone notices but what a mess he's making of them. Sad to see.

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2014, 12:31 PM
I like the boy, but what is he playing at with ICT? Wonder how long it'll be before he comes favoured for the axe - to make a bad team good takes time but to take a good team and turn them into a team so poor you've got to ask questions.

Nowt to do with class or anything like that before anyone notices but what a mess he's making of them. Sad to see.

I think ICT got that appointment wrong. I suspect seasoned pros. have little respect for his "all graft and no brains" approach. He can get away with the good ole boy approach with kids, but fitba folk will see through him right away.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Two defensive howlers and a penalty, what could he have done about it?

Mr White
09-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Suspect the dons could put a few past them next week too.

random sub
09-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I think ICT got that appointment wrong. I suspect seasoned pros. have little respect for his "all graft and no brains" approach. He can get away with the good ole boy approach with kids, but fitba folk will see through him right away.

Exactly this. I remember sitting behind the dug out when we played Marribor and Yogi was screaming all sorts of nonsense and I realised all that "gid laddie" motivational stuff was never gonna work. He's a good Hibby but he is dragging Inverness down-or is that his plan?:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-03-2014, 12:44 PM

You've got a point now! :-)

The Sea-gull
09-03-2014, 12:55 PM
He certainly seems to have overseen a few hammering and indifferent results since he went in. Was always going to be tough following butcher there but he still has a cup final to look forward to next week so deserves credit for getting them there and while it looks like a big Aberdeen win is on the cards ict could still win it.

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2014, 12:58 PM
He certainly seems to have overseen a few hammering and indifferent results since he went in. Was always going to be tough following butcher there but he still has a cup final to look forward to next week so deserves credit for getting them there and while it looks like a big Aberdeen win is on the cards ict could still win it.

He will give it a right good go anyway.

PeeJay
09-03-2014, 12:59 PM

So, that'll be an easy 3 points for us on Wednesday then??? :rolleyes:

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Didn't we all castigate Strugglin' Broon for saying something very similar?

IMo best for both parties for Yogi to move on if they lose next weekend.

Ronniekirk
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Have they been beaten by Dundee United today ? He has been up and down with Results but has done ok .But agree was a risky appointment and if they have been beaten today and we beat them midweek and they get Horsed by Sheep in Final next week it would take a lot to recover from that

ekhibee
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
ICT's defending in the first half against DU has made our defence yesterday look quite good!

Dashing Bob S
09-03-2014, 01:04 PM
A wonderful chap, but under stress he seems to revert to the old YLT philosophy that you are one of boys or a despised enemy.

In a dressing room I should imagine that might not get the best out of some players.

Betty Boop
09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Dashing Bob S;3926822]A wonderful chap, but under stress he seems to revert to the old YLT philosophy that you are one of boys or a despised enemy.

In a dressing room I should imagine that might not get the best out of some players.[/QUOTE

Chuckling !

Alex Trager
Hopefully we can get three points up there on wed

silverhibee
Omfg 0-5

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I went off Hughes after witnessing him make a fool of himself in an away game at St Johnstone.

Marched about the technical area, booted the dug out, screamed and shouted at everyone and anyone, started screaming about how we had no ball player in midfield (he picked the team so who's fault was that) and screamed at no one in particular to 'get ****ing somebody on' (can't remember the player but it was young untried laddie and again surely that is his decision).

He was an embarrassment and isn't cut out for management imo.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Maybe ICT really aren't that good enough and Butcher seen this coming and jumped ship before the downward slump kicked in. :duck: :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Butcher and Ferguson, both left when they realised their teams were soon to take the downward spiral, Moyes and Hughes (the fall guys) left to pick up the pieces and look bad. :greengrin

greenlex
09-03-2014, 01:21 PM
John Rankin strolled through that game and was subbed before the end. No standing ovation from Caley fans. WTF!!!!!

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 01:23 PM
John Rankin strolled through that game and was subbed before the end. No standing ovation from Caley fans. WTF!!!!!

At 0-5 down I guess they had all left :wink:

Weststandwanab
09-03-2014, 02:51 PM
I think ICT got that appointment wrong. I suspect seasoned pros. have little respect for his "all graft and no brains" approach. He can get away with the good ole boy approach with kids, but fitba folk will see through him right away. Any team that appoints Yogi as manager will get it wrong.

Hibercelona
09-03-2014, 02:57 PM
At 0-5 down I guess they had all left :wink:

All 50 of them?

Alfred E Newman
09-03-2014, 03:10 PM
If Yogi gets the boiler suit on they'll probably bounce back on Wednesday .

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 03:22 PM
I think we will beat them 3-1

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Must have ran out of magic dust. Hope he disnae get a fresh supply in before our game.

IWasThere2016
09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Said a wee while ago he won't see Christmas at ICT .. Maybe should've gone for Easter.

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Careful, the sarcasm police are on the prowl. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-03-2014, 05:18 PM
At least that was funny.

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2014, 05:23 PM
At least that was funny.

It was. :agree: :greengrin

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Some Caley fans beginning to question whether or not they should cut their losses with Yogi and get a new manager in. General concensus is 'not yet, but see what happens next week'.

jdships
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Seen better teams on Leith Links ( no disrespect to Leith Athletic et al ) .
Schoolboy defending and a general lack of "direction"
ICT were a good side last year by any standards !1

:rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
09-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Some Caley fans beginning to question whether or not they should cut their losses with Yogi and get a new manager in. General concensus is 'not yet, but see what happens next week'.

Just had a look at one of their fans' forums and someone's mentioned something that I didn't realise.

The only team they've beaten at home since Hughes was appointed at the beginning of December is Stranraer.

Their home record under Hughes is;

P-7
W-1
D-2
L-4
F-7
A-13

2 points from a possible 15 in the league.

Their last league win at home came on the 23rd November against St Johnstone.

I'm sure we'll be fine on Wednesday night! :whistle:

RickyS
09-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Just had a look at one of their fans' forums and someone's mentioned something that I didn't realise.

The only team they've beaten at home since Hughes was appointed at the beginning of December is Stranraer.

P-7
W-1
D-2
L-4
F-7
A-13

when a teams on a bad run i always dread playing them

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 08:45 PM

P-7
W-1
D-2
L-4
F-7
A-13

Bad performances at home?

According to a few on here that must be their fans fault.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Seen better teams on Leith Links ( no disrespect to Leith Athletic et al ) .
Schoolboy defending and a general lack of "direction"
ICT were a good side last year by any standards !1

:rolleyes:

All ICT need just now is an Ed De Graff figure and a handful of Falkirk players and they will be fine.

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Bad performances at home?

According to a few on here that must be their fans fault.

Aye, because if a team has the same problem it's always the same cause.

Away and come back with a better cheap shot than that. :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Aye, because if a team has the same problem it's always the same cause.

Away and come back with a better cheap shot than that. :rolleyes:

Wasn't meant as a cheap shot, was meant as a joke but admittedly it was a poor one.

I get as fed up with some of the muppets that sit near me who only seem to go to games to shout abuse as anyone does.

Although I don't actually think the fans are that big a part of our poor home form, a small part definitely but there are far bigger reasons.

Hibernia&Alba
09-03-2014, 09:04 PM
You just know it won't have a happy ending. Yogi always makes me think of the enthusiastic amateur who is all heart but totally lacking in the requirements of being a successful professional football manager. It's like giving my dad the Hibs job.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Well something has gotta give when we pitch up midweek. Our record up there is horrendously pish. As is there current home record. If they could pick a team to play in their next home game, it would probably be us in all honesty.
Hopefully Butcher can use his experience up there to our advantage.

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Wasn't meant as a cheap shot, was meant as a joke but admittedly it was a poor one.

I get as fed up with some of the muppets that sit near me who only seem to go to games to shout abuse as anyone does.

Although I don't actually think the fans are that big a part of our poor home form, a small part definitely but there are far bigger reasons.

Fair play, sorry mate :aok:

RIP Bestie
10-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Was clueless here although did sign a couple of good players in Miller and Stokes. In my opinion any success at Falkirk was off the back of Coyle. Yogi will never be a good football manager as long as I've a hole in my a*se

bigwheel
10-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Was clueless here although did sign a couple of good players in Miller and Stokes. In my opinion any success at Falkirk was off the back of Coyle. Yogi will never be a good football manager as long as I've a hole in my a*se

So let me get this right...Yogi's success at Falkirk over a 6 year period (2003-2009) , were down to part of a season in 2003 when he worked with Coyle?? It's one thing to not rate him but that is a ridiculous statement ...

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 02:22 PM
So let me get this right...Yogi's success at Falkirk over a 6 year period (2003-2009) , were down to part of a season in 2003 when he worked with Coyle?? It's one thing to not rate him but that is a ridiculous statement ...

:agree:

Who was it that got Hibs a 4th place finish?

Onion
10-03-2014, 02:31 PM

ICT have been punching well beyond their weight for some time, under TB. Their fans need to get real about the sustainability of this outperformance and just enjoy it while it lasts. IMHO Yogi was the wrong appointment, but whoever took over from TB was up against it. Changing their manager now will not stem the slide.

Elephant Stone
10-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Who was it that got Hibs a 4th place finish?

He also had a worse record than Fenlon, who you seem to slate pretty heavily, despite inheriting a far superior squad.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 02:40 PM
He also had a worse record than Fenlon, who you seem to slate pretty heavily, despite inheriting a far superior squad.

I must have missed that 4th place finish under Fenlon?:confused:

Elephant Stone
10-03-2014, 02:44 PM
I must have missed that 4th place finish under Fenlon?:confused:

Their win percentages are pretty much identical, both around 35%, Fenlon's is slightly higher. I just think it's pretty strange that you can slate Fenlon so heavily yet stick up for Hughes despite their almost identical records but where Hughes had a much, much better team.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Their win percentages are pretty much identical, both around 35%, Fenlon's is slightly higher. I just think it's pretty strange that you can slate Fenlon so heavily yet stick up for Hughes despite their almost identical records but where Hughes had a much, much better team.

He brought Stokes and Miller to the club, and in his one full season he gave us a 4th place finish. We were on a downward spiral when he left, under fenlon we were sheite almost every week.

Fenlon brought over 30 players to the club, and we are no better now than when he first arrived. At least under Hughes for some of the time we had a team worth watching, and a good finishing place in the league.

Perhaps you enjoy bottom 6 football?

IWasThere2016
10-03-2014, 02:56 PM

What were his successes in this time at Falkirk?

Elephant Stone
10-03-2014, 03:03 PM
He brought Stokes and Miller to the club, and in his one full season he gave us a 4th place finish. We were on a downward spiral when he left, under fenlon we were sheite almost every week.

Fenlon brought over 30 players to the club, and we are no better now than when he first arrived. At least under Hughes for some of the time we had a team worth watching, and a good finishing place in the league.

Perhaps you enjoy bottom 6 football?

You're damn right we were on a downward spiral when he left, we barely won a match the whole year.

We are no better now than when Fenlon arrived? Well that's just not true, whether you think it is or not, it's just not. We were winning 25% of games under Calderwood and we won 35% under Fenlon, we're winning round about the same now under Butcher. So we are better now.

You must really hold 4th place in high regard if you can slate Fenlon but talk up Hughes on the basis he finished 4th when their records are otherwise identical, especially considering the respective teams they both inherited.

silverhibee
10-03-2014, 03:09 PM

There was excitement under Yogi at times, under Fenlon it was soul destroying boring football all the time, if it wasn't for Griffiths last season there would have been a good chance of us being relegated.

Fenlon & Calderwood are the two who have left us in such a mess, Calderwood should have gone after the photos of him meeting McClaren in the hotel and Fenlon should have gone after the first final he was in charge of.

Thecat23
10-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Yogi is a shocking manager. His man management is terrible and he has no idea about how to set up a side. Watching Hibs under Hughes was a bomb scare at times. He brought in Stokes about the only good thing he did. Folk forget we still used to be outplayed In many games when udder Yogi.

How he got fourth I'll never know. We all have our opinions on managers but he is one I hope never returns as I think he's rotten. Just like CC and just like Fenlon.

IWasThere2016
10-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Yogi is a shocking manager. His man management is terrible and he has no idea about how to set up a side. Watching Hibs under Hughes was a bomb scare at times. He brought in Stokes about the only good thing he did. Folk forget we still used to be outplayed In many games when udder Yogi.

How he got fourth I'll never know. We all have our opinions on managers but he is one I hope never returns as I think he's rotten. Just like CC and just like Fenlon.

Which begs the question why RP is still here .. hey ho!

Elephant Stone
10-03-2014, 03:19 PM
There was excitement under Yogi at times, under Fenlon it was soul destroying boring football all the time, if it wasn't for Griffiths last season there would have been a good chance of us being relegated.

Fenlon & Calderwood are the two who have left us in such a mess, Calderwood should have gone after the photos of him meeting McClaren in the hotel and Fenlon should have gone after the first final he was in charge of.

If you look at the team Yogi inherited and compare it to the team Fenlon inherited then I think you can see where any difference in excitement came from, if there was any. I didn't find Hughes' time here exciting at all, the 1-1 at Ibrox where Stokes scored goal of the season was good but the rest was gash, I definitely didn't enjoy those cup runs..

Thecat23
10-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Which begs the question why RP is still here .. hey ho!

Can't argue with that.

JimBHibees
10-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Got them to the Scottish cup final and totally outplayed Rangers and very unlucky to lose.

bigwheel
10-03-2014, 04:12 PM

How about taking them to the SPL in 2005 and keeping them there...culminating with a Scottish Cup Final in 2009??

No one else has done it with them since??

rcarter1
10-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Agree totally with the comment and the sentiment. Stokes, and what appeared to be a considerable amount of early season fortune got us 4th. For about 5 years, including the times under Yogi, we have not been a footballing side of any ability. Stokes, OConnor, and Griffiths have been able to prevent poor/dire footballing sides from going completely under. Our current crop have no such talisman, and we look like the bottom six outfit that we are. On the bright side, I have every confidence that Butcher and Co will overhaul the team in the summer.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 04:39 PM
You're damn right we were on a downward spiral when he left, we barely won a match the whole year.

We are no better now than when Fenlon arrived? Well that's just not true, whether you think it is or not, it's just not. We were winning 25% of games under Calderwood and we won 35% under Fenlon, we're winning round about the same now under Butcher. So we are better now.

You must really hold 4th place in high regard if you can slate Fenlon but talk up Hughes on the basis he finished 4th when their records are otherwise identical, especially considering the respective teams they both inherited.

Middle of February to September i think was our downward slide, with around 3 months when we did not play a game. As SH said, at least we had some entertainment and he actually achieved something with the club.

I know 4th place is not earth shattering success, but its a lot better than anything we have seen since by the clowns Petrie has put in charge.

MWHIBBIES
10-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Awful manager, 4th place finish or not we were shocking for a majority of his tenure

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Awful manager, 4th place finish or not we were shocking for a majority of his tenure

Yip that's right, sitting 2nd and playing some good stuff, with a defence that was up with the best records in Britain by February.

Why is it the good times are ignored, even when they are staring you in the face and in the record books?

I wonder just how a shocking manager can take a first division club to a Scottish cup final, get that same club into and established in the SPL, then another club a 4th place finish.

This management lark is easy eh. :wink:

Bostonhibby
10-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Yip that's right, sitting 2nd and playing some good stuff, with a defence that was up with the best records in Britain by February.

Why is it the good times are ignored, even when they are staring you in the face and in the record books?

I wonder just how a shocking manager can take a first division club to a Scottish cup final, get that same club into and established in the SPL, then another club a 4th place finish.

This management lark is easy eh. :wink:

Am with you BH. But maybe that's when Yogi "peaked" as its been generally downward for him since and he has looked a wee bit out his depth latterly? - ICT seemed difficult to get wrong but he is doing a fair job of it :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Am with you BH. But maybe that's when Yogi "peaked" as its been generally downward for him since and he has looked a wee bit out his depth latterly? - ICT seemed difficult to get wrong but he is doing a fair job of it :dunno:

I personally dont think he's a great manager, but he had some very good days as a Hibs manager and a lot more at Falkirk. He's obviously a bit of a maniac who cant control himself at times, but he has had some very good days as a manager, but some people want them erased and concentrate on the bad ones instead.

Oh for a manager that gets a Hibs side that far up the table we have to worry about losing that European spot.

MWHIBBIES
10-03-2014, 05:04 PM

This management lark is easy eh. :wink:We rarely played good stuff under Hughes, don't let a scraped 4th place finish fool you, we are absolutely awful for most of that season. We won 3 of our last 19 games including getting hammered by St Johnston and Hamilton

Second line is very hypocritical considering all the negative pish you post.

ballengeich
10-03-2014, 05:09 PM
He got off to a good start with us, but my impression was that he didn't have an plan B once opponents worked out how to counter the team he put out. Add to that his second season signings, who all seemed to be brought in on the basis of their form five years earlier, and his overall record is difficult to defend.

Bostonhibby
10-03-2014, 05:13 PM
I personally dont think he's a great manager, but he had some very good days as a Hibs manager and a lot more at Falkirk. He's obviously a bit of a maniac who cant control himself at times, but he has had some very good days as a manager, but some people want them erased and concentrate on the bad ones instead.

Oh for a manager that gets a Hibs side that far up the table we have to worry about losing that European spot.

:agree: Aside from JC winning the cup with Mowbrays team there have been very few highs like those Yogi created - been a while since we had as good a captain as him as well, as a manager I agree the football was better than under any of the recent mob to have managed us and his achievements were too - still baffled how Fenlon got us to 2 finals but the teams were beat before they walked onto the pitch in both.

ancient hibee
10-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Hughes is the wrong manager for the present ICT.Butcher's idea was to get the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible to a couple of good finishers who because they had plenty of chances would convert a couple pretty regularly.Hughes likes a methodical build up through the midfield which means the opposing defences have more time.Hence McKay has hardly scored a goal since Hughes arrived.This reflects badly on Hughes because although he wants to play football in the correct manner he is turning strengths into weaknesses.

Billy Whizz
10-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Hughes is the wrong manager for the present ICT.Butcher's idea was to get the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible to a couple of good finishers who because they had plenty of chances would convert a couple pretty regularly.Hughes likes a methodical build up through the midfield which means the opposing defences have more time.Hence McKay has hardly scored a goal since Hughes arrived.This reflects badly on Hughes because although he wants to play football in the correct manner he is turning strengths into weaknesses.

Funny, I heard this theory too yesterday. What I heard was Yogi went into Inverness and tried to get them to play football from the back. As it wasn't working they decided to go back to "hoofball" and then got a few decent results.

I still thank him for one of my best football days this season at ER against Hearts in the penalty shoot out with the 9 men

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2014, 05:50 PM
We rarely played good stuff under Hughes, don't let a scraped 4th place finish fool you, we are absolutely awful for most of that season. We won 3 of our last 19 games including getting hammered by St Johnston and Hamilton

Second line is very hypocritical considering all the negative pish you post.

Rubbish, and remind me again just how many games we played ANY good stuff under Fenlon?

truehibernian
10-03-2014, 06:06 PM
My problem with Hughes was his manner and his lack of ability in reading a game and changing things. His signings were truly awful too - Grounds, Dickoh, De Graaf, Duffy, Trakys, 'the (infamous) goalkeeping school) - jeez even now I'm getting shivers.

A few things annoyed me in his tenure. Away to Maribor keeping our two top strikers benched, fights in dressing rooms at Parkhead and Dingwall, hiding in his dug out at McDiarmid when Hibs brought a huge travelling support without even an acknowledgment, and his lack of ambition in winning derbies. Stokes, Liam Miller and for a part of the season (before injury) McBride were excellent. However his handling of Benji annoyed me (as did Benji) - I honestly think we lost an absolute star there if he'd been coached and managed with more care. Didn't handle Sol well either, like Benji, Sol had his part to play in the fall out too. I don't think he's a good manager and I don't think he's a good man manager.

ICT record under him so far is no surprise to me. Doesn't matter if he's a Hibs man, he's not a good manager.

Thecat23
10-03-2014, 06:19 PM
As much as I hated Pat Fenlon's football. If he was 6-2 up in a game and draw 6-6 this place would have exploded! Hughes suited Falkirk as it was full of kids who were **** scared of the guy.

He is NEVER an SPFL manager. Never will be in my eyes and mark my words Yogi will be looking for a new job shortly.

Also please don't give me "he's a hibs guy though" couldn't care less. The man screams like a lunatic during training and games at players he doesn't favour. Some may find this hard to believe right enough but that's totally up to them. We all have our views and i won't be changing my mind anytime soon.

silverhibee
10-03-2014, 06:38 PM
My problem with Hughes was his manner and his lack of ability in reading a game and changing things. His signings were truly awful too - Grounds, Dickoh, De Graaf, Duffy, Trakys, 'the (infamous) goalkeeping school) - jeez even now I'm getting shivers.

A few things annoyed me in his tenure. Away to Maribor keeping our two top strikers benched, fights in dressing rooms at Parkhead and Dingwall, hiding in his dug out at McDiarmid when Hibs brought a huge travelling support without even an acknowledgment, and his lack of ambition in winning derbies. Stokes, Liam Miller and for a part of the season (before injury) McBride were excellent. However his handling of Benji annoyed me (as did Benji) - I honestly think we lost an absolute star there if he'd been coached and managed with more care. Didn't handle Sol well either, like Benji, Sol had his part to play in the fall out too. I don't think he's a good manager and I don't think he's a good man manager.

ICT record under him so far is no surprise to me. Doesn't matter if he's a Hibs man, he's not a good manager.

YLT :greengrin

truehibernian
10-03-2014, 06:39 PM
YLT :greengrin

Ya Bas !!

stantonhibby
10-03-2014, 07:10 PM
As much as I hated Pat Fenlon's football. If he was 6-2 up in a game and draw 6-6 this place would have exploded! Hughes suited Falkirk as it was full of kids who were **** scared of the guy.

He is NEVER an SPFL manager. Never will be in my eyes and mark my words Yogi will be looking for a new job shortly.

Also please don't give me "he's a hibs guy though" couldn't care less. The man screams like a lunatic during training and games at players he doesn't favour. Some may find this hard to believe right enough but that's totally up to them. We all have our views and i won't be changing my mind anytime soon.

Not to forget being ahead 3 times in the QF Cup tie against Ross Co and not going through and of course the genius of the 'goalkeeping school'. A Falkirk fan warned me that he had no plan B if we weren't allowed to build from the back and it was the genius of Latapy who made the difference there. Of course a 4th place is an achievement considering what we have had since however my recollection is some horrific performances from about Oct onwards culminating in the 6-6 disgrace. I think we had our worst home run ever under him as well? (albeit that record may have been beaten since!)

RIP Bestie
10-03-2014, 10:39 PM
You know something, you're dead right. I don't know why i even bothered getting involved in a thread about that numpty. But I would doubt he had a lot of success over six years

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Rubbish, and remind me again just how many games we played ANY good stuff under Fenlon?Okay

4-0 win at Motherwell
4-2 away win at Kilmarnock
3-1 away win at Kilmarnock
2-1 away win at St Mirren
2-1 away win against Hearts
1-0 Home win against Celtic
3-0 Home win against Dundee
2-2 Draw away vs Dundee United
2-2 Home draw with Inverness
2-0 home win vs Kilmarnock
2-1 Home win vs St Mirren
2-1 Home win vs Dundee United
4-3 Semi final win agaist Falkirk
2-1 Semi final win vs Aberdeen
2-1 away win vs St Johnstone
2-2 home draw vs ICT

Just off the top of my head all games we played well in for at least 45 minutes during Fenlons tenure.

Ronniekirk
11-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Not to forget being ahead 3 times in the QF Cup tie against Ross Co and not going through and of course the genius of the 'goalkeeping school'. A Falkirk fan warned me that he had no plan B if we weren't allowed to build from the back and it was the genius of Latapy who made the difference there. Of course a 4th place is an achievement considering what we have had since however my recollection is some horrific performances from about Oct onwards culminating in the 6-6 disgrace. I think we had our worst home run ever under him as well? (albeit that record may have been beaten since!)
Don't think we ever recovered from the goalkeeping school and all it's non extinguished graduates. Nae wonder the press highlighted all our mistakes ,we were the laughing stock of others for a long time with some of the Howlers keepers let in .

The Sea-gull
11-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Okay

4-0 win at Motherwell
2-2 home draw vs ICT

Just off the top of my head all games we played well in for at least 45 minutes during Fenlons tenure.

Football is a 90 minute game though and imagine how many better results we could have got had Pat's teams played well for the 90 more often.

I struggle to think of games under Fenlon where we played well and dominanted a whole match. Even that 4-0 away win at Motherwell was the most even 4-0 I have ever seen. Have to say though we were excellent at times in the first half of the 2-2 draw v ICT you mention from Sep 2012 and at times in the cup games v Killie and Falkirk. Falkirk game was a very strange game though and half time in that game was probably as angry as I have ever felt at a football match.

Anyway, my apologies. I realise this is a Yogi bashing thread not a Fenlon bashing one! Funny how out of all of our bad managers in recent years, Calderwood never gets mentioned much. All of the others have at least a few people who will defend them at times but it seems CC really is indefinsible and it is universally agreed that he was p$sh.

renato
11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
The 6-6 was the clincher for me, a disgraceful end to a game from a "professional" team, baffling subs and shocking tactics / awareness to close that game out. To top it all off his big grin after the final whistle....still gets me angry!

Pre Fenlon, for me that was probably the most embarrassing result I'd experienced in 20 years watching us.

I actually enjoyed his football up until oldco made it 1-1, after stokes' brilliant strike early on. That 1-4 was the turning point and he / we never properly recovered after that, despite a short period of positive results in between the utter garbage we had to suffer. We should really have wrapped up 3rd by March that season and been a lot closer to the uglies, if we hadn't completely collapsed.

jacomo
11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
The 6-6 was the clincher for me, a disgraceful end to a game from a "professional" team, baffling subs and shocking tactics / awareness to close that game out. To top it all off his big grin after the final whistle....still gets me angry!

Pre Fenlon, for me that was probably the most embarrassing result I'd experienced in 20 years watching us.

I actually enjoyed his football up until oldco made it 1-1, after stokes' brilliant strike early on. That 1-4 was the turning point and he / we never properly recovered after that, despite a short period of positive results in between the utter garbage we had to suffer. We should really have wrapped up 3rd by March that season and been a lot closer to the uglies, if we hadn't completely collapsed.

A late season collapse is not, unfortunately, unknown at Hibs, under Yogi or other managers. But he did seem to become incoherent and, at times, unpleasant then. Mourinho gets away with mocking his own players in public, but only because he's an exceptional manager. Yogi is not.

J-C
11-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Some of the stories I heard about behind the scenes goings on were cringeworthy to say the least, as much as I like Yogi for being a true Hibby, his management skills were abysmal to say the least and disharmony was a cert to happen under him.

ehf
11-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't worry about Yogi: he has the prospect of that reliable, all-purpose cure for struggling teams - a fixture against Hibs tomorrow.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Okay

4-0 win at Motherwell
2-2 home draw vs ICT

And you say the we rarely played any good stuff under Hughes, but in all those games you mention, an all the great performances that you say, we never even made the top 6, and actually finished 11th.

My apologies, i bow to the great man Pat Fenlon, the footballing guru who gave us all SO MANY good times.

Do you think if we'd just been a little more patient, he too could have given us a team that finished 4th?

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2014, 01:49 PM
And you say the we rarely played any good stuff under Hughes, but in all those games you mention, an all the great performances that you say, we never even made the top 6, and actually finished 11th.

My apologies, i bow to the great man Pat Fenlon, the footballing guru who gave us all SO MANY good times.

Do you think if we'd just been a little more patient, he too could have given us a team that finished 4th?I didn't say anything about them all being great performances, you asked what games we played ANY good stuff in under Fenlon, that is the games I listed.

I also said nothing about Fenlon giving us so many good times, does making stuff up online make you feel good?

J-C
11-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I didn't say anything about them all being great performances, you asked what games we played ANY good stuff in under Fenlon, that is the games I listed.

I also said nothing about Fenlon giving us so many good times, does making stuff up online make you feel good?

Big difference to winning games and winning games playing good stuff, my recollection of Fenlon was eye bleeding football with little skill and even less tactical nous.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I didn't say anything about them all being great performances, you asked what games we played ANY good stuff in under Fenlon, that is the games I listed.

Thats right, you just said ( We rarely played good stuff under Hughes, don't let a scraped 4th place finish fool you,)

Well all those fantastic games you witnessed under Fenlon gave us an 11 place finish, what a great time you must have had watching Barcelona type football during that time, i'm genuinely jealous i missed most of them, and had to witness the rare good games that gave us 4th place.

brian6-2
11-03-2014, 03:37 PM

where do you get this hairbrained information?

for what its worth, i wasnt his biggest fan, but coming away with crap like that making out your "in the know" is out of order.

The Sea-gull
11-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Big difference to winning games and winning games playing good stuff, my recollection of Fenlon was eye bleeding football with little skill and even less tactical nous.

Trouble with Hughes was we went from winning games and playing good stuff to suddenly losing games and playing terrible stuff.

Trouble with Fenlon was we didn't even get winning games and playing good stuff part for any significant length of time. It was largely just losing games and playing guff football.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Trouble with Hughes was we went from winning games and playing good stuff to suddenly losing games and playing terrible stuff.

Trouble with Fenlon was we didn't even get winning games and playing good stuff part for any significant length of time. It was largely just losing games and playing guff football.

ehf
11-03-2014, 04:06 PM

And any good results/exciting football were almost exclusively attributable to one man (clue: not Fenlon).

Kato
11-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I can't remember many great games under Yogi.

We had some good players who carried through games despite his tactics, zero width, zero plan b, too heavily reliant on Stokes.

I remember Gordon Hunter hitting the nail on the head when he said ni the EEN that something was missing from the performances and we never really looked on top of games despite winning.

Once other managers learned all they had to do was cut supply through the middle that was that, sheer awfulness.

There's the story that he approached two senior players at half time after Stokes went off injured with, "What are we going to do now".

If you remember his stay at Falkirk they looked great with Latapy on the park and eye-bleedingly rubbish without him.

The right appointment at that time would have seen us kick on and bring in the youngsters but he was never the right appointment.

Thecat23
11-03-2014, 04:13 PM
where do you get this hairbrained information?

for what its worth, i wasnt his biggest fan, but coming away with crap like that making out your "in the know" is out of order.

Listen Brian I wouldn't post if it's crap as I'd look a fool. The only fool here seems to be you. I'm not asking you to believe this but since I've known a few players that's played under him and all told me the same how he's great at going daft and has no plan B. I've nothing against him as a guy. He's just a ***** manager.

Now do me a favour pal, hit ignore for any future posts of mine and stop throwing insults ok!!! Bye now.

Brizo
11-03-2014, 05:14 PM
On the pitch Yogi wanted his teams to play in a certain way. He persisted with that regardless of player form and availability. Comparisons with PF are interesting as imo PF was too pragmatic while Yogi wasn't pragmatic enough.

On the touchline he was embarrassing. He talked all the modern manager motivational sports psychology stuff but in the technical area he was like some radge up the Jack Kane sunday amateur manager.

Off the pitch despite his hard man image he failed to deal with unprofessional problem behaviour from certain players which created dressing room divisions.

He gave us a 4th place European spot and that cant be dismissed given our recent history. And end of season form collapses aren't specific to Yogi.

Yogis not the worst manager weve had in recent years but neither is he as good as he thinks he is. He was extremely lucky he got the iCT job, a victory for Yogis self promotion over substance imo. If he gets the tintack from them no amount of self promoting and help from his media buddies will get him back into the game at any decent level.

Thecat23
11-03-2014, 06:18 PM
On the pitch Yogi wanted his teams to play in a certain way. He persisted with that regardless of player form and availability. Comparisons with PF are interesting as imo PF was too pragmatic while Yogi wasn't pragmatic enough.

On the touchline he was embarrassing. He talked all the modern manager motivational sports psychology stuff but in the technical area he was like some radge up the Jack Kane sunday amateur manager.

Off the pitch despite his hard man image he failed to deal with unprofessional problem behaviour from certain players which created dressing room divisions.

He gave us a 4th place European spot and that cant be dismissed given our recent history. And end of season form collapses aren't specific to Yogi.

Yogis not the worst manager weve had in recent years but neither is he as good as he thinks he is. He was extremely lucky he got the iCT job, a victory for Yogis self promotion over substance imo. If he gets the tintack from them no amount of self promoting and help from his media buddies will get him back into the game at any decent level.

Can't argue with any of this mate!

Phil D. Rolls
11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
He said on Saturday it wasn't fair they had a league game building up to the final. Now he says its a good thing, hopes the players are still hurting, rolling up the sleeves, heads below the parapet, working class hero, etc.

It's stuff like that which makes him seem stupider than he probably is. More importantly, if that was your boss what would you be thinking?

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Thats right, you just said ( We rarely played good stuff under Hughes, don't let a scraped 4th place finish fool you,)

Well all those fantastic games you witnessed under Fenlon gave us an 11 place finish, what a great time you must have had watching Barcelona type football during that time, i'm genuinely jealous i missed most of them, and had to witness the rare good games that gave us 4th place.You are judging Fenlon on his half season and Yogi on his full season? If I do the same thing with Hughes we were what 10th? When he was rightfully punted.

Fenlon gave us a 7th place finish with Griffiths and Claros, the Scottish cup final and two wins over Hearts and one over Celtic

Yogi managed 4th with Bamba, Stokes, Riordan, Zemmama, Benji, Miller and Murry, was knocked out of the cup by Ross County (division 1 at the time), didn't beat Hearts during his tenure and beat Celtic once.

Obviously 7th isn't great but after taking over the mess left by Calderwood and Hughes it was good enough. When things weren't going well the next season Pat stood down (rightfully so).

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2014, 07:34 PM
You are judging Fenlon on his half season and Yogi on his full season? If I do the same thing with Hughes we were what 10th? When he was rightfully punted.

No i'm not, im judging both on their full terms? :confused:

Fenlon gave us a 7th place finish with Griffiths and Claros, the Scottish cup final and two wins over Hearts and one over Celtic

2 right good pumpings will NEVER be accepted by me as ANY KIND OFF SUCCESS.

Yogi managed 4th with Bamba, Stokes, Riordan, Zemmama, Benji, Miller and Murry, was knocked out of the cup by Ross County (division 1 at the time), didn't beat Hearts during his tenure and beat Celtic once.

Queen of the south cough cough, not really sure beating hearts and celtic but finishing 11th and 7th is doing your argument much, but hey ho. And wee Pat was allowed to sign 30 players, which one will we sell for £1m?

Obviously 7th isn't great but after taking over the mess left by Calderwood and Hughes it was good enough. When things weren't going well the next season Pat stood down (rightfully so).

When Calderclown took over we were 8th, Fenlon was given 4 transfer window, signed 30 players and took us to the heady heights we are today, with a team nobody wants to watch. Thanks Pat.

Northernhibee
11-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Some people want to blame everything on Pat Fenlon. Sad really, there's much more to life than that.

gillythehibby
11-03-2014, 09:23 PM
You are judging Fenlon on his half season and Yogi on his full season? If I do the same thing with Hughes we were what 10th? When he was rightfully punted.

I agree with this. I think Pat sorted out a lot of back room stuff if Petrie is to be believed. All in all, we are talking about managers who are pretty much the same and that isn't going to change under the current board. You get what you pay for really and that goes for the quality of players as well. It's a sad day mind when some guys on here can actually list the amount of times we've played well !!!

MWHIBBIES
11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
When Calderclown took over we were 8th, Fenlon was given 4 transfer window, signed 30 players and took us to the heady heights we are today, with a team nobody wants to watch. Thanks Pat.
Yeah, you're right, I'd much prefered to have been knocked out by a first division team in the quarters than win 2 Scottish cup semi finals. Getting to 2 Scottish cup finals is an achievement irrelevant to the score in the final IMO, 1 bad game doesn't make the Aberdeen, Killie or Falkirk games any less amazing, those were great days and I enjoyed each of them.

I still want to watch our current team, its called being a Hibs supporter. You really should stop using Pat as a scapegoat because you don't want to watch a Hibs team unless they are winning and playing amazing football, its a bit pathetic IMO.

I really don't understand who on earth would want to manage Hibs right now when nothing positive that a manager does is recognized unless its 3rd place and a cup win, reality check needed, Pat done okay with what he had and the mess our previous two ''managers'' left us in. Yogi done well, really well, in his first 6 months but utterly fell to bits after that and, as shown by his record since then, is a pretty poor manager.

RIP Bestie
11-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Yeah, you're right, I'd much prefered to have been knocked out by a first division team in the quarters than win 2 Scottish cup semi finals. Getting to 2 Scottish cup finals is an achievement irrelevant to the score in the final IMO, 1 bad game doesn't make the Aberdeen, Killie or Falkirk games any less amazing, those were great days and I enjoyed each of them.

I still want to watch our current team, its called being a Hibs supporter. You really should stop using Pat as a scapegoat because you don't want to watch a Hibs team unless they are winning and playing amazing football, its a bit pathetic IMO.

I really don't understand who on earth would want to manage Hibs right now when nothing positive that a manager does is recognized unless its 3rd place and a cup win, reality check needed, Pat done okay with what he had and the mess our previous two ''managers'' left us in. Yogi done well, really well, in his first 6 months but utterly fell to bits after that and, as shown by his record since then, is a pretty poor manager.
A bit narrow minded in my opinion. Have a look at the crowds. The fact is that people don't want to watch us.

MWHIBBIES
12-03-2014, 01:41 AM
A bit narrow minded in my opinion. Have a look at the crowds. The fact is that people don't want to watch us.I can understand people not wanting to go, that is up to them though, not Pat Fenlon

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 01:46 AM
I can understand people not wanting to go, that is up to them though, not Pat Fenlon
Fenlon has played a part in turning people away.

Thecat23
12-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Fenlon has played a part in turning people away.

This is true. The football played under Pat made many fans lose interest. I hope these fans come back next season once Butcher has signed his own players and puts his mark on the team. That way we can put the past to rest and focus on the future which I think will be a lot better under this management team than any others in recent years.

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 10:27 AM
This is true. The football played under Pat made many fans lose interest. I hope these fans come back next season once Butcher has signed his own players and puts his mark on the team. That way we can put the past to rest and focus on the future which I think will be a lot better under this management team than any others in recent years.
I'm not sure I share your optimism but I really do hope you're right.

Thecat23
12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure I share your optimism but I really do hope you're right.

Looking back over all the posts I do see where you are coming from and why you aren't so sure. It's been shocking for far to long now and it will take something special to get the fans back. Like I say I'm more confident under TB than any of the others but that doesn't mean jack **** if we can't get the players in to do the job. Fingers crossed this board is a happier place next season.

stevejordan
12-03-2014, 10:38 AM

From all accounts Pat was a very hard working man a 1st in last out kinda guy and he was a very nice man he got full backing and support from the club and was given the resources to sign players lots off them.
Unfortunatly he signed the wrong players who weere just not good enough Terry needs the same backing and resources to show what can be achieved.

Bristolhibby
12-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I can't remember many great games under Yogi.

We had some good players who carried through games despite his tactics, zero width, zero plan b, too heavily reliant on Stokes.

I remember Gordon Hunter hitting the nail on the head when he said ni the EEN that something was missing from the performances and we never really looked on top of games despite winning.

Once other managers learned all they had to do was cut supply through the middle that was that, sheer awfulness.

There's the story that he approached two senior players at half time after Stokes went off injured with, "What are we going to do now".

If you remember his stay at Falkirk they looked great with Latapy on the park and eye-bleedingly rubbish without him.

The right appointment at that time would have seen us kick on and bring in the youngsters but he was never the right appointment.

Vaguely remember that game on the Telly against Falkirk or Dundee Utd, Bamba scored.

Thought we were good that day.

J

ehf
12-03-2014, 12:39 PM

I'm no apologist for Fenlon but I do think he suffered from something of a "cumulative downward spiral" effect in coming in after the shambles of Yogi's latter days, then Coco the Clown and still not really managing to improve things. By that stage, after 5 years of dross, some folk simply had enough and walked away (to return for the two cup finals, of course).

Twa Cairpets
12-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Bang on

I've posted this on Yogi threads before - my only up-close exposure was standing immediately behind the Junior-ground style dugouts at the pre-season game in Holland v NEC Nijmegen. The Dutch guys i was beside could to believe Yogi's antics, and it was genuinely cringeworthy. Tactical advice consisted solely of screaming variants of "what the f*** re you doing ya useless c***" at his players, before turning and berating whoever it was had the temerity to misplace a pass to the subs bench, who just sat looking slightly stunned. There was not a hint of a let up in his stream of abuse for the entire half. Simply awful stuff.

Someone said he's like some radge at the Jack Kane. I don't think there's many amateur players who would put up with the kind of utter p!sh I watched him spout.
Might be a good guy/Hibby/whatever, but he aint no football manager.

Hiber-nation
12-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Someone said he's like some radge at the Jack Kane. I don't think there's many amateur players who would put up with the kind of utter p!sh I watched him spout.

That "Jack Kane" comparison makes me laugh and I totally agree, the last radge Sunday league manager I saw in that vein (well at the Gyle rather than the Jack Kane) got nutted by the player who was getting all the unwarranted dogs abuse.

FitbaFolkKen
12-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Your hate of Pat Fenlon is ridiculous, it overrides any reasonable points you may make as you taint them with digs at Fenlon and any posters who happen to have a differing opinion.

You complain about watching Fenlons teams then state a couple of posts back that you missed most of the games. Let it go.....

ManBearPig
12-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Your hate of Pat Fenlon is ridiculous, it overrides any reasonable points you may make as you taint them with digs at Fenlon and any posters who happen to have a differing opinion.

You complain about watching Fenlons teams then state a couple of posts back that you missed most of the games. Let it go.....

well said. the fenlon bashing should be brought down a peg or two by some on here.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2014, 06:38 PM

:faf: Not missed as never saw, was not there, missed as in did not see much decent stuff bar the odd half decent game.

Fenlons tenure was in whole turgid from start to finish, whereas i enjoyed part of Hughes time in charge. Cant put it any clearer than that, and would kill for a mn in charge who'd take us into the top 6 and a 4th place finish.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2014, 10:17 PM
How the hell can a Hibs team managed by Terry Butcher not beat an ICT team managed by that turnip? :wink:

MWHIBBIES
12-03-2014, 10:22 PM
How the hell can a Hibs team managed by Terry Butcher not beat an ICT team managed by that turnip? :wink:How can an ICT team managed by a manager who has given many teams many good times not beat Hibs?

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2014, 10:23 PM
How can an ICT team managed by a manager who has given many teams many good times not beat Hibs?

Humour bypass alert.

Iggy Pope
12-03-2014, 10:29 PM
How the hell can a Hibs team managed by Terry Butcher not beat an ICT team managed by that turnip? :wink:

How can an ICT team managed by a manager who has given many teams many good times not beat Hibs?

Humour bypass alert.

Think you've cancelled each other out with the rapier wit and sardonic overview.

SouthamptonHibs
12-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Pat Fenlon is the reason why we are pish this year....disgrace of a manager. Don't understand the love in for that man

jacomo
12-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Pat Fenlon is the reason why we are pish this year....disgrace of a manager. Don't understand the love in for that man

This post is amusing following those above laying into Fenlon. FWIW I think there is a broad consensus amongst Hibs fans which demonstrates our collective good sense:

1. Yogi is a Hibby and there was a romantic dream that he would be The Man... unfortunately his team's form fell off a cliff and the job looked to be too much for him.

2. Pat is an honourable man (never a disgrace) who acted with dignity and did some good things - most notably, having a very positive influence on one Leigh Griffiths. But his football was too dull and ultimately the job seemed too big for him.

3. Butcher and his gang have decent credentials but after a brief honeymoon period it's been another season to forget so far. Is he up to it?

Lots to discuss and argue about. But cheap jibes at former managers (unless we're talking about Calderwood) and false divisions aren't necessary.

Hero76
12-03-2014, 10:43 PM
5 years TB had at ICT I hope he gets the same chance here.

Michael
12-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Definitely. He's very experienced and has an excellent track record at this level, so if this appointment doesn't work out then I really don't know what will.

Jones28
13-03-2014, 02:05 AM

Absolutely, he needs to be given time. We cannot afford to let our expectations get the better of us too quickly. His target for next season will be top 6 IMO.

It takes time to stop the rot, and this has been going on for so long that 2 years won't make a dent in it.