PDA

View Full Version : Sixth or Seventh.

Spike Mandela
09-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Now that it looks certain that our best finish this year is sixth or seventh what would you prefer?

I know we should probably aim for our highest possible placing but I would actually prefer another crack at Hearts at ER before they head off on their potentially long adventure holiday in the lower leagues.

RCNG
09-03-2014, 12:26 PM
7th. Too poor at the moment.

Sir David Gray
09-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Sixth.

It's still very poor but why anyone would rather we finish lower down the league is beyond me.

I don't care about getting a fourth derby.

BVB Hibs
09-03-2014, 12:43 PM
There's some merit to finishing 7th as opposed to 6th. Finish 6th an chances are we'll go through our final 5 games without many points. Bottom six gets us another Derby and a couple of games that are winnable. Come out of the final 5 games with 3 wins and a draw (or there abouts) and it's more likely to excite fans to renew or buy season tickets. We all know how fickle some members of the hibs support can be, and if they're given a reason to cheer we're likely to get some more cash in the bank to spend on players in the summer.

That being said, I'd still prefer the higher placing.

The Sea-gull
09-03-2014, 12:46 PM
6th every time. We need to stop the rot of finishing bottom 6. Would be 4 years in a row if we finish there again this year. It is not good for confidence within the club and external reputation for us to be bottom 6 all the time. Also, a bottom 6 place means we could end up in a scrap to avoid play off and while I can't see us finishing 2nd bottom due to too many other teams below us having to go on a run to make this happen, a place in the bottom 6 when every one plays everyone would make it possible. Those talking about us relegating hearts and the getting a 4th derby, think of this, imagine hearts coming to er post split already relegated with pressure off them and a chance to consign us to play off spot.

edwards
09-03-2014, 12:54 PM
On the second half display yesterday we are capable of finishing sixth, the first half :confused:

Ronniekirk
09-03-2014, 01:39 PM
On the second half display yesterday we are capable of finishing sixth, the first half :confused:

Butcher has said he wants top 6 and told the squad that's the challenge from that point of viewI think it's important he shows he can motivate the squad to achieve that I am content if we can play like we did in second half and cut out defensive errors .If we do that and st Johnstone don't go on a three game winning run think we can make
6 the but another Derby would do for me as would be nice to beat them three times in one season for a change ,given we won't be playing them for a while

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 01:44 PM
:confused: 6th of course.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-03-2014, 01:48 PM
There's some merit to finishing 7th as opposed to 6th. Finish 6th an chances are we'll go through our final 5 games without many points. Bottom six gets us another Derby and a couple of games that are winnable. Come out of the final 5 games with 3 wins and a draw (or there abouts) and it's more likely to excite fans to renew or buy season tickets. We all know how fickle some members of the hibs support can be, and if they're given a reason to cheer we're likely to get some more cash in the bank to spend on players in the summer.

That being said, I'd still prefer the higher placing.

The prize money for 6th would provide more cash than selling a few extra STs on the back of a win or two against the likes of Partick.

basehibby
09-03-2014, 02:01 PM
I can see the sense in this question - of course for the sake of posterity, 6th (or better which looks very unlikely) would always be the better outcome. BUT, in terms of potential feel good factor and entertainment we MAY be just as well off in the bottom 6 this season.

Top 6 finish - as one of the less talented teams we may well struggle to get any morale boosting wins on the table

Bottom 6 finish - would mean one more derby at ER - one more chance to rub salt in their wounds - and also, looking the strongest team of the section, would be more likely to string together some decent results and finish the season with the wind in our sails.

It's a close run thing - but, being the over optimistic fool (ie typical football fan) I am I will plump for the former - in the hope that Butcher and Malpas can push for 5th and give us something to shout about in the top 6, and just because 6th (or 5th!) will always look better than 7th (or worse!) in the pages of history.

Onceinawhile
09-03-2014, 02:01 PM
6th, if nothing else it's still quite tight in the bottom six and a few results could see us dragged into a play off. I don't think it would happen, but I'd prefer the certainty. Would also be worth more to us.

StarMan10
09-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Top 6 every day of the week. Blood a few of the youngsters in the final 5 games aswell

PeeJay
09-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Only a club with a loser mentality would prefer 7th over 6th ... all this nonsense about us rubbing salt in their wounds: is that the height of our ambition?

Sir David Gray
09-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Only a club with a loser mentality would prefer 7th over 6th ... all this nonsense about us rubbing salt in their wounds: is that the height of our ambition?

:agree: I think it's pretty embarrassing hearing people talk about how they would prefer us to finish 7th instead of 6th.

We are a big club in Scotland and to have our club finish in the bottom half of the league in four consecutive seasons is completely unacceptable.

Alex Trager
09-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Personally I am of the opinion if we get top six, fifth is not out of the question at all. ICT are not unreachable

B.H.F.C
09-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Absolute no brainer. We need to try and finish as high as possible. Enough is said about a piss poor mentality at the club but how can anybody complain about that if we have supporters who would rather finish a place lower than possible?

Gus Fring
09-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Sixth. If we lose every game we're still sixth. If we get 7th and we lose every game we could be in the playoff.

Sean1875
09-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Absolute no brainer. We need to try and finish as high as possible. Enough is said about a piss poor mentality at the club but how can anybody complain about that if we have supporters who would rather finish a place lower than possible?

Exactly :agree: **** Hearts. If we want to sign some decent quality players surely it will effect our chances if they look at our league form and see that we've finished in the bottom 6 of the league for the last 4 years running? Finish as high as possible, show future players that were an improving team and get an extra bit of money into the coffers at the same time.

Green Reaper
09-03-2014, 06:19 PM
No brainier for me, top 6 is an achievement (albeit small for a club our size) compared to previous seasons. We will get more money through league placing and better crowds against top 6 opposition. We will have a target of trying to catch 5th spot. 7th is not positive thinking and having another derby does not do it for me. I hope the last derby we have for a while will be beating them at that shambles of a stadium in March. Let's be done with negative thinking and look to finish as high as we can. I also feel the most important factor in selling season tickets for next season will be who TB/MM sign to improve the team

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Cannae think why anybody would want tae finish in the bottom 6 instead of the top 6. I still think we'll finish 7th but I'd rather finish 6th and be safe. If we finish in the bottom 6 with the results we've been getting there's still every danger of getting sucked in tae the play offs.

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Has to be sixth.

After all, if seventh is preferable then why not eighth? Or let's go the whole hog and finish eleventh so we can lose in the playoffs and have four derbies in the 'Champion'ship next season (although with our luck the Yams will be liquidated and we'll still miss out on playing them).

Franck Stanton
09-03-2014, 06:58 PM
There is no guarantee that the 4th league derby would be at E/R - it wouldn't be the first time we have played other bottom 6 teams away 3 times in a season and, given the financial plight of our neighbours it wouldn't surprise me if the powers that be gave them a 3rd derby at swiney to help them out. IF we have a chance at top 6 then we must take it, - no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2014, 07:08 PM
There is no guarantee that the 4th league derby would be at E/R - it wouldn't be the first time we have played other bottom 6 teams away 3 times in a season and, given the financial plight of our neighbours it wouldn't surprise me if the powers that be gave them a 3rd derby at swiney to help them out. IF we have a chance at top 6 then we must take it, - no brainer as far as I am concerned.

We're due 2 at home post split. It will be a bit complicated for us as we will possibly play someone away 3 times or someone at home 3 times
If we finish top 6 the fixtures would be against
Celtic - played them at home once/away twice
Aberdeen - home twice/away once
Dundee Utd - home twice/ away once
Motherwell - home twice/away once
Inverness - home once/away twice
So its not clear how it would work, but we could get Celtic at ER for a 3rd time, as well as Inverness at home
Bottom 6
Kilmarnock away twice/home once
Ross County - Home twice/away once
St Mirren - Home twice/away once
Partick Thistle -Away twice/home once
Hearts - Away twice/home once
So we've played 3 of the bottom teams away twice already, so
So should get Hearts/Partick at home, and away to Killie 3 times

Elephant Stone
09-03-2014, 07:11 PM
5th. :cb

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 07:13 PM
5th. :cb:hilarious

it's no cigars you've been smokin' then :wink: :smokin

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Definitely 6th for me. As far as getting it right up our "neighbours" goes, a result which confirms relegation for them on 30th March will do me fine. Hearts will soon be forgotten or non-existent and the sooner we then get on with looking up and focus on improving ourselves for next season and beyond, the better. As far as the remaining games go, the prospect of playing Utd, Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell looks much more interesting and the crowds should be bigger for those games. Finally, I don`t want there to be any chance whatsoever of us having to avoid the play-offs.

Plus, don`t the club get more money for finishing 6th rather than 7th?

Michael
09-03-2014, 07:26 PM
I can't imagine the prize money difference between 6th and 7th being huge. The final derby of the season would (probably) be at home if we finish in the bottom half, so with the possibility of it being the last one for a while it could have a large attendance. With this in mind, would finishing 7th be more profitable than 6th? And, if we won the derby plus a couple of the easier games it might benefit season ticket sales a lot more than getting hammered each week in the top 6.

I'd still much rather finish 6th though either way!

Hibby70
09-03-2014, 07:40 PM
11th then lose the playoff. After all the Championship will be best league next season I've heard.

Failing that 6th

Jim44
09-03-2014, 07:41 PM
6th or better for me please...... for all the right and obvious reasons. I want to avoid 7th., again for obvious reasons but also because a final ( bottom 6) game against the Jambos could give the them a chance of relegation with a real softening consolation of beating us, taking some of the edge off their hurt at going down. Don't underestimate how much beating us is top priority for them. Medals Locke has already said that avoiding relegation to us must be avoided at all costs.

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Medals Locke has already said that avoiding relegation to us must be avoided at all costs.

It would be funny if they decided to scuttle their own battleship and lose the game before they play us if that was still a possibility. :greengrinEither way, it could be the last derby - barring freak cup draws - for a good few years, so it`s a must win for us.

jdships
09-03-2014, 10:35 PM
SEVENTH sadly

offshorehibby
09-03-2014, 10:46 PM
I've been mulling this over a good bit today eventually sticking with a preferred top 6 finish. With a top 6 finish we might struggle to gain many points but we'd be safe. Bottom 6 we should pick up a few points but nothing is guaranteed. A couple of bad games and we could get dragged near that play off spot.

GGTTHibees
10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Now that it looks certain that our best finish this year is sixth or seventh what would you prefer?

I know we should probably aim for our highest possible placing but I would actually prefer another crack at Hearts at ER before they head off on their potentially long adventure holiday in the lower leagues.

Top 6 just to annoy the jambos.

jacomo
10-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Sixth.

It's still very poor but why anyone would rather we finish lower down the league is beyond me.

I don't care about getting a fourth derby.

:agree:

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Sixth. I'm scenting a strong finish from Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2014, 01:29 PM
...although, I'm thinking seventh might be best as we could have the relegation party and Tynecastle and the liquidation party at Easter Road!

Oscar T Grouch
10-03-2014, 01:52 PM
For those who want a 4th derby to get it right up em? Shirley the best way to get it right up em is to finish as high up the league as we can, get more prize money and more points between us, or am I wrong?

Jones28
10-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Jesus Christ, is this even a question?

Spike Mandela
11-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Jesus Christ, is this even a question?

Yes.

Jones28
11-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Yes.

Reading between the lines I see spike. ;)

What I should have said is this. Is it any wonder our club is in the shape it's in with people preferring to finish lower down in the league? **** the jambos, they know they're down and may never come back. Let them go and let's concentrate on Hibs.

PeterboroHibee
11-03-2014, 03:31 PM
It would be funny if they decided to scuttle their own battleship and lose the game before they play us if that was still a possibility. :greengrinEither way, it could be the last derby - barring freak cup draws - for a good few years, so it`s a must win for us.

They only have one game against Dundee United before the derby, so its really out of their hands. It probably will be unlikely they will get relegated in our game though as I imagine it requires too many other teams picking up points.

As for the point of this thread, I cant see why would we want to finish 7th over 6th...

brian6-2
11-03-2014, 03:36 PM
i honestly cant believe what i read on here sometimes.

Spike Mandela
11-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Reading between the lines I see spike. ;)

What I should have said is this. Is it any wonder our club is in the shape it's in with people preferring to finish lower down in the league? **** the jambos, they know they're down and may never come back. Let them go and let's concentrate on Hibs.

Really I'm just thinking of my own enjoyment Jones.

Obviously finishing sixth is an improvement on seventh but chances are we will attain sixth, not win any games after the split and this ****tiesst of seasons will fizzle out to nothing.

Finish seventh we will have more winnable games, a (very slight) element of competition with the play off place and have a fourth game against Hearts which is unashamedly my favourite fixture of the year and with a positive attitude we might give them an absolute doing which would be pleasing.

Saorsa
11-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Obviously finishing sixth is an improvement on seventh but chances are we will attain sixth, not win any games after the split and this ****tiesst of seasons will fizzle out to nothing.

Finish seventh we will have more winnable games, a (very slight) element of competition with the play off place and have a fourth game against Hearts which is unashamedly my favourite fixture of the year and with a positive attitude we might give them an absolute doing which would be pleasing.With the way some of our results have gone I think I'd rather no be part of that competition if at all possible, regardless of what games we might or might no win efter the split.

Jones28
11-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Finish seventh we will have more winnable games, a (very slight) element of competition with the play off place and have a fourth game against Hearts which is unashamedly my favourite fixture of the year and with a positive attitude we might give them an absolute doing which would be pleasing.

Don't get me wrong, I love beating hearts as much as the next man, but the way we are playing and with our track record, and absolute doing is never certain. Regardless of circumstances!

Personally I think that by playing better opposition our players get better, the difference in performance between the Dundee united and Motherwell games is testiment to that. Very poor all game against united, not great in the first half but huge improvement in the second against Motherwell.

SouthamptonHibs
12-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Now that we are defo 7th (or below), can we say this season has been an absolute failure? Strong The Rangers and Hearts = 9th at best. Another shambles at Easter Road. Let's hope we get anther 9pts to guarantee we don't finish 11th

stevejordan
12-03-2014, 10:57 PM
We were never finishing in the top 6 Terry needs time to re build

IberianHibernian
12-03-2014, 11:18 PM
6th or 7th would both be disappointing places to finish especially in a season in which we`ve done nothing in the cups . About this time last year we had exciting away performances like game at Tannadice and wins at Kilmarnock ( the second without LG ) . Though we didn`t make the top 6 we were unlucky and playing well in some matches especially away from home . Depressing to see how we`ve fallen since then especially in the last few months though replacing our best 2 players was always going to be a huge task . We could still make top 6 but it would now be more down to St J failing than us doing well . Manager ? So far managerial change has been a big mistake but TB having a lot of friends in the media has made him almost immune to criticism and many fans are either satisfied because we won the New Year Derby ( TB keeps mentioning it ) or are resigned to waiting till TB gets his own players . Sadly , many are just disillusioned and past caring . Many Hibs fans won`t even know we played tonight .

Saturdays Hero
13-03-2014, 12:33 AM
6th or 7th would both be disappointing places to finish especially in a season in which we`ve done nothing in the cups . About this time last year we had exciting away performances like game at Tannadice and wins at Kilmarnock ( the second without LG ) . Though we didn`t make the top 6 we were unlucky and playing well in some matches especially away from home . Depressing to see how we`ve fallen since then especially in the last few months though replacing our best 2 players was always going to be a huge task . We could still make top 6 but it would now be more down to St J failing than us doing well . Manager ? So far managerial change has been a big mistake but TB having a lot of friends in the media has made him almost immune to criticism and many fans are either satisfied because we won the New Year Derby ( TB keeps mentioning it ) or are resigned to waiting till TB gets his own players . Sadly , many are just disillusioned and past caring . Many Hibs fans won`t even know we played tonight .

Jose Mourinho would struggle with the squad of deadbeats we have,hardly TB fault,Stevenson,Maybury,Craig,Nelson,Williams,Coll ins,Twaio,Thomson throw in McPake (serious injury) Clancy & Vine ?? He inherited that shower of wage thiefs,Ffs give Butcher a chance.

Nailrod
13-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Can anybody actually find out what the difference in prize fund is between 6th and 7th? I've just wasted an hour failing to do so. Best I can come up with is that it used to be about 0.5% of 48% of the fund, so about 1/4 of one percent of the total. But I can't find out what the actual sum might be.

Mr White
13-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Can anybody actually find out what the difference in prize fund is between 6th and 7th? I've just wasted an hour failing to do so. Best I can come up with is that it used to be about 0.5% of 48% of the fund, so about 1/4 of one percent of the total. But I can't find out what the actual sum might be.

I remember reading somewhere there was roughly 40k difference between league placings from 3rd down. Whether that's still the case or if it ever was, I don't know.

Ronniekirk
13-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Have just looked into my crystal ball 7th at best

leggeto
13-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Wanted 6th but will be 7th,at least we will get the liquidation party at Easter road

Jones28
13-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Jose Mourinho would struggle with the squad of deadbeats we have,hardly TB fault,Stevenson,Maybury,Craig,Nelson,Williams,Coll ins,Twaio,Thomson throw in McPake (serious injury) Clancy & Vine ?? He inherited that shower of wage thiefs,Ffs give Butcher a chance.

Calling Stevenson a wage thief is very harsh

Spike Mandela
13-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Calling Stevenson a wage thief is very harsh

Perhaps, but can't say I'd be devastated if he and the others mentioned weren't there next season although I reckon Collins deserves a second season to prove the doubters wrong.

Jones28
13-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Perhaps, but can't say I'd be devastated if he and the others mentioned weren't there next season although I reckon Collins deserves a second season to prove the doubters wrong.

I agree, but to say he doesn't earn his crust is wrong. Hardest working player on the pitch most games.

Saturdays Hero
13-03-2014, 11:09 AM
I agree, but to say he doesn't earn his crust is wrong. Hardest working player on the pitch most games.

Yup,prob harsh saying he's a wage thief,but I reckon he's vastly overpaid for what we get in return.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Yup,prob harsh saying he's a wage thief,but I reckon he's vastly overpaid for what we get in return.

They are all overpaid. Be interesting to know what the average weekly players at 1st team level is

leggeto
13-03-2014, 01:06 PM

Collins would never be in the teamsheet before lewis

Spike Mandela
13-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Collins would never be in the teamsheet before lewis

You are comparing apples and oranges.

My point about Collins is the second season syndrome. Quite often for whatever reason a player doesn't really kick on until the second season. I rememer this notably at Hibs with Darren Jackson but also players like Billy MacKay who only scored 3 goals in 24 games in his first season at ICT.

Like Stvenson Collins certainly gives his all in games and I think there might be more to come from him.

leggeto
13-03-2014, 05:12 PM
You are comparing apples and oranges.

My point about Collins is the second season syndrome. Quite often for whatever reason a player doesn't really kick on until the second season. I rememer this notably at Hibs with Darren Jackson but also players like Billy MacKay who only scored 3 goals in 24 games in his first season at ICT.

Like Stvenson Collins certainly gives his all in games and I think there might be more to come from him.

I do hope he bangs them in next season,but I can't see it,maybe with better service but hoping