PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

Baldy
08-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Last week, he rightfully took a lot of stick as he was woeful, however today I thought he was back to his usual assured self.

I don't think he could be faulted for any of the goals and he bailed out McGivern and Nelson time after time, I hope that last week was just a blip

Bearders
08-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Last week, he rightfully took a lot of stick as he was woeful, however today I thought he was back to his usual assured self.

I don't think he could be faulted for any of the goals and he bailed out McGivern and Nelson time after time, I hope that last week was just a blip

Get the hair oot yir eyes Baldy. Another 3 conceded. Watch the highlights - face in the mud after the first 2. Very poor........ In my opinion.

B.H.F.C
08-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Defending is a collective thing and nobody in that back 4 can take any praise at the moment. We are losing scandalous amount of goals at home at the moment.

Only thing I'd say in defence of the defence is that they aren't getting much in the way of protection. Still not good enough tho.

KuqiKuqiCoo
08-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I rate hanlon so much, a footballing defender with a brain, without him we would concede a heck of a lot more goals. Fact.

greenlex
08-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I thought MOTM was between Hanlon and Stanton.

Bearders
08-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I rate hanlon so much, a footballing defender with a brain, without him we would concede a heck of a lot more goals. Fact.

Fact? Utter bollox. He's been at the centre of our defence for too many miserable seasons now. No coincidence? He may be a footballer with a brain but defender? Goals against column doesn't lie.

GreenOnions
08-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I agree with the OP. Paul has done really well this season. Some of his interceptions today were excellent and he seems to be able to win the ball often without going to ground. I think it must be quite difficult playing between McGivern and Nelson.

mentalhibee
08-03-2014, 08:23 PM
I agree with the OP. Paul has done really well this season. Some of his interceptions today were excellent and he seems to be able to win the ball often without going to ground. I think it must be quite difficult playing between McGivern and Nelson.

Had a good 2nd half today, has been our best player this season.

3pm
08-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Hanlon was pish in the 1st half. Good 2nd.

Boyle89
08-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I thought he was partly to blame for the 1st. The runner ran right infront of him and he didn't follow. He was top class in the 2nd half and I don't think sutton won a single header in the 2nd half.

Bearders
08-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Had a good 2nd half today, has been our best player this season.

A season where we are struggling to make top 6 once again and I don't mean spring summer autumn and winter - 4 ******g years. Butcher needs to be ruthless in his quest to get the defence sorted out and harsh as many of you will no doubt comment, Hanlon needs moved on for the benefit of both parties.

kaimendhibs
08-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Apart from the winner

Sent from my iphone

Jonnyboy
08-03-2014, 08:49 PM
A season where we are struggling to make top 6 once again and I don't mean spring summer autumn and winter - 4 ******g years. Butcher needs to be ruthless in his quest to get the defence sorted out and harsh as many of you will no doubt comment, Hanlon needs moved on for the benefit of both parties.

I'm guessing you don't rate PH :wink:

I thought he handled Sutton well today.

marinello59
08-03-2014, 08:50 PM

:agree: And he constantly won the physical battles today. My man of the match.

Bearders
08-03-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm guessing you don't rate PH :wink:

I thought he handled Sutton well today.

Sutton bags a brace? Our defence is very poor, individually and collectively regardless of personnel. League tables don,t lie. We lost 3 against Raith that has cost us a pretty penny. I am not singling out PH as the lone villain in all this but he has been the common denominator throughout the disastrous tenures of Our last 3 managers. Something needs to change and in my opinion, he needs to be moved on.
I'm still hurting badly after the Scottish Cup debacle so perhaps I need to take stock before posting, which I rarely do. I just don't get where the OP is coming from.

It's a funny old game.

Gus Fring
08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Paul Hanlon only makes up a quarter of our defence so holding him responsible for every conceded goal is a bit unfair. The defence is worse without him, that much was clear when he was out injured. In fact most people couldn't wait to have him back!

Judging last weeks performance is poor form as well. The guy had double vision, it's not his fault it took so long to sub him off!

FromTheCapital
08-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Fact? Utter bollox. He's been at the centre of our defence for too many miserable seasons now. No coincidence? He may be a footballer with a brain but defender? Goals against column doesn't lie.

Other people not allowed an opinion, no? You must be another member of the hate players brigade. Sorry to disappoint but we don't have Thiago Silva and Kompany at our disposal. I thought Hanlon was excellent today in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedroorange1875
08-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Paul Hanlon has been a constant in the worst series of Hibs back fours in my 41 years. The people on here saying he handled Sutton well only need to look at the goals list, Sutton scored 2, he has slightly improved with Nelson beside but at the moment i would take my chance fine with a new centre half pairing and even a complete new look back 4. Fulham etc were looking at him, funny they didn't take him, more's the pity. Lets start building a team around Forster and Stanton, time for Stevenson, Hanlon etc to move on, these players have proved they wont make us top six

Northernhibee
08-03-2014, 09:42 PM
He's easily our best player.

Jonnyboy
08-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Paul Hanlon has been a constant in the worst series of Hibs back fours in my 41 years. The people on here saying he handled Sutton well only need to look at the goals list, Sutton scored 2, he has slightly improved with Nelson beside but at the moment i would take my chance fine with a new centre half pairing and even a complete new look back 4. Fulham etc were looking at him, funny they didn't take him, more's the pity. Lets start building a team around Forster and Stanton, time for Stevenson, Hanlon etc to move on, these players have proved they wont make us top six

I hadn't looked at a match report and thought the first goal was an own goal by McGivern but I'm obviously wrong. The second Sutton goal was a good old stramash so hardly attributable to a Hanlon error. The reason I said he handled Sutton well was because in open play he didn't let Sutton bully him.

Aldo
08-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Fishing trip for me tbh.

Hanlon has been our best defender all season and apart from his very poor game last week one of our better players and our most consistent.

I'm a believer in attack as a team defend as a team.

If you think Hanlon is poor then what does that make Craig. He's a total liability and should not be captain. Hides for most of the game and is not willing to take responsibility on the park. And probably not just him.

Hanlon gets stick regardless.

Time to change the record.

pedroorange1875
08-03-2014, 09:47 PM
I hadn't looked at a match report and thought the first goal was an own goal by McGivern but I'm obviously wrong. The second Sutton goal was a good old stramash so hardly attributable to a Hanlon error. The reason I said he handled Sutton well was because in open play he didn't let Sutton bully him.

Hanlon very nearly (again) got pushed off the ball in the first half by the 4 foot 1 Lionel Ainsworth. As i said ill take my chances with a new centre pairing all day long

Jonnyboy
08-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Hanlon very nearly (again) got pushed off the ball in the first half by the 4 foot 1 Lionel Ainsworth. As i said ill take my chances with a new centre pairing all day long

Fair enough if that's your take on it. I just don't agree :wink:

davhibby
08-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Second half today I thought he was brilliant and did a good job on Sutton. Some great interceptions too

pedroorange1875
08-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Fair enough if that's your take on it. I just don't agree :wink:

Its cool mate, i agree in the second half he did ok with Sutton but the only reason is that against a physical mobile attacker he is garbage, Sutton is slower than us climbing the league

Bearders
08-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Other people not allowed an opinion, no? You must be another member of the hate players brigade. Sorry to disappoint but we don't have Thiago Silva and Kompany at our disposal. I thought Hanlon was excellent today in the 2nd half.

A game last 90 minutes ........ 1st half? You don't disappoint me at all. I can work that out for myself as I've rarely missed a game since the days of Cormack and Marinello and defending well has never been a regular strong point. That said, losing 5 ,4 and 7 and a series of conceding 16 in 5 at home does suggest we have a few problems in the defending department,no? Did he not feature in all these games?
Hate players brigade? I like PH - hate is a terrible word. How can anyone hate a Hibs player?I just feel for both parties he needs to move on.

Brightside
08-03-2014, 09:56 PM
He'd be moving up thats for sure!

neil7908
08-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't blame him for any of the goals today. In fact don't think it's a coincidence that all 3 of their goals came from the right side of our defence where we have someone at right back who is actually a central defender and Nelson who just doesn't have the pace to last at this level any more.

FromTheCapital
08-03-2014, 09:58 PM
A game last 90 minutes ........ 1st half? You don't disappoint me at all. I can work that out for myself as I've rarely missed a game since the days of Cormack and Marinello and defending well has never been a regular strong point. That said, losing 5 ,4 and 7 and a series of conceding 16 in 5 at home does suggest we have a few problems in the defending department,no? Did he not feature in all these games?
Hate players brigade? I like PH - hate is a terrible word. How can anyone hate a Hibs player?I just feel for both parties he needs to move on.

The whole team was poor in the 1st half bar Forster? Hanlon dealt well with Sutton in General and both of the goals Sutton scored were out of Hanlon's hands. I respect your opinion but Hanlon is only 24 and is already a top defender in my eyes. Future captain.

RIP
08-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Hanlon and Stevenson. Two of the first picks in most people's Hibs Team. Will be two strong candidates for POTY this season.

Your eyes painted on chum?

monktonharp
08-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Paul Hanlon only makes up a quarter of our defence so holding him responsible for every conceded goal is a bit unfair. The defence is worse without him, that much was clear when he was out injured. In fact most people couldn't wait to have him back!

Judging last weeks performance is poor form as well. The guy had double vision, it's not his fault it took so long to sub him off! If we had four Paul Hanlons at the back, we'd be slightly better than now, but still wont make it a solid defence. move him on imho. a few weeks ago he was touted for a Scotland berth. :confused: get real.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Hanlon is good. with a good, solid, experienced CB next to him aswell as two good fullbacks he will look better.

monktonharp
08-03-2014, 11:18 PM
The whole team was poor in the 1st half bar Forster? Hanlon dealt well with Sutton in General and both of the goals Sutton scored were out of Hanlon's hands. I respect your opinion but Hanlon is only 24 and is already a top defender in my eyes. Future captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhe's already been captain, never excites me , that fact

Aldo
08-03-2014, 11:19 PM
The whole team was poor in the 1st half bar Forster? Hanlon dealt well with Sutton in General and both of the goals Sutton scored were out of Hanlon's hands. I respect your opinion but Hanlon is only 24 and is already a top defender in my eyes. Future captain. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Future Captain - should be Captain in my books.

monktonharp
08-03-2014, 11:22 PM
why did the likes of Hanlon not call on all around them, to dig in for the period of extra time, and shut the game down? there are no leaders on the park,never been any for years. this game should have been won,after heroicly battling back, getting a wee break but still lost 2 valuble points:fuming:

FromTheCapital
08-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Future Captain - should be Captain in my books.

Him, Nelson or Thomson for me. He's a great centre back.

RIP Bestie
08-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Hanlon and Stevenson. Two of the first picks in most people's Hibs Team. Will be two strong candidates for POTY this season.

And this is the problem that we have. Need I spell I out? These are mediocre squad players at best but we talk about them as potential player of the year.

Aldo
08-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Him, Nelson or Thomson for me. He's a great centre back. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But you probably won't see KT in the first team again and Hanlon should not be dropped as he's our best defender so far this season.

stewpot
08-03-2014, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=FromTheCapital;3926361]Him, Nelson or Thomson for me. He's a great centre back.

Let's have a pint of what your drinking..... Nelson is not a footballer. He can punt it up the park alright, but he is constantly costing us goals

FromTheCapital
08-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Agreed. But you probably won't see KT in the first team again and Hanlon should not be dropped as he's our best defender so far this season.

It's disappointing that we probably won't see KT in there with Taiwo. That would be our best option and would cover the back four a lot more and then that would allow Stanton to go forward and do what he does without having to run the length of the park several times to cover for Liam Craig as well.

Up The Bracket
08-03-2014, 11:59 PM

Can't disagree with this, think last week was his only bad game all season

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2014, 12:11 AM

Lol, I'll pop whatever you are popping

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2014, 12:12 AM
And this is the problem that we have. Need I spell I out? These are mediocre squad players at best but we talk about them as potential player of the year.

Spot on, shows how far we really have fallen.

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2014, 12:14 AM

Think Terry will shift him in the summer, problem is, who's going to take him, he'll never get a bigger club than Hibs, would like to be proven wrong, but just don't see any real quality in the laddie. Shame

MagicSwirlingShip
09-03-2014, 01:04 AM
People talking about getting shot of Hanlon mystify me. We've invested 5 odd years into his development (and that's just the first team) - and people are mentioning getting rid of him when he's been having his most consistent season ever. To get rid if him now after 150+ appearances is madness.

If he had came through alongside a Rob Jones or Gary Smith type we would be looking at a million pound footballer. In my opinion.

We should be talking about finding him a solid, stable partner. The one thing I can see is that Nelson is definitely not the answer.

BVB Hibs
09-03-2014, 01:41 AM
In terms of consistent performers for Hibs this season Hanlon has been the stand out. The team looked on a whole much weaker when he was out. I think if we put Hanlon in beside another center back of similar calibre we'd have one of the strongest center back pairings in the league right now. He had a dreadful time last week, but one bad game isn't enough to ruin what has been a good season for the lad.

As mentioned above I'd try bring in another good center back to play beside him and have Forster as our backup CB. Bring in a good right back and give McGivern another season to prove that he's good enough to cut it at this level. He's shown glimpses and if Butcher can get him to perform on a consistent basis he'd be an important part of a back 4. Hanlon has never been the problem though, the problem has been that for the past two years he's either been played beside a slow Nelson, an out of form/injured McPake or an inexperienced Forster. Add in that we've not found a proper right back over that period (Maybury has never been anything more than cover since joining hibs) and even Kompany is going to look weak in our defence.

RIP Bestie
09-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Makes me laugh how it seems to be everyone else's fault that Hanlon is limited in his ability. Yes he has played beside some really poor partners but has he shone? Eh Naw. He is simply a very average bottom 6 SPFL player at best. He is part of the problem of our league positions in the past 5 years.

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Lol, I'll pop whatever you are popping

Seems to have been rated by several managers though, think I'll trust them, ta.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Hanlon is one of our best players, there may well be wholesale changes in the summer from TB but I very much doubt Hanlon will be emptied. Also not sure how some people think we will be be able to bring "top 6" players to the club in every position, it simply won't happen.

Col_0762
09-03-2014, 09:19 AM

Several managers who've all been sacked?

DC_Hibs
09-03-2014, 09:22 AM
If he had came through alongside a Rob Jones or Gary Smith type we would be looking at a million pound footballer.

Absolute belter!

I reckon based on Dundee United's first goal then that Ciftci must be £10m plus rated when Hanlon was running in treacle and put up as much fight as Julian Clary would have.

We can blame his previous centre back partners for that though.

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Care to name them, ta ? I could use a laugh

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2014, 09:31 AM
In terms of consistent performers for Hibs this season Hanlon has been the stand out. The team looked on a whole much weaker when he was out. I think if we put Hanlon in beside another center back of similar calibre we'd have one of the strongest center back pairings in the league right now. He had a dreadful time last week, but one bad game isn't enough to ruin what has been a good season for the lad.

As mentioned above I'd try bring in another good center back to play beside him and have Forster as our backup CB. Bring in a good right back and give McGivern another season to prove that he's good enough to cut it at this level. He's shown glimpses and if Butcher can get him to perform on a consistent basis he'd be an important part of a back 4. Hanlon has never been the problem though, the problem has been that for the past two years he's either been played beside a slow Nelson, an out of form/injured McPake or an inexperienced Forster. Add in that we've not found a proper right back over that period (Maybury has never been anything more than cover since joining hibs) and even Kompany is going to look weak in our defence.

I really don't think we should be having Forster as backup. I think that would stunt his development. He has shown me more potential than Hanlon in the last year than Hanlon has shown in 5.

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Care to name them, ta ? I could use a laugh

Well he's played regularly under Yogi, CC, Fenlon and now Butcher and also regularly as a Scotland U19s player and Scotland U21s captain. Again, I trust professional football managers opinions a little more than someone who looks for excuses to knock Hibs players rather than get behind them and show them support.

GreenOnions
09-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Well he's played regularly under Yogi, CC, Fenlon and now Butcher and also regularly as a Scotland U19s player and Scotland U21s captain. Again, I trust professional football managers opinions a little more than someone who looks for excuses to knock Hibs players rather than get behind them and show them support.

Correct. I think the vast majority of Hibs fans now believe that Paul is a player of high quality and we should be extremely glad we've got him.

Some of the small number who haven't quite realised this yet point to the fact that he's been part of defences that have been very poor over a number of years. In my view that only adds to the praise he should get for having to develop his game during a period when he's played with more sub-standard defensive partners than I've had hot dinners.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Correct. I think the vast majority of Hibs fans now believe that Paul is a player of high quality and we should be extremely glad we've got him.

Some of the small number who haven't quite realised this yet point to the fact that he's been part of defences that have been very poor over a number of years. In my view that only adds to the praise he should get for having to develop his game during a period when he's played with more sub-standard defensive partners than I've had hot dinners.

:agree: Shows his strength of character as well as his obvious ability, despite being one of the regular targets for disgruntled fans.

pedroorange1875
09-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Bottom six AGAIN chum, eyes are fine

RIP Bestie
09-03-2014, 10:50 AM
:agree: Shows his strength of character as well as his obvious ability, despite being one of the regular targets for disgruntled fans.
He is a target because he is simply not good enough in my opinion. Yes he's an honest trier but in truth he is a bottom 6 player who has not realised his potential. It's not his fault but he is not the player who will take us to the next level.

RIP Bestie
09-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Some of his partners may feel the same about him and only look sub standard because they have to worry about what he's doing?:hmmm:

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 11:03 AM
He is a target because he is simply not good enough in my opinion. Yes he's an honest trier but in truth he is a bottom 6 player who has not realised his potential. It's not his fault but he is not the player who will take us to the next level.

Think you need to realise that it's about a team being bottom or top six not individual players, I have said on a previous thread, who are these top six players you allude to and why would they want to come to a bottom six team anyway?

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
The thing is, Paul is still only 24 despite having played for us for a few seasons. He's still relatively young and could have a good ten years of playing ahead of him and still probably can improve as a player in this time.

If he does move away from Hibs in the future it'll be to a bigger club.

monktonharp
09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
The thing is, Paul is still only 24 despite having played for us for a few seasons. He's still relatively young and could have a good ten years of playing ahead of him and still probably can improve as a player in this time.

If he does move away from Hibs in the future it'll be to a bigger club. hope it all happens for him then, but not wearing green. we have been waiting for more than the time he's been in the first team, for a solid back line. we are still waiting, and it is dragging the team performances down, as well as alienating previous stalwart Hibernian supporters who have simply stopped going as they've had enough.

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 12:32 PM
hope it all happens for him then, but not wearing green. we have been waiting for more than the time he's been in the first team, for a solid back line. we are still waiting, and it is dragging the team performances down, as well as alienating previous stalwart Hibernian supporters who have simply stopped going as they've had enough.

Hanlon's not the problem though, easily our best defender by some way.

This is the point I'm getting at that I get a lot of stick for - Hanlon has had one bad game this season, yet it's been enough to start the usual "he's not good enough", "bottom 6 defender at best" nonsense. He's a former Scotland U21's captain and has been one of the payers that every manager has stuck by as he's a good player yet he gets pelters. Same with Stevenson. It's like some posters on here (not you monktonharp to be fair) that can't wait for some of our players to have a bad game. People sarcastically applauding Rowan Vine every time he was subbed off this season was an utter embarrasment.

There are certain players that we're horrific at backing and it's a real shame.

MagicSwirlingShip
09-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Absolute belter!

I reckon based on Dundee United's first goal then that Ciftci must be £10m plus rated when Hanlon was running in treacle and put up as much fight as Julian Clary would have.

We can blame his previous centre back partners for that though.

:rolleyes:

You're telling me that a player doesn't improve playing alongside better players? And that defenders don't perform better as part of a steady partnership? I was talking about his long term development - not an isolated incident.

Yes, PH hardly covered himself in glory against Ciftci last Friday - he's been a consistent 7/10 most weeks for me this season though and I think he is maturing into a decent steady, central defender.

Have you watched the highlights from yesterday? Nelson was absolutely atrocious.

Heisenberg
09-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Hanlon is our best defender. Nelson, Forster and Mcgivern not been up to scratch at all in recent weeks. Hanlon did have a shocker against United mind you but that aside he's been totally solid.

edwards
09-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Hanlon is our best defender. Nelson, Forster and Mcgivern not been up to scratch at all in recent weeks. Hanlon did have a shocker against United mind you but that aside he's been totally solid.

Agree but thought Hanlon was dire first half yesterday all our defenders are replaceable right back please then let Nelson Hanlon and Forster fight it out for the centre of defence.

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2014, 01:13 PM

If he does move away from Hibs in the future it'll be to a bigger club.

By bigger do you mean a team higher than us in the SPFL. Cause he ain't going to a team bigger than us, that's a certainty

Northernhibee
09-03-2014, 01:29 PM
By bigger do you mean a team higher than us in the SPFL. Cause he ain't going to a team bigger than us, that's a certainty

I'd expect him to go to a mid to lower English Championship side.

Dashing Bob S
09-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Hanlon is like Stevenson, on the verge of international class for a few games, then heading for the championship as a journeyman after a few more. And repeat. I call it 'Hibs disease' - when a player can't make up his mind whether he's excellent or pish.

So get rid of him and watch Dundee United snap him up and have him in the Scotland side within a year before getting a huge fee for him from some English club.

hibbysam
09-03-2014, 01:31 PM
I can't believe people are actually sitting having a go at PH for yesterday. First goal we were done down the right hand side and an undefendable ball was played in, second goal Nelson got skinned as he has done many a time this season, see Raith Rovers opening goal, and for the third again we were skinned down the Right hand side, Hanlon actually made two world class blocks before the ball fell to Sutton's head. He isn't slow for a Centre half, he wins a lot of his aerial battles, very comfortable on the ball and bringing the ball down... I don't know who we want to play centre half, we could maybe get Kompany and John Terry.

DC_Hibs
09-03-2014, 01:37 PM
:rolleyes:

You're telling me that a player doesn't improve playing alongside better players? And that defenders don't perform better as part of a steady partnership? I was talking about his long term development - not an isolated incident.

Yes, PH hardly covered himself in glory against Ciftci last Friday - he's been a consistent 7/10 most weeks for me this season though and I think he is maturing into a decent steady, central defender.

Have you watched the highlights from yesterday? Nelson was absolutely atrocious.

They can help to a degree BUT the player has to have the basics and learn from their mistakes.
Hanlon had a spell where he was playing a lot better but that goal showed he can still be a soft touch and his lack of pace was alarming. How long do we give him?

Whether Nelson had a good game is neither here nor there. I'd hope neither of them are first picks next season. If 3 players make mistakes in the lead up to conceding a goal I see little point arguing over who is most to blame....they all fekn are ya bams.......

There's too many fans that accept mediocrity at Hibs and the sooner we start weeding out non performers the better. We are stuck with this squad now so its up to Butcher to find his best team and for them to produce some battling wins over the rest of the season.

Ronniekirk
09-03-2014, 01:46 PM
He should now be coming into his prime but out of contract end of next season If he doesn't sign new one he could well be touted round other clubs as Petrie looks to try and get a modest fee for him .I would keep him as we can't replace all first team in one go so a few key players need to be built around .Nelson still has another year to go but his distribution is so poor that think T B would rather replace him if he could move him on

Saorsa
09-03-2014, 04:02 PM
If we had four Paul Hanlons at the back, we'd be slightly better than now, but still wont make it a solid defence. move him on imho. a few weeks ago he was touted for a Scotland berth. :confused: get real.Aye, you'd think a 77 time capped ex-international player at CH would ken who or what type of player would make a decent CH but the man obviously disnae have a clue. Time TB got with the plan and came on here for some expert advice. :agree:

GGTTHibees
09-03-2014, 04:13 PM

I think Hanlon has been relatively consistent this season? It's Nelson that I've got an issue with. Yes he has scored but he doesn't make an effort at times, often seen jogging after the opposition in our own box. He let the ball through his legs against Motherwell which lead to their goal!

Beefster
09-03-2014, 05:52 PM
You've got to factor in the fact that Hanlon is playing beside Nelson. However, if Hanlon and Stevenson were as good as some folk on here seem to believe, they wouldn't both still be at Hibs after about 8 years of playing for the first team.

Brightside
09-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Hanlon is like Stevenson, on the verge of international class for a few games, then heading for the championship as a journeyman after a few more. And repeat. I call it 'Hibs disease' - when a player can't make up his mind whether he's excellent or pish.

So get rid of him and watch Dundee United snap him up and have him in the Scotland side within a year before getting a huge fee for him from some English club.

Exactly - this thread totally reeks.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Agree Hanlon is our best defender. Forster isn't up to scratch because he's playing right back, which is not his position. Nelson & McGivern are very average.

TheFamous1875
09-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Imperative for this summer is an in prime CB with all the attributes to compliment Hanlon and vice versa. If Butcher knows anything, it's the centre half position.

Steven Thompson (one of the best strikers in our league) said on Sportscene a few weeks ago that Meekings and Warren were the best centre half pairing in the league. That must mean they're pretty good. Butcher put them together as they obviously compliment each other's games, and if there was anyone who I thought could find the perfect candidate to partner Paul Hanlon, it's Terry Butcher. I think it'll be a very different story at the back next season. I think we'll bring in a good CB and a good right back, as we simply need to. Top, top priority.

I think McGivern will battle it out with Callum Booth for the left-back slot. Nelson will be away, or take a back seat (is his contract up, or does he have another year?), and Forster will be second choice CB/RB, hopefully with Black coming into the first team squad as well.

Paul Hanlon is one of our undisputed best players alongside Stanton. He's never played in a successful Hibs team, yet he shows so much promise. If he's to be part of a settled back four like Butcher had at ICT, I'm sure he'll shine, and if this does happen, he'll probably be sold to the Championship after a few seasons, and it'll be merited as he has a lot of class. He's not perfect, but no one is when they're perennially surrounded by diddies.

It's a miracle he's as good as he is already. That's his class shining through. All he needs now is the appropriate calibre of player around him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

RIP Bestie
09-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Think you need to realise that it's about a team being bottom or top six not individual players, I have said on a previous thread, who are these top six players you allude to and why would they want to come to a bottom six team anyway?
I haven't a clue, although I know it's not Hanlon. He has reached his limit and I want to see Hibs achieve more. We are not going to do that if the likes of Hanlon is seen as one of our best players I'm afraid.

ehf
09-03-2014, 11:40 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Hanlon and Stevenson international class???

Bronson
10-03-2014, 12:04 AM
If we had four Paul Hanlons at the back, we'd be slightly better than now, but still wont make it a solid defence. move him on imho. a few weeks ago he was touted for a Scotland berth. :confused: get real.

Absolute nonsense, Hanlon has been superb this season. The odd poor game here and there but overall our player of the season, and still only 24. I can only assume you haven't been to many games this season and are judging him on previous years.

RIP Bestie
10-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Absolute nonsense, Hanlon has been superb this season. The odd poor game here and there but overall our player of the season, and still only 24. I can only assume you haven't been to many games this season and are judging him on previous years.
Being our best doesn't necessarily mean that he's any good.

ian cruise
10-03-2014, 04:52 AM
who are these top six players you allude to and why would they want to come to a bottom six team anyway?

Well if we go by the league positions of their teams when the players signed for us, Rowan Vine, Liam Craig, Tim Clancy and Oeaon Tudor Jones. So apparently top six team players aren't good enough for Hibs either!

Stonewall
10-03-2014, 07:49 AM
I haven't a clue, although I know it's not Hanlon. He has reached his limit and I want to see Hibs achieve more. We are not going to do that if the likes of Hanlon is seen as one of our best players I'm afraid.

Showing unusual degree of self-awareness I think.

RIP Bestie
10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Showing unusual degree of self-awareness I think.
Well not really. How am I supposed to know which players would be available to us to take us to the next level. I don't have time to study players at different clubs, that's what we have scouts for. I know that Hanlon has had the opportunity to do it and has proved incapable

Bronson
10-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Being our best doesn't necessarily mean that he's any good.

He is a good player though, very good at SPL level and still young. To suggest moving him on is ridiculous IMO.

TheFamous1875
10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
I think 'top six players' is a fallacy designed to keep 'bottom six clubs' like we currently are diverted away from being a top six club, which we most definitely are in terms of history and stature.

Rowan Vine, Liam Craig, Owain Tudor Jones and Tim Clancy all came from top 3/4 clubs, and they weren't (and currently aren't at this point) good enough for us which leads me to my point: there's no such thing as a top six/bottom six player. There's only top six/bottom six teams.

Hibs are a bottom six team because we've been yo-yoing from being relegation candidates to European qualifiers for the last 4 years. In this time we've not had any set team. The only two constants in and around the squad have been Hanlon and Stevenson - both good players who've been surrounded by journeymen, wage thiefs, prima donnas, and cart horses. Neither have been in a settled and grounded team since their careers began.

Last season, Rowan Vine and Liam Craig (especially Craig) were integral parts of 3rd placed St Johnstone. St Johnstone have been out-doing themselves for years, with a settled backbone of the team in Anderson, Wright, MacKay Davidson and Craig - all good players who had a rapport built with each other over the years which was evident in their play. As a team, they all look great players, because of they're united and they know their jobs inside out. They're in their positions and they know what needs done. Also, they're supplemented by players like Nigel Hasselbank and Rowan Vine, both talented players and with a backbone in their team, they're enabled to get forward and create opportunities.

None of those players mentioned are world beaters. Rowan Vine and Liam Craig look cack in a cack, unsettled and confused team. Vine so badly that he was only with us for 6 months. Craig looks out of his depth in a holding midfield role.

At St Johnstone, Vine was a bit part player (who admittedly, seemed a lot fitter than he ever was for Hibs) who created and scored goals when he was involved. He was a perfectly adequate member of that team and was deployed accordingly, and we signed him to be a focal point of our team, which sadly he just wasn't capable of being. Never was.

Craig was their main driving force from midfield alongside Scotland cap Murray Davidson. He was able to go forward and express himself, either from the left or right hand side, or from the middle. He always had cover from Davidson or Cregg, which is why he got forward and scored so many goals from outside the box.

My point is, this 'top six player' stuff is a load of nonsense. There's only top six teams like St Johnstone last season. You correctly assemble your squad as a manager. As a team, they succeeded. Take one of their star players on his own at new and unsettled club and he's got nae chance. Craig and Vine have supposedly been found out, but really I think it's Pat Fenlon's Hibs who've been found out. Neither are bad players, but Pat Fenlon's Hibs are a badly built team.

I think Paul Hanlon is the same. A very good player at this level, but he needs to be part of a good team to get the best out of him. Like many, many other players in football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RIP Bestie
10-03-2014, 11:30 PM
He is a good player though, very good at SPL level and still young. To suggest moving him on is ridiculous IMO.
He's not you know

Saorsa
10-03-2014, 11:42 PM
He's not you know

The former England skipper, a centre-half capped 77 by his country and the veteran of the finals of three world cups, said: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-form-can-push-paul-hanlon-into-scots-squad-1-3315672

Poster on Hibs. net who has achieved what in fitba? says: He's Rubbish

I wonder which opinion is worth mair? :hmmm: Hard choice? No really!

RIP Bestie
10-03-2014, 11:47 PM
The former England skipper, a centre-half capped 77 by his country and the veteran of the finals of three world cups, said: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-form-can-push-paul-hanlon-into-scots-squad-1-3315672

Poster on Hibs. net who has achieved what in fitba? says: He's Rubbish

I wonder which opinion is worth mair? :hmmm: Hard choice? No really!
Your choice

Saorsa
10-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Your choiceAye, I'll go with the man that's been there and done it. :aok:

Jones28
10-03-2014, 11:56 PM

No more needs said

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Is it true Fulham were interested a few years ago?

Jones28
10-03-2014, 11:59 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Hanlon and Stevenson international class???

"On the verge of"

Tongue in cheek comment which sums up perfectly the polarisation of comments aimed at our 2 most consistent and unfairly criticised players

RIP Bestie
11-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Aye, I'll go with the man that's been there and done it. :aok:
Good for you but you're not really expecting the man who's been there and done it to come out and say that one of his players isn't good enough are you? Especially when he will have to continue to use him.

Saorsa
11-03-2014, 12:53 AM
Good for you but you're not really expecting the man who's been there and done it to come out and say that one of his players isn't good enough are you? Especially when he will have to continue to use him.I wouldnae be expecting him tae put his player down, equally I doubt he'd be making an erse of himself touting him as an international prospect if he didnae think there was something in it. Still, what does he ken compared tae the posters' on here eh, who are not, never have been and never will be an international class center half. The man is clearly a slaver and disnae have a clue.

Then there's Billy Stark, who picked him for and made him captain of the Scotland U21's, another one who clearly has nae idea what he's doing.

Think I'll trust the judgement of our manager who has played the game at the top level rather than those who have done nothing and I'll leave it there, you bash on though.

RIP Bestie
11-03-2014, 12:31 PM
I wouldnae be expecting him tae put his player down, equally I doubt he'd be making an erse of himself touting him as an international prospect if he didnae think there was something in it. Still, what does he ken compared tae the posters' on here eh, who are not, never have been and never will be an international class center half. The man is clearly a slaver and disnae have a clue.

Then there's Billy Stark, who picked him for and made him captain of the Scotland U21's, another one who clearly has nae idea what he's doing.

Think I'll trust the judgement of our manager who has played the game at the top level rather than those who have done nothing and I'll leave it there, you bash on though.
its up to the manager to motivate his players in any way he can to try to get the best from them.
I really don't think there are many Hibs fans who didn't think that Hanlon could be a top player. He probably deserved his under 21 caps and probably even the captaincy at that time. Unfortunately he has not progressed and improved or developed as we would have hoped, therefore in my opinion is not a player who is capable of taking us to the next level. He's not a bad player and is a trier who will always give you 100%, of that there is no doubt. But if you are going to build your team around the like of Paul Hanlon, you lack ambition as far as I'm concerned.

Bronson
11-03-2014, 05:54 PM
its up to the manager to motivate his players in any way he can to try to get the best from them.
I really don't think there are many Hibs fans who didn't think that Hanlon could be a top player. He probably deserved his under 21 caps and probably even the captaincy at that time. Unfortunately he has not progressed and improved or developed as we would have hoped, therefore in my opinion is not a player who is capable of taking us to the next level. He's not a bad player and is a trier who will always give you 100%, of that there is no doubt. But if you are going to build your team around the like of Paul Hanlon, you lack ambition as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think you've been to ER much this season, he's been our best player this season, come on leaps and bounds.

Jonnyboy
11-03-2014, 07:40 PM

Are you saying TB lacks ambition?

Cheer up Bestie, I see James McPake is back in full training so you'll soon be able to turn your attentions on him :wink:

RIP
11-03-2014, 11:05 PM

I think it's time to leave this lad to witter on chaps. Two dozen posts knocking Paul Hanlon and he hasn't made a credible point yet.

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 12:02 AM
I think it's time to leave this lad to witter on chaps. Two dozen posts knocking Paul Hanlon and he hasn't made a credible point yet.
Your eyes painted on chum? Two dozen?

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 12:05 AM
[/B]

Are you saying TB lacks ambition?

Cheer up Bestie, I see James McPake is back in full training so you'll soon be able to turn your attentions on him :wink:
Wouldn't think that would be a worry. Can't see him getting a game.

truehibernian
12-03-2014, 12:25 AM

Did a sterling job when he arrived and fought the good fight - cant fault him for his efforts and galvanising a poor squad. Should bite the bullet and retire though, he's not going to play again - and then buy a season ticket at Parkheid !

RIP Bestie
12-03-2014, 02:56 AM

Two of our longest serving players. Who has actually made any bids for these great players?

scoopyboy
12-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Two of our longest serving players. Who has actually made any bids for these great players?

Derek McInnes has.

Baker9
12-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Is it true Fulham were interested a few years ago?

I seem to recall Liverpool interest a few years ago as cover for their left full back position. Unlikely that the EPL would consider him as a centre half as he is a bit lightweigh by their standards. Could be a good SPL player for years to come.

cmcd
12-03-2014, 11:15 AM

Me too Steven Reading some of the comments about how bad PH is reminds me about the Tornadoes Every time they lost a game it was Jim Blacks fault yet ALL his fellow defenders rated him highly I also will put my trust in the manager who picks him every week

Jonnyboy
12-03-2014, 10:47 PM

Wont stop you slating him at every opportunity though. Or are you focusing on Hanlon now?

RIP Bestie
13-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Wont stop you slating him at every opportunity though. Or are you focusing on Hanlon now?
I give my opinion on a lot of things. If there is something I want to say about any player I will say it. What's your beef? Do I tell you not to have an opinion on something? No. If you don't like my opinion don't read it. I'll still sleep well.

R'Albin
13-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Derek McInnes has.

When was this?

J-C
13-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Personally I like Hanlon, I think he's a fairly talented player but for the past 3-4 years he's been very soft as a central defender. He definitely looks more assured and also needs some stability at the back, we need to find him a good solid hard partner who can build up an understanding for the next good few years, he's another player who's career hasn't been helped by the countless crap managers.

My_Wife_Camille
13-03-2014, 02:03 PM
When was this?

Don't know for sure but my guess would be that he made a bid for him before he signed him.

inglisavhibs
13-03-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't think you've been to ER much this season, he's been our best player this season, come on leaps and bounds.

Hanlon will be one of the few players Butcher will have pencilled in for next season. On this seasons form he is one we would find difficult to replace.

RIP Bestie
13-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Don't know for sure but my guess would be that he made a bid for him before he signed him.
Eh?

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I give my opinion on a lot of things. If there is something I want to say about any player I will say it. What's your beef? Do I tell you not to have an opinion on something? No. If you don't like my opinion don't read it. I'll still sleep well.

:faf: crack on

silverhibee
13-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Did a sterling job when he arrived and fought the good fight - cant fault him for his efforts and galvanising a poor squad. Should bite the bullet and retire though, he's not going to play again - and then buy a season ticket at Parkheid !

He will be looking for comps from Sparky.

Ronniekirk
13-03-2014, 08:24 PM
His Beef is Goulash and why does that matter :wink:

RIP Bestie
13-03-2014, 10:42 PM
:faf: crack on
WTF is that about? What age are you? Extremely childish if you ask me

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 10:44 PM
WTF is that about? What age are you? Extremely childish if you ask me

Behave yerself. Slagging off players for fun is childish in the extreme.

Sleep well

RIP Bestie
13-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Behave yerself. Slagging off players for fun is childish in the extreme.

Sleep well
you need to learn the difference between slagging off and giving opinion. Over 24'000 posts and I've not really noticed you before. You must have a lot of interesting things to say. Night.

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 10:52 PM
you need to learn the difference between slagging off and giving opinion. Over 24'000 posts and I've not really noticed you before. You must have a lot of interesting things to say. Night.

:faf: :bye:

Saorsa
13-03-2014, 10:54 PM
you need to learn the difference between slagging off and giving opinion. Over 24'000 posts and I've not really noticed you before. You must have a lot of interesting things to say. Night.This post makes me laugh :hilarious

Jonnyboy
13-03-2014, 10:55 PM
This post makes me laugh :hilarious

Me too :wink:

RIP Bestie
13-03-2014, 11:05 PM
This post makes me laugh :hilarious
Oh here's the old pals act. Playground stuff. :greengrin

Steven_Hibs
14-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Hanlon will be one of the few players Butcher will have pencilled in for next season. On this seasons form he is one we would find difficult to replace.

If that's the case, I won't be renewing next season. I want 2 no nonsense CB's at least!

Steven_Hibs
14-03-2014, 11:49 AM

No one has, no one will. If these lads were so called talents, they'd have been snapped up a long time ago

J-C
14-03-2014, 12:20 PM
If that's the case, I won't be renewing next season. I want 2 no nonsense CB's at least!

You really only need one no nonsense CH, Collins had a pairing of Jones and Hogg, I see Hanlon similar to Hogg in he's a ball playing CH with a decent football brain, it's just a Pity McPake's injuries have been so bad as I think that pairing would've been spot on for us this past 2 years.

Saorsa
14-03-2014, 12:30 PM
No one has, no one will. If these lads were so called talents, they'd have been snapped up a long time agoAre you a failed CH that used tae be on Hibs books when he got the gig instead?

or did you ask him out on a date and he said sorry pal, it's no my thing? :greengrin

Before he was injured he was MOTM or MOTM contender in about 5 or 6 games previous tae that injury yet there wisnae a single post from you, I wonder why?. If your opinions were balanced they might be worth something, instead you come across as a sad bitter individual with an axe tae grind. About 99% of your posts on here are on him and you (and a certain few others) would have nowt tae post about if he wisnae here.

If that's the case, I won't be renewing next season. I want 2 no nonsense CB's at least!Rather have him in the team than player haters at the games.

thank **** TB kens what's gaun on :thumbsup:

inglisavhibs
14-03-2014, 01:22 PM

you won't be renewing then.

Bronson
14-03-2014, 01:22 PM

So you'd rather 2 Michael Nelsons than 2 Paul Hanlons? The mind boggles.

silverhibee
14-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Hanlon will be first name on the team sheet next season, great pro and and has never let Hibs down, players make mistakes it's part of football, a pre-season under Butcher and i expect Hanlon to be captaining the team next season.

Possibly POTY for Hibs.

The Sea-gull
14-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Hanlon will be first name on the team sheet next season, great pro and and has never let Hibs down, players make mistakes it's part of football, a pre-season under Butcher and i expect Hanlon to be captaining the team next season.

Possibly POTY for Hibs.

He's definitely a leading POTY candidate at Hibs but not sure that is much to write home about this season. A little bit like two years ago when Lewis Stevenson won it by default for being the least shight.

I like Hanlon though and the only time I have seen him have a bad game this season was v Dundee United a few weeks back when he had a stinker. All the old concerns I had about Hanlon came back that night. He looked weak, in need of bulking up, mentally gone, nervous and was bullied too easily by Cifci.

Think the key for Hanlon is to be played with the right partner. He has suffered by us never having a consistently decent centre half to pair him with on a consistent basis. I think he'd be an even better player if he got to play alongside a Andy Webster, Mark Reynolds, Russell Anderson or a Stephen McManus type centre half.

leggeto
14-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Can't we just have two CBs who knows when to control the ball and then look then pass,this no nosence hoofing when not under any pressure does my head in,I know there is times you have to hoof it but id rather have a couple of sauzees who like to put there foot on the ball

Beefster
14-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Possibly POTY for Hibs.

Hanlon isn't captain material at the moment. If Nelson was any good, he'd be perfect for captain. As would Thomson and McPake, if they ever play again. Other than that, there aren't many potential captains at the club IMHO.