PDA

View Full Version : McFadden applause

hibeesjoe
08-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Noticed a few Hibs fans applauded him when he was subbed. Was this a respect thing because he played for Scotland or am I totally missing something. Thought he done well today and walked past our defense a couple of times.

Billy Whizz
08-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Noticed a few Hibs fans applauded him when he was subbed. Was this a respect thing because he played for Scotland or am I totally missing something. Thought he done well today and walked past our defense a couple of times.

I saw this from the East. Hibs fans applauding him, and he applauded back. Well done to all the Hibs fans in the West who did this

SaulGoodman
08-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Think you answered your own question there

DaveF
08-03-2014, 06:59 PM
There was a fair bit of applause from the west. Quite why, I have no idea.

The guy was doing his best to beat us, so what he did to deserve that ovation is beyond me.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Fairplay to the fans and him.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2014, 07:20 PM

The guy was doing his best to beat us, so what he did to deserve that ovation is beyond me.

So much hate, so little time. :greengrin

wearethehibs
08-03-2014, 07:25 PM
I think some Hibs fans are confused, applauding opposition players and booing our own.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I didn't get this at all.

Decent player but he's not exactly a Scottish footballing legend.

hibs4thecup1988
08-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I think some Hibs fans are confused, applauding opposition players and booing our own.

Personally I applauded the number 25. Thought he played really well and I appreciate players playing well and entertaining me.

O'Rourke3
08-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Personally I applauded the number 25. Thought he played really well and I appreciate players playing well and entertaining me.

This- or I nearly did. Didn't quite have it in me .....

Billy Whizz
08-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Ainsworth

LioNeilMessi
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Maybe the fans in the West were just happy to see Motherwell's best player (or one of them) taken off :dunno:

MagicSwirlingShip
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM

I disagree. His goals against France and the winner against Holland at Hampden are two of the best moments of Scottish International Football over the past 10 years.

I gave him a well deserved applause because he absolutely strolled the game and was a class above anyone else on the pitch :agree:

Pretty Boy
08-03-2014, 07:37 PM

He was lively and scored a great goal, ably assisted by our centre back with the turning speed of pasteurised milk.

Wonder what his contract situation is??

GreenCastle
08-03-2014, 07:37 PM

It was a little strange as like you say he's not exactly a legend - scored a memorable goal against France being the moment that sticks out for most.

I don't think it was a bad thing to do it today but more confusing - especially when we were losing 2v1.

McFadden I actually thought had a poor game - he played well for about 15 mins in 2nd half but was hardly involved 1st half.

skipster7
08-03-2014, 07:40 PM
He's been about the only guy who could get you of your seat for Scotland for many moons. Think thats why the applause happened. Hibs class.

JimBHibees
08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
He's been about the only guy who could get you of your seat for Scotland for many moons. Think thats why the applause happened. Hibs class.

Agree he is a class act and his ability should be appreciated. A bit of sportsmanship is good as there is so little of it about.

GreenCastle
08-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Agree he is a class act and his ability should be appreciated. A bit of sportsmanship is good as there is so little of it about.

:agree:

Bronson
08-03-2014, 08:09 PM

Think that's Lionel Ainsworth. Tore us apart today, his goal was a beauty as well but I only find hibs players doing that entertaining, not opposing players.

Only time I can remember applauding an opposing player was the boy for Stranraer when he scored a screamer to make it 4-2 this season the league cup. We were pretty comfortable at the time and it was a cracking finish, especially from a part-time player.

Bay Area Hibees
08-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Agree mate excellent player that never did the easy thing and signed for ugly sisters. Played heart out for Scotland.

Well done to those that applauded him.

QUOTE=MagicSwirlingShip;3926038]I disagree. His goals against France and the winner against Holland at Hampden are two of the best moments of Scottish International Football over the past 10 years.

I gave him a well deserved applause because he absolutely strolled the game and was a class above anyone else on the pitch :agree:[/QUOTE]

Boyle89
08-03-2014, 08:13 PM
They almost threw that game away with that sub. He waltzed past us at times. Can understand why some may have applauded him. In saying that, in the game at Motherwell he was a little scrote.

AndyB_70
08-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Thought he was excellent today and that goal against France will live long in my memory for the strike, for the celebration in the stadium and a fantastic night in Paris. It was right up there with Darren Jackson's goal against Anderlecht celebration wise. Strolled through the game today and some of his touches were brilliant.

bigstu
08-03-2014, 08:15 PM
It showed how classy some of the supporters are, he may be a motherwell player but he played really well & deserved the applause. Football doesn't always have to be about abusing the opposition. You are allowed to appreciate good play from another team.

Billychaotic182
08-03-2014, 08:21 PM

His goal against France is one of my best memory's as a Scottish fan so I disagree.

greenlex
08-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Applauding the opposition off the park? Butcher wants to make the place a fortress. He must be tearing his hair out. FFS.

Stantons Angel
08-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Maybe the fans in the West were just happy to see Motherwell's best player (or one of them) taken off :dunno:

i applauded him as he came off because id just seen him ease through the game and not break sweat!

He is an accomplished player who showed all the deft touches and fliks an experienced player of his class should do. He let the ball do the work, used his body well and found his team mates constantly.

It just goes to show Hibs supporters do appreciate a good player!

DaveF
Applauding the opposition off the park? Butcher wants to make the place a fortress. He must be tearing his hair out. FFS.

I agree Lex. Too soft all the way through our bl00dy club.

SmashinGlass

I was about to post something similar. I don't care who he is, the fact of the matter is that he was an opponent in a competitive match. At no point should we have been giving him applause nor plaudits. He should have been given as rough a time as possible. When the match is over, I'd have no issue. but not during.

Pretty Boy
08-03-2014, 08:27 PM
His goal against France is one of my best memory's as a Scottish fan so I disagree.

It won me over 2 grand as i had £30 on him as 1st goalscorer and Scotland to win 1-0.

Never seen a pub go as mental as the one I was in when that goal hit the net.

Still didn't applaud him today though.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2014, 08:27 PM

If you think that was bad today, just wait until Leigh Griffiths makes his next appearance at Easter Road! :wink:

Thecat23
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I applauded Ainsworth when he came off. What I appreciate is talent and entreatment his goal even though it's for Motherwell was class. Thought he played well. I'm not only a Hibs fan I'm a fan of good football and he deserved to be applauded if you ask me.

Faddy didn't think he was anything great today did cause us bother though and can see why fans also applauded him.

Brooster
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm not surprised we are such a soft touch these days. Applauding the opposition. ..toughen up ffs. No wonder other teams love coming to Easter Road.

Winston Ingram
08-03-2014, 08:29 PM

I applauded him. Best player on the pitch:agree:

Billychaotic182
08-03-2014, 08:29 PM
It won me over 2 grand as i had £30 on him as 1st goalscorer and Scotland to win 1-0.

Never seen a pub go as mental as the one I was in when that goal hit the net.

Still didn't applaud him today though.

I through my pint into the air by accedent and to this day I don't know if it landed as there was no smash. Place was bouncing

3pm
08-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm not surprised we are such a soft touch these days. Applauding the opposition. ..toughen up ffs. No wonder other teams love coming to Easter Road.

:aok:

Winston Ingram
08-03-2014, 08:31 PM
I disagree. His goals against France and the winner against Holland at Hampden are two of the best moments of Scottish International Football over the past 10 years.

I gave him a well deserved applause because he absolutely strolled the game and was a class above anyone else on the pitch :agree:

weonlywon6-2
08-03-2014, 08:36 PM

this.well done to the fans that did this.hibs class shines through

seven nowt
08-03-2014, 08:50 PM
I applauded #25 as well for his goal. He took that really well. Showed some composure and class to take his goal the way he did. Well done to Ainsworth. Although, I thought we were the better team on the day and unlucky not to get the 3pts.

I rate McFadden and he's ripped us a few times before but thought he was quieter today.

h1bs4life
08-03-2014, 08:51 PM

Agee with this 100% ,couldnt believe it when it happened, why the would anyone want to clap an opposition player who had been trying there best to beat us.

Danderhall Hibs
08-03-2014, 09:03 PM
The applause was for him going off, not coming on. Hardly makes a difference to the way he plays.

Some folk are incredible like.

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 09:27 PM
It's a waste of time trying to explain to the folk who are questioning why he was applauded and then using reasons like toughen up, make this place a fortress etc to belittle the applause.

These type of people wouldn't even begin to understand because it is beyond their mindsets and always will be.....................I pity them I really do.

DaveF
08-03-2014, 09:33 PM
It's a waste of time trying to explain to the folk who are questioning why he was applauded and then using reasons like toughen up, make this place a fortress etc to belittle the applause.

These type of people wouldn't even begin to understand because it is beyond their mindsets and always will be.....................I pity them I really do.

haha, what a load of rubbish - albeit a good fishing attempt.

For those applauding McFadden after appreciating his alleged good performance, I hope your consistency shines through the next time a Hearts player has a good game at ER. It might be a while before that happens again right enough :greengrin but do remember to give them a hearty clap off the park.

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 09:35 PM
haha, what a load of rubbish - albeit a good fishing attempt.

For those applauding McFadden after appreciating his alleged good performance, I hope your consistency shines through the next time a Hearts player has a good game at ER. It might be a while before that happens again right enough :greengrin but do remember to give them a hearty clap off the park.

Not fishing, describing you and your kind perfectly.

DaveF
08-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Not fishing, describing you and your kind perfectly.

Whatever.

Care to address my point about how you'll react when a Hearts or Rangers player next has a great game at ER?

Just so I know how to describe you and your kind when someone spots a Hibs fan warmly applauding them off the park and starts a thread about it....

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Whatever.

Care to address my point about how you'll react when a Hearts or Rangers player next has a great game at ER?

Just so I know how to describe you and your kind when someone spots a Hibs fan warmly applauding them off the park and starts a thread about it....

The opposition, player or indeed the occasion does not alter the sentiment at all.

DaveF
08-03-2014, 10:11 PM
The opposition, player or indeed the occasion does not alter the sentiment at all.

Right.

So just to clear on this. Should Ryan Stevenson score a double and run the show if \ when we play them at ER in the next month or so, you will applaud him off the park?

greenlex
08-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Right.

So just to clear on this. Should Ryan Stevenson score a double and run the show if \ when we play them at ER in the next month or so, you will applaud him off the park? You're nibbling if not on the hook Dave. Leave it man. Our type should know our place. :greengrin Let him get on with pitying us.

Bishop Hibee
08-03-2014, 10:16 PM
I thought McFadden was rubbiish and commented to my fellow ST holding mates that Motherwell was the only place he could get a game. Ainsworth was much better for them and I didn't applaud him off.

DaveF
08-03-2014, 10:18 PM
You're nibbling if not on the hook Dave. Leave it man. Our type should know our place. :greengrin Let him get on with pitying us.

Not at all. I just want him to say YES to loving Ryan Stevenson :greengrin

greenlex
08-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Not at all. I just want him to say YES to loving Ryan Stevenson :greengrin :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Right.

So just to clear on this. Should Ryan Stevenson score a double and run the show if \ when we play them at ER in the next month or so, you will applaud him off the park?

Rather than a scenario how about standing on the terraces (Kop) in 89 celebrating with your mates because your team are 0-1 in a league decider that means they have won the league unless they concede another goal in the dying minutes which is highly unlikely given their home record and outstanding team. Lo and behold your team concedes another goal in the dying minutes, loses the game 0-2 and the league title before your very eyes. Heartbreaking, gutted we were to say the least but guess what....................................we applauded the opposition, gave them a standing ovation no less. Mad eh??

Ronniekirk
08-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Nothing to do with post but did your laddie witness that game today Mines decided for first time this season he wasn't going .

greenlex
08-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Rather than a scenario how about standing on the terraces (Kop) in 89 celebrating with your mates because your team are 0-1 in a league decider that means they have won the league unless they concede another goal in the dying minutes which is highly unlikely given their home record and outstanding team. Lo and behold your team concedes another goal in the dying minutes, loses the game 0-2 and the league title before your very eyes. Heartbreaking, gutted we were to say the least but guess what....................................we applauded the opposition, gave them a standing ovation no less. Mad eh?? So is that a yes or a no?

DaveF
08-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Rather than a scenario how about standing on the terraces (Kop) in 89 celebrating with your mates because your team are 0-1 in a league decider that means they have won the league unless they concede another goal in the dying minutes which is highly unlikely given their home record and outstanding team. Lo and behold your team concedes another goal in the dying minutes, loses the game 0-2 and the league title before your very eyes. Heartbreaking, gutted we were to say the least but guess what....................................we applauded the opposition, gave them a standing ovation no less. Mad eh??

:faf: More swerve in that post than a Ronaldo free kick.

You truly are a slaver at times :blah:

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Nothing to do with post but did your laddie witness that game today Mines decided for first time this season he wasn't going .

No he missed it though not through choice.

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 10:30 PM
:faf: More swerve in that post than a Ronaldo free kick.

You truly are a slaver at times :blah:

You've just proved my OP on the subject to be correct :top marks

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 10:32 PM
So is that a yes or a no?

What do you think Sherlock :rolleyes:

DaveF
08-03-2014, 10:36 PM
You've just proved my OP on the subject to be correct :top marks

Aye, I've been well and truly owned in this exchange eh :faf: :faf: :faf:

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Aye, I've been well and truly owned in this exchange eh :faf: :faf: :faf:

:rolleyes: yawn

SaulGoodman
08-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Grow up :na na:

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Said at the time that there would be a thread on here tonight about it

eastterrace
08-03-2014, 10:51 PM
It was a little strange as like you say he's not exactly a legend - scored a memorable goal against France being the moment that sticks out for most.

I don't think it was a bad thing to do it today but more confusing - especially when we were losing 2v1.

McFadden I actually thought had a poor game - he played well for about 15 mins in 2nd half but was hardly involved 1st half.

sorry mate disagree he was a class act far better than what we offered but we could have a diamond in stanton hopefully

LaMotta
08-03-2014, 10:54 PM
The only sad thing for me about this is that we were not applauding him off the pitch today as a Hibs player.

Our signing policy has been rank over the last few years if we really wanted to challenge then we needed to be getting guys like Mcfadden, McManus, flood and barry robson. Internationals.

Liam Craig, James Collins and Nelson? We are in the table where we should be.

greenlex
08-03-2014, 10:54 PM
What do you think Sherlock :rolleyes:It really doesn't matter what I think. You've made that much clear. Answer the question.

davym7062
08-03-2014, 10:56 PM
The only sad thing for me about this is that we were not applauding him off the pitch today as a Hibs player.

Our signing policy has been rank over the last few years if we really wanted to challenge then we needed to be getting guys like Mcfadden, McManus, flood and barry robson. Internationals.

this :thumbsup:

weonlywon6-2
08-03-2014, 10:57 PM
do people not just get the simple fact its a respect thing

Pretty Boy
08-03-2014, 10:59 PM
do people not just get the simple fact its a respect thing

This is it for me.

I didn't applaud but assume those who did weren't applauding his performance today but rather what he did for Scotland in the past.

The same as the Dundee fans who applauded Griffiths last season or the Aberdeen fans who always used to applaud Jim Leighton when he played for Hibs.

basehibby
09-03-2014, 12:27 AM

This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmtB7rBs3M

basehibby
09-03-2014, 12:29 AM

....and this!

bookert
09-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Maybe because he was the best football player on the park.

Springbank
09-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Applauding a skilful ball player from the opposition is a surefire sign you are a serious & proper football club

Other examples include Liverpool (applauding shelvey's goal) and Barcelona fans applauded an opponent's (winning) goal at camp nou recently.

The game needs ball players. Clubs like Hibs are a natural appreciative home for these guys (and let's face it we've all been sick of the likes of paceless & guileless players like palsson , soares, jimmy Scott etc)

The likes of McFadden are typical Hibs type players and well done to those who applauded him today

Tyler Durden
09-03-2014, 08:46 AM
He was lively and scored a great goal, ably assisted by our centre back with the turning speed of pasteurised milk.

Wonder what his contract situation is??

Yes he is one to look at in the summer or now. Made me chuckle when he was subbed and the announcer pronounced his name as "Lee-o-Nell Ainsworth". Think the guy is from the midlands FFS, doubt he pronounces it like Messi!

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2014, 09:40 AM

I bet this sort of thing never happened when the Famous Five were winning games. Men were men then and........oh wait.

alan1875
09-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Personally, in my generation, McFadden has been far and away the most exciting player to play for Scotland and some of the memories he has provided watching him have been fantastic. No one else could come close to providing that moment of magic, as no one else has looked remotely capable when playing in the dark blue in this generation. What that says about the quality of Scottish football etc. is also irrelevant (before some folk harp on about that too), as he has been the only one to actually do it... It's absolutely a respect thing and has nothing to do with Hibs or opposing players. He gets my respect because he's been a good servant for Scottish football not just because of one game, whether that's against Hibs or not. All IMHO ofcourse :-)

DaveF
09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmtB7rBs3M

Fair enough, if that's your opinion. Personally, I don't go in for that and would seriously doubt you guys would applaud any Hearts, Rangers or Celtc player who once did something good in a Scotland shirt.

Maybe because he was the best football player on the park.

Not in my opinion he wasn't. Ainsworth looked far more dangerous than him and our own Sam Stanton ran at players with pace and good control on several occasions yesterday.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-03-2014, 11:47 AM
I try and get down to a couple of premiership games each season and showing appreciation for opponents is a regular thing down there. Was just watching Goals on Sunday this morning actually and the Leeds fans were applauding Boltons 5th goal against them as it was a cracker(beat 1-5 at home. Dead as a club etc). Just seems to be in Scotland we have such a massive issue with this

snooky
09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Sad day when supporters can't applaud a player of class & skill no matter who they play for.
As long as they have not shown any disrespect to Hibs, then I have no problem with it.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Seems to be the in thing at ER nowadays, standing ovation for the opposition and boo's for the Hibs team, can't have been a respect thing for his time with Scotland as i have never seen or heard it happen before during or after a game with Motherwell

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:15 PM

The West has previous for this.

basehibby
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Seems to be the in thing at ER nowadays, standing ovation for the opposition and boo's for the Hibs team, can't have been a respect thing for his time with Scotland as i have never seen or heard it happen before during or after a game with Motherwell

Aw right Mr brain reader - WTF else do you suppose?!? D'ye think folk were just doing it to annoy you and Davyf? Is that bitter and twisted enough for you?!?

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:25 PM

He had a decent game but never strolled it, far from it, it looked like our players were feared to get stuck in to him, i like Faddy but when he is playing against us he should be getting nothing but dogs abuse from the Hibs fans, not a standing ovation.

DaveF
09-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Aw right Mr brain reader - WTF else do you suppose?!? D'ye think folk were just doing it to annoy you and Davyf? Is that bitter and twisted enough for you?!?

Didn't annoy me BH. I just found it a bit odd that's all. FWIW, I'd agree with silver in that I've never heard McFadden being clapped off by Hibs fans before, either at ER or Fir Park.

Others have said it's because of his good performance on the day rather than a Scotland thing. If so, where was the applause for Partick's Kris Doolan who scored a great goal at ER earlier this season and was later subbed off. Can't recall anything for him.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:37 PM

The only problem guys was he was playing for Motherwell, not Scotland and he was doing his best to get 3 points for his club and we decide to clap him of the park as he gets subbed.

We need to get away from being nice to other teams and start giving our team (Hibs in case anyone has forgotten) our support for 90 minutes, that would be Hibs Class.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
It showed how classy some of the supporters are, he may be a motherwell player but he played really well & deserved the applause. Football doesn't always have to be about abusing the opposition. You are allowed to appreciate good play from another team.

Think i will stick to supporting my own team and keep on giving the opposition as much abuse as i can during games.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:43 PM

And the game hadn't even finished yet, great lift for Motherwell knowing the Hibs fans are on there side too.

marinello59
09-03-2014, 12:45 PM
It was hardly a standing ovation, far more didn't applaud than did. Personally I didn't but I wouldn't criticise those that did.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:48 PM
i applauded him as he came off because id just seen him ease through the game and not break sweat!

He is an accomplished player who showed all the deft touches and fliks an experienced player of his class should do. He let the ball do the work, used his body well and found his team mates constantly.

It just goes to show Hibs supporters do appreciate a good player!

Stop it eh, strolled through the game my arse, every time he made a run he had to have a we lie on the pitch as he was puffing out his backside, as i have said he had a decent game before he went off but lets not get carried away that he had just put in a world class display yesterday.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Said it many times before as this isn't the first time it's happened at ER, just why would you clap a opposition player of the park when there is still the rest of the game to play for or clap a team off the pitch at full time after gubbing us.

Crazy.

skipster7
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
And the game hadn't even finished yet, great lift for Motherwell knowing the Hibs fans are on there side too.
Words fail me.Loved watching him for Scotland, a real maverick.Also wanted him to do well at Everton etc. Never took the usual rantic route as well.Had me off my seat many times at his best so totally knew where the applause came from. How this means this the Motherwell players thought we were on their side i dont know. :confused:Don't get this "soft" argument at all.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:02 PM
this.well done to the fans that did this.hibs class shines through

FFS. Maybe we should just go the full hog and get a statue of Faddy out in the car park.

Spike Mandela
09-03-2014, 01:05 PM
I sit in the West but in all honesty never noticed any applause for McFadden when he went off but folk around me actually applauded Motherwell's skillfully taking second goal. This i find difficult. Later when the game is over ,whilst dissecting the action, I can admire an individual piece of skill but at the time of the game I am more of an " Awww **** off" type of guy.:cb

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Agee with this 100% ,couldnt believe it when it happened, why the would anyone want to clap an opposition player who had been trying there best to beat us.

It's called Hibs Class apparently.

I call it being CONFUSED about which team you are there to support.

skipster7
09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
It was hardly a standing ovation, far more didn't applaud than did. Personally I didn't but I wouldn't criticise those that did.
Exactly, i was in the east but was quite impressed it happened. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of class now and then imo:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2014, 01:10 PM

First and foremost we support football. Going for any other reason would definitely be evidence of confusion.

SaulGoodman
09-03-2014, 01:11 PM
FindAMoanAboutAnything.net

marinello59
09-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Maybe you should have pointed out to the clappers that they weren't fully committed Hibs fans. And they are soft as *****. :agree:

skipster7
09-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Didn't we score twice after the applause ? Seemed to devastate our players.:wink:

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:20 PM

He ran the show in a game at Motherwell last season, can't remember any Hibs fans clapping him of the pitch that day, so why yesterday.

Only if you add some lemon to it.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Words fail me.Loved watching him for Scotland, a real maverick.Also wanted him to do well at Everton etc. Never took the usual rantic route as well.Had me off my seat many times at his best so totally knew where the applause came from. How this means this the Motherwell players thought we were on their side i dont know. :confused:Don't get this "soft" argument at all.

Totally agree with you, loved seeing him in a Scotland top, but he was in a Motherwell top yesterday trying to get 3 points for his club.

LaMotta
09-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Exactly, i was in the east but was quite impressed it happened. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of class now and then imo:agree:

First and foremost we support football. Going for any other reason would definitely be evidence of confusion.

:agree: Good on the people that applauded him.

The confusing thing for me is the people that sit near me every week screaming at and abusing Paul Hanlon and Lewis Stevenson. There are a lot of angry people that go to Easter Road.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Nah, i go to support Hibs so no confusion from me.

skipster7
09-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Totally agree with you, loved seeing him in a Scotland top, but he was in a Motherwell top yesterday trying to get 3 points for his club.
His contribution to the game was finished though so it had no impact whatsoever other than to show a bit appreciation and class imo.

silverhibee
09-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Maybe you should have pointed out to the clappers that they weren't fully committed Hibs fans. And they are soft as *****. :agree:

I wouldn't have been heard for all the clapping going on for McFadden. :greengrin

greenlex
09-03-2014, 01:37 PM
FFS. Maybe we should just go the full hog and get a statue of Faddy out in the car park. :hilarious

greenlex
09-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm watching John Rankin running the show up in Inverness. If he does that at ER next time Ill be right on my feet and clapping like ****. :agree:

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Does anyone think the applause of McFadden had a detrimental effect on the game yesterday, did it inspire Motherwell or make our players think oh FFS we're as soft as sheite why should I bother?

Me, I just thought it was decent honest football fans showing their appreciation and respect for a player they admire for his performance and achievements in the game possibly with regard to his efforts for his country. For the record I didn't applause but was fully appreciative of the reasons why people did.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2014, 02:01 PM
I think most football fans can appreciate genuine talent and class, and even though McFadden played for Motherwell, when he was subbed yesterday some football fans put rivalry aside and applauded someone who has served his country well over many years.

He also never played for either bigots or the gimps, it was obviously easier to do it knowing that too.

Its not something i'd imagine we'd do for everyone, but there are some players who do deserve it like him.

The_Sauz
09-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Next you will be wanting TB to tell the player not to shake hands after a game as we want to make ER a fortress :rolleyes:
So does Hibs fans booing our own players make ER more of a fortress than some Hibs fans applauding an opponent off the park after a good game?

greenlex
09-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Next you will be wanting TB to tell the player not to shake hands after a game as we want to make ER a fortress :rolleyes:
So does Hibs fans booing our own players make ER more of a fortress than some Hibs fans applauding an opponent off the park after a good game? No. No I won't and No. No it won't. Don't really see your point to be honest.

Jamesie
09-03-2014, 03:50 PM
So whether not not we applaud the odd opposition player has an impact on whether Easter Road is a fortress and the result of our games?

Are people really suggestion that on this thread? :rolleyes:

Unseen work
09-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Must fill our players with confidence that some opposition players get more praise of our fans than they do

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Must fill our players with confidence that some opposition players get more praise of our fans than they do

We scored 2 goals after McFadden went off so I don't think it had any effect on our players at all.

I can't believe about 3 dozen people applauding has generated 3 pages of debate.

Mountain out of a molehole as John McGlynn would say.

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 04:09 PM
I think most football fans can appreciate genuine talent and class, and even though McFadden played for Motherwell, when he was subbed yesterday some football fans put rivalry aside and applauded someone who has served his country well over many years.

He also never played for either bigots or the gimps, it was obviously easier to do it knowing that too.

Its not something i'd imagine we'd do for everyone, but there are some players who do deserve it like him.

Agree with this. Some folk are acting as if the hibs fans were in hysterical tears and throwing their knickers at him... It was just a wee bit of clapping, a gesture of respect, and he was decent enough to acknowledge it and reciprocate. It's also not as if this hasn't happened before- I remember Craig Brewster getting applauded off after he had more or less destroyed us with Caley on his return to ER, or even Gazza getting spontaneous applause from the entire East stand after he completed an unbelievable piece of skill ending with a jaw-dropping pass...he also acknowledged the East with a nod and a wave of his hand (a minute later he was getting pelters again, but that moment happened) and there have been others.

Presumably the Real Madrid fans at the Bernabeu who began applauding Ronaldinho in their thousands after he (playing for Barcelona) completed a hat-trick against them and was single-handedly tearing Madrid apart or the tens of thousands of Inter fans who began a sustained period of applause for a Liverpool side destroying them 3-0 at the San Siro are just as "soft" or "deluded" as the Hibs fans who thought McFadden deserved a bit of appreciation yesterday, rival or not.

leither17
09-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Fair enough, if that's your opinion. Personally, I don't go in for that and would seriously doubt you guys would applaud any Hearts, Rangers or Celtc player who once did something good in a Scotland shirt.

Not in my opinion he wasn't. Ainsworth looked far more dangerous than him and our own Sam Stanton ran at players with pace and good control on several occasions yesterday.

I applauded van djyk goal for Celtic against us the other week

The Baldmans Comb
09-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Agree with this. Some folk are acting as if the hibs fans were in hysterical tears and throwing their knickers at him... It was just a wee bit of clapping, a gesture of respect, and he was decent enough to acknowledge it and reciprocate. It's also not as if this hasn't happened before- I remember Craig Brewster getting applauded off after he had more or less destroyed us with Caley on his return to ER, or even Gazza getting spontaneous applause from the entire East stand after he completed an unbelievable piece of skill ending with a jaw-dropping pass...he also acknowledged the East with a nod and a wave of his hand (a minute later he was getting pelters again, but that moment happened) and there have been others.

Presumably the Real Madrid fans at the Bernabeu who began applauding Ronaldinho in their thousands after he (playing for Barcelona) completed a hat-trick against them and was single-handedly tearing Madrid apart or the tens of thousands of Inter fans who began a sustained period of applause for a Liverpool side destroying them 3-0 at the San Siro are just as "soft" or "deluded" as the Hibs fans who thought McFadden deserved a bit of appreciation yesterday, rival or not.

That's a very accurate and perceptive summary.

It was spontaneous applause out of respect to a very talented mecurial type of player who is slowly dying out in football as power and hard running now dominate.

It was 15 secs of my time very well spent.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I applauded van djyk goal for Celtic against us the other week

So that's why they beat us, you gave them an enormous boost of confidence whilst at the same time showed Hibs to be as soft as ******, you may as well have left the fortress gates open!

Hibercelona
09-03-2014, 04:23 PM
The applause was for him going off, not coming on. Hardly makes a difference to the way he plays.

Some folk are incredible like.

Even when you're only applauding one player from the opposition team, it can give the whole team a boost. It doesn't matter if they're coming on or going off.

Some people call it "classy", I call it "soft".

Pretty Boy
09-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Even when you're only applauding one player from the opposition team, it can give the whole team a boost. It doesn't matter if they're coming on or going off.

I'll say again we scored 2 goals after that sub.

If it gave Motherwell a boost it was a really strange one.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 04:25 PM
]Even when you're only applauding one player from the opposition team, it can give the whole team a boost.[/B] It doesn't matter if they're coming on or going off.

Really?

Alfred E Newman
09-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Applauding opposition players who produced an outstanding piece of skill or scored a fantastic goal is a throw back to the 50s or 60s when there was no segregation ,crowds were bigger and a trip to the football was a far better experience than it is now.
We don't want to go back to those days do we , so let's stamp this kind of behaviour out now. rolleyes:

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Our defending yesterday was soft. Appreciating a skilful player shows class.

Not difficult to tell the two apart.

Seveno
09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
I applauded because he was a class apart from anyone else on the pitch. I was also delighted that he was coming off before he did any more damage to us.

I hope that young Sammy Stanton was watching and learning. He has the often potential to reach that level.

DanHFC1875
09-03-2014, 07:51 PM
anyone that doesn't understand why Scottish football fans would appreciate a good performance from McFadden is beyond me!!! I for one would entertain the idea of Hibs signing a fit McFadden. :aok:

Even if he remains at 'well or elsewhere, I'd like to see him get back to his best and back in the Scotland squad. :not worth

Swedish hibee
09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
I just wanted to laugh at this thread. Really, do people actually have a true problem with this?

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AHaGIzZ1MA

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7EX4PnP3PE

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 10:12 PM
As the previous two posts show (although there are loads of other examples) if anyone`s bothered by Hibs fans being big enough to give an opposing player a few seconds of applause to show a bit of respect, then don`t worry, we are in good company.

Allant1981
09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
I applauded because he was a class apart from anyone else on the pitch. I was also delighted that he was coming off before he did any more damage to us.

I hope that young Sammy Stanton was watching and learning. He has the often potential to reach that level.

I hope he wasnt watching and learning

The Green Goblin
09-03-2014, 10:15 PM
...not forgetting the applause at Easter Road for Alan Stubbs, coming on as a sub after battling cancer.

Hibs class.

greenlex
09-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I'll say again we scored 2 goals after that sub.

If it gave Motherwell a boost it was a really strange one.

We might have scored three and not conceded .

Danderhall Hibs
09-03-2014, 10:31 PM
We might have scored three and not conceded .

:hilarious

Just going to watch Sportscene the now to see if their analysis says the turning point was when a few fans applauded McFadden as he left the park.

:hilarious

itslegaltender
10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
McFadden is a Scottish football legend, would walk into our team. Definite Hibs Class.

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2014, 09:08 AM
I applaud good goals weteher scored for or scored against us,(just a couple of claps mind you), Hibs class applauding an opposition player off the park, I don get folk that want to see Hibs play good attractive fitba and then cant appreciate opposition teams or players who do, apart for wanting to see a Hibs win, its what we are also paying our money for, to be entertained.Maybe I´m getting older and more appreciative.

Jamesie
10-03-2014, 10:05 AM

There seems to be a few people on this thread trying to introduce a degree of unnecessary tribalism (we have more than enough of that already!) to Scottish football which I don't really see as necessary or find there is anything to be gained by. Each to their own though!

Thecat23
10-03-2014, 10:16 AM
For me I appreciate good goals and good football. If the opposition do any of these I have no issue applauding them. If it was Hearts I Prob wouldn't no. Because it's our main rival. In fact if it was something special I might. Like I say I go and hope Hibs win each week and like to be entertained while there.

Hibs haven't done that in a long time so when something good happens I've no issue clapping off a player or a cracking goal.

Folk getting worked up need to ****ing relax a bit. It's not having any impact on the game so I'm not buying into that bull****. It's just a game and I'm we're not applauding a serial killer or anything.