PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

hibsbollah
08-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Overall I thought Motherwell were the better team, and despite the last minute disaster we have to be happy with the point. The first 45 minutes was truly woeful, but we improved massively second half and Butcher probably deserves credit for what was clearly a verbal kicking. Some good individual performances from our defenders in an attacking sense, so I score them ok individually, but collectively the defending was poor. I left feeling entertained though, which made a nice change:flag:

Williams 5

McGivern 6
Hanlon 7 some crucial interceptions. MOTM.
Nelson 6
Forster 7 Improved after a poor start. Crucial goal but should have scored another. Some great deliveries.

Stevenson 6 the usual effort
Craig 3 Absolutely woeful again. That first half especially was like playing with a man down. An anti-captain.
Stanton 6
Cairney 7 a revelation late on, vital assist and came on to a game after a slow start.

Haynes 5 first touch poor today.
Collins 5 How he was voted MOTM I have no idea. Still unimpressive.

Subs
Heffernan Great finish. Well done.
Handling defended stoutly.

neil7908
08-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Williams 6 - Nothing he could really do about any of the goals. Cant remember him making a genuine save all game

Forster 6 - Nice to have a full back going forward regularly but still looks suspect defensively.
Nelson 5 - Got a goal but just looks slow and his distribution is so poor.
Hanlon 7/8 - Unfair on him to be part of a defence that lost 3 goals as individually, he looked very assured.
McGivern 6 - did ok

Cairney 9 - Can't really ask for more than setting up 3 goals. Looked dangerous when on the ball and I think he really benefits from having a RB in Forster who actually gets up and wing and supports him. Just needs to find a bit of consistency
Stanton 8 - Despite being so young he still looks the most composed and assured player in our squad. Really promising prospect who should already be the first name on our teamsheet. We just need to sure he isn't burnt out
Craig 6 - He was fine, some idiot near me was giving him grief in the first half, even when he got a head knock and looked like he might be in some bother but I thought he did ok.
Stevenson 5 - Thought he was poor

Collins 7 - Always wants the ball and got in some dangerous positions. Just needs to be a bit sharper in front of goal
Haynes 5 - Offered very little going forward. Heff must be starting the next game

Tyler Durden
08-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Williams 6 - could he have done better at 3rd goal?

McGivern 5 - awful awful distribution. I'd move him to CB
Nelson 5 - costing us goals far too regularly, needs dropped
Hanlon 6
Forster 7 - good spells going forward, not sure how culpable for 3rd?

Stevenson 4 - like playing with a second left back. Poorest in a while, would move him back to LB
Craig 5 - poor again, doesn't want the ball
Stanton 7
Cairney 8 - mixed bag but at least tries to beat his man. Laid on 2/3 sitters

Haynes 4
Collins 5 - effort as always but no quality. Lucky to last 90

R'Albin
08-03-2014, 05:11 PM
How was Harris when he came on?

Tyler Durden
08-03-2014, 05:14 PM
How was Harris when he came on?

We rarely got the ball to him so did very little. Few crosses, kept possession mainly and no defensive mistakes but nothing spectacular going forward either.

Up The Bracket
08-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Williams - 6

McGivern - 6
Hanlon - 8
Nelson - 4
Forster - 7

Stevenson - 6
Craig - 6
Stanton - 7.5
Cairney - 8

Collins - 7
Haynes - 3

wookie70
08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Williams 6 - not much to do

McGivern 6 - defended well but some shocking distribution
Hanlon 6 - good battle with Sutton and some decent tackles but could have been in a better position for first goal
Nelson 6 - An extra point for his goal but made to look foolish for Motherwell's second and was poor for their first too
Forster 6 Another goal and some great crosses but his main job is defending and he was poor at that today. Teams are targeting the area between Jordan and Nelson and we lose lots of goals down that side.

Stevenson 5 - the effort was there as ever but some poor deliveries and lost the ball too much for me.
Craig 3 I thought he started better but as the game wore on he reverted to form. He needs dropped and should never be our captain
Stanton 7 - Excellent first half and looks great on the ball. Brave and also works really hard
Cairney 7 - My MOTM. Assists and some great runs. He had a brilliant spell in the second half and was unlucky to pick up a knock late on

Haynes 5 - Nothing went right for him today
Collins 6 - He must have hypnotic powers to have received MOTM. Got into good positions and was unlucky with a good flick in the second half. General play was poor though and had a good few chances without managing a goal.

Subs
Heffernan Great finish and will be getting a bald patch through scratching his head wondering why he doesn't get a start
Handling not much time
Harris Not really involved too much

Ref - I thought he had misplaced his whistle as he was reluctant to give a foul throughout. Missed a shocking challenge on Stanton in the first half but over the piece I thought he had a decent game and we were rewarded with some entertainment for a change

hibee_girl
08-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Williams 6 - didn't really have a lot to do

Forster 6 - bit iffy today but he got another goal and looked good when he did go forward
Hanlon 7 -made some great challenges today
Nelson 5 - not his best, again
McGivern 6 - defended well and had some much better crosses into the box today

Cairney 7 - great from him today, he does need to be a bit stronger though as he's shoved off the ball far too easily
Stanton 8 - my MOM
Craig 3 - he may as well have not been there in the first half, he actually stood still and watched the ball go by him at one point. Improved in the 2nd half though
Stevenson 5 - not his best but he still gave everything he had

Haynes 5 - was impressed with him last week but not today, he's far too greedy. He had at least 3 opportunities to play team mates through but chose to do it himself instead which ended up with us losing the ball
Collins 6 - worked hard, had a few decent chances. Not MOM but not as bad as some are making out.

R'Albin
08-03-2014, 06:14 PM
We rarely got the ball to him so did very little. Few crosses, kept possession mainly and no defensive mistakes but nothing spectacular going forward either.

Sounds pretty uninspiring again. I hope Butcher can find some way of sorting out Harris's pyschological issues because he seemed like he was going to be one of our best talents in years.

The Harp Awakes
08-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Williams 6 - not much to do

McGivern 6 - defended well but some shocking distribution
Hanlon 6 - good battle with Sutton and some decent tackles but could have been in a better position for first goal
Nelson 6 - An extra point for his goal but made to look foolish for Motherwell's second and was poor for their first too
Forster 6 Another goal and some great crosses but his main job is defending and he was poor at that today. Teams are targeting the area between Jordan and Nelson and we lose lots of goals down that side.

Stevenson 5 - the effort was there as ever but some poor deliveries and lost the ball too much for me.
Craig 3 I thought he started better but as the game wore on he reverted to form. He needs dropped and should never be our captain
Stanton 7 - Excellent first half and looks great on the ball. Brave and also works really hard
Cairney 7 - My MOTM. Assists and some great runs. He had a brilliant spell in the second half and was unlucky to pick up a knock late on

Haynes 5 - Nothing went right for him today
Collins 6 - He must have hypnotic powers to have received MOTM. Got into good positions and was unlucky with a good flick in the second half. General play was poor though and had a good few chances without managing a goal.

Subs
Heffernan Great finish and will be getting a bald patch through scratching his head wondering why he doesn't get a start
Handling not much time
Harris Not really involved too much

Ref - I thought he had misplaced his whistle as he was reluctant to give a foul throughout. Missed a shocking challenge on Stanton in the first half but over the piece I thought he had a decent game and we were rewarded with some entertainment for a change

Agreed. It seems to be that Butcher goes for players that will run all day like Collins. Heff would likely have a starting place in any SPFL team with the exception of Celtic and possibly Aberdeen. How he is out of the picture in such a rank rotten Hibs team is quite simply mental.

Brightside
08-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Couldn't make the game today as spent the day at HTC! Great do hear that Hanlon put last week behind him and was back to his normal self. It would appear that Craig needs to be dropped.

JimBHibees
08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Agreed. It seems to be that Butcher goes for players that will run all day like Collins. Heff would likely have a starting place in any SPFL team with the exception of Celtic and possibly Aberdeen. How he is out of the picture in such a rank rotten Hibs team is quite simply mental.

Collins hasn't been playing recently. He isn't the best player in the world however we look better with him and another up front than just one up.

JimBHibees
08-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Couldn't make the game today as spent the day at HTC! Great do hear that Hanlon put last week behind him and was back to his normal self. It would appear that Craig needs to be dropped.

Hanlon was poor in the first half didn't IMO get close enough for the first goal though second half thought he was Hibs best player.

lucky
08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Williams 6 had nothing to do but thought he could have done better at third

Forster 5 scored 1 but got skinned for 1st and 3rd
Nelson 5 always tries but his passing is awful
Hanlon 6 good second half
McGirven 5 really poor concentration for 1st

Cairney 7 got us back into game with driving runs and crosses
Stanton 6 flirted in and out of the game
Craig 5 of the boil just now but nowhere near as bad as some are saying
Stevenson 6 usual effort

Collins 6 ran his heart out
Hayes 5 not sure if he is crap or greedy

GreenOnions
08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Great credit to the players today for showing good character and determination. We were not playing well and you could sense the lack of confidence in the team. However while I think most of the marks awarded so far on this thread accurately reflect excellent effort I think they exaggerate the quality of our performance. I thought that Carrney, Hanlon and Stanton - in that order - were our most effective performers and the only ones who would get more than 5 out of 10 for me (apart from Williams - who didn't really have much to do apart from their goals).

Williams 6 - Nice to see him distributing the ball more quickly than usual today
Forster 5 - Excellent commitment and goal. But caught out defensively a few times and crossing was poor today.I'd much rather have him at centre back
Nelson 3 - Very poor again. Responsible for goals against again and forces defence to play too deep due to lack of pace.
Hanlon 7 - Composed again today and the best of our defenders by a considerable distance
McGivern 4 - Looked to me that he should have cut out cross for first goal. Caught out defensively a few times and not a threat going forward.

Cairney 7 - Played well and showed creativity.
Craig 5 - Suffering from lack of confidence I feel. Did okay but he looks like a player and I think fans should give him more of a break
Stanton 6 - He and Cairney are the only two who looked an attacking threat. You can sense excitement when he starts to run at players with the ball
Stevenson 4 - Good effort but poor distribution and not enough pace to play wide left.

Haynes 3 - Poor control and doesn't really look like he'll score. Missed a couple of reasonable chances. Dominated by defenders.
Collins 3 - See (Haynes). Superb effort as usual but dominated by defenders and missed a good chance due to poor first touch.

Harris - Not involved a lot but looked more skillful than most when he touched the ball
Heffernan - Great finish for third goal. Not really able to hold the ball up though as with Haynes and Collins.
Handling - Not enough time.

PS - I've never seen a team waste so much time when they have a free kick/corner/goal kick as Motherwell did today as soon as they took the lead (quite early). I don't think it's possible to walk more slowly than their players were going to retrieve the ball in order to place it. It only changed when they went three-two down. You might expect it late in a game but not starting after about fifteen minutes!

fife hfc
08-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Williams - not much to do but pick the ball out the net. 6

Forster - caught out at first goal. Scored one and should have scored again. Got better as game wore on. 6
Mcgivern - defending well but distribution was awful. 6
Hanlon - woeful in first half and a totally opposite second half. 6
Nelson - better second half but dragged outwide at first goal covering for missing Forster and easily beat for second. better second half 5

cairney - superb second half and our most creative player. Just wish he had a bit of pace 7
Craig - needs dropped as very poor but in his defence he is not suited to role butcher wants him to play. 3
Stanton - not as good this week with a number of miss placed passes. But he is our most composed player and creative as he showed on a number of occasions 6
Stevenson - poor but never hides even when its not going for him. 4

Haynes - very poor today and could not hold up the ball, pass to a team mate or even beat a man. 3
Collins - should have scored in each half but worked hard and done some decent things but usually followed it up with some poor things. 6

subs - Heffernan 6 great finish, Harris hardly saw ball 2, handling 1

Jonnyboy
08-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I find it almost amusing that folk give Ryan McGivern a better mark that Lewis Stevenson. True, Lewis has had better games but if I had a quid for every time McGivern gave the ball to a Motherwell player I'd be well on the way to covering the cost of my new season ticket

3pm
08-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I find it almost amusing that folk give Ryan McGivern a better mark that Lewis Stevenson. True, Lewis has had better games but if I had a quid for every time McGivern gave the ball to a Motherwell player I'd be well on the way to covering the cost of my new season ticket

I am assuming you are not a concession then?! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
08-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I am assuming you are not a concession then?! :greengrin

:greengrin

3pm
08-03-2014, 08:12 PM
:greengrin

Being serious now, McGivern should have been hooked and Lewis to LB.

B.H.F.C
08-03-2014, 08:24 PM
A lot of poor performances. Collectively, the defence was diabolical.

Liam Craig, as has been said, is absolutely horrendous at the moment. He was in hiding today though. The amount of times he was standing with his hands on his hips with no interest in showing for the ball was unreal. He was doing ok out on the left early season and was a goal threat. He's got 9 goals so he does have something but it's clearly not working for him where he's playing.

Cairney got three assists and would be my motm on that basis. Stanton is the only other player I would say played reasonably well today.

Haynes was terrible. Collins is all effort but not clinical enough. Hopefully Heffrrnan starts on Wednesday. Goals have been hard to come by this season so we need someone who will put chances away when they come and I'd fancy him to do that over the other two.

Winston Ingram
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Williams 6 ok
Forster 7 boy's a talent. Should be playing CB
Nelson 5 I think he's more of a headballer than a footballer. I've rarely seen a player who has such little care for what he does with a ball. He'd be a star in the 70's
Hanlon 7 ok
McGivern 6 I don't think he cares enough. No doubt he has ability, but is careless & sloppy

Cairney 8 a threat all game & when he was subbed I'm sure he'd have preferred a stretcher. Cue a honkin performance next week
Stanton 6 poorest game for us so far. I'm not saying he was bad, but no where near the standard he's set so far. Thought he was sloppy
Craig 6
Stevenson 6 thought he was unlucky to be subbed

Collins 7 held the ball brilliantly as usual. Should have scored
Hayes 3 worked hard, but other than that, the speed of his decision making would be outpaced by a council committee & his touch embarrassed by a leg less donkey

GreenPJ
08-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Personally I thought Cairney was terrible for most of his time on the park. His complete lack of a tackle as ever, led to the first goal and was so unfit. Admittedly his last 10 mins on the park he was decent and he took confidence of a good run and then his fitness gave in.

edwards
08-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Poor defensive display in the first half and the rest of the players as well.

Williams 6 disn't get in the way enough today
Forster 6 thought he gpt caught out badly at times in the first half
Nelson 6 got nutmegged and turned for the goal but him and Forster bth scored hence the 6
Hanlon had a mare of a first half and when he sliced his pass out the park thought Terry would sub him.
McGivern 6 his passing not much better.

Cairney 8 lively second half and looked our best player.
Stanton 7 thought he had a good game but started to look a bit jaded
Criag 6 poor first half but felt he improved in the second.
Stevenson 4 passin poor as was his crossin.

Collins 7 played better today but was in the famous five and if he had just squared the ball at the end we may have got 4-3 as Handling and Stanton were in better postions.
Haynes 6 still think he is more of a danger than Collins and jumps and holds the ball up better and if Collins chances fell to him he would have scored.
Heffernan 6 for his goal cooly sloted it away.

The Utility Man
08-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Collins hasn't been playing recently. He isn't the best player in the world however we look better with him and another up front than just one up.

Agreed, totally bemused at how long it has taken Butcher to figure out we need two up top

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Williams 6 .... Apart from the goals not a lot to do. No chance with first or the second and I couldnt tell at the 3rd from the FF.

McGivern ... 5 ... Didnt defend wery well and passing was sloppy.
Hanlon ...... 6 ... Poor first half, but got better 2nd
Nelson ...... 5 .... Slow and passing terrible ... he did improve a bit in 2nd half and scored of course.
Forster ...... 6 ... Poor defending but got forward reasonably well and scored too.

Craig ... 5 ... better 2nd half, but terrible first half.
Stanton ... 6 ... decent game, but flitted in and out of it.
Stevenson ... 5 ... the usual effort, but where is the end product? What danger does he pose from left mid to the opposition?
Cairney ... 7 ... not much in the first half, but had a super 2nd half and brought Hibs back into the match, his best game this season.

Haynes ... 5 ... worked hard, but his decision making can be poor at times as it was yesterday.
Collins ... 5 ... MoM ... eh? .... Needs shooting for not squaring the ball right at the end with two Hibs players better placed ... we could have won it. Oh, and if you are going to shoot at least make the keeper save it.

Heffernan ... 5 ... great finish.
Harris ... 2 ... But didnt get the ball enough to make any impact
Handling ... 2 ... Didnt really notice he was on.

Butcher ... 5 ... He needs his own players in because we cant have performances like the Dundee Utd game or the first half yesterday ... but whatever he said at half time needs repeating as often as possible. One things for sure, Hibs are a better team when they pass it instead of just lumping it up to the front players.

Hibs7
09-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't think Lewis was 100% fit I saw him on Monday and he was Shivering as if it was cold and it was a warm day ... Maybe been carrying a bug or a cold but looked knackered .. Thought Hanlon was the standout player in the second half . .. Haynes should be sent back home, Collins the jury is still out, with a bit of luck and composure could have had a couple.. Overall did not think Motherwell were any better considering the chances created .. Heffernan could do with 90 minutes alongside Collins.. Stanton just continues to improve a joy to watch... Cairney just does not do it for me too slow and cumbersome ..even though he had a hand in all the goals !

cameronw-hfc
09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Williams- 5, not sure on the first but should do better with the third

Forster-6, like him at rb, gets forward well
Hanlon- 7, solid
Nelson- 5, slow, good goal
McGivern- 6, much improved since coming back from injury, still looks low on confidence

Stanton- 9, motm imho. Broke a lot of play up in the second, stuck his head in where it hurts and distribution was brilliant
Craig- haha, here we go, first half, 2, broke it up a few times then gave the ball away. Second half 6, much improved, especially for 20 minutes after the break when he pushed on a little, unfortunately he seems like he will need to have a cracking game to win back some fans.

Cairney- 8, just behind sammy for motm, drove at players, defenders hate him
Stevenson-5, tried his heart out just didn't click for him

Collins- 7, actually like Collins a lot. He needs to be played with a goal scorer, eg. Heff. As he can drop deep and do Heffs dirty work, by closing down.
Haynes-4, had the right idea, heart was in the right place, touch let him down a bit and think he tried to hard

Handling and Harris- not enough time
Heff- 7, great goal

Much better second half, and even a few nice passes from Craig And Stanton in the middle after the break.

Sammy will be massive for us, so composed and puts his head in where it hurts. Also think Danny Handling and Jason Cummings and Harris will be big players soon, Danny Handling reads the game well, just needs to buff up a bit.