PDA

View Full Version : Question Gerrard or Lampard

Chump
06-03-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm having an ongoing debate/argument with my mates on who is the best. Being a massive Liverpool fan I can't see past Gerrard as I believe he is the complete midfielder but I understand why people would argue for Lampard - his goal scoring from midfield has been phenomenal.

Who do you opt for??

Hibs_dot_com
06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm having an ongoing debate/argument with my mates on who is the best. Being a massive Liverpool fan I can't see past Gerrard as I believe he is the complete midfielder but I understand why people would argue for Lampard - his goal scoring from midfield has been phenomenal.

Who do you opt for??

You are missing the "don't care" option

hibby rae
06-03-2014, 02:56 PM
You are missing the "don't care" option

Surely that option is not voting? Gerrard for me. I fully believe Liverpool wouldn't have came back from 3 down against Milan if it wasn't for him. I wonder which way Scouse Hibee will vote?

Hibernia&Alba
06-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Hate to say it, but Gerrard. World class in his pomp.

Winston Ingram
06-03-2014, 03:04 PM
If you stuck Scholes in there it would make it more interesting...

The Sea-gull
06-03-2014, 03:06 PM
For me this is a bit like comparing Ronaldo and Messi (e.g. different types of players).

Gerrard is better tackling, passing and has a better engine. Lamprad is good at all of these things but not as good as Gerrard.

Lampard is better at shooting, heading and goal scoring. Gerrard is good at all of these but not as good as Lampard.

Right now I'd go for Gerrard as he is a bit younger and play more football but when they both retire I suspect they will be regarded about the same due to their achievements, much as they did so many times when playing for England together, cancel each other out.

Lampard will probably finish up the more decorated player but that will be counter balanced with the acknowledgement that Gerrard largely played in poorer club sides.

The Sea-gull
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Wouldn't it just. Contest over for me as Scholes is overall a better complete player than either of them. Apart from maybe tackling and the other two are a wee bit ahead of him on the goal scoring front thought that is owed to the fact that they have been their clubs regular penalty takers for most of their careers where as, while he surley must have, I can't recall Scholes taking a pen.

He beats them out the park when it comes to major honours anyway!

Mcpakeisgod
06-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Lampard for me . He has his record while being at a club constantly challenging for and winning trophies .
Gerrard reminds me of the old saying . 'Big fish in a small pond' .

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Who cares? but can't stand Gerrard FWIW

brian6-2
06-03-2014, 03:28 PM
both murder, no a patch on scotty broon.

JMac
06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Who would I pick? Lampard, and I hate Chelsea. Overall I can understand why people choose Gerrard, as an all round player he's right up there. However if you break it down, there are a lot of players that do similar things to what Gerrard does, Vidal at Juve, Bastian at bayern, Toure at city, however there has never been a midfielder quite like Lampard

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Lampard for me.

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Neither. The question was relevant 3-5 years ago but isn't now. Both are too old and slow and next season will probably be their last one as semi-regulars in the Premiership.

Chump
06-03-2014, 03:40 PM

agreed but it's between the two of them at the minute with my mates!!

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Surely that option is not voting? Gerrard for me. I fully believe Liverpool wouldn't have came back from 3 down against Milan if it wasn't for him. I wonder which way Scouse Hibee will vote?

Gerraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd :greengrin

Winston Ingram
06-03-2014, 03:57 PM
agreed but it's between the two of them at the minute with my mates!!

:wink:

hibby rae
06-03-2014, 04:04 PM

"He hits it from 40 yards!!......":scarf:

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2014, 04:16 PM
"He hits it from 40 yards!!......":scarf:

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
He’ll pass the ball 40 yards,
He’s big and he’s ****in’ hard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
He’s better than Fat Lampard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

The answer is in the song :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Stevie G.

DTS
06-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Steven Gerrard hands down! Lampard has a better goal scoring record but other than that Gerrard is the better player

"Gerraaaaaaaaaaaaard!!!!!!!"

lapsedhibee
06-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Gerrard single-handedly won a European Cup final, which very few - if any other - people in the History of Europe have done, but he's a diving get. So Lampard.

hibby rae
06-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

:aok:

green.and.white
06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
He kisses the badge on his chest
Then hands in a transfer request
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard

:greengrin :devil:

3pm
06-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Gerrard. Easy.

ekhibee
06-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Lampard. Thought he was a great player for West Ham before he went to Chelsea who I hate.

frazeHFC
06-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Gerrard every time for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKx_gJavuw

Chump
06-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

:top marks

Fergus52
06-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I've always found them pretty different.

I can't say who I think is better as it would depend on the team.

i.e. at hibs I'd rather have Gerrard, but Lampard would be better than Gerrard at Barcelona or somewhere.

hibeemikey21
06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I think Gerrard is the better of the two. Just.

Really should have left and joined Madrid/bayern/barca

Saying that - I think Lampard is massively underrated by most. People who claim he just scores deflected goals and penalties (as is often claimed) need their heads checked.

Both phenomenal players.

Speedy
06-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Gerrard.

truehibernian
06-03-2014, 06:43 PM
My mate met Frank Lampard and his missus last year in a posh wine bar in London -they sat at their table, bought a round or two, and said he was an absolute gentleman, posed for pictures, was constantly asked for photos by those in the bar (and his other half) and he took time to speak to everyone who approached them. My mate was taken aback as to how humble he was and how approachable. Lampard also seemed more keen to find out what they did and hear their stories. Apparently Christine has a chassis to die for too 😀

weonlywon6-2
06-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Gerrard,Lampard is decent though

KirkyK
06-03-2014, 07:53 PM
I've always found them pretty different.

I can't say who I think is better as it would depend on the team.

i.e. at hibs I'd rather have Gerrard, but Lampard would be better than Gerrard at Barcelona or somewhere.

Jamie has poisoned your mind!

GERRRRRRAAAAARRRRRDDDDDDD!!!!!

andy1875
06-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Gerrard and Lampard are both decent, but neither will ever be as good as Pat McGinlay. He was a "proper" box to box midfielder :greengrin

calumhibee1
07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Lampard for me. The amount of goals he adds to a team, along with being a very good midfielder is incredible.

s2hart
07-03-2014, 01:26 PM
In the early days I used to think Lampard was over rated but after Mourinho first started working with him he got more consistent with his shots on target and his all round game improved. For me it's has to be Gerrard the guy puts in a shift and covers every blade of grass didn't have many flaws in his game.

I have been lucky to have watched some great players live in the past few years, but Gerrard is one I'd love to see play live, especially in his prime, oh well!

Bronson
07-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Both incredible, along with Paul Scholes, but Gerrard for me every time.

GlenrothesHibee
07-03-2014, 02:32 PM
I dont think either or them are gay to be honest. Sorry wrong thread

mmmmhibby
07-03-2014, 03:05 PM
lampard for me

jdships
07-03-2014, 05:37 PM

:top marks :top marks Yes twice over !!

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Both over hyped tbh. Obviously great players but there have always been 10 better ones

Chump
07-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Both over hyped tbh. Obviously great players but there have always been 10 better ones

Never for a minute was I suggesting they were 'best in the world' and the question was relating to them in their pomp - I just wondered what the general consensus was as my mate thinks Lampard all the way but I disagree!!

I do see Scholes mentioned quite a bit and he was definitely up there with the best in his pomp and would be hard to argue against him....I just have my Liverpool shades :wink:

jdships
07-03-2014, 08:18 PM

OP's question was " I'm having an ongoing debate/argument with my mates on who is the best Gerrad or Lampard "

Nothing was said about " who was the best in the world "
" There have ALWAYS been ten better ones" ALWAYS ?
Aye right !! :rolleyes::cb

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Never for a minute was I suggesting they were 'best in the world' and the question was relating to them in their pomp - I just wondered what the general consensus was as my mate thinks Lampard all the way but I disagree!!

I do see Scholes mentioned quite a bit and he was definitely up there with the best in his pomp and would be hard to argue against him....I just have my Liverpool shades :wink:Fair enough, Gerrard was/is better.

OP's question was " I'm having an ongoing debate/argument with my mates on who is the best Gerrad or Lampard "

Aye right !! :rolleyes::cbYep, always been at least 10 better players than them IMO. Maybe not Gerrard in 2005 but still guys like Pirlo, Xavi, Vieira, Kaka, Makelele, Zidane and Ballack were all better.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2014, 08:30 PM

At his peak there was never ten players better than him in the world, and that's from an unbiased Scouser so don't even try to prove me wrong! :wink:

lugz
07-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Considering Lampard came 2nd in the ballon dor in his prime that's clearly not the case.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Considering Lampard came 2nd in the ballon dor in his prime that's clearly not the case.

Only second, even Luis Suarez won it in 1960 FACT that's how good he is :wink:

McD
07-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Lampard was was the better scorer at their respective peaks, but during his high point under mourinho, he had 2 midfielders behind him winning the ball, and a virtual shoot on sight policy. He's arguably a better all round player now than he was back then. A very good player.

gerrard is the better tackler, passer, leader, and carried a team that was good without being excellent for a 3-4 year spell, with only a couple of decent quality players and a lot of poor quality players in the team. I don think lampard has ever had a 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' moment, gerrard has at least 2. The champions league final where he singlehandedly willed a team from 3 nil down to win it, and the west ham FA cup final a year later. Also has scored a huge volume of goals from midfield, even accounting for penalties and free kicks. I'd also argue he's more versatile than lampard, and has played everywhere outfield for Liverpool and England except left back. Lampard was a great centre mid, but isn't really able to play anywhere else. That versatility has and does allow Liverpool to be very flexible with subs and formations.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Lampard was was the better scorer at their respective peaks, but during his high point under mourinho, he had 2 midfielders behind him winning the ball, and a virtual shoot on sight policy. He's arguably a better all round player now than he was back then. A very good player.

gerrard is the better tackler, passer, leader, and carried a team that was good without being excellent for a 3-4 year spell, with only a couple of decent quality players and a lot of poor quality players in the team. I don think lampard has ever had a 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' moment, gerrard has at least 2. The champions league final where he singlehandedly willed a team from 3 nil down to win it, and the west ham FA cup final a year later. Also has scored a huge volume of goals from midfield, even accounting for penalties and free kicks. I'd also argue he's more versatile than lampard, and has played everywhere outfield for Liverpool and England except left back. Lampard was a great centre mid, but isn't really able to play anywhere else. That versatility has and does allow Liverpool to be very flexible with subs and formations.

:top marksCouldn't have put it better myself.

SouthamptonHibs
08-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Gerrard and Lampard are both decent, but neither will ever be as good as Pat McGinlay. He was a "proper" box to box midfielder :greengrin

10/10, I'm of the age that Pat was my Hibs hero, I'm not sure if it's because I've got older or my standards have changed but I've not seen a midfielder at ER or anywhere in Scotland as good as him since

Chump
08-03-2014, 12:07 PM
At his peak there was never ten players better than him in the world, and that's from an unbiased Scouser so don't even try to prove me wrong! :wink:

Totally agree....until I looked into it!! He had a few peers when he was in his pomp (circa 2005/2006);

Scholes
Lampard
Kaka
Viera
Pirlo
Fabregas
Xavi
Ballack
Aimar
Essien
Sneijder
Deco
Ronaldinho
Zidane

.....but after taking my red shades off I'd still argue he would be in the top few of complete midfielders from that list!!

Swedish hibee
08-03-2014, 12:14 PM
If I could have the choice for Hibs(!) it would be Lampard for me, and I hate Chelsea.

Hibercelona
08-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Gerrard for me. On the basis that Lampard is a snidey wee fud.