PDA

View Full Version : Is 4-4-2 a thing of the past?

Bronson
05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Was watching a show on telly the other day, some football league one, and they were talking about how surprising it was that both Leicester and Burnley play a 4-4-2, as if it was out of the ordinary. They suggested it was an old fashioned formation which got me thinking, most teams, especially in the prem, seem to play one up front. Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd etc all use a sort of 4-2-3-1 formation, is that the way forward? Pretty sure it's Butcher's preferred formation and he used it at ICT.

FWIW, I'm still a fan of the classic 2 up top, I just thought it was interesting to hear it being spoken about like an outdated formation. Thoughts?

Haymaker
05-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Useful still at some levels but a nightmare if you play against decent teams that have the ability to play inbetween lines.

3pm
05-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Does it not depend how you do the 4-4-2?

Pundits were full of praise for Brendan Rodgers on Saturday after he used the 'diamond'.

green.and.white
05-03-2014, 06:43 PM
The top teams who play 4231 really play 442, like Utd and Bayern for example play with two strikers and 4 midfielders, so how is it not a 442? Just because a player is given an instruction to drop deep and collect the ball doesn't mean he is not playing as a striker (ie Ronney at Utd and Muller at Bayern).

If it's done properly, it's still effective IMO.

FRes Hibbie
05-03-2014, 06:53 PM
4-4-2 has been out of fashion for approaching ten years now. A pretty good indication of this was barca winning the champions league in 05/06 with deco, eto'o, ronaldinho et al in a 4-3-3 and mourinho's Chelsea dominating England and everyone else apart from barca using a similar (if more defensive) setup.

Since then 4-2-3-1 has obviously become the more popular formation. If anything the 4-4-2 has had a bit of a renaissance in England this season - Liverpool and Man City have both frequently played with two strikers in their teams to great effect this year.

hibseleven
05-03-2014, 07:38 PM
4231 can become 442 easily during a game and vice versa. IMO of course.

J-C
05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
In a 4 2 3 1, you need a very good advanced playmaker who plays like a second striker, this then makes like a 4 4 2, the diamond system seems popular right now, managers seem desperate to get 2 strikers on the pitch.

Ozyhibby
05-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Dead as far as Scotland is concerned. All our youth development squads play 4-3-3 now. The national team is now doing the same.

Jdawg
05-03-2014, 10:07 PM
A team doesn't just play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 etc. A formation is not static. With the ball and breaking it might be a 4-2-3-1 but when defending will/might be a 4-5-1 of thereabouts. Hibs sometimes appear to play a 4-2-3-1 but if the LW and RW don't fall back the LB and RB are exposed. Not to say when playing 4-4-2 and the wingers don't fall back it doesn't expose the full backs either though. Any formation/tactic has to be drilled. In terms of Butcher/Hibs, Butcher had a system at Inverness and bought players to suit that formation. At the moment, he probably knows he needs 5-6 players in the summer

Tinribs
05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I think that 4-4 ****ing 2 needs real pace in the team. Hibs, for instance...do not have it atm.

Neither does the National side.

Mike Bassett, England manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvL4Bzyumg

Edit. Sorry, just watched my vid link again, for the first time in years...and my God, Kipling was good.

Jdawg
05-03-2014, 10:16 PM
I think that 4-4 ****ing 2 needs real pace in the team. Hibs, for instance...do not have it atm.

Neither does the National side.

Mike Bassett, England manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvL4Bzyumg Especially the full backs, why cant we get one with a good touch, crossing, pace and most importantly one who doesn't just boot the ball anywhere and has the ability to play a composed pass to another hibs player