05-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Somewhere near Africa!

JohnStephens91
05-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Never mind how it happened, where the ---- is Cape Verde Islands

Off the coast of Western Africa, close to Senegal, The Gambia and Mauritania

hibby rae
05-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Sort a friendly and bump ourselves up the rankings!

CropleyWasGod
05-03-2014, 02:47 PM
They qualified for the last CAN.

CyberSauzee
05-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Lots of Portuguese players not quite good enough for the 'motherland', plus some decent results in the African Cup of Nations the last couple of years against the likes of Nigeria and the Ivory Coast.

CropleyWasGod
05-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Sort a friendly and bump ourselves up the rankings!

The CVI have done pretty well in recent seasons in competitive games.

As far as the rankings go, I'm pretty sure that Scotland are the highest-ranked team in our Euro group, other than Germany.

number 27
05-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Were they not in the final of the last African Cup of Nations?

CropleyWasGod
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Were they not in the final of the last African Cup of Nations?

Nigeria and Burkina Faso

CVI got to the QF's.

number 27
05-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Nigeria and Burkina Faso

CVI got to the QF's.

Yes, thanks for that, I just looked at their record and it's not bad, I would say their rating seems a little high though, they have hardly ever played against non African opposition.

CropleyWasGod
05-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Yes, thanks for that, I just looked at their record and it's not bad, I would say their rating seems a little high though, they have hardly ever played against non African opposition.

The FIFA rankings have never been the most reliable of indicators. :agree:

Pete
05-03-2014, 04:07 PM
The FIFA rankings have never been the most reliable of indicators. :agree:

They're a load of mince.

I remember reading recently about a country that hosted easy friendlies at a certain time enabling them to climb the rankings and get into the top group of seeds in a draw. I think it was Italy or Germany. Anything that can be manipulated like that is fundamentally flawed...especially if you have nonsense teams like the one the OP mentions sitting so high.

number9dream
05-03-2014, 04:22 PM
They're a load of mince.

I remember reading recently about a country that hosted easy friendlies at a certain time enabling them to climb the rankings and get into the top group of seeds in a draw. I think it was Italy or Germany. Anything that can be manipulated like that is fundamentally flawed...especially if you have nonsense teams like the one the OP mentions sitting so high.

Switzerland are top seeds at World Cup after doing well in qualifying group and avoiding friendly games.
Holland lost points by playing a game against Indonesia (which they won) and missed out...

Iggy Pope
05-03-2014, 04:24 PM
They're a load of mince.

On another note, the Ivory Coast would poke us senseless and they were nonsense not long ago. Same goes for Senegal, Egypt and more.

The Green Goblin
05-03-2014, 05:14 PM
They're a load of mince.

If that's how it works, could Scotland not 'play the system' and move into a higher pot for tournaments? If other countries are doing it....

Pete
05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
If that's how it works, could Scotland not 'play the system' and move into a higher pot for tournaments? If other countries are doing it....

IIRC, it only moved them up a couple of places but it was crucial and I don't think the country they pipped (who played fewer but harder games) were very happy as it was very deliberate.

We'd probably lose if we tried something like that. :-(

Kaiser_Sauzee
05-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I've been to Cape Verde. Had diarrhoea for 3 weeks.

Hovehibby
05-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Luxembourg must also be world beaters if they can draw 0-0 with the mighty CVI........

DTS
05-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Went to Cape Verde last September was brilliant but how they even manage to play football in the heat but just the poor living qualities is beyond me! Fair play to them

Hibby-Nessie
05-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Maybe Scotland should become a tax haven :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2014, 11:28 PM

Bloody hell, that sounds life threatening, and your sphincter must have been like a raw steak. Cape Verde won't be going on my wish list.

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Maybe Scotland should become a tax haven :wink:

Did someone mention The Rangers???

Jones28
06-03-2014, 12:28 AM
This rankings thing is utter pish.

An I right in saying that they base your position on competitive games only abd that these games win you points if you win. However any friendlies you play, regardless of score line or opposition, will lose you points?

Scott Allan Key
06-03-2014, 01:23 AM
The CVI have done pretty well in recent seasons in competitive games.

As far as the rankings go, I'm pretty sure that Scotland are the highest-ranked team in our Euro group, other than Germany.

Germany 2 Ireland 67 Poland 70 Scotland 34 Georgia 103 Gibralter N/A

Out of the second seeds in UEFA qualiying, Ireland and Hungary 44 are below us in FIFA rankings, Czech Republic are just above us at 31, Sweden 26, Croatia 16, Denmark 25, Switzerland 6, Belgium 11, Ukraine 19.

Out of the nine third seeds, only Romania 33, Serbia 29, Slovenia 28 have better ranking, Turkey 42, Israel 56, Slovakia 54, Poland, Austria 43 and Norway 60 are poorer.

Fourth seeds- Latvia 112, Wales 51, Belarus 82, Estonia 92, Finland 65, Scotland, Montenegro 52, Bulgaria 72 and Armenia 30.

It suggests we might benefit as fourth seeds from having teams at same or poorer present form from us in 2nd and 3rd seedings in our group. I'm quietly confident after tonight and am glad we didn't get a group with Belgium and Germany, etc. Would love to have had England as top seed, but I am optimistic we can finish a clear second, if we maintain our form.

It seems that qualifying for Championships will be major boost to being a higher seeding, but quite why Israel, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and Norway are therefore above us as seeds is a mystery to me. It's a conspiracy. We have strong grounds for at least 3rd seeding and if we become consistent at punching above our weight, we can hopefully push on.

Speedy
06-03-2014, 06:45 AM
This rankings thing is utter pish.

An I right in saying that they base your position on competitive games only abd that these games win you points if you win. However any friendlies you play, regardless of score line or opposition, will lose you points?

Not quite but potentially for the big teams.

The rankings are based on average points for each game. And you get more points for the competitive games (more so for the finals tournaments). So for Scotland, what you said isn't true because we don't have the good results to dilute but Spain etc. probably do.

Gettin' Auld
06-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Is that the capital city, or a holiday resort? :)

Jones28
06-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Not quite but potentially for the big teams.

The rankings are based on average points for each game. And you get more points for the competitive games (more so for the finals tournaments). So for Scotland, what you said isn't true because we don't have the good results to dilute but Spain etc. probably do.

Cheers Deano :aok:

overdrive
06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
We went to Cape Verde in 2007. A local trader put a spell on us that we and all our family would die within 3 years because we didn't go into his shop. Still here.

Extremely poor and barren country. Amazed they even have a national team.

Bristolhibby
06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
We went to Cape Verde in 2007. A local trader put a spell on us that we and all our family would die within 3 years because we didn't go into his shop. Still here.

Extremely poor and barren country. Amazed they even have a national team.

Cracking customer service. Didnt see "voodo" taught in Business courses at University. I suppose its a key tactic to position your services in a busy marketplace.

J

Spudster
06-03-2014, 12:56 PM
How the system works
Ranking points earned = M x I x T x C
M: Result of the match - win (3), draw (1) defeat (0)
I: Importance of the match - friendly (1), World Cup qualifier or confederation-level qualifier (2.5), Confederation level or Confederations Cup match (3) and FIFA World Cup match (4)
T: Strength of opposition - No 1 ranked team (200) down on sliding scale to 150th ranked team (50) and all teams below also 50
C: Strength of confederation of opposition - Europe/South America (1), North and Central America, Caribbean (0.88), Asia/Africa (0.86) and Oceania (0.85)
A more typical example would be a game against an average European

The Dutch victory over Brazil in the quarter-finals of the last World Cup earned the maximum number of points possible from one match. In Fifa ranking points that's three points for a win multiplied by 200 points for beating the world's best team multiplied by four because it was at the finals, giving a total of 2,400 points

How to play the system
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25134584