PDA

View Full Version : Didn't you think it was going to go badly this season?

Paloschi
05-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm not trying to be too doom and gloom here but the reality is we were always going to struggle this season.

Our two best players, Leigh Griffiths and Jorge Claros left at the end of last season and were not replaced. Yes we signed Vine, Collins and Heffernan but neither are anywhere near the sort of calibre we needed to replace 28 goals. Combined I think they have amassed less than 10 so far? Which btw is about what Doyle scored on his own.

As for replacing Jorge, we could have done that by re-signing him. Instead Owain Tudur Jones has came in and everyone can admit he has been a disappointment so far. Liam Craig seemed like a great signing this time last year but has struggled if we are being brutally honest, especially under Butcher as captain.

Take away 28 goals and a classy, holding, possession retaining midfielder and you are always going to struggle. We did not sign the right players in the summer. Nelson, Mullen, Jones, Vine, Zoubir are all not good enough to be in a Hibs team IMO. Heffernan, Craig and Collins could still be going on previous form.

We could have done with Alex Harris not getting injured but that is football. I get the feeling Fenlon wanted to rely on him like he did Griffiths the year before. In the Malmo game every time we had the ball we looked for Alex. Now the boy is still not 100% and his confidence looks shot.

Butcher has a massive job on his hands. The right players have to come in this summer. There are too many that have just not been good enough in any shape or form. Forster, Stanton and Harris all have a very bright future at the club but the right players have to be around them going into next season.

This season, I'm afraid is another bottom 6 failure but was it not always looking like that? I might have taken 7th or 8th this season after THAT performance v Malmo. Another season, another wasted opportunity with Rangers out the picture.

J-C
05-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately proven experienced SPL players have been absolutely shocking since they signed and Collins hasn't shown the goal scoring he showed at Swindon. It looks to me like we just signed another bunch of wage thieves, who don't give e frig about our club or supporters, the club itself became lazy a and disinterested and it showed in the very poor performances on the pitch. For too long we've had wimpy managers and a chairman more interested in balancing the books than actually playing football and climbing the league. This season was a prime example when after 2 bad cup finals, the 1st a disgrace and a hammering in Europe, the chairman was happy to allow Fenlon to carry on, when everyone could see it was a disaster waiting to happen.

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Mr nice guy Pat Fenlon has filled the squad with poor players, as did Calderclown, when each season we are told they will be looking for quality over quantity.

Now its Terry's turn, please dont do the same. :pray:

Hibstrooper
05-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I think there was an acknowledgement that Griffiths' goals would be hard to replace however the general feel was the rest of the team would be better as we were signing proven SPL players (Craig, OTJ, Vine, Nelson, Heffernan) along with improving form/fitness of a couple of players (Thomson, Robertson) supplemented by exciting youth coming through (Harris, Handling, Caldwell) so the goals would be spread out much more.

This hasn't really materialised to the extent needed and the goalscorers brought in (Heffernan & Collins) haven't scored enough to make up the gap which is why there is a lack of progress.

So in summary, another big rebuilding job needed.

silverhibee
05-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I think there was an acknowledgement that Griffiths' goals would be hard to replace however the general feel was the rest of the team would be better as we were signing proven SPL players (Craig, OTJ, Vine, Nelson, Heffernan) along with improving form/fitness of a couple of players (Thomson, Robertson) supplemented by exciting youth coming through (Harris, Handling, Caldwell) so the goals would be spread out much more.

This hasn't really materialised to the extent needed and the goalscorers brought in (Heffernan & Collins) haven't scored enough to make up the gap which is why there is a lack of progress.

So in summary, another big rebuilding job needed.

Just think where we would be now without Griffiths goals, possibly down a league.