View Full Version : Pre season friendlies

04-03-2014, 11:11 PM
As we sadly have no chance of Europe next season quite fancy a decent trip pre season, hopefully to see our amazing new signings:aok: Anybody with any news or heard anything where Big Tel might arrange?? Where would be likely and good?

04-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Birmingham City V Hibernian.

David Murphy benefit game with the profits going to the charity of his choice..........

04-03-2014, 11:42 PM

David Murphy benefit game with the profits going to the charity of his choice..........

Not a bad shout that.

05-03-2014, 02:39 AM
Maybe a wee tour of the West Midlands "anything for yaw cupcake":tee hee:

05-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Tour of Yorkshire would be my 1st choice :agree:

05-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Yes, yes and yes again.

05-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Could double up as a history lesson of how the Victorians used to live.

05-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Ha ha true. York would be a belting trip though:fez:

05-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Spalding grammary girls hockey team would help toughen up our defence and if we do well we could play the under 14's after a bit of a rest.

05-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I've heard we aren't planning on going abroad for pre season this year, will be local games and maybe a tournament not to far away.

05-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I've heard we aren't planning on going abroad for pre season this year, will be local games and maybe a tournament not to far away.

Yep, TB said that the other day. He said he won't find better than East Mains and it's better for player bonding if they're at home. And as you say taking part in a tournament is a possibility.

05-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Disappointing, but whatever TB thinks best for the team, we need them ready for the KO. No more excuses!

Hibby91
05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Shame gibraltar and portugal last year were decent trips

05-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Yep, TB said that the other day. He said he won't find better than East Mains and it's better for player bonding if they're at home. And as you say taking part in a tournament is a possibility.

Wick (A) please :cb

05-03-2014, 01:10 PM

Good. Waste of time and money. When are we ever going to play in 30 degree heat here?

Play british opposition in Britain, it's the only place we will ever play football.

05-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Good. Waste of time and money. When are we ever going to play in 30 degree heat here?

Play british opposition in Britain, it's the only place we will ever play football.

Not arguing with that view but am disappointed if only because I look forward to these foreign jaunts each season :greengrin

05-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Not arguing with that view but am disappointed if only because I look forward to these foreign jaunts each season :greengrin

Snap! I've not booked time off work yet as was waiting for pre season details. Was gutted I missed last year

05-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Bully. Would hope your in Yorkshire Sunday boss :agree:

05-03-2014, 08:22 PM

Dinnae fancy going there. Went to Villa Park in the 80s I think, for pre season, not a friendly place at all.

Wakeyhibee
05-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Having lived on both sides of the Pennines I would say it was the other way round compared t' valley ant t'hills in Lancs. Over here is more advanced in an Edwardian kinda way lol

05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Hope we come to Sweden this year. Purley for selfish reason.

05-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Bully. Would hope your in Yorkshire Sunday boss :agree:
Still working on sorting a childminder but hoping to be there one way or another.

Having lived on both sides of the Pennines I would say it was the other way round compared t' valley ant t'hills in Lancs. Over here is more advanced in an Edwardian kinda way lol
Happy to sell East Lancs to the Yorkies for the right price!

Would be interesting to know how much it's cost the club to travel to friendlies in Gibraltar/Portugal/Belgium/Germany just in the last couple of years. Makes sense if it's more of a local affair this year, though a game down here would be great from a personal point of view.

Wakeyhibee
05-03-2014, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=LancashireHibby;3923860]Happy to sell East Lancs to the Yorkies for the right price! [QUOTE]

Happy to give it away, doubt anyone wants 6 fingered neighbours mind you

05-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Hearts (A) - I fancy a little jaunt to Livingston.

05-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Hearts (A) - I fancy a little jaunt to Livingston.

It could yet be Linlithgow...which is actually much more appealing.

05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
It could yet be Linlithgow...which is actually much more appealing.

Linlithgow would be nice but I can't see the townsfolk allowing the gunts to desecrate their place.

05-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Still waiting on the West Country tour.

Bristol City
Bristol Rovers
Swindon Town
Yeovil Town
Bath City

At a push Cardiff.

06-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Linlithgow would be nice but I can't see the townsfolk allowing the gunts to desecrate their place.

Not only could they share their pitch, they could also share the shirts...although Linlithgow Rose have a sponsor that are slightly more upstanding.

They almost have identical club badges...without the child rape/grooming. That's more Grangemouth/Polmont

06-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Bristol City
Bristol Rovers
Swindon Town
Yeovil Town
Bath City

At a push Cardiff.

Was in Bath last year for a few days, lovely place :cb

gorgie greens
06-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Bristol City
Bristol Rovers
Swindon Town
Yeovil Town
Bath City

At a push Cardiff.

Sounds very nice to me,messy trips out on the train,ah the good old days

06-03-2014, 11:08 PM
I have enjoyed the east fife friendly the last few years as I grew up in leven so it's nice to go back now and again

VivaHiberņa
07-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Leeds United

Nottingham Forest

Milwall

:cb

On a serious note I actually wouldn't mind playing Leeds (though I don't see it happening for obvious reasons) as I have a good friend who supports them and we'd have a good day out with that. Only downside is I don't see us winning. (And all the nonsense that happens when we play an English team, never mind Leeds.)

07-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Pre season friendlies are a waste of time IMO due to our signing policy!
Old Rodders won't sign anyone until 30/31st Aug (say 5 players), by then we are 4 games into the season. Pre season friendlies only work if teams are settled by start of pre season (June) train together for a few weeks then play as a team 1. To get match fit 2. Work on formation, get best team etc. that way a team is READY for the start of the new season.
This is not the Hibs way, we will have the same dross at the club by start of next year, we are unlikely to get new faces in last min.
This is the Hibs way!

Berwickhibby
07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
A pre season tour of Malta please..... Hibernians v Hibernian sounds great :flag:

07-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Pre season friendlies are a waste of time IMO due to our signing policy!
Old Rodders won't sign anyone until 30/31st Aug (say 5 players), by then we are 4 games into the season. Pre season friendlies only work if teams are settled by start of pre season (June) train together for a few weeks then play as a team 1. To get match fit 2. Work on formation, get best team etc. that way a team is READY for the start of the new season.
This is not the Hibs way, we will have the same dross at the club by start of next year, we are unlikely to get new faces in last min.
This is the Hibs way!
Given Inverness always brought players in early to do just what you said this will be first real test of Petrie backing T B or not I know Finances dictate we can't do all our business early but you would think given scale of change needed T B would want a few key players in as early as he could that's why surprised there were no Pre Contracts done Althogh don't recall seeing other teams announce any iether in that last window .

07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Given Inverness always brought players in early to do just what you said this will be first real test of Petrie backing T B or not I know Finances dictate we can't do all our business early but you would think given scale of change needed T B would want a few key players in as early as he could that's why surprised there were no Pre Contracts done Althogh don't recall seeing other teams announce any iether in that last window .

:top marks I really hope we bring some of our key signings in early before players return for training. Things need to change with regards to how this club is run

07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
A pre season tour of Malta please..... Hibernians v Hibernian sounds great :flag:

That would be great, would deffo try and make that! Or how about a trip to Guernsey to play our lookalikeies:thumbsup:

07-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Rochdale at Spotland please :pray:

07-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Leeds United

Nottingham Forest

Milwall

:cb

On a serious note I actually wouldn't mind playing Leeds (though I don't see it happening for obvious reasons) as I have a good friend who supports them and we'd have a good day out with that. Only downside is I don't see us winning. (And all the nonsense that happens when we play an English team, never mind Leeds.)

I was going to mention Huddersfield but did we not play them at ER a couple of seasons ago? Would love a trip down south in pre-season. Stranraer always throw a Stena Cup with a couple of Irish teams but I'd much rather head doon sooth!

07-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Bit of a random choice! Great pies though :thumbsup:

07-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Bit of a random choice! Great pies though :thumbsup:

Aye I've got a mate who is a season ticket holder - an absolute die-hard fan so it would be good to go down and meet him and try their pies! Think he lives in Littlebrough.

08-03-2014, 12:34 AM
I doubt we will be going down south, unfortunately our track record for good behaviour does not lend it's self to away trips in England

08-03-2014, 12:59 AM

Same, as I've said on all these threads every time ones come up in the last few years. :agree:

Mainly cos I wanna go to Acapulco! :greengrin

08-03-2014, 03:25 AM
Kansas City would be nice - I will arrange all the social events for any visiting Hibee......

08-03-2014, 04:56 AM

I was at Spotland last week. Didn't bother with a pie as went to a chippy at Hollingworth lake.

Spotland always looks better with rugby league played there and the Cougars running in some great tries :greengrin

08-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Cant imagine either clubs Boards or either cities polis giving that one the thumbs up :greengrin

I find friendlies against "name" English opposition are usually a let down. Id like to see us on a mini tour of the Scottish lower leagues to see grounds we wont see or haven't seen for a while... we could maybe play Hearts and The Rangers ?