View Full Version : thoughts

Northern Hibby
04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
is this true ?

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9194449/John-Nicholson

I kinda like the stuff he mentions :devil:

Boyle89
04-03-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm all for some of the stuff he says. Football has become for too sanitised and the people running it seem to think it's something that it just isn't.

--------
04-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Talking about teenage idols and role-models ....

I remember BBJ chasing Jock Stein up the tunnel at Ibrox; caught him at the far end and kicked his backside IIRC.

Stein had called him a dirty big SOMETHING-OR-OTHER. League Cup semi around 1965-66 or so.

And I have to say that BBJ was my idol - my role model - the man I looked up to more than any other at that time.

And I rather think I turned out OK.

John Mcnamee - Captain of the Hibees, harder than the entire Dirty Leeds United half-back line put together, a scholar and a gentleman in every way.

Big Bad John could clear the enemy centre-forward right from the Hibs goalmouth all the way back into the other 18-yard box.

WITHOUT TOUCHING THE BALL!!!!!

When BBJ entered the room, Chuck Norris would wet himself in fear.

In fact, it was impossible for Chuck Norris to remain in the same universe as Big John, unless Big John graciously gave him permission to do so.

BBJ, as anyone who saw him play will know was THE MAN.

There are role models, and there are real role models, but if you're looking for a CARLSBERG role-model, BBJ's your man.

Not just a role-model - a Golf Bravo Hotel role-model.

http://beyondthelastman.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/john-mcnamee-hibernian-1966.jpg?w=419&h=590

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Jonnyboy
04-03-2014, 03:36 PM

I remember BBJ chasing Jock Stein up the tunnel at Ibrox; caught him at the far end and kicked his backside IIRC.

Stein had called him a dirty big SOMETHING-OR-OTHER. League Cup semi around 1965-66 or so.

And I have to say that BBJ was my idol - my role model - the man I looked up to more than any other at that time.

John Mcnamee - Captain of the Hibees, harder than the entire Dirty Leeds United half-back line put together, a scholar and a gentleman in every way.

Big Bad John could clear the enemy centre-forward right from the Hibs goalmouth all the way back into the other 18-yard box.

In fact, it was impossible for Chuck Norris to remain in the same universe as Big John, unless Big John graciously gave him permission to do so.

There are role models, and there are real role models, but if you're looking for a CARLSBERG role-model, BBJ's your man.

http://beyondthelastman.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/john-mcnamee-hibernian-1966.jpg?w=419&h=590

Thanks for this Doddie. Brings back many happy memories of Big John who was one of my earliest heroes too.

A few years back I was in conversation with Pat Stanton and when I mentioned Big John, Pat's eyes lit up and he spoke about the man for a good ten minutes. Pat clearly liked the guy and told me that after retiring, John was a postman in Carlisle. Story goes that at one of the houses John delivered too, a big bad dog lay in wait in the garden. Whenever anyone tried to enter the garden gate, the dog went ballistic .......... except when John entered and the dog scarpered around to the back of the house :greengrin

VivaHiberņa
04-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Bang on, English football has become obsessed with itself. I can't remember where I heard someone joke that the Premier League (or maybe Sky, or even both; it was something along those lines) as being akin to masturbating in front of a mirror: it made me laugh because it's very, very true.

The example I always bang on about now was when Walcott made a 2-0 hand gesture towards the Spurs fans in a cup game this season: who cares!? Those fans had presumably been screaming abuse at him the whole game (as they should be entitled to, especially in a derby) but the instant he winds them up a wee bit he's crucified for it in a storm of faux-outrage. Mental.

To continue my example/rant, take Skacel or Zaliukas. They both loved giving it the 5-1, loser gestures, etc. Of course, I hated them for it and made that quite clear to them but that's their right to do so. It's not as if come derby day we politely applaud the opposition. As fans we dish it out big-time and anyone who can't take a player giving it back can pee off and cry into their prawn sandwich as far as I'm concerned.

Football without the banter just wouldn't be football.

brog
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks for this Doddie. Brings back many happy memories of Big John who was one of my earliest heroes too.

A few years back I was in conversation with Pat Stanton and when I mentioned Big John, Pat's eyes lit up and he spoke about the man for a good ten minutes. Pat clearly liked the guy and told me that after retiring, John was a postman in Carlisle. Story goes that at one of the houses John delivered too, a big bad dog lay in wait in the garden. Whenever anyone tried to enter the garden gate, the dog went ballistic .......... except when John entered and the dog scarpered around to the back of the house :greengrin

John & Doddie, I remember the sending off at Ibrox only too well. It came in the LC semi replay after we had been robbed in the first game. 2-1 up into injury time ( 2 Neil M goals ) & Jim Scott keeping possession on the touchline by halfway. Was blootered into touch by Gemmell I think, would be a straight red now but at least it was Hibs throw. As Hibs player went to take throw the ball was pulled from his hands ( by Hughes I think ) Celtc took throw while Hibs players were going the other way & Lennox scored. No wonder BBJ took umbrage with Stein's hypocrisy when he was sent off in the replay.

--------
04-03-2014, 05:49 PM
John & Doddie, I remember the sending off at Ibrox only too well. It came in the LC semi replay after we had been robbed in the first game. 2-1 up into injury time ( 2 Neil M goals ) & Jim Scott keeping possession on the touchline by halfway. Was blootered into touch by Gemmell I think, would be a straight red now but at least it was Hibs throw. As Hibs player went to take throw the ball was pulled from his hands ( by Hughes I think ) Celtc took throw while Hibs players were going the other way & Lennox scored. No wonder BBJ took umbrage with Stein's hypocrisy when he was sent off in the replay.

Of course, the referees eventually forced John to move to England - not for reasons of political correctness, of course; they just couldn't stand seeing a player of his calibre playing for us.

I met a Newcastle fan a few years back, and got reminiscing about the Great Man. This lad asked me why on earth we'd let him go for less than Ģ30,000, so I explained about the vendetta against him - IIRC it was England, or a sine die after he told a wee fat Weegie ref called Crawley what he thought of him after Crawley sent him off against Killie in the League Cup for allegedly banjoing a ****bag called Bertelsen. (Crawley by name and Crawley by nature, him.) John's complaint was that if he HAD banjoed Bertelsen, there was absolutely no danger of Bertelsen getting back up for at least an hour. Bertelsen was on his feet as soon as John's name went in the Weegie's book. Simulation's nothing new.

Well, the Newcastle fan then told me of a day the Toon played DLU at St James's. DLU got a free-kick just outside the 18-yard line, wide on the left. Giles shaped up to take it, and Charlton lined up with Bremner and Hunter on the far side, ready to make his run. Bremner and Hunter were there to flatteen anyone who tried to get in Charlton's way.

Giles swung the ball in, Charlton started his run, shielded by Bremner and Hunter, up went Big John, the ball disappeared upfield at high speed, and Bremner, Charlton, and the Psychopathic Chimp all ended up on the backsides on the 18-yard line with Revie yelling for a penalty.

BBJ alone emerged vertical from the collision.

Like I say, if Carlsberg made centre-backs, John McNamee would be their pattern.

Football used to be a man's game.

Ģ100,000 fine, a formal warning, and more to come from the maiden aunties at the FA - for what? A wee contretemps that enlivened an otherwise dull and uneventful afternoon. :rolleyes:

brog
04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
As we're in reminiscing mood Doddie you may remember the LC game against Oldco when we won 3-2 with headers from Alan McGraw & BBJ in the last 10 mins, down the slope of course. When the winner went in ER went berserk & a young guy, from memory under 10 years of age, ran on to the pitch from near the corner of what would now be East & FF stands. Of course the Embra polis who had stood around all day watching Oldco fans wreak their usual havoc went after the lad like he was Billy the Kid. BBJ grabbed the lad, swung him up on his shoulders, carried him to the corner & then stood & faced the cops until the boy had disappeared into the crowd! Got an even bigger cheer than the goal, wonderful stuff. Great player, great man!

Alfred E Newman
04-03-2014, 08:03 PM
As we're in reminiscing mood Doddie you may remember the LC game against Oldco when we won 3-2 with headers from Alan McGraw & BBJ in the last 10 mins, down the slope of course. When the winner went in ER went berserk & a young guy, from memory under 10 years of age, ran on to the pitch from near the corner of what would now be East & FF stands. Of course the Embra polis who had stood around all day watching Oldco fans wreak their usual havoc went after the lad like he was Billy the Kid. BBJ grabbed the lad, swung him up on his shoulders, carried him to the corner & then stood & faced the cops until the boy had disappeared into the crowd! Got an even bigger cheer than the goal, wonderful stuff. Great player, great man!

I remember that! Great days.

edwards
04-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Love It very fond memories of BIG MAC took no prisoners and played for the shirt.

--------
05-03-2014, 08:42 AM

I'd forgotten about that. I was travelling back from holiday that day with my parents and heard the story the following Saturday at Stirling. That was the game just prior to the defeat at Killie when BBJ was sent off.

Nowadays he'd be charged with "obstructing the plods in the persecution of minors" and "conspiracy to pervert the course of injustice".
IIRC that was the game prior to the one at Killie where Crawley sent him off. His sending-off there, of course, was in no way related to the fact that we'd just beaten the Huns to go top of the LC group, or to the other fact that Crawley came from Glasgow and was a notorious blue-nose?

The Huns won the group by one point thanks to that 3-0 defeat at Killie - a draw would have seen us through but Crawley had his orders from Park Gardens Loyal.

And the kiddies on here think Craigie Thomson's corrupt! :rolleyes:

brog
05-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I'd forgotten about that. I was travelling back from holiday that day with my parents and heard the story the following Saturday at Stirling. That was the game just prior to the defeat at Killie when BBJ was sent off.

Nowadays he'd be charged with "obstructing the plods in the persecution of minors" and "conspiracy to pervert the course of injustice".
IIRC that was the game prior to the one at Killie where Crawley sent him off. His sending-off there, of course, was in no way related to the fact that we'd just beaten the Huns to go top of the LC group, or to the other fact that Crawley came from Glasgow and was a notorious blue-nose?

The Huns won the group by one point thanks to that 3-0 defeat at Killie - a draw would have seen us through but Crawley had his orders from Park Gardens Loyal.

And the kiddies on here think Craigie Thomson's corrupt! :rolleyes:

Yep, you're spot on. The major difference now of course is with greatly enhanced TV coverage & more recently, social media, refs just can't get away with what they did 40/50 years ago. And that is despite the MSM continuing to turn a blind eye to all misdemeanours committed by the OF.

--------
05-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Yep, you're spot on. The major difference now of course is with greatly enhanced TV coverage & more recently, social media, refs just can't get away with what they did 40/50 years ago. And that is despite the MSM continuing to turn a blind eye to all misdemeanours committed by the OF.

There was a game leter that season (I think) when Turnbull brought Aberdeen to ER. This was after BBJ had gone to Newcastle.

Now contrary to what some folks think, Turnbull really wan't into free-flowing, stylish football. His Aberdeen team was UGLY.

He had this winger - had got him from Motherwell - Pat Wilson. This guy was basically a poor man's Nobby Stiles, a nasty wee hacking, kicking, diving thug. Crawley was referee that day, and this character got a free on our players. By the hour mark he'd 'marked' most of our guys without Crawley even looking his way.

Then he went over the ball on Colin Stein, who went down hard and stayed down. There was a bit of head-tennis, then the ball broke to Wilson, who slipped and fell down on the ball. Bobby Duncan got there first, by which time Wilson's curled himself round the ball trying to prevent Bobby from playing it.

BAD idea.

Bobby looked towards the linesman - a gentleman from Dalkeith who went on to become a very well-respected referee in his own right.

The linesman looked away.

So Bobby gave the ball a tremendous welt hard into Wilson's gut.

I assure you - he played the ball. He was less than 20 feet away from me, down on the Main Stand touchline.

I assure you also - he gave it all the leather he had and then some.

The ball shot up vertically about 30 feet in the air. Bobby waited for it to come down, gave it a wee nod with his head, stepped over the writhing Wilson, and made for the Aberdeen penalty area, tracked by the linesman - who had seen nothing.

Wilson was subbed immediately (he could hardly walk) and Crawley remained oblivious.

Any of the oldsters guess the name of the gentleman from Dalkeith? :devil:

hibbybrian
05-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Any of the oldsters guess the name of the gentleman from Dalkeith? :devil:

I'd guess it's a certain Mr Bill Syme as I remember at the start of a 0-7 game, Mr George Davidson, the commentator, mentions that Referee Syme from Dalkeith has replaced Bill Mullan as he's unwell :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-03-2014, 03:25 PM

You're a gentleman and a scholar B :aok: I had forgotten about that wee lad and the memory is restored thanks to your post :thumbsup: That was a great game and there are details of it here http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=78077

--------
05-03-2014, 11:18 PM
I'd guess it's a certain Mr Bill Syme as I remember at the start of a 0-7 game, Mr George Davidson, the commentator, mentions that Referee Syme from Dalkeith has replaced Bill Mullan as he's unwell :wink:

Mr Syme it was. I still don't know why he was so interested in the HT scoreboard at just that particular moment, but Nelson (Horatio, not our current centre-back) would have been proud of him.

--------
05-03-2014, 11:48 PM
is this true ?

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9194449/John-Nicholson

I kinda like the stuff he mentions :devil:

:agree:

I remember a Rugby league game on TV in the 60's when a collie got onto the pitch and captured the ball. 26 players, a referee, two linesmen and the two team physios, and they still couldn't get that ball off that dug!

And what about those moments of sudden silence in the stadium, just when the goalie decides to tell the centre-half EXACTLY what he thinks of him? And his parents and grandparents to the third generation? In graphic detail?