PDA

View Full Version : Second Touch is a Tackle!

spike220
04-03-2014, 07:17 AM
There has been a lot said about poor first touch of players (i.e. first touch of baby elephant)

But who in our present squad has the best first touch?

and

Who out of past Hibs players had a great first touch?

hibbymark
04-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Griffiths most recently and I was a big fan of David Murphy who had a great first touch. Current squad probably Kevin Thomson for me.

GreenArmyyy!
04-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Past, David Murphy and Leigh Griffiths. Present, Watmore and Stanton.

basehibby
04-03-2014, 07:38 AM
There has been a lot said about poor first touch of players (i.e. first touch of baby elephant)

and

From memory, without being outstanding, Harris, Robertson, Heffernan, Thomson and Craig have a decent first touch - and Watmore and Haynes look to be decent on that score.

From history, Archiegoals stands out for me as having a first touch which was utterly sublime - you could hit the ball at Archie from pretty much anywhere and at any pace and he would bring it down, control it and often lay off an accurate pass or a goal bound shot - all in one sweet poetic movement - CLASS :not worth

TheFamous1875
04-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Kevin Thomson and Sam Stanton are the immediate two who spring to mind as good passers with a good first touch. They get in situations where they can use these abilities, whereas most of the rest of the squad wouldn't dare get in a tight situation as they'd lose the ball immediately.

Robertson, Nelson, Craig, McGivern, Cairney (who is skilful) all show a lack of composure almost every time they have the ball. As soon as they get it, it just bounces back off them and they have to chase it down! The fact that professional footballers regularly have trouble controlling the football is embarrassing and confusing.

I've not played football since I was 14, (I'm 23) but whenever I go for 5s (few times a year sporadically) my touch comes back after the third game or so, and it puts these professionals to shame as they play and practice 3-4 days a week for most of their lives.

For me, the trick is to be very gentle with the ball. Let it 'cushion' off your foot when having your first touch. Take all the power out of your foot and let it come to you. You're merely supporting the ball, not kicking it.

It just riles me as these guys obviously don't think it's worth being worked on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TRC
04-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Sauzee for me then Murphy recent years and Doyle both had great first touches. Kevin Harper I also seem to recall being gifted with a decent first touch. Just now stanton from what I've seen looks to have the ability to receive and pass in one movement

Cabbage East
04-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Franck and Murphy recently. Wouldn't trust any of the current bunch.

Hibbyradge
04-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Stevenson's touch is extremely reliable.

Steven_Hibs
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
James Collins present, Colin Nish past

Chump
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
I always remember Willie Miller having a very good first touch

RoslinInstHibby
04-03-2014, 09:10 AM
James Collins present, Colin Nish past

wind up eh?:greengrin

Liberal Hibby
04-03-2014, 09:11 AM
The ball always stuck to Mixu.

Weststandwanab
04-03-2014, 10:00 AM
James Collins present, Colin Nish past Really? and secondly seriously ?

What pub are you in ?

clerriehibs
04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Kevin Thomson and Sam Stanton are the immediate two who spring to mind as good passers with a good first touch. They get in situations where they can use these abilities, whereas most of the rest of the squad wouldn't dare get in a tight situation as they'd lose the ball immediately.

Robertson, Nelson, Craig, McGivern, Cairney (who is skilful) all show a lack of composure almost every time they have the ball. As soon as they get it, it just bounces back off them and they have to chase it down! The fact that professional footballers regularly have trouble controlling the football is embarrassing and confusing.

I've not played football since I was 14, (I'm 23) but whenever I go for 5s (few times a year sporadically) my touch comes back after the third game or so, and it puts these professionals to shame as they play and practice 3-4 days a week for most of their lives.

For me, the trick is to be very gentle with the ball. Let it 'cushion' off your foot when having your first touch. Take all the power out of your foot and let it come to you. You're merely supporting the ball, not kicking it.

It just riles me as these guys obviously don't think it's worth being worked on.

Coulda been a contender

heretoday
04-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Alex Cropley and John Collins had good football brains and great touch. It pains me to watch Barca and think they are just 11 guys like Hibs.

jacomo
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Frankly, not enough of the present squad seem like decent footballers. We used to have plenty of players who were comfortable receiving the ball - Boozy and Riordan also worth a mention.

heretoday
04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Actually the standard of touch in the entire SPL is pretty poor.

It makes you wonder if the guys practise in training at all or just rely on strength and basic ball skills to get by.

I can remember watching some Hibs players playing in the local park when I were't nipper. This was outside training and they obviously just loved playing 3 and In.

Marinello autographed my gymshoe on one occasion to general amusement. It was all a laugh. Happy days!

Hibiza
04-03-2014, 10:34 AM
one of the ball boys , main stand side or the "Tache's" barber. :flag:

PatHead
04-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Fletch of our recent players

PeterboroHibee
04-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I think Stanton probably has the best first touch, and from what Ive seen so far Collins has the worst.

SuperAllyMcleod
04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I always remember Willie Miller having a very good first touch

Yeah, me too, he used to bring down a long ball from the opposing keeper with his instep - always impressive.

Recently, O'Connor's second touch was a header - he had a terrible first touch.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Good:

Kev Thomson and Sam Stanton the best - Pres.

Murphy and Griffiths - Past.

Bad:

James Collins and Michael Nelson - Pres.

Rowan Vine and Amadou Konte - Past.

--------
04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Willie Hamilton. The ball just stuck to him, and if he didn't want you to have it, you didn't get it. Period.

He was the best I've ever seen for total control - he would make Messi look like a clogger and Ronaldo a prima-donna Fancy-Dan. That's no exaggeration, BTW - he player at ER against Real Madrid in 1965 and totally outshone every Real player on the pitch.

Peter Marinello - awesome for a teenager. Heartbreaking that he failed to make the grade; he could have been anything he wanted to be in the game.

Sloop - for a well-timed tackle and coming out with the ball at his feet, none better.

Paddy Stanton. :not worth

Joe Baker. :not worth

Latapy. Sauzee. Darren Jackson. Mickey Weir. Fletcher. KT. Peter Cormack.

This is depressing. Gonnae go and have a cry to myself.

Unseen work
04-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Playing in a high tempo spl game is a bit different to a game of five a sides with a ton of time tbf

Unseen work
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Stevenson, taiwo, Stanton and Thomson all seen to have very good touches

Collins, Robertson, Nelson all have poor control

TheFamous1875
04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Coulda been a contender

Conceded a long time ago that I'd just have to settle for being somebody instead!

--------
04-03-2014, 03:04 PM
http://beyondthelastman.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/hibernian-1970.jpg?w=770&h=

A few silky first touches in that team ....

eastterrace
04-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Fletch of our recent players

yes seen his first touch against man city, it was pure dead brilliant:wink:

heretoday
04-03-2014, 06:47 PM
http://beyondthelastman.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/hibernian-1970.jpg?w=770&h=

A few silky first touches in that team .... Wow! What a side that was! Cormack. McBride. They shoulda won something.

judas
04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
We seem to have a few players who like to touch tackle.

LaMotta
04-03-2014, 07:36 PM

Do you honestly think that your touch in a game of fives with your mates puts the touch of professionals to shame? Put any Hibs squad member from youth teams up to senior squad into your five a side game and they would stand out a mile.

If we then put you in a training match at East Mains with any of the Hibs squad, i can guarantee you that your touch would be absolutely horrendous in comparison to those around you.

Of course they work on their touch all the time, its crazy to think they don't!

HFC 0-7
04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Ray wilkins

TheFamous1875
04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Buggered up quote!

TheFamous1875
04-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Do you honestly think that your touch in a game of fives with your mates puts the touch of professionals to shame? Put any Hibs squad member from youth teams up to senior squad into your five a side game and they would stand out a mile.

If we then put you in a training match at East Mains with any of the Hibs squad, i can guarantee you that your touch would be absolutely horrendous in comparison to those around you.

Of course they work on their touch all the time, its crazy to think they don't!

In 5s , my touch looks better than some professional players you see at SPL level, but remember that I'm only playing 5s and 5s and I as indicators of footballing prowess are not worth a sook!

I just think for professional players, a lot of first touches are shocking, considering they do this day in, day out! They must know that they need to improve, and there should definitely be someone at our club reiterating that. I'm not the only one who feels this way about our skill and 'quality', hence this thread.

Hibercelona
04-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I never play football these days. But if I took a bad touch at East Mains, i'd blame Nelsons pass. :agree:

TheFamous1875
04-03-2014, 08:03 PM
I never play football these days. But if I took a bad touch at East Mains, i'd blame Nelsons pass. :agree:

I'd blame the forum for knocking my fragile confidence! ;(

Sir David Gray
04-03-2014, 08:07 PM
David Murphy had the best first touch of any player I have ever seen in a Hibs shirt.

erin go bragh
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Russell Latapy !! Surprised he hasnt been mentioned .
Le God and Archibald's first touch was unreal . Best had some first touch too . Dougie Bell,s first touch was no too shabby aswell .

Ggtth

LaMotta
04-03-2014, 08:23 PM
In 5s , my touch looks better than some professional players you see at SPL level, but remember that I'm only playing 5s and 5s and I as indicators of footballing prowess are not worth a sook!

I just think for professional players, a lot of first touches are shocking, considering they do this day in, day out! They must know that they need to improve, and there should definitely be someone at our club reiterating that. I'm not the only one who feels this way about our skill and 'quality', hence this thread.

What do you think the manager and his coaching staff do every day? :greengrin

Best first touch at Easter Road I've seen is Russell Latapy without a doubt.

Boozy was also class.

Jones28
04-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Fully disagree about Robertson, the others however have shamefully poor first touches

Hibrandenburg
04-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Benny Brazil.

heretoday
04-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Benny Brazil.

His first touch was surely to lace his boots and it went downhill from there.

Actually, is it me or did he score a hattrick against Celtic once?

frazeHFC
04-03-2014, 10:20 PM

I would say he has the best first touch in our squad just now, hardly has a bad first touch, but there's not too much competition!

Steven_Hibs
04-03-2014, 10:46 PM
wind up eh?:greengrin

Naturally :greengrin :wink:

Steven_Hibs
04-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Really? and secondly seriously ?

What pub are you in ?

:rolleyes: Some folk, honestly :greengrin :fishin:

shetlandhibee
04-03-2014, 11:49 PM

and

Haha was that me?:greengrin Probably I bit harsh.

The best ever player for overall ball control and what he could do with it was Latapy (one of the best in Europe for his controll)!:not worth

In the current hibs team it's hard to say because we got rid of several of them last year e.g. Claros, griffiths and even wotherspoon at his best. This year it's probably Stanton.:agree:

Centre Hawf
05-03-2014, 12:24 AM

The amount of times i've seen him kill dead one of Nelson's cannons up the park is actually surprising. More that Nelson found another player though.

Slicer
05-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Murphy got lots of praise for having a great first touch but shouldn't every professional player have a good first touch?

Not just a dig at Hibs players, players in general. Basic, basic stuff.

marinello59
05-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Murphy got lots of praise for having a great first touch but shouldn't every professional player have a good first touch?

:agree:
He rightly deserves the praise he gets but his touch stood out so much because we have so many footballers these days who don't have the basic skills.

Titch
05-03-2014, 06:24 AM
David Zitelli what a first touch he had
I remember sitting in the old east watching him warm up he kicked the ball as high as he could then practically caught it on his foot when it dropped

--------
05-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Absolutely. Just as every professional footballer should be able to control the ball, pass and shoot with BOTH feet.

But a lot of them still can't.

--------
05-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Russell Latapy !! Surprised he hasnt been mentioned .
Le God and Archibald's first touch was unreal . Best had some first touch too . Dougie Bell,s first touch was no too shabby aswell .

Ggtth

Ahem! He was mentioned yesterday at 2.25pm by yours truly.

Post #23.

Keep awake at the back there, boy! :wink:

BH Hibs
05-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Remember every throw in going to Stevie Archibald in the Miller days and the amount of times he'd spin away from the defenders was amazing. John Collins wiznae bad either from that same team.

BH Hibs
05-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Should have mentioned Darren Jackson as well in my last post with regard to taking the ball under control from the throw ins

heretoday
05-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Paco Luna. He was a quick wee guy, not blessed in the brains department perhaps but with Spanish ball skills.

I never see much mention of him on these boards.