PDA

View Full Version : Change in tactics

Unseen work
03-03-2014, 06:07 PM
When terry first came we were playing for territory so it seemed, plenty of crosses in the box and work of the scraps, pinning the team back in their box and they would struggle to get out and we were scoring quite a lot of goals. As well as looking very threatening from set pieces

What has happened to this?

I personally when was watching us thought at the time we needed to play more football and it was frustrating, but maybe that's they only way we have a real chance of climbing the league with the players we have?

I thought cairney was playing poor for us but at least with him he was getting a lot of assists

Anyone know why the change?

snooky
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
We should be building from the back. Alas, we have very few players who have sufficient skill to do that.
We have nobody in midfield or up front who is good in the air yet we continue to punt it.

If you are a real cynic, you could use a similar argument for not playing it on the carpet :wink:

Unseen work
03-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I would 100% prefer we try to play decent football but that's why am saying maybe we should go back to this tactic, as like you say no one in the current team seems capable of playing decent football

At least when we played this cross every 2 seconds and pressed them back to their own half we got a bit of belief and confidence in the squad.

yekimevol
03-03-2014, 10:24 PM
I think butcher really needs to have a look at his tactics to be honest. I think we really need to up top; i know that we have so many decent midfielders in the squad and he wants to play them but Haynes is getting bullied out of games, put Collins up top with him. Collins has a bit more of a physical stature and a striking partner might be what he needs.

Williams
Boateng Forster Hanlon Stevenson
Harris Stanton Thomson Craig
Haynes Collins

GreenCastle
03-03-2014, 10:34 PM
We were more direct when he came in - it wasn't always pretty but we created more and got results - we also had 2 forwards working together.

Now we seem to be direct but with 1 lone striker and no support and it's not working. If you play 1 striker you need to keep the ball and allow the support to get up and help him.

Playing out the back is what we should be doing but we have players like Nelson poor on the ball.

We lack a playmaker in midfield so we rarely dominate that area.

We have been lacking speed all over but recently Harris (still not fully fit) - Watmore and Haynes have showed they have some.

Lang Toun Hibs
03-03-2014, 10:36 PM
I think butcher really needs to have a look at his tactics to be honest. I think we really need to up top; i know that we have so many decent midfielders in the squad and he wants to play them but Haynes is getting bullied out of games, put Collins up top with him. Collins has a bit more of a physical stature and a striking partner might be what he needs.

Williams
Boateng Forster Hanlon Stevenson
Harris Stanton Thomson Craig
Haynes Collins

Harris...really? He needs to have a good 3 months or so back in the youth set up before we ruin him completely. Hopefully he can start next season like a new player. As for a change in tactics, what happened to the more direct route we were trying initially under Butcher and by that I mean direct with purpose and getting players forward and on the ball. Not the current aimless p1shy hopeful lob forward to our only forward player which is so slow and ponderous (the ball that is!) that any defence should be comfortable with it like Utd the other night but even the likes of Raith, no disrespect intended.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Craig and Nelson like am aimless punt. (Nelson more understandable because he is a CB)

My team vs Well would be:

Williams

Boateng
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern or Stevenson

Watmore
Stanton
Thomson
Cairney

Haynes
Heffernan

Kato
03-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Doens't matter what tactics we have. There's very little character on the park to make they are imposed.

Ronniekirk
03-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Doens't matter what tactics we have. There's very little character on the park to make they are imposed.
Who hasn't read their post , but as I am a Mindreader ,I do know what you mean :wink: