PDA

View Full Version : Was Mowbrays era one of your favourite times being a Hibs supporter?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
As it says on the tin, was it for you, if so, why? For me, dedinitely. Some of the young talent we had and attacking football we played was outstanding. Stadium sold out just about every week, playing good consistantly every week. The football we played then compared to now is night and day! Ah, I miss they days... Good times, good times:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
03-03-2014, 05:35 PM
My best experience was 18th March 2007 when John Collins was in charge but undoubtedly our best period since I have been going to see Hibs was under Mowbray.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Yep.

The football was good but for me it was a big adventure supporting Hibs then. A group of 4 of us travelled home and away from Aberdeen almost every week. Usually using public transport and generally consuming copious amounts of alcohol.

Of that group I'm the only one who attends regularly despite 3 of us living far closer to home these days. The other lives in London so he has an excuse.

Allant1981
03-03-2014, 05:39 PM
I hated us going into div 1 but had some cracking away days, and got to see guys like sauzee and latapy play

Waxy
03-03-2014, 05:43 PM
No.for me it was the early eighties.Even though we were pretty rotten it was when i started going to games every week.
counting the days till the next Hibs game.I remember we had to beat Dumbarton to stave off relegation and we took a big crowd to boghead (remember that place?).Games like that i'll never forgot, probably because i was a young lad then.When your older you tend to just moan and pick at little things to moan about,and i certainly don't count the days till the next hibs game anymore.
Nowadays it's more like oh no there's a Hibs game soon.

eggbamyasi
03-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Mowbrays era was good . But for me we were better under McLeish . Loved the football we played . 352 formation was super attacking and not played more exciting since imo . Just a pity it didnt last longer and rangers stole the big ginge . Luna , zittelli , sauzee , latapy , laursen , jack , mixu , yogi , and all our youngsters coming through , was exciting times . Season where we finished third was excellent a lot of really memorable games . Defo my fave era .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

GlenrothesHibee
03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Without a doubt. We were inconsistant but some of the football we played was outstanding. I remember standing ovations during games! The feel good factor at Hibs at that time was something else. The "upward spiral" as Mowbray called it. In those days, when we played the Old Firm i EXPECTED us to win and that says it all. I remember us playing both of them off the pitch at times. My best time watching Hibs by far.

bigwheel
03-03-2014, 05:50 PM
After the 70s , its was one of my high points.... We had better players under McLeish , but we bossed some games under Mowbray in a way I hadn't seen since Turnbull's days. I recall games against Celtic and Rangers at home in the same season, with Thomson and Brown in our engine room, where we played them both of the park. I hadn't seen us do that for many years (nor since!)

Smartie
03-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I loved it. Going to games expecting to win, Tannadice Pittodrie etc held no fears for us then.
I think it's easy to get nostalgic when things are as poor as they are now and I remember it wasn't always a bed of roses on here. We were a bit hit and miss in the derbies, sometimes very poor defensively and don't get me started on some of the goalkeeping! There was also a grim inevitability that we'd lose all our good players eventually.
That said, one of the most telling moments of the Mowbray era was when he came out with his "if we keep playing like that then we'll win more than we lose" I think after we'd chucked a big lead at home to Dundee. He was pilloried for it but was imo absolutely spot on and it feels like a long time since I enjoyed the football as much as I did back then.

hibeemikey21
03-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Clocked up some big wins during that period.

9-0 v Montrose
7-0 v livi (featuring snodgrass iirc)

Generally went out to score goals and worry about conceding later. Backfired spectacularly at times (4-4 v Dundee after being 4-1 up for example!)

Loved it!

snooky
03-03-2014, 05:59 PM
I was never Mogga fan. I thought he hit it lucky with the golden generation. :tin hat:
He did a few things that riled me.

Bobby's Cinema
03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Yes. The feelgood factor watching that team and racing along to the stadium every week was immense.

I miss that feeling of walking to Easter Road and expecting to win.

(This thread will rightly stay positive but it really brings on anger about how shockingly the money banked from that team has been mismanaged over the last few years)

Unseen work
03-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Not a real surprise the best team in the last 10 years has been a team that played the correct way with short sharp passing. All this be hard to be **** doesn't do it for me. Yes back then we would be frustrating as we might be inconsistent and make a couple of mistakes....but that's nothing compared to watching sh*** every week for the past however many seasons.

Fans are always far more understanding when they see the players trying to play, when the get frustrated when you get players hiding, hoofing it up the park it's understandable.

You want to enjoy football, of late that's not been the case

hibbybrian
03-03-2014, 06:15 PM
As it says on the tin, was it for you, if so, why? For me, dedinitely. Some of the young talent we had and attacking football we played was outstanding. Stadium sold out just about every week, playing good consistantly every week. Ah, I miss they days... Good times, good times:thumbsup:

Having never been at a match during Mowbray's time at Hibs, I obviously missed a treat, however, I doubt it will rank highest for those of my era for the following reasons:

1 - Season 1960-61 - beating Bayern Munich 3-2 away in pre-season followed by beating them 3-0 at ER in November , then Joe Baker hitting 9 in a 15-0 SC win against Peebles Rovers and 2 weeks later beating Barcelona 3-2 at ER then losing out to AS Roma in another European semi which we would have won under the away goals rule:rolleyes:

2- Season 1964-65 - having narrowly avoided relegation under Walter Galbraith the previous season, Hibs were on for the League/Scottish Cup double under Jock Stein until he deserted us in April 1965 to join Celtc. We beat Real Madrid 2-0 on Wednesday night, 7th October then beat Rankers at Ibrox 4-2 on the following Saturday:thumbsup: IIRC we beat Rankers 3 times that season

3 - 1965-66 scoring 20 goals between 18th and 25th September from a 4-0 win against Hearts then 11 goals against Alloa followed by 5 against Falkirk then 5 weeks later taking another 11 off Hamilton

4 - the Bob Shankley mid/late 60's with players like Stanton, McNamee, Madsen, Cormack, Jim Scott, Stein, Marinello, Quinn, Stevenson etc

5 - Willie MacFarlane's team which had the basis of the Tornadoes Team

6 - Tornadoes - nuff said! :not worth

Stantons Angel
03-03-2014, 06:27 PM
After the 70s , its was one of my high points.... We had better players under McLeish , but we bossed some games under Mowbray in a way I hadn't seen since Turnbull's days. I recall games against Celtic and Rangers at home in the same season, with Thomson and Brown in our engine room, where we played them both of the park. I hadn't seen us do that for many years (nor since!)

I have to agree with this post.

I grew up with Turnbulls Tornadoes and relished every game they played. The football was out of this world with everyone of them playing as a team should. Pure football in motion with Stanton leading the way!!!

The McLeish era in the old first division was amazing and some of the football then reminded me of the 70's era. The players brought in by McLeish were top class though some unheard of. But football they played and played well!

Mowbray inherited a bunch of raw kids who could play football and blended them in to an exciting young footballing team whose energy and talent enthralled the crowds home and away. As usual they were sold to the old firm and we had to start again.

The inbetween years we have had our ups and downs and won the league cup again in 2007. It should surely be time for the Hibs to rise again and show the skill and team work we supporters relish.

Meantime memories and hope keep us going!!!

.Sean.
03-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Without a doubt. Crowds were up, the place was buzzing, you were guaranteed goals and entertainment. Just a great time, proper excited all week at the prospect of getting along to Easter Road.

Night and day compared to rattling about in a big empty stadium watching the dross we've endured for the last five years.

Ray_
03-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Having never been at a match during Mowbray's time at Hibs, I obviously missed a treat, however, I doubt it will rank highest for those of my era for the following reasons:

1 - Season 1960-61 - beating Bayern Munich 3-2 away in pre-season followed by beating them 3-0 at ER in November , then Joe Baker hitting 9 in a 15-0 SC win against Peebles Rovers and 2 weeks later beating Barcelona 3-2 at ER then losing out to AS Roma in another European semi which we would have won under the away goals rule:rolleyes:

2- Season 1964-65 - having narrowly avoided relegation under Walter Galbraith the previous season, Hibs were on for the League/Scottish Cup double under Jock Stein until he deserted us in April 1965 to join Celtc. We beat Real Madrid 2-0 on Wednesday night, 7th October then beat Rankers at Ibrox 4-2 on the following Saturday:thumbsup: IIRC we beat Rankers 3 times that season

3 - 1965-66 scoring 20 goals between 18th and 25th September from a 4-0 win against Hearts then 11 goals against Alloa followed by 5 against Falkirk then 5 weeks later taking another 11 off Hamilton

4 - the Bob Shankley mid/late 60's with players like Stanton, McNamee, Madsen, Cormack, Jim Scott, Stein, Marinello, Quinn, Stevenson etc

My first game Brian was that Hamilton one and no I didn't think it would be the same every week, I thought we might get a clean sheet now and again :greengrin

Mr White
03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I was never Mogga fan. I thought he hit it lucky with the golden generation. :tin hat:

I don't buy into the theory that Mowbray got lucky with the young players we had; that was the reason he applied for the job imo. he knew full well the potential in the players that john park had brought through and he managed to develop them into a decent team pretty much straight away with some additions and moving some players on. Having said that he's been found out to be a pretty limited manager since and I didn't want him back last year as there's no way he would have recreated what we had 10 years ago.

Hibercelona
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I prefered the Duffy, Williamson, Mixu, Yogi, Calderwood and Fenlon eras myself.

It's so hard to choose with such a long line of successful appointments.

Steve20
03-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Much preferred the Sauzee/Latapy days. That team was better than Mowbrays team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't buy into the theory that Mowbray got lucky with the young players we had; that was the reason he applied for the job imo. he knew full well the potential in the players that john park had brought through and he managed to develop them into a decent team pretty much straight away with some additions and moving some players on. Having said that he's been found out to be a pretty limited manager since and I didn't want him back last year as there's no way he would have recreated what we had 10 years ago.

Where is Park now?

Hibercelona
03-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Much preferred the Sauzee/Latapy days. That team was better than Mowbrays team.

Indeed they were, but it was also at a steep price as well. The Mowbray team has been the best "within budget" team, for a few decades.

Elephant Stone
03-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Definitely, even when we drew or lost it was usually exciting. Think one of the best games was a draw actually, may have been against Dundee.

Mr White
03-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Where is Park now?

Celtic I think but as worldwide scout rather than youth development.

NotoriousLor
03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Where is Park now?

Is he not at celic?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Celtic I think but as worldwide scout rather than youth development.

Cheers. Why did he leave hibs?

Stax
Where is Park now?
Went to Celtic iirc

BOB MARLEYS DUG
Is he not at celic?

Ah, cheers:aok:

Mr White
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Cheers. Why did he leave hibs?

Dunno. Cash probably.

portycabbage
03-03-2014, 08:23 PM

9-0 v Montrose

Generally went out to score goals and worry about conceding later. Backfired spectacularly at times (4-4 v Dundee after being 4-1 up for example!)

Loved it!

If only the fifth goal (Riordan stunner) had stood - such a fragile lead at 4-1!:greengrin Also Snodgrass loved the fake tan in those days!

I would say the Mowbray era has to be one of the best (between that and McLeish in the time I've been watching), although as has been said, McLeish's team were pretty solid defensively as well as being good in an attacking sense. I've come to the definite conclusion that I can't decide between them.:wink:

jdships
03-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Got to go along with that totally !!
What has he done since then
Turnbull's time was better and Hugh Shaw , 1948/61 was even better with three league titles won and a win % of over 51%. !!!

:flag:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 08:37 PM
If only the fifth goal (Riordan stunner) had stood - such a fragile lead at 4-1!:greengrin Also Snodgrass loved the fake tan in those days!

I would say the Mowbray era has to be one of the best (between that and McLeish in the time I've been watching), although as has been said, McLeish's team were pretty solid defensively as well as being good in an attacking sense. I've come to the definite conclusion that I can't decide between them.:wink:

When he lashed it in with his left peg? :agree:

Weir7
03-03-2014, 09:08 PM

The John park myth. He didn't develop the golden generation. He didn't recruit them.

Mr White
03-03-2014, 09:29 PM
The John park myth. He didn't develop the golden generation. He didn't recruit them.

He helped develop them no? If not what was his role?

hibeemikey21
03-03-2014, 09:43 PM

5:30 on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tTGZAw4Jo

Absolute beauty, but often erroneously cited as being "from the touchline" :cb

GGTTH07
03-03-2014, 09:44 PM
As it says on the tin, was it for you, if so, why? For me, dedinitely. Some of the young talent we had and attacking football we played was outstanding. Stadium sold out just about every week, playing good consistantly every week. The football we played then compared to now is night and day! Ah, I miss they days... Good times, good times:thumbsup:
Defiantly, by a mile.

RIP Bestie
03-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I agree although he did supplement those guys with the likes of Murphy and Jones, which was important. He also made some shocking decisions like Zibi. You will not better the Tornadoes for me but I really enjoyed most of McLeish's reign. There were some wonderful players we had the privilege to watch at that time. The thought of Latapy and Sauzee in a Hibs strip still brings a smile to my face.

TRC
03-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Was it not 9-1 versus montrose

hibeemikey21
03-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Was it not 9-1 versus montrose

Nope

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/3130066.stm

TRC
03-03-2014, 09:57 PM
My mistake just checked the result was indeed 9-0 must have been the only hibby in easter Road that night who's face was tripping him when the ninth goal went in as I remember putting a 5er on hibs to win 8-0 it was the biggest win on the coupon, so must have erased it from the memory as it was a sore loss

ekhibee
03-03-2014, 10:07 PM
My mistake just checked the result was indeed 9-0 must have been the only hibby in easter Road that night who's face was tripping him when the ninth goal went in as I remember putting a 5er on hibs to win 8-0 it was the biggest win on the coupon, so must have erased it from the memory as it was a sore loss
You might have been thinking of when we played them more recently, maybe 2 or 3 seasons ago and beat them. I think it was 5-1, but I'm sure somebody'll correct me if I'm wrong.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Sort of off topic but who was playing for Livi when we horsed them 7-1? And who scored for them (or was it offside because i can't remember)? I remember being at the game and a lot of Hibs fans doing a sarcastic cheer when Livi eventually scored, me included (I was quite young) :greengrin

Cheers.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
You might have been thinking of when we played them more recently, maybe 2 or 3 seasons ago and beat them. I think it was 5-1, but I'm sure somebody'll correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. I remember Deek scored a peach that game! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khwaFIKHfck#

zlatan
03-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Sort of off topic but who was playing for Livi when we horsed them 7-1? And who scored for them (or was it offside because i can't remember)? I remember being at the game and a lot of Hibs fans doing a sarcastic cheer when Livi eventually scored, me included (I was quite young) :greengrin

Cheers.

It was 7-0, no? Wes Hoolahan played for Livi and Paul Lambert was manager. Think he got binned not long after.

Big Konte nearly scoring an overhead kick and dazzling backheel was the highlight of that game.

yekimevol
03-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Mowbrays days were the best to me. Great squad playing proper football and you never expected anything other than a win. Compare that to now, we expect to get a hammering everyweek with some hoofball thrown in.

Would love to see him back at hibs. we never won every week, but i'd rather see a 3-3 draw than a boring 0-0.

Jonnyboy
03-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Yes, I enjoyed the Mowbray years but the Tornadoes era was tops for me

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Absolute kamikaze defending against Dundee when 4-1 up. So I guess, that's stayed consistent at least...

The Baldmans Comb
03-03-2014, 11:27 PM

9-0 v Montrose

Loved it!

9:0 v Montrose was a Bobby Williamson team by about 6 months before Mowbray arrived.

Honest and truly.

7:0 v Livi included Champions League winner Paul Lambert playing for Livi in what must have been one of his last games before retiring.

silverhibee
03-03-2014, 11:47 PM

Don't forget Donald Park who brought most of them through.

silverhibee
03-03-2014, 11:50 PM
He helped develop them no? If not what was his role?

I would say Donald Park developed them, it was him who coached them.

3pm
04-03-2014, 04:37 AM
9:0 v Montrose was a Bobby Williamson team by about 6 months before Mowbray arrived.

Honest and truly.

7:0 v Livi included Champions League winner Paul Lambert playing for Livi in what must have been one of his last games before retiring.

12170 for a midweek game v Livvy!

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Turnbulls tornado's without question for me, in fact after it all went belly up I really did despair that it was never followed up properly by a decent manager, Mowbray came close but could never touch Eddie's style of play or players.

They were majestic.

Mr White
04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I would say Donald Park developed them, it was him who coached them.

Fair enough,I must be getting mixed up with the parks :greengrin either way, i feel the reason Mowbray came to hibs was because he knew how good our young players were and knew he could develop them further. Judgement rather than luck on his part imo.

zlatan
04-03-2014, 10:34 AM
7-0 highlights against Livi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8P-IpJy18

Craig_in_Prague
04-03-2014, 10:44 AM
McLeish team for me. Pure and utter class. Balanced, could defend and in Sauzee and Latapy I seen players of a calibre beyond what I could ever imagine. All the other players were important too and had soft spot for John O'Neil.

jacomo
04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Mowbrays days were the best to me. Great squad playing proper football and you never expected anything other than a win. Compare that to now, we expect to get a hammering everyweek with some hoofball thrown in.

Would love to see him back at hibs. we never won every week, but i'd rather see a 3-3 draw than a boring 0-0.

Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus ('Craig Levein's a f***ing *****') had an infectious enthusiasm for the game when they were at Hibs. That had gone by the time they pitched up at Celtc, never mind now.

Don't know what the big man's career plans are but it doesn't seem to have worked out for him.

Still, great times. We seemed to be a team who were going places back then.

Posh Swanny
04-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Mowbray is probably the main reason I follow Hibs. I'd been to the odd game under Williamson but must have averaged 10+ each season during Mowbray's time at the helm. The football his team played and the humble but enthusiastic way he talked about the game and the club was addictive.

His departure followed by the ugly Collins saga, added to the loss of the East has seen my attendance fall off dramatically in recent years as the club seems to bumble along from one disaster to the next with no clear sign of anything changing.

04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I loved the Mowbray era. We had a squad full of fantastic young talent, Brown, Deeks, O'Conner, Thompson, Whittaker, Murphy etc. Not only were we getting results but we were fantastic to watch, flowing, attacking, exciting football. I remember going into games even against the OF and hearts always confident of getting a result. The stadium sold out every week and the atmosphere was always top class because there was a real feel good factor and belief that the club was heading for good things. After the dark eras of Williamson, we finally had a good manager who had ambition and a golden generation of young stars.

Changed days indeed.

J-C
04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Don't forget Donald Park who brought most of them through.

You forgetting his namesake John who played a huge part in that too.

As an aside, although under Mowbray we had some good talent and exciting football but for me the Turnbull Tornadoes will never be beaten.

Ross4356
04-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Fantastic times under Mowbray best football I have ever seen Hibs play, but lets not forget how bad the keepers were!!

Brown, Malkowski & Makalambay

Pretty Boy
04-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Fantastic times under Mowbray best football I have ever seen Hibs play, but lets not forget how bad the keepers were!!

Brown, Malkowski & Makalambay

Makalambay was a Collins signing. A baffling one as well. We needed a steady pair of hands after a couple of horror shows and Andy McNeill having his confidence shot after being thrown in too soon with huge pressure on him. We got an untried youngster.

Malkowski getting a new deal from Mowbray was the ultimate baffling decision though. What was he thinking?

GlenrothesHibee
04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm too young for the tornadoes. I remember going along to see McLeish's team with my dad but Mowbrays team was my team. It just so happened that it coincided with me going along to the football almost every week with my mates for the first time with large ammounts of alcohol being consumed, Arctic Monkeys bursting on the scene, nights out in Edinburgh after games etc, brilliant times. No children or responsibilities in those days :wink: Of course there were major disappointments, losing Scottish Cup semi's to Dundee United and Hearts to name but two. But going to Ibrox and winning 3-0 with 5k+ Hibees telling the H**s to go home, playing Celtic off the park in their own back yard (more than once), the "we are unbeatable" game against them more than made up for it. That was my Hibs.

snooky
04-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Turnbulls tornado's without question for me, in fact after it all went belly up I really did despair that it was never followed up properly by a decent manager, Mowbray came close but could never touch Eddie's style of play or players.

They were majestic.

I've always liked the big man/wee man striking force.
e.g. Tosh and Rocky, (the original) Tosh and Keegan, etc...

Greencore
04-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I would say so yes I actually remember his first spl game against killie at home. I remember walking down the east steps with my brother. An old man said to me out loud "come on son sit soon your missing all the fun" hibs were play fast free flowing football. My first time at tynie we won 2-1 shiels and o'connor . Seeing hibs beat celtc 3-0 at celtc park also my first time. Beating hearts 2-0 when they claimed to be unbeatable.. Running on the pitch when we came third and got into Europe. Being on the hibs DVD hugging Boozy. Yep without a bloody doubt!

Gustavo Fring
04-03-2014, 10:58 PM
mowbray was good times but mcleish shades it for me , mainly for bringing us sauzee and for the 6-2 thumping of the ****

heretoday
04-03-2014, 11:29 PM
I thought McLeish was great for Hibs. We were promoted in one season and hit the ground running the next. Exciting times.

B.H.F.C
04-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Because I turned 18 just as he arrived it coincided with me getting proper days out at the football on a Saturday for the first time. The football was good. We took some massive crowds away with us and filled Easter Road. I saw us win at Parkhead and Ibrox for the first time under him. On the downside there was two semi final defeats and a bad quarter final defeat in the league cup up at Dundee Utd when we were leading until late on. Overall there were a lot more good games than bad. As with any Hibs manager, the bad ones were just really bad though.

Only thing I can really compare it to is McLeish. And his team had Sauzee and Latapy.

bigstu
04-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Under Mogga we got excitement, sometimes we got a doings but we could put up with that as often we won & always it was good attacking football. Most games we had endless amounts of chances & attacks & for all the goals we scored we missed a load of chances, nowadays we are lucky if we have a handful of attacks in a game.

It was exciting to go to ER back then!

Joe Baker II
05-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I think fact that the benefits and practicalities of Hibernian FC organising a season ticket for away matches was being discussed on this forum sums up how well Mowbray did.

Jonnyboy
05-03-2014, 04:27 PM
mowbray was good times but mcleish shades it for me , mainly for bringing us sauzee and for the 6-2 thumping of the ****

Both did well under very different circumstances to be fair. Eck spent big but Mowbray spent little or nothing. In reality, Eck had to spend but Tony was fortunate to have the golden generation in his sides

Yuillsy
05-03-2014, 05:13 PM
The McLeish era for me. It was probably the only time as a Hibby I felt we would win every single derby we went into. Mowbrays team was exciting and brilliant although inconsistent which was to expected with such a young team.
My 1st game was in the mid 80's and I can only remember snippets but the 1st really good team I remember was the early 90's under Miller. Signing Wright was a master stroke but the following seasons adding Jackson, O'Neill and McAllister made that a decent time to be a Hibby!

Greenblood70
05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Great days under Mowbray, Collins and McLeish. For different reasons I also enjoyed Miller's team with Crunchie, O'Neill, Jackson and Keef etc. Club had something about it then, it's just a soulless husk these days. Games are a chore and it feels like everyone from the Board, to players and supporters are just going thru the motions.

GORDONSMITH7
06-03-2014, 02:05 AM

Spot on Brian........and the genius Willie Hamilton.

GGTTH

BIG G

JimBHibees
06-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Makalambay was a Collins signing. A baffling one as well. We needed a steady pair of hands after a couple of horror shows and Andy McNeill having his confidence shot after being thrown in too soon with huge pressure on him. We got an untried youngster.

Malkowski getting a new deal from Mowbray was the ultimate baffling decision though. What was he thinking?

Wasnt it just. Maybe Zibi was making so much in Lithuanian currency at the time that he accepted a reduced contract much to Hibs surprise. :greengrin.

Hibernia&Alba
06-03-2014, 03:04 PM
I would say yes, the Mowbray period was my happiest time as a fan so far. I'd love to see another Hibs team that entertaining.