PDA

View Full Version : David Murphy Retires

AJWisme
03-03-2014, 08:49 AM
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-defender-david-murphy-6764267

Absolutely gutted for him. One of my first heroes at Easter Road.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Terrible news for him, genuinely gutted for the man. :boo hoo:

#FromTheCapital
03-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Great player. Sorry to hear that

CyberSauzee
03-03-2014, 08:57 AM
A real shame, a great full back for us.

The Sea-gull
03-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Real shame, he is only 30 too. Funnily enough I had just the other week looked at his contractural situation and saw he was available in the summer and was going to post on here to see what people thought about us going for him.

I was aware he had had injury problems so not totally surprised by the news and am sure the decision has not been made lightly. Usually when a player retires through injury that is it - even if they change their minds any future clubs will now be wary of signing him following this decision. Suppose players have to think not just about their playing career but also how carrying on may affect them later on in life and if medical experts say continuing with pro football could affect your mobility further down the line then you have to give it up.

This has got me thinking, so many of the "golden generation" have effectivel finished or reduced their careers at around the 30 mark. I don't think, for various reasons, O'Connor, Riordan, Thomson, Boozy and now Murphy are where they thought they might be at this age. Even Ian Murray's career took a sharp downward turn earlier than he would have expected.

Only Whittaker and Brown are really in a place where they can say the vast majority of their careers haev panned out the way their ability should have seen them go. You could even argue that Brown should really have played for a decent EPL team though that has more been through his choice perhaps than lack of opportunity.

Look at how many of them have suffered injury plagued too. O'Connor, Brown, Thomson, Murray, Boozy and Murphy have all had injury problems thoughout their careers. Even the likes of Gary Caldwell and Michael Stewart had their troubles with injury though am not sure if Stewart retired due to injury. Perhaps as sign that a lot of these guys played too much intensive football when they were younger?

greenpaper55
03-03-2014, 09:05 AM
A player with a wee bit of class that cost us next to nothing, compare him to what we have just now and you see where our troubles lie.

hibsbollah
03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Best first touch ive seen at ER. One of my favourite players and our best left back in the last thirty years.

I wish him success outside of football.

MSK
03-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Murphy was an excellent full back ..loved watching him play ....no-one has "owned" the left back slot since he went tae Birmingham ..

IWasThere2016
03-03-2014, 09:12 AM
:boo hoo:

johnbc70
03-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Best first touch ive seen at ER. One of my favourite players and our best left back in the last thirty years.

Amazing first touch, best I have seen at ER.

lord bunberry
03-03-2014, 09:16 AM
He was a cracking left back who was great going forward. I would love to see him come back up for a game at some point so we could show how much he meant to the hibs supporters.

Reaper
03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Wish him well. Great player, bags of talent and was genuinely proud to play for the club. Others could do worse than follw his example.

Cabbage East
03-03-2014, 09:28 AM
That is brutal. Murphy had one of the best first touches I've ever seen, was also a great tackler and really grafted every game. He was also a good finisher.

Sad news.

Anyone remember that game against United when he absolutely emptied one of their players right in front of the east. The noise was outstanding :faf:
Won the ball too...

The Sea-gull
03-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Murphy was an excellent full back ..loved watching him play ....no-one has "owned" the left back slot since he went tae Birmingham ..

Yip, I think it is fair to say that nobody has nailed either full back slot convincingly for any decent length of time since Murphy and Whittaker left. Maybe McGivern is about as close as we have come to a natural first choice full back for any decent period of time and even then there are question marks over him and whether it is his best postition.

To think, some fans didn't even rate Whittaker as a right back as they didn't think he was good enough defensively. In the 7 years since he left I don't think we have even come close to finding a right back have as reliable as Whittaker.

maturehibby
03-03-2014, 09:39 AM
as he was such a good player for both clubs maybe a Benefit game could be arranged between Hibs and Birmingham on a home and away basis with perhaps a Donated Cup going to the winners On the day of the League cup win against Killie when interviewed you could see and hear his emotions about the crowd singing Sunshine on Leith - was good for us and I am sure he donated part of his signing on fee to Hibs for Youth development .
so sorry to see him go but still have lots of happy memories about him - the best being when he scored at Ibrox in a 1-0 win which briefly put Hibs on top of the Premier league under John Collins

jacomo
03-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Amazing first touch, best I have seen at ER.

I'm afraid the other player gets the point on this occasion.

Thank you for playing Hibs.net bingo! :wink:

green.and.white
03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Really sad news, was a class act. All the best Murph :flag:

calumhibee1
03-03-2014, 09:56 AM
That is brutal. Murphy had one of the best first touches I've ever seen, was also a great tackler and really grafted every game. He was also a good finisher.

Sad news.

Anyone remember that game against United when he absolutely emptied one of their players right in front of the east. The noise was outstanding :faf:
Won the ball too...

That was one of the best tackles I've ever seen. It used to be on youtube, I actually had a look for it the other day but can't find it anymore.

Gutted for Murphy, one of my favourite Hibs players ever. :agree:

sadtom
03-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Sad to hear. One player I would have loved to have seen back at ER.
Terrific player, beautiful first touch and will always remember his gesture of donating some of his transfer fee to the youth development.
Classy player and even classier guy.
Best of luck for the future Murph.
GGTTH

Cabbage East
03-03-2014, 10:09 AM
That was one of the best tackles I've ever seen. It used to be on youtube, I actually had a look for it the other day but can't find it anymore.

Gutted for Murphy, one of my favourite Hibs players ever. :agree:

Was a beauty. Surely one of the internet geeks on here can track it down?

Onion
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Gutted for him. Terrific player and great professional. Hearing him speak after the 2007 LCF, came across as an intelligent, articulate guy who might be cut out for management.

Hopefully not the last we see of Murphy in football.

BT58
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
sorry to hear this news,,,i was hoping he may have come back to us at some point,,,,scored a few crackers

ekhibee
03-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I echo all the sentiments on here about David Murphy, he was a good, skillful player with pace too. He always had good things to say about Hibs, even after he left. A loss to the game, even at 30, hope he continues in some footballing capacity i.e. coaching, management.

Chuck Rhoades
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Have the biggest man crush on him, ever.

ekhibee
03-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Yip, I think it is fair to say that nobody has nailed either full back slot convincingly for any decent length of time since Murphy and Whittaker left. Maybe McGivern is about as close as we have come to a natural first choice full back for any decent period of time and even then there are question marks over him and whether it is his best postition.

To think, some fans didn't even rate Whittaker as a right back as they didn't think he was good enough defensively. In the 7 years since he left I don't think we have even come close to finding a right back have as reliable as Whittaker.
I'm probably one of those fans, partially anyway. Whittaker was great going forward, and a really great passer of the ball too, but I thought he got caught out of position far too often in the right back position, and several times got caught upfield with nobody covering the right back area. At that time we had a choice of **** goalies such as Zibbi and Simon Brown and even though they were rank they didn't get enough protection down that side. Great player though, apart from that it was hard to fault him.

Soldiersteve
03-03-2014, 10:29 AM
David Murphy: Class act.
That is all.

Winston Ingram
03-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Absolutely gutted for the boy.

We were so lucky to have him. Should have spent his whole career in the EPL and was good enough to play for his country.

I remember watching Curtis Davies of Hull talking about him before Christmas. Said he was the best left back he's played with.

Awful news :boo hoo:

:not worth

brog
03-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Superb player & an absolute gentleman. He was London Hibs' POTY a few years back & we had the great pleasure of meeting with him after a match. Probably, along with Boozy, Tony Mowbray's finest capture. Good luck Murph & thanks!

LeithBoozy
03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
The lads above who mention Murphy killing the ball stone dead, no matter how hard or fast it came to him are bang-on. I met him once at a calendar signing at ER, most of the golden generation had already moved-on and I told him no doubt be would be next as he was different class. How I wish I was proved wrong, all the very best to you in the future David and thanks for all the great memories of a class full-back. :hibees

jonty
03-03-2014, 11:06 AM

:agree:
It doesn't matter which direction the ball was coming from or how fast it was travelling, he made it look effortless.
Solid player and a such shame he's had to retire so young.

Mr White
03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Probably, along with Boozy, Tony Mowbray's finest capture. Good luck Murph & thanks!

:agree: adding murphy,boozy and shiels to the young players and journeymen we already had set the wheels in motion for the great football we witnessed for 3 years. Gutted for DM, best left back I've seen playing for hibs.

Broken Gnome
03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Great thing about him and Whittaker were that at Easter Road we could be level or behind at half time, and you just knew we'd batter teams in the second half. Not always successfully, but those two meant we'd spend a whole half attacking.

Long time ago now :(

MSK
03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I remember folk saying Murphy lacked pace (Although, I could be wrong though) & this prevented him from playing at a much higher level, if so he made up for that with his other fantastic attributes such as (mentioned on a few posts) his ability to trap & control a ball no matter the pace, tenacious tackling, reading of the game, attacking/support, team player, ultra reliable & not forgetting, he could fair ping in a free kick or cross ..overall, a brilliant, natural full back & an absolute pleasure to watch throughout his time at hibs. Delighted that he left with a cup winners medal too.

jonty
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I remember folk saying Murphy lacked pace (Although, I could be wrong though) & this prevented him from playing at a much higher level, if so he made up for that with his other fantastic attributes such as (mentioned on a few posts) his ability to trap & control a ball no matter the pace, tenacious tackling, reading of the game, attacking/support, team player, ultra reliable & not forgetting, he could fair ping in a free kick or cross ..overall, a brilliant, natural full back & an absolute pleasure to watch throughout his time at hibs. Delighted that he left with a cup winners medal too.

:greengrin My ST was lower west, towards the FF end when Murphy first joined us. In his first game he came thundering towards, blowing out his arse and looking overweight.

It was a case of "WTF have we got here!" but even then his touch was impressive. The rest, as they say, is history.

Betty Boop
03-03-2014, 11:48 AM
David Murphy a class act and so good looking ! :greengrin

3pm
03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Only ever had 2 names printed on the back of my strips. One was Sauzee, the other was Murphy.

Amazing player.

hibsbollah
03-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Out of interest, I wonder how our older posters would rate him against Eric Schaedler? (I saw Shades right at the end of his career only and wouldn't say I saw him at his peak). I think its inarguable that Murphy was the best left back in the thirty years since Shades left us, certainly.

Ross4356
03-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Best first touch I have ever seen in the flesh and as good as any I've seen full stop

MSK
03-03-2014, 11:58 AM
:greengrin My ST was lower west, towards the FF end when Murphy first joined us. In his first game he came thundering towards, blowing out his arse and looking overweight.

It was a case of "WTF have we got here!" but even then his touch was impressive. The rest, as they say, is history.I think its fair tae say his bum filled his shorts well ...:greengrin

No that I was looking at his bum likes ..think my Wife pointed that oot tae me ..:whistle:

Fife-Hibee
03-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Sad news.

Won the ball too...

Liked the goal he scored at home when he ran the lenght of the pitch with the ball, played a quick 1 2 and slammed the ball home ! GOD how i miss that team :-(

superfurryhibby
03-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Out of interest, I wonder how our older posters would rate him against Eric Schaedler? (I saw Shades right at the end of his career only and wouldn't say I saw him at his peak). I think its inarguable that Murphy was the best left back in the thirty years since Shades left us, certainly.

Shades is more of hazy impression for me than a clear memory (especially his first spell at ER) but I would say that Murphy was a much more complete footballer. He certainly scored more goals. Shades was probably a better defender and more physical in his approach, though you couldn't say that Murphy ever shirked a tackle.

Good luck to David Murphy, he is one of an elite band of players, a cup winner for the Hibees!

SteveHFC
03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
:(

One of the best defenders I've seen at Hibs in my lifetime so far:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
03-03-2014, 12:13 PM
One of the best players i've seen in a Hibs shirt.

I have some great memories of him and he's welcome back any time.

Really sorry to hear this news.

JoeT_WasTheBest
03-03-2014, 12:13 PM

It was a case of "WTF have we got here!" but even then his touch was impressive. The rest, as they say, is history.

:agree: I remember first half v Rangers at Ibrox, very early in the season, thinking he was having an absolute stinker and wondering what kind of player we had on our hands. From the second half of that game until he left, I got my answer :greengrin

Fantastic player, one of the best defenders I've seen at ER.

BSEJVT
03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Really sorry to hear this news

Great footballer, composed and classy and a nice guy as well.

As to earlier posters question re him and Shades, too different to contrast, both very special in their own ways.

Probably the only 2 memorable left backs in 40 odd years watching Hibs, although Graeme Mitchell, without being in their class wasn't too bad either.

Sincere best wishes to David in everything he does going forward.

Golden Bear
03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
An excellent player who with a little bit more pace, would have been international class.

All the best for the future Murph - you were a good 'un.

number 27
03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
That is a great shame. I wish him all the best for the future whether that is within football or not.

I always felt that there were a raft of inferior players playing regularly for top premiership clubs. If he had only been a wee bit quicker I think he would have been a good enough footballer to play for England.

Spudster
03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Funnily enough I had just the other week looked at his contractural situation and saw he was available in the summer and was going to post on here to see what people thought about us going for him.

Done the exact same thing last week. Gutted for him, just turned 30 too.

KeithTheHibby
03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Gutted for him. Best left back I have ever seen in my time at Hibs. Helluva nice guy in person too.

Always thought he would end up back at ER.

Good luck Murph in whatever you do next.

Makaveli
03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Horrible news.

A wonderful player who added so much to a great side.

Thanks for the memories.

Leishy1995
03-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Classy attacking and defending. My hero as a younger full back.

That free kick at Tynecastle vs St Johnstone, I wish I could relive it. Thanks David, hope you get to coach or manage as you always seemed intelligent enough to do so

Bronson
03-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Gutted, one of my favourite hibs players ever.

Would welcome him back as a coach at hibs should he want to go into that side of the game, a few of our lads could learn a lot from him.

green.and.white
03-03-2014, 01:15 PM
He would be one of the very few stick-ons in my 'best Hibs XI that I have seen in the flesh' :thumbsup:

FastEddieFelson
03-03-2014, 01:32 PM
his goal at parkhead was brilliant. not to mention scoring the winner at ibrox and the freekick which put us into the league cup final in 2007.

what a guy.

portyhibernian
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Murph was a Rolls Royce of a player in the SPL at a time when the standard was quite a bit higher than it is now, and without doubt our best full back (left or right sided) for a many a year. Sad to see he's had to retire. I hope he stays in the game in some capacity.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Gutted. A vital part of out team in the Mowbray era. The best fullback I have seen whilst watching Hibs. So sad to hear this!! All the best David and thanks for the memories when you were at Hibs, class act.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Great player.

Gutted for him as he deserved to play at a very good level.

Hibercelona
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
A fantastic player, really sad news as it's still a bit too young for a player of his calibre to retire.

Remember him scoring an absolute raker at Tynecaslte against St Johnstone in the CIS cup to help us on our way to the final. :not worth

Hopefully he can still enjoy football somewhere at a lower level, (hint hint :wink:) if it's still safe enough for him to play.

SteveHFC
03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
A fantastic player, really sad news as it's still a bit too young for a player of his calibre to retire.

Remember him scoring an absolute raker at Tynecaslte against St Johnstone in the CIS cup to help us on our way to the final. :not worth

Hopefully he can still enjoy football somewhere at a lower level, (hint hint :wink:) if it's still safe enough for him to play.

Loved his goal against Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup only a few weeks later :not worth

RIP Bestie
03-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Very good player. Good luck Murph, I really hope things work out well. Really sad news.

Hibercelona
03-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Loved his goal against Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup only a few weeks later :not worth

Two 25 yard crackers in the space of a few weeks. :agree:

NYHibby
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
so sorry to see him go but still have lots of happy memories about him - the best being when he scored at Ibrox in a 1-0 win which briefly put Hibs on top of the Premier league under John Collins

That was the first Hibs game I ever attended. It has all gone downhill for me...

jonty
03-03-2014, 02:26 PM
That was the first Hibs game I ever attended. It has all gone downhill for me...

AHA - So its YOUR fault! :greengrin

MSK
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Classy attacking and defending. My hero as a younger full back.

That free kick at Tynecastle vs St Johnstone, I wish I could relive it. Thanks David, hope you get to coach or manage as you always seemed intelligent enough to do soThis one .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE393D89ED508F4D8&v=TJV8RfrOOaA&feature=player_detailpage

Mr White
03-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Straight onto big jones' napper from the corner for the first in the final too.

MSK
03-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Straight onto big jones' napper from the corner for the first in the final too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUw9AERohM

weonlywon6-2
03-03-2014, 03:05 PM
and what about that corner kick in the cup final,just brilliantly executed onto rob jones head

patlowe
03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Did he not score a good goal at home to Celtic too? A 2-2 in which Boozy ripped the **** out of Lennon all game IIRC.

So that's a left back that scored 2 goals against Celtic, a winner against Rangers and a goal in a LC semi-final. Big game player.

The_Horde
03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
What I'd Mcgive for a player of the Murph's class at left back now.

jonty
03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUw9AERohM

While we're on the youtubes - Any excuse to dig this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ
Cracking tackle/pass by Murphy for the first :thumbsup:

heretoday
03-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I hope he made enough loot out of the game to allow him to put his feet up for a bit!

He played in a Hibs team that was strong and made other teams back off. It's not that long ago either.

The sort of players we have now are pygmies compared to that side. What happened?

jonty
03-03-2014, 03:29 PM
I hope he made enough loot out of the game to allow him to put his feet up for a bit!

He played in a Hibs team that was strong and made other teams back off. It's not that long ago either.

The sort of players we have now are pygmies compared to that side. What happened?

This is spooky. It took me to this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4X4E4inkEg and sounds like current manager commentating! That lot don't look too tall either.
On top of that, it has the golden generation being managed by a smiling bobby Williamson. How the memory plays tricks!

Winston Ingram
03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
This is spooky. It took me to this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4X4E4inkEg and sounds like current manager commentating! That lot don't look too tall either.
On top of that, it has the golden generation being managed by a smiling bobby Williamson. How the memory plays tricks!

I think the crowd were at the cinema that night

heretoday
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Not absolutely sure what point you are trying to make but thanks for the video. Great stuff.

jdships
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
GROSSLY underrated player IMHO - a real " thoroughbred " :top marks
Blessed with arguably the best first touch I have seen since Gordon Smith
Good luck to him in the future - at 30 too young to be on the scarp heap !!

green.and.white
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
;3922197']What I'd Mcgive for a player of the Murph's class at left back now.

I see what you did there. This thread and the memories won't make it any easier for him won't it haha!

Heisenberg
03-03-2014, 04:02 PM
An absolutely fantastic player for us. Signed on a free transfer, 3rd place finish, cup winner and then sold on for a good fee. Such a shame he's had to call it a day at only 30.

Wighty76
03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Cracking player. I hope he gets to see all these messages so he knows what he means to us all. All the best :thumbsup:

Jones28
03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
My favourite player and a class act. Gutted to hear this!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Cracking player. I hope he gets to see all these messages so he knows what he means to us all. All the best :thumbsup:

:agree::top marks

Jack Hackett
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Out of all the players we lost from that team, I think his departure had the biggest impact. We haven't had anyone with his ability to bring the ball from the back since he left.

Gutted for him. Thanks for the memories David :not worth

snooky
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Class class class :agree:
It was worth the gate money to watch him kill a ball in mid air and drop it at his feet.
"When will we see your likes again" David?

weonlywon6-2
03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
While we're on the youtubes - Any excuse to dig this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ
Cracking tackle/pass by Murphy for the first :thumbsup:

watching these videos ahows how far we have fallen,we can only dream of playing like that again for a while.hey ho

neil7908
03-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Amongst all the players in that Mowbray era, despite others probably being more talented or achieving more in the game, Murphy was my favourite.

He was just a pure 100% professional - no badge kissing, just a guy who gave everything on the pitch for the team, gave us a few years and when it was time to go ensured the club got a bit of cash out of his departure.

Solid in the tackle, great going forward and a cracking left foot - if we could find another left back with half his ability I'd be delighted.

I'd love to see a testimonial or some kind of game between ourselves and Birmingham to give him a bit of a send off.

woodythehibee
03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Terrible news. As stated, Murphy was a class act both on and off the park.

Hiber-nation
03-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Just a quality football player, amazing 1st touch, great tackler and passer, chipped in with a good few goals too. One of my all-time favourite Hibs players.
Very sad to hear but hope he has a great career in whatever he does next.

Barney McGrew
03-03-2014, 06:14 PM
First and foremost Murph is an absolute gentleman, he knew how much the club meant to all of us and gave 100% everytime he put on a Hibs jersey to repay the faith we showed in him.

I'd always hoped we'd have seen him back at ER at some point for a wee career swan song, unfortunately it's not to be.

Best of luck for the future David.

Flanny boy
03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
All the best for the future murph your quality
is sadly missing.thanks for the memories David

Broken Gnome
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
He also set up a few against Hearts, including the second in the unbeatable game.

Great interview after the final too. No fawning, no OTT gushing, just respectful and showed what it meant. So he'll at the very least he'll always soundtrack Sunshine on Leith on that video.

Cabbage East
03-03-2014, 06:27 PM
One of my favourite videos on youtube but impossible to find due to the stupid title :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EJn1mAukc&index=184&list=FLYA93ohhR948AwMFxhhfQiw

Murph :not worth

Tell you what, someone with a bit time on their hands should arrange a collection and presentation for him.

Hibercelona
03-03-2014, 06:30 PM
One of my favourite videos on youtube but impossible to find due to the stupid title :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EJn1mAukc&index=184&list=FLYA93ohhR948AwMFxhhfQiw

To see passing and movement like that again... :boo hoo:

The_Horde
03-03-2014, 06:35 PM
To see passing and movement like that again... :boo hoo:

Oh and for Brian Kerr and AOB.

hihohibby
03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Sad news indeed. David Murphy was without doubt the best left back I have seen in a Hibs jersey since Erich Schaedler.
Thank you David for so many great memories and good luck.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Amongst all the players in that Mowbray era, despite others probably being more talented or achieving more in the game, Murphy was my favourite.

He was just a pure 100% professional - no badge kissing, just a guy who gave everything on the pitch for the team, gave us a few years and when it was time to go ensured the club got a bit of cash out of his departure.

Solid in the tackle, great going forward and a cracking left foot - if we could find another left back with half his ability I'd be delighted.

I'd love to see a testimonial or some kind of game between ourselves and Birmingham to give him a bit of a send off.

Agre with all of that, even more so with the bit in bold. Fantastic idea:top marks

portycabbage
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Agre with all of that, even more so with the bit in bold. Fantastic idea:top marks

Second the testimonial idea, saddened to hear the news about a superb player for us. I remember a goal he scored with his right, I think against Livi(?) at the away end, cut inside and curled into the top corner. I also remember that if the opposition played the ball right into the corner behind him, and he was going to retrieve it with a forward hot on his heels, I felt I didn't need to try and lean forward to see past the gantry etc in the old east to see what would happen, because I knew in a few seconds he would have passed it to a team mate. That was the confidence I had in him, there was simply no way he would lose it.

Stax
03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Quality. Pure and simple. Remember his interview on the pitch after the final, genuine and heartfelt. All the best Murph, thanks for some cracking memories :not worth

Hibercelona
03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
;3922399']Oh and for Brian Kerr and AOB.

Sad thing is, I think I would take them at the moment.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Second the testimonial idea, saddened to hear the news about a superb player for us. I remember a goal he scored with his right, I think against Livi(?) at the away end, cut inside and curled into the top corner. I also remember that if the opposition played the ball right into the corner behind him, and he was going to retrieve it with a forward hot on his heels, I felt I didn't need to try and lean forward to see past the gantry etc in the old east to see what would happen, because I knew in a few seconds he would have passed it to a team mate. That was the confidence I had in him, there was simply no way he would lose it.

Great stuff. Murph was superb:thumbsup:

.Sean.
03-03-2014, 07:23 PM
An outstanding talent, my favourite ever Hibs player. Genuinely saddened by the news, especially with it coming not long after his cup-winning teammate Chris Hogg was also forced to retire early. Wish him all the best and hopefully he comes up for a game in the near future. Always welcome back.

Www1875hfc
03-03-2014, 07:29 PM

This says it all really. :agree:

KeithTheHibby
03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
100 comments now and everyone of the same opinion, the lad was different class.

At times like this it's great to look back on a Hibs player from recent years and collectively unite in support for a top bloke and player.:flag:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Got a pic of him playing for us in my room. Been there for years and will stay there for many more:agree:

Capt Mainwaring
03-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear the news on this. Great player, class act and never to be forgotten contribution to the League cup run and Hampden win

Best wishes David - thanks for the memories

nonshinyfinish
03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Sad news, one of my favourite players.

Great to see the strength of feeling on here - I hope a link to this thread finds its way to him somehow.

Jack Hackett
03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Got a pic of him playing for us in my room. Been there for years and will stay there for many more:agree:

Wow! Did he damage any of your furniture? :greengrin

snooky
03-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Naw, but he out jumped a tallboy.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Yeah, but I let him off:greengrin

Iggy Pope
03-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Sad news, one of my favourite players.

Great to see the strength of feeling on here - I hope a link to this thread finds its way to him somehow.

He should also know that the present Mrs HH has seldom been the same since he got in the lift with us in Dinaburg.
What a good-looking boy.

truehibernian
03-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I think Hibs should try and invite Murphs up post split, perhaps the derby at ER if we are bottom 6 - be a good send off from fans who really appreciated his efforts up here. Be good to see him again, great great player.

lugz
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Gutting news about one of my favourite ever Hibs players. Agree with others that I hope we see him back at ER to show our appreciation or a match against Birmingham. Both set of fans seem to love the guy.

edwards
03-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Tell you what, someone with a bit time on their hands should arrange a collection and presentation for him.

Just a great football player murphy was the man.
Thats what Dundee Utd done to us on Friday

The Modfather
03-03-2014, 08:34 PM
C'mon, someone must have THAT tackle by "The Murph" in front of the terracing.

I can still hear the rattling of shin pads and picture the look of "what just happened" on the Utd players (Jamie Mcunnie?) face.

Jack Hackett
03-03-2014, 08:35 PM
I think Hibs should try and invite Murphs up post split, perhaps the derby at ER if we are bottom 6 - be a good send off from fans who really appreciated his efforts up here. Be good to see him again, great great player.

Maybe a pre-season friendly specifically in his honour...v Birmingham as suggested....don't think I'd want to inflict having to watch the present team on the man. He must already be feeling a bit down as it is.

portycabbage
03-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Naw, but he out jumped a tallboy.

Rob Jones?:wink:

heretoday
03-03-2014, 08:40 PM

That's a first class idea. Actually the whole 2007 League Cup winning team could be there!

Including Benji!

Iggy Pope
03-03-2014, 08:41 PM
That's a first class idea. Actually the whole 1997 League Cup winning team could be there!

That'll be 2007.
And most of them will have a game to play......

Jonnyboy
03-03-2014, 09:19 PM
One of the best and most naturally gifted players I've seen at ER in modern day times. Gutted for him, wish him all the best and offer heartfelt thanks for the entertainment he provided in a Hibs shirt

Hibernia Na Eir
03-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Still got a professional photo of DM lifting the League Cup. A great Hibee!!!

OsloHibs
03-03-2014, 09:56 PM
So sad to read this tonight. A great footballer and someone I won't ever forget. Good Luck.

Stevie Reid
04-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Really, really sad news but whilst 30 is very early for a player to stop playing these days, he has had a good career and will have made a good living.

Sky Sports News are actually pretty good at employing players forced to retire early as match reporters, they did so with Matt Murray and Neil Mellor recently - hopefully we'll see Murph on our screens again very soon :love ya!:

04-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Was sad to hear this, genuinely gutted for the guy. Great player and a genuinly nice guy so hopefully he still sticks around in football in some other way.

All the best David

squire
04-03-2014, 12:13 PM
An absolute joy to watch. My favourite from the Mowbray days and I still kept an eye on his performances with Birmingham. I met him one night in town and it cemented everything I knew about David Murphy. What a guy :not worth

TheFamous1875
04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Just realised something devastating: This will be Murphy's last year in FIFA! My Hibs Ultimate Team will be ruined!

What am I gonna do? I'll either have to play McGivern or Stevenson or go with 3 at the back n have Whittaker either RCB or RWB. Woe is me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Just realised something devastating: This will be Murphy's last year in FIFA! My Hibs Ultimate Team will be ruined!

What am I gonna do? I'll either have to play McGivern or Stevenson or go with 3 at the back n have Whittaker either RCB or RWB. Woe is me!

:boo hoo: I had a really good Hibs team on FUT a few years ago with Caldwell in form!

Sanger
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Murphy better going forward than Shades but shades faster and better defender. Murph more like Brownlee than Shades. DM great footballer and person.

Vault Boy
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Saddened to see this, all the best David. Superb player for us.

Billy Whizz
04-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Hopefully we invite him back to ER one day so we can show our appreciation of him

heretoday
04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Murphy better going forward than Shades but shades faster and better defender. Murph more like Brownlee than Shades. DM great footballer and person.

Sorry to say but Shades could be erratic. His splay-footed posture didn't help him at times when he was on the retreat as well. Murphy was far more solid and centred. Best left-back we ever had IMO.

Jonnyboy
04-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Sorry to say but Shades could be erratic. His splay-footed posture didn't help him at times when he was on the retreat as well. Murphy was far more solid and centred. Best left-back we ever had IMO.

Out of interest, did you ever see Joe Davis play?

Scouse Hibee
04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear that DM has had to retire through injury, sadly I very much doubt if we will ever again see the likes of his calibre at ER again.

sahib
04-03-2014, 07:12 PM

You rated Joe then? My old man used to think he was mediocre? I really can't remember his general play just the penalties.
Murphy was a class act, though and we need to unearth a few like that this summer.

Bay Area Hibees
04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Hope he made good money from time in Brum? Really deserves to have sim cash, hope he did ok.

jdships
04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Good question!!
I can remember FOUR outstanding left backs who have worn a Hibs jersey

Davie Shaw - " Famous Five" team
Joe Davis
Shades
Murphy

The best allround " No3" was , for me, Joe Davis : he kept everything simple and as a bonus was the best penalty taker I have seen in a Hibs jersey.
Shades and Murphy different types of players with M probably just getting the nod
Davie Shaw was wholehearted but unfortunately was on the small side but made up for it with ability to read a game.

Don't let's forget Joe T and Arthur Duncan :greengrin:wink::flag:

Jonnyboy
04-03-2014, 08:09 PM
You rated Joe then? My old man used to think he was mediocre? I really can't remember his general play just the penalties.
Murphy was a class act, though and we need to unearth a few like that this summer.

Not particularly, although he was ace at pens as you say

Murphy tops him, Shades and any other left back in my lifetime :aok:

Bishop Hibee
04-03-2014, 08:18 PM
What sad news. Frustrating when you see some of the turkeys playing well into their 30's. A fantastic player for us. One of the best left backs Hibs have ever had. Great in the tackle, good in the air, adept going forward and with the odd goal thrown in. I for one would pay to see a Hibs v Birmingham City as a testimonial.

Tom Hart RIP
05-03-2014, 04:45 AM
His free kick against St Johnstone at Tynecastle in the semi final was fantastic.
We sometimes forget that St J looked the more likely to score at the time so we have Murph to thank as much as anyone for us eventually winning the cup.

Tom Hart RIP
05-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Much as I admired Murph, Erich is still the best left back I have ever seen at ER but they were different types of player.

EVENTUALLY
05-03-2014, 08:02 AM

As did mine. In fact he thought he was murder and no captain either. John Parke on the other hand was considered to be superb.

heretoday
05-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Of course, yes. I never thought he was any more than an average full back though. The penalties were his big thing. He took over duties from Jim Scott who used to roll them into the corner until his confidence went.

Stevenson and Davis - "purveyors of quality penalties to the gentry".

Jonnyboy
05-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Of course, yes. I never thought he was any more than an average full back though. The penalties were his big thing. He took over duties from Jim Scott who used to roll them into the corner until his confidence went.

Stevenson and Davis - "purveyors of quality penalties to the gentry".

:greengrin :top marks

mim
05-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Parke was a silky player, Davis was solid, Schaedler was hard and fast.

David Murphy is the best left back I've seen at Hibs.

cameronw-hfc
05-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Not of his time at us, but still a good wee video of Murphy, wish him all the best in the future wherever he goes :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3WkZh9HKs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUW1HMToSBse9JgQtsm2vMsQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3WkZh9HKs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUW1HMToSBse9JgQtsm2vMsQ)

mjhibby
06-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Along with ulrick laursen the best lb ive seem er in the last 40 years. Great ball control and passing and played with a smile on his face. Oh that we had a team full of his standard.

bigstu
07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Modern day legend!

Hope Hibs invite him back to ER sometime!

Roxyhibee
07-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Just back from 2 week sunshine hols and read this about David Murphy. What a football player that guy was.

Remember Joe Davis and saw just about every game Shades played for us but David Murphy was the best left back I have ever seen at Easter Road.

Hope he's invited back to meet the Hibs fans one day soon.

NAE NOOKIE
08-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that DM has retired. The best LB we have had in the last 30 years and so very good at covering for missing defenders. The number of times he popped up to clear or make a tackle in the CH position or covering for Whittaker who was stranded up field was amazing. Pretty damn good going forward too.

A very intelligent player who I'm sure will make a good coach. Like every other Hibby I wish him all the very best, as does my pal who named her dug after him :greengrin

David Murphy .... Hibs legend.

Tom Hart RIP
10-03-2014, 10:07 AM
David Murphy says he would have loved to have finished his career at Hibs.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/03/david-murphy-chats-to-the-edinburgh-reporter/

TheFamous1875
10-03-2014, 10:18 AM

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/03/david-murphy-chats-to-the-edinburgh-reporter/

As sinful as it is to read he's retired before coming home, it's a massive compliment to our football club's culture, it's fans, and it's history that the young English lad who came here as an unknown took us to his heart and never forgot how great this club is. Really heartening to hear someone speak so highly of our football club and their time here.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-03-2014, 05:01 PM

David Murphy - TOP, TOP MAN :top marks

Bostonhibby
10-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Murphy was one of the best Full Backs since Schaedler, nae doubt about it. Shades was the best I have seen. His commitment to the Hibs was second to none. One of my favourite Hibs players ever.

3pm
10-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Murdoch played with Murphy?

Hiber-nation
10-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Murdoch played with Murphy?

Yeah, Murdock played a few games at the start of Mogga's first season before he moved to Crewe.