PDA

View Full Version : Question Is James McPake leaving at the end of the season?

Wotherspiniesta
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Reason I ask is he's changed his profile pic on twitter to him in a Coventry strip and posted a pic of him at Livi playing against Hibs?

I might be reading too much into it, but it looks quite suspicious.

J-C
02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Reason I ask is he's changed his profile pic on twitter to him in a Coventry strip and posted a pic of him at Livi playing against Hibs?

Wouldn't be surprised, no longer skipper, bad back and contract up at the end of season.

Thecat23
02-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Yes I'm 100% sure he'll be gone.

3pm
02-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Yes I'm 100% sure he'll be gone.

Do you think he'd be fit enough to play again this season?

Unseen work
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Forgot we even had him tbh

Will he a good wage to spend on someone else

Pretty Boy
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Can Hibs afford to keep a player with a chronic back problem?

I'm all for supporting players through injuries and troubled times. However if his contract is up and we are going to be working with a compact squad we really can't have a player with a known long term issue.

Wotherspiniesta
02-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Do you think he'd be fit enough to play again this season?

Pretty sure TheCat23 had him as retired about 6 months ago.

3pm
02-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Pretty sure TheCat23 had him as retired about 6 months ago.

He did but McPake doesn't believe so!

I just wonder if he'll be available.

Heisenberg
02-03-2014, 01:41 PM
He's finished and not very good at football. Will also be on quite hefty wages I'd imagine.

Sir David Gray
02-03-2014, 01:43 PM
No doubt he'll 'do a Tim Clancy' and sign for a St Mirren or Ross County in the summer and never miss out on a matchday squad.

Thecat23
02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
He did but McPake doesn't believe so!

I just wonder if he'll be available.

I'm still sticking by that. He was told to jack it. It's hard for a pro to take that and he may well play on at another team but is risking his future doing so. I don't think he'll play for us again.

merritthibees
02-03-2014, 01:53 PM
tell you what… i wish he was fit just now with the back 4 we have got. He’s not amazing but I’m pretty sure he’s better than what we have at the moment :agree:… Just my opinion.

Ronniekirk
02-03-2014, 02:00 PM

He is off ski Maybe change of picture Profile reflects how he and some other Senior Players are feeling right now ie Send to Coventry .

Keith_M
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I see no reason to keep the guy. We need players we can rely on being able to play and play well and that's just not him.

HoboHarry
02-03-2014, 02:18 PM
He's finished and not very good at football. Will also be on quite hefty wages I'd imagine.
Was that comment really necessary? He did well for us and at least began the process of changing the "soft" culture at the club.

green.and.white
02-03-2014, 02:22 PM
He is on one of the biggest wages at the club, if not the biggest so I hope he does leave. We need folk who actually play

Hibercelona
02-03-2014, 02:29 PM

His performance took a huge dip after his reoccurring back issues. But I loved him playing for us when he first arrived. He played a vital part in keeping us in the league with an abysmal team.

Will be sorry to see him go. But will probably be the best move for him and the club.

jdships
02-03-2014, 02:32 PM
The " buzz" from East Mains is he is not yet 100% fit and there is a chance he may decide to retire at the end of the season .
Evidently still does not take part in " normal " contact training .
Stress this is third hand :greengrin

Heisenberg
02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Was that comment really necessary? He did well for us and at least began the process of changing the "soft" culture at the club.

It's the truth unfortunately. He actually cared which is a positive but I don't rate him as a defender at all. Constantly out of position and diving about all over the park to try and salvage the situations that he'd caused in the first place. He'll be on a big if not the biggest wage at the club. We need someone better and less injury prone.

Hibercelona
02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
It's the truth unfortunately. He actually cared which is a positive but I don't rate him as a defender at all. Constantly out of position and diving about all over the park to try and salvage the situations that he'd caused in the first place. He'll be on a big if not the biggest wage at the club. We need someone better and less injury prone.

He really wasn't that bad until his back problems returned. Everybody keeps judging him based on the games he played through the pain barrier.

He was one of the most solid CBs i've ever witnessed in a Hibs top, when he first arrived at the club.

edwards
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM

He did make a difference to the club when he arrived and his determination was good for the club. I honestly feel he would have been fine if not for his ongoing problems, wish him all the best whatever he chooses.

Thecat23
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
James was superb for us when he came up and he defo contributed hugely to keeping us in this league. Shame he has suffered these back problems because he seems a genuine guy who gives his all.

Maybe that's why he refuses to throw in the towel but he not doing his body any favours. I'd like to see James in a coaching role tbh.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
He did make a difference to the club when he arrived and his determination was good for the club. I honestly feel he would have been fine if not for his ongoing problems, wish him all the best whatever he chooses.

:agree: :top marks

HoboHarry
02-03-2014, 02:59 PM
It's not the truth - it's simply your opinion. My opinion is that your comment was regrettable and snidey and therefore completely unnecessary. Be a grown up and just wish the guy well.

Heisenberg
02-03-2014, 03:01 PM
It's not the truth - it's simply your opinion. My opinion is that your comment was regrettable and snidey and therefore completely unnecessary. Be a grown up and just wish the guy well.

Of course I wish him well. I just dont rate him anymore.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
I really like McPake and would like him to stay if his back problems are over. All the best to the guy whatever he does, he loves this club and steadied the ship when he came in and that's why we stayed up.

Thank you Captain.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Excellent player, skipper and person, who put himself at risk playing for the club. I hope he does retire, not because I don't rate him, but because he's still a young man with a young family and a lot of life ahead of him, and back problems are very serious, especially the degenerative sort he's meant to have. Athletes and sportsmen sometimes need to be protected from themselves.

Wish him nothing but the best, whatever he decides.

Ozyhibby
02-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Did he have a bad back in the cup final against Hearts because he was brutal that day? I would not have had him back after that but that's just me.

RIP Bestie
02-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I really really hope he is leaving. If we are to improve we need much better than the likes of McPake. Injury or not, he is not good enough.

RIP Bestie
02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Did he have a bad back in the cup final against Hearts because he was brutal that day? I would not have had him back after that but that's just me.
No it's not just you.

Hero76
02-03-2014, 03:35 PM
James Mcpake has no intentions of retirement. His rehabilitation from back surgery is going well.

RIP Bestie
02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Sums McPake up in a nutshell for me.

DaveF
02-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Can't see him playing again for Hibs and I wish nothing but good luck whatever his next move may be. He drove a dire team (yes, worse than this one!) from the brink of relegation almost by himself and gave the club some leadership which was sadly lacking.

We could certainly do with a few people with his character and desire in the team right now.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Can't see him playing again for Hibs and I wish nothing but good luck whatever his next move may be. He drove a dire team (yes, worse than this one!) from the brink of relegation almost by himself and gave the club some leadership which was sadly lacking.

We could certainly do with a few people with his character and desire in the team right now.

Agreed. A fit McPake under Terry Butcher's influence would be a great player for Hibs.

Holmesdale Hibs
02-03-2014, 09:10 PM
James was superb for us when he came up and he defo contributed hugely to keeping us in this league. Shame he has suffered these back problems because he seems a genuine guy who gives his all.

Maybe that's why he refuses to throw in the towel but he not doing his body any favours. I'd like to see James in a coaching role tbh.

Agree with all of this. A fit McPake would be an automatic starter for our team. Always have 100% and seemed to genuinely care about our club.

If he does leave, I wish him all the best. Would be happy to see him stay on in a coaching role.

SaulGoodman
02-03-2014, 09:24 PM

The whole team was brutal that day.

Mcpake and Griffiths looked like the only two that cared

Ozyhibby
02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Agree with all of this. A fit McPake would be an automatic starter for our team. Always have 100% and seemed to genuinely care about our club.

If he does leave, I wish him all the best. Would be happy to see him stay on in a coaching role.

What is his coaching experience? Has he got all his qualifications?
If he has neither then you might as well say you'd like him kept on as the 'New Business Development Manager'.