PDA

View Full Version : Craig Left Midfield - Thomson Holding Midfield

The Harp Awakes
01-03-2014, 11:06 PM
I think this would give far better balance to the team.

Others have said it doesn't matter because the way Butcher's team plays, the midfield is missed out, but I disagree. Thomson would take the ball deep and find players with passes and Craig would be on the end of these passes causing the opposition problems.

We all want Butcher to succeed but I think he has made a major error in his team selection in this respect.

matty_f
01-03-2014, 11:10 PM
I think you're right. Fenlon got pelters for playing Craig wide, but he got much more out of him than Butcher is getting in this system.

green.and.white
01-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Aye Craig's pace out wide would cause all sorts of problems :confused: He is not a winger, end of discussion

Kenny1875
01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Aye Craig's pace out wide would cause all sorts of problems :confused: He is not a winger, end of discussion

He's clearly not a center mid either.

matty_f
01-03-2014, 11:18 PM

Don't reply, that was the end of discussion. He said so.

MWHIBBIES
01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Aye Craig's pace out wide would cause all sorts of problems :confused: He is not a winger, end of discussionMuch more to being a wide midfielder than pace, plenty of top class wide players weren't fast

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Craig played out wide for St Johnstone most of the time last season.

pedroorange1875
01-03-2014, 11:35 PM
The problem we have, and it is past seasons problems also, is that we sign good players who are good in a specific system which we never play. Craig was excellent (a lot of times) for St Johnstone in a specific system that they play and we do not. Heffernan also at killie, but we dont play that system. We need to start signing players for a system that Butcher wants to play. Craig is never in a million years a defensive playmaking midfielder, hence the massive punts. And Heffernan(and all the other strikers) are not target men and never were, yet we continually punt and bypass the midfield. Anyway getting a bit confused what system we play and i think Terry is also, not much winging and crosses into the box on Friday, or increasing the chances we have. In fact Friday was worse than anything under Fenlon imo, and i never wanted Fenlon

J-C
02-03-2014, 12:21 AM

No he's an attacking midfielder, play him in the hole between the mid and striker, it's where he played for St Johnstone.

green.and.white
02-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Craig started the season out wide and the vast majority on here iirc said he should be played through the middle which is his 'natural position'. He can't play either position - he isn't good enough unfortunately

J-C
02-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Craig started the season out wide and the vast majority on here iirc said he should be played through the middle which is his 'natural position'. He can't play either position - he isn't good enough unfortunately
This the same Liam Craig that scored 33 goals and 16 assists in an average St Johnstone team since 2009, I'd like to know what the hell happens to all these decent players once they turn up at E Mains.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-03-2014, 12:36 AM
This the same Liam Craig that scored 33 goals and 16 assists in an average St Johnstone team since 2009, I'd like to know what the hell happens to all these decent players once they turn up at E Mains.

Me too.

green.and.white
02-03-2014, 12:49 AM

The mind boggles

yekimevol
02-03-2014, 09:33 AM

Neither is Stevenson, there's not much difference between the two in terms of pace.

Hibercelona
02-03-2014, 09:42 AM

You're asking people to think too much.

If somebody on here says a player is crap, it means they're crap. (Even if they weren't crap before they came here, or after they leave).

J-C
02-03-2014, 10:23 AM
You're asking people to think too much.

If somebody on here says a player is crap, it means they're crap. (Even if they weren't crap before they came here, or after they leave).

It just beggars belief what happens to all these players we've signed this past few years that they suddenly become crap overnight, ever since E Mains arrived.

Hibercelona
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
It just beggars belief what happens to all these players we've signed this past few years that they suddenly become crap overnight, ever since E Mains arrived.

Seems like its a nice place to train. Players seem to have a good time there.

Perhaps thats the problem?

Eyrie
02-03-2014, 11:08 AM
I've been in favour of that ever since Butcher moved Craig to a deeper role. But the problem for me at the moment is that it means dropping one of our more consistent players in Stevenson to accommodate the out of form Craig. If the move means that Craig can get back to his form at the start of the season, then I'd be in favour.

Of course, we've not been able to try this because Thomson has inconveniently been injured.

Paloschi
02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Whilst Fenlon got the 'best' from Liam Craig earlier in the season I would agree that he may be more effective in another position. He has scored goals but I can only recall him playing well in those games.

I'd like to see Paul Cairney play LM in the meantime. He played very well there last season and it's his best position.

A midfield of Watmore, Stanton, Thomson and Cairney would be my shout moving forward. With Harris coming on for Cairney late on. When Taiwo is back i'd move Stanton to Right Mid and have Thomson and Taiwo in midfield.

Craig should be dropped in the meantime. He has been poor since the Dundee United away game.

SmashinGlass
02-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I think this would give far better balance to the team.

Others have said it doesn't matter because the way Butcher's team plays, the midfield is missed out, but I disagree. Thomson would take the ball deep and find players with passes and Craig would be on the end of these passes causing the opposition problems.

We all want Butcher to succeed but I think he has made a major error in his team selection in this respect.

I'm assuming the widely reported fact that Kevin Thomson has been out injured for the best part of 2 months has escaped your attention?

I'd have Thomson in next week though, as having seen him at the U20s game yesterday, he looks fit enough to return to first team action.

green.and.white
02-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Neither is Stevenson, there's not much difference between the two in terms of pace.

I think Stevenson is far quicker than Craig!!

Speedway
02-03-2014, 01:43 PM
You remember the few times when Craig has played on the left for us and why he doesn't now, yes?

Ronniekirk
02-03-2014, 02:08 PM
I think Stevenson is far quicker than Craig!!
Agree he has a turn of speed on him that Craig lacks but some of Craig's finishes have been better than our strikers .We need his goals if we are to push for sixth.

Brightside
02-03-2014, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't have Craig anywhere near the team at the moment. No idea what is up with him but he put in zero effort on Friday.

J-C
03-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Anyone else maybe think TB has lost the dressing room a bit, we had the hopeless tactics of Fenlon and we al thought TB would turn it around a little but he seems to be employing the same hoofball tactics as wee Pat. Craig as we know is an attacking midfielder but for some weird reason TB sees him as a holding one, now Craig won't complain too much as he'll probably play anywhere but the whole shape and team look disjointed.

The Sea-gull
03-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Don't think Craig is a wide midfielder or a central midfielder in a 4 man midfield.

To get the best out of him I think he has to play in a three man central midfield with a good holding midfielder in the middle and him occupying one of the positions either side of him. This would free him up to help create and attack a bit more.

Or, play a 4-2-3-1 with Craig wide left in the three. For the rest of the season, maybe we should try Taiwo and Thomson as holding players with Craig - Stanton - Harris as the three playing more advanced roles supporting the striker - not really sure who this should be to be honest, maybe Haynes as he is the one who has had the least opportunities.

The Sea-gull
03-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Anyone else maybe think TB has lost the dressing room a bit, we had the hopeless tactics of Fenlon and we al thought TB would turn it around a little but he seems to be employing the same hoofball tactics as wee Pat. Craig as we know is an attacking midfielder but for some weird reason TB sees him as a holding one, now Craig won't complain too much as he'll probably play anywhere but the whole shape and team look disjointed.

He may have lost the dressing room but it is probably inevitable as many players will have already decided they don't want to be here next season and in many cases, will know they are not wanted.

Quite confident that TB will do a much better job once he has a good few of his own men in and signed up on permanent deals. The board has to go the extra mile to support him in doing this as early as possible in the summer otherwise we'll lileky end up with another crap season and folk will then turn on TB.

The Harp Awakes
03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm assuming the widely reported fact that Kevin Thomson has been out injured for the best part of 2 months has escaped your attention?

I'd have Thomson in next week though, as having seen him at the U20s game yesterday, he looks fit enough to return to first team action.

No, it hasn't escaped my attention, but he wasn't in the team before the injury and was told to find another Club in January.

superfurryhibby
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
No he's an attacking midfielder, play him in the hole between the mid and striker, it's where he played for St Johnstone.

Exactly. WTF is Butcher doing with playing him as a deep lying mid and Taiwo pushing on? Ridiculous tactics really.

Michael
03-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd like to see Taiwo as a holding midfielder with Thomson in front. The reason being Thomson is one of the few players in the team that can pass the ball. In this role Thomson could provide support Liam Craig playing as a central attacking midfielder (and a couple of wide players that push up the pitch).

It would be nice if we had at least one wide player with a bit of pace, so hopefully Harris gets his mojo back. I don't see Craig as a winger, except as back up.

Under out current 'tactics' Liam Craig is wasted as the ball keeps flying over his head!

patlowe
03-03-2014, 12:36 PM

The thing is, Craig will probably maintain a similar ratio at Hibs this season. He's scored a decent number of goals, you can't take that away from him to be fair, but statistics shouldn't overshadow the fact that he isn't very good. The thought of seeing him control a ball before yet again aimlessly hooking/hoofing it over his head is enough to make me weep.